Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,089
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 279 | Hads: 2,532
4.77/5  rDev +7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fresh bottle (less than a month old) poured into a tulip glass. Track one from Pig Destroyer's album Book Burner playing. The color is a beautiful light orange brown and retained less than a finger of head for a few minutes. Robust lacing. Gorgeous. At refrigerator temperature, I just got a nose full of grapefruit and assorted citrus, but as the beer warmed and the smell developed, I got a distinct sense of pepper to balance out the sweeter citrus. The Diplomat, track five playing. This really does taste like a heavier Zombie Dust, but still feels refreshing in the mouth, which is surprising. It's not heavy at all, unlike track 10, Baltimore Strangler. It's a concise sip: pepper, citrus, crisp finish, all in rapid succession. All in all, an incredible beer. I wish I had picked up more than just one of these when I saw it in the shop.

By the way, in terms of pairing this with food - I drank the first half of the bomber while cooking and enjoying spaghetti and red sauce for dinner, and the second half with ice cream afterward. Honestly, I got the best flavor when I was just drinking the beer; pairing it feels like a conundrum. It doesn't have the same dry acidy bite that calls out for cheese that I sometimes get from other big pale ales, and it's not as sweet as I expected from some of the other reviews. (I am guessing that the people who find it extraordinarily sugary are not drinking it fresh.) I hope I find it again so I can get closer to matching it with the perfect partner. In short: get some of this if you can, and don't hold on to it - drink it!

4.71/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into tulip glass.

Appearance: Deep golden honey color with a nice frothy head at first.

Smell: This is quite possibly one of the best-smelling / most aromatic beers I've ever had. The smell is very fresh, hoppy, and fruity. Had my mouth watering as I poured it.

Taste: This is a fantastic tasting beer. Ranks right up there as one of the best DIPAs I've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel: There is a bit of a viscous feel to hit. Almost like theres a slight bit of honey in it.

Overall: This beer was crazy good. Easily making it into my top 3. Can't wait to gave more!

3.94/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A beautiful looking beer: a slightly burnt bright orange. A nice but not overpowering piney-citrus scent and a big oily mouthfeel. Upfront the taste is intense: pungently hoppy with a grapefruit orange flavor. But I found the finish just a bit bland. Nice no doubt but not as powerful as I expected.

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Golden orange hue, perfect color for a DIPA

S - Citrus notes, hop forward

T - Grapefruit, dankness, hop resin. Just lovely

M - Masterfully carbonated, lingers in the mouth for the perfect amount of time

O - This may be the best DIPA I've ever had. I prefer it to Heady, and it's neck and neck with Pliny. I hope to find this one again sometime down the road...

A - Frothy white head several fingers high. Great head retention and lacing. Pours a golden orange.

S - Incredible hop aroma. Strong Tangerine citrus aroma. Slight cookie-like malt peeking through.

T - Just about the best thing I've ever tasted. It tastes like they made a double zombie dust and dumped a bunch of tangerines in. The high alcohol levels are brilliantly hidden by the sweet citrus and intense bitterness in the finish.

M - Fairly thick, slightly viscous mouthfeel, but still fairly drinkable for a high abv beer like this. Perfect for this style.

O - One of, if not my all-time favorite beers. I get this every chance I get. I cannot emphasize the importance of freshness with this one though. I've had it several times in a bomber a couple weeks after being bottled, and it was amazing; however, I had it on draft at a place that tapped it 6 months ago, and it was a completely different beer. The tangerine and citrus hop aroma and flavor were gone, and all that was left was malt and intense bitterness.

4.95/5  rDev +11%

What a perfect DIPA! Had it on-tap in a tall pint glass in Perrysburg, Ohio at Swig. Thank you Three Floyd's and thank you Swig. At $9 a pint, I decided to switch to the much less expensive Ballast Point Sculpin after that. Might as well have had a Bud. Just couldn't taste the Sculpin after that amazing hop blast from 3F.

4.28/5  rDev -4%

Received this beast from my buddy Scott in person. Poured from a bomber into my Stone goblet...

A - Pours a very hazy golden orange color, with a thin 1/2 finger of off-white head.

S - Has a unique, dank smell. Not really fruity, or earthy. Very unique, but not in a bad way.

T/M - The taste is heavy on the tropical fruits. Mango, papaya and a little pineapple round out this DIPAs hop profile. A pretty big malt bill is the base of this beer, but it's just right to stand up the hops. Mouthfeel is a little thin, good carbonation.

