Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
hotmanflab666

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

what can i say about the darklord, most look at this like a gigantic stout, which it is. but not the best of all of them, darklord is a very good but rough drink. very hot and strong rigid complex flavors, i drank out of brandy sifter. very good, just split the bottle with a friend

05-06-2011 02:40:11 | More by hotmanflab666
orangesol

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Big thanks to Deuane for busting this one out of the basement for Hojaminbag and myself to try at 2am on DLD. 2007 silver waxed bottle poured into a taster glass.

A - Pours opaque black with a small half finger tall dark tan head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving my glass tinted a dark shade of brown.

S - Smells of rich chocolate sweetness, dark roasted coffee, dark fruits like figs and raisins, light vanilla sweetness, and a very faint cherry twang. This one has aged beautifully over the last four years.

T - Plenty of chocolate sweetness up front slowly giving way to a mix of dark roasted coffee and more chocolate malt. As the sweetness begins to die down you can detect some of the vanilla, dark fruits, and a bit more of that cherry twang. Finish has tons of sweet roast lingering for quite awhile. This is one of the better vintages of DL I have had.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sticky sweet feel with plenty of lingering roast in the finish. I have had this fresh and aged, and aged is by far the way to go.

O - I have had a few of the other vintages of DL before and they have all been excellent. This one has aged very well with most of the rough edges being smoothed out and the over the top booze dieing down a bit. Excellent stuff. Thanks again Deuane.

05-06-2011 00:36:53 | More by orangesol
ChugginOil

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Review #100!!

First 2011 bottle out of my 4pack. I'm celebrating the last of my finals for this semester with my cousin and a bottle of this bad boy.

Poured from a yellow waxed bomber into a tulip.

This one pours a very thick dark brown color and ends up an even darker brown that appears to have cola colored edging when held to the light. The head was minimal when poured but after a few swirls of the glass, Dark Lord leaves a fingers worth of dark, caramel colored, fast dissipating head. This brew has an intense amount of sticky oily legs that leave the glass a tinted brown color.

The nose is a wonderful bouquet of chocolate, cherries, figs, some earthy notes, coffee, a bit of vanilla, an even smaller amount of hops and booze all wrapped up together and pretty evenly matched. Chocolate covered cherries with espresso comes to mind.

The taste, where to begin with the taste! First off, it hits my lips with an iron fist, of thickness that is. Sweet milk chocolate and coffee come in side by side and make their way for a molasses, cherry and plum palate bath. The taste is akin to taking a sip of quality coffee while having a bite of cherry jam infused German chocolate cake in your mouth. The sweetness isn't overpowering but makes this one easy to drink because it masks the ABV quite well.

The mouthfeel is without a doubt full-bodied. This is probably one of the thickest beers I have had (closely matched with BCBS). Awesome presence and aftertaste that linger throughout. The oily feel and little carbonation tosses the flavors across my palate like a rag doll. The velvety smooth motor oil has a feeling akin to whole milk.

Overall, this one stands up to the hype and slaps it in the face. Big, bold, ballsy flavors come to the table and they mean business. Dark Lord has everything I want in a beer, tons of flavor, thickness, drinkability, and madness. This beast is amazing and I will be attending the next 60 Dark Lord Days to acquire it.

05-05-2011 23:17:25 | More by ChugginOil
SirBenton

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

I was able to sample this beer thanks to my new favorite cousin.

It poured like engine oil. It's almost completely opaque with a gorgeous deep dark brown coloring. there was not much head when poured, but a good swirl of the glass brings a little head to fruition. When swirled, Legs were left on the side of the glass; this the thickest beer I've ever had.
I was overwhelmed at the complexity of this beer's smell. Chocolate was at the forefront of the smell, followed by a smell of cherry and an earthy smell with the alcohol rearing it's head towards the end.
I've never tasted anything so well balanced and complex. The feel of this beer while drinking was very similar to the texture of milk. Chocolate flavors hit first, with the fruit shining through closely after. the coffee shines throughout, and keeps all the other flavors in check. Also, the alcohol level hits you at the end with a decent kick. Fairly well masked though.

