2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2010 - Olive Green Wax
2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,823 | Reviews: 1,128 | Show All Ratings:
bulldog91

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

2011 version, sitting 18 months.
It pours a dark, thick with virtually no head. Appears like a thin syrup
Wow that smell - it's sweet, but with dark hints to it.
Not much cherry in this bottle, but the plums and molasses are apparent. A hint of carmel, some coffee, chocolate - just a nice blend.
As for mouthfeel, it's not as heavy as expected. Very light, actually. A smooth feel with a slight ting but overall pleasant.
In a word - wow. Not a RIS guy, but this is just a complex, good - very good - beer.

11-05-2012 17:31:16 | More by bulldog91
RhyminBelmont

4.59/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Practically zero head after the pour. A rich dark brown like bittersweet chocolate. Impossibly impermeable to light. Clings stickily to the side of the glass with a swirl.

S- Smells like roasted malt, warm liquor, espresso grounds, chocolate mousse. Sweet, but not so much so as the fresh batch at DLD.

T- Tobacco, dark chocolate, dark fruit, black coffee, chocolate mousse. And more and more. Still pretty damn sweet, so I'm definitely holding onto my remaining allotment for a minute.

Sticky thick and amazing on the tongue. Like a thicker plead the fifth. Wishing real hard right now for a barrel aged variant.

Definitely a hype monster. Also a unique enormous delicious beer. DLD is blast, so this beer wins points for sentimentality. I agree with the conjecture that there are comparable beers available on shelf, but it's fun to get on board with the whole experience of the festival in Munster. Yayayyyyyyyyy.

08-19-2013 03:23:38 | More by RhyminBelmont
razorsdescent

Ive been eager to review/drink this highly touted brew for years now. For christmas my GF presented me with a bottle.

I finally got around to trying it and i was most certainly impressed.

A- It poured thick and dark black with a great chocolate head that looked thick and creamy.

S- Cherries covered in dark belgian chocolate rich and deep aromas abound.

T- Big malty chocolate cake with hints of toffee, coffee clove and dark fruits. a very slight hint of soy sauce but in a pleasing way.

M- Thick and creamy with a flavor that coats the mouth. it really is a dessert in a bottle.

D- If it was possible to give it a 6 out of 5 on this on drinkability i would. there are many stouts out there but none quite like this. i would drink this until the morning light and then just keep on.

Believe the hype on this one it really is an extraordinary beer. if you cant find the dark lord i would however recommend chokolat stout from southern tier as i believe it to be almost as good.

02-13-2009 22:38:23 | More by razorsdescent
crazeguy

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from an 09 bottle.

Pitch black. Held my normally bright led cellphone flash up behind it and didn't see a hint of it.

Smell, Alcohol, Figs. Smells reminds of a Westy or St Bernadus 12. But with the normal stout smells. Than more sweet scents. Its nice

Taste- sweet. Really sweet. Like chocolate covered cherries!

Mouth - THICK. Like chewing beer.

drink - Too thick and heavy, but this isn't meant to be light.

This is a must try for any BA. A supreme RIS by any standards.

05-12-2009 08:25:39 | More by crazeguy
jonandhisflask

Kentucky

4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

2011 dark lord, my first thanks to my bud jeff

A-Deep hellish ambers to black, great tan head.. holds for about 30 seconds.

S-Bursts of alcohol and dark fruits, chocolates, roasted coffee, caramels. earthy IMO

T-GOOD DARKLORD! HOT! chocolates, coffee, darker fruits...plum. alcohol and hops balance out the malt in this great beer for sure, still very sweet but not too over powering.

M-Very thick(thats what she said) oily, weighs the jaw down, your palate will be satisfied.

O-amazing brew, FFF promises great beer. WILL be attending DLD!! hope i can get a few vintages as well as a few 11's.shared with a great friend=great memories and healthy palates.

05-05-2011 06:51:09 | More by jonandhisflask
MichaelinFishers

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

A two-year vertical (year-old 2010 green wax, fresh 2011 yellow wax) last night. Review is about both except where specified.

Poured dark and thick with a little bit of head. Not much difference in the aromas. They smell sweet and rich. No detectable alcohol or hop aromas.

