Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,080
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 268 | Hads: 2,470
4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at FFF brewpub poured into half pint. Appearance is that typical Floyd’s slightly hazy orange-copper color with an internal radiance that may have been fueled by my excitement that they re-tapped this beer after running out of one of their guest handles. A thin off-white cap remains in place for the duration and leaves rings. Aroma is tropical fruit, pineapple, orange, grapefruit peel, resin, pine, and caramel. Taste is medium citrus hop bitterness trailed by light malt sweetness. Medium bodied, oily and syrup thick texture, average to soft carbonation, finishes dry and bitter.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this 100 times, whether via draft at Three Floyd's Pub or bomber, and I love it. BUT.... this is the only beer that made me and my dad look each other in the eye and say "wow, this is the best beer ever", upon having our first sip together.

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

Aroma is outstanding in this beer, lots of juicy peach with some nice citrus, and some really dank pine to it. Flavor doesnt follow through though, very sweet and unbalanced.

On tap at the brewery w/ a cheese plate, girlfriend beside me, and nowhere else to go on a rainy August night. I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a beer more; perhaps the only instance close to this may have been trying Sip of Sunshine on tap at Prohibition Pig in Vermont - though the awesomeness of that is so much less in your face compared to what you get at 3 Floyds.

The beer itself... so juicy. So hoppy. So well balanced for a beer this big. Still blown away.

4.19/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into can glass

A: pure amber with perfect clarity a little head

S: very herbal and piney with slight citrus

T: very sweet a little citrusy but more floral and herbal

M: slightly creamy medium body

O: This beer is pretty good it's surprisingly sweet but it's not world class I'd drink it again on tap but at their 22 oz prices meh

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Phenomenal tasting beer worthy of a world class rating!
I got tons of onion and garlic on the aroma.
Tongue abrasive, palate killing taste!
Just a great beer, if you can get yer hands on a bottle DO IT!

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks so much to ErikO60102 for hooking me up with this big want of mine! Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. Bottleneck says 01/14/2015.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- Juicy, tropical fruit aroma brings to mind passionfruit, guava and pineapple.

T- Fruity in the onset with a bitterness that is certainly present yet perfectly restrained. Alcohol is incredibly well-concealed and there's just enough malt backbone to provide complementary sweetness leading to an overall balance that's damn near perfect. After multiple sips, the bitterness starts to slowly creep in but still stays at bay for the most part. Great hop burps.

M- Tangy and bright with medium carbonation and a lightish body. There's also a bit of creaminess upon further inspection.

O- How is this 10.5%? I can't wrap my head around how deliciously smooth this is while also being so high gravity. Astonishing. Just when I thought I've encountered all the wonderful and complex layers of flavor a DIPA has to offer, something like this comes along to show me that there are still a lot of innovations left to be seen in the style.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The strong alcohol content gets lost in the awesome hops that blend piney/earthy flavor and citrus. FFF gets it right with a lot of hop forward beers and Permanent Funeral is my favorite of them all

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: slightly dark amber with some cloudyness. Poured a nice white head and very good lacing
S: Very strong hops with a lot of pine behind it. Slight smell of citrus and malt back. Very good smelling
T: Not my favorite. This is a much more piney and bitter ipa. You get smacked in the face with hops and has a strong biterness. Still tastey and has a delicious after taste. Slight booze
M: 3F beers always have that perfect carbonation but this one has a bit of a stickyness to it.

O: A very bitter and piney Ipa def not my favorite but still a great beer.

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Again big thanks to bstyles for hooking me up with more super fresh bottles!
22 oz bottle, dated 1/14/15, poured into a teku

A- A clear bright golden orange with a two finger white head.

S- Damn this is good, tropical fruits, grapefruit rinds, citrus, hint of mint, pine, and some sweet malts and a touch of alcohol reminding me that this is 10.50% ABV.

T- Slightly boozy and some caramel malts that bring a really nice balance to the huge hop profile, big piney finish, bright citrus, some tropical fruits.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- Another awesome beer from 3 Floyds. Definitely worth seeking out, alcohol is not fully hidden, but it actually works in balancing the beer. Wish I had more!

