Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,087
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 279 | Hads: 2,533
2.8/5  rDev -37.2%

Why this beer gets 100 on BeerAdvocate is beyond me. this beer tastes stale and oxidized, cloying with the malt, and I drank a fresh bottle! (only 3 weeks old). 3Floyds is just not good with IPAs. Stouts yes, but their IPAs suck. they need to learn how to brew a new age IPA like New England.

2.78/5  rDev -37.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

I'm resigned to the fact that certain flavor profiles must not be compatible with my palate. This was a bottle less than 30 days old, and was reminiscent of stale, cold french onion soup. Looked nice, didn't smell terrible, but the taste of garlic and onion was overwhelming. Bad bottle? I don't know. Maybe I'll find out someday. As much I adore Gumballhead and Zombie Dust, this was an epic 3F's failure for me. I'll chalk it up as an "it wasn't meant to be" experience and move on.

4.87/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured cold into a tulip glass. Bottled on 11/12/14, consumed on 12/19/14.
Look = 4.5 Pours a cloudy golden orange color with 2.5 fingers of thick, creamy off white head. Great retention and lace.
Aroma = 5.0 Hops everywhere! Citrus and tropical fruit notes are everywhere! Big orange juice, pineapple, mango - really strong and smells great!
Taste = 5.0 Terrific. Citrus and tropical fruit flavors dominate, really juicy. Hop forward with a little sweet malt balance. A moderate bitterness on the finish.
Feel = 4.5 Light feel for a DIPA, not syrupy but also not watery. Low resin, juicy. Medium bodied with medium carbonation; fits the flavor profile well.
Drinkability = 4.75 Incredibly drinkable DIPA, low bitterness and terrific flavor profile. Could sip on all day long.
Overall = 4.825 New highest rated beer for me. Terrific in all categories.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served on tap at Mikkeller Bar Bangkok.
Earthy spicy fruity garlicky hops. Really rich and sweet. I'm not sure I love this. It's a bit...much? It tries to do too much. The aftertaste though is overwhelming. It doesn't end. I can't get it to go away. It clings through water, through pickles. It's a candied papaya sort of flavor with drying bitterness. Candy like and increasingly pleasant the more I drink. What a DIPA. Color me impressed, but one is enough forever.

3.98/5  rDev -10.8%

I think the label design is actually better than the beer. This is a perfect example of a beer that is overrated because it comes from a trusted brewery. Love 3 Floyds, but there's no way that this brew deserves a Top spot.

4.63/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At Huna '15 this was an incredibly delicious IPA. I had this right after drinking heady. Less orange/peach but more body, better aroma, and all around better IPA for my money.

4.96/5  rDev +11.2%

Good into one with a friend last night thanks to a trade. Poured from the bomber into a Teku glass.

A) Cloudy, hazy, orange. moderate foam head.

S) lots of tropical fruits and melons. lots of complexity in smell though. One of the best smelling beers out there. Bready Three Floyds malt bill/ yeast is there though. You know its a 3Floyds Just a wonderful beer to drink. I love Dreadnaught but this tastes better.

f) Full, chewy, resin

o) Outstanding beer. One of the best DIPA out there. Would love a heady vs PF comparison. For me this was better as I tried to remember the Heady . It is a lovely beer, the label although cool does not give the beer justice because it is not harsh in any way. Instead it is a fruity testament to hops. With the famed 3Floyds malt and yeast. Grandslam for me.

T) Damn its good. All those tropical flavors hit home. Mango, melon, a little grapefruit. bitterness is low despite the quoted 100IBU. Alcohol is non-existent. You could sip it or crush it almost.

4.62/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at FFF. Beautiful looking beer. Hazy orange, off-white head, moderate lacing. Nose is full of tropical goodness. Taste has strong notes of tangerine and mango, minimal bitterness, and has great overall balance. Love this beer.....possibly the best DIPA I've had.

4.98/5  rDev +11.7%

I could drink this every day. Absolutely one of the best beers I have ever had. The heavy fruity, citrusy taste, mixed with a light bitterness is what I look for in a IPA/DIPA. You can't go wrong with this one!

