Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
BacklitAvenger

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

2007 Vintage in feb. 2009, ratings updated to 09 vintage as reviewed below.

Good lord. This is a beer, friends, a beer that will change your conceptions of just what beer can be. My friend's uncle opened up a bottle to share with me. It was the silver dipped wax, I believe he said he thought it was the '07. Pops the top and pours half into a chalice for me, half into a chalice for him.

Appearance - I love beers with intensity in their color, whether they be light or dark. Example being Sierra Nevada Pale Ale vs Rolling Rock. The SNPA has a more intense color, and is likewise better in taste as well. This beer is so intensely colored that it is the absence of color itself. Black like coal, like outer effing space it is.

Smell - Let me down just a teensy bit. I could detect the typical stouty smells but the big hits of fruit I was about to taste weren't there to be scented.

Taste - Lordy folks we have lots of flavors here, more than any beer reasonably ought to possess. First you get a rich, sweet malt, and then bam bam bam rapid fire blackberries raspberries plums, hints of hops, and then as the fruit subsides as you swallow all of a sudden there's roasted coffee on the palate! And I will have you know I am not given to the whole "oh I taste vanilla and bananas and pizza and dog shit in this wine" type of talk lightly. This beer truly does however possess these tastes in full.

Mouthfeel - Tar. This is some sludgey stuff people. I'm talking the next morning I noticed it stained the chalice BROWN for chrissake. It's that sticky and gooey. And good. If it had the taste it has without a mouthfeel that can stand up alongside it, it would be off balance, and imperfect. This beer will stand up and walk away, as it should.

Drinkability - I had only a chalice full, but I would have loved to drink more. Even at 13% abv I was craving for more. The alcohol is buried under the bombastic taste, you can barely even tell there's any ethanol there. I'd have drank the whole bottle if possible and kept going till my head hit the table. Why? Cause it's that good folks, truly deliciously amazingly awesome beer. Only reason it doesn't get a 5.0 is because while I would TRY to drink this all night, it would sooner rather than later put me down like a lame racehorse.

02-20-2009 22:04:23 | More by BacklitAvenger
Gtreid

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

DL 08' poured into a snifter. (Got this as a birthday present!)

A: Black, pure black. No light will shine through. A smooth pour produces one and a half fingers of wet sand color head that when receedeing produces thick lace.

A: This is one of the most complex noses I have ever encountered. Molasses, nuts, dried dark fruit, rasins, currants, and sooo much more than I can decyfer. Bready and roasted malts dominate but the hops come through to give it a nice balance.

T: Again, extremely complex. Very much like the nose. Dried fruit, coffee, roasted nuts, and bread are prominant.

M & D: Smooth, heavy body, very little carbonation. At 13% this is a sipper. As it warms the drinkability goes through the roof. All in all a very good, complex beer. Is it the best beer in the world? I don't think so, but that is a matter of opinon. The complexity alone give this one cred. Excellent! Skal.

02-17-2009 01:01:36 | More by Gtreid
razorsdescent

Ive been eager to review/drink this highly touted brew for years now. For christmas my GF presented me with a bottle.

I finally got around to trying it and i was most certainly impressed.

A- It poured thick and dark black with a great chocolate head that looked thick and creamy.

S- Cherries covered in dark belgian chocolate rich and deep aromas abound.

T- Big malty chocolate cake with hints of toffee, coffee clove and dark fruits. a very slight hint of soy sauce but in a pleasing way.

M- Thick and creamy with a flavor that coats the mouth. it really is a dessert in a bottle.

D- If it was possible to give it a 6 out of 5 on this on drinkability i would. there are many stouts out there but none quite like this. i would drink this until the morning light and then just keep on.

Believe the hype on this one it really is an extraordinary beer. if you cant find the dark lord i would however recommend chokolat stout from southern tier as i believe it to be almost as good.

02-13-2009 22:38:23 | More by razorsdescent
aerozeppl

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Big thanks to Beertracker for this via trade. Shared with some BAs.

