Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Reviews: 1,212 | Hads: 3,907

650ml bottle Not sure on the Abv. - 13% or 15%
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2009 Vintage White Wax

I cannot thank pittsburghkid66 enough for hooking me up with this one! When I joined BA, Dark Lord was in the top 5 of the top beers list and was hyped to hell and back. It has occupied the top of my want list since then; I cannot believe that I am finally able to taste it!

Appearance: The Dark Lord gloops out of the bottle, viscous and black as can be. A strong back light reveals only the faintest hint of red along the edge of the glass. A vigorous pour yields a small, creamy, mocha coloured head. Sadly retention and lacing are quite poor, but a light swirl makes up for this by coating the glass in a thick, yellow-brown residue!

Smell: F*** me, I knew Dark Lord would smell good, but I didn't realise the nose could potentially be the best in all of beerdom!
The initial sniff is made up purely of rich, sweet, dark chocolate mousse, dusted with a fine cocoa powder. Subsequent sniffs yield strong notes of molasses, dark fruit, dark, salted caramel and liquorice. As the beer warms, light roasted notes, soya sauce, vanilla and a touch of alcohol also become apparent.

Taste: Perfect! I love a balanced sweetness in big beers and Dark Lord pulls this off in style, with the perfect balance of a sweet initial flavour and a roasted, bitter finish. The initial sweetness is composed of sweet chocolate, dark, salted caramel, molasses and sweet dark fruits. This slowly fades into a light roasted note and a moderate coffee bitterness in the finish. Warming yields liquorice, soya sauce and a hint of alcohol. Every burp seems to bring a flavour chocolate mousse, dusted with cocoa powder!

Mouthfeel: Full body, lightly sticky, with a low level (although higher than I expected) of stunningly smooth carbonation. The finish is lingering, moderately bitter and quite dry. This is certainly a sipper.

Overall: It is seldom that a super hyped, long time want can live up to expectations, but Dark Lord has done just that! If I lived in the USA I would certainly travel to Munster once a year to get four bottles of this! (2,157 characters)

2011 dark lord, my first thanks to my bud jeff

A-Deep hellish ambers to black, great tan head.. holds for about 30 seconds.

S-Bursts of alcohol and dark fruits, chocolates, roasted coffee, caramels. earthy IMO

T-GOOD DARKLORD! HOT! chocolates, coffee, darker fruits...plum. alcohol and hops balance out the malt in this great beer for sure, still very sweet but not too over powering.

M-Very thick(thats what she said) oily, weighs the jaw down, your palate will be satisfied.

O-amazing brew, FFF promises great beer. WILL be attending DLD!! hope i can get a few vintages as well as a few 11's.shared with a great friend=great memories and healthy palates. (662 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Been waiting since DLD 2015 to try this when my buddy gave me one after not being able to get tickets.

A - Rich black with a viscosity that is hallmark of a great imperial stout. The thick fluid yields a perfect .25" fine, brown head. Really a great looking beer.

S - Initially this is what a big and rich imperial stout should smell like. There is a big malt, caramel, dark bitter chocolate, roast, and dark fruits all pooling together. There is a lot going on in the nose and a sweet, robust RIS is a good starting point.

T - Again like the nose the big sweet malt, caramel, and chocolate flavors open. There are a lot of other flavors in the middle, like raisins and figs, that are blended well. It's robust and smooth. The finish is more of the bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Very delicious flavor that is smooth but still tilted toward the sweet side. No alcohol at any point which I was surprised by.

M - High mouth-feel with lower carbonation. Thick beer but does have enough CO2 and bitterness to cut into the sweet, sticky character that is a 15% RIS.

Overall, this is a very delicious beer. Great flavor that is only tilted to the sweeter side not just sweet like some of the reviews suggest. There is everything you would expect with the dark chocolate, roast, and dark fruit but it isn't the best beer that I've ever had. I really enjoyed this thick and creamy beer but I wouldn't punch someone in the face over it.

Glass- Snifter (1,453 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +14.5%

I had the pleasure of trying Dark Lord for the first time this year. Out of the numerous stouts I have tried ( thanks to swarthybrews ) this is by far my favorite. Cheers to everyone! (184 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

An ebon curtain of enveloping blackness.
A patchy ceiling of brown.

An unholy olfactory onslaught of roast. Wailing vapors of blackberry brandy. Soul-stealing vanilla. Curdling caramel nougat. Emblazoned pine needles.

