Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
John_M

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

It's a good thing "subtlety" and "complexity" aren't categories, or this beer would score close to a zero. However, that's not what this beer is all about; power and a tidal wave of flavor is what this beer is about.

The beer pours a black brown color, looking more like used motor oil then any beer I've ever seen. Just looking at this beer you know you are in the presence of something pretty special. The beer looks thick and viscous. There is almost no head on this beer, but the lacing is otherworldly. What foam there is clings to the side of the glass.

The aroma of this beer is probably it's least impressive attribute, but of course even here it's pretty outstanding. The aroma is very one dimensional, blasting the nose with odors of vanilla, coffee, wine and nuances of oak. Fabulous stuff.

On the palate... what can one say. The beer is incredibly rich, full bodied and long. It has a satin, fluffy sort of mouthfeel, with incredible plush smoothness. The beer is just luscious. The mouthfeel on this beer is comparable only to Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout in terms of richness, plushness, and soft smoothness, but I would give my nod to the Dark Lord. Simply amazing.

Yes, this beer is not the most drinkable beer I've ever tasted, but it's not meant for that. This is the perfect bottle of stout to crack open and sip with some friends. The finish just lasts and lasts, and every sip is a joy. Believe the hype, this beer is a masterpiece.

Note: Recently had the chance to try a vertical of the DL, from 2007 through 2011. I had always assumed that this beer would be pretty age worthy, but based on the vertical, my thought is now, "not so much." The 2007 tasted a bit oxidized, with something of a copper or metallic taste. The 2008 was better, but it still had some sort of different, slightly off taste I thought (though it was still excellent). The 2009 was outstanding, and the 2011 seemed to be the best of bunch (with some nice chocolate and cinnamon flavor). The 2010 was good, but seemed a bit hot and boozy. It was better than the 2007 and 2008 I thought, but not as good as the 2009 and 2011.

A very interesting, tasting experience, to say the least...

05-31-2007 04:02:40 | More by John_M
dren

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours like motor oil. Smells of cherry, a little chocolate, coffee notes. Tastes the same, very strong sweet cherry flavors but they melt well with the chocolate backdrops. A slight smoked coffee flavor after the rush of cherry and then some bourbon and oak. The flavor is very robust with a long pleasing aftertaste. It's like I'm eating a rich chocolate cake. A very full boddied beer, and I'd say the most full boddied I have had. While this beer was extremely good tasting it was hard to drink because of the weight. I hate to say this but I would rather have a half pint of the stuff for dessert. Finishing an entire bottle would be a chore. I am glad I wasn't the one waiting in line for this brew. It's good but not worth the wait unless you are completely obsessed with stouts, which I am not. The beer does hold up to its expectations as far as tastes go.

05-29-2007 12:58:35 | More by dren
MrMcGibblets

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

super dark in the glass with a ridiculously dark brown head and lacing, just looks super thick. complex and powerful bouquet of molasses, rum, raisins, toffee, caramel, honey, chocolate, and coffee, with citric hops struggling through. taste is sweet and thick. carbonation fights in vain, as this is as muddy as unchanged motor oil on a yugo. huge mouthfeel. this is a gigantic beer. left sick stains on the glass. finish goes on and on. for the record, there was no sludge in my bottle. just a thick ass beer. not a session beer, but a sipper, obviously.

update: have had several from different vintages, also on-tap. this definitely improves with age, i would say they need at least 6-12 months of cellaring before drinking. raw boozy fruit diminishes over time, allowing other big flavors to intermingle and show.
march '10: '07 the best to date.
oct '10: '08, '09, '10 side by side. '08 clearly the best, complex, multifaceted, long finish, no off flavors whatsoever from age, also happened to have the most carbonation and best head of the three. '09 clearly the worst-a sweet mess, not alot going on, undercarbonated, some worcestershire/soy. '10 pretty good, seemed a bit raw and young but should improve.

05-29-2007 03:23:13 | More by MrMcGibblets
Zorro

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Obtained in a trade with hero27.

A beer that is said to be superior to Stone IRS but one that never seems to show up to be compared with the stone offering.

As I prepare to open this bottle I cant help but feel like a James Bond Supervillain who has finally cornered James Bond. My six henchmen three Stone Imperial Russian Stouts and three Stone Old Guardians are pretty sure this sucker is over rated.