Overall, this beer is worth all the hype. It's fantastically crafted and extremely well balanced. I'm going to definitely be attending the next Dark Lord Day!

05-05-2011 23:10:37 | More by SirBenton
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2007 Edition.

This was yet another bottle shared with me by Deuane and SierraGS. The hospitality of Deuane and Carolyn knows no bounds. Thanks!

The body is black and thick looking. There is only a little bit of brown foam, but when swirled the liquid coats the glass like wine.

The aroma is packed with a good bit of sweetness, all kinds of coffee and a good bit of chocolate.

Oh man, this is really good. I'd say coffee takes the forefront, with a little bit of roast flavor to back it up. Then comes chocolate: first comes flavors of milk chocolate and then some notes of dark and bitter chocolate. Four years of age and there is still just a hint of hops that are hovering around in the background. Some dark fruits nudge forward, with cherries and dates. I expected this thing to be a sweet mess too, but the sweetness is in control and quite good, coming in the form of molasses and a bit of caramel flavor. I pick up a little bit of vanilla also. This beer is incredibly smooth and well-integrated.

The mouthfeel is huge. Smooth and heavy, almost like a light syrup. It works really well for the massive flavor profile that it delivers to your tongue.

Packed with flavor, not too boozy, and very smooth. Dark Lord is the real deal. I never bothered to try Dark Lord before because I honestly didn't think I would like it. Big stouts that are just a mess of alcohol, heat or cloying sweetness are not my thing; for example, I wasn't a fan of Black Tuesday and didn't like Chocolate Rain. So I went into trying Dark Lord more curiously than excitedly. The next occasion that I crack one of these will come sooner. With that said, I think 4 years of age on one of these was excellent, and I'm not sure that I would drink it with less.

05-05-2011 19:01:08 | More by Hojaminbag
ruppert2p

1.93/5  rDev -54.9%

2011 Dark Lord Imperial Stout picked up by my son at Dark Lord Day and shared with friends during a night of beer and boardgames.

It poured jet black with red highlight when the wine glass was held up to the light. A gentle pour yielded a subtle head of tight tan bubbles. The nose was full of molasses, toasty malts, raisins and alcohol. First sips yielded a strange vegetal taste . It is very sweet with hints of dirt, and vanilla—maybe soft fruits. As it warmed, alcohol became more dominant with warming sherry notes and a hint of coffee. Full and round mouth feel. I was prepared to like this more than I did. I am sure it would become more rounded with age.

05-05-2011 14:56:46 | More by ruppert2p
jonandhisflask

Kentucky

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

2011 dark lord, my first thanks to my bud jeff

A-Deep hellish ambers to black, great tan head.. holds for about 30 seconds.

S-Bursts of alcohol and dark fruits, chocolates, roasted coffee, caramels. earthy IMO

T-GOOD DARKLORD! HOT! chocolates, coffee, darker fruits...plum. alcohol and hops balance out the malt in this great beer for sure, still very sweet but not too over powering.

M-Very thick(thats what she said) oily, weighs the jaw down, your palate will be satisfied.

O-amazing brew, FFF promises great beer. WILL be attending DLD!! hope i can get a few vintages as well as a few 11's.shared with a great friend=great memories and healthy palates.

05-05-2011 06:51:09 | More by jonandhisflask
GhettoFabulous

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

I cracked a bomber of the 2009 vintage with some dear friends and made sure it was the first beer of the night in the name of palette cleanliness.

This poured a sludgy back into my tulip glass with a decent amount of lacing. It looks good as hell and it smells inviting, but a little bit ominously. The aroma emits so much different flavors you can tell this is either going to be amazing, or a big hot disharmonious mess.

The first taste reveals, indeed, a brew with a panoply of flavor. There is a wide variety of disparate elements that your tongue struggles to suss out - dark fruit, molasses, figs, your requisite malts, and wow, there are too many flavors to possibly figure out which direction this beer is going. Beers like this can be great when the different elements sing together, but this is not integrated very well at all. The only pervasive and unifying theme is sweetness, and dare I say, soy saucey kind of taste.