O - A damn good DIPA! Great hop profile, and a very pleasant hop aftertaste left behind. For 10.5% abv, this has almost no trace of alcohol heat at all. I do however prefer my DIPAs to be a little heavier on the tongue, but that's the only negative I can come up with. Overall, this beer is a must for any lover of hops.

3.88/5  rDev -13%

Pour is a hazed dark amber with a tight off white head. Nose is piney hops, resin, notes of orange peel, and an underlying grain. Taste is not overly hoppy, a bit of balance with the hops bringing pine and a hint of hop resin. The citrus comes in in back, strong orange and a touch of orange juice. Finish is very dry, gently carbonated with a soft body.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz Bomber
Three Floyd's Brewpub

Bottled: 3/4/14

4 Days old. Whew, potent! I can smell this beer from a yard away. Permanent Funeral is the color of heavily tarnished copper and the haze enough that there's no chance of seeing anything through the body. A weathered white head caps the surface and is bolstered by a constant stream of carbonation. Sheet lacing and heavy drink lines cover the glass. This looks like an IIPA I would enjoy consuming.

Holy shit this beer smells amazing! Straight up, potent, tropical fruits fill the air anywhere near the glass. Mango and papaya by the shovel full, peach and apricot as well. Not only are these fruits juicy ripe but the candy sweet dried versions are in there as well. A little Floridian citrus brings up the rear. Candied grapefruit and orange peel. Sugar cookie sweet malt and a dash of caramel make up the malt base and with some warming a peppery alcohol compliment creeps in. This beer smells like the best fruit salad you could imagine.

Those tropicals I mentioned in the nose are in full force in the flavor. Fresh and dried tropical fruits hit right off the bat and follow through to mid palate where peach, nectarine, and apricots take over. The finish tastes so much like dried apricots that I feel like I've just eaten a handful. It's crazy how each individual flavor is so distinct yet segues so seamlessly to the next. A touch of peppery alcohol spices up the finish. The malt brings a drizzle of light caramel. Undercurrents of citrus are again in play. Damn...

A beer this big should never, ever be this easy to drink. The body feels moderate and while there's a touch of powdery sweetness the finish dries up nicely. Not a whisper of viscosity or stickiness. The bitterness eventually numbs the tongue but never destroys the palate. Dangerous...

As I sat reviewing this beer, each number I entered I thought to myself "this can't be that good", and with each successive drink it was actually that good. An IIPA dripping with juicy fruits, an aroma that makes you salivate uncontrollably, assertive bitterness, and drinkability that will get you in trouble. This is the best IIPAs I've had in ages and probably prefer to Dreadnaught. Oh, and Pig Destroyer is fucking HEAVY!

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Cloudy darker amber that starts with a 1/2 finger head and dissipates to a spotty thin foam fairly quickly.

S - Not a huge aroma for this beer. A muted citrus (grapefruit and Pineapple?) with some malty and dank sweetness.

T - This definitely gets some points for showing no signs of the 10.5%. Suppose that's the permanent funeral part, dangerously drinkable. Balanced tasted with a citrusy fruit start and a medium hoppy finish. Again score gets a boost considering how well the alcohol is "hidden".

M - Smooth but not remarkable mouthfeel. Has a nice oily finish considering the alcohol.

O - Again did not blow me away with complex flavor and taste but the alcohol is hidden and I could drink alot of this. It has the potential to be a permanent funeral.

3.95/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into a goblet.
Tawny gold in color, with a nice cap of bone-white foam.
Aroma- Heady bouquet of piney/citrus hops
Taste-Onrush of sweet, toasted malt, pineapple and candy sugar. Big hop profile not quite enough to keep things in balance, as this brew comes off a bit too sweet for my tastes. Cries out for a spicy food pairing to balance things out a bit.

3.89/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A-dark gold. Not very transparent. Head is decent at about 1 inch and slightly off white.

S- sugar, pine, citrus. In that order.

T- very similar to the smell. The sugary malt really takes over this beer. The hops are there but they are overwhelmed by malt. The fruit is also overwhelmed by the sugar.

O- this beer us delicious but the sugaryness to it keeps it from being outstanding to me. This bottle was dated almost 2 months ago so that could have something to do with it. Will revisit this beer again more fresh.

