Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,820 | Reviews: 1,245
2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

2009 vintage bottle. 3rd time having it.

Pours nearly still. Thick and viscous. Very dark in appearance. The low carbonation helps the mouthfeel and flavor but leaves the presentation very one dimensional for something that isn't even barrel aged.

Smells sweet and boozy. Big roasted malt flavor surrounds that sweetness. The original soy sauce flavor/aroma seemed to have mellowed out in the more recent bottles I've had as opposed to the bottle I had last year.

Taste is very sweet. Not as boozy as you'd think. This is a sugary cloying liquid. Like eating thinned out molasses or unfermented high gravity wort.

This beer usually ruins my stomach with all the sugar and booze. Definitely an extreme beer that I appreciate but it's not really for me.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

We opened a 2006 and 2007. My review is focused on 2007.

This pours thick like oil and completely black. There's a nice tan head but that disappears quickly leaving a thin ring around the glass.

This is a BIG beer - incredibly complex with a lot going on. I smell vanilla, roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, coffee, licorice, dark fruits like raisins, etc.

Very low carbonation but very thick and sweet with a medium to full body. It's smoothness and strong flavor really hides the alcohol but is flawed because of that overt sweetness.

This beer is good and worth getting to put aside. It needs aging time.

---

2.76/5  rDev -35.5%

2007 silver wax. pours a viscous brown shade of black with no head. this brew stains the inside of the snifter! aromas of chocolate, dark fruit/prunes/black raisins, vanilla, scorch, heavily roasted grains and molasses... smells an awful lot like a baltic porter should! very dark tasting... lots of grain, ash, licorice, tar, prunes and a touch of umami. just dreadfully sweet. tastes a whole lot like an imperial baltic porter?! beyond full bodied. thick, chewy and coats the tongue... (high score given because it resembles a baltic... my favorite style!)...8/4/6/2/13/3.3

2008 black wax. viscous blackish pour with some orange highlights in the thin brown head. smells kinda like sam adams triple bock only it doesn't make me want to vomit... maple wood smoke, soy, bacon, maple syrup, chocolate and all around sludge. really sweet on the palate to the point my teeth hurt. flavors of vanilla, chocolate, salt, booze and lots of cloying residual/sugars/molasses. hot finish. heavy body with a cloying thick mouth feel... 8/4/5/2/12=3.1

orange 2005 bottle via footy sampled in 2009 at bill and wendy's. viscous (i'm seeing a trend) burgundy black with no head. the nose has some baltic qualities... licorice, molasses and malt powder followed by chocolate, roast and a heap of floral alcohol. the palate is chokingly thick, rich and still way too sweet. ashiness is noted along with the aroma characteristics. cloying and hard to drink....7/4/5/2/12/3.0

gold 2006 sampled next to 2005 in 2009 at bill and wendy's. pours evil with cold maple syrup consistency (even thicker than the 05). it smells and tastes like a rotting grain silo... thick and gross. 5/4/4/2/12/2.7

2.78/5  rDev -35%

2010 verision re-review. I had this at dld day but i was pretty hammered. I figured the Lost finale was a good time to break out a new one.

I drank this from the bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a jet oil black, hardly any brown with a only a little light tan head. Disappointing a little.

The aroma and taste are super awesome and sweet. The malts show off tons of vanilla, but its so fine its not overly sweet it just shows off so perfectly. Light roasty coffee on the finish with a slight alcohol burn. Hides the 15% extremly well. Super easy to drink.

The 2010 is clearly superior to the 2009. Its really awesome, super easy to drink. New ratings are the 2010.

2009 white
I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours motor oil black with hardly any head at all. No carbonation very dark color.

The aroma is very strong of vanilla, coffee and cherries.

The taste is complex with a start of cherries, moves onto vanilla, and coffee.

The taste lingers for several seconds and for its abv its very drinkable.

2009 was 4.0, 4.5, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0.

2.78/5  rDev -35%

2011 bottle into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to therealnomayo for this one.

Pours an inky, oil black. A quarter-finger light tan head quickly recedes but leaves some very nice lacing. After the head dissipates, there's a thin film atop the body. It looks like an oil slick, or perhaps black ice.

Quite a busy aroma. A huge blast of prunes and other dark fruits. Lots of alcohol, it's remarkably boozy. Brown sugar and, as it warmed, an overwhelming smell of molasses. The nose on this beer is very, very sweet. In many ways, it actually reminds me of a barleywine.

