Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: very dark motor oil appearance pours with a very dark head that dissipates soon after pour.
Smell: it smells like dark fruits, such as black cherries and burnt or smoked currents. Vaguely reminds of cherry cough syrup.
Mouthfeel: for a beer it has an odd texture to it. The dark liquid clings to your teeth and sides of your mouth leaving a prevalent film.
Taste: the first initial taste was mediciney if that makes sense. The smell and taste co inside it taste a bit like cough syrup, but better because then it turns amazing it is an overwhelming sensation of dark fruits and alcohol.
Drinkability: I don't think I could have one everyday , not that I wouldn't want to but after one glass I was a little buzzed.

Aimstatus, Sep 09, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to treyrab and jw347. Trey for splitting this beer with me, jw347 for trading it to him. This was a bottle of the 2008 vintage.

A: Wow...the bottle says it's the consistency of motor oil, and they aren't lying! The darkest thickest beer I have ever seen. It pours almost like maple syrup with just a small thin layer of foam.

S/T: The first smell I took smelled almost like a quad mixed with a grand cru mixed with a chocolate stout. Each time I smelled it, I got different flavors, fruity, malty, hoppy, slightly boozey, but every time it was incredible. I spent about 5 minutes just smelling this beer! The tastes are just as complex as the smells indicate. Taste ranging from burnt malts to hints of hops, but with a strong undertone of fruits.

M: Very little carbonation. This was one of the smoothest beers I have ever consumed. I generally like a little bit more texture thoughMakes it very easy to hold in your mouth as you swallow to truly appreciate all the different flavors.

D: Despite how phenomenal this beer was, it was TOUGH to finish. It is so thick, I recommend grabbing a friend before you try and finish this bottle!

Sampled again on 10/2/10. Again, the 2008 vintage.

The smell has atrophied to only chocolate and roasty aromas that come with a boozy alcohol warmth. The palate is similar, with the addition of some coffee and a good bit of sugary malt syrup. The mouthfeel is goopy and it feels like my tongue is slogging through much as I taste this beer. Definitely the pinnacle of a sipper.

NittanyBeerFan, Sep 08, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +4%

Big thanks to Jw347 for this phenomenal brew

A: Darkest beer I have ever seen. No light comes through this beast at all. It pours like syrup with a very small dark brown head.

S: The smell is like nothing I have ever smelled before. It is by far the most complex smelling beer I have ever had. Burnt fruit, burnt malt, burnt everything. A hint of alcohol as well as some hops in the nose too.

T: The taste is also the most complex taste I have ever had. Tons of burnt malt followed by coffee, chocolate, tons of dark fruits. The fruit flavors really develop in this beer, which is fantastic. So complex, I cannot possible point everything out.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. The mouthfeel is the thickest I have ever had and the drinkability - well, lets say you must split this bottle with someone. It was hard for me to even finish half and I loved this beer!

treyrab, Sep 06, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Snagged a bottle of this in Chicago, shared it with my best man. Pours opaque black with brown edges, the dense head quickly disappating. Smell is dried fruit and sulfur: taste is molasses and loquat and all kinds of heaven, with cocoa and coffee notes. It's thick as can be, but opens up nicely sip by sip. Not one I could drink alone, but quite pleasant to down. Glad I could finally try it.

gory4d, Sep 02, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

2008 DL thanks to two great beernuts. Gtreid and my new regular Todd.

A: snifter. obsidian in color, with a huge coffee colored head. good retention level, with some big sticky lacing.

S: huge aromas of coffee, molasses, some black currents, raisins, some bittersweet chocolate, as well as some mahogany wood.

T: tons of molasses, rich roasted malts, leading to tons of coffee, raisins, soy, honey, pipe tobacco, some black currents. Holy shit this beer it so complex.

M: thick and beefy. low to mild carbonation level. massive palate on this.

D: wow! one bottle of this and I am out. So good, but I think it is definitely overhyped. major thanks to Grant and Todd for both bring a bottle out of the blue on the same day. what an experience.

paulthebeerguru, Aug 07, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance-This beer poured an oil black with a thin brown head.

Smell- Wonderful smells of roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. Nice hints of the 13% alcohol.

Taste- Very good!! Very complex. All sorts of wonderful flavors like coffee, dark chocolate, and maybe molasses. The alcohol is detectable but well hidden.

Mouthfeel-Thick and creamy with low carbonation.

Overall-Incredible! Perhaps worth a trip to Dark Lord day next year? Hmmm. Maybe.

