Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +7%

This was from a 2007 bottle.

Poured super black with just a hint of tan head.

Has a big huge strong smell, slightly sweet with hints of raisin and a strong bourbon and oak barrel smell, some nice bitter black burnt malts poking through as well.

The flavor is incredibly complex, its start sweet with hints of dark fruit, vanilla, bourbon, and caramel, the strong smokey burnt bitterness eventually takes over leading to a suprisingly balanced yet almost overwhelmingly complex beer.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a long lasting oily coating.

Goes down pretty well for being such a huge beer. Does a pretty good job living up to the hype.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Recieved a bottle of this as a gift from someone who attended DLD08. A big thanks, you know who you are. Zdester and I cracked this last night as I couldn't wait any longer to see what the hype was.

For one, the bottle is pretty badass, and the wax top was alot easier to open than I had previously imagined, it opened easily with a church key. I took a sniff from the open bottle and the scent was really interesting.

Poured a deep dark black, that looked like molasses in the light. A bit less than a finger of head. The head was outstanding in color, as the outer rim was a burnt light brown in color while the inside was a much lighter, tanner color, with a few spots of red. Prettiest beer I've ever seen.

Smelled pretty awesome, a wide variety of things, nut, burnt wood, smoke, dark chocolate. The bottle says " burnt fruit ", and I detected what smelled like burnt bananas. You can definately smell the alcohol.

Tasted like nut, dark chocolate, bananas, raisins, smoke, hop, and oak. Alcohol isn't as detectable as I thought it would be. The flavor varies quite a bit from sip to sip, which gives this beer an outstanding charachter.

Mouthfeel was thick, syrupy, and very very heavy. Feel goes very well with the flavor and the carbonation is right on the mark.

Drinkability is good. It's a bit to rich and high in ABV to drink alot of, but I'd definately like to get a few more of these to cellar and drink over time. Worth the hype? A bit overhyped but a damn good beer.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

2008 Dark Lord; black wax. 100th review.

Poured into an English pint glass. The color reminds me of used motor oil, no light getting through this beverage. Brown, razor-thin head with a nice amount of oily lacing.

Smells of prunes, raisins, burnt espresso roast as well as some wood and a certain earthiness. Add some soy sauce and booze to the smell too.

Taste is burnt coffee beans, marshmellow, & wood; surpisingly creamy. The alcohol certainly appears near the end which forces the drinker to sip with care. Overall mouthfeel is creamy on the front but leaves the mouth tart and the throat warm from the booze.

An outstanding beer that improved with each sip. As mentioned above it is a sipper and would be a nice dessert beer. Not my favorite style but certainly enjoyed and would love to have again. Recommended but not sure it's worth standing around for nine hours.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

'07 Vintage poured into a snifter

Huge thanks to Craig(brewdlyhooked13) for this bottle. Long story made quick: Founders BS hits shelves, Craig narrowly misses out, I offer up one of my 4packs for cost or dollar trade, He says, "Well, I have this Dark Lord that cost me $15", I thank him lots. Properly cellared on both ends.

A: Pours pitch black and thicker than shit. Very low carbonation. I started pouring roughly halfway through to try and get a better head.. I ended up with 1/2" that faded decently fast. Nearly no lacing.

S: Even smells thick. Deeply roasted and burnt malts. Harsh old bitter coffee grounds. A slight smoky character in the back.

T/M: Very thick. Carbonation has nearly completely fled the scene. Hops have mellowed though a faint bitterness remains. More of that very strong bitter coffee(grounds). There are some pleasant dark fruits spread throughout the drink. Alcohol is still assertively present and lends a light bit of sting with plenty of warmth. The deeply roasted/burnt malts are complimented by a super sweet syrupy side. Body if fuller than full. Carbonation is basically not there making this feel nothing like beer.

D: Very slow sipper, obviously. The carbonation was the biggest disappointment, though I'm not sure if a fresher sample will bring it up to KtG standards. Great, nonetheless and I'll be having a very fresh bottle within the month.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Had the '07 version on tap at Three Floyds Dark Lord Day 2008.

A: Opaque dark black. Oily sheen. No head, just a rim of brown bubbles around the glass where a head would be. An oily looking film left on the cup.

S: Very sweet. Malt, coffee, dark fruits and chocolate.

