Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Tonight begins a long road of entering many awesome beers I took notes on but didn't take the time to put on here. Let's start out with the Darkest of Lords

2010 vintage

a - Pours a brown color with one finger of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Dark Fruit, chocolate, malt, booze, some soy sauce?,

t - Tastes of chocolate, dark fruits, malt, alcohol, and just all around tasty.

m - This is how thick an RIS is supposed to be. Not as chewy as the 2008 vintage (wow is all I can say to that) but it's still just right where it needs to be.

d - Definately one of the best beers I've ever had the opportunity to drink. Can't say it's the best beer in the world but it's definately in the top 25.

beerman207, Nov 14, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Anno 2010.

Appearance -- Pours an impenetrable dark with one finger of dark khaki head.

Smell -- Dark roast malt, coffee with cream, raisin and prune, cherry, woodsmoke, and a red wine.

Taste -- Up front is tons of dark roast maltiness along with coffee and cream, prune, and rum-soaked raisins. There's a lot of vinous and cherry fruit flavor as well, lending a sort of sweet/tart element to the beer that adds depth and lends to balance the malt sweetness. Also, a distinct woodsmoke flavor that adds some earthiness - smoked malt in the grist? Spicy/herbal hops in the back-end. Finish is dark roast and coffee with cream.

Mouthfeel -- Incredibly thick with moderate carbonation. Faint alcohol burn as well as some throat warming. Best mouthfeel in the game.

Drinkability -- Certainly exceptional. Top tier? Yes, absolutely. Best of class? Probably not, but still quite pleasing. Unique in its class that it does have a lot of the vinous/dark fruit character as would a traditional English RIS. Absolutely worth seeking out.

yeahnatenelson, Nov 08, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

I have tried both the 2009 vintage, with about 6months on it, and a 2010, similar notes for both. But the review is for 2009.

A dark, oily, but not super thick, slight tan head

S syrup, molasses, coffee and maybe a hint of vanilla, not bad but very malty, all most overpoweringly sweet smell

T way too much sugar in this, its as if someone filled my IS with maple syrup, some soy sauce qualities in it. Just ends up being too much sugar and soy sauce, a stomach ache waiting to happen

M/D decent carbonation and coats the mouth nicely with the myriad of flavors, but it is simply too much.

overall I am very disappointed in this beer, for me it is a sweet syrupy mess, covered up somewhat by soy sauce. There are a ton of better IS out there. Perhaps, as some have suggested, I really just need to try one that has a bit more age on it.

digita7693, Nov 08, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Birthday beer!!!

2008 vintage. Thanks to brothernova for getting this to me as part of a trade! Poured from a 22oz bottle to a snifter.

A: I've had some rich, thick beers before, but this one actually looks like heavy duty oil! Very thick and viscous. Minimal dark coffee colored head. Leaves more of a lacing than I expected for it not having much of a head.

S: Soy sauce, vanilla, cinnamon, plums. Some other sweet spice I can't quite place. Sounds like it would be awful, but it's actually quite alluring.

T: More going on here than I can keep track of. Everything from the nose plus a very heavy dark chocolate flavor. Cherries too, almost like a ruby port flavor. Dark chocolate covered cherries. Mmmmm. Vanilla is there, but not so much soy sauce. Alcohol is present, but not as much as one might expect. Molasses and caramel become more noticable as my glass empties. This is just delicious. With the lack of roasty, smoky flavors, this isn't quite what I expect from an impy stout (maybe more like an old ale?) but is absolutely delicious.

M: Very thick and surprisingly smooth. I can only think of one beer I've had that has as smooth of a mouthfeel. Velvety. The richness is out of this world. It's like a mouthful of melted milk chocolate. Carbonation is very light, but definitely present, despite the lack of head.

D: I was certainly looking forward to this one, but also have a persistent skepticism of hyped beers. This one lives up to the hype. Just an awesome beer. Hides the alcohol surprisingly well, too.

eatabagofbooger, Nov 08, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Huge thanks to airohead2001 for busting this out for my 100th review. I had this on tap at this year's DLD, but have not had it since. 2010 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: This beer pours black in color and has a one finger mocha colored head. The beer appears thick, and I actually just saw a bubble of the head pup and create a splash. The head has moderate retention and nice lacing.

S: Right out of the bottle, I was blown away by the intensity of the smell. There's figs, molasses, caramel and some alcohol burn. The molasses is the dominant note on the nose. While, it's an intense smell, the smell is not quite as balanced as the taste.

