Black Sun Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Black Sun StoutBlack Sun Stout

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  6.50% ABV

6.5% ABV, 50 IBUs - Black Sun has a nose of coffee, roasted malts and piney hops. This medium bodied stout has a broad depth of maltiness and a clean dry finish. December release.

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-16-2002)
mchorvath

1.5/5  rDev -62.8%

01-26-2012 13:41:57 | More by yeahman
bigfnjoe

1.8/5  rDev -55.3%

Poured from a bomber into a perfect pint

A- pours jet black with a one and a half finger tan colored head. Head sticks around for awhile, lacing is awesome.

S- smells almost perfumey...a little weird for a stout. Maybe some pine, and maybe a little oak...it almost smells infected? Not really sure, but it's not the most typical smell for a stout

T- oh dear god, it doesn't taste like a stout AT ALL. Very perfumey...to the point where I'm not sure if I can drink this. It tastes like someone sprayed something in my mouth, and this is coming from someone who loves IPAs. Infection?

M- can't get past the flavor...gross

D- I'm gagging with each sip. Drain pour. Hugely disappointing

02-26-2011 18:00:02 | More by bigfnjoe
biglite351

2.23/5  rDev -44.7%

A - Pitch black with a rootbeer like head

S - Old shoe leather, malt and rotting fruit

T - Roasted malts, dark fruit, slight sour hint and leather

M - to the thinner side. Slight tingle on sides of tongue and back of throat

O - better than any "big box' beer but a pass other wise.

03-28-2012 22:41:57 | More by biglite351
Photo of

2.5/5  rDev -38%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

11-10-2012 03:26:46 | More by
bkilpatr

Oregon

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/17/08

The bottle says "it's not normal" and after opening it I can understand why. Massive hop aromas hit as soon as I pop the cap.

It pours black with huge tan head, almost 4 fingers. I didn't pour that vigorously either. The head stays with it, and leaves good lacing around the glass. Smells mostly of grassy hops, with some chocolate also. Doesn't really smell like a stout to me, with all the hops.

Taste is similar to the smell. Very hoppy with bits of chocolate and roasted coffee. Nothing in the taste really says stout to me - the hops way overpower the malts. Very dry and bitter. Full bodied with medium carbonation. I couldn't drink more than one of these if I wanted to - the hoppiness is too much for me (for a stout).

Definitely 'not normal', the oddest Irish stout I've had. Hoppier than I am used to for a stout. I'm not sure I'll be visiting this one again.

03-18-2008 03:17:13 | More by bkilpatr
Cresant

Kentucky

2.58/5  rDev -36%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a British pint glass. No date on the label, but I have had this bottle over a year. A vigorous pour created two fingers of chocolate malt colored head. The body was solid brown with only the faintest root-beer colored highlights.

Smell was molasses. There was a slight sour rag aroma as well as roof tar and grains.

Taste was mild all around. Lightly tangy and chocolate-like.

Mouthfeel was thin to medium with light carbonation. Very similar to many Irish Dry Stouts. I probably made a mistake cellaring this one. I believed this to be a higher alcohol/heavier stout.

04-04-2008 14:57:15 | More by Cresant
KDawg

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from bomber into a pint glass. Pours a straight black color with a foamy head

the hop aromas are a bit odd along with more expected aromas of roasted coffee beans, malts and hot caramel

The flavors were a complete mess. The hops really dominated and left a bitter aftertaste. The feel was pretty good, but it didn't make up for how bad the hop flavor was on this

Very disappointing. The hops completely overpowered the other flavors when tasting it while they were pulled back a bit with the aromas. Not one of the better beers on the day

02-06-2012 22:33:15 | More by KDawg
TheBierBoutique

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

03-24-2012 01:53:52 | More by TheBierBoutique
Crosling

Colorado

2.9/5  rDev -28%

You really have to chew the hell out of this beer to get any sort of complex malt character and even then, there is hardly a hint of goodness. It’s outrageously hoppy in both the aroma and flavor. It’s unbalanced for me, way too hoppy and i like hoppy beers. Not enjoyable, but finishable.

02-09-2007 17:37:51 | More by Crosling
ncvbc

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

This review...it's not normal. This beer isn't either. Quite the interesting take on an Irish Dry

Pours nearly inky black. Good light tan head and some sticky lacing on the glass. Smell is pretty good but odd. A little roasted coffee up front. Light cherry mixed with big vanilla scents. I keep thinking I smell coconut. It reminds me of Malibu rum or suntan lotion...I don't know. Rich chocolate in there too with a hint of hop presence. Sweet taste at first, followed by some roast and then bitter finish from the hops. The hops aren't so up front at first but they get stronger the more of this I drink and come through more in the smell also. Despite this, the mouthfeel is solid and fairly creamy with a nice dry finish. I don't know what it is about this one, but I'm not really liking it. Struggled through the bomber. Doesn't remind me much of what it should. Lots of flavor but it's not really right or in check. Seems true to the FFF style of brews, though. Assertive with the hops and definitely an interesting take. Not at all what I expected.

