Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

2011 yellow waxed bottle, thanks Nate.

A: Very dark chocolate in color not quiet black in my opinion. Very little head which was expected, a fair amount of carbonation, which may fade over extended aging.

S: Roasted chocolate, coffee, caramelized sugar, a hint of booze, cinnamon and nutmeg. This has a wonderful nose.

T: A very pronounced sweetness hits the mouth first (I wonder if lactose is used). Then roasted malts and coffee come into play. There are a number of things going on spice is mixing with some heat from the alcohol. This has a very distinct flavor for the style.

M,O: This beer certainly coats the palate. It is very unique in so far that I had expected the beer to be slightly dryer on the mouth due to the strength instead there was a nice sweetness. I am interested to see how this beer ages.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

2007 Vintage Silver Wax
This has been aging since 2007 at 50 degrees year round

Pour black as used motor oil except thicker. small head on an aggressive pour. cloudy, even for a pitch black beer. might have swirl a little if the infamous sludge into my glass.

The flavor is strong and sweet. intense roasty flavors.SWEET SWEET.
The mouthfeel has thinned and bit over the years from how I remember it.
A little chalky and very chewey.
I dont think I could finish a whole bottle by myself because of the assault on my palate.
3 floyds hops are still present.

There are so many other imperial stouts I would crack over this and actually finish by myself but this is still a unique experience.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Vintage 2010- Green wax. Let me start off by saying "WOW"...had this as part of our Blind Epic Beer Tasting Event and it took 1st overall. List included 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, 2011 KBS, 2011 Hanahpu, 2010 Abyss.

A- Pours pitch black with a minimal tan head that dissipates quickly. Very thick with decent carbonation.

S- Chocolate malt, dried fruit, espresso and wet barrel. Smells very good.

T- Taste was exceptional and got better as it warmed up. Did not expect it to be this sweet. Sweet roasted taste with a touch of vanilla as it warmed up. Alcohol was undetectable with such a high ABV. Very well hidden.

M- Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Light carbonation.

O- Overall, this is the best beer that I've tasted so far. I believe the beer becomes more balancned and complex as it warms up. I'm anxious to get another bottle to cellar and enjoy this experience again.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

2010 vintage (green wax) - 22oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe as part of our blind 8 impy stout tasting.

A - Clear, dark brown with mahogany accents. Low collar, barely any lacing.

S - Liquid chocolate...milky, sweet, smooth, totally chocolatey.

T - Syrupy, milk chocolatey. As it warms a bit there is a boozy and almost bourbony aspect that comes out of it giving a touch of heat and maybe a hint of vanilla too.

M - Tingly, warm, bourbony alcohol. A medium carbonation adds to the tingle and complements the medium/full body of this beer.

O - Very good imperial stout - 2nd overall in the group. A little bit of heat/bourbony warmth in here that worked nicely. This is also my second go 'round with Dark Lord. The previous bottle was an '09 and was a miserable experience that left me and the rest of my tasting group shaking our heads over why this was so popular as we actually poured half the bottle down the drain. This time was much different and far more enjoyable - I understand the popularity more now. Going into the tasting, we joked that this would be the winner (after all of us had the same '09 experience)...and in the end, it almost did - finishing 2nd to Kate.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

A-oily blackish brown with a thin light tan head that disappears

S-burnt dark roasted chocolate malts. definitely smells woody. i smell the port wine aroma as well. its a strong scent. really rare and great.

T-comes in thick like dark chocolate syrup with a sweetness that's extremely drinkable. it just slides down your throat so easily leaving so many flavors behind. the dark roasted cocoa and coffee beans are very evident. the tastes are of high quality. there's a thick oily bitterness that's very appreciated.

M-very thick with low carbonation and an oily finish

O-a bomber can be finished by one's self. it is a great stout, very very drinkable. the ABV could never be guessed to be so high. it goes down almost in a quaffable ease. this is an extreme beer though that everyone needs to try.

1.24/5  rDev -71%

2009 bottle acquired via trade

A - Motoroil like thickness that clinged to glass when swirled, small head

Smell - like burnt peat moss, totally turned me off

Mouthfeel - undercarbonated and way too thick and viscous

Taste - I'll take someone's else descritiption because it right on "like chewing on brownie batter", more like burnt brownie batter

Overall - Terrible and I don't understand the hype but to each there own. I could hardly get this beer down.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Whoa, it doesn't get much better than this...