Beerbuddha, Aug 05, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Three Floyds- Dark Lord

Huge THANKS to Pimpp(Patrick) for this 1!
Review #1000!

A- Thick black with sticky carbonation on the sides and a huge frothy creamy tan head. Beautiful looking beer. I gave it a rough pour.
S- Big thick chocolate with heavy doses of sugary rock candy, dried fruits like; cherry, plum, and grape, and hints of caramel/ toffee.
T- Sweet cherry, raisin, and plum hits you immediately. Vanilla and caramel with a big mild dark chocolate body follow up the initial sweetness. Flavors blend and balance out in the end.
M- Very sweet up front with a buttery chocolately body and a creamy smooth, slightly hot alc. finish. This 1 starts off a little too sweet but mellows out half way through.

Overall- Lives up to the hype, thats for sure! Very tasty, this should be a year round release. Hopefully I'll attend 2009's DL day!
(Again, can't thank my buddy Patrick enough for, this and, all the other great beers he sent me!)

NJpadreFan, Aug 03, 2008
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Notes taken from my first tasting of a 2008 vintage Dark Lord (on May 3rd, 2008). As expected, the presentation was a 22 oz bomber with black wax drooled down from the cap along the glass walls and label of the bottle.

Awesome artwork and presentation - this looks like one scary/bad-ass beer!

A: Little to no head seen after an intentionally semi-aggressive pour. Just a trace amount of small brown suds rise through the swampy mess. Pours a black sludge as dark as a moon-less night - with dark brown coloring around the edges of my glass. When put up to the light, I get nothing - completely opaque... When I swirl it my tulip glass, small wave-shaped legs of oily brown slim appear to be climbing up the walls (to escape and eat my dog when I am sleeping?)!

S: Immense! There's so much going on here, I need to break it down by temperature and time in hand, so:

Freshly poured around 45 degrees: Dark chocolate, burnt malts, raw alcohol and rich expresso beans.

15 minutes after pour: Dark honey, molasses, and brown mixed with the above mentioned notes.

As detailed above - the nose really came out to play after it sat for a while...

T/M: Surprisingly, I thought it would have the thickness of Chunky's beef stew, but it was actually a tad bit lighter! Because this is such an amazingly rich and complex beer, it's going to be difficult to review. In fact, I'm certain in years to come my palate will develop more, I'll read this review and laugh, but in the meantime - here's my findings in the taste department...

In the first wave of attainable flavoring, I got an amazingly packed mixture of complex, sweet and unsweetened chocolates (Like Belgian truffle richness) mixed with anise and a variety of dark fruits like dried figs and plums.

In the middle, heavily roasted/burnt malts and grains pop up with a slightest tinge of alcohol in the mix provided the overall backbone of this beer. I enjoyed the raw alcohol that popped in and out from time to time, as well.

It finished a touch creamy while flavors of coffee and heavily roasted grains lingered in my mouth for a few minutes. This is a seriously thick, complex and rich beer. Who needs supper... Hungry? Snap into a Dark Lord!

PS - I'd like to formally thank my wife (+ 2.8 kids) for granting me the 3-day "hall-pass" to drive to Chicago-land with 3 of my close friends, have a blast at DLD while meeting and BS'ing with all kinds of great beer geeks like me. Now if I can only talk her into another roadtrip - an 11 hr drive to Darkness Day, hmmm :) :) :)

I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try/buy this infamous beer - in my opinion it's worth all the hype it gets - highly recommended.

beachbum1975, Aug 01, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

2008 bottle, consumed 10/12/08. Thanks to Brady (aka ThomasHardy on BA) for the bottle.

A black beer with no highlights when held to light. A two finger tan head forms in the glass and sticks around for quite some time, providing luxurious lacing.

Aroma is redolent of pitted fruits (plums, raisins, dates) and sweet, dark malt.

Mouthfeel is coating, thick and chewy with a slight edge of tingly carbonation.

Flavor is slightly sour, which balances the sweet plums and raisins on the palate. The flavor has a sharp peak early on and finishes with lingering coffee bitterness. Alcohol heat appears after the beer is swallowed.

A substantial beer of considerable merit, but I feel Avery's Mephistopholes does this extreme RIS style a touch better.
___
PREVIOUS REVIEW:
APPEARANCE - 4
SMELL - 2
TASTE - 2
MOUTHFEEL - 3.5
DRINKABILITY - 1.5
OVERALL GRADE - 2.5 (D+)

Consumed at the Rare Beer Meet'n Greet at The Bruery, Placentia CA on 07/26/08.