The three year chase is over and now the time for its test is at hand!

In the glass this is an inky black beer impervious to light with a thin but dark brown head. A very nice try to create a black head on a beer but no one has yet achieved that.

From the moment that the cap is cracked there is a wonderful boozy and fruity aroma from this beer, so far this beer hasn't had a weakness. Sweet smelling with the aroma of prunes and figs with little berry aroma. Lesser scents of chocolate and patent malt robustness. Different from the Stone version and more like DFH WWS. The boozy scent is faintly of bourbon mostly vanilla, whiskey and oak.

The flavor begins sweet and highly roasted with a berry after taste and a lingering burn from the alcohol. The flavor here is very complex, chocolate, berries, char, vanilla, ash, and that is about all I can name at the moment.

Mouthfeel is about like drinking whole cream, probably closer to 6 than a 5 on the scale.

Quite the strong ale indeed. I can't say that this is overrated but I would compare this MUCH more to DFH WWS rather than Stone IRS. The only real weakness with this RIS is in the drinkability department. An intense brew this would be better from 6 ounce bottles and sampled sparingly; the same as DFH WWS should be.

05-29-2007 02:32:59 | More by Zorro
kajerm

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

2007 bottle, I've been waiting a while for this one...

Pours like castor oil, by far the most viscous beer I've ever seen in my life, and in spite of having an almost nonexistent brown head, it leaves film and lacing all over the walls of the glass.

The aroma is awesome-- balanced and complexed as hell. Mixed dark malts, molasses, black patent, coffee (and GOOD coffee), vanilla, and a little chocolate. Pretty much everything I liked in the Oak-Aged Dark Lord, minus the bourbon and oak. The smell is rich and hangs around forever. And maybe I'm nuts, but I can't smell alcohol at all.

Opens up with subdued malty sweetness, with strong coffee flavors appearing mid-to-late-palate. Shit, I really need to get me some Intelligentsia coffee. Like now. Molasses background is present but not overwhelming. Dark chocolate shows up late-palate, and blends with the coffee and black patent malt into an awesome mocha flavor that lingers for at least a year. I keep looking for the 13%ABV that's supposed to be in here, but I can't even make shit up about it-- I just can't taste it. After more drinking, I can feel the warmth in my chest, so I know Nick Floyd didn't lowball me, this beer is just THAT balanced-- totally contrary to everything I've heard about previous years.

This beer kicks ass.

Mouthfeel is heavy and oily. Actually, that's a huge understatement-- the mouthfeel is like a barrel of crude, which is fitting since this stuff is e-baying for about the same price.

I guess I have to rate drinkability, but that seems a little unfair-- you can't even buy this stuff, let alone drink it. That said, you can't really drink more than a glass or two of it either. Lack of obvious alcohol helps it out a little bit, though.

But man oh man, will that be a good glass.

NOTE: People have been pissing and moaning a lot about the large amount of sludge in the bottle. I'd say that there's about 2oz. of sediment in a 22oz. bottle (at least there was in this one); not a ton, but it's worth decanting.

05-25-2007 20:04:10 | More by kajerm
shivtim

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

First of the '07 batch, opened to celebrate beer, life, and masters degrees. Thanks to Janice and aforbes10. Probably not quite ready yet, but hey, I can always re-review it after it's had the proper aging.
Pours out a super opaque black with dark brown fringes. Sludgy, syrupy, chunky. Dark brown head looks nice but fades quickly. The lacing has chunks in it. This is some serious beer. Nose is sweet strong malts and alcohol, with campfire and coffee. Complex and nice. Taste is sweet sugarcane smoked malts, oak, plums, vanilla, and spicy bourbon. Alcohol is very well hidden. Exceptional.
Mouthfeel is good. Certainly way above average, but probably the weak point of the beer. Doesn't taste as thick as it looks. Drinkability is surprisingly and dangerously high.

I can't wait to try this again in 7 months or so.