Sips like it pours. The fresh one gave a nice coffee kick at the end that was missing from the aged one, yet the 2010 was a lot smoother and mellow. The flavors had melded a lot. Both are still very sweet. I have come to prefer my big stouts a little drier, but this is still tasty. Right now, it's a tradeoff between being able to taste the coffee and the mellow smoothness of the year-old. I think I need to save the others for next year's vertical.

05-14-2011 21:27:30 | More by MichaelinFishers
BumpkinBrewer

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

2010 vintage poured into a tulip glass and shared with a friend on International Stout Day

A: Pours like motor oil. Black as night with a tan head that fades quickly to a beige ring

S: Boozy with sweet dark fruits, a bit of coffee roastiness

T: Follows the nose. Sweet dark fruits with bitter roast and very sweet, slight alcohol burn

M: Very slick on the palate, sugars are tingling in the mouth, again the heat of the alcohol is very present

O: A little disappointing considering i sat on this for 2 years but still an interesting beer nonetheless. Glad I got to try it.

11-09-2012 17:15:26 | More by BumpkinBrewer
alohaC

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 bottle. Ah, the venerable Dark Lord. Glugs out of the bottle with the darkness and viscosity of motor oil that hasn’t been changed in 30k miles. An inch high whipped mocha head rises to the surface and sets up in the glass, clinging to it with an oily, almost bacon greasy ring. Damn, this is some crazy looking stuff. Aroma isn’t over the top, but I’m definitely picking up some big roasty malts, bittersweet chocolate and molasses . The coffee seems to hit more in the taste, along with some caramelized raisins, vanilla and rich maple syrup/molasses. There’s definitely a lot going on here. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and full bodied without next to zero hotness. An impressive stout for sure. Does it live up to the hype? Partially. But I think you can pick up some other impy stouts with 90% of the quality/characteristics of this one for far less $ and difficulty. Nevertheless, the Dark Lord is worthy of at least a pedestal next to the throne.

04-06-2007 06:55:07 | More by alohaC
mixylplik3

Maine

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

I got my hands on a bottle in '07 thanks to a friend of mine out in IL. I had been sitting on it for a special occasion so cracked it during the Super Bowl.

As I poured the viscous, used motor oil looking liquid into my glass the only thing I could think is "what have I gotten myself into?" My new-found affinity for darker stouts and porters (and the hype) had me anxiously awaiting the first sip. Lacing was non-existent and to borrow a wine term- this brew has legs. Actually, it doesn't have legs so much as an oily residue.

The taste? Well, it tasted okay. Chocolate, coffee, smoke... the "dark" flavors are all here. Then there is that alcoholic bite, which helps keep the soy and roasty syrup at bay.

The mouthfeel is heavy, oily, and stifling. The flavors linger but are overwhelmed by the heavy consistency. The flavor to me was simply overpowered by the dense liquid. As a result, I can't say I'd ever seek this out again. Worth trying once.

Not really impressed. Succeeding at beyond over-the-top, but not enjoyable to drink. I ended up pouring the last 1/3 of the bottle.

March 2011...
Recently had some 2010, and didn't like it. I will not change my original review, but this beer is grossly overrated, IMO. Not an enjoyable RIS. I'd give it lower marks if I re-reviewed it.

02-05-2008 15:45:07 | More by mixylplik3
Taverner420

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance - Dark black with a tannish head. Leaves a nice oily brown film around the glass.

Smell - Notes of sesame, coffee, black licorice and a hint of soy

Taste - Dark, roasted malty flavor imbued with coffee and bitter chocolate

Mouthfeel - Oily and dark, yet pleasant

Drinkability - I could drink this all day, except that its 13%, and its hard to find

11-23-2008 21:51:46 | More by Taverner420
raninator84

A finer Imperial Stout? I know not!

2009 Bottle poured into a thick walled Chalice. Oh how the Czars would envy me.
Pours a deep black profuse sludge as if the Dark Lord himself has awakened from a slumber of centuries past. Already I can smell the scent of deep roasted malts, coffee, smoked embers, and nutmeg. The lacing clinging to the walls of my glass, but sliding ever so smoothly into the depths of midnight, where light ceases and something a bit abnormal begins. The first sip; smooth, chewy and thick. Perhaps this Lord of Darkness plays well with others? A robust hit of roasted chocolate careens my palate confused as to what it wishes to unleash next. A rush of sweet molasses and plum forces its boldness upon my senses. As the ferocity of the sip hits my palate a hint of nutmeg and cherries sneaks in through the back with hops infused in the grain. A strong but short burst of burnt and smoked woodiness ends atop the alcohol, clearly there can be no more. But the taste lingers and finally rests into a roasted smoked chocolate embrace. It's enough to want to follow the Dark Lord into the underbelly, into the darkside, into the grave. And after sampling the elixir of this Demigod, I must pledge my loyalty to he who is the master of the blackest of nights, the overseer of the underworld of sludge, and the purveyor of all that is "not normal". To the Dark Lord.