It was a struggle to make it through this glass, and I am a huge fan of dark, sludgy adventurous stouts. This was a big disappointment, and even if the wild array of flavors here was integrated well, I can't imagine it would be an above average stout for its class.

05-05-2011 00:59:50 | More by GhettoFabulous
Tripphop

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

2010 Vintage. All this talk about DLD made me open one
Pours a deep black color, with little in the glass you can see a bright red glow to the edges where light shines through, but the full glass is pitch black. A dainty brown head is generous at first but goes away quick with some small bubbles around the edges.
The aromas are nice, caramely and hot, smells like fermented milky ways.
Taste is rich and boozy, very complex with chocolate, caramel, sugar wafer, coffee, leather, and hazelnut. Lots of dark fruit undertones, almost prunish
Taste lingers with a sticky sweet mouthfeel, finishes for 30 seconds +
A delightful beer overall, quite hyped, but worthy of attention. Not as sweet as everyone makes it out to be, very satisfying.

05-04-2011 23:27:58 | More by Tripphop
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

'10 bottle, aged 1 year exactly, drank on DLD '11 right before we went and played some disc golf and watched the Shields/GSP 'fight'. Falls into the 'better out the bottle' category, but prolly because of the year it aged.

Anyways, pours black. Glad I gave that tidbit there. Tan head was well developed. Can't complain about this one bit. Aroma was heavy on the dark fruit, big roast, lesser coffee choco feel to it.

Taste, thick, chewy, plum really jumps out in this one more than any other beer, not the biggest plum/prune fan to say the least, but this beer is thick enough to allow it. The difference in the alcohol after a year is amazing, hides it very well. Tiny aspect of currant and wood along with it. Sweetness fresh, dissipates one year later, again, for the better. Slight cherry, not likely to turn off anti cherry 'everything tastes like robitussin' types.

Gonna do a vertical 07-11 next March of this stuff. Will update as to then, but for now, the '10 is right around a top 100 beer of all time for me.

05-04-2011 20:05:34 | More by Beerandraiderfan
betsona

Idaho

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Had on-tap at DLD 2011. Served in a 8oz squat whisky glass.

A- Pours a motor oil black that causes dreams of trying to drink utter darkness. When I received it, there was no head, but swirling was able to produce a thin wisp of mocha colored head. No lacing on the glass.

S- Lots of raw alcohol right off the top which persisted throughout the entire drink. As it warmed up, a robust coffee aroma mixed with sweet caramel came through more. Probably a tad too sweet.

T- Lots of brown sugar right off the top which combines nicely with plenty of thick chocolaty taste--almost like browny batter. Lastly, there was some taste of alcoholic coffee drink. All the flavors fuse quite well.

M- Thick body with minimum carbonation. Leaves the tongue feeling like it was rubbed against a piece of velvet. Lingering alcohol taste that warms the mouth all the way down.

O- I can easily understand the hype surrounding this stout. I have to admit that I am not a stout fan, but this one easily made be rethink the style. This is an easy drinker despite the abv--does limit the amount I would drink--yet it is one that I would only open with a group of friends.

05-04-2011 17:28:26 | More by betsona
Agold

2.4/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Was really lucky to get a pour of this from esentman 2011 vintage. Poured like a great impy stout. Dark and viscous, but even a vigorous pour did not yield a head. The aroma was pleasant. Caramel sweet coffee and a pleasant roasty fullness. The flavor was a huge mess. Under attenuated and extrememy sickly sweet. Everything that was in the nose, plus some dark fruity flavors, was lost behind a curtain of sweetness. It was not the easiest beer to get down. Full mouthfeel that would be nice if not for the cloying sweetness. Thick and full bodied. I have heard better things about older vintages, but was really unimpressed with this one. Kind of disappointing. I really wanted to like this one.

05-04-2011 05:37:28 | More by Agold
Knapp85

4.28/5  rDev 0%

2009 Bottle: Pours out as a really deep black, a brown head that vanished quickly. The beer coats the glass for a little while after each sip. Smells burnt and alcoholic more like a barley wine, some really dark fruits and molasses. Tastes like burnt caramel, dark chocolate, lots of dark malts. Light oily and kinda thin, not much carbonation really. I was a little disappointed... I have heard that the 2010 Vintage is better, so hopefully that is correct. I have an unopened bottle of that year still waiting to be drank.

