Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,077
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 266 | Hads: 2,467

Was able to drink this bottle when it was only 7 days old.

Pours a rich and dark orange. Looks very much like a DIPA.

The nose is wonderful. So much citrus and pine. Pineapple and grapefruit. Very sweet smelling. Exactly what I look for in the aroma of an ipa.

The taste is absolutely amazing. This tastes like fresh, wet hops. The pure hop flavor shines through in this as much as any DIPA I have ever had (reminds me of Pliny in that way). Tropical fruits are on the tongue just like the nose: grapefruit, mango, sweet hone, etc. There is some pine and dankness as well. The perfect balance for me. As much as I love Dreadnaught, Alpha King, Zombie Dust, Arctic Panzer Wolf, etc., this is the best FFF offering imo. An absolutely stunning beer that you should definitely get your hands on.

A - Frothy white head several fingers high. Great head retention and lacing. Pours a golden orange.

S - Incredible hop aroma. Strong Tangerine citrus aroma. Slight cookie-like malt peeking through.

T - Just about the best thing I've ever tasted. It tastes like they made a double zombie dust and dumped a bunch of tangerines in. The high alcohol levels are brilliantly hidden by the sweet citrus and intense bitterness in the finish.

M - Fairly thick, slightly viscous mouthfeel, but still fairly drinkable for a high abv beer like this. Perfect for this style.

O - One of, if not my all-time favorite beers. I get this every chance I get. I cannot emphasize the importance of freshness with this one though. I've had it several times in a bomber a couple weeks after being bottled, and it was amazing; however, I had it on draft at a place that tapped it 6 months ago, and it was a completely different beer. The tangerine and citrus hop aroma and flavor were gone, and all that was left was malt and intense bitterness.

Poured from bomber into Teku glass.

A. Golden staw color with nice two inch head. Great clarity, head retention, and lacing.

S. Pineapple, tropical fruits, with an undertone of pine. One of the best aromas I have encountered on a double ipa.

T. Amazing, this beer meets all expectations. Citrus, and Southern Hemisphere hops great tasting beer. It was balanced with a little more hop bitterness than malt, which is what I prefer.

M. Carbonation was nice yet easy and dry on the finish, taste stays on the tongue for a second.

O. Easily one of the best IIPA's I have ever had. There is a reason Three Floyds is known for great beers. Get this beer if you can!

(I was lucky to get a fresh bottle, I don't know how it would change with time.)

A - looks as good as it can get

S - citra domination

T - huuuuge tropical fruits.

M - impossibly drinkable for 10.5%. Such an amazing feat

O - Perfection in a glass. Citra hops dominate the palate with such vibrancy. Favorite FFF beer no doubt

This is by the perfect beer for me. The smell and the taste is just amazing. I love the thick body for the beer. You can't even tell the high 10.5 abv. This beer is not always available at the brewpub and I really wish it was. Well actually not cause I would go broke cause I would always keep my fride full.

stopped reviewing but compelled to do this one. clear golden/light amber w/persistent white head and lace. the nose just pops. huge fresh berry aroma-are these some newfangled hops? also some citrus, tropical fruit. none of that overripe fruit/rotten banana thing i hate in some dipas. just enough pale malt sweetness to showcase these beautifully juicy hops. big lingering bitterness but not sharp or astringent. i love me some dreadnaught but went back to pick up bombers of these. please make this available year round. phenomenal!

This is the perfect beer. From the second I poured it you can smell the grapefruit. I split a bottle with my wife (who hates IPAs). She was blown away by it. The best I've ever had hands down. There's no way this is 10.5 abv. There's not a single hint of alcohol in it. Just liquid gold.

Aroma is not overwelming, which to me means this is not dry hopped with Citra like many other DIPAS. Just hints of citrus, some pine.
Poured into a snifter, appearance is dark orange, somewhat cloudy, 2/3 inch foam which retains well.
Mouthfeel is soft, creamy, carbonation is medium.
TASTE IS PURE Orange/citrus. I can hardly detect any alcohol. This could be a substitute for a 10year old's Ecto-cooler juicebox. Again not really that bitter lemon/grapefruit, this is pure tangerine type citrus hops.
I could drink like 6 of these bombers.

On tap at the brewery w/ a cheese plate, girlfriend beside me, and nowhere else to go on a rainy August night. I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a beer more; perhaps the only instance close to this may have been trying Sip of Sunshine on tap at Prohibition Pig in Vermont - though the awesomeness of that is so much less in your face compared to what you get at 3 Floyds.

The beer itself... so juicy. So hoppy. So well balanced for a beer this big. Still blown away.

Really hope they make this again some day. Maybe my favorite mega IPA ever. Went to the brewery on 6/14/2013 and they didn't have any more of this one and I was crushed. Ended up finding a bar that was selling them by the bomber and drank two of them.

