Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,646 | Reviews: 1,197
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

08 black wax. I hope that what im drinking wasn't ruined in transit to me it being summer and all. It pours black with a brown burnt sugar carmel colored head. aroma is alcohol, malt, with a heavy carmel scent. it tastes of bitter chocolate toasty malt and burnt caramel. this beer is punishing me at the moment. for the first time ever I think I can say that my stomach is in pain, but my mouth is in love. at first I thought that i coudn't handle this beer but its growing on me. I still in my honest opinion enjoy stone's imperial stout a little more because its something i can drink easily. Please take into note that it is august and this beer was shipped via ups

2008 Black Wax 22oz bottle
Served in an chalice

L) Dark red hue on the periphery while the center is murky black. Very little head but solid lacing nonetheless.

S)Raisins, Dried Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Dark Chocolate, Espresso.

T)Overtones of espresso but by no means overpowering, alcohol becomes slightly more apparent as the beer warms, dark chocolate, raisins, earth

F)Creamy, syrupy, but not as viscous as I anticipated, mild carbonation reveals itself with every sip as it foams a bit in my mouth.

D)This beer goes down easily despite being very "big" in character, yet something to be savored.

Overall: The hype for this beer is a bit ridiculous despite the fact that it is quite possibly the best example of the style. At least from what I have sampled.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

It's a good thing "subtlety" and "complexity" aren't categories, or this beer would score close to a zero. However, that's not what this beer is all about; power and a tidal wave of flavor is what this beer is about.

The beer pours a black brown color, looking more like used motor oil then any beer I've ever seen. Just looking at this beer you know you are in the presence of something pretty special. The beer looks thick and viscous. There is almost no head on this beer, but the lacing is otherworldly. What foam there is clings to the side of the glass.

The aroma of this beer is probably it's least impressive attribute, but of course even here it's pretty outstanding. The aroma is very one dimensional, blasting the nose with odors of vanilla, coffee, wine and nuances of oak. Fabulous stuff.

On the palate... what can one say. The beer is incredibly rich, full bodied and long. It has a satin, fluffy sort of mouthfeel, with incredible plush smoothness. The beer is just luscious. The mouthfeel on this beer is comparable only to Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout in terms of richness, plushness, and soft smoothness, but I would give my nod to the Dark Lord. Simply amazing.

Yes, this beer is not the most drinkable beer I've ever tasted, but it's not meant for that. This is the perfect bottle of stout to crack open and sip with some friends. The finish just lasts and lasts, and every sip is a joy. Believe the hype, this beer is a masterpiece.

Note: Recently had the chance to try a vertical of the DL, from 2007 through 2011. I had always assumed that this beer would be pretty age worthy, but based on the vertical, my thought is now, "not so much." The 2007 tasted a bit oxidized, with something of a copper or metallic taste. The 2008 was better, but it still had some sort of different, slightly off taste I thought (though it was still excellent). The 2009 was outstanding, and the 2011 seemed to be the best of bunch (with some nice chocolate and cinnamon flavor). The 2010 was good, but seemed a bit hot and boozy. It was better than the 2007 and 2008 I thought, but not as good as the 2009 and 2011.

A very interesting, tasting experience, to say the least...

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow, I had been excited about opening this one for a while. Cracked the orange wax, killed one bottle opener and then continued. Poured, and a dark brown/tan head rose from the depths, laced and stuck around until i finished my goblet. The lace just stuck to the glass like glue. The beer is black as anything I've seen, I thought it was going to suck in all the light from outside. Very oily consistently, very thick. Smells like coffee, with a slight slight alcohol underton, very roasty and you can smell the bitterness from the malts. The taste is like fine espresso, very nice and bitter coffee, the monster 13% ABV camoflaged in the flavour. Very roasty bitter and dry, and not very sweet like most imperial stouts I've had. The mouthfeel was insanely thick and coating, but this beer was very smooth and creamy for how big it is. I would not be able to drink a whole bottle but what I had was enough to know this is definately a world class beer, can't wait to open my other bottle.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Well I have waited a long time to try this beer, and this brewery sure made me pay for it, but then Dreadnaught should have given me a clue. This beer poured dark as a black hole with no light penatrating it's heavy mass and just probably sucking it in. It formed a reverse cascading (aka Guiness) like foamy dark brown head that refused to leave and coated my Expedition snifter solidly with lace. The aroma was heavy on the malt, with sharp hits of expresso coffee, dark chocolate and and plums. The flavor was heavy malt, dark chocolate with a lighter touch of expresso coffee. The body on this this one is quite thick and creamy while the finish is bittersweet. The alcohol is well hidden and tends to finally make its apparence like a brick wall in the dark. This is a amazing brew, but I doubt I will pay for it again at it's current cost, considering I can get Expedition in my area cheaper. If I begged them to get rid of the wax, will that drop the price a little?