A-pours a thick motor oil with a dark/black body and a mocha brown thin head. attractive frothy texture as you swirl. it'd be nice to see a little more head though.

S-most russian imperial stouts are going to smell like roasty chocolate and coffee--but since this beer is made with real Intelligencia coffee those smells are even stronger and more assertive. Amazing. A beer can't smell any better than this. So rich and full.

T-tastes like it smells. Coffee, chocolate, caramel, maybe a little peanut butter spread over burnt toast. No subtlety going on here, these flavors are powerful.

M-this is the only area that I feel that this beer isn't world class. It's good don't get me wrong. But it's not very carbonated. If this was just a LITTLE frothier and fizzier it'd be the perfect beer. It's maybe just a little flat in the mouth but the aromas and flavors make up for it. The alcohol doesn't overpower at all even though it's a high ABV beer. Definitely a sipper though because (a) you'll want to savor ever sip and (b) this is a HEAVY beer that you couldn't drink a ton of.

O-this beer lives up to the hype. it's not just marketing or propaganda, this is a legitimate world class beer and a UNIQUE one at that. I've never had more fun drinking a beer.

3.3/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 white wax bottle. Pours a fairly thick black with some dark brown wisps around the edges. Nose is big, powerful roasted malts, dark chocolate fudge, some savory, almost soy sauce like qualities. Mouth is really hot, opens with a heavy charred character, messy and all over the place. Sugary and salty at the same time. Fairly thick mouth feel, with sharp carbonation. Ultimately huge, messy, all over the place. Some fun qualities that probably appeal to a lot of people, but to me it's kind of a chore to drink.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

A two-year vertical (year-old 2010 green wax, fresh 2011 yellow wax) last night. Review is about both except where specified.

Poured dark and thick with a little bit of head. Not much difference in the aromas. They smell sweet and rich. No detectable alcohol or hop aromas.

Sips like it pours. The fresh one gave a nice coffee kick at the end that was missing from the aged one, yet the 2010 was a lot smoother and mellow. The flavors had melded a lot. Both are still very sweet. I have come to prefer my big stouts a little drier, but this is still tasty. Right now, it's a tradeoff between being able to taste the coffee and the mellow smoothness of the year-old. I think I need to save the others for next year's vertical.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally cracked open a fresh bottle from 2011 after finding a good occasion; last night in my apartment.

A-Dark, like motor oil, some carbonation very sticky lacing.

S-Chocolate, roasted malts and some slight hints of coffee

T-Chocolate, the coffee is slightly more present here than the nose, roasted malts. Very very sweet, some bitterness. If it had a slight bit more it would be perfect in the taste.

M-Rather smooth, not overly syrupy.

O-A great beer, so glad I went to DLD. It is worth the hype, I think there are better stouts. The beer does get better as it warms as a heads up, it is the best at room temp.

I'm not one for reviewing, so all of my reviews will be of beers that I really enjoy. After all, I was taught at an early age that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. I know this doesn't make for interesting critiques but as a brewer I don't believe in criticizing someone's hard work, especially in a public forum where they can't defend themselves!

That being said, this is one of my all time favorites. I've done a few verticals of this one and feel that a year or two on this one, just takes an already perfect beer to another level. How this is 15% is beyond me. While I can feel if after a glass or three, you can't tell while sipping it. The mouthfeel is what I love the most about this brew. Heavenly. You feel like this one can be poured out and cut with a steak knife. Just pure thick, chewy greatness.

This beer gets an ungodly amount of hype that I feel is worth every word.

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

Review: Three Floyds  Dark Lord 2011 - yellow wax

Appearance- well, dark lord is dark. Pours pitch black with a minimal tan head that dissipates right away. Pretty decent carbonation and very thick.

Smell- smells of sweet chocolate malt, dried fruit, with a light touch of nutty espresso. Smells very good.

Taste- tastes pretty similar to the smell except with a pretty intense sweetness. Did not expect it to be this sweet. Very sweet roasty taste with a touch of vanilla as it warms a bit. Alcohol is present near the end but only slightly.

Mouthfeel- mouthfeel is smooth and thick, but not too thick. Light carbonation.

