Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Destral

Nevada

12-06-2011 22:54:57 | More by Destral
phisigben

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

2010

I had this as a part of a small tasting thrown for a friend. It was poured into a tasting snifter it produced a great dark mocha colored head with about a finger and a half width. The smell has improved with some age when fresh it smelled hot and sticky sweet, that has mellowed very well the coffee comes threw a little more. Huge coffee flavor, some chocolate, dark fruit flavor like fig. The mouth feel has also thinned a little an some of that sticky sweetness has mellowed, it still coats your entire mouth and stays there. Overall this is one of my favorite beers I guess you can call me a homer but I am so happy FFF brews in my state.

12-06-2011 13:37:11 | More by phisigben
neenerzig

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

My good friend Passow (iamaguitargod) was most awesome enough to split a bomber of this as his present for my 29th birthday, which is on Wednesday December 7, 2011. This bomber was a bomber of the 2009 batch, which according to my friend and the research him and his friends, who have all had other vintages of this fine beer too, the 2009 is at its peak right now. Poured a into a snifter, this beer is a solid dark opaque color that is lets in zero light at all, so far living up to its name. The only presence of foam that is present is not a head at all, even when the beer is first poured, but rather a nice thick brown ring that lines the inside of the glass when poured, which settles to nothing pretty quickly, so that part is a bit of a disappointment. No lacing whatsoever. However, after a sip or two was taken I noticed a coat of the unfermented residual sugars coating the inside of the glass, making the glass appear to be quite foggy, or dirty. The inside of the glass is coated more with this substance each sip taken. I've had a lot of beers in my day, a lot of imperial stouts, and a fair amount of beers, including a few imperial stouts, that were over 12% ABV and have never encountered such a phenomenon as this! Aromas of roasted caramel malt, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit such as raisin, plum and cherry. Has a very sweet taste with the aforementioned roasted caramel malt, chocolate, coffee and dark fruit flavors. This is certainly the most wonderful aroma I have ever experienced with any beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Rounded out with a whiskey/bourbon like flavor and a somewhat syrupy aftertaste. If I didn't know any better I would swear this beer had been aged in whiskey barrels, but I know that is not the case with this batch. No discernible hop presence whatsoever. I can totally taste why the port wine comparison is made here, and that aspect reminds me slightly, just slightly, of Sam Adams Triple Bock with the syrupyness and all, only this beer is 1,000 times tastier and much more palatable. Overall it is fanfuckingtastic flavorwise! Getting to finally drink this is certainly quite a beer milestone for me personally. Has a very thick, chewy mouthfeel, with low carbonation. This beer really coats the inside of the mouth, similar to the way ot coats the inside of the glass, and the flavors linger for quite awhile indeed. It took me quite a long time, several hours, to finish this epic beer. It was worth the wait and I hope I get to enjoy it again. Thanks for sharing Mr. Passow!

Eric

12-05-2011 20:47:31 | More by happy5930
DoomyMcDoomdoom

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

2011 Yellow Wax

I was not fortunate enough to attend Dark Lord Day. But I am fortunate enough to have friends that regularly do and value me enough to share.

The 2011 variety of this fan favorite was a bit sweet for my taste but it provided a unique body and consistency that I hadn't experienced in Dark Lord before.

However, it's syrupy body is its downfall. If this beer to have one fault it is that it feels as though you're drinking maple syrup from a glass. It's a bit rough to choke down.

12-05-2011 19:23:35 | More by DoomyMcDoomdoom

FreshmanPour77

12-03-2011 20:34:22 | More by FreshmanPour77
crewfan16

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

2011 vintage poured into a snifter. thanks again to modormango for the trade.

a- dark deep brown with almost no head.

s- boozy roasted malt, chocolate anda little cherry perhaps. mollasses and caramel sweetness as well

t- chocolate covered cherry, some roasted coffee. like the bottle says, very port wine-like. just a hint of anise and hops at the end. very, very tasty and complex

m- thick and syrupy body. booze is very present, especially as it warms up. a very big beer.

overall, a huge great RIS. So glad I got to finally try this bad boy. I would love to have a few more to age, but thats how it goes with such a rare brew.

