Permanent Funeral - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Permanent FuneralPermanent Funeral

Wants: 1,087
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-25-2013

The wolf inside this pale ale is trying to walk upright. This bright and aromatic beer was brewed with our friends in the band Pig Destroyer.

Reviews: 279 | Hads: 2,533

Poured from bomber into Teku glass.

A. Golden staw color with nice two inch head. Great clarity, head retention, and lacing.

S. Pineapple, tropical fruits, with an undertone of pine. One of the best aromas I have encountered on a double ipa.

T. Amazing, this beer meets all expectations. Citrus, and Southern Hemisphere hops great tasting beer. It was balanced with a little more hop bitterness than malt, which is what I prefer.

M. Carbonation was nice yet easy and dry on the finish, taste stays on the tongue for a second.

O. Easily one of the best IIPA's I have ever had. There is a reason Three Floyds is known for great beers. Get this beer if you can!

(I was lucky to get a fresh bottle, I don't know how it would change with time.)

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

2014 vintage, very fresh. Poured light and very good head retention. Loved all the flavors, smoothness, and balance with this beer. Another solid offering from FFF

4.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip

A. A beautiful light amber color with a white 2 finger foamy head. Great head retention. Very nice full ring lacing.

S. Very tropical fruit aroma mixed with pine.
Very inviting.

T. Wow. Very nice citrusy and tropical fruit character with a good amount of hoppy bitterness. Bitterness retains for a minute but finished very clean making you want more.

M. Nice light carbonation to start that picks up after the swallow and just hangs around long enough. Perfect for a DIPA.

O. One of the best DIPA's in the world in my books. Excellent balance of sweet to bitter taste. Looks great. Smells better. Feels great in the mouth but still finishes pretty clean. Very well done beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been trying to get this for SO long. Had the likes of Heady, Double Sunshine, King Sue, Abner, etc. Needed this to say I have tried some of the best DIPAs out there.

Appearance is gorgeous. I'd love a little fluffier, more sustained head, but don't we all just want a little more head? ;)

Aroma is ridiculous. Up there with the best. So juicy, resinous and downright tropical. No alcohol or harsh aromas to muddle the wonderful bouquet of this beer.

Flavor doesn't quite follow the aroma, but it is by no means far off. I have a sensitive palate to sweet beers, and this tip toes on the line of being too sweet. However, this bottle IS a month old and while it is still delicious, we all know IPAs get sweeter as the hops diminish with every day since bottling/canning/kegging. THAT BEING SAID...the tropical fruit plays with the sweetness and gives it a literal 'juicy' aspect. After it has sat for about 10 minutes, I get a lot of oranges, making this a literal 'Permanent Mimosa'. Very good. Just wish it was a little more resinous.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with soft carbonation and a long finish. Mouthfeel isn't syrupy or cloying in terms of the sweetness level.

Overall, this is definitely up there in the conversation for top 10 DIPAs out there. Not in my personal top 5, but certainly in my top 10. A real treat and so glad I got to try this badboy!

3.96/5  rDev -11.2%

This was pretty good, but I found it overly sweet, and with some downright weird flavors (that I've gotten in other hoppy FFF beers) that I just don't really love. Decent, but I'd never pick this up with the wealth of other options available.

4.91/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Essentially this is like an Imperial version of zombie dust. Seeing that ZD is my fave brew ever, I am crazy about this one. An amazing nose on this one and the taste follows right behind. Truly world class.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

I am not quite as knowledgeable as some but I know what I like. So do my bartenders Joel and Nick at Bigbys Pour House in Addison Illinois. Most times I walk in and a beer just appears. The past two days it has been Permanent Funeral. the beer is served in a small glass due to the 10.5% ABV. This fine brew does not taste like or go down like some of the higher ABV brews. It has a very nice carmel color and the head lingers a while. While it is a Double/Imperial IPA and I would have not chosen this initially believing that it would be strong and all hopped up it was DELICIOUS!! One of my favorites the past two months. Give it try.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a golden amber. Clear. Beige Lacey for me to finger head. Aroma! A mess of hops. Citrus fruits! Complex taste. Lemon. Oranges. Tropical over ripe fruits. High alcohol. Delicious beer.

Quick review here.

Pours with a thin head, grows slightly. Normal for this level of alcohol. Some light lacing fading into legs around the glass. Beautiful hazy gold color, copper out of direct light.

Nose is heavy, heavy fruit, primarily mangoes and a hit of citrus. Reminds me of citra and mosaic, but I don't know if mosaic was even commercially available when this recipe was developed. Maybe not even citra! Anyway, delightful nose, does not belay any alcohol notes.

Sips very bitter up front, but quickly assuaged by the aromatic hopping: hints of pine and resin complement the more dominant fruit. The malt base seems entirely to accentuate the hops: nothing overwhelming, but full enough to even the alcohol and hops.

Overall, a very big beer that's incredibly well made. Perhaps a tad thin, but this is easily the best DIPA I've had in a while.

Was able to drink this bottle when it was only 7 days old.

Pours a rich and dark orange. Looks very much like a DIPA.

The nose is wonderful. So much citrus and pine. Pineapple and grapefruit. Very sweet smelling. Exactly what I look for in the aroma of an ipa.

The taste is absolutely amazing. This tastes like fresh, wet hops. The pure hop flavor shines through in this as much as any DIPA I have ever had (reminds me of Pliny in that way). Tropical fruits are on the tongue just like the nose: grapefruit, mango, sweet hone, etc. There is some pine and dankness as well. The perfect balance for me. As much as I love Dreadnaught, Alpha King, Zombie Dust, Arctic Panzer Wolf, etc., this is the best FFF offering imo. An absolutely stunning beer that you should definitely get your hands on.

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Holy Grale in Louisville

Pours rich copper/amber color with a frothy 2 finger head that SLOWLY retreats to a nice film. Mega laces. The nose starts with grapefruit and pineapple, minor hints of vanilla, barley, and some booze. The taste follows the nose with a huge citrus profile. The taste does not go to the pine/resin end of the hop profile. Very smooth, full body and high carbonation. A little creamy and silky feel.

Damn this is near perfect. A fairly light malt backbone rides a huge citrus smell AND taste. A wonderful crafted ale. Very strong across all metrics.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a bomber into snifter.

A- Pours a slightly cloudy orange with a light golden hue. Nice finger of white frothy head. Plenty of carbonation and lacing present.

S- Lots of fruity hops up front on the nose. Orange peel, tangerine, peach and mango present. A decent amount grain is also detectable as well as a hint of cut grass. Alcohol is also there a smidge.

T- As the smell indicates, lots of tropical fruit goodness in every creamy mouthful. This is followed with a little bitterness from the hops. I got a little cracker, bread, or biscuit taste foloowed by pine. Strong tasting, but refreshing at the same time.

M- Medium bodied overall, but definitely on the fuller side of the DIPA spectrum. Very smooth and almost a little creamy, but the carbonation perfectly balances that out. Has a slight dryness on the aftertaste.

O- One of the better DIPAs out there. I enjoy and appreciate a lot of what FFF delivers and this was no letdown. I thoroughly enjoy Zombie Dust and this would be comparable to Zombie Dust on steroids. Very bold and packs a punch, which is what is expected. My only complaint is the same I always have with FFF, I wish it was more easily obtainable. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Look: Transparent golden with a finger white head and minimal legs. Mild carbonation. Smell: Big citrus hops on the nose with hints of peach, apricot, pineapple, green apple, and slight honey malt. Smells Fantastic!

Taste: Huge bright citrus hops with apricot, peach, pineapple, pine needles, and pineapple upside down cake with a balancing honey sweet malt! Awesome.

Mouthfeel: One big resiny IPA. Thick and chewy on the palate. It leaves your palate like hop scorched earth!

Overall: One big double IPA ! Love all the citrus hop notes and how it leaves your palate absolutely destroyed with hops.this is not for the faint of heart

4.49/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

yup, its real, a double pale ale as they call it, and maybe the best beer i have had from the acclaimed three floyds. this stuff is magic, rich in grain base without ever being sweet. almost has the base of an esb, a huge one, but its in that range. the point here though is the hops, and its really hoppy. in the smell i am thinking simcoe, its so bitter smelling, green and leafy and crystalline, like the sticky dankest bud, where the fingers get all stuck like super glue. the nose is the hop equivalent of trimming blue dream plants, no joke. the flavor is less of that, more refined aggression if you will. the hops are woody here, more centennial like fundamentally, but so overdosed as to not be recognizable as their normal selves. the malt does in fact provide a cool balance to all the hops, which was unsuspected. it almost seems light for a second in the middle there, where the hops are more fruity than anything and the grain is at its fullest, but the bitterness returns to thrash the palate in the finish, its really intensely flavored stuff, but well put together. i have gone back and forth on whether or not the hype around this brewery is fairly founded, and this may have tipped me into thinking it is. really unique and enormous beer.

4.49/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Thanks, Shannon.

