Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Reviews: 1,206 | Hads: 3,870
4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

First of the '07 batch, opened to celebrate beer, life, and masters degrees. Thanks to Janice and aforbes10. Probably not quite ready yet, but hey, I can always re-review it after it's had the proper aging.
Pours out a super opaque black with dark brown fringes. Sludgy, syrupy, chunky. Dark brown head looks nice but fades quickly. The lacing has chunks in it. This is some serious beer. Nose is sweet strong malts and alcohol, with campfire and coffee. Complex and nice. Taste is sweet sugarcane smoked malts, oak, plums, vanilla, and spicy bourbon. Alcohol is very well hidden. Exceptional.
Mouthfeel is good. Certainly way above average, but probably the weak point of the beer. Doesn't taste as thick as it looks. Drinkability is surprisingly and dangerously high.

I can't wait to try this again in 7 months or so.

*EDIT*
I've now had a few different batches of Dark Lord over the years. The 2007 (silver) batch tasted in late 2008 (about 16 months of bottle conditioning) was the single best beer I've ever had. I also had the 2007 more recently (2013) and it was pretty muddled and not nearly as good. Some of the newer batches, like 2012, don't seem quite as good to me. That being said, every time I've ever had Dark Lord it was exceptional - if a one-year old 2007 is the pinnacle of beer, a 2012 is still in the top 5% of beers. (1,343 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

Purchased at DLD '07. Poured into a tulip.

A: Motor oil thick. Black as night with a nice tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing. The most interesting part visually, though, is the carbonation. After the initial pour, it looks as though there will be little to no carbonation. All of the sudden, tiny bubbles burst forth, which is totally cool.

S: I was expecting a more assertive nose on this beer. It's nice, but quite mild. Chocolate, raisins, and coffee. Nothing tremendous, though.

T: Very fruity - grapes, raisins, similar to a good red wine. There is a segue into the coffee/dark chocolate and the ending is dry and sugary, Very complex & quite nice.

M: Absolutely luscious. Coats the tongue. Creamy, perfectly carbonated.

D: Wow, this is rich. Almost too much - almost. No doubt this is an excellent beer and great take on the RIS style. However, it is certainly not the best beer I've ever had.

I believe that the aura around Dark Lord means more than the beer itself. So the beer isn't the best ever, oh well, Dark Lord Day was a lot of fun and I wouldn't trade that experience for any amount of whatever the best beer may be.

Highest recommendation, especially if you can make it to Dark Lord Day. (1,238 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

2nd out of a sixer picked up @ DLD 07.

Poured into goblet. Small tan head. No light escapes when held to light.

Smell of hops , faint dark roasted coffee. Some alcohol.

The beer has the RIS style amplified. Plenty off bittering hops , dark sweet malt, and bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thick, the hops help it dry out somewhat.

Drinkability suffer a bit from the high ABV , thickness and complexity.

Overall and interesting RIS , maybe not my favorite, but worth seeking out. (498 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Well, here goes.

2007 bottle obtained at Dark Lord day by Janice (not a BA), sold to shivtim and shared by him with me and and a couple of other people. Pours black with a head that vanishes quickly, and a little disappointingly. laces like black olive oil and lacing actually has little granules of something (yeast? ground up coffee?) in it. Smells like brandy, soy sauce, cherries, some yeast, hot chocolate. Quite complex and more fruity than anything else. Taste is just what i look for in a RIS. A complex mish-mash of flavors. Molten chocolate covered cherries, other dark berries, truffles, brandy, bourbon, vanilla. Finish has an alcohol warming and a slight coffee roastiness that's quite well blended. Excellent. Mouthfeel is thick, as advertised. I could drink this all the time but i can't for many many reasons. Yeah, its a freaking great beer, no joke. (870 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -7.7%

2007 bottle on the young side.