T: Super sweet. Earthy. Chocolate, coffee and dark fruits. A definite alcohol presence.

M: The thickest beer I've ever had. Oily and velvety feel coats the mouth and tongue.

D: An awesome beer. Would be even better sipping it out of a snifter rather then the plastic cup it was served in at Dark Lord Day.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to abankovich for a trade that moved this great brew from the Midwest to the wastelands of eastern Washington. I shared a bottle with my local bear buddy, imacoug. We poured it from a capped and waxed bottle into chalices.

A: It had a black as night and thick inky body. The head rose from an aggressive pour to one and a half fingers of chocolate. There were chunks of sediment that plopped into the glass as the beer was poured. The head retained well before finally receding to an even thin cover over the top of the liquid. There was a nice leggy lacing that clung to the side of the glass much longer than I expected for such a high ABV brew.

S: It emitted a milk chocolate front with burnt malts and a coffee back. The chocolates included bitter dark and the coffee aroma was a mix of expresso and latte. There were several hints of dark fruits but they were hard to differentiate due to the powerful chocolate and coffee aromas.

T: It hits with a bitter chocolate espresso profile that is well balanced and hides the massive alcohol well. I expected it to finish cleaner but the bitter lingering flavor was not unpleasant. The chocolate was a subtle blending of milk and bitter and the coffee tasted burnt and robust.

M: IT was silky smooth and full bodied with almost a chewy texture. There was an initial burst of carbonation that played out and the finish was warming. However, there was a bitter aftertaste that was distracting but not overwhelming.

D: It is a powerfully wonderful beer but one that is so full bodied, rich and with a massive ABV that one bottle may tap me out (two at most) for a session. I could have mini sessions with this brew frequently.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

I'd been saving this one ('07) to try, and it's interesting that I'd just read all the recent Dark Lord Day threads. My take:

Appearance is a deep, dark brown, with minimal tan head. Smells of molasses, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and tastes of all the above with molasses sticking out above the crowd. A sweeter flavor than most other stouts; as it warmed up, I felt like the sweetness started to detract from it and after one glass, I didn't want another. I just tried Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout a couple weeks back, and it is very very similar to Dark Lord.

Carbonation is just about right, and the richness of all the flavors forces you to sip this one slowly.

Bottom line is that this is a first rate beer, and well worth getting ahold of if you can, but don't kill yourself trying to get it. There are some others out there that are on a par with it: Bourbon County, Abyss, Yeti, Founders Kentucky Breakfast.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

I found this beer to have a chocolate espresso taste, good color and smell and a nice head. I split this bottle with others who had similiar thoughts. I dont think I would or could drink a whole bottle of this ber, just a bit too heavy for me and will sit in stomach preventing me from drinking more beers. Overall it was a very nice treat to have drank this Russian imperial stout.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

A - Pours thick and very dark. No light is able to come through at all. Ended up with a nice medium brown head tht showed great retention. The resulting lace was impressive. This is an attractive beer overall.

S - The aroma is much lighter than expected. It starts out with a some chocolate and quickly turns to some nice roasty toasty aromas. The smell finishes with a combonation of latte and alcohol.

T - Dark malt flavors are all over the place in this one. It starts out roasty. Then some smoke and wood pops up. The chocolate flavor is strong and bittersweet in nature. The amount of dark bitter fruit in the flavor was stronger than most stouts. Mostly resembles cherries or raspberries. The flavor finishes up with some coffee that sits in the background. The alcohol is present but other flavors are so strong that is stays hidden well.

M - Full bodied with great carbonation. The finish is bitter and sticks around for a long, long time. Smooth as silk given the "big" nature of the beer.

D - Drinkability is very good. The high abv puts this one in the category of a sipping beer. Overall the Dark Lord is complex and smooth. Even though the aroma was lacking, all other aspects of this beer are stellar. I would highly recommend this beer.

So here it is, I finally get to buckle down and try me some Dark Lord! I cannot believe that it has been nearly 1000 reviews and I have yet to try this one. I was able to get a bottle just a few days after DLD, thanks to a most generous trader, so this is the 2008 edition I will be reviewing. The black wax, was nearly impenetrable, but if you use a sharp enough opener will come off rather quickly. Served at 55 degrees, into an oversized wine glass, I was expecting perfection.