T: The first thing I noticed when I tasted this beer was, "wow, it's definitely not as sweet as it was at Dark Lord Day" and I'm glad it's not. It's still a little sweet up front, as an RIS should be, but is much more balanced. The alcohol is barely noticeable especially considering the ABV and the smell. The main flavors are sweet raisins, bourbon (even though I know it's not barrel aged), tannins, and dark chocolate. Simply divine.

M: All other beers in the RIS category should have their mouthfeel and viscosity judged based on this beer. It is oh so wonderfully thick. The beer also has a great aftertaste and a perfectly low level of carbonation.

D: I would have this beer again and again. It reminds me of a fine wine that has layer after layer of complexity. It's too bad that it only comes out once a year, but luckily I have a few bottles left for future special occasions.

glazeman, Nov 06, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

In honor of glazeman.

S:
Dark Lord Imperial Stout is a 6 month old RIS with a past history significant for notorious long lines, high ABV, awesome label art, tricky online ticket sales, and being the original hyped up brewery-only released stout. He presents to my Westvleteren snifter this evening in honor of glazeman's 100th review.

O:
smell: dark roasts, figs, chocolate, vanilla, sweet candy
appearance: small head that quickly fades to nothing, thick thick thick oil that coats the walls of the snifter - EXACTLY what an RIS should look like. perfect.
taste: sweet dark chocolate, vanilla, bitter roasts, and a tiny bit of piney hops in the finish. rich, thick, intense, and incredible. just what a true RIS should be.
mouthfeel: thickness and carbonation are both spot on.
drinkability: for 15% ABV, this is extremely drinkable. don't be fooled by the nay-sayers - i could drink a bomber of this myself - no doubt about it.

A/P:
6 month old RIS presenting this evening for glazeman's 100th review. DL is probably the most heavily disputed beer on this site. Many love it, many hate it, many complain about the lines, tickets, etc. Many simply just don't like to admit that such an amazing beer can come from northwest Indiana. Well get over it, people, DL is as good as it gets - one of the best beers I've ever had.

- continue to attend Dark Lord Day every year
- continue to support my midwest breweries
- continue splitting this bomber with glazeman for his 100th review

This plan has been discussed with my attending.

airohead2001, MS3
Pager# 12345

airohead2001, Nov 06, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

2010 vintage courtesy of BeerTruth. Figured I'd crack this baby for my birthday. We'll see if I regret it tomorrow :)

Pours nearly pitch black, very thick, with a slowly building but eventually dense two inches of dark tan head. It doesn't keep a very thick lace or leave much stick, but every sip regenerates the lace and coats the glass for a few seconds as it falls back down, and that's pretty impressive.

Smell is rich and robust, with lots of sweetness going on. It's chocolaty with caramel and molasses notes as well. I also get a good amount of dark fruit, like ripe, sweet blackberries in particular. Has a hint of coffee as well and although it's not a big component of the nose there is also a very darkly roasted malt aroma. I'd even say that the roastiness, although not the largest part of this nose, has a slight burned quality to it.

Taste is also very bold with a ton of sweet complexity. There is chocolate, caramel and molasses, each in great quantity, with the caramel being quite dark and the chocolate also tending toward the bittersweet. Like the nose I again get a good amount of dark fruit, with more roasted malt character than the nose. Doesn't have the slightly burned quality it did in the nose, although it does get bitter. The sweetness is what really shines in this beer, though, with the roasted malt bringing up the rear and leaving some bitterness on the palate in the finish. There is some alcohol heat toward the back of each sip, but I'm neither surprised nor bothered by this. I'm not gulping it down after all, I'm sipping it, and this helps me to remember and respect the strength of the beer.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and extremely creamy. It really coats the mouth but the alcohol and the bitter roastiness in the finish do detract a touch from the feel. Still pretty solid here though.

I've had Dark Lord before, although I can't recall what vintage and it wasn't a full bottle to myself. I think it's easier to see some of the flaws (if you want to call them that) when you have an entire bottle to yourself. This is a fantastic beer, but it's extremely sweet and the roastiness, while it does cut the sweetness, does so in a bitter, slightly astringent way. These things keep it from being truly epic, but do not take away from what is an excellent beer. When a beer reaches this level, however, there is nothing to do but nitpick. I'd be happy with another couple dozen bottles in my cellar, that's for sure.

number1bum, Oct 26, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -7%

2009 edition

Pours jet black and with no head or sense of carbonation whatsoever, which is dissapointing. Just kind of sits there looking more or less dead in the glass with only the slightest of lacing.