*EDIT*
I've now had a few different batches of Dark Lord over the years. The 2007 (silver) batch tasted in late 2008 (about 16 months of bottle conditioning) was the single best beer I've ever had. I also had the 2007 more recently (2013) and it was pretty muddled and not nearly as good. Some of the newer batches, like 2012, don't seem quite as good to me. That being said, every time I've ever had Dark Lord it was exceptional - if a one-year old 2007 is the pinnacle of beer, a 2012 is still in the top 5% of beers.

05-24-2007 03:05:22 | More by shivtim
montageman

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Purchased at DLD '07. Poured into a tulip.

A: Motor oil thick. Black as night with a nice tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing. The most interesting part visually, though, is the carbonation. After the initial pour, it looks as though there will be little to no carbonation. All of the sudden, tiny bubbles burst forth, which is totally cool.

S: I was expecting a more assertive nose on this beer. It's nice, but quite mild. Chocolate, raisins, and coffee. Nothing tremendous, though.

T: Very fruity - grapes, raisins, similar to a good red wine. There is a segue into the coffee/dark chocolate and the ending is dry and sugary, Very complex & quite nice.

M: Absolutely luscious. Coats the tongue. Creamy, perfectly carbonated.

D: Wow, this is rich. Almost too much - almost. No doubt this is an excellent beer and great take on the RIS style. However, it is certainly not the best beer I've ever had.

I believe that the aura around Dark Lord means more than the beer itself. So the beer isn't the best ever, oh well, Dark Lord Day was a lot of fun and I wouldn't trade that experience for any amount of whatever the best beer may be.

Highest recommendation, especially if you can make it to Dark Lord Day.

05-23-2007 23:33:08 | More by montageman
shroompod

4.58/5  rDev +7%

2nd out of a sixer picked up @ DLD 07.

Poured into goblet. Small tan head. No light escapes when held to light.

Smell of hops , faint dark roasted coffee. Some alcohol.

The beer has the RIS style amplified. Plenty off bittering hops , dark sweet malt, and bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thick, the hops help it dry out somewhat.

Drinkability suffer a bit from the high ABV , thickness and complexity.

Overall and interesting RIS , maybe not my favorite, but worth seeking out.

05-20-2007 01:31:00 | More by shroompod
aforbes10

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Well, here goes.

2007 bottle obtained at Dark Lord day by Janice (not a BA), sold to shivtim and shared by him with me and and a couple of other people. Pours black with a head that vanishes quickly, and a little disappointingly. laces like black olive oil and lacing actually has little granules of something (yeast? ground up coffee?) in it. Smells like brandy, soy sauce, cherries, some yeast, hot chocolate. Quite complex and more fruity than anything else. Taste is just what i look for in a RIS. A complex mish-mash of flavors. Molten chocolate covered cherries, other dark berries, truffles, brandy, bourbon, vanilla. Finish has an alcohol warming and a slight coffee roastiness that's quite well blended. Excellent. Mouthfeel is thick, as advertised. I could drink this all the time but i can't for many many reasons. Yeah, its a freaking great beer, no joke.

05-18-2007 14:12:25 | More by aforbes10
Duster72

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

2007 bottle on the young side.

Pours like dirty motor oil with a one finger tan/orange head. Swirling the glass gives elegant sheeting that is very pleasing. Aroma is sweet malts and alcohol. Tons of alcohol. Taste is primarily cocoa and black cherry. Lots of malts and lots of alcohol. Mouthfeel is thick. Not the most drinkable thing in the world. I would be very satisfied with a 6oz serving. Luckily I had a friend to split the bottle. None of the rumored sludge in the bottle unless it just had not settled. Will re-rate this winter.

05-14-2007 23:19:20 | More by Duster72
MillRat

4.28/5  rDev 0%

This is somewhere between a stunning imperial stout and a publicity stunt gone awry. The beer itself (2007 vintage in a 22 oz. bomber) is as impressive and RIS as I've ever had, with all the 10-weight oil thickness and head that can float a Buick. The flavor is darkly sweet and somewhat fruity, balanced more by the roasted grains than any hops bitterness. I knocked down the drinkablity not so much because of the beer itself (I expect a super-RIS to be quickly sating) but because of the decision to package this beer in 22 oz. bombers. About halfway through the 22 oz., finishing the bottle becomes more tiring than pleasurable. A 12 oz. bottle would be a far more appropriate serving size.

