Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,088
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 279 | Hads: 2,533
2.66/5  rDev -40.4%

22 oz bottle courtesy of Kyle via some kind relative. Thank you kindly for the opportunity!

Golden shower on the pour.

Smells of booze and sweet and sour sauce....the industrial type that likely litters the back room of your local Great Wall or something similarly universal and bland.

Good lord this is sloppy beer. Sweet and sickly pineapple sinfully penetrates the la Choy pseudo Asian condiment, leaving some love it if its mine loathe it if its not progeny that only a Pig Destroyer or a Floyd's apologist can love.

Overly sickly sweet and far too boozy for its own good.

This just isn't a very good beer.

2.78/5  rDev -37.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

I'm resigned to the fact that certain flavor profiles must not be compatible with my palate. This was a bottle less than 30 days old, and was reminiscent of stale, cold french onion soup. Looked nice, didn't smell terrible, but the taste of garlic and onion was overwhelming. Bad bottle? I don't know. Maybe I'll find out someday. As much I adore Gumballhead and Zombie Dust, this was an epic 3F's failure for me. I'll chalk it up as an "it wasn't meant to be" experience and move on.

2.8/5  rDev -37.2%

Why this beer gets 100 on BeerAdvocate is beyond me. this beer tastes stale and oxidized, cloying with the malt, and I drank a fresh bottle! (only 3 weeks old). 3Floyds is just not good with IPAs. Stouts yes, but their IPAs suck. they need to learn how to brew a new age IPA like New England.

2.82/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy burnt golden with a fluffy eggshell white head that doesn't fall leaving great retention and very sticky lacing. Looks very good. The aromas are disappointing. Very faint. Smells like an old IPA. Tons of orange and lots of malts. Lots of bread. The flavors are full of citrus and caramel malts. Syrupy. Some pine resin. Subtle spiciness. Some black pepper in the finish. Not really bitter. Meh. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied and very creamy with active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed, although it's sweet and warm.

I really like 3Floyds, so I'm not being a "hater". I hope this is an old bottle. The date was smeared, go figure. This is my first time having this after years of hearing the hype. Easily the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced based on expectations. There's no way this is the beer that everyone praised. Bottles have been popping up around around Cleveland for Cleveland Beer Week, so I'm assuming this is relatively fresh. Disappointing, but I would still like to try this again just to see if this bottle was a fluke.

3.28/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Acquired in a trade with Duff27. Thanks! 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with interesting label art and standard branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery and its current ratings.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 3.5 finger beige colour head of nice thickness and cream, and damn good (~8 minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear understated pale copper; fairly vibrant. Translucent and refreshing-looking. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I like the clarity. Very impressed by the head. Lacing is uneven but thick. It could be frothier. I'm really looking forward to drinking this.

Sm: Pleasant floral hop character. Thick fresh pale malts. Resinous as hell. Hop oils come through - though not in a Lagunitas hop extract kind of way - more in a natural thickly layered manner. Nectary. Grassy. A twinge of lemon/lemongrass. No alcohol or yeast character is detectable. Clean and inviting. Hops are dominant. I'm excited to try this. A rather mild aroma for such a heavy Imperial IPA. Luckily, no hop bitterness is detectable. I hope the flavour profile is as balanced as the aroma.

T: A bit heavier on the malts than I was anticipating; I get heavily layered thick pale malts and grassy somewhat heavy grains. They give it definite presence but sap drinkability. Heavy powerful floral hops. Overzealous hop oils. Any light nectary or citrusy character gets buried by the other hop notes - which overwhelm. Some alcohol is detectable, but overall it's very well hidden. No yeast character comes through. Vaguely fruity, but I don't get any luscious juicy hop esters. Resinous as hell - a dominant characteristic. It's a bit overbearing, which really takes a toll on the balance. Luckily, little hop bitterness comes through. But I'm not sure that end justifies the means; the heavy malt backbone really thickens it to such extent that it's difficult to drink. It's a monstrous brew, but I wouldn't dare call it complex or subtle. The hop character is muted by the taxing malt component. Do I like it? Sure. But I expected far far better. It's just not that flavorful, all things considered.

