Biggs' 'stache - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Biggs' 'stacheBiggs' 'stache

poor

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Wild Ale |  ABV ?

A golden colored sour with intense barnyard flavors and aromas as well as assertive tartness.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 11-15-2011)

Horrid. Like a mix of vomit and nail polish remover.

1.15/5  rDev -53.6%

Arbitrator shared this one. Thanks for the whales.

Appearance: Pretty nice. Golden in color with nice clarity, topped by a dense and lasting two-finger head.

Smell: This is where things get ugly. Vinegar, paint thinner and nailpolish remover overwhelm any pleasant qualities this beer may have. I can *almost* detect a bit of lemon and pineapple, but it's not worth digging for.

Taste & mouthfeel: Utterly burning and stomach-churning, it's comical how unpalatable this beer is. Harsh acetone and acetic acid combine forces, becoming something ultimately more destructive and sinister, burning from esophagus to bowels. I have to admit that I sipped on this one for a while out of some kind of masochistic amusement at how bad it is.

Overall: Bottom of the barrel, very possibly the worst sour I've tried, or at least tied with the legendary White Birch Indomitus.

1.18/5  rDev -52.4%

I opened this for a tasting. Poured a nice golden color, and seemed like it was going to be a treat. Smelled and tasted like finger nail polish remover. Maybe it would've been better right after purchase. If you have a bottle trade it or sell it now.

1.21/5  rDev -51.2%

Props to BJhorvat for bringing this to DLD and so we could have a legitamite comparison to Cable Car. bwahahaha, I kid I kid...

I'm not going to get to detailed because I made it through two tastes.

once it hits your mouth it tastes much like you would expect an American Wild sour to taste like. However within 5 seconds the sour turns into the exact taste of fresh puke. No one would have more than a sip and that includes the 6 or 7 random guys at DLD that we gave pours of. We even offered someone $20 to chug the remaining third of the bottle, no bites.

1.25/5  rDev -49.6%

One of the worst beers at a tasting of over 40 beers. Granted, some of those other beers included Darkness, Dark Lord, Cantillon Gueuze, etc. but this was probably the worst (or So' Bro, but we'll get to that later).

A: Looks decent enough, pale colored, like a gueuze almost.

S: Smell like nail polish remover and as Ron Burgundy would say, "that's a formidable scent, it stings the nostrils."

T: More nail polish remover, burning, acetone, just awful. I can't see how anyone would find this beer palatable.

M: Honestly, couldn't even keep it down enough to focus on mouthfeel.

O: Truly a bad beer, I can't believe someone could taste this and think it was safe for consumption, let alone a quality beer. Stick to pale ales and IPA's please.

1.28/5  rDev -48.4%

This is the WORST beer I've ever tasted

1.28/5  rDev -48.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. From lurchingbeast. Thanks, Frank!

When I announced that I was bringing this for someone else (who had requested it) to tick, my message was received with a few sarcastic comments. I had no idea what the rating was going into it. Considering my well-documented thoughts on BA overrating, for a (current) 2.12 rAvg on record, this beer has to be pretty bad.

Turns out, it is.

A: This is surprisingly nice. largadeer gave himself a generous Roger into his Lost Abbey Rastal, and the beer poured a clear, golden-mango color capped with a generous off-white head. It retained quite well.

S: Oh. My. It is vinegary, paint-thinnery, grassy, lemony, and apple-y. I sense that this may have been a good beer before being overtaken by bacteria. Maybe not. Maybe it was never redeemable. Maybe it was brewed as a practical joke, knowing that BAs will pay out the nose for anything rare in a hyped style. If so, epic troll, Three Floyds. Well done.

T: Sour apple up front; it has a somewhat enjoyable tartness, but when it hits the back of the throat, there's a powerful, drying paint thinner burn that seems designed to scrape my esophagus clean. As burning as this is on the way down, I'm half-wondering what it will do on the way out. Another taster screamed, "Make it stop!" as visions of the xenomorphs' blood from ALIENS passed through my head.

M: This is harsh. It really makes you appreciate how much restraint some good sours have to have.

O: This beer was hilariously fascinating. Three Floyds is widely regarded as one of the best breweries in the US; this attempt is one of the worst I've tried in the style. Not only was I unimpressed, I was embarrassed for having brought this and a Mikkeller beer to an otherwise nice tasting.