A: Jet black. No light at all. A half finger of mocha head. Some lacing. I have had my share of super dark beers and this is right there at the top. Did I mention it poured like motor oil after 1000 miles in a car?

S: Big roasted smell more than anything else. The other usual suspects were there. To be honest this is the big letdown of this beer.

T: Big taste. Big bourbon up front. I know it is not barrel aged but between all the booze and everything else I got bourbon. Tons of coffee. This is a massive beer. It just wears your taste buds down.

M: Really thick mouthfeel. Very rich and creamy. Wonderful.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. Is it worth the hype? I really don't know. Is it a great beer? Definately. Glad I got to share this with some other BAs. Thanks again to beertracker for the opportunity.

02-10-2009 02:20:09 | More by aerozeppl
RedHaze

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Many thanks to bditty187 for this 2008 bottle.

Pours a deep, dark, viscous black with a thin mocha head that fades quickly to a thin ring. The lacing is minimal, but that's not surprising with the head fading so quickly, and high alcohol. And if any beer could be said to have legs, this would be it. What a thick beer.

Smell; dark bitter chocolate, spent coffee ground, rich molasses and a touch of soy sauce. A little hop presence swirls around in the background, but it is there, as well as some dark fruits.

Taste; dark chocolate and coffee come through upfront, but not as bitter as the nose suggested. But I'm sure the sweet molasses, prunes and....cherries!?!? (where did that come from?) had something to do with keeping the bitterness down. Some mild hops come through towards the finish, followed by more chocolate and molasses.

Mouthfeel is incredibly full, and so very smooth. Alost malted milk smooth. The drinkability is reall good as well, especially with the alcohol being so well hidden. Is this really 13% alcohol?

02-07-2009 01:07:00 | More by RedHaze
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Had a bomber of the 2008 version. Very complex aroma of chocolate, toffee, coffee, licorice and malty dark fruits intermingling together....with the alcohol weighing into the nose for effect. Poured pitch black with a dark brown head that lingered well and left good lacing on the glass. Mouthfeel was bready and chewy, and the taste was a virtual copy of the nose, with each sip accentuating a different blend of flavors. Finish was heavy, long lasting and warming, which was perfect on this cold winter's night.

I'm not a big fan of Impy Stouts, but this beer lived up to its hype.

02-06-2009 23:29:49 | More by kimcgolf
JonathanL7890

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my 100th beer review. YAY!, only took 1 year...
2007 Vintage. Shared with 4 friends.
Appearance : Thick black motor oil like consistency. Slight 1 finger or so foam, delayed.
Beer leaves a brown coating on the glass instead of legs.
Aroma: coffee, caramel, roasted malts.
Taste: Coffee, chocolate, caramel. A slight burn in my throat.
Mouthfeel: the thickest most viscous beer I have had. Very syrupy. Liquid glaze.
Drinkability. I would have a hard time finishing this bottle by myself. It's too thick to be very drinkable.

02-06-2009 21:57:26 | More by JonathanL7890
gford217

Georgia

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Review #600. 2008 bottle, courtesy of a few generous traders, poured into a tulip during the Super Bowl.

Pours oil-slick black with a big two-finger mocha head that hangs on as a cap and leaves very good lacing.

The aroma is thick with deep, sweet, dark malts and tons of molasses and dark fruit. Bakers chocolate and espresso show up in the background. There are plums, raisins and dates along with a hefty alcohol burn in the nostrils. As it warms up, the aroma really explodes.

The taste is massive with tons of dark malts, roasted espresso and dark sweet fruit. There are hints of hops in the finish, which, along with the espresso, leave a slightly bitter finish. The roasted character is balanced well by a molasses sweetness that underpins the explosion of other flavors.

The mouthfeel is as thick and syrupy as any beer I've had in recent memory. Low carbonation and slick on the palate that leaves the malts all of the tongue in the finish.