3.98/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden orange color with a fluffy, chalky white head. 4

Smell is very citrus forward. Lots of orange and grapefruit, some mango. Also a decent amount of bready, maltiness on the nose. 4

Taste follows the nose. Bitter orange peel and grapefruit. HUGE bitterness. Like holy cow this is bitter. Big malt backbone too, but no real sweetness except for a slight candied orange flavor. The finish is malty and bitter (if that makes sense) and lasts quite a while. The ABV (10.5%) is not hidden. 4.25

Mouthfeel is very creamy for a DIPA in my opinion. 4

Overall a good beer, but I will probably stick to other IPAs in the future. Glad I got to try it. 3.75

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - Slightly hazy brilliant orange with a thick white 2 finger head
S - Pungent, with some dank then a massive wave of candied orange peel.
T - Bitter oranges with some malt sweetness to back it up. Bitterness on the finish, but not harsh, it rounds off the sip nicely
F - Good body, with perfect carbonation

Overall I was expecting a lot, and boy it delivered. Will be getting this again if I ever see it for sure.

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright, clear, and vibrant orange. Small white head with little retention.

Oh my what a great smelling beer. Tangerine, oranges, and grapefruit. Pine. Juicy.

Taste follows suit. Backed by sweet caramel, the citrus and pine are fresh and strong. It makes me want to gulp it.

Mouthfeel is full, soft, and clean. Carbivation is perfect. Juicy.

Quite frankly, this is one of the best ipas I've tried and one of three floyds best showings. Boom.

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

Serving: 22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip. Dated 12/19/2014, making this just over 3 weeks old.

A: Pours a nice, bright orange color. Foamy 1-finger white head that sticks around. Has a nice haziness to it. Looks alive in the glass.

S: Huge! Mango, pineapple, papaya, tangerine, peach. This beer explodes right out of the bottle and fills the room instantly.

T: Oh man, wow! Huge tropical fruits up front. Mango, pineapple, peach, tangerine, papaya. Subtle hints of grapefruit zest. A touch of fruit juice sweetness on the back end. The flavor is unbelievably strong and just lights up your taste buds.

M: Here is where this beer sets itself apart from other DIPAs. Near perfect balance of bright tropical hop flavor and just the right balance of malt backbone. The not-too-bitter finish sticks around for just the right amount of time before fading and leaving a clean finish. I hate when big DIPAs get too sticky and resinous and just sit on your tongue. This one is so crisp and clean, and the alcohol is so well-hidden, it almost drinks like an IPA or pale ale, but is still full-bodied and powerful like a DIPA should be. It's kind of like Zombie Dust on steroids.

O: Ever since I first had this over a year ago, it's been my favorite DIPA of all-time. And I've revisited Heady since, I've tried Pliny and had Double Sunshine twice, etc. I've had most of them. But this one just stands apart for me. The aroma is huge and alive, the flavors are so bright and complex, and the mouthfeel and finish are just so perfectly balanced. My only knock would be that it can be a touch too sweet on the back end. Not cloying sweet, but like a ton of fruit juice was poured into your glass sweet. A minor complaint in an otherwise perfect beer. I know this beer has been Top 50 for a while, but I'm shocked that I can just pick it off the shelf with no limits every time they put it out. This beer is world-class and deserves a lot more attention in the DIPA world.

Recommendation: Must-try, hop-head or not.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Rosebrook for this one, bottled 12/19/14.

Loads of mango, mandarin bit of tangerines. Very juicy fruit. Not aggressive at all and super smooth to drink.

Poured from bomber into Teku glass.

A. Golden staw color with nice two inch head. Great clarity, head retention, and lacing.

S. Pineapple, tropical fruits, with an undertone of pine. One of the best aromas I have encountered on a double ipa.

T. Amazing, this beer meets all expectations. Citrus, and Southern Hemisphere hops great tasting beer. It was balanced with a little more hop bitterness than malt, which is what I prefer.

M. Carbonation was nice yet easy and dry on the finish, taste stays on the tongue for a second.

O. Easily one of the best IIPA's I have ever had. There is a reason Three Floyds is known for great beers. Get this beer if you can!

(I was lucky to get a fresh bottle, I don't know how it would change with time.)

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

2014 vintage, very fresh. Poured light and very good head retention. Loved all the flavors, smoothness, and balance with this beer. Another solid offering from FFF

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

A. A beautiful light amber color with a white 2 finger foamy head. Great head retention. Very nice full ring lacing.

S. Very tropical fruit aroma mixed with pine.
Very inviting.

T. Wow. Very nice citrusy and tropical fruit character with a good amount of hoppy bitterness. Bitterness retains for a minute but finished very clean making you want more.