Pours a very dark brown/black with orangey highlights around the edges. Little carbonation. Slight bit of tan foam around edges of glass.

Unpleasant aroma of solvent.

Flavor is dark malt, soy sauce, alcohol and bitter orange peel. No, I don't mean that in a good way at all. Thick, oily mouthfeel.

I don't care for this at all, and RIS's are my favorite style, too. If I had paid for this bottle myself, I would have been quite upset at this beer's reputation versus the reality of its flavor.

charlzm, Jul 30, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Shared with friends as part of a KtG/DL blind tasting.

A-Pours a deep jet black with a thin brown head with a little lacing.

S-Licorice and roasted malts predominate. Also hints of coffee and chocolate with just a bit of alcohol.

T-Delicious, complex flavors. A bit sweet throughout but lots of interesting flavors also. Coffee, dark chocolate, molasses and dark fruit all come through. A bit of alcohol but well hidden for the ABV.

M-Very rich and thick with light carbonation. Nice.

D-Only if you are not driving. But if you are not driving, by all means have two.

Like Kate the Great, this really does live up to the hype. Can't wait to try another one in a few months.

HV

sholland119, Jul 24, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Wow! I've never been able to pick a "favorite" beer, but I finally found a clear winner.

A- Reading the bottle, I thought it might be a bit exhaggerated, but not at all! "...head that starts out billowing the color of burnt oil like the Dark Lord rising from the black primordial beginnings." Sounds dead-on. All it forgot is the viscocity of burnt oil as well.

S- Slightly sweet, very roasty, slightly spicy, hints of vanilla and cocoa.

T- Unbelievable! Molasses, dark fruits, vanilla, chocolate, caramel, a complex oaky flavor, and a little spice. Note the slight, but well-hidden, alcohol presence and you've got deliciousness.

M- Thick, rich, slight carbonation, very slight alcohol warmth.

D- For a beer that leaves a film instead of lacing on the glass, this is about as drinkable as its gonna get

JoeMayo, Jul 23, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Before breaking the seal on this bottle I bowed my head & said a silent thank you to hero27 for shipping this my way. I am in your debt, kind sir!

Shared with my RIS-loving wife on our vacation to the Whitefish Chain after the girls were sent to bed. Poured like engine sludge out of the bottle - a top-noth bottle for a sci-fi/fantasty geek like me, by the way - boasting a copious head with rampant bubbles. Smells like burnt cocoa &, unexpectedly, slightly fruitesque.

Smooth & creamy & delightful, with insane malts & dark, moody fruits, followed by a nice backdraft of alcohol burning rubber into my stomach. Despite the ABV & the extreme nature of the 'Lord, I think I could down several of these. Great beer that I'm happy to say lives up to the hype for this beer-sipper.

The only thing that would be better is if I could have attended DL Day & picked this baby up myself. Next year!

maximum12, Jul 22, 2008
4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

22 oz. Brown bomber with a "maker's mark"-like black wax seal that runs all the way down to the bottom of the bottle. Thanks to ThomasHardy for this beast! I put this one in a Chimay goblet.

Oozes out like oil, flat and pitch black. Eventhough it's very thick it still manges to make a wild, bubbling, darkest brown crown that is at least 2" high and falls pretty fast, ends up looking like black ink. Reminds me of the 31 year old courage IRS I had not that long ago.

Charred chocolate oats, musty, primordial earth, roastie mocha latte, figs, very ripe blackberries, port wine sweetness, kindling wood, caramel and peepery herbs. Very aromatic and pungent aroma!!

This one has a massive heady chocolate malt with insane depth...molasses, figs, port wine sweetness with added blackberries and cream! The wicked alcohol heat is woody, with cedar oak flavor's. Grains soaked in honey and dark berries later on. This is a massive malt bomb but there is balance of mellow but spicey hops. The flavor's are a bottomless pit of exploration possibilities. Sip and savor, roll it around on your palate to get the full effect.

This one feels as thick as a primordial black swamp, stagnant, volcanic swamp water!! Very sticky...this sucker get's everything sticky!!

Maybe not as well balanced as some, but damn the complexity and depth is overpowering. This one is pushing limits.

GratefulBeerGuy, Jul 19, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz Bomber

2008 Vintage
Black Wax

Yet another world class brew received from hoppymeal, thanks again Derek! Dark Lord's body is as black as the soul of the beast. Don't even think about any ray of light coming forth from the body. The mocha brown head was nothing but a swirling until I lifted the bottle about a foot from the glass and managed to coax up a one finger head that never moved. Each drink taken left behind thin sheet lacing stuck to the glass. This is one impressive looking stout.