A: Bright orange, opaque. A white one-finger head that dissipates fast. Thick lacing.

S: Grapefruit and piney hops lead the way.

T: Oh, man. Apricots come out of nowhere, followed by mangoes and a tangerine finish. Smooth, sweet, decadent. Can't feel the alcohol. Such a killer brew.

M: Medium with medium to heavy carbonation.

O: One of those divine beers that must be consumed to be believed. Please bury me with a case of Permanent Funeral. This is heaven.

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer is so smooth for 100 IBU year beer and 10.5 ABV. I didn't research this before I drank it. I simply poured my glass full and started enjoying it. I thought it was rather smooth with a slight bit of heat to it that I knew was a higher ABV. I drank the bomber in a little less than an hour.

It smelled great. Malt presence was strong, but not overpowering like a lot of big IPA's. I really get disappointed when an ipa tastes like a malt bomb. I would drink this again...and again...and again. This beer is in my top 20 ever had.

4.69/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle in trade from Joe. Thanks buddy! Been wanting to try this one for a while now. Bottle dated 8/20/14 poured 9/11/14. Pours very slightly hazy golden orange colored with a huge creamy and fluffy white head. Aroma is big time juicy citrus hops, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, grass, sweet malt and very reminiscent of Dreadnaught (though it's been a while since I had that one). Flavor is big on the dry pine bitterness with sweet mango and grapefruits, some sweet malt backing but this is much lighter than expected. Lingering dry bitterness on the tongue. This seems to bridge the gap of the super bitter and the sweet tropical malty DIPA extremes and comes off very nicely. Medium plus bodied, very resinous, dry finish, with medium carbonation. This is excellent.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Part of a beer share. This brew followed La Cumbre's Full Nelson DIPA.

A- Cloudy orange body, frothy, creamy head, healthy carbonation. 4.3

S- Fruity, citrusy, vanilla, resin. 4.1

T- Fresh orange juice, some bitter grapefruit. Malty, granola- like finish. 4.2

M- Bitter throughout with a thick creamy mouthfeel and a tad of booze. The bitterness bites. 4

Bitter OJ basically. But tasty. 4.2

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Had on draft at La Margarita in Indianapolis. Excellent beer would have given it 5 if it wasn't for the alcohol coming through a little bit. This is my 2nd favorite beer from Three Floyds behind Zombie Dust

4.84/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this from both bottle and draft, but I just had the bottle last night so I'll base things on that.

A: Poured into a tulip. Beer poured a slightly hazy beautiful orange color. It had a nice fingers worth of slightly off white head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Left nice sticky lacing down the sides of the glass as I drank.

S: Huge aroma from the Citra hops. Lots of tropical fruit like pineapple and mango. Not much in the way of malt in the smell.

T: The taste follows the aroma. TONS of Citra hop flavor. Nice pineapple and mango flavors with some citrus in there too. There was a nice underlying malt sweetness that I enjoyed. NOt much alcohol heat despite the high ABV

M: Medium bodied. Its not too dry which is nice, it lends that nice underlying sweetness to the beer without them adding a bunch of specialty malts that would muddle the hops.

O: This beer and Dreadnaught are two of my absolute favorite DIPA's, though Arctic Panzer Wolf is right up there too. I love the way this beer delivers that huge blast of hop flavor, but has a nice malt body too. Great beer, and one of my absolute favorites.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Review taken from notes mid May 2014. Bottle was given to me from my friend Matt who attended Dark Lord Day 2014 where he got it from. So it was very fresh.

1 pint, 6 oz brown bomber bottle in typical FFF style and shape. A ridiculously metal looking label with the head of a slain werewolf(swords still lodged into its skull). Then again, maybe this is how this beast looks when it kicks down a persons door to do its nightly business. Either way, its a pretty intense looking wolf. Poured into a nonic style pint glass.

A -Pour was of a golden orange with a ton of funk floating about. I'm talking big particles and that only means a grand stand of flavor and aromas. Big off white head settles fluffy and never goes away leaving phenomenal stick to the walls of my nonic glass.

S - big fruit forward aroma to start. Sweet tangerine and pineapple with hints of soft mango really grab the nose. Biscuity malt balance the aroma nicely giving off a sweet honey character toward the back end. A touch of alcohol spice is noticeable as this warms.

T - much the same as the nose. Big time tangerine, pineapple, sweet grapefruit, and a big splash of mango with apricot working in the backbone. The biscuity bread like malt does well balancing some pretty big sweetness going on. It's just a massive candied fruit bomb with the hops doing most of the work. Not bitter hops but luscious sweet fruity hops with a solid biscuit malt backbone. Some alcohol Booziness does creep up as it warms but only adds to its brilliance.