Pours like dirty motor oil with a one finger tan/orange head. Swirling the glass gives elegant sheeting that is very pleasing. Aroma is sweet malts and alcohol. Tons of alcohol. Taste is primarily cocoa and black cherry. Lots of malts and lots of alcohol. Mouthfeel is thick. Not the most drinkable thing in the world. I would be very satisfied with a 6oz serving. Luckily I had a friend to split the bottle. None of the rumored sludge in the bottle unless it just had not settled. Will re-rate this winter. (541 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

This is somewhere between a stunning imperial stout and a publicity stunt gone awry. The beer itself (2007 vintage in a 22 oz. bomber) is as impressive and RIS as I've ever had, with all the 10-weight oil thickness and head that can float a Buick. The flavor is darkly sweet and somewhat fruity, balanced more by the roasted grains than any hops bitterness. I knocked down the drinkablity not so much because of the beer itself (I expect a super-RIS to be quickly sating) but because of the decision to package this beer in 22 oz. bombers. About halfway through the 22 oz., finishing the bottle becomes more tiring than pleasurable. A 12 oz. bottle would be a far more appropriate serving size. (694 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

This is the first Dark Lord I opened from my 2007 Dark Lord Day stash. I poured it into pint glasses, the beer's appearance rates a perfect score. Pitch black color with a massive but short-lived tan head. When I swirled the glass the head turned orange, and coated the glass with dark orange sheets.

The aroma was strong imperial stout, really similar to some strong ones from Michigan (Bells Batch 7000 or Founders Imperial Stout). Mostly I could smell the sweet malts and alcohol, I really didn't detect the cherries, molasses, or plums promised on the bottle. The flavor was STRONG, burnt malt and some chocolate along with burning alcohol, very similar to Batch 7000 in my opinion. The mouthfeel was really thick and is the defining attribute for this beer imo. It coats your mouth and keeps you tasting the beer long after each sip.

Not the best beer in the nation in my opinion, but one of the best russian imperial stouts I've tried. I was disappointed not to find any sludge at the bottom of the bottle, other people have complained about it and I wanted to try it on some ice cream.

Someone was cool enough to share a bottle of 2006 Dark Lord at the brewpub on DLD, and my impression is that 2007 is much richer and stronger flavored. But, I was drunk when I tried the 2006... (1,290 characters)

Thanks a million to mynie for this trade
Tasted on 5/11 with three friends and neighbors
Well I finally found my perfect 5. This beer was incredible, and I thought it lived up to all the hype surrounding it. I have been reading that the 07 has too much sediment and you don't get a full beer, but my bottle was perfectly fine. This stuff is so viscous it is nuts. I wanted to really savor the bottle, but everyone wanted another sip right away so the glass only lasted about 15 minutes. Amazing. My roommate and I giggled like little girls the whole time we were drinking.

Awesome beer (591 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

I went to DL day 2007 and bought my bottles. This is the first one I've tried. It also happens to be the day that I am completely finished with my undergraduate career.

That said, I poured it into a 23oz pilsner glass (not recommended) in order to celebrate finishing school. Pours like used motor oil, syrupy, deep brown/black. The head that forms was quite small, brown in color, and lasted for awhile.

What an aroma. The smell of fruit, cherryish, along with coffee and malt smell combine for one the most complex yet enjoyable aromas I have sampled.

Tastes just as good. The RIS qualities shine through, with other flavors of vanilla, cherry, and other fruits, as well as coffee, and chocolate. I could find so many other tastes in this.... but we don't have all day.

Feels fairly good in the mouth. Very thick, good amount of carbonation. Warming aftertaste, but not too warm.

Drinkability is OK. I had a lot of trouble finishing this bomber. It was so thick. yet tasty. Don't try this on your own. Get some friends together, and pour 5 oz samples.

As for the hype... this is the most unique beer I've had. Completely different from Stone RIS or Bell's expidition or victory king. There is something here that can't be described in these terms. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance. Is it worth $15 a bottle though? Now thats a tough decision. (1,374 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with silver wax obtained at 2007 DL day. Shared with two of my buddies. Pours out pitch black like burnt motor oil. Man this stuff is thick. Forms a head that is thick and brown.

Smells of coffee, alcohol, sweet malt, and dark fruits.

