Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros

agirginis, Jun 18, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

2011 vintage opened 06/15/12

A: Opaque black, even when held up to light. A bit of fizz dies off quickly. Lighter body than I expected, dark enough to stain the glass brown.

S: Enormous nose of dark fruit, burnt sugar, cherries, chocolate, toffee. The booze is remarkably well hidden here, it doesn't sting at all. Very complex but inviting.

T: Big fruitiness on top, loads of toffee and cocoa in the center and a crispy crème brulée finish. Very sweet, it leaves the glass and lips very sugary.

M: A very syrupy beer, pungently sweet. The first half went down a lot faster than the second, but this is a fantastic beer.

Been wanting to try this one for years, very glad to have finally opened one. Dark Lord is an awesome beer, very complex and intimidating.

mattsander, Jun 16, 2012

Twrang, Jun 16, 2012

phingdong, Jun 15, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18%

beernut, Jun 15, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

jdcooper88, Jun 15, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

2011 poured into two wine glasses and split with a friend. (Thank God there was a second person sipping this down)

A: Dark Brown to Black in Color not as thick as I was expecting it to be. Very very little brown head/foam, no lacing.

S: Dark, Roasted Barley, some coffee. Had an almost earthy smell to it, very intriguing.

T: At first the Flavor is very balance and interesting with complex flavors: Dark Malt, Coffee, Chocolaty Big Barley backbone. But then as the beer moved to the back of my mouth and as I swallowed this balance complex beer turned into a whole nother monster. SYRUP and BOOZE! Not like a Kahlua Syrup and Booze, (I actually got some out to check, since they are only 5% ABV Different) The flavor on swallowing was so intense it almost ruined it for me.

M: Not as think of a body as I was expecting especially with how high the ABV is. Could have had more carbonation though. The hard part about this beer is the Boozy feel on swallowing.

O: This beer should start another category of its own called "Barley Port" Cause this is exactly what it is. Just as Port is a wine to be sipped this is a beer to be sipped, Try taking a full mouthful and you will know what I mean. Big beer, hard to imagine how they do it and for that I give them props but I don't really like port or desert wines and I didn't really enjoy how sweet this beer was.

animortician, Jun 13, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

mychalg9, Jun 12, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

paintball363, Jun 10, 2012

Rado, Jun 08, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -64.9%

Pours black in the glass with a frothy khaki head that has good retention looks mildly viscous leaving spotty lacing

sweet,coffee chocolate

EXTREMELY sweet kinda of a mess cant really find coffee,chocolate,or anything here

Mouth feel like a melted milk shake

Overall this beer wa god awful extremely over hyped and I just don't understand it. IMO the trade value here is for a bud lights platinum

rtaps, Jun 07, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

DoubleU, Jun 07, 2012

OtisCampbell, Jun 05, 2012

Had the 2012 dark lord red wax bottle. It was the first time I'd had a Russian imperial stout, and I wish I could have it more often than 4 per year. I agree with a lot I reviews on this beer. It does have a motor oil consistency going down. It is dark as night with a light head and carbonation. Tastes like cofffee , chocolate, and the alcohol content is very well hidden. I live 40 minute from the brewery and am currently moving to California. I will definitely be flying back next year for my 4 beer allotment.

menkros, Jun 04, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass vintage 2012. Big thanks to Wade5614 for the trade, and Exiled for the advice.

Into the snifter, it pours out chestnut brown, hitting the glass body and barely making a head at all of a simple tan light brown, fading under some faint snapping carbonation. Leaves a little filmy top and can't hang on, giving just a faint collar, with some nice leg action also and scattered leopard lacing barely.

Nose is quite interesting, suprinsingly not hot, mild roast character and dark red fruits. Cherry and raspberry, some dark chocolate and even some sensations of sea salt, maybe even caramel. Quite intriguing and nice, makes me love this salt and chocolate combo which is a favorite of mine.

Palate hits with a tight fizz at first that doesn't seem noticeable after numerous sips later. Extremely thick and syrupy and liqueur like palate. Memories of raspberry syrup hit, maybe some licorice, and then it's full on Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. Roast character takes a bit of back seat with quaffs. Syrup sweetness is quite big but in the context of how the liquor feels it comes off as a digestif and seems to work. Roast lingers slightly and rushes dark fruit toward the end with also a sense of alcohol bitterness (bitters, digsetif, etc...).

Overall it's really sweet for my tastes but tolerable, and also fun. Quite an interesting ride, glad to have given it a whirl. It's a sipper which doesn't always appeal to me for beer, but it's without question worth drinking.

smakawhat, Jun 04, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18%

GuisseppeFranco, Jun 03, 2012

vrbulldog22, Jun 03, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks for the trade jmarsh123!

2012 vintage. 22oz bottle poured into a FFF stemmed tulip.

A: One finger tan head. Good retention, tight bubbles. Body is very dark, but I reviewed this outdoors in low-light and couldn’t get a great sense of the color/opacity. Looks inviting though.

S: Molasses, sweet malt, faint chocolate nibs and unappealing dark fruit.

T: Yikes! I was expecting sweet but this surpassed my expectations. Pretty shocking. It’s not really even stout-like. Where’s the roast and/or bitterness? It starts cloyingly sweet and then you get a small hit of coffee flavor but without any coffee bitterness. That is somewhat unique I guess.

M: Creamy texture, yet thin body...especially for such a big stout. Speaking of which, where’s the alcohol? Pretty amazing that this is a 15% beer. That’s the best thing I can say about this.

O: I was expecting to be disappointed, but this was worse than I anticipated. I’m glad I got to have it so now I can get it behind me and not worry about having to trade for it again.

mjtiernan, Jun 03, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -50.1%

2010 vintage, my 3rd DL. Still a drain pour.

A: Poured a solid black with good carbonation and a nice brownish head, some lacing present.

S: Immediate soy, tobacco leaves, leather, smoked meats, choco cherries

T: Immediate soy sauce, raisins and prunes, tobacco leaves, chocolate covered cherries, more soy sauce(dying or dead yeast), roastiness which transitions to leather, smoked meat, booze sting with a bitter chocolate, bitter, harsh, boozey finish. that soy and leather just kill me.

M: Big body, heavy and harsh

O: One of the most overrated beers of all time...gotta love that hype train

barleywinefiend, Jun 02, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

22oz bottle from mbierz (thanks for the trade, Matt!). 2011 release. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours vicious oil black with a half finger quickly-vanishing mocha head. No lacing, just a gorgeous jet black pool.

Interesting sweet nose. Soy, dark fruit, candy sugar, vanilla, cocoa.

Wasn't sure what to think at first. Unlike any other stout I've tried. Very sweet, with tart cherry, vanilla, coffee, caramel, burnt sugar and soy sauce. At first I thought it may be too sweet but the more I drank, the more I wanted. Flavors blend well and hide the 15% abv incredibly well. Long sweet delicious aftertaste.

Very thick and heavy with almost no carbonation. Almost spot on for how I like my stouts.

Very happy to finally try this one and even happier to have a 2012 bottle to drink at a later date. It may sound cliche, but there is not another imperial stout out there like this one. Dark Lord is original, distinctive and incredibly delicious. Well worth a trade and I will certainly be looking for more.

ThickNStout, May 31, 2012