Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,829 | Reviews: 1,249
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Finally decided to crack this one open...

I got 2 bottles courtesy of mynie and todd1, thanks again guys!

This is from 2007.

Pours super thick, black, and with a dark tan head that fades rather quickly.

Aromas are of burnt sugars, molasses, dark baking chocolate and booze.

This is a very flavorful beer, but not overpowering. Smooth dark burnt bitter chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malts, molasses, and some booze flavors. Finish is warm, long, and with a sharp mineral hop bite.

Mouthfeel is great, very thick and full in the mouth.

Drinkability is quite good. Dark Lord lived up to the hype for me. Not the best beer I have had, nor the best Russian Imperial Stout I've had either. But with that said, this is still a top notch beer, that is very deserving of the high scores it receives.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

I haven't written a review in a while...you know how it goes. However, I recently acquired a bottle of Dark Lord from a friend back in Indiana for Christmas (new best friend). He went through all the trouble of waiting in line on Dark Lord day out in Munster, and I got to reap all the benefits. Thanks Konrad! You're a hero among men.

Dark Lord. It's definitely a sippin' beer. A spectacular sippin' beer. I poured it out and you could immediately smell it from across the room. Very strong flavors of oak/chocolate/coffee and fruit and just plain roasted octane. It is a deep dark black color, no opacity, with a brown bubbly head. As if the smell wasn't enough,the taste was just as good and complex - all those flavors that came out in the smell were there in double in the taste.

The only reason this isn't a total 5.0 exceptional in my ratings is because...well, I just don't think I could drink more than the half-a-bottle that I had. It's one of those exceptional things that you can only have a tiny piece of, and only need a tiny piece of, to know that it's special.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

WOW. This beer afflicted pain, in a good way, on everyone of my taste buds. Very strong, I wouldn't be able to drink a 750ml by myself.

A friend brought this over for me to try, and now I have vowed to attended Dark Lord day every year to replenish my stock until I die.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to KAME for trading the bottle a few years back - this led to many great friendships.

2006 vintage.

The beer poured a deep coal black with a nice dark brown head.

The aroma of the beer was full of rich coffee, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and some faint vanilla. Some tobacco in the aroma as well. The alcohol helped carry the aroma brilliantly.

The flavor of the beer was full of intense flavors that transitioned well from one to another. Coffee - Chocolate - Rich roasted malts. The flavors seemed to have melded well in the two years of aging. The hops were there in good presence, but not too intense. The finish had a faint smoky/tobacco note that blended very well with the rest of the flavors.

The mouthfeel was thick, but stopped short of being too heavy. The carbonation seemed dialed in well.

DL lived up to the hype IMO. This beer was rich with complex flavors and well balanced. It seemed to seamlessly cascade from one flavor to the next.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

I got my hands on a bottle in '07 thanks to a friend of mine out in IL. I had been sitting on it for a special occasion so cracked it during the Super Bowl.

As I poured the viscous, used motor oil looking liquid into my glass the only thing I could think is "what have I gotten myself into?" My new-found affinity for darker stouts and porters (and the hype) had me anxiously awaiting the first sip. Lacing was non-existent and to borrow a wine term- this brew has legs. Actually, it doesn't have legs so much as an oily residue.

The taste? Well, it tasted okay. Chocolate, coffee, smoke... the "dark" flavors are all here. Then there is that alcoholic bite, which helps keep the soy and roasty syrup at bay.

The mouthfeel is heavy, oily, and stifling. The flavors linger but are overwhelmed by the heavy consistency. The flavor to me was simply overpowered by the dense liquid. As a result, I can't say I'd ever seek this out again. Worth trying once.

Not really impressed. Succeeding at beyond over-the-top, but not enjoyable to drink. I ended up pouring the last 1/3 of the bottle.