Taste...WOW!.. Big sweet roasted/burnt malt. Dark fruit and alcohol mix and finished with bitter coffee. So big and complex, but so well balanced.

Overall... This is one amazing RIS. This beer is great and almost lives up to the hype (which is pretty damn good considering). Definately a beer to try if you can get your hands on one. I think the others I bought at DLD will age very nicely.

Mouthfeel is huge full bodied. Creamy and thick. Very nice.

Drinkability takes a hit from the pain it is to get this beer. Also I don't think this a beer that you finish a bomber yourself. The big alcohol makes this a sharing beer. Also $15 a bomber makes it pricey. (934 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2005 bottle split with a couple friends. Initial smell from the bottle was very good. Appearance was dark black with a small tan head that faded fast. There really was not one distinct flavor that I could pick out. The flavors really seemed melded together. The mouth-feel was viscous, sticky, and thick. The alcohol was completely hidden, maybe the aging helped. Overall, this is a really good beer but don't get caught up in the hype. (436 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Drank last night from the '07 stock.

A: Pours like motor oil, but somehow blacker and thicker. A nice small brown head that left a ring around the glass. It leaves a film coating over every inch of the glass that it touches.

S: Heavy plum scent with a coffee and alcohol smell when you really get your nose in it.

T: Cherry and port wine is my first thought on flavor. As it warmed a bit more I got more and more chocolate and hints of coffee.

M: Coats your entire mouth and leaves a great aftertaste. I could still really taste it 30 mins after I was done with the beer.

D: There was so much going on with this beer it was like a tastebud workout drinking the whole thing.

I got my limit on DL day and I think those will last me until DL Day 08. Overall I think it lives up to the hype, and it's a really amazing beer. (843 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

Oh my God...Here it is...The Darklord has finally arrived!! From DL day 07' Here it goes...Pours the absolute darkest of any beer I've seen...It is beyond black. And I can already see the it's thickness. Huge dark head, three fingers, with amazing retention...Lovely puffy lace that sticks permanantly to the side of the glass. After a few sips it becomes evident that there is a thin layer of film coating the side of the glass. Beautiful...

Smells of sweet malt, burnt chocolate and there is a strong scent of a fruit I cannot completely put my finger on. Very powerful, possibly plum with a hint of cherry background.

Tastes incredible...Roasted sweet malt up front, plum, cherries, wine flavors, slight cherry...Almost no hop flavor other than in support of all the others in the mix. Great balance and complexity..Finishes with a burnt caramel coffee flavor.

One hefty ass feel in the mouth...Motor oil, cream, espresso...Thick, warm, sticky...but, it's not thick to the point of foaming creaminess in the mouth, and it's not overly syrupy. Very nice consistancy.

I gave this wonderful beer it's lowest rating in drinkability for a number of reasons. Only being available once a year, and yes...it's high price, on one side...High alcohol content, and the fact that it's extremely complex and very rich as the other. It is an excellent beer, but it's definitely a sipper...You've just gotta be prepared for it!!!! (1,432 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer is an outstanding Imperial Stout: inky black, intensely aromatic, slightly sweet, and tremendously viscous-feeling in your mouth. I thought it might be dry roasted "burned pizza crust tasting" like Alesmith Speedway Stout, but this is good in a completely different kind of way.

The beer pours a very thick, pure stream of blackness topped with a small and very dark tan head. Aroma is some bourbon-ness, a fair amount of coffee, some sweet alcohol esters, and a hint of cherry. Flavor is exceedingly smooth, and it subtley builds to a very full yet not overwhelming coffee-ness. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and viscous, like delicious motor oil. (657 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

I owe a great thanks to Nchrist13, Nick, for bringing me this bottle from Dark Lord Day 2006. I kept this beer in my fridge for one year and cracked it on Dark Lord Day 2007 in honor of the event.

Appearance is as described on the bottle. Engine oil body with a fomenting carbonation that creates a brown, bubbly head rising from the depths. Lacing is minimal but each swoosh of the glass reinvigorates the head. It persists beautifully for the duration.