05-04-2011 02:45:55 | More by Knapp85
stxSS07

2011 bottle
8oz pour into a Delirium snifter

A- Chugs out of the bottle a pitch black color with a 1/2 finger of mocha color head that recedes to almost nothing. Looks like used motor oil coming out of the bottle

S- First whiff is of alcohol immediately followed by a sweet sugary molasses-like smell. Cherries and dark fruits power through.

T- Immediately get sweet brown sugar on the tip of the tongue followed with plums, cherries, and rasins. Decadent tastes of chocolate cake and chocolate syrup. Pick up some coffee notes in there as well. Finish is strangely good with a hint of pear and apple skins along with a faint tinge of alcohol, but much less than the nose suggested.

M- This is a stout done right. Coats the tongue like a velvety blanket that traps and intensifies all of the flavors.

O- This is not only the best stout I've had, but dare I say the best beer. The sweetness may be too much for some, but I have always wanted to find a big stout that got everything right and this is it for me.

**Edited scores for 2012 and repeated tastings**

2012 was a weaker beer out of the gates and lacked the great coffee notes that were found in fresh 2011. Also caught a bit of the green apple menace in one of my bottles.

Having had this many times over the past year and a half (while also sampling a ton of world-class stouts/brews), I have to knock the score down a touch. Still one of my favorite beers.

05-02-2011 07:40:22 | More by stxSS07
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

I want to give a special shout out to my brother in law for picking up the vintage 2010 version for me last year at DLD. Thanks Jaime!

2010 version:

I split this one with my wife tonight. I'm sure she's sick of me talking about it all the time... so the least I could do is split it with her.

A: About as black as outer space without any stars. After a hard pour, I summoned up a two finger or so mocha head that stayed afloat throughout the session. Beautifully dark!!!

S: Maraschino cherry juice, licorice, molasses, teryaki sauce, and quite a bit of the FFF taste profile shining through. I could smell "Alpha King" lurking inside the sludge!

T: Candy-coated booze (in the way that FFF does it!), sweet candy sugar, molasses and then some, cocoa, and tons of dark fruit... actually not that dark. I got tons of cherry in there also.

M: Thick as oil... and I truly mean that! The carbonation level was VERY low, but this was totally appropriate. Very sweet, but it was in a candy-coated sort of way. Sure it was syrupy and coated my mouth and then some... but God bless it for that!

O: FFF makes so many truly incredible beers that it's hard for me to call this their crowning achievement... but it is.... at least one of them. Believe the hype, because Dark Lord is the real deal!

05-01-2011 22:33:36 | More by Chaney
THECPJ

Delaware

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Reviewed from notes: 2010 version

appearance: dark black with very minimal mocha head

smell: chocolate, coffee, mocha, alcohol

taste: sweet, chocolate, coffee, mocha, alcohol

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body,

overall: this one lives up to the hype, delicious all around!

05-01-2011 20:05:43 | More by THECPJ
goethean

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

2008 vintage, served on Dark Lord Day 2011. Mostly flat. Big, full-bodied. Molasses. Very sweet. Malty, sweet. A bit of coffee. Dark chocolate. Dried plums, dates, figs, raisins. Aftertastes of dry herbs, licorice.

I have had a lot of Bell's Batch 9000 in the past year (about one per week), which has been a steady supply of dark, fruity malt bomb. In that context, and given the hype around Dark Lord, the price, and the difficulty of obtaining, Dark Lord is just not nearly as impressive as it used to be.

05-01-2011 17:06:28 | More by goethean
achek74

2011 (yellow wax)
Served "cool" in a frosty Schlitz goblet.
Tasty and complex, with dark fruit notes and good bitterness. One can taste molasses and coffee. Good, thick/oily mouthfeel, and nice color (opaque in the goblet, dark but slightly translucent in a 3oz taster)
A bit sweeter than I normally like, and not very carbonated, even for the style (...but this bottle is FRESH). Would be a good serve as a digestif.