March 2011...
Recently had some 2010, and didn't like it. I will not change my original review, but this beer is grossly overrated, IMO. Not an enjoyable RIS. I'd give it lower marks if I re-reviewed it.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%

a BIG thanks goes out to BradLikesBrew for this 2007 version of FFF Dark Lord.

this beer poured a thick black substance with little head, but who cares? i have never seen a beer pour so thick and glug out of the bottle.

the smell is exceptional. the smell is of molasses, chocolate, toffee, raisins, dates & other pitted fruits. i'm not certain it gets better than this.

the taste is wonderful and consistant with the smell. ultra complex and a bit smokey tasting. little alcohol is present at first, but it settles in quite nicely.

the mouthfeel is thick, oily, full, & sticky.

i loved this beer and as barefootbrewer said below, begs to know if there is another.

as a side note, i have also never seen a beer cling to the side of the glass like this one does. by the time i finished the beer, the entire inside of my glass was coated with a thick molasses like substance that i completely feel like i cold have scraped off and shoved down in a pipe and smoked.

thanks again Brad for this badass beer.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

Dark Lord 2007:

Well, I turned up the bottle and a thick oil oozed out. There was a slight brown head that decided not to stick around. The aroma is a complex blend of caramel, raisin, coffee, alcohol and chocolate - it is seductive. The taste is a mixture of raw molasses, raisins, brown sugar, and just plain old love. This beer sticky with an alcohol bite. It begs the question - is there another.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

I was going to wait till my 1000th karma point, but what the hell, can't wait that long.

Crack open the silver wax sealed bottle to a soft whiz, pours an oily jet black into the Duvel glass with no action at first, then out of the abyss (er, not that one) comes a dark tan head of an inch, slowly creeping back into the shadows, forming a ring around the outside and a hazy fog in the middle. The lacing comes in sheets down the glass, dissolving with small smattering left as relic.

The aroma lets you know something dense is ahead, but mysteriously so, as if it were a magician slowly revealing its tricks. At first, the obvious, deeply roasted malt, patent, brown sugars and molasses, a faint leafy hop, chocolates, ripe dark fruits. Quite lovely, round, and enticing, it beckons you forward.

The taste is more assertive than the nose, just as well developed. I was almost expecting something more vile, evil and contemptuous, as if I were awaiting the sucking up of my soul. However, Dark as this Lord is, its a delightful treat, thick, oozing flavor, bite-able thickness. Lovers of chocolate, beware! this beer will consume you. Then comes the more bittering flavors, the molasses, but also a sweet brown sugar, dark fruits, and a warm rum like alcohol. Then some leafy hop and sweetness comes though the mid-ending before it bitters out with burnt malt, coffee espresso, and a general kick in the nuts. (Sometimes, I laugh at our attempts to review such beers, cause I just reread this, doesn't even come close)

The mouth, as stated, is thick, viscous, oily slick, silky smooth, nicely warming, and utterly exceptional. The alcohol really is a bit sneaky, though, so watch out.

I'm glad I took so long in searching this one out, and also that I didn't wait on it. Hype notwithstanding, this is an excellent beer, well worth the praise and standing. Personally, I have other favorite RIS's, but don't we all.

A mighty large thanks to MuenchenerKindl for sending me this one (and possibly another soon too!).

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Got The Dark Lord a few months ago, and have been staring at it since waiting on the perfect occasion. And today was it, solo style.

Poured into a Stone IRS stem. Sticky, sludge of blackness oozed out of the wax coated bottle neck. The tiny copper-brown head quickly dissolved, leaving a menacing film on top of the sludge.

Aroma of plums, alcohol, port wine with a touch of coffee. Yet to experience aromas like these in a RIS.

Oily first sip...lip coating. Alcohol taste on the tongue with hints of tobacco, smoke, plums and toffee cascading around it. So smooth, yet so oily. The glass contains the sticky, sludgy aftermath. Yet to experience such a complex array of flavors in a RIS.

I rated the drinkability as 'exceptional' given how smooth this 13% RIS is. Very pleasing.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2007 silver wax topped bomber into a Duvel Tulip. Special thanks to Deuane for the hook up on this.