Overall- overall it is a very good beer. My only complain is the intense sweetness with the first couple of sips. As the beer warms, I believe it becomes more balanced and the aftertaste it leaves in your mouth is quite nice. I'm anxious to get another bottle to cellar for a year or so and see how that mellows the taste.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Shared a 2011 bottle with three friends a week after release.

It pours extremely dark with a tight mocha head, and the nose was very sweet--vanilla, toffee, charred cherries, chocolate, licorice.

The taste is just as complex, with all of those notes and more. For me the most prominent was definitely cherries and a sort of plum jam. Smoke is also prominent, and the mouthfeel is thick and sticky with lots of sugar residues. Ultimately it's very sweet and a bit hot right now, but I look forward to aging it and trying it again after it's mellowed.

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle shared by nrbw23. Review from notes.

Pours syrupy as hell. As much as I get tired of hearing Ryan describe DL as "dip spit," I suppose it actually does resemble the thick grossness that is dip spit.

That said, those properties in the appearance of an Imperial Stout are not always a bad thing. Small dark mocha head. The pour was too small to appreciate any potential lace.

The aroma is very sweet. Some vanilla and light dry oakiness comes through, I imagine that the dry, bitter black malts are responsible for this. Toffee, licorice, and char are all prominent.

This is definitely a sweet stout. While attempting to drink more than a glass or so of this might grow wearisome given the sweetness, I actually found this to be refreshingly flavorful. Many RIS's are overly dry, bitter, and chock full of grainy ash and char. Some sweetness here is a welcome change from many of the stouts I have been drinking recently.

Deep notes of molasses and burnt brown sugar give way to vanilla and a few mildly tart dark fruit characteristics.

Medium carbonation, very thick and chewy, ultimately a full-bodied RIS to be sure. Slightly hot, though at the time I remember being amazed that this beer was 15%.

Overall I liked it, and can't wait to get my hands on a bottle of my own, or at least the chance to partake in a full pour sometime.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Many thanks to injuredreserve for killing our tasting with this badboy!!!

A- Pour is pretty much black as night. Though, the pour wasn't as vicious as I anticipated. Head was a big mocha color, and lace was great.

S- The aroma was a unique one. There were parts I didn't care for, but parts were magnificent. When stirred, the aroma was very harsh; lots of booze, dark fruits and the complexities seemed lost. However, when left still, the dark savory aroma's shones through. Big chocolate, toffee, coffee, roasted notes, licorice, oak, vanilla.

T- The taste hid all noticeable alcohol notes, first and foremost. For 15%, that's amazing. It tasted initially like a big chocolate bar, some coffee, lots of roast, toffee, malt sweetness....it's a hugely rich beer, but despite that, it avoided being the slightest bit cloying.

M- The feel was thick, and overall full, but didn't have that viciousness that garnered it's legend. I've had chewier, thick, and more intense brews. Don't get me wrong, it was great. But to be the stuff of legends, you have a stigma to live up to and it was not quite there on the feel.

O- Overall, for being a 15% RIS, fresh as hell, There's little need for improvement. I'm sure that with some age, the appearance, aroma and feel will be intensely improved. I'm sure that's the way it was intended anyhow.

There's no wrong time for DL, and I hope this is the first of many encounters!

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks for Kaydogg for sharing a yellow wax dipped bomber of 2011 Three Floyds Dark Lord. At 15% ABV, this is a big boy stout. I'm not sure what the grain bill on this beer, but I can't imagine a beer this big is all-malt.

The beer is a like used motor oil. I know the comparison to big stouts is often made to 10W-40, but in this case it is deserving. There is very little carbonation and just a wisp of sticky ecru foam. The beer smells mildly malty, with strong roast coffee notes and bruised apples. The beer tasted very sweet and syrupy with italian espresso and dark chocolate bitterness. The added coffee and molasses are definitely featured but the vanilla is hard to find. No hop flavor contribution and very little alcohol presence despite the ABV. The high amount of unfermentable sugars makes for a thick, oily, chewy beer.