Mf: Way too thick and heavy on the palate for the style, ruining any chance of it being refreshing or particularly pleasant. A biteen overcarbonated. Overbearing on the palate. Too full-bodied without enough diverse and deep flavours to justify it. Smooth and wet - to style. It suits the flavour profile decently, but it's far from ideal.

Dr: I will say that it's pretty drinkable considering the high ABV. But you wouldn't want more than one; in fact even just this bottle will take some time to finish. The thick filling body makes it a lot to take on, and there just isn't enough flavour to really keep me interested. I expected this to blow my mind, but I think it suffers from a common issue with (I)IPAs: it's not a contest to see who can brew a higher ABV, higher IBU, and/or higher hop content beer. Brewing is a matter of care and balance, and while I see some of that here, it seems more interested in indulging trends than in generating something lasting.

Even if your goal is a high ABV hoppy Imperial IPA, this just isn't that drinkable. I'd argue that something like Dogfish Head 120 Minute is twice as drinkable at twice the ABV - and I'm not even that big a fan of Dogfish Head.

I honestly wouldn't get this again unless it was on-draught. A good but not great offering from Three Floyds.

Low B-

02/04/14: Another bottle from Duff27. Bottled 12/2013. Truncated notes:

A: 1 - 1.5 finger wide head of white colour. Nice cream and thickness. Nice even fluffy consistency. Complexion could be smoother. Not much lacing. Retains for 5 minutes.

Body colour is a pale copper of average vibrance. No yeast is visible.

Sm: Warm alcohol-laden fruit: tangerine, mango, tropical fruit. Pale malts. Hoppy bitterness seems well checked by malty sweetness.

A moderately strong aroma. Not stellar for a pale ale or IPA.

T/Mf: Hop bitterness does come through - esp. on the climax, which ruins the balance. There're plenty of hop notes here, but the tropical fruit dominates, which isn't ideal for my personal tastes. I want more resinous and oily hop character. Maltwise, there's too much emphasis on the caramalt and not enough on the pale malts. It's somehow both too sweet and too bitter.

Heavy, thick, filling, full-bodied, overbearing. Shallow depth of flavour. Not gestalt.

Dr: I'll finish with some effort. Not a fantastic beer, and not up to par with 3 Floyds' reputation. I doubt I'd get it again, even if I chanced across it on the shelf. I think it's personal taste in large part; I'm just not a big fan of this kind of tropical fruit profile.

3.43/5  rDev -23.1%

Looks: light hazy orange with small floating sediments with nice slow head.
Smell: typical dipa. Nothing impressive nor original here. Citrus aromas, light papaya and mango.
Taste: sweet upfront then bitter aftertaste but it fades when it gets warm. This is not the best dipas. People should drink Ghost in the machine, Pliny, kuhnhenn dripa, hopslam. This beer is tasty but doesn't worth a 100 score here. This is nothing special or unique.
Mouthfeel: slightly carbonated and juicy.
Overall: good beer but not worth chasing down. This is not 3f best beer.

3.47/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a burnt golden color with a fuzzy and greasy head that left wisps of sticky lace down the glass.
S: Caramel and booze on the nose, with undertones of citrus pith, sweet tangerine, and grapefruit zest.
T: Juicy citrus nectar and sweet tangerine mix with tons of slick and greasy hop oils and caramel. Way to sweet for my liking, and too malty. Solid bitterness lingers in the finish, but the aftertaste is more sweet and caramely than anything.
M: Soft and foamy carbonation, super chewy and greasy mouth, full body. I will say that the alcohol is hidden well, except for the thick and heavy mouthfeel.
O: I'd be curious to try this at the source, but I wasn't a huge fan. There's a lot going on and this beer was all over the place.

3.51/5  rDev -21.3%

Scent of sugar, pine, tropical fruit, citrus and a hint of lemon rind. Flavors of sugar, tropical fruit, resin, lemon rind, light caramel and star fruit. Not bad, too sweet.

3.51/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy golden/slightly dark orange with a one finger head. Smells of grapefruit and peppery hops. Tastes... far worse than I'd have ever guessed. Bitter and hoppy? Sure. Boozy, not subdued at all (in a bad overpowering way), and chalk filled with over peppery/over spicy hops that create an unpleasant mouth-feel. Maybe this was just an awful/really old bottle? Is this totally horrible? No. But it's bad enough I wouldn't even drink a free one if it was offered to me, which is saying a lot.