Pours an inky motor oil black with a finger width of burnt tan colored foam. There is almost zero head retention though, as it quickly fizzles out into a thin outside ring and then finally nothing. Just a calm, reflective surface of pitch black. This guy retains in a very different way however, as with each sip he leaves a viscous brown oily residue on the side of the glass, the likes of which I have never seen from another beer. I also have to mention the sediment that was left in the bottom of the bottle. Actually I don't know if sediment is even the right word for it, as it poured out in the glass more like Hersheys Chocolate Syrup and stayed suspended in there for a good bit. This beer just appears beefy and mean and looks like it means serious business. Just awesome looking appearance! The aroma is a huge, and I mean huge nose, of everything that is right about a RIS. Dark chocolate sweetness, burnt coffee, espresso notes, dark fruits, and just a shot of alcohol, the more it warms. I could sit here and sniff this for a good half hour before even taking a sip.

The taste of this brute matches the aroma profile almost to a tee. Chocolate sweetness dominates but once again up rears very pronounced accents of coffee and espresso mixed with dark fruits. It finishes with a combo of burnt bitterness and a warming heat that lingers long after it's left your mouth. The mouthfeel of this beer is like nothing else that I have ever felt, with a monstrously thick and viscous feel that coats the entire mouth. To be honest, as impressed as I am with the body, it also presents my only complaint with the beer, as it's so beefy, it actually helps detract from trying to sense its taste sometimes. Heat is present in each sip but it compliments rather than hinders, adding some much needed warmth to an already awesome feel.

Wow, if ever a beer's name matched its personality, it's the Dark Lord. From its appearance, to its taste, to its body, this is just one dark, angry, powerful mother of a beer that takes what is capable in an RIS to a whole new level. While definitely a steady sipper, it's still an unforgettable beer drinking experience.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Big thanks to Kegatron for sharing this bad boy with me.

Pours a thick, motor oil viscous and black color with very little burnt wood tan head, no retention, no lacing, but there is a grease layer, beautiful. Bottom of bottle has a chocolate syrup type sediment, which oddly enough, made an evil face in my glass, must be the Dark Lord himself. Smells of burnt embers, milk chocolate, baking cocoa, coffee, and dark fruits. Lots of flavors going on here. Taste starts off like a creamy chocolate milkshake with some black cherries and a touch of semi-sweet chocolate on top, but just as you're sitting down to a nice dessert milkshake, you're reminded that you're drinking pure evil, and with an assault of coffee and espresso, you're brought back to reality. Lots of heat as it comes to room temperature. Creamy and smooth, any fuller in body and it would break the glass. Only downside, the alcohol presence as it warms takes away from some of the taste. One of the best beers out there, and while some may say it's overhyped, it deserves its honors. If only it were more readily available, I'd drink this stuff as much as possible.

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Vintage '07 bomber into a red wine glass.

A: Blood red and murky. It pours absoutely still with no head at all. It really looks more like a red wine than a beer. And somehow I just can't shake the feeling that it's a glass of blood. It just looks so totally evil. Hints of brown.

S: Cherries and leather, mostly.

T: Steak?! I was not prepared for that in the least. It seems fitting, somehow that the most elusive and diabolical of all Imps tastes like red meat. It also has a pronounced cherry flavor as well as a late-palate leathery dryness. There is no hint of alcohol at all, let alone 13 points worth. This beer is truly outstanding.

M: This beer has perfect mouthfeel. It is not just motor-oil -thick, but it has this sludge-like murk factor that I haven't found anywhere else.

D: Given the incredibly high alcoholic content of this beer, it is nothing short of amazing that it is as drinkable as it is. However, it is also so rich, intensely flavor and on the sweet side that I am glad I was able to share the bomber with a very good friend.

A ground-breaking and incredibly unique interpretation of the style. Excellent, and well worth seeking out.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Doing my 100th review in style.