This is a huge beer and one that I am glad I've had the opportunity to try. Every sip seems to open up another flavor or layer that I hadn't noticed before. I started out thinking it was a little over-hyped, but by the end of the bottle I had jumped on the bandwagon.

2006 gold wax-dipped bottle. Tasted 7/5/09. Big thanks to Josh for passing along this bad boy.

Compared to the 2008 bottle, this one pours with a slightly smaller head and leaves no lacing, just oily legs that cling to the glass after each sip.

The aroma is massively sweet with lots of dark fruits, licorice and dark chocolate malts. There is much more of an old-ale type aroma than the 08 though, with some caramel and toffee sweetness that I didn't get in the 08 bottle.

The taste is the same story as the aroma with some interesting aged components showing up with a lot less heat than the fresh 08. Lots of dark roasted malts, chocolate, licorice and a slightly toasty finish. I'm not getting as much coffee in this vintage and there's no hops left either.

Massive, thick, almost chewy mouthfeel with soft carbonation, but not enough to take away from the thick oily feel.

The 06 is a much more refined and well-rounded beer than the 08 was fresh. That said, I actually might enjoy the huge, over-the-top, in-your-face slap in the face of the fresh version. A slightly different beer with age on it, but still world class.

02-03-2009 03:46:05 | More by gford217
kmeves

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

2008 Bottle: Pours an opache pitch black with a small brown head. Aroma is fruity sweet and very rich. Plums, raisins, malty, anise and drak chocolate. Flavor very sweet with dark fruit, rich chocolate, coffee and a nice undertone of flower, herbs and grapefruit. Finish is very long with chocolate, coffee and dark fruit. Large bodied, very silky and smooth texture with only a slight alcohol burn. Now I know what all the fus is about!

02-01-2009 22:53:27 | More by kmeves
SykDoc

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Much thanks to my friends that put on the stout tasting last night, I was fortunate to try many of the best imperial stouts there are. We were also provided rating forms because after a while, the palate and the memory get a bit fuzzy.

This was poured from a bottle into a flute. It pours like motor oil and is black and opaque when held to the light. Almost no head forms and it is short lived with a minimal lattice lacing.

The aroma was quite assertive and included notes of minimal bourbon, baker's chocolate and dark malt. There is also slight hints of tobacco and a currant-like sweetness.

The taste was very complex. It was quite toasty with nice components of oak and bourbon. I also got the hint of dark cherries here. The chocolate was not quite a prominent, nor was the coffee. You have to love malts!

The mouthfeel revealed a fairly mild carbonation which blended nicely with the taste. It made this a rich tasting but smooth beverage. It finished with a unique stickiness that seemed to cling to my lips. It is thick with a full body.

Overall, I thought this was the best stout of the night. It was extremely drinkable and I am looking forward to Dark Lord Days. It is actually dangerous to me because of the alcohol content and how good it tastes.

02-01-2009 15:39:46 | More by SykDoc
jwinship83

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

2008 bottle from sammydavisjrjrjr in person.

A- the first thing I notice about this one is how thick it looks coming out of the bottle. Its unlike anything ive ever seen before. Black as black can be with a coffee colored head so small its not even worth talking about. As for lacing, it leaves a slimy trail along any part of the glass it touches. If motor oil had carbonation I bet this is what it would look like.

S- very complex. Lots of booze. Lots of charred malt. The smell reminded me of the last inch of coffee when its left on the burner too long. Tobacco/raisin is strongly in the nose as well

T- again, very complex. The alcohol is very subdued compared to how it smells and how high the level is. It tastes very charred. Everything is burnt. Coffee, chocolate, cherries, raisins/tobacco....it tastes like burning

M- insanely thick. Thicker than I thought possible. It makes all other beers seem watery in comparison. Feels like a milkshake in my mouth. Lots of warming from the high ABV. This is what an RIS should feel like. perfect.