Poured into an oversized wine glass

Appearance:Perfect dense golden color with a steady nice head of about an inch.
Smell: Passion fruit and pine with hints of citrus .
Taste: Perfect balanced not bitter, refreshing citrus and piney flavor.
Mouthfeel: Not sweet or bitter,almost perfect carbonation, great pine like after taste.
Overall: Huge beer, definitely in my Top 5 all time. Unique aroma of passion fruit and pine with hints of citrus. A must try !

Appearance: A glorious gamboge/amber head with an isabelline/ivory head.

Aroma: Profound notes of mango, orange, and grapefruit.

Taste: Floral notes, burnt citrus, pine, and what I would best describe as 'spicy honey'.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and crisp with a smooth, malty finish.

Overall: One of the best IPAs I have had not only from 3F, but overall; this one is a winner.

Holy shit! I cannot how believe how much of a grapefruit bomb this beer is and how light bodied it is for 10.5% ABV! I am sure their must be a good deal of corn sugar in here to make it this light but the way it is used is exceptional.

I love 3-F's but I had never heard of this but I figures why not but at $15 for a pale ale I thought it was a gamble. Turns out I hit the full on beer jackpot!

A - Beautiful vibrant orange color. Brightly opaque capturing all of the light in it's brilliantly dry hopped body with a perfect fine white head and moderate lacing.

S - Extremely strong hop fragrance with tons of tropical fruit that you would ever want all packed into one glass. Mostly a papaya, pineapple, and mango mixture that I can barely describe the awesomeness. Could smell it as I opened the bottle. Like a grownups candy it makes your mouth water. Definitely the best smelling beer ever!

T - Beastly hop flavor with a full fruit bouquet hop character with tons of tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, and dank resin hops to round yield one of the greatest beers ever made. If you like tropical flavored hops by the bucket full this is a great beer. There is some malt and the slightest amount of alcohol but it's all masked by the hop explosion on your taste buds. The bitterness seems perfect without detracting from the amazing hop flavor. This is clearly a Citra lovers wet dream. I would alike it to Zombie Dust that has been infused with gamma rays and turned into a Zombie Hulk!

M - The perfect medium mouth-feel with perfect carbonation. Basically only the hops sit on the tongue but some how it isn't too much and I never wanted to stop drinking it.

Overall, probably the best beer I've ever had. Amazing aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. This brew is absolutely perfect for every hop head out there that loves tropical flavored hops. This beer went down fast and I wish I could have it's grace in my presence again. Super rare but I would shell out big $$ to get this again, any day.

Glass- Tulip

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

A-amber color just slightly less than clear. Initial 1" head from a vigerous pour and continual lacing that clings perfectly down for the remainder of the bottle.
S-pine and tropical fruits. My favorite aspect of this beer.
T-tropical fruits, pine and resinous
M-as chewy as it gets in an IPA
O-this is my favorite beer to date. It's like that first album by your favorite band. It's perfect because it's gritty and there are so many rough edges (imperfections).
FFF, congrats to the medal at 2013 GABFEST.
Also, please do not declare a permanent funeral on Permanent Funeral

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

I could drink this every day. Absolutely one of the best beers I have ever had. The heavy fruity, citrusy taste, mixed with a light bitterness is what I look for in a IPA/DIPA. You can't go wrong with this one!

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer is perfection. It ha got to be a imperial Zombie Dust. I am three floyds crazy and this is one of there best ever. I carry this beer and went through all 24 bombers in one day at the bar. I can not believe the aroma of citrus and the flavor they put in this beer. There is so much citrus to this beer it is amazing.

4.96/5  rDev +11%

Good into one with a friend last night thanks to a trade. Poured from the bomber into a Teku glass.

A) Cloudy, hazy, orange. moderate foam head.

S) lots of tropical fruits and melons. lots of complexity in smell though. One of the best smelling beers out there. Bready Three Floyds malt bill/ yeast is there though. You know its a 3Floyds Just a wonderful beer to drink. I love Dreadnaught but this tastes better.

f) Full, chewy, resin

o) Outstanding beer. One of the best DIPA out there. Would love a heady vs PF comparison. For me this was better as I tried to remember the Heady . It is a lovely beer, the label although cool does not give the beer justice because it is not harsh in any way. Instead it is a fruity testament to hops. With the famed 3Floyds malt and yeast. Grandslam for me.

T) Damn its good. All those tropical flavors hit home. Mango, melon, a little grapefruit. bitterness is low despite the quoted 100IBU. Alcohol is non-existent. You could sip it or crush it almost.

4.96/5  rDev +11%

Bottle purchased from 3 Floyds on 3/29 and consumed same day.

A- Looks like a DIPA, nothing to really analyze here. No real lacing present.

