Murda'd Out Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Murda'd Out StoutMurda'd Out Stout

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.90% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-12-2012

When Baller Stout was created, bourbon barrels were filled with Surly Darkness, Three Floyds Dark Lord, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch. These were aged for 14 months separately and blended together to taste.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am from near the Three Floyds Brewery, but now live and work in Germany. When I traveled home recently and visited 3F (as I always do) I was very pleasantly surprised to see them offering limited release barrel aged beers. I was lucky to have the chance to buy this and other beers that day.

I asked how long to age it and they said "It's ready NOW. It's all there." So, we opened it forthwith!

Pours black as death like my favorite BAs with that rare dark head.

The smell is so thick. A sticky sweetness that makes a lot of promises for flavor.

Taste exceeds expectation: raisins, cherries, dates, molasses, and brown sugar abound in this very full-bodied brew. You don't have to be a cicerone to detect the forward flavors here.

For now, this is the best beer I've ever had. It will be a long time before I have better. I look forward to it! (851 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Folks, we've got a monster on our hands! The incredible fusion of some of the best masterminds in the stout-brewing industry results in the perfect blend of all things that are best about stouts.

Simply and purely black, the beer is predictably opaque and extremely dense to the eye. Its milkshake-like consistency slowly releases a thick and creamy, mocha-whipped foam that retains well and laces fairly- its obvious that the sheer strength and age has compromised its foam character a little.

Powerfully robust aromas seduce the nose with tantalizing chocolate, espresso, molasses, and wine-like fruits. Its aged "sherry-like" savoriness gives the beer a touch of meaty (almost soy-sauce) character that's met with wine-like tartness and a smooth scent of baking chocolate cake.

Flavors are equally as refined and melded. Roasted malts provide silky espresso taste with earthy bitterness. Supporting sweetness is strong with burnt toffee, caramel, molasses, and chocolate. And then the savory flavors occur and carry the beer into finish with mouthwatering succulence. Umami-rich sherry and port meets caramelized grains and aged nuances in ways that are normally reserved for dopplebocks. Earthy flavors of wood alcohol, ripe tobacco, and red wine vinous-ness, weave into the beer's complex taste and offer surprises with every sip.

Its robust textures engulf the mouth with viscous weight and a little cocoa grit. Potent alcohols slice through the residual malts and warm the palate and offer up slight dryness. Finishing malty-sweet, the beer celebrates its flavor with infinite aftertaste.

The deliberate cellaring of each beer of the blend and its ultimate coming together is proof in taste that the whole is indeed greater than the sum of the parts. Simply put- beers just don't get better! (1,804 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into a Hunaphu snifter. Thanks Wade, this looks great!

A ~ Deep black coloring with a ring of dark foam. Some lacing, not sticky though...

S ~ Bourbon nose with a bit of espresso.

T ~ Soft feel with little harshness. Kinda reminds me of Rare? Rare with some sweetness and maple maybe, fantastic taste, I can barely put It down... The Bourbon is perfectly blended which is saying something for a beer that's a collaboration already.

M ~ Nice feel, not to sticky.

O ~ Only thing I didn't like about this beer is how difficult it was to score one. Fantastic taste, this is a quality brew. My favorite FFF offering yet (I know, it's a collab but still). (662 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to Joe for sharing this rarity.

Poured pitch black. Inky, deathly, and murderous. It donned a brown cap and left its sticky resin in my Duvel tulip. Really big. There is a lot going on here and I don't even know where to start. Huge bourbon notes of caramel, vanilla, oak, and toffee. Lots of sweetness and malt. Bit of dates and black currants thrown in. Wonderfully blended and delicious. The body is sticky and sweet with a HUGE thickness. One of the thickest beers I've ever had. Velvety carbonation. Boozy and alcoholic finish that does not detract from the beer at all. I think this beer is absolutely fantastic and I highly recommend seeking it out. (664 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Cheers to my sister for this one. 6 oz. in a FFF Rastal (how befitting) on December 28th, 2012.

A - Much darker and more menacing than Baller. Deep brown, black coloring with a ring of medium khaki foam. No significant lacing but considerable legs.

S - Dominant bourbon barrel. Rich cake batter and espresso. Very soft chocolate covered cherry and alcohol solvency underneath.