D- this is the hardest part to rate for this beer. On one hand, I was able to finish my bottle faster than most beers I drink. I loved drinking it. It's probably the most intense beer ive ever had. On the other hand, I was pretty buzzed after it and another bottle would have pushed me way over the edge. A fantastic birthday present to myself, and something I wish I could drink on a regular basis. Fantastic.

01-30-2009 15:08:16 | More by jwinship83
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.15/5  rDev -3%

2007 Bottle Received in trade from Grub, Thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a solid black with a thin mocha head that dissipates quickly. Smells of chocolate syrup, coffee, dried dark fruits faint hops in the background. Tastes of chocolate and dried fruit, a bit vinous, leaves a roast bitterness in the finish. Thick body, although I thought it would be thicker. Syrupy mouthfeel, light carbonation. Well I finally got to try it. Good solid stout, there are better out there, but this one ranks pretty high in my book. I would have loved the roast to be a bit more in the foreground and the fruits a bit more in the back.

I had to go back and this comment to my review after we poured the second half of this bottle. The bottom half of the the bottle was thick and chunky when poured. The second half was actually better tasting with a much thicker mouthfeel than the first. I guess I didn't realize that this beer wasn't homogenized.

01-26-2009 23:38:08 | More by johnnnniee
spointon

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I had this one at a brewers dinner last night at the Three Floyd's brewpub. The two guys next to me did not want this offering, so I got a nice full glass of this from which to draw the following observations.

A= This stout poured a very dark black color that was just about as thick and viscous as you could ever imagine a beer to be. The head poured just 1/8" and disappeared quickly.

S= I found a complex, heady aroma profile of chocolate, sherry, coffee, dark fruits, and quite a bit of alcohol.

T= This was a moderately complex beer and not at all what I was expecting. Unlike many other RISs I have had, this lacked the huge array of flavors common for the style and was more like a "regular" stout done large. Anyway, I tasted a big sweet malt base with a hint of raisins, and maybe some molasses. Hops were detectable but not overwhelming. Some bitterness came forth in the form of chocolate and coffee, but not a large amount. Finish was full of warming alcohol.

MF= Extremely heavy body, easily the thickest beer I have ever had. Mouth feel was viscous and clingy. Carbonation feel was low, despite the fact that it was there. Creamy for sure!

D= Though I cannot say that in this first experience this lived up to the hype for me, it is an outstanding beer nonetheless. A great beer and one I will gladly drink again and again, learning more about it each time I am sure!

01-24-2009 01:12:47 | More by spointon
Haybeerman

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Deep, pitch black color. Poured a 3 finger brown color head with good retention. Thick consistent lacing.

S: Dark, sweet fruits, butterscotch and anise. Had an earthy, oak smokiness.

T: Big buttery note up front. Dark fruits and chocolate follow. Lingering bitter for the finish.

M: A big full-bodied beer. Thick and chewy with malt. Light carbonation.

D: Very interesting and engaging beer. The 13% is a bit daunting.

01-22-2009 18:33:29 | More by Haybeerman
jpaltan

2008 vintage.

Pours motor oil black and thickness. Coffee colored head a finger thick, then flattens out to an oil slick surface. Nose is alcohol and plum, notes of coffee and espresso. really enticing smell.

taste is quite powerful. all coffee in this one. cappuccino flavors give way to espresso bitterness. some notes of caramel. mouthfeel on this beer is damn near perfection in glass. 13% is extremely well hidden with only a hint of the heavy booziness at the end. really impressive beer. this beer is world class and worth seeking out. i can't imagine what this beer would be like with a couple of years on it.

01-18-2009 22:22:11 | More by jpaltan
BMoney575

Sampled on 1-16-09
2008 Vintage
Reviewed from notes.

A: Super oily and black, with a thin head that coates the glass with a thin, yellow layer.

S: Surprisingly old, tons of oak, smoke, anise, and molasses. Thick and crazy complex, probably the best smelling beer ever.