Appearance - The pour was thick, like sludge coming out of the bottle, gurgling as it hit the mouth of the bottle and smashing down into the glass. This was the thickest, darkest of blacks imaginable, it was like a black hole to which no light can escape. Very nice to behold. A smallish, maybe an inch high of rich, dark chocolate colored foam came over the top, giving a nice cascading look to it. Very interesting actually as it appeared to rise up out of nowhere as the liquid itself was so dark and thick that no carbonation could be seen. Some of the stickiest side glass lace I have ever seen, with just web upon web all over the place. This was a monster indeed.

Smell - Hard to put into words how good this smelled. It was a thick aroma, and very sweet. Lots of molasses coming though right away, but very dark, evil smelling. Coffee all over this as well, which surprised me as I did not think there would be as much. Touches of chocolate, but just barely, maybe some dark fruit, but hardly, this was immense in every way. Notes of bourbon come through after it warms, and I find myself sitting in the chair just swirling it around the glass, really just breathing it all in. This was fantastic.

Taste - The flavor followed suit beautifully. Rich coffee flavored molasses just washed over the tongue, well sticks to it is a more apt word, but we will get to that later. Amazingly complex it is hard to really imagine what this one tastes like unless you are actually having it. Nice notes of dark chocolate come through along with a touch of wood flavors. Warming it up brings out lots of oak, and a great hint of vanilla. This is one amazing beer, it is hard to believe that I waited this long to try this one. The finish was just as good as the start and went a little like this: As soon as the last dropped falls from the tongue you get a quick little bite of hops, small, but enough to give the start a bitter touch, this falls off and is replaced by a thick taste of coffee and bourbon, which themselves back off and leave your mouth begging for that flavor, but instead deliver a touch of vanilla, and then the warming starts from the inside. Truly remarkable.

Mouthfeel - This is where I want to comment the most on, but with the fewest words necessary. This was the thickest, smoothest, chewiest, most filling beer I have ever had. It gives a whole new meaning to the term full bodied. This was like a milk shake it was soo big. I was blown away from the first sips that it was a s thick as it was. Unimaginable smooth, as I was enjoying every sip a bit more then the one before it. Truly breathtaking.

Drinkability - For what it is, and for 13%v it was extraordinary. It was soo smooth, and sure you could pick up a little of the alcohol in it, but damn, maybe if it was like 8%, this was ridiculous. So much punch packed into such a delicious package, amazing really..

Overall I have to be honest here. I have in the past commented on how things get too hyped up and there are just as good if not better stouts out there to try. I will now eat my words. This was seriously insane in how good it was. I don't really know where it could have been possibly improved on. I would gladly stand in line for 1 hours in the cold for this one. It really is that good. I am very glad I finally got to try and review this one, it made my whole night. Simply put this is the stout to beat. It really does live up to the hype.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Pours a beautiful deep black color with a constancy of 10W40. The small tan head quickly dissipates. Below average lacing and below average carbonation with a smell of sweet roasted dark malts, coffee and vanilla. Tastes of strong coffee, sweet roasted malts, coffee, vanilla, and toffee. Very complex. Very tasty - This WORLD CLASS. Drink and Enjoy!

1.85/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1

My last review was deemed more of a rant than a review

(I don't know. I realize this might be sacrilege but this beer was gross. I had it on tap at the brewpub on the wednesday after darklord day and I have to say that I did not enjoy it. This was like fermented prune juice or something...I love stouts, porters and dark beer but this was without a doubt the most disappointing beer I have ever drank. Don't go out of your way for this.)

So I'll try to play be the rules this time:

Appearance: Solid Black and thick as hell (great looking stout)

Smell: Mixture of spoiled prune juice and nail polish remover

Taste: Something is wrong with this. Funky, spoiled and possibly poisonous are my best adjectives for this.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied stout

Drinkability: I finished it only out of obligation.

Let me add to my original review that I LOVE almost every FFF beer that I've tried and think their brewpub is one of the greatest in the midwest. Unfortunately, this beer is not my cup of tea.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to Will at Goose Island for the taste! Had it from a bomber he got at DLD in IN.

Inky black with a bit of a tan head, oily looking, unusual!

Nose is deep deep malt, chocolate and coffee notes, unreal.

Taste is even better, great flavors, and balanced, not sweet or sour, just right.

Full mouthfeel, inky and sly. Hmm, more than a taste is enough, maybe 12 oz but that would be it. Great to taste it!