And so it begins.

Coats the mouth with blackness. Not with some sort of allegorical, punny, namesake, evil simile, but quite literally full of just about every goddamn dark, black thing imaginable. Molasses. Chocolates. Plum. Currant. Liquorice. Blackberry. Espresso-and other, more foo-foo coffee creations, Cafe Au Lait, Cappuccino, whatever. Tar, that gooey, stick-to-the-soles-of-your-shoes-in-the-summer-type. Quells as it progresses into a molten bath of caramel and nougat and vanilla and brown sugar. This is where it is at its most delicious, even as it teeters on becoming oversweet. More currant and plums reform, as its cycle starts anew. Holy shit. This literally goes through revolutions, metamorphoses, in the mouth, as it rotates through its stages, then repeats itself without any additional sips.

BLACK
HARSH
SWEET
BLACK
HARSH
SWEET.

The booze quotient is mystically hidden. It's thicker than soup, but never explicitly hot. The alcohol is manifest in mellow tendrils of blackberry brandy, bourbon, rum and cognac, but solely in flavor, never in burn.

Hops are largely overcome by the wicked wrath of the malt girth. Pine resin is predominant, but burnt black and driven into the magma.

It's mouth-binding hugeness prevents drinkability in common-sense definitions. But I could slowly sip this anytime, any place.

Those last drops of mudslide, protein slop from the bottom are like some sort of (nearly) liquid Irish Crème chocolate fudge brownie. You haven’t lived, bro –you really haven’t- until you lap up the sticky remnants from your facial hair.

Hype is a motherfucker.

And so is this. (1,871 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

I haven't written a review in a while...you know how it goes. However, I recently acquired a bottle of Dark Lord from a friend back in Indiana for Christmas (new best friend). He went through all the trouble of waiting in line on Dark Lord day out in Munster, and I got to reap all the benefits. Thanks Konrad! You're a hero among men.

Dark Lord. It's definitely a sippin' beer. A spectacular sippin' beer. I poured it out and you could immediately smell it from across the room. Very strong flavors of oak/chocolate/coffee and fruit and just plain roasted octane. It is a deep dark black color, no opacity, with a brown bubbly head. As if the smell wasn't enough,the taste was just as good and complex - all those flavors that came out in the smell were there in double in the taste.

The only reason this isn't a total 5.0 exceptional in my ratings is because...well, I just don't think I could drink more than the half-a-bottle that I had. It's one of those exceptional things that you can only have a tiny piece of, and only need a tiny piece of, to know that it's special. (1,079 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Review from notes taken from sampling party early December 2008.

Lets just say....all the hype is true....

One of the most perfect beers I have ever tasted. INCREDIBLE. Really, there aren't words to describe this master brew....WOW

A - Dark Red. Black Cherry. Prunes. Chocolate. Sorry to sound like a girl but this beer is beautiful. The best looking beer I have ever seen....Period.

S - Prunes. Chocolate. Raisins. Cherries. So many things going on....it is just incredible.

T - SMOOTH. Creamy. Filling. Incredible. Chocolate cherries. Thank you so much Tim for standing in line for 5 hours and sharing this with our group. Perfection in a bottle.

M - Creamy and smooth. I never wanted my glass to end. All hail Three Floyds Dark Lord.

D - 4.5 because of 13% but never once did I taste alcohol.

The most perfect beer I have ever or probably will ever have. Sorry Surly Darkness...your close....but just not quite to this lever....close though, very close.

In a simple statement....this beer is almost perfection in a bottle. (1,036 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

2006 gold wax sealed edition into the oversized snifter glass. Poured with a cascading head, loved watching it bubble up to the surface, a dark brown head sat atop, but fizzled away to nothing in very little time. The nose was strong in a cold, espresso smell, with dark chocolate, and alcohol soaked fruits. The initial flavor on the tongue is of dark roasted chocolate covered espresso beans, with a mild hop bite, alcohol follows the sips down the throat. After letting it warm up, more fruitiness comes into the picture, as you start to get an almost rum covered cherry flavor, a black cherry. After the beer became room temperature, the vanilla comes into play, and makes this beer extremely easy to drink. Last years was a bit easier on the palate to drink, but the complexities that made me put an additional half an hour into this beer makes me wonder at the possibilies of how this beer will taste with a few months put on it, or even another year or two. (964 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

This is an experience. I feel honored to have received a taste. Blitheringidiot is the man!!! =)

Appearance: Pours absolute black into my tasting snifter. My little serving had little head but that is to be expected. It had a dark tan chocolate colored frothy cap and a collar around the glass.