3.53/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the brewpub in Indiana. Dry, spicy, malty. Peppery finish. Feels like licking resin. Aggressive, but also one-dimensional. Drinkable despite the 10% ABV and some nice, fresh aromas of tropical fruit and mango.. but really not that interesting.

3.63/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
10.5% ABV, 100 IBUs, 12/13/13 on bottle.

A - A generous dollop of dense foam rests on the hazed golden beer with little recession, helping maintain the beer's big hop aroma, while thin lace splatters on the glass when the beer is swirled.

S - Sharp, sticky hops brutally attack the nose with relentless resinous quality, stabbing with sugar-coated mango, pepper, and grapefruit rind and mild notes of earthy pine sap. Stiff malt provides an abundance of caramel sweetness, trailed by alcohol for a warming - a full-smelling body.

T - Permanent Funeral is hoppy, ridiculously f-ing hoppy, past the double IPA point of hoppy. The first sip though, strangely brings fourth the beer's massively sweet malt base; sweet to the point of being cloying. The second sip unleashes a wave of super bitter, tooth enamel-stripping pine sap-like hop resin with a secondary focus on tropical fruit notes that clashes on the tongue.

M - There's no beating around the bush with Permanent Funeral; this double IPA is one of the most bitter beer's I've experienced. It's like sucking on a hop cone. The hefty malt base tries to even the playing field but it's the lingering sticky sweetness that fights the onslaught of bitter hop resin for attention all throughout that really strikes a nerve with me. The alcohol warmth finishes out with a stomach-warming heat.

O - I'll be honest, Permanent Funeral isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I love double IPAs, but this beer just goes a bit over-the-top. It's extreme hop profile and almost cloyingly sweet malt base clash on my tongue, finishing with neither component the victor, just a mash-up of one extreme vs. the other without compromise or collaboration.

3.64/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured in tulip glass.
Clear golden orange appearance. Decent lacing. Thick head was,poured, didn't last too long.
Smell is more malty than floral or citrus.
Taste is a bit too sweet for my liking.
Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected.
Good DIPA. If you like sweeter ones, get it.

3.79/5  rDev -15%

Tap at Paradiso. Pours a clear bright as hell neon orange. Weaker white foam. Weak swathes of lace. Nose is a bit skunky, some prominent cat pee, very dense dried pineapple and dried papaya. Stickier, tropical. Taste is melon heavy, lots of thick mango and cantaloupe. Palate is dense, lightly nutty and spicy. Mild tannic bitterness. Not very buoyant or quenching. But still yummy with a big focus on aroma hops typical to FFF. Noticeable spicy alcohol after 3 or 4 sips. 8/3/7/4/15=3.7

3.82/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Not much of a head on a very clear golden copper body but has excellent lacing. Aroma of wet socks, onion, vinegar, caramel and sour citrus. Flavor of tart citrus, vinegar, candy sugar, pale malts, wood and earthy hops. Medium but oily body and moderate carbonation. I have to say I am disappointed. I don't know everything about beers but how is this so highly reviewed? Is it bad, no. Is it amazing? No. Glad I had it, but I will only remember this as being disappointing.

3.85/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle opened on 5.14.13
Thanks bstyle!

A - Pours a hazy medium orange with a one inch light tan head that just sits and slowly bubbles down.

S - Grapefruit, oranges, and some melon.

T - Orange, a touch of cheese, bitter hop with some alcohol and more melon.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - Smells very nice, but I don't get the taste. Cheesy, melon and a hop bite that brings in down for me. Was it Hype, Age, Traveling across the country? Who knows.

3.86/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice fresh citrusy hop smell. Grapefruit and dank hops hit you first but are followed quickly by a ton of sweetness. Can think of plenty of DIPAs I would take over this.

3.88/5  rDev -13%

Pour is a hazed dark amber with a tight off white head. Nose is piney hops, resin, notes of orange peel, and an underlying grain. Taste is not overly hoppy, a bit of balance with the hops bringing pine and a hint of hop resin. The citrus comes in in back, strong orange and a touch of orange juice. Finish is very dry, gently carbonated with a soft body.