12-03-2011 19:38:27 | More by crewfan16
ashleylake

12-03-2011 13:57:44 | More by ashleylake
ObeMaltKinobee

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

12-03-2011 09:49:06 | More by ObeMaltKinobee
nmbr0ne

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

2010 vintage poured into snifter.

Appearance: Dark black body with a tiny head. Little to no lacing though after the head dissipates.

Smell: A strong boozy smell slightly burns the nostrils. Coffee and chocolate notes, but not as roasty as I would like. You can definitely tell it's a high alcohol beer.

Taste: Sweet. Maybe even too sweet. I can detect the coffee and chocolate, but it is overwhelmed by the sweetness. Doesn't taste as boozy as it smells.

Mouthfeel: Slight burn of the alcohol in the finish. Great beer to warm up with. Decent carbonation. Thick body.

Overall: The beer would be a lot better if it wasn't so sweet. I think that's what put it over the top for me. The flavors are good, but I can't get past the sweetness. It's also missing more roasted notes.

12-03-2011 04:47:01 | More by nmbr0ne
Jparkanzky

12-02-2011 20:14:52 | More by Jparkanzky
kzoobrew

2.13/5  rDev -50.2%

Bottle courtesy of Jason. I thank you for the bottle, do not hold the contents against you.

2011.

Dark Lord, you haunt my dreams. I wake up in a cold sweat only to find you lingering on my tongue. Sand paper is no match for your relentless onslaught of sweetness. I would remove my tongue if I thought it would help, I trust you would find a way to overcome that obstacle. I humbly beg for mercy, your wrath is more than I can handle.

Black, obsidian, opaque, void of light, pure evil. Minimal deep brown head, this too soon becomes victim to the menacing villan that lurks beneath.

The aroma, the wolf in sheeps clothing. The aroma could be described simply as sweet, though that would not do it justice. Sugary, syrupy malt. Overloaded with chocolate, simply intense. I struggle to find anything below the sweetness. Minimal roast, slight coffee maybe. When anybody goes to this much trouble to masks their darkness with sweetness you no their intentions are anything but pure.

The taste, pure evil is unleashed. Sweet, why are you doing this to me type of sweet. Step aside Creme Brulee, your instant diabetes is no match for me kind of sweet. There is some chocolate there, scant amounts of coffee and roast, each of which is dwarfed but a flavor that can only be described as sweet. Sugar water sweetness, undiscernible flavor, can only be described as sweet.

Full bodied, syrupy texture. Dark Lord lays so heavy my mouth appears to be watering. Do not be fooled, my tongue is actually crying. The mouthfeel is just excessive in every aspect. Too big, too syrupy, finish is too long.

I do not want to say that all Dark Lords are this evil, but this vintage is some special type of evil. It is just too much. Even a small pour ravaged me. I feel no shame in admitting weakness, I am simply not man enough to tame the evil with in this bottle. This is a vintage I will avoid in the future.

12-02-2011 16:17:58 | More by kzoobrew

paulozanello

Brazil

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

2011 yellow wax

Pours a viscous dark brown color with bright red hues below the light. It produces a small sized brown head that quickly dissipates, leaving no lacing. It looks like liquor.

Aroma is very powerful, vinous and complex with notes of dark fruits (plums, ripe grapes), dark malts, molasses, chocolate, coffee, vanilla and a slight alcohol volatile component.

Taste starts malty with dark grain and molasses, with nice notes of coffee, dark fruits, dark chocolate and vanilla along with it. It is indeed very sweet but not overpowering. Not much roasted malt notes here.

Body is heavy and carbonation is low. Despite being sweet the beer has a long and complex finish, with the different perceptions changing in your mouth after the sip. The abv is definitely there but in that good warming way.

Overall it is an outstanding beer with good complexity of flavors. It does lack more roasted and bitter notes to balance the molasses, but even with these flaws it is still a hell of a stout.

12-01-2011 23:43:15 | More by paulozanello