2007 vintage Dark Lord Russian Style Imperial Stout, silver wax.

a: Deep black body allows no light to penetrate. Has a thin dark brown head that fades swiftly. The thick body leaves no lacing, but seems to be staining my glass with the brown syrup it leaves on the edge.

s: The complex, entoxicating aroma includes chocolate, dark figs and molasses, its out of this world.

t: The front is sweet figs and molasses, the finish is bitter chocolate, coffee, maybe even kahlua. For such a bold and robust flavor, it is surprisingly balanced, no overbearing sweetness or bitterness, not too rich. The flavors are strong but polished. Glad I let this one hangout for 9 months before cracking it open, can't wait to see how this tastes in a year or five.

m: Thick. Maple syrup thick. It doesn't coat your tongue with chocolate malt, it replaces your tongue with a chocolate-covered coffee bean. I think I could have thai for dinner and I would still taste nothing but chocolate. No carbonation to speak of, as it should be. Needless to say, dark lord is a full bodied brew.

d: The booze is there, I don't think you can hide a 13% abv. That being said, it is remarkably subdued. If my gut could handle all the calories, my brain could justify the extravagance, and my liver could take the punishment I would drink several of these (okay, maybe split several).

Any good review of Dark Lord must address the hype that this beer has created. It is a great beer. No question. Is it the best beer in America? I don't think so. I don't think there is such a thing. It is the best RIS I have had, but I have not had Kate or Darkness or Black Albert. Once you get to the top beers in most categories, I think its just up to personal preference/expectations. Would I attend Dark Lord Day to get more of it? I will certainly try.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to BeerBeing for one of the most talked about beers on BA. I've been sitting on this one for a while, tonight is as good a night as any to pop the top.

2007 silver waxed top. Poured into a snifter. Allowed to warm up a bit after pulling it out of the fridge.

Pours an absolute midnight onyx black with not a speck of light shining through. For how wide the snifter is, the one finger dark tan head is very impressive although it does die down a bit quicker than I had hoped. Good, thick stickiness left on the sides after tilting the glass from side to side. First smell I get is mostly dark fruits. Big fig, raisin, and date aromas with a strong roasted barley background. Lots of molasses, caramel malt, and brown sugar sweetness in the nose as well. Unfortunately there is a fairly strong alcohol presence, but with all the other wonderful smells going on with this brew I can't complain. I was expecting more in terms of smokiness with this one, but the sweetness definitely dominates the nose overall. Well then, I guess the charred aspect comes into play with the flavor. Up front is a strong smokey sting combined with an almost raspberry like sweetness. Big dark chocolate malt and roasted barley midway through. There is a slight hop bite hidden, but noticable. Aftertaste is wood-like with a carmelized almond flavor, very pleasant. Huge thick and chewy mouthfeel, just how it should be. For how in your face the alcohol was in the nose, the lack of it on the tongue is quite nice. Damn good RIS, I look forward to seeing how it compares to Kate.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Ringing in the new year with an '07 from DLD.
Poured at 50º into a 3F imperial pint. Dark mocha tinged foam swells to the rim, around three fingers high. The slow cascade effect is pretty impressive as well as the high density of the head. Over time, the foam diminishes, but the first impression is spectacular.

Sweet aroma of prune, raisin, bittersweet bakers chocolate, slightly milky. More smoke or char would be nice, but this works, it's not boozy at all. Very desserty.

Plenty of complexity, layers of Belgian chocolate, plums, raisin, molasses, very slight residual hint of coffee in the sweet, roasty finish that lasts for a few minutes.

Rich, sticky, and lip-smacking. The body is huge and fudgy, and the extra long finish is perfect for a RIS of this fortitude.

One can finish a bottle, but it's a very rare treat. Just like eating that 2nd or 3rd piece of chocolate cheesecake....

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

Happy New Year!

2007 vintage. Silver wax.

Poured a very thick dense black. Minimal brown head falls quickly. No lacing to speak of. Some sludge made its way out on the final pour. (But nothing to complain about.) Aromas of dark chocolate covered cherries, tootsie rolls, burnt marshmallows, hint of black liquorish, booze and strong roasted malt. Big bold flavors of rich chocolate, coffee, dark cherries, burnt brown sugar, deep roasted malt, and a hint of booze. Very complex in taste. Mouth feel is thick and fudgey. Low carbonation. This dark brew is extremely dense and sticky. Coated my glass with a brownish film. A 22 oz serving was a bit much for me. Drinkability wasn’t as good toward the end. The booze was hidden well, but I found it getting way too sweet and syrupy after awhile. This would be a great one to share. Recommend to be enjoyed with fellow enthusiasts! CHEERS!

