Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,052
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 241 | Hads: 2,372
4.47/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a-lovely golden amber pour with a one finger foamy white head that leaves a nice and thick lacing.

s-sweet caramel and fresh cut grass

t-lots of honey and some herbal notes. mild tropical fruit notes, some mango and pineapple with a bitter finish.

m-nice and bitter, real rough on the tongue but the alcohol is hidden.

o-absolutely delicious, fantastic beer for a great band. seek this out as it is seriously another solid ipa from three Floyds. (452 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured in tulip glass.
Clear golden orange appearance. Decent lacing. Thick head was,poured, didn't last too long.
Smell is more malty than floral or citrus.
Taste is a bit too sweet for my liking.
Mouthfeel is thicker than I expected.
Good DIPA. If you like sweeter ones, get it. (292 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Whoa confusing... I've been drinking this brew and waited for the last glass to review it. I was thinking that this was a pale ale as stated by the label and somewhere in the 5-7% range. I was shocked when I learned the actual ABV, but that's a testament to the balance of this brew. Nice gold pour with dense white head and plenty of lacing. The nose is aromatic with a few varietals of hops coming to the surface, mainly citrus, lemon rind, melon, and pine come through. The taste is fruity and full of delicious hop flavor up front with light bitterness. Tastes as if this brew is hop bursted as the bitterness is well overshadowed by the aromatic hops. Notes of pineapple, grapefruit, and peach join the party with a sturdy malt presence towards the finish. Mouthfeel is moderate with smooth and somewhat creamy body. Overall, quite a tasty beer with absurd balance and drinkability. (887 characters)

A - Solid DIPA look. Golden orange with a little frothy head.

S - Nice citrus smell, but yet another overhyped FFF offering. There's not a lot of malt presence, and it's overall a solid smelling DIPA, but to be rated as high as it is boggles my mind.

T - Similar. Can tell it's a FFF DIPA. It's pretty similar to Dreadnaught as far as I remember.

M - No alcohol presence. Smooth and good amount of carbonation for the style.

O - Another solid FFF offering that's not really that special. I'd still stick to Zombie Dust only, but because they don't bottle date I had to watch my friend open ZD after ZD and pour them down the drain right after he got them in a trade. Let's go FFF, you make enough of a killing on your prices you can afford to bottle date or you're doing something wrong. (792 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Less than a month old when consumed.

A - pours a clear, light orange with a standard white head. Some lace. Light bubbles.

S - resinous pine, faint onion, sweet tangerine, ripe pineapple, orange peel, faint cantaloupe and a nice melanoidin malt note. The overall aroma is a low-medium intensity for the style.

T - is similar to the aroma. I get tangerine and pineapple upfront with a smooth piney and slightly floral finish. Smooth 10%. Tasty!

M - medium body. Mild sweetness. Pleasant, medium bitterness with a medium-long sustain. Not syrupy like Dreadnaught, thank you.

O - I liked this quite a bit more than Dreadnaught which I think is seriously overrated. Dreadnaught is a syrupy, barely hoppy mess and Permanent Funeral is what Dreadnaught should have been. The West Coast should like this beer. It probably won't make their top 5, but maybe their top 10. (868 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer received from Jrbrukt. Poured into a pint glass.

Beautiful golden color with white head that fades away quickly. Slight alcohol legs. Huge hop aroma that is heavy on Pineapple and tropical fruits. Bitterness seems lower than 100. Goes down very easy for a ten percent beer. I would recommend everyone that likes hoppy beers seek this one out. Very memorable. Fantastic! (376 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer is perfection. It ha got to be a imperial Zombie Dust. I am three floyds crazy and this is one of there best ever. I carry this beer and went through all 24 bombers in one day at the bar. I can not believe the aroma of citrus and the flavor they put in this beer. There is so much citrus to this beer it is amazing. (325 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thanks to Casedog43 for this one.

A - Great orangish rusty haze. Two finger head quickly rises and falls to a splotchy ring that indents the glass with lace.

S - Pineapple and hop oil hit first. Less a bouquet and more of a solo...all I get is Pineapple in terms of fruit. Not even something akin like mango resonates for me, just pineapple. Slight cream soda notes. Solid alcohol

T - Cream hop hit. Surprising vanilla extract note. Very mild bitterness for 100 IBU. Pale malts just barely suggest balance. Slight alcoholic tingle

M - Low carbonation, not very lively. Mild burn. A little too sappy in consistency for me.

Overall, this is a great beer with great label art that I would love to drink again, but I think its just a little hyped. It seems that the loads of hops kind of cover up the lack of sophistication. But, don't get me wrong...I couldn't brew this. (873 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Acquired in a trade with Duff27. Thanks! 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with interesting label art and standard branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery and its current ratings.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 3.5 finger beige colour head of nice thickness and cream, and damn good (~8 minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear understated pale copper; fairly vibrant. Translucent and refreshing-looking. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I like the clarity. Very impressed by the head. Lacing is uneven but thick. It could be frothier. I'm really looking forward to drinking this.

Sm: Pleasant floral hop character. Thick fresh pale malts. Resinous as hell. Hop oils come through - though not in a Lagunitas hop extract kind of way - more in a natural thickly layered manner. Nectary. Grassy. A twinge of lemon/lemongrass. No alcohol or yeast character is detectable. Clean and inviting. Hops are dominant. I'm excited to try this. A rather mild aroma for such a heavy Imperial IPA. Luckily, no hop bitterness is detectable. I hope the flavour profile is as balanced as the aroma.

T: A bit heavier on the malts than I was anticipating; I get heavily layered thick pale malts and grassy somewhat heavy grains. They give it definite presence but sap drinkability. Heavy powerful floral hops. Overzealous hop oils. Any light nectary or citrusy character gets buried by the other hop notes - which overwhelm. Some alcohol is detectable, but overall it's very well hidden. No yeast character comes through. Vaguely fruity, but I don't get any luscious juicy hop esters. Resinous as hell - a dominant characteristic. It's a bit overbearing, which really takes a toll on the balance. Luckily, little hop bitterness comes through. But I'm not sure that end justifies the means; the heavy malt backbone really thickens it to such extent that it's difficult to drink. It's a monstrous brew, but I wouldn't dare call it complex or subtle. The hop character is muted by the taxing malt component. Do I like it? Sure. But I expected far far better. It's just not that flavorful, all things considered.

Mf: Way too thick and heavy on the palate for the style, ruining any chance of it being refreshing or particularly pleasant. A biteen overcarbonated. Overbearing on the palate. Too full-bodied without enough diverse and deep flavours to justify it. Smooth and wet - to style. It suits the flavour profile decently, but it's far from ideal.

Dr: I will say that it's pretty drinkable considering the high ABV. But you wouldn't want more than one; in fact even just this bottle will take some time to finish. The thick filling body makes it a lot to take on, and there just isn't enough flavour to really keep me interested. I expected this to blow my mind, but I think it suffers from a common issue with (I)IPAs: it's not a contest to see who can brew a higher ABV, higher IBU, and/or higher hop content beer. Brewing is a matter of care and balance, and while I see some of that here, it seems more interested in indulging trends than in generating something lasting.

Even if your goal is a high ABV hoppy Imperial IPA, this just isn't that drinkable. I'd argue that something like Dogfish Head 120 Minute is twice as drinkable at twice the ABV - and I'm not even that big a fan of Dogfish Head.

I honestly wouldn't get this again unless it was on-draught. A good but not great offering from Three Floyds.

Low B-

02/04/14: Another bottle from Duff27. Bottled 12/2013. Truncated notes:

A: 1 - 1.5 finger wide head of white colour. Nice cream and thickness. Nice even fluffy consistency. Complexion could be smoother. Not much lacing. Retains for 5 minutes.

Body colour is a pale copper of average vibrance. No yeast is visible.

Sm: Warm alcohol-laden fruit: tangerine, mango, tropical fruit. Pale malts. Hoppy bitterness seems well checked by malty sweetness.

A moderately strong aroma. Not stellar for a pale ale or IPA.

T/Mf: Hop bitterness does come through - esp. on the climax, which ruins the balance. There're plenty of hop notes here, but the tropical fruit dominates, which isn't ideal for my personal tastes. I want more resinous and oily hop character. Maltwise, there's too much emphasis on the caramalt and not enough on the pale malts. It's somehow both too sweet and too bitter.

Heavy, thick, filling, full-bodied, overbearing. Shallow depth of flavour. Not gestalt.

Dr: I'll finish with some effort. Not a fantastic beer, and not up to par with 3 Floyds' reputation. I doubt I'd get it again, even if I chanced across it on the shelf. I think it's personal taste in large part; I'm just not a big fan of this kind of tropical fruit profile.

C+
3.19 (4,963 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Crystalline clear saturated orange. Bright and colorful, cheery even. Spindly delicate lace, pretty good lasting coverage.

Pungent hop aroma, sweet tropicals and sandalwood, dank and resiny, dripping with hop oils. Pretty nice and complex.

Sweet tropical fruit, mango and dried pineapple, edge of the glass is sticky like a fruit cocktail cup. Also pretty dank and bitter, a hop blast incarnate. Medium bodied, resiny, slightly syrupy. Big and uncompromising, but very tasty and drinkable. (493 characters)

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A double IPA brewed in collaboration between Three Floyds, a brewer, and Pig Destroyer, a metal band. I’ve always wondered how these types of collaborations work. The dudes from Pig Destroyer meet up with the Floyds, nodding intently as the brewers describe yeast and hops and whatfor. Eventually there’s a lull in the music or a ray of clarity cracks through the bleariness and someone from the brewery asks someone in the band for their beermaking input. “We would prefer it to rock,” says the bassist. “Naw,” interjects the singer, “we want it to be brutal.”

Then, god-willing, there would be a 1970’s Certs commercial-style back and forth: Rocking! Brutality! Rocking! Brutality! Before one of the guys from Three Floyds—preferably either the fat bearded one or the bartender who has a goatee tattooed on his face—he jumps in and is like “now settle down fellas, it can be both!”

That wonderful image aside, I’m afraid I’m not equipped to comment on how brutal or metal this beer is. I like metal and all, but I’m not an expert. So I asked my cousin Zach what he thought. Zach’s way metal. He plays in a band named after a skin disease and has given himself tattoos. His response? “Brutal as fuck.”

This confuses me. My expertise is that of an amateur beersman, a prestigious title afforded only to those of us who are willing to drink a lot and then have a cat walk strategically over our internet-connected keyboards while we sob about how much we miss Janice, how she’s the reason our pants don’t fit anymore, how dear god I wish this beer was flammable. A beersman like me is amazed by how goddamn smooth and quaffable this beer is. Gone are the high-alpha cat pee nodes of Dreadnaught. Likewise, the usual pleasant fieriness of the Floyds’ bigger beers is replaced with dark fruit nodes.

(Full review: http://mynie.com/?p=409) (1,883 characters)

4.5/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle.

Pours sparkling clear copper with an inch of white head. Plenty of tattered lacing and a partial skim coat for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with a blast of juicy, tropical fruits. Peach, mango, and apricot with pixie-dusted pine resin.

Medium bodied with a crisp, tacky mouthfeel.

Plump, ripe, tropical citrus fruits on the palate. Very light malt to balance and minimal bitterness.

Finishes with lingering peach, mango, and apricot.

Very drinkable, seriously fresh and tropical. (504 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle into a goblet glass.

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange with a light head that makes a halo on the glass. Lots of bubbly lacing left on the glass.

Smell- Sweet tropical fruits mask the hop character at first. Sweet papaya, tangy apricot, and honeyed mango burst into your nose. Froot Loops(!?). Earthy hop subtlety follows. Finishes with a big champagne-y sweetness that is slightly acidic. No booziness forward. Smells amazing.

Taste- Crisp apple cider bite followed by a hint of booze. Big juicy fruit salad notes, resiny hoppiness then back to the booze. Finishes with a touch of malt leading the bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel- a bit dense but expected for an imperial. Some fizz at first, but goes down soft and smooth.

Overall- This one does not hold back for an imperial- the alcohol is in there. The amazing thing is that for as boozy as it is, it does not dominate. Everything holds up to it and matches it well. Perhaps the most perfect balance of any imperial IPA I have had. Very well done Three Floyds. The collaboration with Pig Destroyer is an awesome added bonus. Amazing. (1,110 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber bottle (some of the coolest bottle art I've seen in a while) into an IPA style tulip glass

A - Golden orange, perfectly clear, with 1.5 fingers of off-white head

S - Citrus, orange, grapfruit - fresh juicy hops

T - Wow - tons of juicy, citusy hops upfront. Like biting into a juicy orange. Very easy to drink with only a minimal amount of bitterness, considering both the ABV and the IBUs.

M - Medium bodied and pretty typical body for a big FFF IPA. Similar to Dreadnaught

O - It's hard to imagine a DIPA that I would like more. I don't know how FFF is able to get that much fresh, citrusy hop flavor into a beer that is almost refreshing to drink - even at 10.5 % ABV. For the hophead, this is a must try in my opinion. (748 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dont normally write full reviews but i had to drive to the brewery and wait in line to get this one so i figured why not.

Do not drink this too cold. The taste at first sip was very good but turned to excellent as it warmed. Somewhat similar to Z.D. in aroma but not at all a grapefruit bomb. This one is citrusy but I think more piney in taste. All in all another great ipa from the floyds. (392 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on 2013-05-05 in Munster, IN

A - Mildly hazy golden-yellow with a 1-finger white head that fades quickly and leaves moderate, sheeted lacing.

S - Big aroma; like a Zombie Dust with more pineapple. Tangerine, pine, hop floral and crushed hop cone goodness, light malt.

T - Hop forward giving way to pineapple flesh and light malt sweetness. There's a spicy, herbal-mint tea lingering in the background that I like. The bitterness reasserts itself into the finish but doesn't dominate as the other flavors provide good balance. The sweetness tastes more fruity than grain based and there's not a roasted malt presence at all. This is definitely not a barleywine. The alcohol is evident but subdued into the balance. As it warmed, it kept tasting better and better.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation. Prickly, abrasive. Not watery, not thick. Just right. Dries nicely. How can a 10+% beer be refreshing?

O - It's a laugh to see "Pale Ale" on the bottle but I guess I get it in the sense that it's light on the malt, which is a very good thing in this beer. I'd not heard of this beer until today and of the samples I had at the brewery, this is the shining star. Better than Dreadnaught for sure. Maybe equal or close to Zombie Dust (my personal 3F favorite). Dang. (1,289 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Weebay for this bottle! Poured in to FFF teku glass.

A - Translucent golden yellow colour with one finger of cream coloured head.

S - Tropical fruit aromas dominate the nose. Peach, mango, tangerine, pineapple. Some pine and a hint of caramel sweetness.

T - Bitter up front with pineapple, mango, tangerine and peach flavours. A fairly big sweet caramel malt backbone that is just slightly too much for my liking, which is the only thing keeping this from being a flawless DIPA.

M - Medium body. Stick and full of resinous hop oils. Light carbonation. (566 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - slightly cloudy, golden, big tall loose foamy head.

S - lots of floral hops, light citrus peel, some tropical notes as well

T - the floral and aromatic follow over to the taste. Big punch of tropical notes. Very little bitterness. Too much ABV though, there is definitely some heat and alcohol sweetness. I think this would be a stone cold 5 if it were about 8% instead of 10.5%, but relatively small complaint.

M - medium, smooth finish, some alcohol heat.

O - really liked this one. Like zombie dust with more punch. (526 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a light pale golden color. Very clear, with a small foamy head.

Smells of big tropical fruits, peach, pineapple, orange citrus, mango. Slight hint of wheat-like malts. The smell is really big, clean, and inviting. Kind of reminded me of ZD.

Taste is the same fruit bouquet, with a slight touch of malt sweetness providing balance. I was surprised at the bitterness of this brew. I was expecting a tongue bruiser, but it's pretty smooth and easy drinking.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, medium-low carb.

Very good DIPA, very drinkable. One of my favorites by FFF, behind ZD. (583 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

First off, I love how Three Floyds tries to confuse people by putting "pale ale" on the label. I am not being sarcastic, I think it's funny and unique. Secondly, the artwork on the label is awesome. I am a huge fan of the genre of metal that Pig Destroyer play...though I am not a Pig destroyer fan. I tend to like Job for a Cowboy, Chelsea Grin, The Chariot, BTBAM, etc., but never got into Pig Destroyer. Now, let's get to the beer. Pours a nice clear golden orange color with a small-medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is VERY inviting. Lovely citrus fruit and piney aromas. Sweet honey with a ton of hops and just a bit of tropical fruit...mango mostly. Just a hint of malt in the nose. Taste is fantastic. Not overly sweet...just the right amount of sweetness for a DIPA of this ABV. The hops are the most noticeable in this beer. I had a six pack of ZD a long time ago, so can't really compare. Some sticky, malty, honey-ish flavors...but thankfully just a tiny bit. Lovely blend of citrus and tropical flavors...stellar combination of hoppiness. Finish is smooth and kinda dry. Drinkability is very high, as alcohol is well hidden...not hot at all. Mouthfeel is slightly sticky, but perfectly carbonated. Overall, this is a fantastic beer that I wish I could get more of. I would love to see how this one would do if it had been at The Bistro's DIPA Festival during SF Beer Week. (1,400 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- nice golden body, nice white big head

S- lots of pine, orange tropical fruit, lemon peel, citrus hops. unreal.

T- following the nose, nice pine citrus initial taste followed by some nice tropical fruits, primarily oranges and a nice bitter finish. very complex

M- medium body very smooth. medium carbonation

O- very very world class ipa. love it. (354 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is not a DIPA. This is the big brother to ZD. Unreal taste. Classic 3 Floyds taste. Classic citra mouth. A beer to remember. Unreal. But not a DIPA. This is an amped up pale ale. I would not call this a DIPA. The hop character is way fired up. Clean taste like a ZD. (271 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours beautifully hazy bright orange with a two finger head.smells piney, very tropical fruit, some peach maybe. Taste is also very bright tropical fruits, sweet hops, bright citrus, some biscuit, some licorice, and just the perfect hop bitterness, not too much though and a hint of malt backbone (I guess a hint of malt makes it a pale ale for FFF). I agree I don't see how this isn't an IPA but its amazing. Extremely drinkable, nice velvety mouthfeel, very bright fruit and west coast style hop profile. I wish I could get this again. (537 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle from the Three Floyds store (Munster, IN). 10.00. No bottle date but I should hope they aren't selling out of date product at the brewery. Served in a Three Floyds teku.

Pours clear bright slightly orange hued gold with almost teo full fingers of pale head. A good bit of lace webbing.

Smell is dominated by those trademark Three Floyds hops! Mango, peach, orange and some nice inviting malt sweetness.

The tropical hops kick off with a big bitter dose of orange, citrus rind, peach, mango, sweet bread, fresh cut grass, pine and honey/caramel. Almost zero noticeable alcohol. The booze is hidden in the tropical forrest of hop goodness.

Nice oily slick medium full body with light zesty carbonation. Sweet orange and slightly bitter grass finish.

If I'd known how much I would enjoy this I'd have purchased more than one for sure. This is an outstanding DIPA with plenty of tropical citrus hop character, a nice sweet malt body and nicely balanced body. Very well done and worth checking out while it's still around. (1,039 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to yeahnatenelson for this one. Totally did not expect it. Fantastic label art.

A: Pours a beautiful sunset orange with a a slightly off-white creamy head. As it warms, it becomes quite transparent

S: Bright citurs. Lemon peel, sweet tropical fruit, pineapple. A sort of east meets west DIPA.

T: Lemon, sweet tropical fruit, grape fruit. Definitely a swetter DIPA with a fair amount of bitterness to balance it out. The 10.5% ABV? NO WHERE to be found. Perhaps a SLIGHT warming, but goes down almost too easily.

M: A little more than medium. Carbonation is spot on.

O: A great DIPA. This thing drinks like a 8% beer. Tons of flavour, great aroma. It really reminds me of a HF DIPA meeting a hardcore west coast DIPA. I cannot pin point anything overtly wrong with this beer. Perhaps the ONLY thing is that it isn't showing me anything SUPER different from some other great DIPAs I've had. With that said, it is done almost perfectly. A great amalgamation of DIPA styles. (986 characters)

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.