04-30-2011 20:05:38 | More by achek74
CuriousMonk

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark Lord 2010 vintage (green wax). Poured from 650ml bottle into a tulip glass and a chalice glass. Tasted the brew once cold and then gradually at room temperature for optimal tasting experience. The Dark Lord lives up to it’s name on the pour. The heavy bodied stout pours opaque black slowly out of the bottle and fills the glass with complete darkness that allows absolutely no light to come through. The glass is topped with a thin dark creamy head that dissipates quickly and with extremely light lacing that holds it's own throughout the session. Vinous aroma packed with sweet burnt molasses, currants, plums, dark cherries, vanilla, sugar-infused oak, toffee, sweet toasty malts, and maybe a hint of port wine alcohol undertow. Mochachino notes buried within. Motor oil consistency, hellishly smooth yet divinely burnt with amazing flavors and aroma throughout. Alcohol burn wiggles its way down your throat with a thick body. I cannot make comment on the carbonation as the brew is extremely dark. Man, this is a DANGEROUSLY good Russian Imperial Stout with the high ABV of 15% so well hidden. This is definitely one of the best 3F beers I've had next to the Dreadnaught! I can see why this is highly sought-after. This is also one of my favorite Russian Imperial Stouts which sits just a notch above the Abyss, another personal favorite of the style. Two thumbs up and Happy Dark Lord Day! Cheers.

04-30-2011 02:39:58 | More by CuriousMonk
tewaris

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

2010 vintage into a snifter. Thanks lurchingbeast for hooking me up with this one.

Dark Lord poured like silk in a thick, very dark brown stream, and looked opaque in the snifter. The head was very dark too, but it quickly gave away to a tiny collar. Legs were seen upon swirling the glass. The usual suspects were present in the aroma: chocolate-cream, vanilla, and sweet malts.

Felt thinner than I expected, perhaps because we were tasting at room temperature, but tasted very good and complex nonetheless; simply put, quite yummy! Sweet and rich in a milky way as opposed to Darkness that I find "raisin" sweet, but equally delicious. Finished clean in spite of the sweetness, and warmed me up as it went down. The alcohol is present and it is felt, no doubt, but the beer is not the sweet-boozy mess some describe it to be. In fact I found it quite a treat, and I *think* it could have been bigger on body for better.

Overall an excellent beer but nothing to die for, or travel for that matter, unless the event itself is what you're looking forward to. However, it is certain that Darkness and Dark Lord belong to an entirely different category within RIS's, if you want to call them RIS's, and are therefore worth seeking out.

Scores: Appearance 4/5; Aroma 3.5/5; Taste 4/5; Mouthfeel 4.5/5; Drinkability 4.5/5

04-29-2011 10:20:19 | More by tewaris
AdamGarcia

2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

2009 vintage. Served in Unibroue tulip.

A: Pours just about as black as any beer I've seen. Thin coffee colored head forms from an aggressive pour and dissipates quickly. Noticeably viscous...definitely has some legs.

S: Dark chocolate syrup. Sweet caramel. Black strap molasses. Bitter cocoa and black coffee. Dark, overripe fruit. Very sweet aroma, almost cloyingly so. Enticing, nonetheless.

T: Very sticky and very sweet. Dark fruit is pervasive. Plum, raisin, black cherry, and maybe some grape juice. I'm dumbfounded by the lack of typical dark, roasted flavors associated with an Imperial Stout. Oh, by the way...where the hell is the coffee? Hershey's syrup aftertaste. The heavy sweetness makes this one feel as if it is unfinished. On a positive note, it doesn't feel even remotely hot. High abv is very well hidden in the taste.

M: Thick and viscous. I do enjoy the feel of this one. Coating.

O: Why do people go crazy over this? Dark Lord seems to be one of the most over-hyped beers to date. Not to mention that this is from the much-maligned 2009 vintage, so I didn't have terribly high expectations. I did, however, expect better than this. I would take a cheap and easy to find Old Rasputin 100% of the time over Dark Lord. I'm just happy that I didn't have to spend huge amounts of time, effort, and money in order to obtain this beer.

