Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,088
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 279 | Hads: 2,533
3.51/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy golden/slightly dark orange with a one finger head. Smells of grapefruit and peppery hops. Tastes... far worse than I'd have ever guessed. Bitter and hoppy? Sure. Boozy, not subdued at all (in a bad overpowering way), and chalk filled with over peppery/over spicy hops that create an unpleasant mouth-feel. Maybe this was just an awful/really old bottle? Is this totally horrible? No. But it's bad enough I wouldn't even drink a free one if it was offered to me, which is saying a lot.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Really solid IPA. More than lives up to the hype. What really stands out to me is how easy it is too drink. Not too hoppy or bitter and the grapefruit comes through loud and clear. I think my favorite Three Floyds beer is still Amber Smashed Face, but this is an excellent IPA and I would definitely trade for it again

4.1/5  rDev -8.1%

Well, I just dropped a lot of cash on this beer. Was it worth it? No, it most certainly wasn't. Even as a fan of FFFs, I would strongly advise those searching for this beer to stop giving it any deference. While it's good, it's certainly not worth the time, effort, and money to procure this beer. Here goes:

A: Good. Pours a strong, slow-to-build head with adequate lacing. However, the cloudy orange body certainly isn't appetizing, and the body carbonation is pathetic. Nowhere near as robust as I was expecting.

S: The best part of the beer. Tons of tropical fruit; also some herbally grass. Can smell grass, lemons, oranges, apricots, mango, peach, and grapefruit.

T: While the taste is good, this beer doesn't even compare to many other IPAs and DIPAs on the market. The beer contains a blend of sweet malt and grapefruit. That's it. Grapefruit coats the palate and is the overwhelming flavor; really, the beer is incredibly simplistic - I could've bought a beer that tasted exactly like this one at less than half of the price. Sure, I suppose you can include other fruits within the penumbras of the overall taste, but the bottom line is that the beer is rather generic for its style.

F: Not that good. Thick and sticky but with very limited carbonation.

O: A pretty overrated beer. Zombie Dust, Alpha King, and Gumballhead are much better FFF offerings.

4.29/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle, bottled on 9/22/15. Just bought it last weekend so I wasn't able to try this fresher. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden/orange color with a couple inch off-white head that stayed around for a very long time. There's also a lot of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells mostly like citrusy (tropical fruit, mango, citrus peel) and pine hops, along with some bready malt. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also the addition of some candied oranges and dankness. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's slick and a bit creamy with a good amount of carbonation. I thought this was pretty good, I'd like to try it again in the future.

4.3/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Yellek1977 for the trade on this one...

L: thick frothy white head, doesn't settle, great lacing...slight tinge of orange in the body, medium haze

S: bright orange, hints of pine, some notes of mango and tropical fruit...very well blended

T: big booze bomb, sweetness from the alcohol mixed with slight citrus like bitterness

F: medium body, good bitterness level, finishes semi dry with some creaminess around the edges

O: very unique and tasty IIPA, a slow sipper for sure. Great beer

4.32/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bomber. Pours clear deep golden, two finger head fades slowly, great retention and lacing. The aroma is malty, sweet bread combined with some tropical fruitiness. Taste is very malt forward at first with caramel but it doesn't late long. There is a spicy peppery piney resin bitterness that takes over quickly and lasts throughout. Some apricot lingers with the hops. Some alcohol burn there in the end. Mouthfeel is exceptionally full and soft. This is a great DIPA, but very different, understand why it gets such mixed reviews. Full of flavor, but you really need to love a bitter finish to dig it.

3.94/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Permanent Funeral was a beer I was after for a long time… Eventually got my hands on one a few months ago and was ecstatic. Unfortunately, I wasn’t all that impressed with it. I didn’t review it at the time as I figured I needed a second go at it before really judging it in case of improper storage and such. I had it again on tap this past week and was able to give it another whirl…

Appearance (based on the photo I have from a dark-lit bar) is a clear golden hue with a solid 1-1/2 finger white head. Looks really nice.

Taste was just as I remember it from the first time… Very malt heavy and bitter, almost boozy. I feel as if the ABV on this beer hurts it more than anything… I find the booziness really masks any amazing flavor this beer could have.

Overall it is a good DIPA, but that is about it. It’s not extraordinary by any means and I would likely pass it up on the shelf if I came across it anytime soon. Far better options out there.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the source of course.

Pours bright amber. A free flowing grapefruit aroma means we are in business. Tastes big on citrus and various fruits with a hint of vanilla and spice. Light to medium in body and so damn smooth with enough heat in the end to keep a drinker in check.

2.82/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy burnt golden with a fluffy eggshell white head that doesn't fall leaving great retention and very sticky lacing. Looks very good. The aromas are disappointing. Very faint. Smells like an old IPA. Tons of orange and lots of malts. Lots of bread. The flavors are full of citrus and caramel malts. Syrupy. Some pine resin. Subtle spiciness. Some black pepper in the finish. Not really bitter. Meh. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied and very creamy with active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed, although it's sweet and warm.

I really like 3Floyds, so I'm not being a "hater". I hope this is an old bottle. The date was smeared, go figure. This is my first time having this after years of hearing the hype. Easily the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced based on expectations. There's no way this is the beer that everyone praised. Bottles have been popping up around around Cleveland for Cleveland Beer Week, so I'm assuming this is relatively fresh. Disappointing, but I would still like to try this again just to see if this bottle was a fluke.

4.18/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Legs on a DIPA--a sure sign of double-digit ABV. Fruity nose, with tropical notes backed up by lemongrass and pink grapefruit. Feels richly decadent in the mouth, with a full body made for swirling around. The tropical fruit gives way on the tongue to the grapefruit and pomelo pith, an intense bitterness somewhat balanced by syrupy undertones. A bit of papaya and apricot reemerges as the beer warms, and a bit of malt tentatively raises a hand to wave hello, but by that point, your palate is likely passed out on Scott's couch.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub. Pours a hazy medium orange with a white head that leaves spotty lacing. The haze fades a it warms a bit, leaving a crystal clear brew.
The aroma seems a bit subdued. Tropical fruits including mango and a hint of pine resin.
Noting subdued about the taste. Lots of tropical fruit on the tongue followed by a bit of sweetness and a wave of chewy, piney bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium and a touch sticky.

4.79/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 9/22/15

Pours a beautiful cloudy orange with a luscious hoppy head

Smells bitter and citrusy with some pine

Nice sweet fruity taste, particularly mango and orange, bitterness is more subdued than expected

Fairly smooth and juicy, a little sticky, drinks quite easily for it's abv

Overall a very likable and drinkable DIPA, worth the price tag

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - A beautiful honey color, slight haze, awesome sticky lacing
Smell - HUGE tropical nose. Pineapple, citrus, mangos, hints of floral.
Taste - Explosion of flavor. Tropical, dank, tons of sweet malts, candied orange, definitely get the booze coming thru but that's expected @ 10.5.
Feel - Coats the mouth, sticky, dry finish

Overall - This is a BEAST of a beer. A great DIPA but not for the faint of heart. Pure insanity in a glass!

4.43/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into a tulip. Vibrant golden in color with a nice snow-white head. Citrus, pine resin, grapefruit, mango, and orange peel on the nose. Medium weight and very, very smooth for being north of 10%. Piney, hoppy resin on the taste along with juicy grapefruit, orange, and mangos. Just an outstandingly well-balanced beer. I can't believe this beer is 10.5%.

With that being said, I am a huge fan of 3 Floyds. However, in regards to this beer, it reminded me of Cimmerian Sabertooth Berzerker in many ways. Not sure which one came first, but I honestly don't think I could tell the differene between the two in a blind tasting. Not saying this beer is bad, I seriously just like CSB that much. I've love to have one of each on hand to compare.

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I may have found my new favorite here. Citrus, pine and malt all come together here for a very tasty brew. Carbonation is perfect. This goes down very smoothly for the ABV, and could get me into trouble.

4.81/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another GABF 2015 sample
Clear golden/light amber w/persistent white head and lace. the nose just pops. huge fresh berry aroma with some citrus, tropical fruit. It has just enough pale malt sweetness to showcase the juicy hops. big lingering bitterness but not sharp or astringent. i love dreadnaught but they were not serving it at GABF so I tried this one and I am glad I did. This beer is phenomenal!

4.67/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

the line was really long at gabf but they had this and zombie dust on tap so no way i was not waiting. and it was well worth it. smelled so good and tasted even better

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Permanent Funeral September 22 enjoyed September 26, 2015 in a pint glass.