A tasty beer, that could mellow with some time, it had a bit too much coffee for my personal preference, in a year or two this will only get better. For some the sweetness might be too much, but I think with the coffee, caramel, bitterness and malt, this turned out to be quite palatable, in the smaller portion that I had. I can imagine that half of a bomber would be too much. Very delicious, hopefully, these will be get easier to trade for and more people will get a chnace to try the beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

2011 Vintage poured into a 12oz snifter

A - Pitch black. A little thinner than expeted on the pour, with a dark, chocolate or mocha colored head. About a half fingers worth. Beastly Lacing

S - Holy Dark Fruit!!!! very sweet, very sticky smelling with some light chocolate and molases on the back end of it

T - Very sweet and syrupy, with a lot of dark fruit, ripe apple and some sweet stickiness on the finish. I love how sticky and sweet this is, it makes me feel like i should go to the dentist tomorrow!

M - By far my favorite part about this beer is how sticky it is. The residual sugar in this is what makes it for me, and I love it.

Notes - Really glad I tried this. Awesome beer. The heat actually works with the flavor as your mouth kind of "cools" after each gulp. I really enjoy this.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 650 ml 2011 bottle into a darkness snifter glass.

A- Pitch black motor oil, ½ finger mocha brown head dissipates quickly, very attractive lacing.
S- Very unique, a lot going on with this one. The alcohol aroma is present but not too overpowering, very sweet, hints of chocolate as well, caramel, hints of cocoa, some vanilla as well.
T- Wow big sweet dessert beer, caramel, very syrupy, just sweet, and complex, some chocolate and vanilla are present, very tasty and rich..
M- Big mouth feel, coats the palate, medium carbonation
O- My first Dark Lord, was not disappointed. A little too rich for me, but still was blown away. Definitely a sipper, great too share with a friend, look forward to trying one that is aged a bit.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

what can i say about the darklord, most look at this like a gigantic stout, which it is. but not the best of all of them, darklord is a very good but rough drink. very hot and strong rigid complex flavors, i drank out of brandy sifter. very good, just split the bottle with a friend

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks to Deuane for busting this one out of the basement for Hojaminbag and myself to try at 2am on DLD. 2007 silver waxed bottle poured into a taster glass.

A - Pours opaque black with a small half finger tall dark tan head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving my glass tinted a dark shade of brown.

S - Smells of rich chocolate sweetness, dark roasted coffee, dark fruits like figs and raisins, light vanilla sweetness, and a very faint cherry twang. This one has aged beautifully over the last four years.

T - Plenty of chocolate sweetness up front slowly giving way to a mix of dark roasted coffee and more chocolate malt. As the sweetness begins to die down you can detect some of the vanilla, dark fruits, and a bit more of that cherry twang. Finish has tons of sweet roast lingering for quite awhile. This is one of the better vintages of DL I have had.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sticky sweet feel with plenty of lingering roast in the finish. I have had this fresh and aged, and aged is by far the way to go.

O - I have had a few of the other vintages of DL before and they have all been excellent. This one has aged very well with most of the rough edges being smoothed out and the over the top booze dieing down a bit. Excellent stuff. Thanks again Deuane.

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%

Review #100!!

First 2011 bottle out of my 4pack. I'm celebrating the last of my finals for this semester with my cousin and a bottle of this bad boy.

Poured from a yellow waxed bomber into a tulip.

This one pours a very thick dark brown color and ends up an even darker brown that appears to have cola colored edging when held to the light. The head was minimal when poured but after a few swirls of the glass, Dark Lord leaves a fingers worth of dark, caramel colored, fast dissipating head. This brew has an intense amount of sticky oily legs that leave the glass a tinted brown color.

The nose is a wonderful bouquet of chocolate, cherries, figs, some earthy notes, coffee, a bit of vanilla, an even smaller amount of hops and booze all wrapped up together and pretty evenly matched. Chocolate covered cherries with espresso comes to mind.

The taste, where to begin with the taste! First off, it hits my lips with an iron fist, of thickness that is. Sweet milk chocolate and coffee come in side by side and make their way for a molasses, cherry and plum palate bath. The taste is akin to taking a sip of quality coffee while having a bite of cherry jam infused German chocolate cake in your mouth. The sweetness isn't overpowering but makes this one easy to drink because it masks the ABV quite well.