04-28-2009 06:48:52 | More by raninator84
guinnessdoc

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

2006 Vintage with gold dipped wax neck. Received in an in-person trade from AlohaC while on my Honeymoon in Hawaii. Opened to celebrate a job offer in the brewing industry!

Appearance: Very, very black. Ruby and copper shines through but only at the edges when held to the light. Mocha colored head fell away quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Wow. There's an amazing aroma of chocolate, cherries, prunes and molasses. It's a lot like a tawny port.

Taste: Many of the same elements that came through in the aroma come through in the taste. The first thing I noticed was a port-like sweetness followed by prunes, molasses, and chocolate. There's a definite alcohol warming upon swallowing that continues for some time afterwards.

Mouthfeel: Very viscous; full-bodied and smooth. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: I love a good RIS and this one definitely fits the bill. I've been saving it for a special occasion and I'm glad this was waiting. I can't imagine drinking it on a regular basis as it's so much like a port but for today, it's perfect. I hope I can get another soon.

01-19-2007 23:19:59 | More by guinnessdoc
ralflord

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

Bow to the Dark Lord! Shared this with my garage drinking buddy as he heads off to Rotterdam for a one night gig. The pour produced head like a married woman. The color was black with a rusty tint. Molasses, and chocolate permeated my senses, as I sipped this truly wonderful concoction. I sensed a mocha, sweet flavor, but balanced nicely with the hops. It was tremendously smooth, making it dangerously easy to drink. I love this beer, and can't wait to drink more of it.

09-18-2008 14:11:16 | More by ralflord
Jacobpaul81

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

2010 vintage. Whole bottle poured into a canning jar.

Appearance:
Dark, as expected from an Imperial Stout. Syrupy but not thick. Actually, thin for the style. Nice lacing around top of glass. Dark head maybe 1/4 inch thick.

Aroma:
Sweet malt smell, heavy on the soy with some vanilla.

Taste:
Beer is very complex. A lot of layering. One of the more obvious layer combinations I've tried. Opens up with dark tart cherries and heavy roasted malts. Grape emerges as you experience a port wine flavor profile with some plum and blackberry flavors. This is followed by a bitter chocolate/coffee flavor as the port flavor lingers. You can really pull the layers apart in this one.

Mouthfeel:
Went down smooth and creamy. Very strong alcohol burn at the end. Did not care for the alcohol at all. If it had finished smooth, this would have been a much improved beer.

Drinkability:

I found the 2010 average for an Imperial Stout. It's got some great flavor profiles and the layering is beautifully done. The soy smell bothered me personally. Not a smell I particularly care for from a beer and the alcohol burn was just way too much for me. I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't stand in line to buy bottles.

09-26-2010 20:11:03 | More by Jacobpaul81
codynevels

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%

22oz Bomber poured into a The Bruery Tulip tasted side by side with CC Hunahpu’s

2010 Vintage (Olive wax) reviewed from notes on June 29th, 2011

This beer pours a completely opaque black body with a small amount thin mocha head that leaves minimal lacing. It is not quite as viscous as I expected it to be. It pours out of the bottle rather thin. The smell is coffee, chocolate, and a sweet caramel maltiness. Not an incredibly structured or complex aroma. The aroma is somewhat one-dimensional. The taste is one-dimensional as well. Chocolate and sweet maltiness dominates. This beer has a medium body that isn’t quite thin, but not as thick as I was led to believe. There is a fair amount of alcohol burn in the finish.

Overall, this is not a bad beer, it tasted alright to me, however, it is not very complex and the alcohol is not as well hidden as it should be. This beer seems like it may not be all hype, but it is mostly hype. I have had off the shelf imperial stouts that outperform this beer on almost every level, besides hype of course.

07-09-2011 20:08:58 | More by codynevels
menkros

Had the 2012 dark lord red wax bottle. It was the first time I'd had a Russian imperial stout, and I wish I could have it more often than 4 per year. I agree with a lot I reviews on this beer. It does have a motor oil consistency going down. It is dark as night with a light head and carbonation. Tastes like cofffee , chocolate, and the alcohol content is very well hidden. I live 40 minute from the brewery and am currently moving to California. I will definitely be flying back next year for my 4 beer allotment.

06-04-2012 03:56:34 | More by menkros
CraftEyeDoc

A group of friends and I enjoyed a Dark Lord vertical, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012 on 1/13/13. I have had the 2012 multiple times from Dark Lord Day and this beer has definitely changed in just a years time but age does some serious delicious things to this beer. Each bottle was poured into taster glass and sips of each were taking going down the line. The sweetness assoc with DL was more apparent as you moved from 2005 to the 2012.

Some my think that 2005 is too long to let this beer age but I don't think so. All the sweetness was all gone. The beer had very subtle but complex flavors. Def large hints of oak and slightly more acidic. Often I would come back to this and taste something new hence why I said the very subtle nature of this 7.5 year old DL. Then moving to the 2007 and 2010... What can I say but these beers were an amazing example of a RIS. The last time I had the 2012 was in Nov and in 2 months this beer has changed for the better. Slightly more mellowed sweetness and the other flavors shine a lot more.

Overall: One heck of an evening and was so glad to be apart of this opportunity. After tasting this broad spectrum of DL I would say the def spot for this beer is 2-4 years of aging. The sweetness dies out some and takes a back burner and lets the complexity of tastes shine even more.

01-16-2013 13:34:47 | More by CraftEyeDoc
aqsprint

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

version 2008 22oz bottle

A- Pitch black is an understatement. Could not get any head in my glass. It has the viscosity of burnt motor oil.

S- some sweetness, very roasty, hints of vanilla and chocolate.

T- Molasses, dark fruits, vanilla, chocolate, caramel, a complex oaky flavor, and a little spice. The alcohol presence is noticeable but not over powering.

M- THICK, too thick for me. Almost no carbonation

D- Couldn't get past the 10w30 viscosity. Not very drinkable.

09-23-2008 10:39:51 | More by aqsprint
jtrem14

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, shared between 3 people (including myself)

A - Extremely dark, without much of a head. The slight amount of head on the top was a amber/brownish color, resembling that of the crema on an espresso

S - Molasses and coffee, with a hint of chocolate

T - Really much of the same from the smell. Molasses really takes a strong grip here. Stronger alcohol taste, then smell. Maybe a bit of raisin in there.

M - More carbonation in the mouth, than how it looked when it poured out, maybe slightly too much.

D - The strong alcohol taste up front, and the carbonation, are the only slight draw backs to this beer. As far as taste alone (and smell I suppose) this is one of the best beers I've ever had.

01-11-2010 12:54:28 | More by jtrem14
SteelersX

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

2007 Vintage Silver Wax
This has been aging since 2007 at 50 degrees year round

Pour black as used motor oil except thicker. small head on an aggressive pour. cloudy, even for a pitch black beer. might have swirl a little if the infamous sludge into my glass.

The flavor is strong and sweet. intense roasty flavors.SWEET SWEET.
The mouthfeel has thinned and bit over the years from how I remember it.
A little chalky and very chewey.
I dont think I could finish a whole bottle by myself because of the assault on my palate.
3 floyds hops are still present.

There are so many other imperial stouts I would crack over this and actually finish by myself but this is still a unique experience.

05-16-2011 16:32:30 | More by SteelersX
ryanfolty

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

Date: July 3, 2011 Mode: Bottle Source: Beer Tasting, Bloomington, MN Appearance: Opaque dark with slight amount of head Aroma: Sweet licorice Flavor: Thick, delicious, chocolate and very complex Other: This was the 2010 vintage and no surprise was the best at this tasting. Thanks for sharing bvery!!!

September 2, 2012 - did a 3 year vertical of the ’10-’12 at home with Brandon. Some chocolate in the aroma for the 10, some alcohol in the 11 and the 12 had a stronger alcohol aroma. Still very good, but I have had so much since trying this for the first time....so dropping my ratings slightly.

08-13-2011 21:34:32 | More by ryanfolty
fo1ksguitar

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

2011 Bottle split between 3 friends.

A- Pours very dark brown with a very small amount of brown head.