T - Front palate hits quick with a surge of brown sugar sweetness. Mid palate blends a tandem of milk and dark chocolate bar followed by honey and caramel. The palate is sweet, no doubt, but the sweetness is multi-dimensional and not overbearing. Backend asserts oak barrel and light roasted cashew. A nice touch of oak tannins recalls BCBS Rare - I wonder if any of the four components saw PVW barrels, because it tastes like they may have.

M - Medium body, appropriate low carbonation, semi-dry finish.

D - Everything about this is better than FFF's 15th anniversary beer. The separate recipes integrate well and the blend is coherent. For the price, this needed to be every bit as good as it is, and I am very happy to taste a BA FFF with real purpose (finally!). (1,149 characters)

22oz bottle picked up from brew pub. Didn't flinch at the $50, just had to drink this BA Brew.

Let me start by saying that while this is touted as BA Baller stout. Its is not the same beer. What it is actually is all four of the Stouts that make up Baller Stout. Dark lord, Darkness, BG brunch and Black Albert. That were Barrel aged separately and then blended. Not Baller aged in barrels.

This is a complex brew. It's is Dark in appearance, very Dark. Solid thick head of tan goodness. Looks plain tasty!
Bourbon smell off the bat, smells of rich chocolate, dark fruits, hint of coffee. This one you will notice you are smelling between every taste.

Take your first mouthful. Dobt sip the first one, better fill the pallet as its going to get active quickly. Taste the chocolate, the bourbon is there, some fruits and more chocolate cherry bourbon swirl. Truly a delight!

I really enjoy the creamy thick mouthfeel of this one. Big body especially compared to other bourbon feels. It's perfect.

This beer is top notch. It beats BCBS easy, smokes KBS( especially this years) and I would put this up there with any stout. It does fit my tastes perfectly. And I only wish I could get one fresh off a tap. Lots of complexity, but it blends terrificly.
I was able to puck up a couple more and will have a hard time cellaring this beer.
Sucks that is may never be made again! Can only hope the 20yr at FFF is comparable.
Cheers (1,428 characters)

4.55/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased a bomber of this brew at the Three Floyds Brewery for a hefty price.

Appearance: Dark, very dark. The pour produced a slight half finger of head which had a dark red color to it. Head retained well and slowly crept down the glass.

Smell: Strong bourbon barreled presence is in the aroma. Dark fruit aroma creeps through which surprisingly mixed pretty well with the bourbon accents.

Taste: WOW, no doubt a potent stout. My guess on the ABV has to be around 15-16%. While the high alcohol content is there, plenty else is happening with this brew. A cherry, fruity flavor is accompanied by the creamy bourbon presence. A strong body to this beer but I honestly expected it to be a bit heavier. No doubt that this is an absolute treat though.

Mouthfeel: One of my favorite aspects of this beer. Creamy texture covers the palette and sticks to your touch whether you like it or not. Smooth mouthfeel despite high ABV.

Overall: A really wonderful stout. I wouldn't put it with a KBS or some of the Bourbon County products but it is certainly not far off. The hefty price tag for this beer made the expectations for this beer very high and I would say they were met, not exceeded. Glad I gave this beer a try or I would forever wish I had gave it a shot, not knowing if the opportunity to try it again would arise. (1,328 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

This is my first review on BA, and this beer DESERVES to be the first! I thought I had spoiled myself with BCS & variants this holiday season, but this just took the cake ringing in the New Year! This beer was WONDERFUL! It hit so high on every note! A lot of mouthfeel, had a dark chocolate color, with great tan head, and a lot of complexity going on with the taste; chocolates, coffee?, roasty... This is the best stout I've had yet. Overall this beer was like a Baller Stout kicked way up! Aging the others for the years to come! (533 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Fantastic beer! It had a slight smell of chocolate and cherries. The barrel flavor did not overpower the other flavors as it can in other barrel aged beers. If the beer was just a slight bit thicker, I would have given it a 5 for mouthfeel and appearance and a 5 overall. This one was great and I'd love to try it again. (320 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%

If you have had the baller you pretty much had this...very delicious but im not getting enough of the barrel aged flavor out of this one. I expected more for $50. Dont get me wrong this is absolutely delicious but I would just buy the $30 bottle of the regular baller stout. (274 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Murda'd Out Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.