05-14-2007 01:56:52 | More by MillRat
TurdFurgison

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

This is the first Dark Lord I opened from my 2007 Dark Lord Day stash. I poured it into pint glasses, the beer's appearance rates a perfect score. Pitch black color with a massive but short-lived tan head. When I swirled the glass the head turned orange, and coated the glass with dark orange sheets.

The aroma was strong imperial stout, really similar to some strong ones from Michigan (Bells Batch 7000 or Founders Imperial Stout). Mostly I could smell the sweet malts and alcohol, I really didn't detect the cherries, molasses, or plums promised on the bottle. The flavor was STRONG, burnt malt and some chocolate along with burning alcohol, very similar to Batch 7000 in my opinion. The mouthfeel was really thick and is the defining attribute for this beer imo. It coats your mouth and keeps you tasting the beer long after each sip.

Not the best beer in the nation in my opinion, but one of the best russian imperial stouts I've tried. I was disappointed not to find any sludge at the bottom of the bottle, other people have complained about it and I wanted to try it on some ice cream.

Someone was cool enough to share a bottle of 2006 Dark Lord at the brewpub on DLD, and my impression is that 2007 is much richer and stronger flavored. But, I was drunk when I tried the 2006...

05-13-2007 20:31:29 | More by TurdFurgison
bradford

Thanks a million to mynie for this trade
Tasted on 5/11 with three friends and neighbors
Well I finally found my perfect 5. This beer was incredible, and I thought it lived up to all the hype surrounding it. I have been reading that the 07 has too much sediment and you don't get a full beer, but my bottle was perfectly fine. This stuff is so viscous it is nuts. I wanted to really savor the bottle, but everyone wanted another sip right away so the glass only lasted about 15 minutes. Amazing. My roommate and I giggled like little girls the whole time we were drinking.

Awesome beer

05-13-2007 15:16:38 | More by bradford
fightingirishcmk

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

I went to DL day 2007 and bought my bottles. This is the first one I've tried. It also happens to be the day that I am completely finished with my undergraduate career.

That said, I poured it into a 23oz pilsner glass (not recommended) in order to celebrate finishing school. Pours like used motor oil, syrupy, deep brown/black. The head that forms was quite small, brown in color, and lasted for awhile.

What an aroma. The smell of fruit, cherryish, along with coffee and malt smell combine for one the most complex yet enjoyable aromas I have sampled.

Tastes just as good. The RIS qualities shine through, with other flavors of vanilla, cherry, and other fruits, as well as coffee, and chocolate. I could find so many other tastes in this.... but we don't have all day.

Feels fairly good in the mouth. Very thick, good amount of carbonation. Warming aftertaste, but not too warm.

Drinkability is OK. I had a lot of trouble finishing this bomber. It was so thick. yet tasty. Don't try this on your own. Get some friends together, and pour 5 oz samples.

As for the hype... this is the most unique beer I've had. Completely different from Stone RIS or Bell's expidition or victory king. There is something here that can't be described in these terms. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance. Is it worth $15 a bottle though? Now thats a tough decision.

05-11-2007 21:08:01 | More by fightingirishcmk
Monsone

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with silver wax obtained at 2007 DL day. Shared with two of my buddies. Pours out pitch black like burnt motor oil. Man this stuff is thick. Forms a head that is thick and brown.

Smells of coffee, alcohol, sweet malt, and dark fruits.

Taste...WOW!.. Big sweet roasted/burnt malt. Dark fruit and alcohol mix and finished with bitter coffee. So big and complex, but so well balanced.

Overall... This is one amazing RIS. This beer is great and almost lives up to the hype (which is pretty damn good considering). Definately a beer to try if you can get your hands on one. I think the others I bought at DLD will age very nicely.

Mouthfeel is huge full bodied. Creamy and thick. Very nice.

Drinkability takes a hit from the pain it is to get this beer. Also I don't think this a beer that you finish a bomber yourself. The big alcohol makes this a sharing beer. Also $15 a bomber makes it pricey.

05-11-2007 20:50:48 | More by Monsone
ArrogantB

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

2005 bottle split with a couple friends. Initial smell from the bottle was very good. Appearance was dark black with a small tan head that faded fast. There really was not one distinct flavor that I could pick out. The flavors really seemed melded together. The mouth-feel was viscous, sticky, and thick. The alcohol was completely hidden, maybe the aging helped. Overall, this is a really good beer but don't get caught up in the hype.