4.77/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours out a hazy burnt orange to yellow with one finger of suds that leave lacing around the pint glass. The small bubbles stay with the pour throughout the sipping process.
Smell is dank wet pine and orange/mango overtones. This is so bright in aroma and is one of the best beers I have ever put a nose to.
Taste is mellow orange/grapefruit peel and sweet mango with a sweet candy sugar finish. This is a very clean but sticky beer that cleanses the palate but leaves that dark dank pine tar.
Mouthfeel is great here. I poured this a little cold but it holds up well and goes down so darn smoothe. Only a slight stickiness can be had here and it is very sweet. Makes you want to drink this brew quickly.
Overall I really like this PALE ALE from Three Floyds. Rivals Zombie Dust in hop flavor and drinkablilty. Well done!

3.63/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
10.5% ABV, 100 IBUs, 12/13/13 on bottle.

A - A generous dollop of dense foam rests on the hazed golden beer with little recession, helping maintain the beer's big hop aroma, while thin lace splatters on the glass when the beer is swirled.

S - Sharp, sticky hops brutally attack the nose with relentless resinous quality, stabbing with sugar-coated mango, pepper, and grapefruit rind and mild notes of earthy pine sap. Stiff malt provides an abundance of caramel sweetness, trailed by alcohol for a warming - a full-smelling body.

T - Permanent Funeral is hoppy, ridiculously f-ing hoppy, past the double IPA point of hoppy. The first sip though, strangely brings fourth the beer's massively sweet malt base; sweet to the point of being cloying. The second sip unleashes a wave of super bitter, tooth enamel-stripping pine sap-like hop resin with a secondary focus on tropical fruit notes that clashes on the tongue.

M - There's no beating around the bush with Permanent Funeral; this double IPA is one of the most bitter beer's I've experienced. It's like sucking on a hop cone. The hefty malt base tries to even the playing field but it's the lingering sticky sweetness that fights the onslaught of bitter hop resin for attention all throughout that really strikes a nerve with me. The alcohol warmth finishes out with a stomach-warming heat.

O - I'll be honest, Permanent Funeral isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I love double IPAs, but this beer just goes a bit over-the-top. It's extreme hop profile and almost cloyingly sweet malt base clash on my tongue, finishing with neither component the victor, just a mash-up of one extreme vs. the other without compromise or collaboration.

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

good lord this is a good beer!

A- beautiful deep golden orange cloudy with two finger white head, super tight bubbles that stick around...oh yea not to mention that pig destroyer is one of my favorite bands!

S- dang! huge grapefruit, pineapple, mango, citrus-piney goodness that has the right amount of malt on the nose to know its gonna be good.. not getting much booze at all

T- Yep, this is anamazing beer..a nice grapefruit and hop bitterness,then a tad sweetness from the malt to balance it out and finishes with a nice citrus aftertaste with a slightly dry finish leaving you to want more.. just the right amount of balance on this beer everything I look for in a IPAs from the smell to the finish. For the ABV this is amazing

M- medium, the right amound of carb, and a slightly dry finish

O- I need more! I caught myself drinking this way too fast because it was so delicious, so smooth and balanced.. good lord this is a good beer!

4.81/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tap pour into a tulip.

A-Rich golden color, slightly cloudy with a finger of cream colored head that really has staying power, lots of lacing.

S-Galaxy hops? Strong, strong citra hop profile with grapefruit, orange, green pepper. Very similar to Zombie Dust and elements of the other pale ales in FFF's line-up.

T-Hop forward (no surprises there) with Galaxy hops standing out the most, the booze heat sneaks in with more citrus flavor underneath that, with grapefruit tang and hop bitterness on the finish with a very long, resiny aftertaste. Like a sampler platter of all the good elements of FFF's different pales.

M-Very resiny, a bit dry on finish, mild booze heat left my lips tingling a bit.

O-Fantastic example of what FFF is doing with pale ales.

4.91/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this for the second time on draft at the Three Floyds tap takeover at Tap on Main. I had rated this beer before but was unable to give it a proper review due to the setting. This time I was able to stop and take some notes, so here we go.

Pours to a hazy amber gold in tone. Head only achieves about an inch of off white head. So often top pours try not to give you much head. A little more here would have been nice, otherwise perfect. Nose is flourishing citrus and floral hops explosion. Super fragrant and it really gets the mouth watering. Taste is just so big and luscious with the gambit of citrus going on here. You get citrus rind, juicy freshness, and even the orange based meaty pulp plays in the flavor. The flavor profile of this beer is just so vibrant and full. Really on of the most flavorful and drinkable DIPA's I have ever enjoyed, and I've had a few. Complex and not abrasive at all.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Luminous orange color. Fragrant pine and mango on the nose. This is sticky, gooey, luscious hop business from start to finish. It's humid and tropical up in here -- just like you want a DIPA. The hops bite nice, but the malt rounds things off perfectly. This is extremely well balanced. A delightful beer, but falls just short of the hype for me. It may be the freshness factor: My bottle was 1.5 months old. I would definitely reevaluate with a slightly fresher offering.