Smell, however, is a whole different story. I could literally smell the beer from a few feet away. A whole lot of alcohol in the nose upfront, but this is undercut by an intense coffee/chocolate smell and what I would call, for lack of a better description, charred dark fruit. As complex and interesting smelling a beer as I've ever had. The nose just seems to promise great things to come.

The taste kind of fulfills this promise. Alcohol is there but not as intense as in the smell. Lots and lots of chocolate notes and that charred fruit becomes more and more evident the longer you drink it. A lot going on here but I'm not sure it all mends together as well as in some other world class RIS's, due to the at times overwhelming sweetness that comes in the longer you drink it.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are where this beer really stands out, though not entirely for the better. The mouthfeel is not like any beer i've had before. It almost is like beer syrup after getting through about half the pour. I'm not totally sure if thats a good or bad thing to be honest, but it is at least unique, so I'll give it that. It is not, however, particularly drinkable. As much as I enjoyed certain aspects of the beer, it is so sweet and so thick that I would have had a hard time drinking more than the 12 oz pour I had. This is a sipping beer if i've ever had one.

In total this is very interesting beer and one that any beer lover should probably try at least once. I'm already looking forward to trying my 10 edition in a year to see how that compares.

mechamifune, Oct 25, 2010
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Dark Lord is one those beers that you don´t expect to possess because where I live, it takes an arma and a leg to get one. I got this bottle in a trade last year and brought it down to Brazil to share with a lucky few. From a 2009 vintage, on to the beer:

Menacing black color with a little tanned head that drops to a lace. The nose is intense and full of licorice, honey, and molasses. More interesting is the flavor, where it acts like a rauchbier at times. It starts sweet with honey, then chocolate arrives, then it goes smokey like bacon. Much of the alcohol is hidden neat in its viscous body.

This is tasty and very complex. However, I´m not sure if it´s a beer that I´d stand in line for or trade my other arm to relive the experience.

DoubleJ, Oct 13, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Green wax - 2010

A: Black pour with 1/4" head. Dissipates quickly.

S: Choco, coffee and molasses and alcohol.

T: Molasses is very prominent. Some coffee and chocolate. Very hot. A bit too much.

M: Disappointed with how thin this feels; it's viscosity appears in almost all write-ups.

D: OK.

This is my first bottle of DL. I love this style. As a local, I guess I'm spoiled by Kate.

telecomz, Oct 11, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into snifter...

A: Pours an incredibly thick black into the glass with hues of ruby around the edges. Small head of tan foam, falls slowly to a thin ring around the glass.

S: Huge complex aroma, coffee, roasted malt, dried fruit, booze, molasses, caramel, incredibly huge aroma here!

T: Like the nose, massive and incredibly deep, all of the flavors mentioned above and yet so balanced and layered. This is truly world class, one of the greats!

M: Smooth and creamy heavy body, slightly boozy, but in a good way.

D: For 15% it is crazy drinkable, and so delicious that you want to keep drinking it. Definitely one of the best examples I have ever tried!

RedBrewer83, Oct 09, 2010

I don't need to go into detail about this beer... it truly does live up to it's hype... I was at a beer tasting today and got a bottle of the 2010 Dark Lord and opened it up and drank a bit and my god... I really haven't tasted anything this amazing. I don't know if this is my favorite beer style or if it's just Three Floyds for being extreme geniuses with beer and flavor. This beer might not be the best thing you've ever had but damn... it truly is the best thing I've tasted to date and I was overly amped to try this and it didn't disappoint and totally lived up to my expectations.

GET THIS BEER AND AT LEAST TRY IT!

revolt914, Oct 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

I acquired this 2009 vintage (white wax) in a trade with enelson. The bottle was poured into 2 snifters, deep dark, tar like pour with a thin tan head. The aroma has lots of molases, and hints of coffee and alcohol. Molasses and light coffee are prominent throughout the taste. I was suprised the alcohol was still hot on this. The beer is heavy and sticky, and very lightly carbonated. A damn fine RIS, hopefully I will be able to try another.

bonkers, Oct 05, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

i split this bottle with 2 other friends, and wish i had at least a whole 22oz in my glass. i loved it. if this 2010(only year i've had) isn't as good as the 06/08, then they must have been fantastic.

