Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,042
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 241 | Hads: 2,366
4.5/5  rDev 0%

Big citrus nose followed by an incredible juicy taste on the front end with lingering bitterness in the back. The malt strikes very hard, but is balanced very well by the hop forward taste. Another winner from FFF (218 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a sunny yellow color, clear, with a froth, very stable, big head.

The nose packs more lemon than I have ever experienced so far in a beer, perfectly fitting accompanied by flowery notes and crisp, ripe orange. Amazingly clean hop profile, with a balancing, bready malt foundation, completed by a toffeeish hint. The aromas are steamlined on the insane lemon defined hoppiness, very focused and prominent on the nose, balanced by just the right amount of malts.

Has an outstandingly soft mouthfeel, which changes drastically as the hops explode on the palate, resulting in a short burn, which is in no way alcoholic at all, as it gets immediately coated up by sweeter malts, forcing the focus on the hops.

Tastes of dough, bready malts, accompanied by an uncompromising, big punch of citrussy hops. Citrus stays on the palate till the very end, while a grassy dankness joins in, as well as lemon zest, giving the initial flavor even more punch. Finishes with a flavour explosion on the palate, resulting from amped up hops colliding with equally amped up malts, numbing my palate for a short moment, possibly revealing spice but I am just guessing at this point. Till the finish, the beer reestablishes its initial smooth mouthfeel, joined by sweeter toffee malts and dry, bitter, long staying citrus hops.

Interesting, unique taste development, with a flavor profile which grows incredibly huge and intense on the palate, showcasing bitter citrus and clean toffee malts in a fantastic fashion. The flavors blend beautifully together in an almost extreme fashion, revealing the beers immense body in an exhilarating, challenging and explosive way. (1,657 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -22%

Scent of sugar, pine, tropical fruit, citrus and a hint of lemon rind. Flavors of sugar, tropical fruit, resin, lemon rind, light caramel and star fruit. Not bad, too sweet. (173 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

The look and smell of this are out of this world. Pineapple all over the place. Get a huge juicy taste on the front with some burn on the back (to be expected of a beer named Permanent Funeral). Definitely worth seeking out and trying. (235 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

No bottle date, but purchased 6wks ago.
This bad boy was on point!
Poured a murky orange with a nice white, resinous head. The smell had me catching a tropical scent: papaya, guava, citrus fruits. The taste was more of that tropical feel, just gushing. Sweet on the front end with a warm alcohol finish that lingered for a bit. Perfectly carbonated, on the verge of being creamy. This was absolutely phenomenal, and withstood a few weeks of mellowing out. (455 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I must have gotten a stale bomber. Because the majority of reviews I read made this sound like I was going to love this beer.. Citrus, pine, hoppy all of that usually equals a beer I love. This lacked all of that. Instead it was overly malty and stale tasting. I'll have to try this one again hopefully fresher and/or on tap.

So I amended my initial rating of 4.01. I tried this on tap at Bigbys Pour House in Rolling Meadows.... What a difference a fresh beer makes. The previous bomber I tried was 9 months old and usually I would have passed Thai old a beer up. However I was trying forever to PF, so I did bought her anyways and my above review proves I was wrong in doing so, since the tap fresh PF was GLORIOUS, I officially understand that hype! (761 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -9.1%

Picked this one up at 1000 Liquors during the 2015 AAA National Instructor's Seminar. 22oz. bottle served in a Three Floyds Teku at 47 degrees. Pours a dull burnt orange hue with a hazy clarity and a frothy, 1.5 inch, cream-colored head. Head eventually settles into a rocky, half inch cap with textured swaths and bands of lacing present during the tasting. Great nose on this beer - citrus and tropical fruit as well as a hint of grapefruit pith and a slight candied quality. Taste consistent with nose; however, heavy on the malt profile and candied quality with a slight kiss of ethanol towards the backend and a light, residual medicinal character at the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body (but closer to medium) with a slightly oily texture and a mild carbonation. Overall, very good; however, I'd prefer a little less malt to the body and slightly more carbonation. That said, a very nice brew if you have the opportunity to try it. (954 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I thought I had reviewed this but apparently not. It's going to be biased since I love FFF, and this is my favorite style and has basically reached god status with me.

L - from bomber into a tulip. Dark sunset orange with a generous head. Fades over a couple minutes with good lacing. Almost perfect.

S - hops, obviously. I guess a little malty? Citrus mostly and some resiny goodness at the end. Some toasted marshmellow and fresh grass too. Just kidding - I don't smell any of that shit besides citrus. Smells good but not as good as some other FFF offerings.

T - hello citrus hops. This is basically perfect for me. Maybe a teeny bit too sweet? That's the only fault, and I'm reaching.

F - very nice carbonation, thick and oily but doesn't coat your mouth forever. It's nice.

O - so glad they are putting this out more than once. If I had to drink 3 beers for the rest of my life, this would make the list. It's outstanding. (932 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -23.8%

Looks: light hazy orange with small floating sediments with nice slow head.
Smell: typical dipa. Nothing impressive nor original here. Citrus aromas, light papaya and mango.
Taste: sweet upfront then bitter aftertaste but it fades when it gets warm. This is not the best dipas. People should drink Ghost in the machine, Pliny, kuhnhenn dripa, hopslam. This beer is tasty but doesn't worth a 100 score here. This is nothing special or unique.
Mouthfeel: slightly carbonated and juicy.
Overall: good beer but not worth chasing down. This is not 3f best beer. (561 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Super thick, off white head. Plenty of hops on the nose, but the citrusy hops explode in taste. Supremely full bodied, silky, and smooth for a DIPA. Plainly said, just delicious. (178 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

reminded me of Tree House Julius as it was juicy as hell. I enjoyed this more than Julius as it carried the ABV throughout the drink. citrus hop deliciousness from start to finish. Pineapple exploded as the brew warmed. Smell was deceiving, as it originally smelled like Malt Bomb and was very deceiving. (304 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Great look. Solid orange body the sun cannot even penetrate. Clingy white head. Combination of bubble sizes. The curtains on this one melt very slow. Layers of fine lace. This has to be one of the best looking Imperial/DIPAs I have ever seen. Abner is up there as well.
Smell: With a deep draw through my nose, I can almost smell some sweet alcohol. This one is juicy. Sweet oranges, tropical fruit, and flowers come to mind.
Taste: Sweet tropical fruit with a little bit of sweet background citrus. This has a special blend of hops and malts. There is noticeable heat + a spark at the finish.
Feel: Thick. Even chewy. Fine dense carbonation literally fills the bottom of mouth. The small sips transform into dense foam. For me, this is the best mouth feel I have had in an American Double/Imperial IPA.

Overall - This is a tremendous beer...I do not feel like I need to say more. Go out there and try it, you should not be disappointed. (970 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice fresh citrusy hop smell. Grapefruit and dank hops hit you first but are followed quickly by a ton of sweetness. Can think of plenty of DIPAs I would take over this. (169 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy orange with a dense white head. A pure unfiltered look. Monster citra hop aroma: orange peel, mango, tangerine, papaya. Juicy and tropical. Taste is well balanced with robust hops and bitterness, but a chewy, creamy, bready malt base. The initial wave of flavor is refreshing and spot on.

Overall, this is outstanding. Fuller body than others of its style and it is quite balanced for an IIPA, but a terrific take on the style. Right there with Dreadnaught as my favorite FFF has to offer. (513 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle into both a snifter and teku.

Really nice looking beer, a hazy peach color with a decent sized, bubbly head. Smells of citrusy, dank hops with lots of grapefruit, some malt, hint of a sweet smell. Taste follows the nose with the grapefruit. More malt forward than the nose, but this is a really well balanced beer. Good amount of bitterness up front, the malt backbone mellows that on the back end. Delicious. Very nice body and feel, very satisfying. A little dry, more than usual for the style.

This is an excellent beer, a top notch DIPA. Will be a repeat purchase when available. Well worth your hard earned bucks. (645 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -37.8%

Why this beer gets 100 on BeerAdvocate is beyond me. this beer tastes stale and oxidized, cloying with the malt, and I drank a fresh bottle! (only 3 weeks old). 3Floyds is just not good with IPAs. Stouts yes, but their IPAs suck. they need to learn how to brew a new age IPA like New England. (292 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -38.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

I'm resigned to the fact that certain flavor profiles must not be compatible with my palate. This was a bottle less than 30 days old, and was reminiscent of stale, cold french onion soup. Looked nice, didn't smell terrible, but the taste of garlic and onion was overwhelming. Bad bottle? I don't know. Maybe I'll find out someday. As much I adore Gumballhead and Zombie Dust, this was an epic 3F's failure for me. I'll chalk it up as an "it wasn't meant to be" experience and move on. (522 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured cold into a tulip glass. Bottled on 11/12/14, consumed on 12/19/14.
Look = 4.5 Pours a cloudy golden orange color with 2.5 fingers of thick, creamy off white head. Great retention and lace.
Aroma = 5.0 Hops everywhere! Citrus and tropical fruit notes are everywhere! Big orange juice, pineapple, mango - really strong and smells great!
Taste = 5.0 Terrific. Citrus and tropical fruit flavors dominate, really juicy. Hop forward with a little sweet malt balance. A moderate bitterness on the finish.
Feel = 4.5 Light feel for a DIPA, not syrupy but also not watery. Low resin, juicy. Medium bodied with medium carbonation; fits the flavor profile well.
Drinkability = 4.75 Incredibly drinkable DIPA, low bitterness and terrific flavor profile. Could sip on all day long.
Overall = 4.825 New highest rated beer for me. Terrific in all categories. (861 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/4.25/3.75/4/4.25
Served on tap at Mikkeller Bar Bangkok.
Earthy spicy fruity garlicky hops. Really rich and sweet. I'm not sure I love this. It's a bit...much? It tries to do too much. The aftertaste though is overwhelming. It doesn't end. I can't get it to go away. It clings through water, through pickles. It's a candied papaya sort of flavor with drying bitterness. Candy like and increasingly pleasant the more I drink. What a DIPA. Color me impressed, but one is enough forever. (490 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -11.6%

I think the label design is actually better than the beer. This is a perfect example of a beer that is overrated because it comes from a trusted brewery. Love 3 Floyds, but there's no way that this brew deserves a Top spot. (223 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At Huna '15 this was an incredibly delicious IPA. I had this right after drinking heady. Less orange/peach but more body, better aroma, and all around better IPA for my money. (175 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

Good into one with a friend last night thanks to a trade. Poured from the bomber into a Teku glass.

A) Cloudy, hazy, orange. moderate foam head.

S) lots of tropical fruits and melons. lots of complexity in smell though. One of the best smelling beers out there. Bready Three Floyds malt bill/ yeast is there though. You know its a 3Floyds Just a wonderful beer to drink. I love Dreadnaught but this tastes better.

f) Full, chewy, resin

o) Outstanding beer. One of the best DIPA out there. Would love a heady vs PF comparison. For me this was better as I tried to remember the Heady . It is a lovely beer, the label although cool does not give the beer justice because it is not harsh in any way. Instead it is a fruity testament to hops. With the famed 3Floyds malt and yeast. Grandslam for me.

T) Damn its good. All those tropical flavors hit home. Mango, melon, a little grapefruit. bitterness is low despite the quoted 100IBU. Alcohol is non-existent. You could sip it or crush it almost. (1,016 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at FFF. Beautiful looking beer. Hazy orange, off-white head, moderate lacing. Nose is full of tropical goodness. Taste has strong notes of tangerine and mango, minimal bitterness, and has great overall balance. Love this beer.....possibly the best DIPA I've had. (274 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +10.7%

I could drink this every day. Absolutely one of the best beers I have ever had. The heavy fruity, citrusy taste, mixed with a light bitterness is what I look for in a IPA/DIPA. You can't go wrong with this one! (210 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy honey golden orange with quite a bit of solids in suspension with a thin layer of off-white foam.

Juicy tropical hops, notes of mango, papaya, pineapple, peach, and some pine.

Very tropical, flavor matches aroma quite well with notes of mango, pineapple, grapefruit, resin, and earthy pine.

Medium-bodied, light carbonation, chewy, juicy and tropical resin, and some piney bitterness.

Overall, not the best DIPA, but certainly a top 10 for me. (460 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.