Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,008
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

to view more.
Ratings: 2,197 | Reviews: 254
3.86/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice fresh citrusy hop smell. Grapefruit and dank hops hit you first but are followed quickly by a ton of sweetness. Can think of plenty of DIPAs I would take over this.

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy orange with a dense white head. A pure unfiltered look. Monster citra hop aroma: orange peel, mango, tangerine, papaya. Juicy and tropical. Taste is well balanced with robust hops and bitterness, but a chewy, creamy, bready malt base. The initial wave of flavor is refreshing and spot on.

Overall, this is outstanding. Fuller body than others of its style and it is quite balanced for an IIPA, but a terrific take on the style. Right there with Dreadnaught as my favorite FFF has to offer.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle into both a snifter and teku.

Really nice looking beer, a hazy peach color with a decent sized, bubbly head. Smells of citrusy, dank hops with lots of grapefruit, some malt, hint of a sweet smell. Taste follows the nose with the grapefruit. More malt forward than the nose, but this is a really well balanced beer. Good amount of bitterness up front, the malt backbone mellows that on the back end. Delicious. Very nice body and feel, very satisfying. A little dry, more than usual for the style.

This is an excellent beer, a top notch DIPA. Will be a repeat purchase when available. Well worth your hard earned bucks.

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap several times. A nice fruit-forward IPA. More fruity than what the spiciness I get from Dreadnaught.

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is an awesome beer

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice balance. Malty sweetness and citra hops.

2.8/5  rDev -38.2%

Why this beer gets 100 on BeerAdvocate is beyond me. this beer tastes stale and oxidized, cloying with the malt, and I drank a fresh bottle! (only 3 weeks old). 3Floyds is just not good with IPAs. Stouts yes, but their IPAs suck. they need to learn how to brew a new age IPA like New England.

2.78/5  rDev -38.6%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter....then into the sink.

I'm resigned to the fact that certain flavor profiles must not be compatible with my palate. This was a bottle less than 30 days old, and was reminiscent of stale, cold french onion soup. Looked nice, didn't smell terrible, but the taste of garlic and onion was overwhelming. Bad bottle? I don't know. Maybe I'll find out someday. As much I adore Gumballhead and Zombie Dust, this was an epic 3F's failure for me. I'll chalk it up as an "it wasn't meant to be" experience and move on.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

my favorite DIPA from FFF

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%

Intense ipa! really nice fruit flavor with a bunch of hops

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/4.25/3.75/4/4.25
Served on tap at Mikkeller Bar Bangkok.
Earthy spicy fruity garlicky hops. Really rich and sweet. I'm not sure I love this. It's a bit...much? It tries to do too much. The aftertaste though is overwhelming. It doesn't end. I can't get it to go away. It clings through water, through pickles. It's a candied papaya sort of flavor with drying bitterness. Candy like and increasingly pleasant the more I drink. What a DIPA. Color me impressed, but one is enough forever.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed at Hunahpu's Day 2015 at Cigar City Brewery.

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Seriously the nose on this..

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

The single best double/imperial IPA I have ever had.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my all time favorites!

3.98/5  rDev -12.1%

I think the label design is actually better than the beer. This is a perfect example of a beer that is overrated because it comes from a trusted brewery. Love 3 Floyds, but there's no way that this brew deserves a Top spot.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At Huna '15 this was an incredibly delicious IPA. I had this right after drinking heady. Less orange/peach but more body, better aroma, and all around better IPA for my money.

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

Good into one with a friend last night thanks to a trade. Poured from the bomber into a Teku glass.

A) Cloudy, hazy, orange. moderate foam head.

S) lots of tropical fruits and melons. lots of complexity in smell though. One of the best smelling beers out there. Bready Three Floyds malt bill/ yeast is there though. You know its a 3Floyds Just a wonderful beer to drink. I love Dreadnaught but this tastes better.

f) Full, chewy, resin

o) Outstanding beer. One of the best DIPA out there. Would love a heady vs PF comparison. For me this was better as I tried to remember the Heady . It is a lovely beer, the label although cool does not give the beer justice because it is not harsh in any way. Instead it is a fruity testament to hops. With the famed 3Floyds malt and yeast. Grandslam for me.

T) Damn its good. All those tropical flavors hit home. Mango, melon, a little grapefruit. bitterness is low despite the quoted 100IBU. Alcohol is non-existent. You could sip it or crush it almost.

4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

I could drink this every day. Absolutely one of the best beers I have ever had. The heavy fruity, citrusy taste, mixed with a light bitterness is what I look for in a IPA/DIPA. You can't go wrong with this one!

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy honey golden orange with quite a bit of solids in suspension with a thin layer of off-white foam.

Juicy tropical hops, notes of mango, papaya, pineapple, peach, and some pine.

Very tropical, flavor matches aroma quite well with notes of mango, pineapple, grapefruit, resin, and earthy pine.

Medium-bodied, light carbonation, chewy, juicy and tropical resin, and some piney bitterness.

Overall, not the best DIPA, but certainly a top 10 for me.

4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap at FFF brewpub poured into half pint. Appearance is that typical Floyd’s slightly hazy orange-copper color with an internal radiance that may have been fueled by my excitement that they re-tapped this beer after running out of one of their guest handles. A thin off-white cap remains in place for the duration and leaves rings. Aroma is tropical fruit, pineapple, orange, grapefruit peel, resin, pine, and caramel. Taste is medium citrus hop bitterness trailed by light malt sweetness. Medium bodied, oily and syrup thick texture, average to soft carbonation, finishes dry and bitter.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this 100 times, whether via draft at Three Floyd's Pub or bomber, and I love it. BUT.... this is the only beer that made me and my dad look each other in the eye and say "wow, this is the best beer ever", upon having our first sip together.

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Aroma is outstanding in this beer, lots of juicy peach with some nice citrus, and some really dank pine to it. Flavor doesnt follow through though, very sweet and unbalanced.

On tap at the brewery w/ a cheese plate, girlfriend beside me, and nowhere else to go on a rainy August night. I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a beer more; perhaps the only instance close to this may have been trying Sip of Sunshine on tap at Prohibition Pig in Vermont - though the awesomeness of that is so much less in your face compared to what you get at 3 Floyds.

The beer itself... so juicy. So hoppy. So well balanced for a beer this big. Still blown away.

BRUTAL label, love everything about this beer. I'm a floyds fanboy and this is why. Zombie on steroids? Drink it fresh.

to view more.
Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.