Molasses totally dominates the taste of this beer. There are raisins and prunes in abundance, almost like an amped-up RIS. Some spices at work that almost make this taste like figgy pudding. Plenty of alcohol, but it's not overpowering and this beer isn't particularly boozy. A lingering bitterness and a little bit of roast, but I can't really taste any coffee. Notes of brown sugar. With all of these flavors competing for attention, it's pretty incredible that molasses remains so powerful. This is cloyingly sweet, not unlike grenadine.

Very low carbonation, syrup-like in consistency. And yet, oddly enough, it feels fairly thin. Paradoxical as it sounds, this beer is both enormous and light, and I actually think some added carbonation would increase its drinkability.

I'm not sure that Dark Lord truly merits a "C-" rating, as it is anything but average. However, at this stage, this is a huge and unwieldy beer that just seems out of control. This could really use some more time in the bottle, both for the alcohol heat to die down and the flavors to integrate. At this point, it's disjointed and almost a chore to drink.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

The highly anticipated suckling of the lord commenced last night. '09 bottle enjoyed with some friends during a homebrew session. Good times and this was everyone's first taste of this highly sought after gem.

Pours a deep, black motor oil color. Swirling around the glass leaves a coating of what looks like the iodine sanitizer I use for brewing. Very minimal head in my Brooklyn snifter.

Smells outstanding. Full of chocolaty goodness with raisins and plum notes.

Hits the tongue with alcohol at first then the sweetness hits. Damn is this beer sweet. Some molasses in there with a little bit of caramel. Not what I was expecting at all. Frankly I was pretty disappointed. With the smell being as intense as it is I was expecting a little more complexity. Mouthfeel is as thick as it comes. Chewy and totally takes over your mouth.

All in all, I don't think this beer deserves the hype. I'll put some age on the other bottle I have and maybe my opinion will change.

2.8/5  rDev -34.6%

2011 version, almost exactly a year old.

A: Pours black with a small milk chocolate colored head. Leaves almost no lacing.

S: Smells strongly of molasses, coffee and... soy sauce? That's interesting. Hard to get anything past that once you hit the soy sauce.

T: Loaded with molasses and coffee up front. Start to get a little chocolate and then the soy sauce kicks in with a vengeance. Very sweet on the back end with tons of molasses and that lingering soy sauce flavor. Overpowering sweet. Doesn't really even have any stout-like quality. It's like an iced english barleywine that someone poured soy sauce into.

M: Thick, heavy, cloying.

O: This beer is depressing. I have been wanting to try this for a long time and it's just a mess of pure soy sauce. It actually makes me cringe when I sip it once the soy sauce kicks in. The other flavors aren't too bad, you can tell this had the makings of a great beer. I'm not sure if the soy sauce is an off flavor or if it's part of the molasses or what. Can't be a bad bottle since other people mention it now that I read the reviews. I've had worse, but not much worse. Undrinkable due to the soy sauce and the overpowering cloying sweetness. This is coming from a guy who just gave Creme Brulee a rave review a few weeks ago.

2.85/5  rDev -33.4%

Updated December 2012 review: I like Dark Lord, when it is actually good. I have opened five bottles of 2012 Dark Lord and one, one bottle was good. The rest were apple bombs...tasted like eating, well drinking, a granny smith apple. Enough is enough...I had to modify my review...in the taste and the overall nastyness of this beer....yuck!

May 2012 review: WOW!!!! Whoa! this stuff is crazy good. Just opened my first bottle of 2012 DL, red wax top. I am going to drink and enjoy the entire bottle myself, all 22oz of it...lol. Will share other bottles with friends later, but I need to enjoy the entire 22oz to properly conduct and accurate rating and correct review of this beer. Poured into a Westmalle chalice at room temperature.

A: The pour is the brownest black there is. A small, dark brown head quickly forms and then just as fast vanishes and bubbles away. As I am pouring it into the glass, appears to swirl around with much more of a thickness, much more viscosity than water. Stays foamy around the edges with a nice brown rim.

S: Dominant with a coffee smell right off the nose with hints of oil, tar, molasses, figs and syrup (seriously not making this up...I got a full glass right here).

T: Thick, thick, thick! This has got to be one fo the thickest beers I have tasted. It is so rich it is actually going to be tough to polish off the bottle due to the richness of this beer. Probably a full days worth of calories, vitamins, minerals and spinach in here!!! Taste is sweet and smooth with absolutely no trace of alcohol or any kind of nasty aftertaste.

M: Again, thick, creamy and smooth; really rich and tasty.

O: One of the more complex stouts I have had. Very rich, lots of flavors, really nice complexity. Super stout. Really nice...

***Post tasting note: this is way to rich to drink a bottle by yourself...get a friend or two to enjoy with you!! I did finish the whole bottle...whew!