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

While I did not get any Dark Lord bottles over the weekend I did at least get to sample the Dark Lord 08 on tap.

Pours a really Dark (go figure) black color in the plastic cup with a light tan head that just sits on top mocking me to drink it.

Smell is filled with coffee and molasses making this one remind me of a starbucks mocha. Dark fruits come through with the sweet roasted malts.

Taste is very similar with a lot of the flavors complimenting and wavering in and out of the forefront.

Mouthfeel is very thick and heavy with a lot of warming presence.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

With Dark Lork Day '08 only a few days in my rear view, it's high time I sampled the '07! Originally slated for Thanksgiving, it has been re-scheduled time and again. Finally, time to see if this beer backs up the hype...

Appearance - pours properly thick and black. A thin wisp of dark mocha lacing on the Belgian glass matching the thin layer on top of the beer. Didn't get a reverse cascading head, but it looks good still.

Aroma - the aroma is big. The malt is intense enough to have a soy-like quality. Dark roasted coffee and an undertone of abv heat. A little too much soy for me but the other smells are huge and mouth-watering.

Taste - sweet candyish dark malts envelop the palate. Abv is already stating its presence. Dark fruit in there. Massive roasted coffee and dark chocolate. The swallow allows a tickle of hop balancing, but not for long. A rush of fresh brewed coffee takes over the aftertaste, wow, what a powerful flavor so late into the tasting. Bittersweet chocolate follows the coffee for a delicious finish. The abv heat is there but you'd never guess it at 13%.

Mouthfeel - oh so thick, rich, and smooth. It wants to adhere to everything in and around the mouth.

Drinkability - worth the money and the hoopla...and the wait. Looking forward to this year's edition...

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

2008 - Thick black appearance with creamy brown head. Scent of coffee, chocolate, molasses, alcohol, smoke, and prunes. Intense sweet flavor of molasses with some coffee and chocolate, oak and prune finish. Mouth feel is thick and syrupy.

This beer is absolutely ridiculous, incredibly rich and deep. Balanced but devilishly strong. To me this beer was worth the wait, but even so, perhaps is still a bit overrated.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

I am currently tasting my 2007 DL compared to the newly acquired 2008 DL. I have no idea how I left this one alone for a whole year, but I did. Let me tell you, one year certainly does wonders for this big boy.

- 2008 head is bigger and lasts longer
- Same appearance, although I see some yeast collecting at the bottom of the glass in the 2008
-2008 smells more smokey, coffee and alive....2007 smells ready, as if aged in a bourbon barrel.
- more of the same....more coffee smoke in 2008
-2007 is surprisingly smoother, barely any carbonation, 2008 is way more lively
-both are amazing, but definitely cannot have more than one.

If you have the chance to try different years side-by-side, definitely do, because it is awesome...

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

A- poured a motor oil jet black with an almost non-existant brown head on top that quickly fell. thick creamy and sticky to the glass.

S- chocolate and malts all over the place. roasted body really thick all over the place.

T- hugely thick and really good. however considereing all the pain of DLD not really worth it.

M- dead thick oil. low carbonation. sticky as hell to the tongue

D- pretty damn good and delicious.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to grub for this sample, my first international trade, funny it was for an ameican beer.

2007 vintage

pour jet black, kind of viscus, the beer appears to be very thick. there is a slight head not too much but it falls into nothing over 20 minutes. lightly carbonated, which is to style.
the aroma is rich malty, dark chocolate, hint of cherries, coffee, other fruit, and alcohol.
the flavor is very rich and malty dark malt give it a chocolate and coffee flavor, there is some caramel and toffee, good bitterness to cut the malt, some spicy flavors, alcohol warming.
this beer is over all very good, balanced for its size and very flavorful.

Photo of

2007 Vintage

Opaque, black as motor oil with a couple hundred thousand miles on it. Perhaps a hint of red/brown at edges when held up to light....maybe just the flames of hell? Poured thick, you have to shake the bottle a bit to get it out. A small ring of dark brown bubbles formed around the edge of the glass.

Scent that first struck me was molasses. This was followed by quite a bit of roast character. A large dark fruit presence hit next, port-like. Alcohol/bourbon seemed to round out the scent.