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

2007 version. I won't get into the debate about whether or not this beer lives up to the hype. I sometimes think that certain cognoscenti bash a beer because it is hyped and downgrade its performance for that reason. The opposite is obviously true as well- people sometime review a hyped beer off the charts since they went through such lengths to obtain it and it is supposed to be good. Regardless, I didn't chase this down as a quest, I didn't go to Darklord Day, and I didn't trade my first born. It was shared with me by a kind soul and I felt like I could review this objectively. In any caes, its a damn good beer.

Pours black and absolutely opaque with a thick dark head that fades a good bit. Huge aromas of licorice, molasses, and treacle, as well as a nice sustained rooty bitterness. The taste is massive, with an onslaught of sweet, fruity, grainy, chocolate, licorice and coffee. The deep herbal bitterness and alcohol helps balance the massive sweetness. Even the sweeet elements have a slightly charred edge to them helping cut any cloying nature. Long, long finish and a thick, viscous, creamy mouthfeel. I truly enjoyed this experience. This is by no means an everyday beer. It is so alcoholic, big, thick, and chewy that the experience should be savored on ocassion. I'm sold.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Had this on June 11th and have to give a big, no HUGE, thanks to Nick (ThreeWiseMen) for sharing this with myself and Trevor (lynx1245). Reviewed from notes. Poured into a snifter. EDIT: This review is for a 2009 bottle

A: Pours a very thick oil black. Absolutely no light gets through when held up to the light. Very small espresso head forms and quickly recedes to a ring around the glass. Swirling the beer brings the head back but only for a little bit. No lacing is present at all, and swirling coats the glass with a thin clear film. Looks like what a RIS should look like.

S: I thought I was crazy but as noted in Nick's review, the first smell is one of bananas/banana bread. Also in there is dark chocolate and some sugary smells. Got molasses toward the end of the glass but was faint for me. Are we sure this is a RIS? Wouldn't know it by just the smell, very interesting for sure.

T: Coffee and dark chocolate are the first things I taste. Very different from the smell. Roasty notes are detected and a bit of alcohol in the finish. The black coffee taste sticks around long after each drink. About 5 to 10 minutes into this I hit the banana flavor. Again very interesting for a RIS. I really would have liked more up front taste in this but overall it was super good and delicious.

M: This just coats the entire mouth. Good thickness, warming from the alcohol. Not harsh at all, love the mouthfeel of this.

D: This thing is 13%?!?! Would have never guessed that from the taste of this thing. Goes down way too smooth for a 13% beer. I was the first one done and that saddened me and I wished I had more to drink. Sadly, no, it was all gone. I'm really glad I got to try this and if you are able to get your hands on this, you will not be disappointed.

2010 release.

Black, syrupy beer. Head recedes quickly and leaves little lace. Looks like it's going to be a big one.

Smells super sweet and rich and complex. The aroma is almost like that of a quad.

There must be a ton of ingredients in this beer. It's enormous. Dark chocolate, molasses, caramel, raisins, raspberries, licorice, and dry flavors too like a chocolate espresso and brown sugar oatmeal. Molasses and dark chocolate big time though. And the alcohol is definitely a presence.