M - full bodied and thick as you'll find. This is straight up FFF at its best and adds yet another gem to its already stacked ipa/double ipa lineup. Coats the mouth almost shockingly well and leaves you thirsting that next sip of sweet goodies. Just a treat to drink.

O - Permanent Funeral is a grand offering from Three Floyds. It's definitely one worthy of grabbing a place in their year round or seasonal bottlings. Just when you think these guys can't add anymore brilliance in terms of a big ipa they slap everyone In the mouth and create an all out jewel of a brew like this. It's def my 2nd favorite brew from them behind only the infamous dreadnaught, but both offer different qualities and that's great to see. No doubt Permanent Funeral will go down as an all time great for years to come.

3.95/5  rDev -11.4%

Draft at Mikkeller
Hard to see through orange body. White sticky head.
Sweet caramel malt laden citrus/tropical fruity aroma.
Quite malty but I assume it is pretty fresh even halfway across the globe. It does pack quite a punch of hops though.
Smooth and creamy and supremely bitter.

I love 3-F's but I had never heard of this but I figures why not but at $15 for a pale ale I thought it was a gamble. Turns out I hit the full on beer jackpot!

A - Beautiful vibrant orange color. Brightly opaque capturing all of the light in it's brilliantly dry hopped body with a perfect fine white head and moderate lacing.

S - Extremely strong hop fragrance with tons of tropical fruit that you would ever want all packed into one glass. Mostly a papaya, pineapple, and mango mixture that I can barely describe the awesomeness. Could smell it as I opened the bottle. Like a grownups candy it makes your mouth water. Definitely the best smelling beer ever!

T - Beastly hop flavor with a full fruit bouquet hop character with tons of tropical fruit, citrus, some pine, and dank resin hops to round yield one of the greatest beers ever made. If you like tropical flavored hops by the bucket full this is a great beer. There is some malt and the slightest amount of alcohol but it's all masked by the hop explosion on your taste buds. The bitterness seems perfect without detracting from the amazing hop flavor. This is clearly a Citra lovers wet dream. I would alike it to Zombie Dust that has been infused with gamma rays and turned into a Zombie Hulk!

M - The perfect medium mouth-feel with perfect carbonation. Basically only the hops sit on the tongue but some how it isn't too much and I never wanted to stop drinking it.

Overall, probably the best beer I've ever had. Amazing aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. This brew is absolutely perfect for every hop head out there that loves tropical flavored hops. This beer went down fast and I wish I could have it's grace in my presence again. Super rare but I would shell out big $$ to get this again, any day.

Glass- Tulip

4.54/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

As you might guess from the specs this is a very big body IPA. It is definitely typical of 3 Floyd's having the same hop and yeast characteristics, just more in this case.

color - darker gold/ orange

Smell - great hops across the spectrum - Citrus, pine, dank, floral

Taste - Big body, but balanced by the great hops. some maltiness and also grapefruit and citrus that almost make for a crisp finish, but not quite.

mouthfeel - creamy and a little sticky

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

1799th Review on BA
Bottle to 3F Teku
22 oz

Thanks to KevanB for this one.

App- Out of the bottle, this is a blend of dark orange with a little golden yellow towards the base. A bigger 1-1/2 in head that was a wee bit frothy forms and then leaves more of a soap bubble film along the side of the glass. A bit of a ring forms and stays for quite a while.

Smell- Its a battle on the nose. I think this one is starting to slide a little but its got a good sweet fruited nose with a little bit of rind and skin tropical must. A bit more mango and guava and balanced by a candy coated sweetness. The malts are fighting to come through and battle with the hops to take over.

Taste- Its a bit more caramel than I wouldve thought. I like the balance on this one between sticky candy hops and a sweet malt backbone with a bit of grassy herbal flavor and more of a tropical fruit note. Its not overtly one way or another, just a good big beer. A sipper for sure. Im halfway done and its creeping on me. For some reason as it warms I am getting a small raisin flavor.

Mouth- A very big and solid medium body on this one. Even bordering on a bit thick. The carbonation level is a bit frothy and riddled with caramel. The residual feel is more of a candy like caramel. Dissipates quickly and leaves more sweetness and hop oil around.

Drink- Well Kevan has struck again and landed a long time want for me. Its always good to have some friends in the midwest. I enjoyed this beer and was pretty damn good. A bigger DIPA for sure.

Permanent Funeral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.