Taste was more sweet than bitter, guess a year of age allowed the hops to calm down. Probably try one fresh this year to see the difference. Dark chocolate and coffee. Molasses again. Lots of dark fruits. Just a hint of soy, especially as it got close to room temperature. Alcohol taste was surprisingly subdued. Relatively mild herbal bittering at the finish.

Mouthfeel was fantastic. Thick, velvety smooth body. Minimal carbonation. Quite sweet. Alcohol starts to warm you up quickly.

An exceptional stout. Complex, great flavor, and an incredible mouthfeel, which is not a beer characteristic I had ever noticed as much as I did with this beer other than carbonation level. This beer may be hyped, but it doesn't disappoint.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

2007 bottle at DLD: Black as night it had a slight brown head that left some nice brown lacing. The nose was huge and filled with expresso, chocolate and porty overtones. While not as potent as the barrel-aged version, in the mouth it was the dense, thick, syrupy and oily. While the alcohol lever is high, it is never hot. The flavors from the nose fill the palate and cover every nook and cranny. This is an intese huge beer that should be drank in small quantities. However credit needs to be given as it is balanced which is not an easy feat for something this size.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks for breaking out the Dark Lord, Deuane!

A - Pitch black body with blood red head that receded into a wispy thin veil and left very minimal lacing. Not much carbonation to report, but who can see through that thick, opaque darkness?

S - Quite a complex aroma with hints of prunes, dried apricots, soy sauce, beef jerky and dark chocolate.

T - Kicks off with a prevalent beef jerky and soy sauce flavor, but segues into a sweet flavor with lots of dark fruit and chocolate.

M - Extremely smooth, oily texture with a viscous quality. Very soft carbonation, if any at all. Bit of heat from the high ABV, creating a warm feeling on the palate.

D - Definitely a sipper, but I can see what all the fuss is about. Big, bold flavors and an exceptional mouthfeel make this one of the best RIS offerings out there.

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Saved this from a trade, One year later,( '07 Vintage) it is time to indulge in this masterpeice.

Appearance: This beer pours like motor oil with little to no head. As I swirl the glass I see enourmous tar-like legs streaming back downward into the abyss that it came from. No light can be seem through this totally black liquid.

Smell: The aromas are complex and intoxicating. Lots of chocolate notes seem to be the backbone of this brewha. I'm also getting some roasted coffee bean, perhaps some mesquite wood, and even hint of black cherries.

Taste: Wow! Explosive alcohol and semi-sweet chocolate hits you immediately. I'm also getting some vanilla quaffs with black licorice. Not alot of coffee is noticable, but I am detecting a little bit of raisiny dark fruits. Tons of roastiness. This leaves a sticky alcoholic, chocolate, and cooking spice of some sort all throughout my mouth. A truely delightful and complex treat indeed!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thick, sticky and yet silk-like as well. It leaves a film in my mouth that I seem to taste over and over again. Even at one year later there is a decent amount of carbonation left.

Drinkability: This is a remarkable beer, thou I believe it is hyped up just a notch more than it needs be. Im definitely glad I got to try this and would recommend that you get your hands on this.

Cheers2Beers

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

A - perhaps a shade of brown away from black-hole black, deep khaki head. pours with the consistency of whole milk, perhaps half and half. marvelous

S - dark chocolate, toffee, and a lot of the Intelligentsia coffee that is markedly used in this Chicago-area brew.

T - basically, everything you want from an RIS: coffee, chocolate, roastiness, a twinge of alcohol (something that would suggest 7-8%, but certainly not 13%), gourmet raisins, and perhaps a little dark berry. this is a symphony to behold.

M - thick, but not cloying, like a milkshake that's melted down all the way, with only a bit of carbonation, enough to let you know it's there.

D - for a 13% RIS, i can only again bring up the milkshake analogy. it gives the drinker the amount of pleasure that a perfectly blended shake would give an 11-year-old boy after a Little League game. while it isn't my favorite american stout, it is quite probably the best beer i have ever tasted.

Thanks to iconoklaztor for letting me taste this. What an epic event.

Smell is very very sweet. Reminds me of the Sam Adams Triple Bock. I know that sounds weird, but it's very sweet. The sweetness is incredibly intense and last very long. I like it but the mouthfeel is very intense and sticky. The uniqueness here is in the durability of the taste; it lasts forever.

I'm not blown away, but it's a great beer. A little too sweet for me, but still awesome.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub