Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,051
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 241 | Hads: 2,371
2.66/5  rDev -40.9%

22 oz bottle courtesy of Kyle via some kind relative. Thank you kindly for the opportunity!

Golden shower on the pour.

Smells of booze and sweet and sour sauce....the industrial type that likely litters the back room of your local Great Wall or something similarly universal and bland.

Good lord this is sloppy beer. Sweet and sickly pineapple sinfully penetrates the la Choy pseudo Asian condiment, leaving some love it if its mine loathe it if its not progeny that only a Pig Destroyer or a Floyd's apologist can love.

Overly sickly sweet and far too boozy for its own good.

This just isn't a very good beer. (616 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -38.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

I'm resigned to the fact that certain flavor profiles must not be compatible with my palate. This was a bottle less than 30 days old, and was reminiscent of stale, cold french onion soup. Looked nice, didn't smell terrible, but the taste of garlic and onion was overwhelming. Bad bottle? I don't know. Maybe I'll find out someday. As much I adore Gumballhead and Zombie Dust, this was an epic 3F's failure for me. I'll chalk it up as an "it wasn't meant to be" experience and move on. (522 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -37.8%

Why this beer gets 100 on BeerAdvocate is beyond me. this beer tastes stale and oxidized, cloying with the malt, and I drank a fresh bottle! (only 3 weeks old). 3Floyds is just not good with IPAs. Stouts yes, but their IPAs suck. they need to learn how to brew a new age IPA like New England. (292 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Acquired in a trade with Duff27. Thanks! 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with interesting label art and standard branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery and its current ratings.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 3.5 finger beige colour head of nice thickness and cream, and damn good (~8 minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear understated pale copper; fairly vibrant. Translucent and refreshing-looking. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I like the clarity. Very impressed by the head. Lacing is uneven but thick. It could be frothier. I'm really looking forward to drinking this.

Sm: Pleasant floral hop character. Thick fresh pale malts. Resinous as hell. Hop oils come through - though not in a Lagunitas hop extract kind of way - more in a natural thickly layered manner. Nectary. Grassy. A twinge of lemon/lemongrass. No alcohol or yeast character is detectable. Clean and inviting. Hops are dominant. I'm excited to try this. A rather mild aroma for such a heavy Imperial IPA. Luckily, no hop bitterness is detectable. I hope the flavour profile is as balanced as the aroma.

T: A bit heavier on the malts than I was anticipating; I get heavily layered thick pale malts and grassy somewhat heavy grains. They give it definite presence but sap drinkability. Heavy powerful floral hops. Overzealous hop oils. Any light nectary or citrusy character gets buried by the other hop notes - which overwhelm. Some alcohol is detectable, but overall it's very well hidden. No yeast character comes through. Vaguely fruity, but I don't get any luscious juicy hop esters. Resinous as hell - a dominant characteristic. It's a bit overbearing, which really takes a toll on the balance. Luckily, little hop bitterness comes through. But I'm not sure that end justifies the means; the heavy malt backbone really thickens it to such extent that it's difficult to drink. It's a monstrous brew, but I wouldn't dare call it complex or subtle. The hop character is muted by the taxing malt component. Do I like it? Sure. But I expected far far better. It's just not that flavorful, all things considered.

Mf: Way too thick and heavy on the palate for the style, ruining any chance of it being refreshing or particularly pleasant. A biteen overcarbonated. Overbearing on the palate. Too full-bodied without enough diverse and deep flavours to justify it. Smooth and wet - to style. It suits the flavour profile decently, but it's far from ideal.

Dr: I will say that it's pretty drinkable considering the high ABV. But you wouldn't want more than one; in fact even just this bottle will take some time to finish. The thick filling body makes it a lot to take on, and there just isn't enough flavour to really keep me interested. I expected this to blow my mind, but I think it suffers from a common issue with (I)IPAs: it's not a contest to see who can brew a higher ABV, higher IBU, and/or higher hop content beer. Brewing is a matter of care and balance, and while I see some of that here, it seems more interested in indulging trends than in generating something lasting.

Even if your goal is a high ABV hoppy Imperial IPA, this just isn't that drinkable. I'd argue that something like Dogfish Head 120 Minute is twice as drinkable at twice the ABV - and I'm not even that big a fan of Dogfish Head.

I honestly wouldn't get this again unless it was on-draught. A good but not great offering from Three Floyds.

Low B-

02/04/14: Another bottle from Duff27. Bottled 12/2013. Truncated notes:

A: 1 - 1.5 finger wide head of white colour. Nice cream and thickness. Nice even fluffy consistency. Complexion could be smoother. Not much lacing. Retains for 5 minutes.

Body colour is a pale copper of average vibrance. No yeast is visible.

Sm: Warm alcohol-laden fruit: tangerine, mango, tropical fruit. Pale malts. Hoppy bitterness seems well checked by malty sweetness.

A moderately strong aroma. Not stellar for a pale ale or IPA.

T/Mf: Hop bitterness does come through - esp. on the climax, which ruins the balance. There're plenty of hop notes here, but the tropical fruit dominates, which isn't ideal for my personal tastes. I want more resinous and oily hop character. Maltwise, there's too much emphasis on the caramalt and not enough on the pale malts. It's somehow both too sweet and too bitter.

Heavy, thick, filling, full-bodied, overbearing. Shallow depth of flavour. Not gestalt.

Dr: I'll finish with some effort. Not a fantastic beer, and not up to par with 3 Floyds' reputation. I doubt I'd get it again, even if I chanced across it on the shelf. I think it's personal taste in large part; I'm just not a big fan of this kind of tropical fruit profile.

C+
3.19 (4,963 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -23.8%

Looks: light hazy orange with small floating sediments with nice slow head.
Smell: typical dipa. Nothing impressive nor original here. Citrus aromas, light papaya and mango.
Taste: sweet upfront then bitter aftertaste but it fades when it gets warm. This is not the best dipas. People should drink Ghost in the machine, Pliny, kuhnhenn dripa, hopslam. This beer is tasty but doesn't worth a 100 score here. This is nothing special or unique.
Mouthfeel: slightly carbonated and juicy.
Overall: good beer but not worth chasing down. This is not 3f best beer. (561 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -22%

Scent of sugar, pine, tropical fruit, citrus and a hint of lemon rind. Flavors of sugar, tropical fruit, resin, lemon rind, light caramel and star fruit. Not bad, too sweet. (173 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
10.5% ABV, 100 IBUs, 12/13/13 on bottle.

A - A generous dollop of dense foam rests on the hazed golden beer with little recession, helping maintain the beer's big hop aroma, while thin lace splatters on the glass when the beer is swirled.

S - Sharp, sticky hops brutally attack the nose with relentless resinous quality, stabbing with sugar-coated mango, pepper, and grapefruit rind and mild notes of earthy pine sap. Stiff malt provides an abundance of caramel sweetness, trailed by alcohol for a warming - a full-smelling body.

T - Permanent Funeral is hoppy, ridiculously f-ing hoppy, past the double IPA point of hoppy. The first sip though, strangely brings fourth the beer's massively sweet malt base; sweet to the point of being cloying. The second sip unleashes a wave of super bitter, tooth enamel-stripping pine sap-like hop resin with a secondary focus on tropical fruit notes that clashes on the tongue.

M - There's no beating around the bush with Permanent Funeral; this double IPA is one of the most bitter beer's I've experienced. It's like sucking on a hop cone. The hefty malt base tries to even the playing field but it's the lingering sticky sweetness that fights the onslaught of bitter hop resin for attention all throughout that really strikes a nerve with me. The alcohol warmth finishes out with a stomach-warming heat.

O - I'll be honest, Permanent Funeral isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I love double IPAs, but this beer just goes a bit over-the-top. It's extreme hop profile and almost cloyingly sweet malt base clash on my tongue, finishing with neither component the victor, just a mash-up of one extreme vs. the other without compromise or collaboration. (1,728 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured in tulip glass.
Clear golden orange appearance. Decent lacing. Thick head was,poured, didn't last too long.
Smell is more malty than floral or citrus.
Taste is a bit too sweet for my liking.
Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected.
Good DIPA. If you like sweeter ones, get it. (292 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -15.8%

Tap at Paradiso. Pours a clear bright as hell neon orange. Weaker white foam. Weak swathes of lace. Nose is a bit skunky, some prominent cat pee, very dense dried pineapple and dried papaya. Stickier, tropical. Taste is melon heavy, lots of thick mango and cantaloupe. Palate is dense, lightly nutty and spicy. Mild tannic bitterness. Not very buoyant or quenching. But still yummy with a big focus on aroma hops typical to FFF. Noticeable spicy alcohol after 3 or 4 sips. 8/3/7/4/15=3.7 (487 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Not much of a head on a very clear golden copper body but has excellent lacing. Aroma of wet socks, onion, vinegar, caramel and sour citrus. Flavor of tart citrus, vinegar, candy sugar, pale malts, wood and earthy hops. Medium but oily body and moderate carbonation. I have to say I am disappointed. I don't know everything about beers but how is this so highly reviewed? Is it bad, no. Is it amazing? No. Glad I had it, but I will only remember this as being disappointing. (474 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle opened on 5.14.13
Thanks bstyle!

A - Pours a hazy medium orange with a one inch light tan head that just sits and slowly bubbles down.

S - Grapefruit, oranges, and some melon.

T - Orange, a touch of cheese, bitter hop with some alcohol and more melon.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - Smells very nice, but I don't get the taste. Cheesy, melon and a hop bite that brings in down for me. Was it Hype, Age, Traveling across the country? Who knows. (469 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice fresh citrusy hop smell. Grapefruit and dank hops hit you first but are followed quickly by a ton of sweetness. Can think of plenty of DIPAs I would take over this. (169 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Pour is a hazed dark amber with a tight off white head. Nose is piney hops, resin, notes of orange peel, and an underlying grain. Taste is not overly hoppy, a bit of balance with the hops bringing pine and a hint of hop resin. The citrus comes in in back, strong orange and a touch of orange juice. Finish is very dry, gently carbonated with a soft body. (354 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A-dark gold. Not very transparent. Head is decent at about 1 inch and slightly off white.