3.89/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A-dark gold. Not very transparent. Head is decent at about 1 inch and slightly off white.

S- sugar, pine, citrus. In that order.

T- very similar to the smell. The sugary malt really takes over this beer. The hops are there but they are overwhelmed by malt. The fruit is also overwhelmed by the sugar.

O- this beer us delicious but the sugaryness to it keeps it from being outstanding to me. This bottle was dated almost 2 months ago so that could have something to do with it. Will revisit this beer again more fresh.

3.91/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thanks to Casedog43 for this one.

A - Great orangish rusty haze. Two finger head quickly rises and falls to a splotchy ring that indents the glass with lace.

S - Pineapple and hop oil hit first. Less a bouquet and more of a solo...all I get is Pineapple in terms of fruit. Not even something akin like mango resonates for me, just pineapple. Slight cream soda notes. Solid alcohol

T - Cream hop hit. Surprising vanilla extract note. Very mild bitterness for 100 IBU. Pale malts just barely suggest balance. Slight alcoholic tingle

M - Low carbonation, not very lively. Mild burn. A little too sappy in consistency for me.

Overall, this is a great beer with great label art that I would love to drink again, but I think its just a little hyped. It seems that the loads of hops kind of cover up the lack of sophistication. But, don't get me wrong...I couldn't brew this.

3.94/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Permanent Funeral was a beer I was after for a long time… Eventually got my hands on one a few months ago and was ecstatic. Unfortunately, I wasn’t all that impressed with it. I didn’t review it at the time as I figured I needed a second go at it before really judging it in case of improper storage and such. I had it again on tap this past week and was able to give it another whirl…

Appearance (based on the photo I have from a dark-lit bar) is a clear golden hue with a solid 1-1/2 finger white head. Looks really nice.

Taste was just as I remember it from the first time… Very malt heavy and bitter, almost boozy. I feel as if the ABV on this beer hurts it more than anything… I find the booziness really masks any amazing flavor this beer could have.

Overall it is a good DIPA, but that is about it. It’s not extraordinary by any means and I would likely pass it up on the shelf if I came across it anytime soon. Far better options out there.

3.94/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A beautiful looking beer: a slightly burnt bright orange. A nice but not overpowering piney-citrus scent and a big oily mouthfeel. Upfront the taste is intense: pungently hoppy with a grapefruit orange flavor. But I found the finish just a bit bland. Nice no doubt but not as powerful as I expected.

3.95/5  rDev -11.4%

Bomber into a FFF teku. The brew appearsa hazed copper color with a yellowish stained froth. 3 fingers atop fade leaving a spotty lace pattern on the glass. More than a finger remains throughout the duration.

The aroma includes pine and a toasty to burnt malt character. A bit of fruit, grass and alcohol. Sone orange rind is also present before the onset of something more dank and herbal feeling.

The taste is mutualky dank and piney. A bit of biscuit to burnt grain character overtop solvent alcohol and minor fruity tinges. It is quite resinous and pine-like with plenty of herbal clingy bitterness.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is a big boozy brew but isnt too over the top. I would drink this again and I am very thankful to the Richmond BA crew who sent this my way.

Draft at Mikkeller
Hard to see through orange body. White sticky head.
Sweet caramel malt laden citrus/tropical fruity aroma.
Quite malty but I assume it is pretty fresh even halfway across the globe. It does pack quite a punch of hops though.
Smooth and creamy and supremely bitter.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into a goblet.
Tawny gold in color, with a nice cap of bone-white foam.
Aroma- Heady bouquet of piney/citrus hops
Taste-Onrush of sweet, toasted malt, pineapple and candy sugar. Big hop profile not quite enough to keep things in balance, as this brew comes off a bit too sweet for my tastes. Cries out for a spicy food pairing to balance things out a bit.

3.96/5  rDev -11.2%

This was pretty good, but I found it overly sweet, and with some downright weird flavors (that I've gotten in other hoppy FFF beers) that I just don't really love. Decent, but I'd never pick this up with the wealth of other options available.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.