The mouthfeel is without a doubt full-bodied. This is probably one of the thickest beers I have had (closely matched with BCBS). Awesome presence and aftertaste that linger throughout. The oily feel and little carbonation tosses the flavors across my palate like a rag doll. The velvety smooth motor oil has a feeling akin to whole milk.

Overall, this one stands up to the hype and slaps it in the face. Big, bold, ballsy flavors come to the table and they mean business. Dark Lord has everything I want in a beer, tons of flavor, thickness, drinkability, and madness. This beast is amazing and I will be attending the next 60 Dark Lord Days to acquire it.

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

I was able to sample this beer thanks to my new favorite cousin.

It poured like engine oil. It's almost completely opaque with a gorgeous deep dark brown coloring. there was not much head when poured, but a good swirl of the glass brings a little head to fruition. When swirled, Legs were left on the side of the glass; this the thickest beer I've ever had.
I was overwhelmed at the complexity of this beer's smell. Chocolate was at the forefront of the smell, followed by a smell of cherry and an earthy smell with the alcohol rearing it's head towards the end.
I've never tasted anything so well balanced and complex. The feel of this beer while drinking was very similar to the texture of milk. Chocolate flavors hit first, with the fruit shining through closely after. the coffee shines throughout, and keeps all the other flavors in check. Also, the alcohol level hits you at the end with a decent kick. Fairly well masked though.

Overall, this beer is worth all the hype. It's fantastically crafted and extremely well balanced. I'm going to definitely be attending the next Dark Lord Day!

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2007 Edition.

This was yet another bottle shared with me by Deuane and SierraGS. The hospitality of Deuane and Carolyn knows no bounds. Thanks!

The body is black and thick looking. There is only a little bit of brown foam, but when swirled the liquid coats the glass like wine.

The aroma is packed with a good bit of sweetness, all kinds of coffee and a good bit of chocolate.

Oh man, this is really good. I'd say coffee takes the forefront, with a little bit of roast flavor to back it up. Then comes chocolate: first comes flavors of milk chocolate and then some notes of dark and bitter chocolate. Four years of age and there is still just a hint of hops that are hovering around in the background. Some dark fruits nudge forward, with cherries and dates. I expected this thing to be a sweet mess too, but the sweetness is in control and quite good, coming in the form of molasses and a bit of caramel flavor. I pick up a little bit of vanilla also. This beer is incredibly smooth and well-integrated.

The mouthfeel is huge. Smooth and heavy, almost like a light syrup. It works really well for the massive flavor profile that it delivers to your tongue.

Packed with flavor, not too boozy, and very smooth. Dark Lord is the real deal. I never bothered to try Dark Lord before because I honestly didn't think I would like it. Big stouts that are just a mess of alcohol, heat or cloying sweetness are not my thing; for example, I wasn't a fan of Black Tuesday and didn't like Chocolate Rain. So I went into trying Dark Lord more curiously than excitedly. The next occasion that I crack one of these will come sooner. With that said, I think 4 years of age on one of these was excellent, and I'm not sure that I would drink it with less.

1.98/5  rDev -53.7%

2011 Dark Lord Imperial Stout picked up by my son at Dark Lord Day and shared with friends during a night of beer and boardgames.

It poured jet black with red highlight when the wine glass was held up to the light. A gentle pour yielded a subtle head of tight tan bubbles. The nose was full of molasses, toasty malts, raisins and alcohol. First sips yielded a strange vegetal taste . It is very sweet with hints of dirt, and vanilla—maybe soft fruits. As it warmed, alcohol became more dominant with warming sherry notes and a hint of coffee. Full and round mouth feel. I was prepared to like this more than I did. I am sure it would become more rounded with age.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

2011 dark lord, my first thanks to my bud jeff

A-Deep hellish ambers to black, great tan head.. holds for about 30 seconds.

S-Bursts of alcohol and dark fruits, chocolates, roasted coffee, caramels. earthy IMO

T-GOOD DARKLORD! HOT! chocolates, coffee, darker fruits...plum. alcohol and hops balance out the malt in this great beer for sure, still very sweet but not too over powering.

M-Very thick(thats what she said) oily, weighs the jaw down, your palate will be satisfied.

O-amazing brew, FFF promises great beer. WILL be attending DLD!! hope i can get a few vintages as well as a few 11's.shared with a great friend=great memories and healthy palates.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.