T: Wow. This beer is only 9 months old but tastes like it's been aging for years. Oak all over the place, followed by a sweet, almost fruity quality. Hugely malty and yeasty, big in every way. Different than any other RIS I've had.

M: Low carbonation, thick and syrupy, coats the glass and the palate.

D: Insanely good for such an extreme beer, the flavors are just so addicting.

My first and only 5.0 rated beer.

01-18-2009 21:38:39 | More by BMoney575
jwc215

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to ralflord for this one!
2007 vintage:

Pours black/dark brown with a fleeting light brown head. No lacing, but some "legs".

The smell is of prunes, raisins, chocolate. Strong.

The taste is of sweetened prunes/dates/figs with chocolate and brown sugar. Sweet, but not in an artificial way. Very prune-ish. Finishes a bit sticky.

Rich and full-bodied. Syrupy with little carbonation. Very dense. Thick. Sticky. Still, first few sips went down well enough.

It's nice enough to sip on it, but it is like an overly rich cake - can only do so much. The alcohol isn't raw, but does creep in.

Worth the hype? Mixed feelings. It does have a rich maltiness that is subtley balanced (while remaining sweet), but very sticky and almost too rich.

01-17-2009 05:19:09 | More by jwc215
david131

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

2008 Bottle

A- Deep dark black. Right up there with the darkest ones out there. With a nice swirl, the beer leaves a light brown/ yellow oily residue on the sides. The head retention isn't great, but another swirl reignites the deep brown head for a bit. With a bit more retention this would be a 5.0.

S- Smells surprisingly aged. Vanilla, molasses, anise, chocolate... maybe a bit of mint. It is really deep. Easily one of the best smelling stouts ever.

T- Absolutely insane. I am speechless. Some fruitiness, molasses, anise, chocolate, and that typical Three Floyds flavor I have come to know and love. The alcohol is not noticeable. Doesn't taste quite as aged as the aroma would lead you to believe.

M- Velvety smooth. Very very smooth.

D- It has been a long time since I have been this blown away by a beer. The alcohol will catch up with you, but it isn't harsh or all that noticeable. This is drinking really good right now. Believe the hype.

01-17-2009 03:00:17 | More by david131
brantadid

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured black with a brown one finger head forming. Tiny bubbles of carbonation appeared to struggle through the viscousity of this beer on their way to the surface. I have never seen a more viscous beer. No light passes through this beer.

The smell was the most disappointing part of this beer. Definately got some burnt coffee, raisin, and malt.

Taste is unbelievable. This beer is an assault on the palate. The complexity and layers of flavor are just amazing. Big and super malty with layers of coffee, dates and figs, with an almost port like quality. The length of flavor just goes on and on. Less hop profile than I expected.

Mouthfeel is super viscous. The beer and flavor just coat and stick to everywhere in your mouth. Carbonation seems to be on the low side.

Alcohol presents in a nice warming from the back of the throat to the front of the palate. It is masked nicely. This is a complicated and thought provoking beer. Due to the amount and intensity of flavor, I don't know how much of this I could drink, but it certainly leaves you wanting more.

One of the few beer that, after all the hype, I wasn't disappointed in.

01-13-2009 04:39:30 | More by brantadid
charladam

2008 Black Wax 22oz bottle
Served in an chalice

L) Dark red hue on the periphery while the center is murky black. Very little head but solid lacing nonetheless.

S)Raisins, Dried Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Dark Chocolate, Espresso.

T)Overtones of espresso but by no means overpowering, alcohol becomes slightly more apparent as the beer warms, dark chocolate, raisins, earth

F)Creamy, syrupy, but not as viscous as I anticipated, mild carbonation reveals itself with every sip as it foams a bit in my mouth.

D)This beer goes down easily despite being very "big" in character, yet something to be savored.

Overall: The hype for this beer is a bit ridiculous despite the fact that it is quite possibly the best example of the style. At least from what I have sampled.

01-08-2009 04:49:06 | More by charladam
Suprasman01

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

2008, Pours black as night in the 32oz. snifter. Nose gives a stiff yet sweet shake in my loins. This is a true beer, 2008 is another fine representation from Three Floyds and worthy of the name and fame that is Dark Lord Imperial Stout.

B.T.W. am I reading this correct? Someone found this at a retailer? Jungle Jim's ? Let alone almost 9 whole months after Dark Lord day? I find that hard to believe. You sure that it was "Three Floyds" Dark Lord?

01-06-2009 05:53:11 | More by Suprasman01
tmoneyba

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured black hue with small dark brown head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Aroma was a complex heavy combo of molasses, chocolate and coffee. Full creamy body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Flavor was as complex of heavy sweet and a long solid finish. Clearly has earned this high rating and is one of my top six active bottled beers for style.

01-05-2009 23:00:26 | More by tmoneyba
JWD

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Big thanks to RoyMunson on this one, Thanks for the opportunity to try this very hyped beer,2008 bottle. Also a 2007 bottle, from another trade!

A-2008 Death black with an evil dark tan head, the lacing and sludge that this beer produces as it warms is second to none, i still cannot see through the glass correctly.2007 looks identical

S-2008 its good but very sweet, sweeter than i imagined for a beer of this caliber, the Abyss, Stone RIS are better more traditional examples of this style, this is still very good. 2007 bottle was IMO better as some roasty coffee was detected which offset the sweetness up front.

T- Once again just ok for the 08 and very good for the 07, it taste like raisans, molasses, sugar, and more sweetness. there is a big disappointment here on the 08, the 07 has a very balanced and more complex less sweet taste. (its is a year older)

M- Very thick, GI BCS is thicker cold but as it warms this is the thickest beer i have ever had, hell it almost frothy like a starbucks mocha..

D- Not bad just very sweet, it makes your lips sticky and the sweetness is off the charts as my lips are very sticky right now. The abv is undetectable.

Well,

2008 bottle, Very good just a little sweet with lack of other flavores to balance it out, outstanding and a must try.

2007 bottle, Outstanding!!! everything i missed in the 08 was found here, some roasted coffee!!

I will continue to seek this out and age if a year of rest makes it this good. Dark lord day 09!!

01-05-2009 05:22:34 | More by JWD
waltonc

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

2008 bottle.

A: Viscous oily black, with small tan head.

S: Soy sauce, chocolate, molasses, salted caramel, super deep roasted coffee, and thickness. Yes, this smells thick.

T: Again, soy sauce is the first thing that comes to mind. Burnt, salty soy. Molasses, chocolate, maybe a little vanilla, and coffee. Lots of sugar in here.

M: Thick, sticky, beef jerky-like body, with medium carbonation. Carbonation is just right.

D: Can't drink a ton of this. Heavy, thick, sweet, and high ABV = not the most drinkable of beers.

01-03-2009 02:13:56 | More by waltonc
schellsbeer

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Review from notes taken from sampling party early December 2008.

Lets just say....all the hype is true....

One of the most perfect beers I have ever tasted. INCREDIBLE. Really, there aren't words to describe this master brew....WOW

A - Dark Red. Black Cherry. Prunes. Chocolate. Sorry to sound like a girl but this beer is beautiful. The best looking beer I have ever seen....Period.

S - Prunes. Chocolate. Raisins. Cherries. So many things going on....it is just incredible.

T - SMOOTH. Creamy. Filling. Incredible. Chocolate cherries. Thank you so much Tim for standing in line for 5 hours and sharing this with our group. Perfection in a bottle.

M - Creamy and smooth. I never wanted my glass to end. All hail Three Floyds Dark Lord.

D - 4.5 because of 13% but never once did I taste alcohol.

The most perfect beer I have ever or probably will ever have. Sorry Surly Darkness...your close....but just not quite to this lever....close though, very close.

In a simple statement....this beer is almost perfection in a bottle.

01-03-2009 01:55:16 | More by schellsbeer