Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2007 vintage

Served into a snifter on 12/10/2011

Simply put, incredible.

A- Pours out of the bottle as a thick, black liquid that is honestly reminiscent of motor oil, as cliche as it does sound. The faint beginnings of a head disappear immediately. This is truly pitch black, when held up to light nothing gets through, not even on the sides. Huge legs throughout drinking which stain the glass brown. After drinking this my snifter was caked in streaks of brown. Never have seen anything like it before besides classic Dark Lord.

S- The trademark Dark Lord aroma of chocolate covered dark fruit mixed with coffee tones and hints of sweet malt. Very intense given the age on this bottle, yet blending together much more harmoniously than newer vintages.

T- Wow has time been great to this. A perfect blend of chocolate covered cherries and plums contrasted against coffee and roasted malts. Molasses, raisins, and hints of licorice all play in the background. Everything has blended together perfectly to create a layered, intense experience.

The bottle had a solid 2-2.5" of sludge on the bottom. We poured the bottom half into a large glass, swirled it around to distribute the sludge evenly and then served it into our snifters as a second pour. With the sludge incorporated it still retains it's great flavor profile but at the end of the sip there is some intense bitterness kicking in, along the lines of hops or really dark chocolate.

M- If you think '10-'11 Dark Lords are thick, try a pre-2009, it will blow your mind. Started off with the consistency of a heavy cough syrup, a thick body with low carb that coated the inside of your mouth completely. Minutes after taking a sip you could still taste coffee/chocolate on your tongue. Once we added the sludge in, the consistency turned into that very close to a milkshake. Gritty, beyond thick, chunky, simply awesome.

O- I have now had 2007-2011 Dark Lords. While I loved all of them ,this was in a world of its own. Much more thicker and darker than new vintages. Age has blended the flavors together perfectly, creating an intense monster. This vintage is no where past its prime in my mind, and I wish I had more to drink. Drinking this was an experience I will not soon forget...easily one of the best beers I have ever had. I think I enjoyed this one even more than Vanilla Bean aged Dark Lord.

First review, favorite beer. Doing a bit different a review since I'm not the best at tossing over used, under accurate tasting adjectives at every category of the beer. My brain just doesn't work this way.

Did a vertical tasting.

2008 - The best of the bunch, this version had the best balance of mouthfeel and flavor. Thick, but in that good way. I remember this version fresh being soy saucy. That is gone and perfect balance for an RIS is left.

2009 - This was great but not as perfect as the 08. Slightly thinner in both flavor and feel. This version was better fresh. It came out perfect, with the coffee part nailed to perfection. I wish I drank all my 09's in 09. That was the perfect beer for me then and what I still think of as the best Dark Lord I've had to date.

2010 - This is drinking close to the 08 with the exception of roastyness. It's aslo thinner but the sweet is just right in this one. I remember this being a little hot fresh. That's all gone now. Age has done it well, but it doesn't seem to need more.

2011 - This is a new version of Dark Lord. The coffee is more forward than years past and different. It's more iced coffee than espresso. The beer is also much thinner than before. Fun fresher for the new coffee, but I kind of want this beer to age back into more of the thicker, sweeter, more balanced Dark Lord I know and love. still amazing.

Hope this is an okay review for my first stab at one.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

2011 Poured into snifter

A: Pitch black, 1 finger mocha head. Pours just like oil. Decent carbonation. Just What an Imperial stout should be.

S:Very, Very sweet chocolate right away almost like chocolate covered cherries. Great roasted coffee, alcohol tingles nostrils a lil. A small hint of fig.

T:Chocolate, vanilla and cherry hit first thing. Coffee notes are absolutely perfect. The alcohol is not nearly as present as I thought it would be at 15 abv.

O:Perfect!!!! Just what I look for in an Imperial Stout. Chocolatey, coffee, goodness!

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.