2.89/5  rDev -32.5%

2007 bottle enjoyed in 2009. Very dark brown and totally opaque even to the strongest light. Sadly, micro head that's gone in a flash.
Smells of RIS - deep, rich coffee and chocolate, heavy sweetness from those malts, a little prune and moldy dried fruit.
Tastes very similar to the smell. Some strange smokey/bitter unpleasant aftertaste. i'm glad I'm drinking this 2 years on 'cause i bet that smokey/bitter taste is really overpowering when it's young! Color me not impressed - I prefer something with some balance to it. The more I drink of it the less I like it. Weird tangy aftertaste. I can't believe I'm saying this, but i'm going to pour the rest of this out.
Mouth is. um, weird. Maybe a touch on the syrupy side but that, at least, is balanced out with bitterness and other things. But that's not the problem. The problem is that it feels like there are pureed prunes in there - chunky bits. Weird. Bleh.
If I could get this easily I'd probably drink it. Wait in line for it? Um. No. I don't think so.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Yellow-waxed 22 ounce bottle, 2011 vintage. Split my bottle with five other friends into miniature snifter glasses.

A: On the pour, dark brown liquid streams out looking thinner and lighter in color than I expected. I don't get that "motor oil" look I like with big stouts. In the glass, the body is much darker, black even with virtually no head. A thin mocha ring stick around and leaves rather weak lacing.

S: Roasted coffee beans, alcohol esters, chocolate liqueur and some unripe dark fruits - plums and figs. It's an interesting blend of flavors that are seemingly combined fairly well. Nothing sticks out but the alcohol notes are pretty powerful, evidence of where the taste could be headed.

T: Simply put, this is pretty god awful. The palate is washed with loads of cooked vegetable flavors. Celery, carrots, spinach and potatoes are in the worst incarnation of these otherwise good vegetables, by showing up in the taste. This needs some serious time in the bottle. The alcohol notes are completely gross and overpowering, increasingly so as the beer warms. The linger is dry, chalky and a bit bitter from so coffee bean elements.

M: A little too carbonated as it stands right now, not as creamy as I would like it either. Disappointed.

Considering I have 3 more bottles of this vintage in the cellar, I hope time helps this beer out tremendously, which is the general consensus I get with the Dark Lord vintages. This was pretty terrible fresh but will obviously revisit in a few years.

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

22oz bottle (2011) into a snifter. Pours a deep brown w/ a fizzy minimal head that dissipates almost instantly, leaving behind a razor-thin collar.

Aroma is smoky and bourbony - surprising because I don't think regular DL is aged in bourbon barrels - with hints of molasses, vanilla, and chocolate. Pretty strong booze smell going on too. Overall smells pretty interesting.

Taste is all over the place, whoa. Where to begin? Dark rum, soy sauce, chocolate syrup, flat Pepsi, Robitussin, dark cherries, some kind of liqueur... a lingering aftertaste that keeps punishing me long after the swallow. Cloying and sweet, tastes like pure insulin.

Mouthfeel is sticky and heavy, coating the palate and refusing to let go. A numbing alcohol sensation on the tongue that I usually only get with hard liquor.

Overall I have to admit, I am disappointed. This is a poorly crafted RIS. Probably one of the worst stouts I have ever had, and certainly the worst stout that gets the whole waxed cap, hype train treatment. I almost get the sense that I'm the butt of a cruel joke, and Three Floyds is laughing at me right now. I find it almost impossible to believe that people actually buy tickets and stand in line to spend money on this beer. Never again.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

I have had several bottles and years of this. Ones with some age, and others fresh. So this is kind of a composite review of my overall experience and opinion.

A: Pours a viscous and opaque black color. A one finger tan head forms and sticks around for a minute. The foam eventually recedes to a ring. No lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, charred wood, brown sugar, molasses, soy sauce, hot fusel alcohol.
T: Follows the nose with a ton of sweetness. Over barring and cloying in that matter. Molasses, soy sauce, and alcohol. Way to much residual sugars. I have had the same experience with every bottle and vintage I have tried.
M/D: A huge full body that is low on the carbonation. Thick, syrupy, oily and way to viscous to be enjoyable. Harsh alcohol all the way. Mix the viscosity, alcohol, over barring sweetness, and I am not a fan.

I really have been underwhelmed by just about every incarnation of this hallowed beer that I have tried. Just way to...BIG with no resemblance of balance or nuance. Not something I would recommend.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

22oz bottle, black wax, served at just about room temperature.