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

2007 Silver Wax

A - Pure black with a creamy 2 fingers deep brown head. This pours the blackest of any beer I have seen.

S - Dark, very rich chocolate, molasses, espresso, dark fruits & anise.

T - Coffee, rich fine chocolate, caramel, toffee, deeply roasted malt and molasses.

M - Thick and chewy. Borderline syrupy but not quite. Low carbonation and the alcohol is hidden very well.

D - I wasn't a big fan of the 2005 and 2006 Dark Lords but the 2007 has made me a believer.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Since I joined this site, this has always been the number one beer I have wanted to try. Now I finally have a bottle sitting in front of me thanks to akorsak. I was originally planning on opening this tomorrow night for new years, but since I will be working, now is good enough for me. Had some trouble peeling the silver wax from the top of the bottle. Once I finally pried the cap off, I poured it in to my Rapscallion sniffer glass at I would say slightly colder than cellar temperature. Comes out of the bottle very thick, and lush looking. Not much head to be spoken of, but there was a nice ring around the sides of the glass, and some beautiful red hues on the side. In the smell was a whole range of different aromas. The most dominant was rich fudge, then some slightly bitter coffee, some fruity alcohol notes, and a distinct raisin character. Taste had it all...Notes of port, cherries covered in dark chocolate, fudge, molasses, caramel, and a slight metallic twang in the finish. I was surprised to not find much coffee in the flavor, as I understand that they use coffee in this brew. Many reviews have stated that this beer is incredibly viscous and almost like motor oil. I would say it has more of a slick mouthfeel that coats the palate, and leaves a nice bitter, and like I mentioned before, somewhat metallic aftertaste. I liked the fact that this is a big stout, but not necessarily a meal in a bottle like many others. The drinkability on this one is what impressed me most of all. Where the fuck is the alcohol? I mean, I can feel it after having one small glass, but it is nowhere to be found in the flavor or body. That being said, this is dangerous stuff, as it goes down smooth and far too easy. Okay, so I guess my final verdict is that this is indeed the best beer I have had to date. Every iota of hype surrounding this beer is well deserved. Now all I have to do is convince a few of my friends to make the trek with me in the Spring to make it out to Dark Lord Day 08. Cheers and Happy New Year!

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to bubba87 for bringing this super treat over to our last brewing day.

The beer looks amazing coming out of the bottle! It was poured into a Sam Adams tasting glass. The beer was as thick as motor oil. The beer poured with no head at all. It was super dark brown and completely opaque. As you rolled the beer around in the glass it left a dark film that lasted for about four seconds. It looked sweet and dangerous.

The smell is complex with roasty scents mixed with aromas of dark chocolate, figs, prunes, and a bit of a sherry-like alcohol smell. The taste is a mixture of dark chocolate, raisins, prunes, molasses, and coffee. The alcohol is well hidden for a beer of this strength.

The moutfeel is the fullest I've ever had... nice.

This is very drinkable for a beer of this magnitude. It is definitely a "sipper" - and quite a treat.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased @ Dark Lord Day 2007

I finally got to finish off the last of my stash on Xmas Eve... a gift only I could give myself. Poured into a pint glass, I feel as if I'm under an old Mustang, letting the oil drip out into my glass. It has a dark, dark brown head that is gone in a whisper.

Smell is of coffee, chocolate, molasses and some fruits. Quite complex, in fact there's more going on here than I expected but I want to get to my first gulp.

Chocolatey, fruity, caramel, coffee. It's all here an in perfect harmony. A huge chocolate/coffee uppercut hits you first... but if you let it linger like a stolen kiss, the fruits come calling. Grapes, plums and cherries make a welcome appearance.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and extremely drinkable for its high ABV.