Very dark inky pour, as you'd expect. It wasn't as viscous looking on the pour as what i would expect from hearing all the talk about it being the thickest beer ever, but it's just one of those hype expectations, it was overall among the thick side, i guess i was just expecting chunks to pour out like curdled milk, which didn't happen. Back on topic, it looks great.
There is a faint aroma of alcohol heat, which excites me, and some fruits and roasty qualities.
Taste is awesome, roasted coffee and faint nuts, dark chocolate covered cherries. great bit of heat in each sip that brings it all together for me.

I need to get more of this, and actually take off work next DLD. its really good.

ChadQuest, Oct 04, 2010

Quite a tasty beer. Normally Imperial stouts are not my thing, but this was amazing. I shared this a while back with my brother in law and an Abyss. The richness and flavor are so abundant, that I could definately have again. Too bad it is hard to get.

calir1, Oct 04, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

08 vintage (black cap) poured into tulip.

A: Jet black pour with no head whatsoever. Looks very thick!

S: Coffee and dark and milk chocolate. Below this is dark fruit, molasses and soy sauce.

T: Molasses is much more prominent in the taste followed by coffee and chocolate. It's also pretty hot, more than I expected for an '08.

M: The gold standard for 'thickness'. Liquid tar.

D: The 'heat' and the abv limit this beer's drinkability.

This is my second bottle of DL, the first being an '09, and I like this one much better. A very nice beer, a little hotter than I expected but still nice.

Update---just had the '10 version and it is AMAZING!! Lots of coffee, chocolate, molasses and some soy sauce both in the nose and taste. The trademark DL thickness is there and no heat whatsoever. Also smooth as silk!!! This truly is a fantastic drinking experience!!

Adamdc, Oct 04, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to DavoleBomb for including this 2009 vintage...

Pours a deep, dark brown, near black. The creamy brown head comes only with a very aggressive pour. Scent is relatively mild for such a big beer, hints of dark fruit, smoke, char, soy sauce, chocolate and coffee present, but not strong enough for a beer this big. First sip taken a bit below cellar temp, very mild with all the qualities of scent. As it warms, notes of chocolate, char, port wine and soy sauce become much more aggressive. By the time its at room temp, the soy sauce overpowers. No hints of powerful ABV in scent or taste. While the beer doesnt cling to the glass, the mouthfeel is something i may have never experienced before, almost like a pureed oatmeal with silky smooth yet somewhat grainy qualities. Overall this beer is very unique, but my notes above should pinpoint why i cant give this a completly glowing review.

I have sampled every year since '06 but this is the only bottle where ive had more than 4oz. My rankings are '07, '06, '08, '09.

rfgetz, Oct 03, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

I got this one from my Brother who worked secretly with my at the time six month old daughter for a fathers day gift. This is review number 100. May as well make it this. 2010 Vintage. Easiest wax I have ever removed by the way.

Poured into a tulip and McWhirk's house who is slightly annoyed that I'm typing up the review. Anyhow, this beer looks thick. It pours like motor oil, thick, black and slow into my tulip to form a thin mocha colored head, that thins our to sticky soapy lacing. The smell is dark malts, dark fruits; namely dark cherries and a bitter espresso and sweet bakers chocolate. The smell and the taste are much in the same. It starts with roasty malts and sweet cocoa flavor. Finishing nicely with a slight flavor is dark fruits and a slightly bitter coffee flavor and a touch of oak. This is very nicely complex. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. It kicks nicely at the end with subtle carbonation that livens up the flavors. I would never guess this is fifteen percent by the smell and taste. The alcohol is hidden nicely, for all the factors of the mighty Dark Lord, this is very drinkable.

Bendurgin, Oct 02, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Received in trade from rhoadsrage. Thanks, Andy!

2010 Vintage

Poured into tulip with gwuilliums and Tom Taylor.

A: Dark and oily pour. Good head formation and retention.

S: Dark chocolate with lots of sharp dark roast smell. Very much an imperial stout!

T: This beer is a sharp, molasses tasting stout, like Expedition Stout. This has a much bigger taste, though. More dark chocolate and black malt to balance the molasses.

M: Superb! The thickness of the beer and carbonation and the ABV all work together in a very balanced way.

D: The 15% hits pretty darn hard, and I would expect that many people would not like the molasses sharpness.

Spica66, Sep 29, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

2008 vintage. Poured into a Darkness snifter.

A: Pours black as night with a thick brown head that settles quickly to a thin film on the surface. Lacing is sticky, but slides down the glass walls with ease.