04-27-2011 03:32:07 | More by AdamGarcia
seeswo

3.55/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Green wax (2010) bottle shared by Jeremy (thanks man!), poured into my Bruery tulip.

Pours a very dark, heavy blackish color with very small tannish head that is gone almost immediately. Looks a bit thinner than I was under the impression this beer was. To be fair, I was under the impression this was Kuhnhenn Solar Eclipse thick, so it would have been almost impossible for me to be correct as I believe you could float a marble on the top of that brew ;) I digress. The smell is roasted malts, caramel, coffee, a touch of booziness and smokiness. The taste is not as sweet as I thought it was going to be - actually the sweetness, which included dark fruit-like flavors and roast, was tempered by the smokiness present in the beer. To me, this smoky flavor dominated the flavor profile and was just a bit out of balance. [EDIT: After reading some other reviews, the smokiness, which was acknowledged by the other people I was splitting this with, may have been more like charred malts or something in that vein.] There was little to no booziness. Certainly a lot going on in this bottle - I can see why people like it. I am pretty particular about my imperial stouts, and for me, this one fine, but I don't get the hype. For people who hold additional value to complexity, I think this beer would get an uptick. The mouthfeel was right on and, again, not as syrupy as expected in a pleasing way. Dare I say I had no trouble getting this down easy and was surprised it was 15%. They certainly have done a fantastic job keeping that down.

[EDIT: I just had the opportunity to share in a Dark Lord 07-11 vertical and it has changed my opinion on the beer. 09 and 10 were drinking terribly and were not finished. 11 tasted like it had green peppers in it and maybe a little chili. 07 and 08 were alright. In general, a group of 6 people were quite unhappy with the beers collectively. The above review was 4/4/4/4.5/4.5 and I am downgrading it severely.]

04-17-2011 13:06:37 | More by seeswo
ferrari29

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2008 - Black Wax
Beer poured from bottle into Snifter glass

A - Beer pours with a dark brown, almost blackish color; few carbonation formed; not much lacing but actually had legs form on the side of the glass

S - Raisin and prune; plum fruitiness; roasted and smoky flavors; coffee

T - Raisins and prunes are the first flavors to wash up on the palate; sweet with a slight hint of molasses; mix of a port and plums taste

M - Slightly effervescent and syrupy in texture; well-aged beer made my palate experience a smooth combination of stout and dark fruits flavors; aging caused the smoky and roasted flavors to take a backseat to the dark fruit flavors; great beer to age

D - Great aged beer; nice and sweet; aging process turned this imperial stout into a solid after dinner drink

2009 - White Wax
Beer poured from bottle into Snifter glass

A -Beer pours with a dark brown, almost black body; light beige head; less than 1/2 finger foam formed and dissipated very quickly; body has a deep syrupy look, almost heavy and formed a moderate amount of lacing; body of the beer sticks well to the sides

S - Fig & raisin scents come up immediately; heavier ABV scents come up as well; Coffee notes; black Muscat grape smell; a little doughy and oatmeal

T - Grape and raisin taste; subtle coffee flavors; black muscat dessert wine taste; sweet with a touch of oatmeal flavors

M - Full body feel; creamy; filling; the beer feels like it almost expands in size and has a effervescent feel on the tongue

D - I love this beer, its fantastic; it was well worth the wait and 2009 is definitely their best year yet; aging process did some wonderful things to this beer; like they say 'everything's better with time'; phenomenal; I would highly recommend to other stout lovers; would go great with a some desserts

2010 - Green Wax
Beer poured from bottle into Snifter glass

A -Beer pours with a dark brown, almost black body; light beige head; less than 1/2 finger foam formed and dissipated quickly; body has a thin syrupy look, looks heavy and formed a good amount of lacing; body of the beer sticks well to the sides

S - Fig & raisin scents come up immediately; lighter ABV scents come up, not as much as the 2009; coffee notes; burned currants and cherries, probably where the black Muscat grape smell comes from; slight smokiness, almost like roasted chestnuts; hints of caramel