Slow drinker. Intensely rich and flavorful but also the alcohol catches up and slows you down.

Really amazing.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

2008 bottle from sammydavisjrjrjr in person.

A- the first thing I notice about this one is how thick it looks coming out of the bottle. Its unlike anything ive ever seen before. Black as black can be with a coffee colored head so small its not even worth talking about. As for lacing, it leaves a slimy trail along any part of the glass it touches. If motor oil had carbonation I bet this is what it would look like.

S- very complex. Lots of booze. Lots of charred malt. The smell reminded me of the last inch of coffee when its left on the burner too long. Tobacco/raisin is strongly in the nose as well

T- again, very complex. The alcohol is very subdued compared to how it smells and how high the level is. It tastes very charred. Everything is burnt. Coffee, chocolate, cherries, raisins/tobacco....it tastes like burning

M- insanely thick. Thicker than I thought possible. It makes all other beers seem watery in comparison. Feels like a milkshake in my mouth. Lots of warming from the high ABV. This is what an RIS should feel like. perfect.

D- this is the hardest part to rate for this beer. On one hand, I was able to finish my bottle faster than most beers I drink. I loved drinking it. It's probably the most intense beer ive ever had. On the other hand, I was pretty buzzed after it and another bottle would have pushed me way over the edge. A fantastic birthday present to myself, and something I wish I could drink on a regular basis. Fantastic.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

2008 vintage. Poured into a Darkness snifter.

A: Pours black as night with a thick brown head that settles quickly to a thin film on the surface. Lacing is sticky, but slides down the glass walls with ease.

S: Aromas consist of coffee, chocolate, molasses, and dark fruits. Hops aren't present on the nose, being masked with these malt characters and distinct booziness.

T: One of the most flavorful beers of this style I have tried to this day. Dried dark fruit, molasses, coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts coat the palate, along with a fair amount of warming alcohol. Hops lend a dry finish to the beer, but the flavors overwhelm the finish with a second wave.

Full bodied and chewy. You don't sip this beast, you eat it. If there was ever a meal in a bottle, this is it. Drinkability is excellent, but the alcohol makes it a true sipper. Overall, this is a world class beer.

WHOAAA!

This first time I had this beer it was a "no-name". I bought twelve bottles for $150... now you can't even get two for that price. When I brought it home and poured... it wrecked my glass. I had to throw it out!!!

The 08 has come a long way. It pours pitch black with little or no head. The smell is blackberries, carmel, coffee, vanilla, and similar hints to Alpha King and Gumballhead.

The taste is hard to explain. Imagine you're walking down the street and someone just shoved a sandwich in your mouth. You'd be shock. And I still am everytime I drink it. Sorry I can't go any further than that... Just get some.

Mouthfeel is like oil. Craziness!

Lots of drinkability here... but certainly because of it's uniqueness and freak-show like fame.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a pitch black with a tan head that hung around for a bit and left a nice lace. The smell was great! Malty, chocolate, coffee and a hint of maple sweetness? The taste was very good too, not overbearing. Just a smooth huge beer, if thats possible. M: & D: I'm lucky enough to have some of this aging in the basement and can't wait to have some more! Get some if possible!

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

2010 edition. Opened for my father's birthday celebration and shared with my wonderful family. About 5 oz for me :)

Into an open mouthed glass, this looks brilliant!!! Black with dark tan head, no lace, but the head is creamy and sticks around. A perfect looking beer in every way except that there's a small ring of alcohol that kills the lace. It really does look intimidating as it pours, coming out of the bottle with motor oil thickness. The glass sits on the table almost pounding it's fist into an open hand, saying "just try it, I dare you".

Smell is dark fruit, dark molasses, chocolate, and a touch of coffee and hoppy bitterness. The smell is a great mix of different notes, but I have had a few RIS with slightly more pronounced roast. This has more sweet syrup and a touch of soy sauce, still great, just different that what I consider to be perfect.