4.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the BavarIan Lodge - Lisle, IL
L - served in a snifter; brilliant amber body, creamy ivory head
S - awesome aroma! Sweet, ripe apricots, caramel, pine
T - apricots again here, very sweet, but very bitter also. Pungent grapefruit, caramel, pine, a bit tropical, booze is well contained for 10+% and is hardly noticeable.
F - full bodied, ample carbonation, bitter, dry finish conquers the palate
O - one of the best DIPAs I've had. Too bad it was a one-off. I love its uniqueness, especially with the apricot notes.

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a clean, dark orange color with a robust, persistent off-white head that laces like crazy.

S - Citrus combines with other mineral and vegetal hop notes. Some fine pine elements. Quite punchy.

T - About as bright a first hit as I've had. I immediately was reminded of biting into the bright red pulp of a red grapefruit. Lemon and orange come to the game. Some of the minerality of the nose comes out near the end. A strong bitter bite builds, but that is to be expected.

M - Given the hop assault this lays out, this is surprisingly smooth going down, but with significant drying at the end.

O - No one would mistake this as anything other than a serious beer. Surprising, given its over 10% ABV, is the lack of heavy booziness. This could get you in trouble for sure. One of the finest DIPAs I've had.

4.49/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

#1 1/24/14

Permanent Funeral is a thick light orange color. It has a lot of brightness along with its thick opacity. The yellowish head is fluffy and rocky, and big as most FFF DIPAs are. Lacing is thick and heavy, and distributed in seeming proportion to the beer's big overall character.
This beer has a familiarity to it, as there's a common nature and character connecting all of this brewery's (huge) DIPAs. They seem to tweak a recipe and pump out amazing beers with just little differences here and there. This one's as much a beast as any of the others. It produces massive citrus notes and a huge bitterness, but countered by malts and balanced such that hops rule unquestionably but aren't too harsh to be distinctly delicious. Grapefruit and orange have flesh and peel elements together to make it juicy, raw and fresh, while pine resin bites a bit and notes of grass, herb, earth and young green wood make it immensely well-rounded and complex.
The feel is dry without giving off an aspirin or chalk-like scrape on the tongue, staying consistently dry but keeping the tongue from fatigue with the juiciness. The body is big but not too heavy, enough to support everything happening without weighing down. The bite is strong from beginning to end, and smoothness is not neglected.

4.58/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is definitely a big beer, but what I really like about it is the strong malt backbone that can hold up to the gush of citrusy hops. This beer pours a hazy orange with a serious head that sticks to the glass leaving behind a gluelike crust as you drink. Big citrus aromas with a citrusy taste held in check by a caramel malt keeping this big beer from wrecking your palate. This brew only got better on the second pour from the bomber. Plenty of hoppy flavor without too much bitterness. FFF hit the nail on the head with this one.

3.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy light orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and tropical fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest and tropical fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a fairly clear copper with a lingering, dense cream head that leaves sheets of lacing as it dissipates.

Sweet tropical fruit, resin, and dank cannabis form the initial aroma. Mango, grapefruit, and pineapple are dominated by skunky notes.

Flavor reveals a base of tart fruit, which is supported by a strong body of toasted caramel malt, becoming resiny and just a touch bitter in the finish. Grapefruit pith, lemon, green papaya, and mango emerge. Great quantities of fruity and resiny hops. Lightly burnt caramel surfaces again in the aftertaste. As the drink wears on, tropical notes seem more citrusy, weigh orange dominating.

Body is silky smooth and fairly full, with moderate carbonation and notes alcohol warmth.

Delicious beer, with great hop presence on all fronts. Hop bittering and malt sweetness are fairly balanced. Fruit notes dominate, overall. Would love to have side by side with Dreadnaught.

Poured into an oversized wine glass

Appearance:Perfect dense golden color with a steady nice head of about an inch.
Smell: Passion fruit and pine with hints of citrus .
Taste: Perfect balanced not bitter, refreshing citrus and piney flavor.
Mouthfeel: Not sweet or bitter,almost perfect carbonation, great pine like after taste.
Overall: Huge beer, definitely in my Top 5 all time. Unique aroma of passion fruit and pine with hints of citrus. A must try !

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.