T - Fig and raisin taste; bourbon flavors; sweeter than the 2009; subtle coffee flavors; black muscat dessert wine taste, probably from burned currants and cherries; sweet with a touch of other dark fruits flavors; roasted chestnuts; leaves a very deep fig aftertaste

M - Full body feel; creamy; filling; the beer feels like it almost expands in size as you sip and has a effervescent feel on the tongue; little chewy; not as filling as the 2009, which I feel was the best of the batch so far;

D - I love this beer, its fantastic; it was well worth the wait; even though the 2009 bottle is still their best year yet; aging process did some wonderful things to this beer; phenomenal; I would highly recommend to other stout lovers; would go great with a some desserts; whatever FFF is doing, keep it coming

2011 - Yellow Wax
Beer poured from bottle into Snifter glass

A -Beer pours with a dark brown, almost black body; light beige head; less than 1/2 finger foam formed and dissipated quickly; body has a thin syrupy look, looks heavy and formed rings around the glass; good amount of lacing; body of the beer sticks well to the sides

S - Fig & raisin scents come up immediately; lighter ABV scents of bourbon come up, not as much as the '08 or '09; coffee notes; burned currants and cherries; smokiness, almost like roasted chestnuts; hints of caramel; anise; celery

T - Fig and raisin taste; bourbon flavors; sweeter than the 2010; coffee-espresso flavors; black muscat dessert wine taste, probably from burned currants and cherries; sweet with a touch of other dark fruits flavors; roasted chestnuts; leaves a very deep fig aftertaste; has more of a smoky taste than previous years; molasses

M - Full body feel; meaty; creamy; filling; molasses; the beer does not feel like it expands in size as you sip like the earlier versions; needs to be aged for at least a year to do that; little chewy; not as filling as the 2009, which I feel was the best of the batch so far;

D - I love this beer, its fantastic; it was well worth the wait; phenomenal; I would highly recommend to other stout lovers; would go great with a some desserts; whatever FFF is doing, keep it coming

04-11-2011 17:00:28 | More by ferrari29
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from the 220z. bottle (White Wax) into a Dogfish Head snifter

The color is black, and there is nothing else to say. No highlight in this beer, a thin brownish head that is gone before your now it and leaves no lacing.

The smell is sweet with dark malts and promises a deep, dark taste of thick, deep, roasty malt flavor. The nose takes some getting used to as it is deep with complexity and a many deep fruity flavor that is just opening up.

The taste is lip smacking bourbon flavor that coats the lips with an almost chewy flavor. Some strong malt flavor hits hard right at the tongue and has some heavy cherry and raspberry flavor before turning that into dark malts and dark fruits. Figs and dates are there in the end of each taste. A thick syrup like strawberry flavor runs through this dividing sip and seems to cut the experience in half.

This going down is big and really complex. There are things going on with the flavor long after the beer has gown down. I am thinking about what I just had as some lingering sweetness hangs around and seems to have a life of it's own.

04-11-2011 06:22:15 | More by Duhast500
jethrodium

3.03/5  rDev -29.2%

2010 bomber (green wax) courtesy of woosterbill. Thanks Bill. Pours a dark black with a reddish tint at the edges when held up to the light. A small light chocolate head leaves a ring at the edge of the glass after it dissipates quite quickly. Not very mach lacing at all left on the glass. The aroma has a very strong roastiness to it. Also huge molasses and some licorice as well and a little bit of coffee. There is also a quite strange metallic copperlike aroma that comes through pretty strong as well. Light alcohol noticeable on the nose as well. The initial taste is really sweet with the copper note coming through as well as the molasses and licorice. This transitions into some coffee. The finish is strong roastiness as well as a bit of booze with a pretty decent bitterness. Full bodied. Low carbonation. Syrupy. I don't really see this beer is that highly regarded. I found it to be way too sweet and syrupy. The strange copper note was not enjoyable either. It does do a good job of hiding the 15% alcohol, but overall I just did not find this beer that enjoyable. I split the bottle with one other person and we had trouble finishing it.

04-08-2011 22:50:40 | More by jethrodium