Pours a wicked black color, a small dark brown head forms and quickly dissipates to the edges of the glass. Lots of sweetness in the nose, molasses, metallic dark malts, soy sauce and alcohol. Round and full bodied in the mouth, good carbonation. Rich malt sweetness with a subtle but balancing bitterness and an underlying saltiness that becomes very off putting after a few sips. A powerhouse of a stout. This is not my first encounter with the dark lord, i must say i've never been a fan and i dont quite understand the hype around this one.

2.92/5  rDev -31.8%

Bottle courtesy of Tpaliga (2006 vintage drank in April 2007): Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small foamy head with average retention. Aroma of honey and sweet malt is overwhelming and somewhat interesting. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some alcohol hint. Body is full and has a creamy and oily texture like I have never seen or tasted before. Low carbonation is to be expected but the alcohol really comes out and I didn’t enjoy this part. Some subtle vanilla and roasted malt were noticeable but were for most part covered by sweetness which kind of got gross after half a glass. This beer kind of reminded me of Avery Meph with the dominating sweetness and alcohol. I’m glad that I finally had the chance to try this highly coveted beer even thought I am not the biggest IS fanatic out there but unfortunately I wasn’t fond of it in the end.

2.92/5  rDev -31.8%

"Envenomed, I am the blackest incarnation." - Black Dahlia Murder

2007 vintage. I tied to save this for my 500th review but couldn't quite hold out. What a great Christmas present!

Thick, abyssal black--think tar pit. I forced a thin yellowish bone marrow colored head that stayed for all of 15 seconds. I guess that's as good as it'll get considering this is almost 3 years old and it being as thick as this beer is. Receded into 3 tiny skim islands that at one point lined up in a triangle so an overhead view of my glass looked like a bowling ball. If I swirl Dark Lord around in my glass it stains an iodine color like it's wearing sunglasses. Just a little bit of foam would have been nice though.

Smells of licorice and a medicinal cream vanilla. Dark fruit that borders on cough syrup and sodden wood. Blackstrap molasses and faint solvent alcohol.

Holy viscous viscosity! Mouthfeel so thick I can almost sculpt it like clay with my tongue. Chocolate and dark fruit, like a cherry cordial. Licorice and milk chocolate finish.

A super sweet desert beer that I couldn't do more than a few sips. I split a bottle between 3 people and ended giving mine away halfway through. Where it excels in mouthfeel it really lacks in balance of any sort and I found that the heavy, fruity chocolate became obnoxious quickly.

2.93/5  rDev -31.5%

2007, silver wax vintage. Obtained in a trade from nflmvp (thanks!).

A: (4) Dark, oily, and thick as can be. I haven't seen a thicker beer pour from a bottle ever. Not even older viscosity. No head present at all.

S: (3.5) There is enough chocolate and sweet malt in the smell to make me somewhat enjoy it, but it doesn't blow me away. There is a sort of sourish smell, maybe like soy, that is somewhat off-putting to me.

T: (2.5) Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt (though not ridiculously roasty or anything) and the slightest coffee aftertaste. Has a distinct tanginess to it which I don't like at all.

M: (4.5) Smooth as can be. No carbonated burn or abrasiveness. I think it left a half inch thick coating through my mouth and entire GI tract.

D: (2) Didn't like it at all. Didn't want to finish solely based on the taste, I just didn't like it. This is one of the few Russian Imperial stouts I've had that I didn't like.

2.93/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2011 22oz bomber shared by inebriatedjoker.

A: Pours black in the middle with plenty of ruby hues around the edges letting light through. Tiny head that quickly fades. Fairly impressive to look at.

S: Whoa! Anise, chocolate, licorice, toffee, raisin, coffee, molasses, and last but definitely not least, ALCOHOL.

T: Certainly boozy and syrupy. Big on the sugar, licorice, tobacco, and molasses. All of the flavors come together to give the impression of dark fruit complexities similar to a grand cru. Coffee and raisins become more prominent once warm, along with an almost walnut shell nutiness. Not a lot of focus, just a lot of flavors.

M: Thick and sticky like Aunt Jemima got into wow factor beers, you can almost chew it. Not much carbonation.

O: I wasn't dying to have this again but I promised I would. This seems like something that is just huge for the sake of being huge. Nothing really pleasant about drinking this beer for my mouth or stomach. We could barely finish this among 4 people, I ended up pouring my last bit into the sink. My least favorite from FFF so far.

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

2010 Vintage thanks to J47paco

Look: Pitch black and totally opaque with a 1/4 inch tan head and no real retention

Smell: Hints of dark chocolate molasses and fudge

Taste: I am not sure why everyone praises the flavor of this beer because the beer is a sweet sugary mess. It is so sweet that it makes it hard to drink. I hate overly sweet stouts and this beer is that way. I will say that for 15% there was very little alcohol notes maybe due to a bit of aging.