Look - Lighter orange yellow. Clear. Expected white head medium bubbles. Looks like an average IPA.

Smell - Pine. Resin. Vanilla. Watermelon. Grapefruit. Orange.

Taste - Perfect balance. Pine resin, citrus, and just enough musty danknous to contribute.

Feel - No carbonation bomb. Smooth. Tongue is ripped but while weird to say, only on the edges.

Overall - There is a lot of citrus but is well balanced. It was worth the drive to Chicago. I have been waiting for a year to get a bottle. Drunk me at DLD was right, very good.

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had from a bomber.

L: Reddish-brown with translucence. Nice, tightly-packed head.

S: Papaya, orange, and hop resin.

T: Maltose, caramelized orange, earthy finish.

F: Body and chewiness meet the style and ABV.

O: A nice switch-up from a lot of beers in this style that are just citrus explosions.

4.32/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pop the top and let the Dreadnaught colored beer flow. Pours a darker yellow, good amount of clarity to it, soft 1/2" head on it, looks good, looks solid, reliable. Aroma wafts up in yo face, pine is heavy.

Taste flows with the heavy pine hops, super dry, at over 10% this one drinks pretty effortlessly. You get that herbal presence that often occurs when you get these monster west coast iipa level abvs. Grapefruit rears its minimal head in the mouthfeel, but this is really light and dry so it is all good. Dreadnaught tends to come across stickier, sweeter and with more malt color to it.

The main problem with this is its $10 a bomber. That's like twice the price of Grunion. Cool to check out once, but I don't see how it can be a regular purchase.

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A delicious double IPA. Subtle citrus flavor at first but expands as it warms. Let this one warm up a little in the glass. Some booziness but really smooth. Prolly the best FFF IPA.

4.28/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

White head with lace. Food retention. Golden orange color.

Nose is kind of muted.

A big and chewy dipa. This one is dank and weedy. Floral and green. Some citrus shows. A light oniony flavor is there. Some tropical fruits in the background.

Not really that bitter. Full bodied for an ipa. Ends with papaya.

Overall, solid dipa. A little over rated imo, but worth a try.

Edit: as it warms, it becomes way more tropical. Lots of mango and pineapple. I like it a lot more. The nose opens up a lot.

4.7/5  rDev +5.4%

This checks all the right boxes. Absolutely big, glorious mango, citrus, and pine to tickle the hop hungry like myself. It carries a wallet but goes down as smooth as a beer half its size.

3.47/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a burnt golden color with a fuzzy and greasy head that left wisps of sticky lace down the glass.
S: Caramel and booze on the nose, with undertones of citrus pith, sweet tangerine, and grapefruit zest.
T: Juicy citrus nectar and sweet tangerine mix with tons of slick and greasy hop oils and caramel. Way to sweet for my liking, and too malty. Solid bitterness lingers in the finish, but the aftertaste is more sweet and caramely than anything.
M: Soft and foamy carbonation, super chewy and greasy mouth, full body. I will say that the alcohol is hidden well, except for the thick and heavy mouthfeel.
O: I'd be curious to try this at the source, but I wasn't a huge fan. There's a lot going on and this beer was all over the place.

4.16/5  rDev -6.7%

The last of my IPAs. Now I can get back to drinking REAL beer. I kid, I kid. 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

A - A beautiful deep, dark orange, and very clear. Exactly the way I like them. A decent off-white head with tight bubbles. This will probably stick around for a few minutes.

N - Whoa, tons of citrus and pine. This one is not fooling around. The hops just get right up into your grill. This beer is a close talker and doesn't care. I get plenty of grapefruit.

T - Yikes, this is a mess. There are so many flavors here I can't possibly describe them all. It's one of the sweetest IPAs I've had. There's ruby red grapefruit juice, fresh squeezed orange juice, maybe some dimetapp elixir or triaminic. Very sweet, almost medicinal like a whiskey. Like a said, a lot going on here. Tasty? Yes. My style? Not really...

M - I've definitely had a great run of IPAs with tremendous mouths. The stuff turns to froth right away, and goes down so smooth. Leaves a residue of spiciness, and I still get that medicinal, whiskey like quality tingling around the back of my mouth/throat.

O - The is the most unique IPA I've ever had, that's for sure. A well-made concoction.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.