Biggs' 'stache - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Biggs' 'stacheBiggs' 'stache

poor

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Wild Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: MasterSki on 11-15-2011

A golden colored sour with intense barnyard flavors and aromas as well as assertive tartness.
to view more.
Ratings: 65 | Reviews: 20
Reviews by TheGordianKnot:
1.76/5  rDev -29.3%

Purchased at XV party.. Shared with group at Yazoo Fortuitous release- sorry guys, haha.

A- Pours a nice golden orange color with a finger of foamy light head. Very stable though no lacing on the glass.

S- Nice light funky aroma with some fruity, lemony tones and green apple thats not acetylaldehyde. Has a wheaty and hay-like presence as well.

T/M- Holy shit. Acetone mess! Hot, nasty, medicinal, glass of garbage. Has a gross rubbery, latex glove like disgusting flavor. Absolutely not a single redeeming quality in the flavor here. Body was light and carbonated, but it didn't matter because the best body in the world couldn't save this.

O- I'm one of the biggest FFF fanboys, but even I have to say this is one the worst beers I've ever had! I'll take a Miller Light over this any day...

1.26/5  rDev -49.4%

Props to BJhorvat for bringing this to DLD and so we could have a legitamite comparison to Cable Car. bwahahaha, I kid I kid...

I'm not going to get to detailed because I made it through two tastes.

once it hits your mouth it tastes much like you would expect an American Wild sour to taste like. However within 5 seconds the sour turns into the exact taste of fresh puke. No one would have more than a sip and that includes the 6 or 7 random guys at DLD that we gave pours of. We even offered someone $20 to chug the remaining third of the bottle, no bites.

3.8/5  rDev +52.6%

Big thanks goes out to aasher for sharing this one a few days before his wedding while in Destin, FL! Thanks Al! Bottle 309 of 336! Served from bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Poured a golden yellow with a one and a half finger white head that subsided to a half finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, tart, sour, wood, and acetic acid. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus rine, wood, fruit, sour, tart, and subtle vinegar. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. Overall this one was pretty interesting. However, there was a little something off-putting on the flavor of this one. It wasn’t bad by any means, just not what one would expect from the style. The aroma and mouthfeel on this one were quite nice for the style. A definite must try if you are lucky enough to get the opportunity.

1.2/5  rDev -51.8%

I opened this for a tasting. Poured a nice golden color, and seemed like it was going to be a treat. Smelled and tasted like finger nail polish remover. Maybe it would've been better right after purchase. If you have a bottle trade it or sell it now.

1.18/5  rDev -52.6%

Arbitrator shared this one. Thanks for the whales.

Appearance: Pretty nice. Golden in color with nice clarity, topped by a dense and lasting two-finger head.

Smell: This is where things get ugly. Vinegar, paint thinner and nailpolish remover overwhelm any pleasant qualities this beer may have. I can *almost* detect a bit of lemon and pineapple, but it's not worth digging for.

Taste & mouthfeel: Utterly burning and stomach-churning, it's comical how unpalatable this beer is. Harsh acetone and acetic acid combine forces, becoming something ultimately more destructive and sinister, burning from esophagus to bowels. I have to admit that I sipped on this one for a while out of some kind of masochistic amusement at how bad it is.

Overall: Bottom of the barrel, very possibly the worst sour I've tried, or at least tied with the legendary White Birch Indomitus.

2.46/5  rDev -1.2%

After cutting through the wax this one hissed and offered up an instant vinegar aroma. Biggs 'Stache pours a light bodied orangish gold in color with a one finger bright white head. The nose is light and tart with some white wine characteristics and white vinegar. It's very acetic. It has a slight acidic burn on the finish. It's not the most refined sour in the world and is a little rough around the edges. I'm glad to finally open this one. It wasn't worth the money but this bottle was hard to pass up at FFF XV.

3.08/5  rDev +23.7%

Bottle # 1/336

Brought this bottle to an "American Sour" tasting at a friend's place. The bottle was shared between about 12 people or so, and the reviews were very similar to the reviews on here: the majority hated it. But, there were a few people (including myself) that were glad to finish the bottle and actually enjoyed it.

A - Golden blonde in color with a small, receding head.

S - Acidic and funky. To me it smelled like lemons and vinegar.

T - Very acidic and vinegar-ish tasting upfront, but that fades into a sour lemon / grassy taste. Other people thought it tasted like nail polish remover and were immediately ready for a new beer. By no means was it the best tasting beer of the evening, but I didn't find the taste objectionable at all.

M - Mouthfeel was thin / medium bodied.

O - I wouldn't go out of your way to find this, but if someone opens a bottle I would suggest giving it a try with an open mind.

1.37/5  rDev -45%

Reviewed from voice notes taken at a previous tasting.
Typed up in an attempt to finally consolidate all of my reviews in one place.

Shared by whitemomba.

I'm a huge FFF fanboy.... so please understand that this review is truthful. Painfully so.

Looks kinda like a gueuze... Golden yellow with a small white head.

Smells like easter egg dye.
You know that smell-- that vinegar/chemical/fake wood/formaldehyde. Actually, it smells like easter egg dye in an open vat in a room fitted with fresh wood paneling.

Little musty... Little earthy.... Little sour... But nothing really GOOD going on here. The aftertaste is actually QUITE unpleasant. Umm... Wow.

This is a bit overcarbonated... And it's like dirty and dank. Just burns funny.

Overall-- not a beer that's worth getting. If you have one: TRADE IT.
If you don't have one: consider yourself lucky.

Really sad.

2.27/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks for opening this rarity, Richard.

Pours a clear golden color with a large white head. A light white vinegar tone to the nose followed quickly by acetone, straw, and grass. There is a little fruitiness to it, maybe some apples. Things don't change much on the palate. Heavy white vinegar with a little bit of white wine. There are some green melon flavors, a touch of apple, and a lasting acetone flavor on the finish. Light bodied with medium carbonation.

1.61/5  rDev -35.3%

Shared this with the line at the Better Half release. Glad I didnt try to drink this one by myself.
I was really excited when I heard about it. Was looking forward to a funky sour.
Tastes like nail polish remover. Acetone city. No funk. Just nail polish remover.
Nothing redeeming about this one.
I cant believe they actually sold bottles of this. Not only that but I paid $20+ for the two bottles I picked up.
3 floyds should issue a refund.

1.33/5  rDev -46.6%

This is the WORST beer I've ever tasted

3.97/5  rDev +59.4%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Bottle # 71/336

Pours a clear orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour, tart, and funky with some vinegar, grain, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with an acidic quality on the finish. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with some solid aromas and flavors.

1.33/5  rDev -46.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. From lurchingbeast. Thanks, Frank!

When I announced that I was bringing this for someone else (who had requested it) to tick, my message was received with a few sarcastic comments. I had no idea what the rating was going into it. Considering my well-documented thoughts on BA overrating, for a (current) 2.12 rAvg on record, this beer has to be pretty bad.

Turns out, it is.

A: This is surprisingly nice. largadeer gave himself a generous Roger into his Lost Abbey Rastal, and the beer poured a clear, golden-mango color capped with a generous off-white head. It retained quite well.

S: Oh. My. It is vinegary, paint-thinnery, grassy, lemony, and apple-y. I sense that this may have been a good beer before being overtaken by bacteria. Maybe not. Maybe it was never redeemable. Maybe it was brewed as a practical joke, knowing that BAs will pay out the nose for anything rare in a hyped style. If so, epic troll, Three Floyds. Well done.

T: Sour apple up front; it has a somewhat enjoyable tartness, but when it hits the back of the throat, there's a powerful, drying paint thinner burn that seems designed to scrape my esophagus clean. As burning as this is on the way down, I'm half-wondering what it will do on the way out. Another taster screamed, "Make it stop!" as visions of the xenomorphs' blood from ALIENS passed through my head.

M: This is harsh. It really makes you appreciate how much restraint some good sours have to have.

O: This beer was hilariously fascinating. Three Floyds is widely regarded as one of the best breweries in the US; this attempt is one of the worst I've tried in the style. Not only was I unimpressed, I was embarrassed for having brought this and a Mikkeller beer to an otherwise nice tasting.

There are 298 other bottles out there: they must be hunted down and destroyed.

4.12/5  rDev +65.5%

Picked this up at the 3Fs XV Party. I could only get one and I couldn't stay out of it. Had to break into it about 36 hours after the purchase. Their their description had me craving it immediately...