Mouthfeel: The beer is very very think and low carbonation

Overall: To be honest this is not that great of a beer the flavors are just such a train wreck

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

Reviews of 2008 and 2009...averaged out.

2008 bottle.

pours a motor oil like thick black. with a nice espresso like thin head.
smells of heavily roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark chocolate. Very complex.
taste is very similar to the nose roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark chocolate, caramel. A very complex and intense beer. The mouthfeel is ridiculous, so think almost milkshake like.
A wonderful beer.

2009 bottle

Appearace sucked...poured into a glass, little to no head,
thin looking body.
Aroma started out ok, some chocolate, roasted malts, then
i was hit with the nail polish remover, acetic acid and
sweaty towel. Not really what i was expecting from this
bottle.
Taste was pretty God awful. Burnt meat from a gas grill,
vinegar, and rotten coffee grounds. Im very shocked, i
think i may have gotten a bad bottle, but i have been told
by a few people that they have had similar experiences.
Mouthfeel also sucked...thin, boring.
Drinkability dumped over half the bottle...

2.97/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2013 vintage.

Pours thick opaque brown with a tan head and decent lacing. Smells sweet, with light hints of dark fruit and molasses. Taste is sickly sweet, with no malt backbone or body. No trace of coffee or chocolate, just sweetness, almost reminiscent of hoisin or soy sauce. No bitterness at all, very one note, and not a pleasant one. Coats the mouth and the tongue thoroughly, flavors linger for a long time in the mouth after swallowing. Is pleasantly thick however.

Very disappointed by this beer, had high hopes for it, especially considering the rave reviews and other good Three Floyds stouts I've had it the past. Overly sweet, no balance.

2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

22 oz green waxed bottle, 2010 vintage. Served in a snifter.

A - Looks like motor oil. Leaves huge legs on the glass. Syrupy with about 1 finger of dark brown head.

S - Burnt vanilla cookies, some brown sugar and chocolate,.

T - Very sugary and a big kiss of vanilla flavors. A good chocolate base, but nothing really special. If you like sickeningly sweet malty beverages this one is probably for you. It's way too sweet.

M - Very oily with and upper medium body. Low carbonation, but a nice soft texture.

O - A very sweet RIS with a bunch of extra sugar added. I don't know what all the hype is about It's ok, but not great. Taste like sweet soy sauce.

2.99/5  rDev -30.1%

'12 bottle received via trade. When I first heard of this beer it was in the top 3 of BA, so it's been a long time want of mine. I was warned it was sweet and sweet it is. I assume if I had had this before Black Tuesday I would appreciate the sweetness a bit more. But a beer of this size needs barrel aging to curb the overbearing depth of malt. My bottle was slightly oxidized so I docked it more based on that. I'll see if the demand of a BA DL dies down and try my luck then.

3.01/5  rDev -29.7%

2012 vintage shared by metempsychosis on 18 August 2012

Appearance:
Black as your ex-wife's heart with a very thin tan head

Smell:
Sugary, chocolatey, fruity

Taste:
Very cloying, hard to find much else to taste beyond the sweetness. Surprisingly not much alcohol taste to it for such a young big beer.

Mouthfeel:
Full body, but little carbonation, quite sticky feeling

Overall:
I wanted to like this beer, but its cloying taste was too much; I had to force myself to finish the 3oz glass I had. The sweetness overpowered everything in the brew and it was too one-dimensional because of it.

3.02/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to DavoleBomb for including this 2009 vintage...

Pours a deep, dark brown, near black. The creamy brown head comes only with a very aggressive pour. Scent is relatively mild for such a big beer, hints of dark fruit, smoke, char, soy sauce, chocolate and coffee present, but not strong enough for a beer this big. First sip taken a bit below cellar temp, very mild with all the qualities of scent. As it warms, notes of chocolate, char, port wine and soy sauce become much more aggressive. By the time its at room temp, the soy sauce overpowers. No hints of powerful ABV in scent or taste. While the beer doesnt cling to the glass, the mouthfeel is something i may have never experienced before, almost like a pureed oatmeal with silky smooth yet somewhat grainy qualities. Overall this beer is very unique, but my notes above should pinpoint why i cant give this a completly glowing review.

I have sampled every year since '06 but this is the only bottle where ive had more than 4oz. My rankings are '07, '06, '08, '09.

3.02/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Smells and taste like soy sauce...no thanks

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.