S: Aromas consist of coffee, chocolate, molasses, and dark fruits. Hops aren't present on the nose, being masked with these malt characters and distinct booziness.

T: One of the most flavorful beers of this style I have tried to this day. Dried dark fruit, molasses, coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts coat the palate, along with a fair amount of warming alcohol. Hops lend a dry finish to the beer, but the flavors overwhelm the finish with a second wave.

Full bodied and chewy. You don't sip this beast, you eat it. If there was ever a meal in a bottle, this is it. Drinkability is excellent, but the alcohol makes it a true sipper. Overall, this is a world class beer.

WYVYRN527, Sep 29, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to Blake for his generosity in sharing the 2010. One would be hard-pressed to find a beer more anticipated and sought out (and, some would say, overhyped) than Dark Lord, so that it is hard not to approach this without quite some sense of anticipation. Putting all that aside, this is a wonderfully well-crafted beer. Even relatively young, this Russian imperial stout already drinks with the smooth character of a nicely aged beer. Redolent with big roasted malt flavors and a complex profile. Is it worth the adoration heaped upon it? One can only say that this a both a very well-marketed and well made beer.

Brent, Sep 27, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

2010 vintage. Whole bottle poured into a canning jar.

Appearance:
Dark, as expected from an Imperial Stout. Syrupy but not thick. Actually, thin for the style. Nice lacing around top of glass. Dark head maybe 1/4 inch thick.

Aroma:
Sweet malt smell, heavy on the soy with some vanilla.

Taste:
Beer is very complex. A lot of layering. One of the more obvious layer combinations I've tried. Opens up with dark tart cherries and heavy roasted malts. Grape emerges as you experience a port wine flavor profile with some plum and blackberry flavors. This is followed by a bitter chocolate/coffee flavor as the port flavor lingers. You can really pull the layers apart in this one.

Mouthfeel:
Went down smooth and creamy. Very strong alcohol burn at the end. Did not care for the alcohol at all. If it had finished smooth, this would have been a much improved beer.

Drinkability:

I found the 2010 average for an Imperial Stout. It's got some great flavor profiles and the layering is beautifully done. The soy smell bothered me personally. Not a smell I particularly care for from a beer and the alcohol burn was just way too much for me. I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't stand in line to buy bottles.

Jacobpaul81, Sep 26, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

2009 much-debated vintage opened tonight. Thanks to Alen (RIP) for the beer. When I started BA, I thought that this beer was the end-all be-all of beers to try. Boy did I have a lot to learn.

A- Black as night, dark dark dark with chocolate 1 finger head. Looks good
S- One of the weaker points as far as this vintage is concerned. I get a strong soy/smoky aroma on first whiff (not good). Hints of chocolate and and roasted notes. Kinda smells like prime rib for a split second.
T- On first sip I got an initial soyness from the beer, but it lessened as I drank onward. I get dark roasted malts and chocolate with hints of coffee and a milky sweetness mixed with toffee.
M- Thick and dare I say "chewy" sticky and coats the mouth. Slightly cloying and sticky sweet in a not-so good way.
D- Average, there is a lot to tackle in a single bottle. The sweetness and soy flavors make it quite a chore to finish off a single bottle. I kinda enjoyed it however. Glad I tried one, don't think I'll trade for another anytime soon.

Rbald42, Sep 26, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Draft at Great Taste of the Midwest. 2008 vintage. Pours a nice black/brown color with a tiny bit of sediment in the glass. The head is tan that nicely laces around the glass. Just a stellar nose on this one with hints of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, dark roast, with a touch of some alocohol notes. Nice heavy/medium mouthfeel. The flavors at this point are nicely balanced and compliment each other very well. Chocolate, dark roast, woody, dark fruit, some vanilla, it's all there and is pretty nice tasting. I could see where people would say its a little sweet or too heavy but overall I think this is a pretty good beer and some vintages do deserve the hype.

kbutler1, Sep 24, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Finally. Couldn't wait to try this one. Thank you so much Gary for the bottle, vintage 2010. Reddish black pour with little to no head. Complex aroma of coffee, molasses and cherries and but also scotch (peat, smoke) aged port and a hint of soy sauce. Wonderful flavors of chocolate covered maraschino cherries alongside with dark fruits such as prunes and grapes. Incredibly tasty. The vinous mouthfeel showcase the flavors magnificiently without being too heavy. A beautiful marriage of the intensity of the american style with the drinkability of the European interpretations. Beyond my expectations.

Luk13, Sep 19, 2010