S- sugar, pine, citrus. In that order.

T- very similar to the smell. The sugary malt really takes over this beer. The hops are there but they are overwhelmed by malt. The fruit is also overwhelmed by the sugar.

O- this beer us delicious but the sugaryness to it keeps it from being outstanding to me. This bottle was dated almost 2 months ago so that could have something to do with it. Will revisit this beer again more fresh. (563 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thanks to Casedog43 for this one.

A - Great orangish rusty haze. Two finger head quickly rises and falls to a splotchy ring that indents the glass with lace.

S - Pineapple and hop oil hit first. Less a bouquet and more of a solo...all I get is Pineapple in terms of fruit. Not even something akin like mango resonates for me, just pineapple. Slight cream soda notes. Solid alcohol

T - Cream hop hit. Surprising vanilla extract note. Very mild bitterness for 100 IBU. Pale malts just barely suggest balance. Slight alcoholic tingle

M - Low carbonation, not very lively. Mild burn. A little too sappy in consistency for me.

Overall, this is a great beer with great label art that I would love to drink again, but I think its just a little hyped. It seems that the loads of hops kind of cover up the lack of sophistication. But, don't get me wrong...I couldn't brew this. (873 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A beautiful looking beer: a slightly burnt bright orange. A nice but not overpowering piney-citrus scent and a big oily mouthfeel. Upfront the taste is intense: pungently hoppy with a grapefruit orange flavor. But I found the finish just a bit bland. Nice no doubt but not as powerful as I expected. (299 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Bomber into a FFF teku. The brew appearsa hazed copper color with a yellowish stained froth. 3 fingers atop fade leaving a spotty lace pattern on the glass. More than a finger remains throughout the duration.

The aroma includes pine and a toasty to burnt malt character. A bit of fruit, grass and alcohol. Sone orange rind is also present before the onset of something more dank and herbal feeling.

The taste is mutualky dank and piney. A bit of biscuit to burnt grain character overtop solvent alcohol and minor fruity tinges. It is quite resinous and pine-like with plenty of herbal clingy bitterness.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is a big boozy brew but isnt too over the top. I would drink this again and I am very thankful to the Richmond BA crew who sent this my way. (816 characters)

Draft at Mikkeller
Hard to see through orange body. White sticky head.
Sweet caramel malt laden citrus/tropical fruity aroma.
Quite malty but I assume it is pretty fresh even halfway across the globe. It does pack quite a punch of hops though.
Smooth and creamy and supremely bitter. (285 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into a goblet.
Tawny gold in color, with a nice cap of bone-white foam.
Aroma- Heady bouquet of piney/citrus hops
Taste-Onrush of sweet, toasted malt, pineapple and candy sugar. Big hop profile not quite enough to keep things in balance, as this brew comes off a bit too sweet for my tastes. Cries out for a spicy food pairing to balance things out a bit. (385 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -12%

This was pretty good, but I found it overly sweet, and with some downright weird flavors (that I've gotten in other hoppy FFF beers) that I just don't really love. Decent, but I'd never pick this up with the wealth of other options available. (242 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -11.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Light copper with a bit of a head. Lacing and wisps are nice.

Smell - Piney with some citrus. Caramel malt comes through. Substantial hop character.

Taste - More distinct hop flavor. Nice pine and grapefruit. Caramep malt backs it up. Balanced?

Mouthfeel - Heavy and a little sweet. Good clean and drinkable DIPA though.

Overall - Good if nothing distictive. Always a good beer from Three Floyds. (451 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden orange color with a fluffy, chalky white head. 4

Smell is very citrus forward. Lots of orange and grapefruit, some mango. Also a decent amount of bready, maltiness on the nose. 4

Taste follows the nose. Bitter orange peel and grapefruit. HUGE bitterness. Like holy cow this is bitter. Big malt backbone too, but no real sweetness except for a slight candied orange flavor. The finish is malty and bitter (if that makes sense) and lasts quite a while. The ABV (10.5%) is not hidden. 4.25

Mouthfeel is very creamy for a DIPA in my opinion. 4

Overall a good beer, but I will probably stick to other IPAs in the future. Glad I got to try it. 3.75 (666 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%

I think the label design is actually better than the beer. This is a perfect example of a beer that is overrated because it comes from a trusted brewery. Love 3 Floyds, but there's no way that this brew deserves a Top spot. (223 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy light orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and tropical fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and tropical fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink. (571 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into FFF Teku

Appearance - Pale, hazy golden yellow. 1 finger of light foam. Very little lacing.

Smell - Pine, grapefruit, tangerine, peach. Slight vegetative note.

Taste - Astringent pine with a solid malt body. Not getting the fruit notes that I got in the smell. Kinda tastes like a piney version of Zombie Dust (without the Citra) on steroids. Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, medium carbonation, sticky semi-dry finish.

Overall - A nice limited release, but I'll be sticking with other FFF brews. They call it a double pale ale, not a double IPA. I can see why. It's hard to believe it's 10.5% ABV though. It's blended extremely well. Even as it warmed up, the taste did not fall off. That's huge for this style. Extra points just for that. (768 characters)

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.