This is a no-brainer. Make your plans for DLD '08. Worth the hype and then some.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Thanks to Deuane for the bottle.

Pours a nice 1 1/2 finger head with decent lacing that fades fairly quickly Thick, dark brown color. Very viscous looking.

Smell is of pale and caramel malts. This is followed by mint, raisin, and black licorice. I also notice some chocolate malts and some roasted malt undertones. Hops are faint in the backround.

Taste is delightful. The flavors blend wonderfully. The chocolate malts are dominant with a significant balance from caramel malts. The hop bitterness isn't overly assertive at all and is just enough to balance out the thick syrupy sweetness of this beer. Oh man, yummy. Not that boozy for a 13% abv beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

For a 13% abv beer, you can't get more drinkable

2.93/5  rDev -31.5%

2007, silver wax vintage. Obtained in a trade from nflmvp (thanks!).

A: (4) Dark, oily, and thick as can be. I haven't seen a thicker beer pour from a bottle ever. Not even older viscosity. No head present at all.

S: (3.5) There is enough chocolate and sweet malt in the smell to make me somewhat enjoy it, but it doesn't blow me away. There is a sort of sourish smell, maybe like soy, that is somewhat off-putting to me.

T: (2.5) Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt (though not ridiculously roasty or anything) and the slightest coffee aftertaste. Has a distinct tanginess to it which I don't like at all.

M: (4.5) Smooth as can be. No carbonated burn or abrasiveness. I think it left a half inch thick coating through my mouth and entire GI tract.

D: (2) Didn't like it at all. Didn't want to finish solely based on the taste, I just didn't like it. This is one of the few Russian Imperial stouts I've had that I didn't like.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

Shared with dertbert who acquired it via trade from bradlikesbrew.
2007 Edition.

A - Best looking beer I've ever seen. Poured out an opaque, jet black color. It had an extremely bubbly, caramel colored head. It didn't leave lace, but it left a residue that was difficult to wash off.

S - The aroma was dark chocolate and caramel. A candy-like sweetness.

T - A nice smooth maltiness with great dark chocolate flavors. Also, a nice blend of caramel malts. It did have a touch of grassy hops.

M - It had a warm alcohol presence. It was velvety smooth. A very heavy-bodied beer.

D - This is very outstanding. I understand the hype. The flavors were amazing. But, hands down, it was the best looking dark beer I've ever seen.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle Inspection: 2006 Vintage. Gold wax takes some work to get through. 13% abv. lets you know this one doesn’t play.

Aroma: Dark, almost bourbon barrel notes with hints of charred wood. Deep roasted barley and booze. I’m reminded of Triple Bock, but without any soy sauce, just deep, dark, heavy, and alcoholic.

Appearance: BLACK with swirls of smoky head.

Flavor: Rich roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark fermented fruit, plum, grape, with a sweetness like maple syrup in the back end.

Mouthfeel: Very dry finish after a thick coating of the tongue. The medium body seems strangely light given the taste and appearance; I guess the alcohol thins it out a bit.

Overall Impression: Quite the experience. Worth the hype? Hard to say, but very enjoyable.

Thanks to chadspivey for his very generous sharing of the experience.

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Got in a trade with czoch75 back in May and have been cellaring till now per FFF's recommendation. Poured from a 22oz bottle with a silver wax seal and cool graphics into a pint glass. I have to agree with other reviews that it pours like motor oil or thick syrup. It was pitch black even against a light. It had just a tiny hint of head and that was gone in a blink of an eye. The aroma was strong on alcohol and dark fruits at first. Got some strong smoke after a couple minutes but then that faded into the back. By the end, alcohol was the most dominant. The taste was also dominated by alcohol. Very reminiscent of cough medicine. There was some sweetness at the start of each drink but then the alcohol overpowered it. I've had several RIS lately and really liked several but this one is too much. For me, they need to scale back the alcohol taste and add back in some more traditional RIS flavors. For me, this one is overhyped and not worth recommending unless you can easily get it. Disappointed is best way to sum it up. (3, NA, ML, N)

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.