05-07-2007 15:52:03 | More by ArrogantB
TheodorHerzl

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Drank last night from the '07 stock.

A: Pours like motor oil, but somehow blacker and thicker. A nice small brown head that left a ring around the glass. It leaves a film coating over every inch of the glass that it touches.

S: Heavy plum scent with a coffee and alcohol smell when you really get your nose in it.

T: Cherry and port wine is my first thought on flavor. As it warmed a bit more I got more and more chocolate and hints of coffee.

M: Coats your entire mouth and leaves a great aftertaste. I could still really taste it 30 mins after I was done with the beer.

D: There was so much going on with this beer it was like a tastebud workout drinking the whole thing.

I got my limit on DL day and I think those will last me until DL Day 08. Overall I think it lives up to the hype, and it's a really amazing beer.

05-06-2007 23:53:33 | More by TheodorHerzl
greenbeaner

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Oh my God...Here it is...The Darklord has finally arrived!! From DL day 07' Here it goes...Pours the absolute darkest of any beer I've seen...It is beyond black. And I can already see the it's thickness. Huge dark head, three fingers, with amazing retention...Lovely puffy lace that sticks permanantly to the side of the glass. After a few sips it becomes evident that there is a thin layer of film coating the side of the glass. Beautiful...

Smells of sweet malt, burnt chocolate and there is a strong scent of a fruit I cannot completely put my finger on. Very powerful, possibly plum with a hint of cherry background.

Tastes incredible...Roasted sweet malt up front, plum, cherries, wine flavors, slight cherry...Almost no hop flavor other than in support of all the others in the mix. Great balance and complexity..Finishes with a burnt caramel coffee flavor.

One hefty ass feel in the mouth...Motor oil, cream, espresso...Thick, warm, sticky...but, it's not thick to the point of foaming creaminess in the mouth, and it's not overly syrupy. Very nice consistancy.

I gave this wonderful beer it's lowest rating in drinkability for a number of reasons. Only being available once a year, and yes...it's high price, on one side...High alcohol content, and the fact that it's extremely complex and very rich as the other. It is an excellent beer, but it's definitely a sipper...You've just gotta be prepared for it!!!!

05-06-2007 06:55:15 | More by greenbeaner
BeerBelcher

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer is an outstanding Imperial Stout: inky black, intensely aromatic, slightly sweet, and tremendously viscous-feeling in your mouth. I thought it might be dry roasted "burned pizza crust tasting" like Alesmith Speedway Stout, but this is good in a completely different kind of way.

The beer pours a very thick, pure stream of blackness topped with a small and very dark tan head. Aroma is some bourbon-ness, a fair amount of coffee, some sweet alcohol esters, and a hint of cherry. Flavor is exceedingly smooth, and it subtley builds to a very full yet not overwhelming coffee-ness. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and viscous, like delicious motor oil.

05-05-2007 03:56:53 | More by BeerBelcher
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

I owe a great thanks to Nchrist13, Nick, for bringing me this bottle from Dark Lord Day 2006. I kept this beer in my fridge for one year and cracked it on Dark Lord Day 2007 in honor of the event.

Appearance is as described on the bottle. Engine oil body with a fomenting carbonation that creates a brown, bubbly head rising from the depths. Lacing is minimal but each swoosh of the glass reinvigorates the head. It persists beautifully for the duration.

Complicated aroma. Lots of molasses and candied dark fruit, coffee, chocolate, boozy cherries, plums, currants, caramel and vanilla.

Equally complicated flavor. Lots of molasses. Very sweet but balanced by those lovely FFF hops. Tons of fruit. Vinous and diverse with most every dark/black fruit one can think of and hints of the tropics. Some Belgian tropical/fruity/yeasty booziness. Cappuccino and French vanilla. Pine resin in the finish.

Warming on the throat but not burning. Mysterious mouthfeel. Sweet and smooth then bitter and harsh. Warm and comfy then intense and challenging. Molten. Public Enemy are liars. Believe the hype

05-01-2007 16:18:31 | More by DaPeculierDane
GbVDave

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

2007 version.