The smell of this beer is gigantic and unfortunately seems to be a little cluttered. All the aromas would work well with one or two brethren but this beer sports so many robust smells that it overwhelms the nose. Actually as this beer steps closer to room temp things seem to smooth out. Honey, blackstrap molasses, brown sugar, and vanilla all come around at one time or another in that order of intensity. A tendril of smoked meats rises through the air. All of these aromas are over the top of a solid dark berry presence, blackberry first and foremost. This blackberry is then over the top of a big dense roasty maltiness. Hell there's even a slight vinous aroma flashing here and there.

The flavor follows the aroma very closely. There are some different points here and there but for the most part it's very similar. The components come together much better in the mouth then I figured they would from the aroma. The dark berriness comes through first in the flavor, over the top of the roastiness of course. Mid palate come all of those adjuncts I listed in the aroma. The order of intensity is a little different in the mouth then in the nose. Blackstrap molasses, dark brown sugar, honey and vanilla keep it coming. There is a massive load of hops in this brew as well. I can't pick out the hop flavors because of all the other dominating flavors but the bitterness is there without a doubt. This is a massively complex stout that walks the fine line between being a clusterfuck and being a greatly complex masterpiece. Luckily it leans toward the latter.

The mouthfeel is all at once thick, viscous, rich, warm, bold, and bitter. There's a slick oiliness to the body that leaves a film on the tongue and cheeks. For such a giant brew the alcohol is barely noticeable but for a little heat on the swallow. The oil slick left behind invades every nook and cranny causing the aftertaste to last forever.

This is a beer that demands to be sipped and savored. There is no other way it can possibly be done. The drinkability is hampered by this fact but it is enjoyable to drink none the less. I can't seem to get enough of the unfolding complexity.

Whether you think Dark Lord deserves the accolades it gets or not you must admit this is a hugely complex beer. It is big and bold and hard to touch in that department. Dark Lord is a huge beer that needs to be respected. I have to give a big "Thank you" to Derek for sending me a bottle of this since I couldn't make the release this year. Thanks Derek!

joe1510, Jul 17, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle of 2008 poured into my crystal snifter

A - Darkest beer I have probably ever seen. It is big and thick which I can tell even when I pour it in. It "gulgs" out thick and even makes a noise while pouring it out. It had really no head at all when I poured it out but only a cocoa colored foam that sat on top before fading away.

S - Has a big whiff of vanilla and caramel coming up. Also there is roasted chocolate and smokiness. Reminds me also a bit of a fudge brownies. Hints of oak and cinnamon.The nose was good but it was not impressive to me. Also a hint of alcohol as well that makes it a big nose.

T - Taste up front is sweet vanilla and caramel at first. It is a rich and decadent sweetness that matches well with the thick body of the beer. As the beer progress get darker and roasted flavors as well with even what I called a hint of cinnamon and oak. There is also sweet milk chocolate that comes up in the middle. As it progresses near the end, get some roasted dark chocolate, anise, and a hint of burnt malt. This roasted malt and burnt roasted coffee like flavors are what remains on the tongue as it the taste floats on. This is one taste that just lingers on forever and sits on the tongue. The aftertaste of some sips reminds me of a rich fudge brownie. Also has a bit of a warming quality near the end I have to say that on the whole this is one big beer that just punches you in the face when you first sip it. All of the flavors are there and balanced but all of them are in full force. I also have to say that there was absolutely no hint of the alcohol at all. I just really enjoyed this and thought it was an excellent beer.

MF - Big, thick and syrupy. Really thought this went well with the sweet taste profile in the beer. This is a mouthful and one rich beer that is big in the mouth. It is sticky and have to say one of the thickest and richest beer I have ever had.

D - despite this being such a big beer, it is rahter easy to drink. Additionally, I did not find myself tiring of the flavors. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had especially in terms of the flavor profile. Each sip makes me want have to have even more since each taste is unique and complex. A super good beer that seemed to live up to the hype to me. One of the few RIS's that I have had that I just could not put down at all.

jeonseh, Jul 17, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into my tulip glass. This was an '08 bottle, so it had been waiting to be opened for about 3 months from DLD.

This beer (obviously) poured out dark as hell. What little head was present was a very tightly formed group of nice brown bubbles. No light passes through this liquid, even when held up in the air to a light source. The only hint of light was at the very rim of the beer where the color changed to a dark brown instead of black. Not much lacing was left on the glass at all, in fact about zero lacing. However when swirling there was an oily residue that seemed to be left over along with what looked like sugar when you swirl wine in a glass.