4.56/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy honey golden orange with quite a bit of solids in suspension with a thin layer of off-white foam.

Juicy tropical hops, notes of mango, papaya, pineapple, peach, and some pine.

Very tropical, flavor matches aroma quite well with notes of mango, pineapple, grapefruit, resin, and earthy pine.

Medium-bodied, light carbonation, chewy, juicy and tropical resin, and some piney bitterness.

Overall, not the best DIPA, but certainly a top 10 for me.

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

On tap at FFF brewpub poured into half pint. Appearance is that typical Floyd’s slightly hazy orange-copper color with an internal radiance that may have been fueled by my excitement that they re-tapped this beer after running out of one of their guest handles. A thin off-white cap remains in place for the duration and leaves rings. Aroma is tropical fruit, pineapple, orange, grapefruit peel, resin, pine, and caramel. Taste is medium citrus hop bitterness trailed by light malt sweetness. Medium bodied, oily and syrup thick texture, average to soft carbonation, finishes dry and bitter.

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this 100 times, whether via draft at Three Floyd's Pub or bomber, and I love it. BUT.... this is the only beer that made me and my dad look each other in the eye and say "wow, this is the best beer ever", upon having our first sip together.

4.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Aroma is outstanding in this beer, lots of juicy peach with some nice citrus, and some really dank pine to it. Flavor doesnt follow through though, very sweet and unbalanced.

On tap at the brewery w/ a cheese plate, girlfriend beside me, and nowhere else to go on a rainy August night. I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a beer more; perhaps the only instance close to this may have been trying Sip of Sunshine on tap at Prohibition Pig in Vermont - though the awesomeness of that is so much less in your face compared to what you get at 3 Floyds.

The beer itself... so juicy. So hoppy. So well balanced for a beer this big. Still blown away.

4.19/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into can glass

A: pure amber with perfect clarity a little head

S: very herbal and piney with slight citrus

T: very sweet a little citrusy but more floral and herbal

M: slightly creamy medium body

O: This beer is pretty good it's surprisingly sweet but it's not world class I'd drink it again on tap but at their 22 oz prices meh

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Phenomenal tasting beer worthy of a world class rating!
I got tons of onion and garlic on the aroma.
Tongue abrasive, palate killing taste!
Just a great beer, if you can get yer hands on a bottle DO IT!

4.71/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks so much to ErikO60102 for hooking me up with this big want of mine! Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. Bottleneck says 01/14/2015.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- Juicy, tropical fruit aroma brings to mind passionfruit, guava and pineapple.

T- Fruity in the onset with a bitterness that is certainly present yet perfectly restrained. Alcohol is incredibly well-concealed and there's just enough malt backbone to provide complementary sweetness leading to an overall balance that's damn near perfect. After multiple sips, the bitterness starts to slowly creep in but still stays at bay for the most part. Great hop burps.

M- Tangy and bright with medium carbonation and a lightish body. There's also a bit of creaminess upon further inspection.

O- How is this 10.5%? I can't wrap my head around how deliciously smooth this is while also being so high gravity. Astonishing. Just when I thought I've encountered all the wonderful and complex layers of flavor a DIPA has to offer, something like this comes along to show me that there are still a lot of innovations left to be seen in the style.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The strong alcohol content gets lost in the awesome hops that blend piney/earthy flavor and citrus. FFF gets it right with a lot of hop forward beers and Permanent Funeral is my favorite of them all

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: slightly dark amber with some cloudyness. Poured a nice white head and very good lacing
S: Very strong hops with a lot of pine behind it. Slight smell of citrus and malt back. Very good smelling
T: Not my favorite. This is a much more piney and bitter ipa. You get smacked in the face with hops and has a strong biterness. Still tastey and has a delicious after taste. Slight booze
M: 3F beers always have that perfect carbonation but this one has a bit of a stickyness to it.

O: A very bitter and piney Ipa def not my favorite but still a great beer.

4.54/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Again big thanks to bstyles for hooking me up with more super fresh bottles!
22 oz bottle, dated 1/14/15, poured into a teku

A- A clear bright golden orange with a two finger white head.

S- Damn this is good, tropical fruits, grapefruit rinds, citrus, hint of mint, pine, and some sweet malts and a touch of alcohol reminding me that this is 10.50% ABV.

T- Slightly boozy and some caramel malts that bring a really nice balance to the huge hop profile, big piney finish, bright citrus, some tropical fruits.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- Another awesome beer from 3 Floyds. Definitely worth seeking out, alcohol is not fully hidden, but it actually works in balancing the beer. Wish I had more!

3.98/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden orange color with a fluffy, chalky white head. 4

Smell is very citrus forward. Lots of orange and grapefruit, some mango. Also a decent amount of bready, maltiness on the nose. 4

Taste follows the nose. Bitter orange peel and grapefruit. HUGE bitterness. Like holy cow this is bitter. Big malt backbone too, but no real sweetness except for a slight candied orange flavor. The finish is malty and bitter (if that makes sense) and lasts quite a while. The ABV (10.5%) is not hidden. 4.25

Mouthfeel is very creamy for a DIPA in my opinion. 4

Overall a good beer, but I will probably stick to other IPAs in the future. Glad I got to try it. 3.75

4.66/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - Slightly hazy brilliant orange with a thick white 2 finger head
S - Pungent, with some dank then a massive wave of candied orange peel.
T - Bitter oranges with some malt sweetness to back it up. Bitterness on the finish, but not harsh, it rounds off the sip nicely
F - Good body, with perfect carbonation

Overall I was expecting a lot, and boy it delivered. Will be getting this again if I ever see it for sure.

4.49/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright, clear, and vibrant orange. Small white head with little retention.

Oh my what a great smelling beer. Tangerine, oranges, and grapefruit. Pine. Juicy.

Taste follows suit. Backed by sweet caramel, the citrus and pine are fresh and strong. It makes me want to gulp it.

Mouthfeel is full, soft, and clean. Carbivation is perfect. Juicy.

Quite frankly, this is one of the best ipas I've tried and one of three floyds best showings. Boom.

4.94/5  rDev +10.8%

Serving: 22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip. Dated 12/19/2014, making this just over 3 weeks old.

A: Pours a nice, bright orange color. Foamy 1-finger white head that sticks around. Has a nice haziness to it. Looks alive in the glass.

S: Huge! Mango, pineapple, papaya, tangerine, peach. This beer explodes right out of the bottle and fills the room instantly.

T: Oh man, wow! Huge tropical fruits up front. Mango, pineapple, peach, tangerine, papaya. Subtle hints of grapefruit zest. A touch of fruit juice sweetness on the back end. The flavor is unbelievably strong and just lights up your taste buds.

M: Here is where this beer sets itself apart from other DIPAs. Near perfect balance of bright tropical hop flavor and just the right balance of malt backbone. The not-too-bitter finish sticks around for just the right amount of time before fading and leaving a clean finish. I hate when big DIPAs get too sticky and resinous and just sit on your tongue. This one is so crisp and clean, and the alcohol is so well-hidden, it almost drinks like an IPA or pale ale, but is still full-bodied and powerful like a DIPA should be. It's kind of like Zombie Dust on steroids.

O: Ever since I first had this over a year ago, it's been my favorite DIPA of all-time. And I've revisited Heady since, I've tried Pliny and had Double Sunshine twice, etc. I've had most of them. But this one just stands apart for me. The aroma is huge and alive, the flavors are so bright and complex, and the mouthfeel and finish are just so perfectly balanced. My only knock would be that it can be a touch too sweet on the back end. Not cloying sweet, but like a ton of fruit juice was poured into your glass sweet. A minor complaint in an otherwise perfect beer. I know this beer has been Top 50 for a while, but I'm shocked that I can just pick it off the shelf with no limits every time they put it out. This beer is world-class and deserves a lot more attention in the DIPA world.

Recommendation: Must-try, hop-head or not.

4.33/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Rosebrook for this one, bottled 12/19/14.

Loads of mango, mandarin bit of tangerines. Very juicy fruit. Not aggressive at all and super smooth to drink.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.