Taste is exceptional. Chocolate cake, chocolate covered cherries, touch of vanilla, dark coffee liquor. A hint of bitterness that ultimately ends up sweet. Each sip is 25 calories of perfection, and just a touch of hotness in this new kicked-up ABV version. I think this does taste a bit better than the 2009 already. Such an amazing, powerful force of flavor, all flavors dialed up to 11. Yeah, that's right, Dark Lord goes to *eleven*.

Mouthfeel is utter perfection. Milkshake thickness, creamy, perfect viscosity and carbonation. Really, really brilliant and perhaps the most legendary characteristic of this beer.

Drinkability, well, who are we kidding. Even on a curve for a huge ABV beer, this is not incredibly drinkable. But it's world class in every way and is something I wish more beer drinkers had the chance to appreciate. Special occasions just seem that much more special when Dark Lord comes to the party. Cheers to my pops - happy Birthday, you're the best Dad ever!

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

i split this bottle with 2 other friends, and wish i had at least a whole 22oz in my glass. i loved it. if this 2010(only year i've had) isn't as good as the 06/08, then they must have been fantastic.

Very dark inky pour, as you'd expect. It wasn't as viscous looking on the pour as what i would expect from hearing all the talk about it being the thickest beer ever, but it's just one of those hype expectations, it was overall among the thick side, i guess i was just expecting chunks to pour out like curdled milk, which didn't happen. Back on topic, it looks great.
There is a faint aroma of alcohol heat, which excites me, and some fruits and roasty qualities.
Taste is awesome, roasted coffee and faint nuts, dark chocolate covered cherries. great bit of heat in each sip that brings it all together for me.

I need to get more of this, and actually take off work next DLD. its really good.

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled a 2006 bottle (Gold Wax):

A- Poured with a thin foamy tan head, which quickly receded to a collar and some little bits of lacing. The body was a completely opaque black color, that didn't even show through when held to the light. The depth (or lack) of color is impressive, but otherwise this looks like any old Imperial Stout.

S- Super malty nose with a lot of chocolate character to it, along with some dark fruit esters. Smells like a glass of chocolate-covered cherries. Amazing!

T- Wow. Rich. Chocolatey. Dark fruit and vinous flavors combine with a small hit of hop bitterness midway, and some faint booziness that lasts through a beautiful, sustained finish. This is a wonderfully crafted liquid dessert. Certainly the 4 years of age has also helped this one earn a 5.0 in the 'Taste' department!

M- A nice big creamy, silky mouthfeel; with the perfect proportion of soft carbonation. A proverbial 'velvet blanket' on the mouth!

D- Deceptively smooth. The alcohol is so well hidden. I could drink this all day until I was comatose. High praises for 3 Floyds!

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

Aroma – dark cherries, fudge, caramel, a bit of alcohol, sugary sweetness, a touch of vanilla

Appearance – thin dissipating head, jet black, opaque, lacing that sticks to the glass

Mouth Feel – thick but not as thick as I remember from previous bottle, silky, coating, medium / low carbonation, slight alcohol warmth

Taste – similar to what I picked up in the aroma but with more depth than the aroma, sweet, fruity, complex, cark cherries, concord grapes, chocolate chips, a touch of coffee. The sweet, fruity complexities trump the roast found in other beers of this style

Overall – A huge thank you to jrmann1386 and his generosity! This was a very enjoyable bottle. I took over 45 minutes to savor this one. This beer is a fun interpretation of a big, bold stout – each taste enjoyable and complex.

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Pours out an incredibly dark black viscous color with a beautiful tawny head and some lacing; the head fails to last, however and the liquid just sits there like molasses

Smell: Starbucks on steroids; deep roasted coffee bouquet with lots of dark cocoa powder and alcohol mixed in

Taste: Incredible stout flavors; lots of deep rich coffee, dark dark chocolate and hints of dark fruit swirl around the tongue with a nice bitter chocolate finish with a touch of mint

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous; moderate carbonation; plenty of warmth on the finish

Drinkability: Not to be indulged everyday, this stout demands a special occasion; a wondrous potion with an incredible mouthfeel that sets it apart from other beers