Aroma was initially of chocolate, molasses and some coffee bitterness, along with some burnt notes as well. Alcohol, anise, hops & some lactic sweetness came through after some swirling around in my glass. Some of the alcohol aroma gives a slight burn to the nostrils when you really stick your nose down in the glass.

I couldn't even absorb the flavors I noticed at the first sip, I was too overwhelmed with the complexity, richness and deliciously full and smooth mouthfeel. The easiest taste to write about after one sip is the lingering toasted malts and bittersweet chocolates. Alcohol is only a fleeting note across the middle (not as boozy as I had expected from hearing others talk about the fresh '08 batch). Bitterness and richness are just dominating throughout. A very full and amazing beer.

I love this beer and its mouthfeel. It is amazingly full bodied & smooth, yet not overwhelming with the alcohol or any other characteristic.

Again, with that supposed booziness not being present as I had heard it would be, the drinkability on this one is very high considering the ABV. But it's a RIS, so the ABV should be high, can't fault it for that. I could sip on this beer all night long and wouldn't stop until suddenly that 13% caught up with me by surprise. Delicious, delicious beer.

abankovich, Jul 16, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

I've given Darklord 3 tries, and I keep coming up with the same notes, so hear goes my review:

After obtaining this directly at Darklord day, my expectations were high. I poured it directly into my Samichlaus goblet. It was motor oil pitch black. Thick and dark, with nice tan lacing.

Smells of burnt fruit, and metal. Chocolate and coffee thrown in there as well. A lot of smells going on, almost too many.

First taste is of metallic, bitter chocolate. You can really taste the burnt fruit. Not at all what I hoped for.

It was hard for me to finish this beer. Im not a huge fan of stouts, but there are so many others I prefer. Bourbon County Stout, Kentucky Breakfast I enjoy much more.

All in all, I'm a tad dissapointed. I tried a sample of the Vanilla Bean DL and it was awesome. This beer just seemed like a clusterfu*k of flavors, and it didn't work for me at all.

JToad, Jul 14, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

2006 Version go an A-.

A - Again, black as night, wonderful lace retention, mocha head, about .24-.5 inch. 4.0

S - Until my wife was so adamant about it, I got chocolate and coffee with some soy sauce. After her thoughts, I pick up the soy sauce more. LOTS of soy. Not a bad thing, just pretty prevalent. 4.0

T- Taste like melted mocha ice cream with soy sauce. 4.5

M - Like the taste, like melted fat on the tongue. Amazing. 4.5

D - Over the top, how much can you really have? 3.5
~~~
I gave the 2005 version an A+, but I don't have the original scores.
~~~
2007 Version scored here-
A - Pours thick and oily, .25 inch mocah head, leaves to ring. Thin small bubbled lacing with some cascading when glass is tilted.

S - Largest smell is cocoa and chocolate milk. A sherry or brandy booziness is mixed in.

T - Layers of flavors, with cocoa coming in strong, mingled with mocha and maybe a little anise.

M - The best part. Thick yet silky, complete and whole. Dominates the entire mouth. Fat.

D - If only... LOL. It's a sipper and kills the palate.

srandycarter, Jul 14, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

2008 vintage

Pours like used motor oil. Almost no head.

Smell is a powerful combination of chocolate, roasted malts, caramel, coffee, and some sweet dark fruit. I would drink this up my nose if I could, if that gives you any idea how good this smells.
Taste is as close to perfect that any liquid has been on my palate. Heavy doses of chocolate, coffee, and malt make ou wish this bottle would never end.
I must admit that this is the firs beer where feel is my favorite part. This is he thickest and chewiest beer I have ever had. All I could say after every sip was, "wow" and "damn".

I may not type much, but I do talk alot, and this beer shut me up. I don't believe any beer will change your life, but this could make people believe that beer is a gift from God.

Homerbag, Jul 07, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Enjoyed and reviewed as part of cburian's RIS showdown. Thanks for the chance to try some great brews!

Well, here it is, I though I would never get to try this beer.

Rich, brown-black, oily. This brew defines "used motor oil" as an appearance adjective. Swirling in the glass produces a visible discoloration residue in the glass.

Rich, dark fruit, tart, bitter nose.

Intense, dark fruits, molasses, nutty, sweetness and intensity. A flavor explosion. ABV is very well hidden at 13%.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, coating. Everything I ever wanted in an RIS.

