Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,034
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Ratings: 2,309 | Reviews: 274
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

I really liked this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The strong alcohol content gets lost in the awesome hops that blend piney/earthy flavor and citrus. FFF gets it right with a lot of hop forward beers and Permanent Funeral is my favorite of them all

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: slightly dark amber with some cloudyness. Poured a nice white head and very good lacing
S: Very strong hops with a lot of pine behind it. Slight smell of citrus and malt back. Very good smelling
T: Not my favorite. This is a much more piney and bitter ipa. You get smacked in the face with hops and has a strong biterness. Still tastey and has a delicious after taste. Slight booze
M: 3F beers always have that perfect carbonation but this one has a bit of a stickyness to it.

O: A very bitter and piney Ipa def not my favorite but still a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Tasted from draft at Firkin on January 23, 2015.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Again big thanks to bstyles for hooking me up with more super fresh bottles!
22 oz bottle, dated 1/14/15, poured into a teku

A- A clear bright golden orange with a two finger white head.

S- Damn this is good, tropical fruits, grapefruit rinds, citrus, hint of mint, pine, and some sweet malts and a touch of alcohol reminding me that this is 10.50% ABV.

T- Slightly boozy and some caramel malts that bring a really nice balance to the huge hop profile, big piney finish, bright citrus, some tropical fruits.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- Another awesome beer from 3 Floyds. Definitely worth seeking out, alcohol is not fully hidden, but it actually works in balancing the beer. Wish I had more!

3.75/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wayyy too boozy for me.

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden orange color with a fluffy, chalky white head. 4

Smell is very citrus forward. Lots of orange and grapefruit, some mango. Also a decent amount of bready, maltiness on the nose. 4

Taste follows the nose. Bitter orange peel and grapefruit. HUGE bitterness. Like holy cow this is bitter. Big malt backbone too, but no real sweetness except for a slight candied orange flavor. The finish is malty and bitter (if that makes sense) and lasts quite a while. The ABV (10.5%) is not hidden. 4.25

Mouthfeel is very creamy for a DIPA in my opinion. 4

Overall a good beer, but I will probably stick to other IPAs in the future. Glad I got to try it. 3.75

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

If it's on tap, then it should be your first. If it's available to go, then "Get some!"

4.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - Slightly hazy brilliant orange with a thick white 2 finger head
S - Pungent, with some dank then a massive wave of candied orange peel.
T - Bitter oranges with some malt sweetness to back it up. Bitterness on the finish, but not harsh, it rounds off the sip nicely
F - Good body, with perfect carbonation

Overall I was expecting a lot, and boy it delivered. Will be getting this again if I ever see it for sure.

4.49/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright, clear, and vibrant orange. Small white head with little retention.

Oh my what a great smelling beer. Tangerine, oranges, and grapefruit. Pine. Juicy.

Taste follows suit. Backed by sweet caramel, the citrus and pine are fresh and strong. It makes me want to gulp it.

Mouthfeel is full, soft, and clean. Carbivation is perfect. Juicy.

Quite frankly, this is one of the best ipas I've tried and one of three floyds best showings. Boom.

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

Serving: 22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip. Dated 12/19/2014, making this just over 3 weeks old.

A: Pours a nice, bright orange color. Foamy 1-finger white head that sticks around. Has a nice haziness to it. Looks alive in the glass.

S: Huge! Mango, pineapple, papaya, tangerine, peach. This beer explodes right out of the bottle and fills the room instantly.

T: Oh man, wow! Huge tropical fruits up front. Mango, pineapple, peach, tangerine, papaya. Subtle hints of grapefruit zest. A touch of fruit juice sweetness on the back end. The flavor is unbelievably strong and just lights up your taste buds.

M: Here is where this beer sets itself apart from other DIPAs. Near perfect balance of bright tropical hop flavor and just the right balance of malt backbone. The not-too-bitter finish sticks around for just the right amount of time before fading and leaving a clean finish. I hate when big DIPAs get too sticky and resinous and just sit on your tongue. This one is so crisp and clean, and the alcohol is so well-hidden, it almost drinks like an IPA or pale ale, but is still full-bodied and powerful like a DIPA should be. It's kind of like Zombie Dust on steroids.

O: Ever since I first had this over a year ago, it's been my favorite DIPA of all-time. And I've revisited Heady since, I've tried Pliny and had Double Sunshine twice, etc. I've had most of them. But this one just stands apart for me. The aroma is huge and alive, the flavors are so bright and complex, and the mouthfeel and finish are just so perfectly balanced. My only knock would be that it can be a touch too sweet on the back end. Not cloying sweet, but like a ton of fruit juice was poured into your glass sweet. A minor complaint in an otherwise perfect beer. I know this beer has been Top 50 for a while, but I'm shocked that I can just pick it off the shelf with no limits every time they put it out. This beer is world-class and deserves a lot more attention in the DIPA world.

Recommendation: Must-try, hop-head or not.

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Rosebrook for this one, bottled 12/19/14.

Loads of mango, mandarin bit of tangerines. Very juicy fruit. Not aggressive at all and super smooth to drink.

4.29/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

FFF third best IPA offering after Zombie Dust and Space Cake Middle Finger

On tap at the 3 Floyds brewpub

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

yes.... so great.. so fresh... thank god I got this finally

4.98/5  rDev +10.2%

By far the best three floyds has to offer!!

3.5/5  rDev -22.6%

Not my favorite. Too sweet for me

Poured from bomber into Teku glass.

A. Golden staw color with nice two inch head. Great clarity, head retention, and lacing.

S. Pineapple, tropical fruits, with an undertone of pine. One of the best aromas I have encountered on a double ipa.

T. Amazing, this beer meets all expectations. Citrus, and Southern Hemisphere hops great tasting beer. It was balanced with a little more hop bitterness than malt, which is what I prefer.

M. Carbonation was nice yet easy and dry on the finish, taste stays on the tongue for a second.

O. Easily one of the best IIPA's I have ever had. There is a reason Three Floyds is known for great beers. Get this beer if you can!

(I was lucky to get a fresh bottle, I don't know how it would change with time.)

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

PIG FUCKING DESTROYER!!!!!!! Need i say more?

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

A. A beautiful light amber color with a white 2 finger foamy head. Great head retention. Very nice full ring lacing.

S. Very tropical fruit aroma mixed with pine.
Very inviting.

T. Wow. Very nice citrusy and tropical fruit character with a good amount of hoppy bitterness. Bitterness retains for a minute but finished very clean making you want more.

M. Nice light carbonation to start that picks up after the swallow and just hangs around long enough. Perfect for a DIPA.

O. One of the best DIPA's in the world in my books. Excellent balance of sweet to bitter taste. Looks great. Smells better. Feels great in the mouth but still finishes pretty clean. Very well done beer.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been trying to get this for SO long. Had the likes of Heady, Double Sunshine, King Sue, Abner, etc. Needed this to say I have tried some of the best DIPAs out there.

Appearance is gorgeous. I'd love a little fluffier, more sustained head, but don't we all just want a little more head? ;)

Aroma is ridiculous. Up there with the best. So juicy, resinous and downright tropical. No alcohol or harsh aromas to muddle the wonderful bouquet of this beer.

Flavor doesn't quite follow the aroma, but it is by no means far off. I have a sensitive palate to sweet beers, and this tip toes on the line of being too sweet. However, this bottle IS a month old and while it is still delicious, we all know IPAs get sweeter as the hops diminish with every day since bottling/canning/kegging. THAT BEING SAID...the tropical fruit plays with the sweetness and gives it a literal 'juicy' aspect. After it has sat for about 10 minutes, I get a lot of oranges, making this a literal 'Permanent Mimosa'. Very good. Just wish it was a little more resinous.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with soft carbonation and a long finish. Mouthfeel isn't syrupy or cloying in terms of the sweetness level.

Overall, this is definitely up there in the conversation for top 10 DIPAs out there. Not in my personal top 5, but certainly in my top 10. A real treat and so glad I got to try this badboy!

3.96/5  rDev -12.4%

This was pretty good, but I found it overly sweet, and with some downright weird flavors (that I've gotten in other hoppy FFF beers) that I just don't really love. Decent, but I'd never pick this up with the wealth of other options available.

4.91/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Essentially this is like an Imperial version of zombie dust. Seeing that ZD is my fave brew ever, I am crazy about this one. An amazing nose on this one and the taste follows right behind. Truly world class.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

I am not quite as knowledgeable as some but I know what I like. So do my bartenders Joel and Nick at Bigbys Pour House in Addison Illinois. Most times I walk in and a beer just appears. The past two days it has been Permanent Funeral. the beer is served in a small glass due to the 10.5% ABV. This fine brew does not taste like or go down like some of the higher ABV brews. It has a very nice carmel color and the head lingers a while. While it is a Double/Imperial IPA and I would have not chosen this initially believing that it would be strong and all hopped up it was DELICIOUS!! One of my favorites the past two months. Give it try.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a golden amber. Clear. Beige Lacey for me to finger head. Aroma! A mess of hops. Citrus fruits! Complex taste. Lemon. Oranges. Tropical over ripe fruits. High alcohol. Delicious beer.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.