S- The smell is amazing. Great citrus notes initially. Followed up with that great earthy smell. When you first pour into the glass, the smell explodes and is present throughout the whole room.

T- Very well balanced. Not a ton of malty flavor but the hops compliment each other so well that it is not needed. There is a lot going on in this beer. Great citrus flavor initially followed by earthy taste. Pine is present as well.

This is such a treat. Didn't have huge expectations on this beer. This is easily one of Three Floyds best beers ever. An Imperial Zombie Dust is a fair assessment. If you can get your hands on this beer then DO IT!!!!

4.96/5  rDev +11%

No bottle date, but purchased 6wks ago.
This bad boy was on point!
Poured a murky orange with a nice white, resinous head. The smell had me catching a tropical scent: papaya, guava, citrus fruits. The taste was more of that tropical feel, just gushing. Sweet on the front end with a warm alcohol finish that lingered for a bit. Perfectly carbonated, on the verge of being creamy. This was absolutely phenomenal, and withstood a few weeks of mellowing out.

4.96/5  rDev +11%

A sensory overload of sweet tropical hops against a sturdy malt structure. This goes up against Pliny, Heady and the other titans and maybe it wins. A band collaboration now discontinued and allegedly never to return. Bring it back as Double Zombie Dust.

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

What a perfect DIPA! Had it on-tap in a tall pint glass in Perrysburg, Ohio at Swig. Thank you Three Floyd's and thank you Swig. At $9 a pint, I decided to switch to the much less expensive Ballast Point Sculpin after that. Might as well have had a Bud. Just couldn't taste the Sculpin after that amazing hop blast from 3F.

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

Was thrilled to find a bottle of this at Square Bar in Chicago. Beautiful color, amazing bottle art, but man the taste left much to be desired. An overwhelming bitter aftertaste that did not live up to the hype. For those worried they will never get to try this now retired beer, you're really not missing out.

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

Serving: 22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip. Dated 12/19/2014, making this just over 3 weeks old.

A: Pours a nice, bright orange color. Foamy 1-finger white head that sticks around. Has a nice haziness to it. Looks alive in the glass.

S: Huge! Mango, pineapple, papaya, tangerine, peach. This beer explodes right out of the bottle and fills the room instantly.

T: Oh man, wow! Huge tropical fruits up front. Mango, pineapple, peach, tangerine, papaya. Subtle hints of grapefruit zest. A touch of fruit juice sweetness on the back end. The flavor is unbelievably strong and just lights up your taste buds.

M: Here is where this beer sets itself apart from other DIPAs. Near perfect balance of bright tropical hop flavor and just the right balance of malt backbone. The not-too-bitter finish sticks around for just the right amount of time before fading and leaving a clean finish. I hate when big DIPAs get too sticky and resinous and just sit on your tongue. This one is so crisp and clean, and the alcohol is so well-hidden, it almost drinks like an IPA or pale ale, but is still full-bodied and powerful like a DIPA should be. It's kind of like Zombie Dust on steroids.

O: Ever since I first had this over a year ago, it's been my favorite DIPA of all-time. And I've revisited Heady since, I've tried Pliny and had Double Sunshine twice, etc. I've had most of them. But this one just stands apart for me. The aroma is huge and alive, the flavors are so bright and complex, and the mouthfeel and finish are just so perfectly balanced. My only knock would be that it can be a touch too sweet on the back end. Not cloying sweet, but like a ton of fruit juice was poured into your glass sweet. A minor complaint in an otherwise perfect beer. I know this beer has been Top 50 for a while, but I'm shocked that I can just pick it off the shelf with no limits every time they put it out. This beer is world-class and deserves a lot more attention in the DIPA world.

Recommendation: Must-try, hop-head or not.

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Appears a glowing orange copper hue with a big khaki tan beige head forming thick with a rocky textured head, fine speckled lacing layers on the sides of my chalice. Aroma is straight up citrus peels, pineapple flesh, and other tropical fruit notes flowing from the glass. So worth the drive to Newark, OH to try the last of their stock of this fine American brewed IPA. I don't know the next time I will see this beer but I will definitely savor this pour of 22 ounces of liquid bread coated hop candy. The flavor is sugar coated raw herbaceous hops, big citric layers, orange marmalade, tropical fruits...mango, star fruit, and hints of passion fruit. Over ripened fruit juice with bready malts bring all the caramelized sugars to the forefront and the big oily hop oils let those sweet candy qualities fade to the background. Mouthfeel is big oily resinous IPA, carbonated well carries each sip effortless down the gullet, to equate to perfect realm of dangerous drinkability. I can't talk enough about how much I enjoy this beer, all of the true hopheads listening go find this, drive 6-8 hrs if you have to, hell make a pilgrimage to the brewery. I might even start listening to metal if Pig Destroyer had a hand in the collaborative creation of this liquid beauty.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.