Wow! I love this beer. An endless sipper. Truly awe-inspiring.

ghostwalker, Jul 04, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

This is my second to last bottle from DLD 2008. Traded three and drank one at a tasting. I shared this one with my best friend who loves coffee and thus loved this beer haha. Well worth it to share with my friend because I could never finish this one alone.

Pours a pitch black with a thick mocha head and nice lacing.

Smells of tons of coffee, roasted and burnt malts, chocolate, and a little bit of hops.

Chocolatey smooth, coffee richness. Burnt, roasted malts. Just a huge flavorful beer that for me is the definition of the style.

Absolutely the thickest, most rich mouthfeel I have had.

13% ABV is huge but its well hidden and this is just an amazing beer. I just don't think I could ever finish one of these by myself but I don't think thats a bad thing because its a fun beer to share.

thickerfreakness, Jun 29, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Everytime I've described a beer as looking like motor oil has been a lie. THIS is a beer that looks like motor oil. No head whatsoever. This beast is far too dense for a head. It has its own gravity and pulls any head into itself. The glass is absolutely stained yellow after drinking. Epic. Smell is hugely complex and awe-inspiring. Smells like the best coffee, the best brownie, brown sugar, and some dark fruits thrown in for good measure. I'm amazed that the taste actually meets and surpasses everything promised by the smell. Mouthfeel is massively thick. After swallowing, it's like my entire digestive system up to and including my stomach is coated with this stuff. Normally, with such a huge beer, I'm a bit more conservative with dropping a 5, but I would have this anytime I can.

atrus138, Jun 14, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Here it is. Dark Lord. Let's see what all the talk is about.

True story. I had high expectations for this beer. It was a sunny day, I called in sick to work. Did some yard work. Listened to some Mudhoney, QOTSA, Mermen, Tom Waits & BBQed steaks for my wife & I. Then I had this. I'd say it was worth it.

2007 version. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Black. Expresso colored small head that dissipates into almost nothing. Looks like an expresso. Left a slight thin haze all over the sides of the glass. Like soup film.

S - Booze. Expected dark fruit. Raisin, plum, prune. Some smoke, chocolate, coffee as well.

T - Sweet plum & raisin. Tobacco, smoke, wood. This brew brings the heavy. For the style it's fantastic. Very complex. I think there's stuff in there going on I can't even identify.

M - Exceptionally smooth. No carbonation whatsoever. Like a stout concentrate that is made to be watered down to make several bottles.

D - For how big this beer is....it's quite drinkable.

Well I really enjoyed this beer. It was quite the treat. This beer is HUGE. Would I pay the price if it was readily available? Probably not often. But it is really good.

bbothen, Jun 11, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

2007 edition, silver wax capped bottle, obtained in a trade with jw347. Huge thanks!

Appearance: extremely deep opaque brown results in functionally black. Initially a medium brown, moderately dense head, that ends up as zero, and no lacing.

Aroma: dark roasty boozy creosote, with stonefruit and deep richness.

Taste: again, dark plummy and prune, roast, fairly intense burnt and creosote, some tar, some tangy sweetness. Quite slick and sweet.

Mouth: thick and slick and full, a little syrupy.

Overall: Extremely drinkable for the ABV and fullness. Delicious, very tasty, very full, something I'll drink again and again. But worth all the extraordinary hype? Not sure about that.

warmstorage, Jun 10, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Purchased 2008 Dark Lord from local beer store from "back room". Opened for 30th bday.

A - Yeah just like it said: dark as dark. Not sure if it would be possible to be darker than Goose Island Bourbon County Stout but, yeah.

S - What's the deal? Nothing. I thought maybe it was too fresh? Let it sit out for about 20 minutes and started to open up, but nothing mind blowing.

T - Same thing as smell, took some time for flavor to come but when it did still very light vanilla, coffee. More sweet than bitter.

M - This is the category I will give this beer all the credit. For being an Imperial Stout at this alcohol level, it was amazingly smooth. Pretty thick with amazing balance of carbonation, alcohol.

D - A very easy drink for an imperial stout. With the alc. level being what it is, you could be a one and done very quick. I have to say on a side note that although this was a very well balanced imp. stout, I think the hype around this is what carries this beer to its reputation. I may have had a bad bottle but this was not as complex as other imp. stouts nor do I believe this is even Three Floyds best beer.
It was great to drink one and be part of the hype, but I don't think, for the price, I would ever buy another.

inhoc00, Jun 09, 2008