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

22oz bomber, split with blackie, this bottle courtesty of CRJMellor I believe...been searching for this one for quite some time

appearance: pours dark as night into a couple of snifters, as close to black as a brew can come, rich and creamy chocolate brown head begins to form, a tan rim remains for a while but eventually diminishes down to minimal lacing

smell: this one can be smelt from across the room...rich and creamy chocolate is extremely potent, espresso definitely present, a sweet warm alcohol aroma, sweet malts, quite roasty

taste: super chocolatey, very roasty with a very gentle bittersweet aftertaste, plum/cherry soaked in alcohol then drenched in sweet milk chocolate, dark roast coffee/espresso is at a near perfect level...alcohol is not overpowering but its presence is certainly felt, very creamy chocolate flavors

mouthfeel: flawless, velvety, creamy, silky smooth, only slight bittersweet

drinkability: half a bomber will be plenty but this is a very smooth imp stout

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Shared a bomber of 2009 Dark Lord with a friend.

A- Wonderful black liquid. with a slightly vigorous pour a small ring of reddish brown bubbles form for the head of the beer. A touch of lacing is evident. The beer coast the glass when swirled.

S- A bit narrow here for such a massive beer. There is lots of mocha and toffee in the aroma. Big sweet character. Cant sense much else.

T- Amazing Flavor. Huge Sweet RIS. Lots of very dark Fruits and tobacco notes hitting up front. It reminds me of a Barley Wine. Lots of chocolate and toffee to the very sweet finish. Port like quality.

M- This beer is very velvety and smooth. Could drink it all day. The carbonation keeps the finish just right, sweet but ends dry enough to want another sip

O- World Class RIS.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

2007 release, acquired from grub courtesy of the Birthday Club 2 BIF, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark black color, with a thin brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark robust roasted malts, dark fruit, chocolate and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is everything you look for in an RIS. The semi-sweet flavor of dark chocolate is complemented by mild flavors of dark fruit and coffee. The malt character is as hearty as you will find and there's a mild hops presence that is enough bring a good balance. There's absolutely no trace of the 13.00% ABV. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Viscous and extremely smooth, heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, sticky finish.

D: Very tasty and flavorful, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling for such a thick beer, very strong kick, excellent representation of style, this is a tremendous beer that is worth all of the hype it has received.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Oh my God...Here it is...The Darklord has finally arrived!! From DL day 07' Here it goes...Pours the absolute darkest of any beer I've seen...It is beyond black. And I can already see the it's thickness. Huge dark head, three fingers, with amazing retention...Lovely puffy lace that sticks permanantly to the side of the glass. After a few sips it becomes evident that there is a thin layer of film coating the side of the glass. Beautiful...

Smells of sweet malt, burnt chocolate and there is a strong scent of a fruit I cannot completely put my finger on. Very powerful, possibly plum with a hint of cherry background.

Tastes incredible...Roasted sweet malt up front, plum, cherries, wine flavors, slight cherry...Almost no hop flavor other than in support of all the others in the mix. Great balance and complexity..Finishes with a burnt caramel coffee flavor.

One hefty ass feel in the mouth...Motor oil, cream, espresso...Thick, warm, sticky...but, it's not thick to the point of foaming creaminess in the mouth, and it's not overly syrupy. Very nice consistancy.

I gave this wonderful beer it's lowest rating in drinkability for a number of reasons. Only being available once a year, and yes...it's high price, on one side...High alcohol content, and the fact that it's extremely complex and very rich as the other. It is an excellent beer, but it's definitely a sipper...You've just gotta be prepared for it!!!!

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

2008, Pours black as night in the 32oz. snifter. Nose gives a stiff yet sweet shake in my loins. This is a true beer, 2008 is another fine representation from Three Floyds and worthy of the name and fame that is Dark Lord Imperial Stout.

B.T.W. am I reading this correct? Someone found this at a retailer? Jungle Jim's ? Let alone almost 9 whole months after Dark Lord day? I find that hard to believe. You sure that it was "Three Floyds" Dark Lord?

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.