Complicated aroma. Lots of molasses and candied dark fruit, coffee, chocolate, boozy cherries, plums, currants, caramel and vanilla.

Equally complicated flavor. Lots of molasses. Very sweet but balanced by those lovely FFF hops. Tons of fruit. Vinous and diverse with most every dark/black fruit one can think of and hints of the tropics. Some Belgian tropical/fruity/yeasty booziness. Cappuccino and French vanilla. Pine resin in the finish.

Warming on the throat but not burning. Mysterious mouthfeel. Sweet and smooth then bitter and harsh. Warm and comfy then intense and challenging. Molten. Public Enemy are liars. Believe the hype (1,106 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

2007 version.

A: Pours with the consistency of junkyard engine motor oil or incredibly thick cough syrup. The cascading head has to be seen to be believed. Shockingly pitch black with a small and creamy head that looks like the color of espresso crema with rust sprinkled on top of it.

S: Huge sweet nose of rum soaked raisins, plums, and blackberry preserves. Also noted were cherry, vanilla, a touch of bitter coffee, and a slight undercurrent of alcohol.

T: Tart cherry and chocolate strike me right off the bat. Then comes the huge dark fruit sweetness. Bitter espresso appears briefly at the finish along with some bitter sweet chocolate.

M: This baby is so thick and rich, it coats everything in the mouth (lips, teeth, tongue, everything!) like latex paint.

D: So incredibly complex, this is definitely not a beer to be trifled with. The alcohol is very well hidden but by the end of half of the bottle you are already looking for a place to lay down and by the end of the whole bottle, you're lucky if you can even find out what the hell happened to your pants. Yeah, it's that good. (1,186 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Thanks goes out to hero27 for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Silver Top
2007 Vintage

Poured into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale tulip a thick clean/clear black color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet thick/oily slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, vanilla, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Full body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Not too much difference in the vintages. Thanks again Eric.

Thanks goes out to CRJMellor for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Gold Top
2006 Vintage

Poured into a chalice a thick clean/clear black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Medium body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Thanks again Craig. (1,561 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -31.9%

Bottle courtesy of Tpaliga (2006 vintage drank in April 2007): Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small foamy head with average retention. Aroma of honey and sweet malt is overwhelming and somewhat interesting. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some alcohol hint. Body is full and has a creamy and oily texture like I have never seen or tasted before. Low carbonation is to be expected but the alcohol really comes out and I didn’t enjoy this part. Some subtle vanilla and roasted malt were noticeable but were for most part covered by sweetness which kind of got gross after half a glass. This beer kind of reminded me of Avery Meph with the dominating sweetness and alcohol. I’m glad that I finally had the chance to try this highly coveted beer even thought I am not the biggest IS fanatic out there but unfortunately I wasn’t fond of it in the end. (866 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Big thanks to the venerable trader that is afatty for this bottle, 2006 vintage.

a - pours thick and black as motor oil, one-finger brown head with little retention and lacing, a look that just screams big stout

s - big aroma of dark fruits, lots of plum, black cherry, raisin, some bittersweet chocolate and hints of dark roasted coffee, definite alcohol presence

t - starts out a bit sweet with lots of dark fruits, plum is predominant, body has a lot of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, finish has more dark fruitiness, slight hoppiness, alcohol notes, and a lingering taste of bittersweet chocolate and coffee, divine!

m - full-bodied, just the right amount of mild carbonation for a big stout, moderate sweetness mitigates the dryness of the finish

d - for a huge stout, this is quite drinkable, palate isn't destroyed at all after a bomber, if this wasn't so damn hard to get, I could sip on this all night

