Formorian Priestess - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Formorian Priestess
No picture.
good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-08-2012

There is smoke that billows from the realms we dare not name. The Formorian Priestess dwells within these realms and this is our tribute to her in smoked lager form. Crisp, slightly malty and refreshing this lager is sure to satisfy even her.
to view more.
Ratings: 41 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by larbush:
3.07/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap in a pint glass, poured an absolutely clear yellow with a very white head. Light lacing. Smell was a little off putting to be honest, great smoke smell as well notes of bacon and maple. Couldn't smell the beer through the smokiness but I would attribute that to the fact it is a lager. Taste felt unrefined but palatable, not my cup of beer to be honest. I've had a smoked stout before and I enjoyed it quite a bit but a smoked lager just doesn't have the body to cut through the bacon/smoked peat flavor. Taste was overwhelmingly bacon grease and peat. Probably a good beer for fans of the style but I would take the pass if I saw this on tap again.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Served in a Three Floyds XV Anniversary tulip pint glass at Fountainhead.

I just had to try this, a new smoked beer from the Floyds. Had to. It pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat and light hickory smoke. The taste holds notes of hickory smoke, lightly funky wheat, and light sourdough. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, a nice little smoked beer, but not much going on with it. The smoke is nicely balanced, though.

4.52/5  rDev +25.2%

Nice smokey taste good with a cheese plate outside

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Normally, you find smoked porters but very interesting when you find a smoked pilsner.

It's pours a clear/clean gold, nice carbonation with a quarter inch head. This beer had a lot of smokey flavor and I liken to drinking a beer too close to a campfire because all you're really tasting at that point is the smoke.

Overall though, I enjoyed the beer. It was easy drinking, had a nice feel to it but I think I'll stick to smokey porters if I'm gonna go this route.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Had this on-tap at Three Floyds on Christmas Eve.

A: Pretty much crystal clear orange, with about a 1/4 finger head that stuck around for a bit.

S: Sure, I got some bacon grease, but overall, this wasn't too potent. I could literally smell the hops, grains, and barley poking through also, which was a good thing.

T: Bitter bacon and sausage aftertaste, but not nearly as intense as "Ham on Rye."Still, this was quite yeasty, with a very tasty, voluptuous quality. The smoke didn't dominate at all.

M: This was a fairly clean beer on the palate, highly drinkable, and with substantial lacing.

O: The bartender and I had a brief discussion about our aversions to smoked beers. He told me beforehand that this particular one was one of the only ones that he actually likes. Since I had just had the Rogue Voodoo Donut the night before, I totally wasn't in the mood for this. However, I'm glad I let the bartender talk me into it.

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

On-tap at Big Star. Served in a pint/pils glass hybrid.

A - Transparent golden body is topped by a white foam that settles to wisps, a collar, and a few fingers of lacing. Solid retention and good clarity.

S - Intensely smoked, with hickory, campfire, and charcoal grill. There's a light malt sweetness, as well as some yeasty bread supporting things.

T - The taste is quite similar; intense notes of smoke, hickory, toasted bread, a touch of fruity sweetness, and some honey-glazed ham.

M - Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Smooth and very easy to drink, without excessive mouth-coating smoke like some beers of this ilk.

D - A very well-made smoked lager. If you're into Schlenkerla Helles check this one out, as it's in a similar vein. I also appreciated the $4 price point. Could easily consume a few glasses of this one in an evening without excessive palate fatigue.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Enjoyed at the brewpub

Pours a clear straw/golden color with a finger of white head. Moderate lacing

The nose has some smokiness to it that isn't overbearing like a lot of smoked beers. There is some sweet malt noticed once I give it a big whiff. Hidden ABV.

The flavors of this beer make me want to drink it around a campfire. There is an actually tasty smoke flavor that is easy on the palate. Mild sweet fruits lie in the background.

The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall, one of the better smoked beers I have had.

to view more.
Formorian Priestess from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.