There are 298 other bottles out there: they must be hunted down and destroyed.

1.3/5  rDev -47.6%

Shared this amazing beer with the crowd at Pipeworks for Alex's (Masterski) birthday. I'm only a little sorry. 750 ml waxed bottle served in a New Glarus tasting glass. Bottle # 153/336.

A: Pours a clear yellow color with a bubbly body. A thick white head forms on the pour and sticks around for the long, long time it took me to finish a few ounces.

S: My first whiff into this beer is nail polish. Wonderful. Large sour notes with some harsh wood spice.

T: More nail polish with a dark sharpie marker note the lingers deep in the nostrils. There is an odd rotten oak flavor with a spicy battery acid and some heavy sour notes.

M: So weird. Light bodied, but there is on odd chalky feel with large carbonation. Mouth puckering sourness and just off putting.

O: Well, thankfully I didn't have to drink more than a few ounces. I'm glad I got to share this beast with the usual suspects and we never have to speak of this beer again.

1.33/5  rDev -46.4%

Reviewed from voice notes taken at a previous tasting.
Typed up in an attempt to finally consolidate all of my reviews in one place.

Shared by whitemomba.

I'm a huge FFF fanboy.... so please understand that this review is truthful. Painfully so.

Looks kinda like a gueuze... Golden yellow with a small white head.

Smells like easter egg dye.
You know that smell-- that vinegar/chemical/fake wood/formaldehyde. Actually, it smells like easter egg dye in an open vat in a room fitted with fresh wood paneling.

Little musty... Little earthy.... Little sour... But nothing really GOOD going on here. The aftertaste is actually QUITE unpleasant. Umm... Wow.

This is a bit overcarbonated... And it's like dirty and dank. Just burns funny.

Overall-- not a beer that's worth getting. If you have one: TRADE IT.
If you don't have one: consider yourself lucky.

Really sad.

1.35/5  rDev -45.6%

Thanks to Ryan (Treebs) for bringing this to my birthday party. Served in a taster glass.

A - White foam settles to a thin collar, topping a lightly hazed golden body. Looks like a golden sour alright.

S - A delightful blend of nail polisher remover, acetic acid, uric acid, and tart apple skins. Nostril-singing.

T - The taste is a touch less sour than the smell suggests, but it's got a lovely chemical flavor mingling with the various bilious acids. I see someone has mentioned latex gloves in another review, but I get a bit more window cleaner to be honest.

M - Medium body, moderate-to-lower carbonation, and comical, barbaric acidity. Dry and moisture-obliterating. If it weren't for the induction of gastrointestinal distress, this would be reasonably appropriate for the style.

D - Unequivocally the worst thing Three Floyds has even produced. Even Brandy Klaus had a few positive attributes. Thanks to everyone at my birthday party for removing one of these from existence.

1.5/5  rDev -39.5%

1.58/5  rDev -36.3%

Shared this with the line at the Better Half release. Glad I didnt try to drink this one by myself.
I was really excited when I heard about it. Was looking forward to a funky sour.
Tastes like nail polish remover. Acetone city. No funk. Just nail polish remover.
Nothing redeeming about this one.
I cant believe they actually sold bottles of this. Not only that but I paid $20+ for the two bottles I picked up.
3 floyds should issue a refund.

1.65/5  rDev -33.5%

Purchased at XV party.. Shared with group at Yazoo Fortuitous release- sorry guys, haha.

A- Pours a nice golden orange color with a finger of foamy light head. Very stable though no lacing on the glass.

S- Nice light funky aroma with some fruity, lemony tones and green apple thats not acetylaldehyde. Has a wheaty and hay-like presence as well.

T/M- Holy shit. Acetone mess! Hot, nasty, medicinal, glass of garbage. Has a gross rubbery, latex glove like disgusting flavor. Absolutely not a single redeeming quality in the flavor here. Body was light and carbonated, but it didn't matter because the best body in the world couldn't save this.

O- I'm one of the biggest FFF fanboys, but even I have to say this is one the worst beers I've ever had! I'll take a Miller Light over this any day...

Biggs' 'stache from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub