Follow our progress ...

Permanent Funeral | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Added by MasterSki on 03-25-2013

Reviews: 308 | Ratings: 2,691
4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Review taken from notes mid May 2014. Bottle was given to me from my friend Matt who attended Dark Lord Day 2014 where he got it from. So it was very fresh.

1 pint, 6 oz brown bomber bottle in typical FFF style and shape. A ridiculously metal looking label with the head of a slain werewolf(swords still lodged into its skull). Then again, maybe this is how this beast looks when it kicks down a persons door to do its nightly business. Either way, its a pretty intense looking wolf. Poured into a nonic style pint glass.

A -Pour was of a golden orange with a ton of funk floating about. I'm talking big particles and that only means a grand stand of flavor and aromas. Big off white head settles fluffy and never goes away leaving phenomenal stick to the walls of my nonic glass.

S - big fruit forward aroma to start. Sweet tangerine and pineapple with hints of soft mango really grab the nose. Biscuity malt balance the aroma nicely giving off a sweet honey character toward the back end. A touch of alcohol spice is noticeable as this warms.

T - much the same as the nose. Big time tangerine, pineapple, sweet grapefruit, and a big splash of mango with apricot working in the backbone. The biscuity bread like malt does well balancing some pretty big sweetness going on. It's just a massive candied fruit bomb with the hops doing most of the work. Not bitter hops but luscious sweet fruity hops with a solid biscuit malt backbone. Some alcohol Booziness does creep up as it warms but only adds to its brilliance.

M - full bodied and thick as you'll find. This is straight up FFF at its best and adds yet another gem to its already stacked ipa/double ipa lineup. Coats the mouth almost shockingly well and leaves you thirsting that next sip of sweet goodies. Just a treat to drink.

O - Permanent Funeral is a grand offering from Three Floyds. It's definitely one worthy of grabbing a place in their year round or seasonal bottlings. Just when you think these guys can't add anymore brilliance in terms of a big ipa they slap everyone In the mouth and create an all out jewel of a brew like this. It's def my 2nd favorite brew from them behind only the infamous dreadnaught, but both offer different qualities and that's great to see. No doubt Permanent Funeral will go down as an all time great for years to come.

3.95/5  rDev -11.4%

Draft at Mikkeller
Hard to see through orange body. White sticky head.
Sweet caramel malt laden citrus/tropical fruity aroma.
Quite malty but I assume it is pretty fresh even halfway across the globe. It does pack quite a punch of hops though.
Smooth and creamy and supremely bitter.

I love 3-F's but I had never heard of this but I figures why not but at $15 for a pale ale I thought it was a gamble. Turns out I hit the full on beer jackpot!

A - Beautiful vibrant orange color. Brightly opaque capturing all of the light in it's brilliantly dry hopped body with a perfect fine white head and moderate lacing.

S - Extremely strong hop fragrance with tons of tropical fruit that you would ever want all packed into one glass. Mostly a papaya, pineapple, and mango mixture that I can barely describe the awesomeness. Could smell it as I opened the bottle. Like a grownups candy it makes your mouth water. Definitely the best smelling beer ever!

T - Beastly hop flavor with a full fruit bouquet hop character with tons of tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, and dank resin hops to round yield one of the greatest beers ever made. If you like tropical flavored hops by the bucket full this is a great beer. There is some malt and the slightest amount of alcohol but it's all masked by the hop explosion on your taste buds. The bitterness seems perfect without detracting from the amazing hop flavor. This is clearly a Citra lovers wet dream. I would alike it to Zombie Dust that has been infused with gamma rays and turned into a Zombie Hulk!

M - The perfect medium mouth-feel with perfect carbonation. Basically only the hops sit on the tongue but some how it isn't too much and I never wanted to stop drinking it.

Overall, probably the best beer I've ever had. Amazing aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. This brew is absolutely perfect for every hop head out there that loves tropical flavored hops. This beer went down fast and I wish I could have it's grace in my presence again. Super rare but I would shell out big $$ to get this again, any day.

Glass- Tulip

4.54/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As you might guess from the specs this is a very big body IPA. It is definitely typical of 3 Floyd's having the same hop and yeast characteristics, just more in this case.

color - darker gold/ orange

Smell - great hops across the spectrum - Citrus, pine, dank, floral

Taste - Big body, but balanced by the great hops. some maltiness and also grapefruit and citrus that almost make for a crisp finish, but not quite.

mouthfeel - creamy and a little sticky

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

1799th Review on BA
Bottle to 3F Teku
22 oz

Thanks to KevanB for this one.