M. Nice light carbonation to start that picks up after the swallow and just hangs around long enough. Perfect for a DIPA.

O. One of the best DIPA's in the world in my books. Excellent balance of sweet to bitter taste. Looks great. Smells better. Feels great in the mouth but still finishes pretty clean. Very well done beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been trying to get this for SO long. Had the likes of Heady, Double Sunshine, King Sue, Abner, etc. Needed this to say I have tried some of the best DIPAs out there.

Appearance is gorgeous. I'd love a little fluffier, more sustained head, but don't we all just want a little more head? ;)

Aroma is ridiculous. Up there with the best. So juicy, resinous and downright tropical. No alcohol or harsh aromas to muddle the wonderful bouquet of this beer.

Flavor doesn't quite follow the aroma, but it is by no means far off. I have a sensitive palate to sweet beers, and this tip toes on the line of being too sweet. However, this bottle IS a month old and while it is still delicious, we all know IPAs get sweeter as the hops diminish with every day since bottling/canning/kegging. THAT BEING SAID...the tropical fruit plays with the sweetness and gives it a literal 'juicy' aspect. After it has sat for about 10 minutes, I get a lot of oranges, making this a literal 'Permanent Mimosa'. Very good. Just wish it was a little more resinous.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with soft carbonation and a long finish. Mouthfeel isn't syrupy or cloying in terms of the sweetness level.

Overall, this is definitely up there in the conversation for top 10 DIPAs out there. Not in my personal top 5, but certainly in my top 10. A real treat and so glad I got to try this badboy!

3.96/5  rDev -11.4%

This was pretty good, but I found it overly sweet, and with some downright weird flavors (that I've gotten in other hoppy FFF beers) that I just don't really love. Decent, but I'd never pick this up with the wealth of other options available.

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Essentially this is like an Imperial version of zombie dust. Seeing that ZD is my fave brew ever, I am crazy about this one. An amazing nose on this one and the taste follows right behind. Truly world class.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

I am not quite as knowledgeable as some but I know what I like. So do my bartenders Joel and Nick at Bigbys Pour House in Addison Illinois. Most times I walk in and a beer just appears. The past two days it has been Permanent Funeral. the beer is served in a small glass due to the 10.5% ABV. This fine brew does not taste like or go down like some of the higher ABV brews. It has a very nice carmel color and the head lingers a while. While it is a Double/Imperial IPA and I would have not chosen this initially believing that it would be strong and all hopped up it was DELICIOUS!! One of my favorites the past two months. Give it try.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a golden amber. Clear. Beige Lacey for me to finger head. Aroma! A mess of hops. Citrus fruits! Complex taste. Lemon. Oranges. Tropical over ripe fruits. High alcohol. Delicious beer.

Quick review here.

Pours with a thin head, grows slightly. Normal for this level of alcohol. Some light lacing fading into legs around the glass. Beautiful hazy gold color, copper out of direct light.

Nose is heavy, heavy fruit, primarily mangoes and a hit of citrus. Reminds me of citra and mosaic, but I don't know if mosaic was even commercially available when this recipe was developed. Maybe not even citra! Anyway, delightful nose, does not belay any alcohol notes.

Sips very bitter up front, but quickly assuaged by the aromatic hopping: hints of pine and resin complement the more dominant fruit. The malt base seems entirely to accentuate the hops: nothing overwhelming, but full enough to even the alcohol and hops.

Overall, a very big beer that's incredibly well made. Perhaps a tad thin, but this is easily the best DIPA I've had in a while.

Was able to drink this bottle when it was only 7 days old.

Pours a rich and dark orange. Looks very much like a DIPA.

The nose is wonderful. So much citrus and pine. Pineapple and grapefruit. Very sweet smelling. Exactly what I look for in the aroma of an ipa.

The taste is absolutely amazing. This tastes like fresh, wet hops. The pure hop flavor shines through in this as much as any DIPA I have ever had (reminds me of Pliny in that way). Tropical fruits are on the tongue just like the nose: grapefruit, mango, sweet hone, etc. There is some pine and dankness as well. The perfect balance for me. As much as I love Dreadnaught, Alpha King, Zombie Dust, Arctic Panzer Wolf, etc., this is the best FFF offering imo. An absolutely stunning beer that you should definitely get your hands on.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.