Call it hype or whatever you want, this is one damn fine beer...one of the very best I've tried. It lived up to all the hype for me. Well worth seeking out, regardless of what it takes. (1,120 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 bottle. Ah, the venerable Dark Lord. Glugs out of the bottle with the darkness and viscosity of motor oil that hasn’t been changed in 30k miles. An inch high whipped mocha head rises to the surface and sets up in the glass, clinging to it with an oily, almost bacon greasy ring. Damn, this is some crazy looking stuff. Aroma isn’t over the top, but I’m definitely picking up some big roasty malts, bittersweet chocolate and molasses . The coffee seems to hit more in the taste, along with some caramelized raisins, vanilla and rich maple syrup/molasses. There’s definitely a lot going on here. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and full bodied without next to zero hotness. An impressive stout for sure. Does it live up to the hype? Partially. But I think you can pick up some other impy stouts with 90% of the quality/characteristics of this one for far less $ and difficulty. Nevertheless, the Dark Lord is worthy of at least a pedestal next to the throne. (961 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle of ’04 courtesy of the very generous TMoney99. Appears dark brown, almost black with absolutely no head to speak of. This is a very viscous liquid. And I mean very viscous. Just a slight swirl of the glass leaves a coating covering the entire inside of the glass. It does pretty much the same to the inside of your mouth. Taking over and coating it more and more with every sip. A very well put together beer that has many ’o flavors going on. Some very smooth chocolate and high end coffee. The alcohol was subdued and refined due to the aging. Not as hot or dominating as a fresh bottle. A truly incredible beer, that reminds you every time that you drink it, why it’s this highly rated. (699 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

2007 batch according to Nick. Cask conditioned pour at Night of the Living Ales. This is my 3rd sample. It pours a sinister black color with absolutely no light coming through. The very minimal head falls to nothing. This one looks like darkness. The aroma is very nice, with a forceful dark fruity fig, a mild alcohol and a sweet chocolate all in excellent balance. The flavor is strong in the fruity fig with a coffee bitter and very mild chocolate in the aftertaste. As it sits on my tongue, the fruit hits again followed by a nice pine hop. Balance is fantastic. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth with no carbonation. It has a light syrupy character, but it is mild enough that it works well. Overall, this beer is very nice. It blows the 2006 out of the water, hands down. I'm excited to see the bottled version in a few months. (829 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours dark black with a couple finger buttery tan and pumpkin colored head that slowly recedes. Aroma is a nice bourbony ris aroma with some roasty coffee notes and a sweeter dehydrated fruit, appley aroma. Sweet chocolate flavor hits the tongue first, followed by a apple wine like flavor that slowly grows and finishes slightly tangy, with some anise, some warming alcohol, and some coffee flavor. Every once in a while I get a strange fishy, somewhat salty aftertaste as well. The beer is very soft and silky smooth, the body at some points feels very heavy but at others feels medium. Very good imperial stout, the alcohol is extremely well balanced and definitely creeps up during the 22 ounces. 2006 vintage. (714 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

If left alone, the head on this beer would be discovered by Marvin Martian in 2535 AD. It just *sits* there, brown, fluffy, stolid. Aroma of a good port or Ximinez sherry alongside roasty malt. Alcohol not only apparent but inviting. The Lord invites you into his chambers...

And SMACKS your ass. Starts out insanely velvety and soothing, with a sherrylike sweetness melding with a port-like alcohol, then a licorice-like flavor cuts through, never sharp, just adding complexity. Raisins and dried prunes/figs abound, yet somehow remain subdued. How? I don't know. These flavors combine with what appear to be residual hops that somehow managed to escape for a huge, dark, sweet assault on your palate. One of the most envelopingly smooth brews that has ever crossed my palate. Drinkability is limited by "there's only so much I can take before getting terminal hiccups" and the sheer weight of the thing.

Astonishing - thanks to JeffKrenner for hooking me up with this amazing brew, I'll be here for a while... (1,017 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer was tasted in a tulip glass from the 22oz bomber.

This beer pours jet black with a creamy tan head that dissipates to a ring leaving a little lace. The smell is very sweet with coffee and cherry. The taste is very very sweet with soft coffee notes and cherry/dark fruits. The mouthfeel is very thick and creamy with even carbonation. Overall, it would be hard to drink a full bottle of this on account of the sweetness, but it is still tasty. (455 characters)

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.