Smell: Sweet black molasses, alcoholic bourbon like attribute. Dark fruits, burnt malt, coffee, licorice and port are all part a rich and luscious nose.

Taste: I bow to the Dark Lord. There is a reason for the demand. Dark Lord is all that people claim it to be. It is rich chocolaty fudge with caramel molasses berries woodiness boozy vinous alcoholic delight that takes over your entire palate and maintains it grip long after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Huge body, silky silky smooth and warm with alcohol and spices it is better than heavenly.

Drinkability: It doesn't take much to realize this is a beast to be reckoned with. I suggest sharing a bomber. I suggest sharing a bomber with me ;-) to be more precise.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

[EDIT] -
After obtaining my share this year I cracked into a bottle as fresh as possible a few days after getting home. I shared this beer with phnphilly and bookert last night. It was AMAZING. The pour is midnight black and motor oil thick with absolutely no head on the beer. When I swirled it in my glass the viscous liquid literally stained the glass brown. The swallow in warm but the massive rich oily smooth feel coats every inch of your mouth and then some. Perfect!!! (1,540 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

This review is for the 2006 vintage, tasted back in June of this year. Review is from notes. Gold wax covering the top. I have another cellaring for a later date. Thanks to highclassdrinker for the trade!!!

I was not sure what to expect when I opened the bottle... it said "Reverse cascading head"... that the hell is that???

This one poured out clear, nearly black, like motor oil. The head was three fingers, and once I saw it, I understood what reverse cascading meant. I cannot begin to describe it, it would not do it justice.

The aroma was rich and vinous, with dark roasted malts, burnt fruits, and molasses. There was a touch of sweetness.

Flavor followed aroma... slightly sweet, dark roasted malts, burnt fruits, and roasted coffee beans. Many layered and complex, and not very hoppy. Balanced.

Mouthfeel was incredibly smooth and silky for a beer this big. It went down surprisingly easily.

Drinkability... almost perfect, but the availability and the cost take away slightly. And the high ABV, together with the size of the bottle, make it damn difficult to get through one of these alone. But I managed. (1,136 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Drank last night from the '07 stock.

A: Pours like motor oil, but somehow blacker and thicker. A nice small brown head that left a ring around the glass. It leaves a film coating over every inch of the glass that it touches.

S: Heavy plum scent with a coffee and alcohol smell when you really get your nose in it.

T: Cherry and port wine is my first thought on flavor. As it warmed a bit more I got more and more chocolate and hints of coffee.

M: Coats your entire mouth and leaves a great aftertaste. I could still really taste it 30 mins after I was done with the beer.

D: There was so much going on with this beer it was like a tastebud workout drinking the whole thing.

I got my limit on DL day and I think those will last me until DL Day 08. Overall I think it lives up to the hype, and it's a really amazing beer. (843 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Girnormous thanks and cudos to Crosling for hooking me up with (and sharing!) a bottle of the 2005 batch.

The usual 22 ounce bomber, set out from cellaring and allowed to warm to about 55 degrees. Poured into St. Bernie tulip goblets, no light passes through this monster. Vigorous pour yielded a brown (with yellow edges?) large reverse cascading head that clung to the glass like molasses.

Smell of espresso, dark chocolate, burned cherry syrup, prunes, figs, and malted malt. Incredible: I just wanted to go on inhaling this aroma!

Taste is huge and chewy and tongue wrestlingly thick: this is like Yeti on steroids. Intensely decadent dark chocolate espresso malt with prunes and caramel and malt on malted-chocolate-covered-cherries. Took most of an hour to savour this: as it warmed, everything gets more intense, especially the chocolate.

Mouthfeel is the richest of any beer I've ever had: simply decadently smooth and mouth-fillingly round. Glutenous, thick, tongue-coating, chewy and slurpalicious, this stuff is so rich you want to swirl it around a while before swallowing it.

Drinkability is the only thing that holds this back. Weird thing is that all the intensely enormous voluptuousness of the flavors and mouthfeel completely mask the 13.0%. Perilously drinkable.

A note: reserved the bottom half-inch to consume by itself. The 2005, unlike the 2004, doesn't have a lot of sludge at the bottom. However, there was a lot of flavor: that last half-inch was like the rest of the bottle concentrated into two small mouthfulls -- absolutely over the top.