S- Smells of roasted coffee, chocolate, cherry

T- Sweet and dense. Chocolate and espresso coffee on the front, followed by green pepper, and finishes with molasses & cherries. More acidic as it warms. Can't believe this is 15%, hardly any heat.

M- Super thick. Coats the throat and sits on the tongue. No boozey burn.

O- This was the first big sweet stout I tried and it was great, just messy and all over the place with very strong flavors. Can't wait to see what a little age does to it.

10-10-2011 03:01:22 | More by fo1ksguitar
Phillyz

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2010 Green Wax. Was incredibly lucky to enjoy a bottle of this in Philadelphia, and now that I know someone who has about 40 bottles, hopefully I'll enjoy more in the future.

A: As the bottle says, this beer has the appearance of motor oil. 2 finger head in the first glass I poured it in, less than 1 finger in the second.

S: Mild alcohol, dark fruits, sweet coffee and chocolate.

T: Sugary as hell! Very sweet, not quite what I expected. Dark fruits slap you in the face - plums and currants blended together for a 'raison-esque' taste. Much lighter than I expected, but this is more than likely because this beer is roughly three years old.

F: Medium thickness, mild carbonation. A near perfect blend. Hopefully I'll have newer and older dark lord to compare this too. Light alcohol taste - not nearly the bite that the 09 BCBS had that I tasted after I enjoyed this. Nearly perfect.

O: Amazing stout. Although I haven't had newer Dark Lords, I can truly say that this one definitely had to have grown with age. I spent way too much on the bottle, but that's what you get when you're buying a '10 from a stranger. I look forward to trying more of this beauty. Definitely worth the try, but not the best stout that I've ever had. 3/4 friends I shared this with agreed that 09 BCBS was better.

02-13-2013 06:28:37 | More by Phillyz
Ahappyhiker2

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

2008 vintage, black wax. I've had Dark Lord fresh before, but never aged.

A- Black, thick, the yeast at the end of the pour is so thick it's crazy. There is small head on the beer that dissipates quickly.

S- Very, very sweet. I definitely picked up some molasses, and lots of chocolate. There is a slight hint of coffee, along with plums and raisins. Dark fruit comes out a lot just because of the bitterness and sweetness. The aroma is pretty boozy as well.

T- First sip is incredible. Unbelievably smooth, all of the booziness in the aroma is gone. Definitely has a dark chocolate/dark coffee kind of bitterness to it, in fact chocolate was the most distinct flavor for me. The aftertaste lingers for a while with lots of burnt chocolate notes. It gets sweeter as it warms up but surprisingly it's not as sweet as the 2012 vintage was last year.

M- Really thick, but what else would you expect? Honestly I think Dark Lord has the perfect mouthfeel for a stout. Chewy, but still has enough carbonation after 5 years of being in the bottle.

O- This was a real treat. I've heard before that 2008 is the best vintage, and just judging by having it fresh last year, I'd have to agree. It isn't overly sweet, it's crazy smooth, and all of the flavors I'd want in a stout are present. I wouldn't go after years 2009-2012 just from what I've heard, but this vintage is absolutely worth seeking out. Finally I found a non-barrel aged RIS that I enjoyed more than Marshal Zhukov's.

05-05-2013 16:52:37 | More by Ahappyhiker2
TheRemyLeabeau

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Phenomenal. Look, I get it where some of the hate comes in. I mean its now become such a cliche of itself in how hard it os to get this beer and you have to ask yourself is it that much better than other shelf (or easier to acquire) Stouts that its worth the trouble? If you look at it from the aspect of how awesome DLD is with all the generosity of stranger who bring their own bottles and that magical chance to win a golden ticket and land the godly Vanilla BADL then yes its worth it. Especially for me considering I just loves sweets and the fact that 2013 is basically an imperial stout sugar bomb is what makes it a 4.9/5 in my book. I have had 2010-2013 and 2013 is definitely my favorite because of the abundance of sweetness. I really don't like when the taste of soy sauce dominates the palate (namely the 2010 vintage) and while this beer holds up well aging I still say just drink it fresh. The other reviews nail it so no reason to say much else.

Side Note: if you are looking for a comparable shelf beer I strongly suggest Ten Fidy. I think it is by far the most similar shelf RIS and its a damned tasty beer also.

08-15-2013 09:35:03 | More by TheRemyLeabeau