A: Pours with the consistency of junkyard engine motor oil or incredibly thick cough syrup. The cascading head has to be seen to be believed. Shockingly pitch black with a small and creamy head that looks like the color of espresso crema with rust sprinkled on top of it.

S: Huge sweet nose of rum soaked raisins, plums, and blackberry preserves. Also noted were cherry, vanilla, a touch of bitter coffee, and a slight undercurrent of alcohol.

T: Tart cherry and chocolate strike me right off the bat. Then comes the huge dark fruit sweetness. Bitter espresso appears briefly at the finish along with some bitter sweet chocolate.

M: This baby is so thick and rich, it coats everything in the mouth (lips, teeth, tongue, everything!) like latex paint.

D: So incredibly complex, this is definitely not a beer to be trifled with. The alcohol is very well hidden but by the end of half of the bottle you are already looking for a place to lay down and by the end of the whole bottle, you're lucky if you can even find out what the hell happened to your pants. Yeah, it's that good.

04-30-2007 04:51:46 | More by GbVDave
Wasatch

Utah

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks goes out to hero27 for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Silver Top
2007 Vintage

Poured into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale tulip a thick clean/clear black color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet thick/oily slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, vanilla, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Full body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Not too much difference in the vintages. Thanks again Eric.

Thanks goes out to CRJMellor for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Gold Top
2006 Vintage

Poured into a chalice a thick clean/clear black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Medium body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Thanks again Craig.

04-21-2007 00:32:53 | More by Wasatch
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Bottle courtesy of Tpaliga (2006 vintage drank in April 2007): Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small foamy head with average retention. Aroma of honey and sweet malt is overwhelming and somewhat interesting. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some alcohol hint. Body is full and has a creamy and oily texture like I have never seen or tasted before. Low carbonation is to be expected but the alcohol really comes out and I didn’t enjoy this part. Some subtle vanilla and roasted malt were noticeable but were for most part covered by sweetness which kind of got gross after half a glass. This beer kind of reminded me of Avery Meph with the dominating sweetness and alcohol. I’m glad that I finally had the chance to try this highly coveted beer even thought I am not the biggest IS fanatic out there but unfortunately I wasn’t fond of it in the end.

04-17-2007 15:31:45 | More by Phyl21ca
WeisGuy

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Big thanks to the venerable trader that is afatty for this bottle, 2006 vintage.

a - pours thick and black as motor oil, one-finger brown head with little retention and lacing, a look that just screams big stout

s - big aroma of dark fruits, lots of plum, black cherry, raisin, some bittersweet chocolate and hints of dark roasted coffee, definite alcohol presence

t - starts out a bit sweet with lots of dark fruits, plum is predominant, body has a lot of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, finish has more dark fruitiness, slight hoppiness, alcohol notes, and a lingering taste of bittersweet chocolate and coffee, divine!

m - full-bodied, just the right amount of mild carbonation for a big stout, moderate sweetness mitigates the dryness of the finish

d - for a huge stout, this is quite drinkable, palate isn't destroyed at all after a bomber, if this wasn't so damn hard to get, I could sip on this all night

Call it hype or whatever you want, this is one damn fine beer...one of the very best I've tried. It lived up to all the hype for me. Well worth seeking out, regardless of what it takes.

04-15-2007 02:36:10 | More by WeisGuy
alohaC

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

2006 bottle. Ah, the venerable Dark Lord. Glugs out of the bottle with the darkness and viscosity of motor oil that hasn’t been changed in 30k miles. An inch high whipped mocha head rises to the surface and sets up in the glass, clinging to it with an oily, almost bacon greasy ring. Damn, this is some crazy looking stuff. Aroma isn’t over the top, but I’m definitely picking up some big roasty malts, bittersweet chocolate and molasses . The coffee seems to hit more in the taste, along with some caramelized raisins, vanilla and rich maple syrup/molasses. There’s definitely a lot going on here. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and full bodied without next to zero hotness. An impressive stout for sure. Does it live up to the hype? Partially. But I think you can pick up some other impy stouts with 90% of the quality/characteristics of this one for far less $ and difficulty. Nevertheless, the Dark Lord is worthy of at least a pedestal next to the throne.

04-06-2007 06:55:07 | More by alohaC