Thanks to lightindarkness for the chance to try this

04-27-2008 20:55:17 | More by ncvbc
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours black, like it should with that name. A little more than a finger of fizzy, loose, brown foam sits on top. This looks like black soda pop, seriously. The bubbles are clinging to the inside of the glass. The head dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't even leave a ring behind. There is no lacing, but there is a light oiliness on the sides of the glass.

The first scent that I get is hops. I expect this from 3Floyds, but I don't expect it from a stout, so I'm a little torn, as to whether I like it or not. There is a big, dark roasted malt presence behind it. The grapefruit and pine needles are really throwing me off.

The big dark, roasty malts are out front. There are some very minor notes of vanilla and toasted caramel coming through, but they get crushed by the bitter hops finish. The finish is dry and somewhat like roasted pine needles.

Medium-bodied and overly carbonated are not a good combination to have, especially in a stout.

No more for me, thanks. I do NOT like big hops notes in my stouts. If I had anymore, I'd give them away. It's a well-made beer, but it's not for me.

09-17-2009 04:28:03 | More by coldmeat23
jakester

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet.

Pours an inky jet black with a 1/2 finger head of brown foam. The head falls to tiny spots and a ring, with minimal lacing.

The aroma is really different. Strong chocolate and coffee yes, but strong vanilla as well. Dark dried fruits, (really dark). Hop aroma is very piney/floral. Not real sure this is going to work.

Flavor is coffee and chocolate, with strong vanilla. Hop flavor is very piney. I have never tasted a beer like this. Hop bitterness is high. Dark fruits like prunes, raisins and cherries. There is an odd flavor here I'm not sure I like. Aftertaste is black coffee and pine needles.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a very soft carbonation, bordering on watery. Coffee and hop combination are slightly puckering. Dark malts and hops feel oily on the tongue. Finish dries out nicely.

I usually love everything from 3 F's, but this just doesn't work for me. I think this choice of chocolate, coffee, and piney flavoring hops isn't a good combination. Something is really odd in this beer. I probably would not get it again.

01-21-2006 14:37:56 | More by jakester
ChadQuest

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

A year old bottle. I try to let the hops fade in stouts at least a little bit.

light looking body with a head that is about a finger or more, loose and dissipates.
Nose is roast forward with strong hops batting second, hint of coffee in the roast.
Flavors are roasty and dry chocolate for most. hops brighten this up somewhat in a citrus sort of manor.
Mouthfeel is thinner and more carbonated then i prefer for the style.

Decent beer, but out of my price range for what it is, but maybe there just isn't enough going on besides the hops. When i age other hoppy beers like Expo or Yeti they turn out great, this one, not so much.

3/c = Average

12-02-2012 04:27:12 | More by ChadQuest
Oxymoron

Colorado

2.98/5  rDev -26.1%

Soundgarden was here? Pours a midnight shade of black. Some red hues around the edge. A good pour left a good sized light tan head. Ok retention but limited lacing.

The nose has a nice malt and a hoppy aroma, a bit odd. To start the malt has a nice chocolate vs roast battle going on. At first there is a nice dark chocolate noses but if you swirl it the roast comes out more. As it warms the roast is more prominent as well. There is a floral and citrus hop note that really comes out as well. Distracts from the malt a bit and really doesn't fit.

The taste has the same problem with the hops but not as bad as the nose. The malt comes out more with a more chocolate note with some astringency in the back end. There is a lactic quality that is similar to oats. Some citrus notes that distract in the finish. Somewhat hides some oxidation and phenolic notes. The aftertaste is bit mixed/muddled.

The body is moderate. Would have liked a much drier finish and crispness for style. Overall the beer is not bad but the hop is a bit much and some off notes in the nose and taste really distract.

12-05-2008 21:59:09 | More by Oxymoron
DWolf

01-15-2012 21:37:24 | More by DWolf
KingHenry

08-28-2012 00:07:26 | More by KingHenry
Deetz

11-11-2012 22:51:52 | More by Deetz
Lnedrive14

Mild hops, but let's be real, this is a malt bomb. Big, chewy thick, black with no head. Nose was very mild - really couldnt get anything out of it, which is somehwat how i found hte taste as well. A little bit of licorice and maybe some cream sensation (oatmeal perhaps?) but there is very little to this beer.

Not at all what I expect from Three Floyds. Just no character whatsoever.

08-21-2006 00:49:30 | More by Lnedrive14