Overall, a freakishly amazing brew, and I can see why people are after this with abandon. Thanks again to Crosling for the sharing! Astonishing. (1,736 characters)

2010 Bottle Reviewed

C. Black
H. Clear on the corners
N. Boozie (Rum and Bourbon), Sweetness, and a hint of Espresso

Well the only other time I have had Dark Lord was at the release party for Hunahpu's. I was pretty intoxicated but was able to remember how good I thought it was. Well 2010 stood up to the hype, slapped the hype, then defecated all over it. This is a perfect Russian Imperial Stout, that is anything but hype. Everyone that sampled this bottle with me was amazed by the complexity of the beer, just as I was. The mouth feel was oily and creamy on the tongue. The flavors progressively changed with warmth, though one flavor of Cantaloupe stuck with me for a bit. Simply put; Darklord is Complex as HELL!!! GREAT BEER! (736 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Had this on tap yesterday at DLD. First experience with the Dark Lord, and wondered if it would live up to the hype. It most definitely did.

A - Black as night. Thick as motor oil. Small brown head. One of the most intense looking beers I've ever seen.

S - Smell is very complex. Starts off with sweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee. As it warmed smell hinted more toward raisin and prune along with the previously stated.

T - Each drink of this beer gives you a new taste that you didn't notice during the last swig. You name it, it's probably there. Chocolate, coffee, brown sugar/molasses, roasted maltiness, raisins, prunes, hint of alcohol... but no where near the 13%.

M - Thick, coats your entire mouth. Smooth finish, but it stays with you for a good while after it's gone.

D - Very tasty, however not one you would drink in copious amounts. Even though I did have a couple yesterday....

Overall, DLD was great and this beer does not disappoint. (966 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

I had the opportunity to go to Dark Lord Day 2009, so I've had it on tap, but this review is for one of the bottles I bought, a 2009 22oz. poured into a pint glass. So good, I can't wait till March!

A: Pours as black as motor oil, and has a very slight, not even a finger, tan head to it.

S: Coffee, burnt molasses maybe? Mouth-watering might be a good, non-scientific term to use here.

T: Unreal. Coffee, chocolate, maybe some port, some sweetness, some bitterness. I really love this stuff.

M: Thick, syrupy and sticky, hardly any carbonation.

D: Honestly, when I had it at DLD, they were serving it in cups filled up to 5 or 6 ounces, and that was about perfect. I opened a bottle at home and ended up drinking it alone, as no one else wanted any. By the end of the bottle, I was wishing I had one of the 5 oz draft pours. DO NOT take on a whole bottle by yourself. (873 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Incredibly smooth. Fresh out of the tap. Ebony liquid flows like cough syrup. Caramel colored head. The aromas are intense, sweet & malty. The first sip coats the mouth and throat with a sweet blackberry brandy-like warmth. Next thing I know, half the glass is gone & I already know I'm taking a growler home with me.

When they finally bottle this ambrosia of the damned(fall/winter 2003 if the rumors at Three Floyds are true) I can already picture the label. Lost souls lined up awaiting their turn to suckle at the teet of the Dark Lord. (543 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Wow! I've never been able to pick a "favorite" beer, but I finally found a clear winner.

A- Reading the bottle, I thought it might be a bit exhaggerated, but not at all! "...head that starts out billowing the color of burnt oil like the Dark Lord rising from the black primordial beginnings." Sounds dead-on. All it forgot is the viscocity of burnt oil as well.

S- Slightly sweet, very roasty, slightly spicy, hints of vanilla and cocoa.

T- Unbelievable! Molasses, dark fruits, vanilla, chocolate, caramel, a complex oaky flavor, and a little spice. Note the slight, but well-hidden, alcohol presence and you've got deliciousness.

M- Thick, rich, slight carbonation, very slight alcohol warmth.

D- For a beer that leaves a film instead of lacing on the glass, this is about as drinkable as its gonna get (808 characters)

Thanks to Mhewes for the chance to ry this brew for my 100th review:
A - Pours like motor oil with a large mocha head quickly that disipated leaving no lace
S - Dark chocolate, smoke, oak, tobacco.
T - All over the place oak, tobacco, dark chocolate, hearty espresso, semisweets, dark fruits, and currants.
M - Thick as hell and chewy with a low carbonation. Good coating with a decent alcohol burn...Very nice!
D - Awesome brew! One of the best accomplishment in attempting to balance extremity. Can wait to get more of this beer!! (532 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Got three of these beauties (2007 version) via trade for some Westy's. A big thank you goes out to Duster72, WankerWeasel, and westweasel.

Oh boy here it goes!

A: I peeled back the wax and popped this bad boy open. I swear I saw smoke coming from inside the bottle, was I imagining this or was there really smoke? This is the absolute darkest beer known to man.... Period! Black does not start to describe this beers color. That being said as I swirl the glass I see hints of red popping thru. It pours with the consistency of 10W40 motor oil with a nice two finger espresso colored head that settles down nicely. I see some mud at the bottom of the glass, can't wait to consume that, I may pour it over ice cream. There is no lacing, but the glass appears to have been dipped into oil. The contents of this bottle may be the remains of the Exxon Valdez spill as there is an oily film left behind as the contents disappear.

S: Very complex. You really have to concentrate to pick out the aromas. I smell dark espresso, vanilla, prunes, raisins, and a hint of alcohol, port wine maybe? Pure goodness in a bottle.

T: Ah yeeeessss. I really like this one. Some of the finest malts on earth must have been used to brew this stuff. I can confrim it is not the remains of the Exxon Valdez what it is though is one great beer. The first thing that comes to my mind here is rich creamy chocolate cake. There is an overload of chocolate at first. As it oozes down my throat and believe me it oozes there are notes of cherries, plums, raisins, currents, and a hint of smoke. This is one complex brew. Danger Will Robinson I am in Sensory Overload.

M: You could chew this one, put it in a pan and bake it and you would have Fudge. In all honesty this is a thick brew but it is so rich, creamy and smooth. BRAVO!

D: Obviously at 13% ABV and the cost this is a one bottle brew. But it is one of the most enjoyable bottles of beer you will ever consume.

Overall: Move over Slimfast we now have a meal in a bottle instead of a can. This one is so ever filling. It leaves your belly so full and your insides warm and tingly. After consuming this beer you will forget all about calories. As for the hype related to this beer; what hype? This beer lives up to the billing. 3 Floyd's takes great care in making this beer and it is deserving of its own day for release. I realize the whole Dark Lord Day may have grown a little out of hand, but the hoopla helps to make this beer even more special than your every day or seasonal beer.

I was born and raised in the Hoosier State where all my family still resides. From this day forward we will take an annual trip back home, to visit our family, friends, and the FFF family. I will score mass amounts of this stuff to drink as I please and to share with those less fortunate who can not attend.

In closing this beer could probably easily receive 5* but I am still holding back for that perfect beer that I have yet to find... I may be on to it though. The oak aged version of this may quite possibly push this one over the top making it deserving of a 5 star rating. I can't wait to get my hands on some and find out. If it is you will be the first to know. (3,196 characters)

Excellent.

This one pours out to a jet black in the glass with a very slight head. However, that slight head looks like carmelized molasses and sugar. The aroma is that of raisins, plums, blackberries and anise. The taste is absolutely incredible. Roasted malt and licorice massage and encompass your taste buds entirely. The mouthfeel is perfect. It takes the full-on flavor and coats your mouth in a creaminess of stout and all its glory. The ABV is well-hidden.

This was a beer experience. (498 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to Quatertill2 for the trade on this.

A- Black. If you hold it to the light, there's a little tiny bit of brown around the edges. Leaves a brown stain around the glass. Head was dark dark brown, poured a couple fingers after a hard pour. It dissipates and begins to look like used oil.

S- Rich and heavy. Dark roasted malt, chocolate, fig, burnt sugar, oak, molasses, wood, alcohol.... smells absolutely wonderful. Mind blowing.

T- Sweet malt, balanced by dark roasted grains, some dark cherry, burnt malt, burnt sugar, chocolate, dark fruit, roasted espresso, alcohol, faint hops, lingering bitterness and sweetness, though both crazy strong, they're balanced.

M- The best mouthfeel. Ever. Period. Chewy, smooth, lingering, medium low carbonation... geez. it's perfect.

D- I love it. Insanely enough, if this beer was readily available, I'd drink it all the time. It's such a treat that you can't... but I think it would sell very well if it was available all the time, still. Five is not a good enough score. makes all the others, so far, look weak. (1,066 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

OIL, if you are looking for something thick, your can't get thicker than this. it is so thick it is chewy. over the holidays, my brother, our friend sue, and i took a short trip down to indiana from chicago to go to three floyds. good time. kinda weird atmosphere though, imagine snow outside and cold, everyone inside the brewery, not the brew pub or restaraunt, but the brewery in coat and hats and gloves, drinking great beer. self guided tour. fun indeed, but back to the beer. ok this beast was malt malt malt. hints of chocolate and carmel, but not much else. poured with amazing thick brown head that did not depleate at all. no alcohol flavor and the tiniest hint of hop bitter. the mouthfeel as i said before was like drinking oil. the only downside to this beer would be the drinkablity. i had two and was so worked out that i was ready for a nap. if you get a chance to have this amazing stout, DO NOT pass it up. (924 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Ok.... came out of 'review retirement' for this one. Firstly, HUGE thanks to Ben in Minnesota for the hook up. Shared this one with WOLFGANG and inman66... lucky mofos! Not so good at adequately describing things.... but I'll do my best.

Presentation: Bomber (you've seen the pic) - captivating. I acquired this one Tuesday and sat and stared at it every night till Fri., giggling like a little kid.

Poured slowly into a Goblet...

Appearance: Black as black can be. Motor oil, sludge are words that come to mind. A very slight tan head tops it off. Actually, I expected a little thicker head.... but this one is still a 5 on appearance!

Smell: Absolutely hypnotizing. I couldn't quit smelling it! Strong, coffee, chocolate....

Taste: Burnt espresso, coffee, magnificent! Only a slight taste of Chocolate to my surprise... or maybe my palate was just overwhelmed with the coffee taste! Sweet and malty as well.... never tasted anything like it. Strong alcohol taste, but not as strong as I expected given the massive 13% ABV.

Mouth feel: Thick, chewy, perfect consistency.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking, surprisingly. I only put my glass down when I wanted to further admire the appearance. The sheer complexity and perhaps the ABV alone ensures that I wouldn't want 2 glasses back to back though.

An absolute must try IMHO.... after all the hype, I had tremendously high expectations, and I was not disappointed. (1,439 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

A vintage 2008 poured 12/19/12 at a beer tasting amongst friends in Huntsville, AL. Needless to say, this stole the evening. Served in a snifter at around 55 degrees, going off of old notes since I've finally begun writing reviews.

-Pours like a dark viscous sample of dark matter. Not much on the tan head at all and what head there was dissipated quickly. Granted this is a very well aged representation of this beer with a black waxing on the top of the bottle.

-Nose: loved the nose on this thing. Alcohol, coffee, dark fruit, raisins, chocolate. You could definitely pick up complexity on the nose.

-Taste: Yowsa.. what a taste. Definitely a sweeter representation of the imperial stout but very unique. I definitely tasted the sweetness, but tasted raisins.. coffee, dark fruit, dark baker's chocolate. At first I thought dark chocolate Raisenettes, but then you can also taste some grapes, some coffee, this thing is a complex beast. What really surprised me (and I'm willing to bet this is due to the aging), was that there was an incredible amount of balance here. The smoked malt and boozey characteristics began coming through as well as I continued to drink the thing.

-Mouthfeel: just a bunch of creamy goodness. It's definitely a sipper with the complexity, but I loved the mouthfeel of the beer. The even after finishing the beer there is some gooey lacing going on on the side of the snifter.

Overall, I'd say definitely give this a try if you can. Very much on the sweeter end of things in comparison to most in the style, but I enjoyed it. (1,565 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

A - perhaps a shade of brown away from black-hole black, deep khaki head. pours with the consistency of whole milk, perhaps half and half. marvelous

S - dark chocolate, toffee, and a lot of the Intelligentsia coffee that is markedly used in this Chicago-area brew.

T - basically, everything you want from an RIS: coffee, chocolate, roastiness, a twinge of alcohol (something that would suggest 7-8%, but certainly not 13%), gourmet raisins, and perhaps a little dark berry. this is a symphony to behold.

M - thick, but not cloying, like a milkshake that's melted down all the way, with only a bit of carbonation, enough to let you know it's there.

D - for a 13% RIS, i can only again bring up the milkshake analogy. it gives the drinker the amount of pleasure that a perfectly blended shake would give an 11-year-old boy after a Little League game. while it isn't my favorite american stout, it is quite probably the best beer i have ever tasted. (950 characters)

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.