A: Slightly hazy golden appearance. Standard amount of head and fairly good carbonation. You can see a couple rivulets of bubbles ascending.

S: Pretty nose. Quite complex with a blend of oak, a bit horse blanket and a fruitiness reminiscent of a Belgian strong pale.

T: This sour has a richness/maltiness that I'd say is fairly uncommon among others I've had that are similar stylistically. A little lacto Sour, but not out of balance thanks to that richness. With the finish comes a sour spiciness that I can't decide if I enjoy or not. Very interesting.

M: Again the malt is balanced out by the carbonation and tart side of this beer. I'm curious to find out what the ABV is on this one. If I were to guess solely based on the mouthfeel I'd say around 8%, but I imagine it is higher. 10%+?

O: I really liked this beer. It comes off as an oaky sour tripel. I still have a few that out-rank it, but I would totally buy it again. Seek out this rare treat... share it with a friend... trade it to me. Either way, it will be enjoyed.

2.7/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a cloudy, dark golden yellow color with a one finger white head that slowly settles into a lastig ring. Sporadic spots of lacing left behind.

Musty, funky aroma with lots of earthy oak, wet hay, citrus and barnyard character. The citrus fruit presence is faint and there is some subtle acetone but the nose is pretty nice.

Medium bodied with a vey harsh acetic quality that dominates the flavor and takes away from the citrus and musty funk. Dry and funky with some earthy oak but the acidity just overpowers everything. Looks and smells good but is pretty harsh and tough to drink.

1.35/5  rDev -45.8%

Shared this amazing beer with the crowd at Pipeworks for Alex's (Masterski) birthday. I'm only a little sorry. 750 ml waxed bottle served in a New Glarus tasting glass. Bottle # 153/336.

A: Pours a clear yellow color with a bubbly body. A thick white head forms on the pour and sticks around for the long, long time it took me to finish a few ounces.

S: My first whiff into this beer is nail polish. Wonderful. Large sour notes with some harsh wood spice.

T: More nail polish with a dark sharpie marker note the lingers deep in the nostrils. There is an odd rotten oak flavor with a spicy battery acid and some heavy sour notes.

M: So weird. Light bodied, but there is on odd chalky feel with large carbonation. Mouth puckering sourness and just off putting.

O: Well, thankfully I didn't have to drink more than a few ounces. I'm glad I got to share this beast with the usual suspects and we never have to speak of this beer again.

1.8/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours ok... Smells like nail polish... Tastes like burning... Thin and carbed... Just a bad experience.

1.27/5  rDev -49%

One of the worst beers at a tasting of over 40 beers. Granted, some of those other beers included Darkness, Dark Lord, Cantillon Gueuze, etc. but this was probably the worst (or So' Bro, but we'll get to that later).

A: Looks decent enough, pale colored, like a gueuze almost.

S: Smell like nail polish remover and as Ron Burgundy would say, "that's a formidable scent, it stings the nostrils."

T: More nail polish remover, burning, acetone, just awful. I can't see how anyone would find this beer palatable.

M: Honestly, couldn't even keep it down enough to focus on mouthfeel.

O: Truly a bad beer, I can't believe someone could taste this and think it was safe for consumption, let alone a quality beer. Stick to pale ales and IPA's please.

1.4/5  rDev -43.8%

Thanks to Ryan (Treebs) for bringing this to my birthday party. Served in a taster glass.

A - White foam settles to a thin collar, topping a lightly hazed golden body. Looks like a golden sour alright.

S - A delightful blend of nail polisher remover, acetic acid, uric acid, and tart apple skins. Nostril-singing.

T - The taste is a touch less sour than the smell suggests, but it's got a lovely chemical flavor mingling with the various bilious acids. I see someone has mentioned latex gloves in another review, but I get a bit more window cleaner to be honest.

M - Medium body, moderate-to-lower carbonation, and comical, barbaric acidity. Dry and moisture-obliterating. If it weren't for the induction of gastrointestinal distress, this would be reasonably appropriate for the style.

D - Unequivocally the worst thing Three Floyds has even produced. Even Brandy Klaus had a few positive attributes. Thanks to everyone at my birthday party for removing one of these from existence.

Horrid. Like a mix of vomit and nail polish remover.

to view more.
Biggs' 'stache from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.