App- Out of the bottle, this is a blend of dark orange with a little golden yellow towards the base. A bigger 1-1/2 in head that was a wee bit frothy forms and then leaves more of a soap bubble film along the side of the glass. A bit of a ring forms and stays for quite a while.

Smell- Its a battle on the nose. I think this one is starting to slide a little but its got a good sweet fruited nose with a little bit of rind and skin tropical must. A bit more mango and guava and balanced by a candy coated sweetness. The malts are fighting to come through and battle with the hops to take over.

Taste- Its a bit more caramel than I wouldve thought. I like the balance on this one between sticky candy hops and a sweet malt backbone with a bit of grassy herbal flavor and more of a tropical fruit note. Its not overtly one way or another, just a good big beer. A sipper for sure. Im halfway done and its creeping on me. For some reason as it warms I am getting a small raisin flavor.

Mouth- A very big and solid medium body on this one. Even bordering on a bit thick. The carbonation level is a bit frothy and riddled with caramel. The residual feel is more of a candy like caramel. Dissipates quickly and leaves more sweetness and hop oil around.

Drink- Well Kevan has struck again and landed a long time want for me. Its always good to have some friends in the midwest. I enjoyed this beer and was pretty damn good. A bigger DIPA for sure.

4.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle into pint glass. Bottled in December, drank in June. I wish this was FRESH, but I am so happy I got it!

A- Golden Straw body with a single finger white head
S - Citra HOPS! Sweet, citrus and flowery
T- WOW, Again I wish can't wait to try this fresh to taste some of the shaper hops, but this is crazy good in terms of the hop bill. Just like the smell, I get sweet, citrus and flowers. No sharp pine to speak of.
M - Solid IPA feel. I may be so distracted by the hops flavors that I'm giving extra point to the mouthfeel.
O- Next time I see this beer, I am going to buy as many as I can and drink them all as fresh as possible.

4.37/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to chidave!

A: light bronze, crystal clear, 1finger of head with nice lacing
S: BIG floral aroma not so much citrusy
T: major hop presence with an extremely bitter aftertaste. great carbonation
M: this hops vapor rub coating seems like it will linger all evening
O: this is a great dbl ipa which to me is consistent with the great run of the mill west coast style dbl ipa. glad to have taken off the list.

Holy shit! I cannot how believe how much of a grapefruit bomb this beer is and how light bodied it is for 10.5% ABV! I am sure their must be a good deal of corn sugar in here to make it this light but the way it is used is exceptional.

4.19/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle (bottled 3/6/14) poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a quite hazy, pale orangey golden color, almost fruit juicy in appearance with a thick cap of off-white, dense foam and lots of sticky lacing on the glass.

S - Thick and heavy hop aroma, plenty fruity with tropical notes of pineapple, citrusy grapefruit and resiny pine. Firm malt backbone too...sweet maltose, caramel, a bit worty in aroma. A fair amount of yeasty esters too...contributes to the overall fruitiness of the beer.

T - I get a big piney hop blast on the first sip that plays off of the sweet, sugary, maltose'y malt profile. The malt gives this an impression of almost a hop syrup. Not especially bitter, rather focusing on the hop flavors - again tropical in nature with a mix of pine and some slightly background citrus. Mildly buttery, caramelly, noticeable alcohol, estery, lightly yeasty.

M - Has the feel of being a very big beer...which it is. Thick and syrupy in body with a lowish/medium carbonation that brings some life and shows a tendency towards foamy in feel. Has a sweet candy on bitter and fruity hop flavor that is mildly dessert-like. Alcohol is noticeable, but not distracting - you do know that this has a bit of a kick to it though.

O - Its been a while since I've had a bottle of Dreadnaught, but this seems reminiscent of that fine beer in my recollections. Malt profile is pure Three Floyds - their bigger IPA/DIPA offerings seem pretty similar in this regard. I think the yeast used in common among many of these beers too. I find Three Floyds and Stone have very distinctive and identifiable fermentation profiles that I feel confident I can pickup blind pretty easily. Very glad I got to give this one a try.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a Jester King goblet.

A: Deep apricot in color with two fingers of creamy off-white head.

S: Juicy citrus, apricot, grapefruit, stone fruit, some malt

T: Citrusy hops, creamy malts, faint alcohol in the finish

M: Medium body and low carbonation, almost creamy from the malts, which are perfectly balanced with the hops.

O: Probably my favorite Three Floyds beer available in bomber-format. A really solid, gushing, citrus-forward IPA, easily up there with the likes of PsuedoSue, etc.

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I was lucky enough to purchase a case of bombers from DLD this year. I bought it after a small taste of a guy that was in line at the beer kiosk! Holy moly, this beer is awesome. I really like ZD, but PF is just flat out AMAZING!

A- Has a reddish orange tinge to it. Looks almost like a Killian's Irish Red.

S- Has a smell of fermenting fruits with a hoppy/boozy finish.

T- The taste was surprisingly smooth. I was expecting a bit of harshness, but one I was gravely mistaken. Had hints of fruit (honeydew), and almost a legume taste to it (as weird as that sounds, it was utterly delicious).

M- It is a bit thicker than a stereotypical beer, but feels great on the palate

O- I would rate this beer as one of my favorites. Venturing out into the world beyond blue moon and fat tire is sure exciting. I'm thankful that I live within an hour drive of FFF. This craft beer stuff is pretty tasty but can get expensive pretty quickly.

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on tap at the 3Floyds taproom. Poured a light orange, hazy, with a decent sized white head. Hop-forward aroma, which gave way to a very well blended DIPA. The malt comes through with a sweeter, caramel flavor to balance the slight bitterness from the hops. Overall, well balanced and delicious. Glad I could try it fresh from the source!

4.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Shared bottle poured into snifter

A-Pours amber with a low white head. Decent lacing.

S-Aromas of orange, peach, apricot, grapefruit, and straw.

T-Taste is orange, peach, apricot, grapefruit, and resin.

M-Mouthfeel is medium bodied and medium carbonated with some silky notes.

O-I need more of this! One of the best, don't taste the 10.5%

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Acquired in a trade with oldschool9, thanks bud!

A nectar-like IPA which I'm stoked to try, poured into a nonic pint glass.

A: Orange-apricot in color, cloudy, with a healthy dose of suspended yeast. Looks like sea monkeys live in there. A small, sudsy head completely recedes leaving almost no lacing.

S: The nose is obviously hop-forward, resiny and citrusy. Lots of rindy grapefruit and orange. Malt-backbone is ample and caramelly. Booze is there but not overpowering, barely warming my nose.

T/M: Citrus and bitter rind at the front, along with a touch of pine. Caramelly malts quickly even things out, leaving an orange-y undertone. Not as oily and resinous as you'd expect for a 10.5% ale, with adequate carbonation keeping the mouthfeel lively and refreshing. Flavors are incredibly harmonized, with a surprisingly quick and clean finish. Yum.

What an incredible beer. I've been disappointed (slightly) with some of the coveted, non-West Coast-style IPA's, but I'd put this up against just about any of my favorite IPA's. Refreshing, layered, balanced, drinkable (dangerously)...no hype in this one, this is the real deal.

This is by the perfect beer for me. The smell and the taste is just amazing. I love the thick body for the beer. You can't even tell the high 10.5 abv. This beer is not always available at the brewpub and I really wish it was. Well actually not cause I would go broke cause I would always keep my fride full.

4.84/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Dank, dank dank hops in every aspect of this great beer. Cloudy hoppy golden appearance. Hop smells waft out of the glass with pine, citrus and some bready aspects from the malts. Flavor profile follow suit with a huge punch of wonderfully balanced hops and malts. Just a great beer from FFF. Thrilled to have picked up a case.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served – Bottle poured into an IPA glass 4 days after bottling.

A – Mildly hazy, golden straw color, big fluffy white head, great retention, light carbonation.

S – Citrus forward. Pretty spectacular. Lots of orange, grapefruit, and other citrusy goodness.

T – A lot of citrus. Grapefruit is the main one, a little orange, a tiny hint of pine, and just a small hint of malt backbone to round it out.

M – Pretty perfect. Light bubbles tickle the tongue. Just the right amount of bitterness. Not sure how it can be better for a big DIPA. No alcohol detected.

O – The best FFF beer I’ve had thus far. Hell, it might be the best beer I’ve had period.

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A-Cloudy deep yellow orange, one finger head that tries to leave some lacing.

S-Rather tropical, very dank. Very dank. Extra dank. It isn't a super hoppy in the traditional sense but just loads of dank tropical notes.

T-Starts with tropical notes, nice and sweet. Ends with nice bitterness. The balance is where it needs to be. And absolutely amazing DIPA.

M-Medium bodied, nice carbonation, very smooth.

O-An absolutely amazing DIPA. It isn't the best out there but it easily ranks among the best.

Appearance: A glorious gamboge/amber head with an isabelline/ivory head.

Aroma: Profound notes of mango, orange, and grapefruit.

Taste: Floral notes, burnt citrus, pine, and what I would best describe as 'spicy honey'.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and crisp with a smooth, malty finish.

Overall: One of the best IPAs I have had not only from 3F, but overall; this one is a winner.

4.39/5  rDev -1.6%

Been anticipating this one for a long time. Appearance is exactly what I want in a dipa, beautiful hazy copper orange. Less nose than I expected, could pick up some grapefruit and pine but not overwhelming. At first was slightly disappointed. Seemed a bit unrefined and bitter. After sitting for five minutes and warming up the citrus starts to come out and evens out. Half way through bottle it was what I had hoped for. Overall a wonderful dipa and worthy of its rating. Definitely not an everyday beer or for faint of heart but one I hope to secure again in the future.

4.84/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Medium orange colored with a thick white foam that sticks around the glass the entire time.

Smell: Wow. Huge, citrus fruit aroma (orange, tangerine, grapefruit). Subtle malt backbone that comes through more as it warms.

Taste: Much like the nose - strong citrus fruits of orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and maybe some pineapple. Tastes almost like fruity candy. Some biscuity malt.

Feel: Medium bodied and slightly creamy. Hides the high ABV well.

Overall: My favorite FFF brew. One of the best DIPAs out there. If you see this one, make sure you pick it up!

4.29/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle acquired in trade. Poured from bottle into chilled pint glass. Appearance is beautiful, cloudy, murky orange/amber haze. One-inch thick white, fluffy head which dissipated gradually to persistent white collar, with ample tiny bubbles and lots of very sticky lacing throughout. The nose is incredibly pungent, yielding a malty citrus/mango/banana/pineapple & piney scent. Sadly, the impression on the palate does not quite match the promising nose, as the malts and heat from the alcohol tend to overwhelm. Mouthfeel is nice, full and supple, with appropriate carbonation.

All said and done, a very good DIPA, but could benefit from a little more floral citrus and balance on the palate. Well done nonetheless.

4.37/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a glowing orange color with just a touch of haze. A really nice one finger cream colored head shows good retention and gives some nice lace.

S: A rich blanket of tropical fruit and caramel malt. A touch of spicy pine, mango, peach and honey. Smells pretty nice.

T: Mango and peach upfront, with a resinous pine note creeping in around the middle. Finish brings a blanket of caramel malt and some lingering pine on the finish. From reading other reviews, it seems like this has faded a bit in the month and a half since it was bottled. Really glad to have tried it, but I'll have to try it again a bit fresher.

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber poured into teku.

A: Bright hazy amber gold. White foamy head with nice lacing.

S: Grapefruit and tangelo peel; guavas and mangos…tropical fruit EVERYWHERE; mild pine.

T: Pine bitterness, followed by tropical fruits; nice and bitter; perfect balance of fruitiness, bitterness, and maltiness. Great malt backbone.

M: Medium- to highly-carbed; so smooth and drinkable; each sip leaves the palate dry and bitter…and ready for another sip.

O: Top-notch DIPA.

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a hazy golden orange.

The aroma is very hop juice. Very bright of grapefruit, citrus peel, pineapple, mango, some sweetness and a light bready malt.

The flavor follows with a predominant note of clean light grapefruit and citrus peel. There’s a very pristine sweetness behind this beer without having a big malt backbone or substantial. The finish is again of grapefruit and a hint of herbal quality that Citra gives.

This beer does not show itself as a 10.5% ABV through alcohol nor its malt body, which are the two usual giveaways. An clean drinking beer, which is on par for how Three Floyds constructs their hoppy beers.

Despite the bottle being 5 months old, this held up being incredible well. Possibly the best hoppy beer from Three Floyds.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.