Tiberian Inquisitor - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Tiberian InquisitorTiberian Inquisitor

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 04-16-2013

Want to have your most hidden secrets torn from the dark recesses of your soul? Tiberian Inquisitor will do just that. This Belgian-style ale aged for one year in French oak is a beer to be reckoned with.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Appearance: Gorgeous Carmine/Auburn body with an Isabelline/Beige head.

Aroma: Caramel and toffee with hints of sweet berries and a strong cognac/bermet-esque backbone.

Flavor: Sour grapes and toasted wood siphoned through an old, rusty pipe that was lacquered with moonshine on the inside; notes of dark fruit and deep wood with a high-alcohol finish. Aftertaste settles into what I can best describe as 'rusty wine'.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, yet with a substantial amount of carbonation.

Overall: While this may not be one of Three Floyds' most popular beers, I absolutely love it, and I can say with unwavering certainty that hands-down, this is my favorite from 3F. Above, I have described it in terms which would make the average person (beer connoisseur or not) avoid this beer entirely, but these descriptions are what I love about this beer: dark, woodsy, and fruity with an overwhelming alcohol finish which makes it acrid to the point of thinking that this came from a ruined batch...and yet, I want more. In short, I love it and would recommend that everyone try this if possible.

4.29/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip at 3floyds.

Smell of oak with a lot of caramel apple.

Darker ruby red in color with a light head that holds up.

Tastes of oak with a lot of apple and chardonnay. I see many people in the site giving it poor reviews but in my opinion, the beer tastes fantastic. It's so different that it's addicting. I expected a lot of oak and got it. Overall I've been to the brewpub 6 times and made sure to get it every time. Its so addicting. And delicious.

4.16/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served on draft at Three Floyd's on 5/4/2013

A: Served in a tulip glass. A slightly murky copper color with a finger and a half white fluffy head. The head receeds fairly quickly leaving a white rim with a little lacing.

S: It literally smells like a caramel apple. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled. Loads and loads of apple and caramel aromas. Really interesting!!

T: The taste follows the smell very closely. I get tons of apple skin, dry oak barrel, a little vanilla, and lots of caramel on the finish. I can tell the wine barrels definitely dryed the beer out, but the sweet caramel kicks in on the back-end. For a 9.5% beer, I don't get any detectable alcohol. Again, very interesting and very unique.

M: A fairly standard Belgian mouthfeel, although it is definitely dry.

O: I don't see where all the hate comes from honestly. I told the server I'd try it out of "morbid curiosity" because I had heard so many bad reviews. But I was definitely pleasantly surprised. It is unlike anything I've ever had before, and I'm very happy I tried it. I can't stress it enough - it smells and tastes just like a caramel apple.

4.11/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had this on tap and from a bottle.

I swear i smell strong apple cider, but tastes nothing like apples. Very oak forward taste slightly alcoholic but good. I can understand why people criticize this one, the aroma is nothing like the taste and it just seems to tingle your taste buds, but something about it kept drawing me in! I still have a couple of bottles, I cant wait to try it with a little more age on it.

4.07/5  rDev +27.6%

After hearing all of the negative reviews for this beer, I almost felt like I needed to write a review and defend it a little bit.

A - Pours a bronze color with very little head. It appears thick and syrupy as it pours into the glass too. Not a whole lot to look at...

S - Bread, caramel, and lots of oak

T - You're going to have to really like the taste of oak (in my opinion) to like this beer. The first thing that hits you is a ton of that oaky barrel flavor. There's also quite a bit of heat from the alcohol present. There's also a sweet flavor there that reminds me of caramel.

M - Thick and chewy

O - Was this beer worth the $20 price tag? Honestly, I was glad that I tried it once. It wasn't the most balanced beer I've ever had, but I really enjoyed the heavy oak flavor and I can't say that I've had another beer like this.

4.06/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle opened 11/12/14
I usually don't do reviews, honestly this is my first for this site but I feel like this beer deserves a higher rating than what it has. When this beer was fresh it was oaky as all hell which is why I think most people did not care for it. A little over a year and a half later and this beer has taken a turn for the better, glad I put a few bottles down. The smell is still caramel apples and the taste follows suite but it has this almost tart taste/smell that has developed that actually works well.

4.02/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now that's new...

Let's get the appearance part of this review out of the way: Dark gold, nearly bronze with strong haze. Firm ivory foam retains well and laces intricately on the glass- blah, blah, blah. Glad that's done, now...

Brandy, wine, port, and bourbon strike the nose with a seriously unexpected scent of vinous-soaked wood, wood spice, and savory, almost-meaty aromas. Cider, cedar and saw dust wrap around mild balsamic notes for a crazy melange of tart, mature, and distinct booze scents. Never experienced an aroma like this before- kinda nervous about the first sip...

Red wine, white wine and rose wine all inherit the taste buds. Even more so than beer- the taste is deeply vinous and ripe with concentrated port, sherry, maple and vermouth. Savory, salty and sweet, there's something of mesquite, fragrant wood, leather, and fresh-cut tobacco that throws a lot of intangible taste at the mouth. Peppery with wood spice, dry cider, sandalwood, and acetone- the flavors seem endless but the taste is effortless on the palate- Its an incredibly eccentric ale that stops just shy of souring.

Surprisingly light on the palate, the short-lived sweetness turns to tart vinous action in a hurry. Powdery, spicy and warm to finish- its easy to use more of the wine lexicon to describe this beer that that of actual beer. Strong wood tannin and mild astringency are more associated with oak-aged white wines than that of beer.

Its incredible flavor profile has gone away from the Belgian Pale Ale that's buried underneath and toward the long-lived barrel. I absolutely love the mature "aged" flavors of this ale but the barrel seems a bit much- at times I wonder, "where's the beer". Could they write an '80's style commercial about this? ...but the beer is kinda all-over-the-map. Gotta argue that when everything stands out, then nothing stands out.

4.02/5  rDev +26%

I must say, adding age to this once barely mediocre beer, Tiberian Inquisitor; it is now quite good!! If you have one in the cellar, it is time (well, from where it once came from lol) Mild oak, mild oak, & more mild oak. Notes of toasted oats, some citrusy fruits and caramel now shine through and fit this brew great.

When I last had this brew I could not get past the mess of strong oak tones roughly a year ago. Now, the very strong oak tones that once were, have slowly become very subtle and no longer over power this brew. This is NOW a very enjoyable brew.

3.86/5  rDev +21%

Thin lace of foam up top and appears just as advertised - belgian aged in chardonnay. You can see a tint to the belgian.
The smell varied throughout - at points I thought - oh no, nail polish, but then other times it seemed just heavy on the chardonnay smell. A mixed bag, for sure, on smell.
Really enjoyed the taste. I hesitated, based on (at times) the smell, but I just enjoyed it more and more. Incomparable to anything else I've had, but damn good and damn enjoyable.

3.84/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured about 4oz out of a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - The color is a murky brown that neither looks inviting nor repulsing. Carbonation is average with a half inch of head.

S - The first thing that hit me was a woody smell follow by apple cider and then a faint hint of alcohol. I actually enjoyed the smell and was hoping the flavor would be as complex.

T - There are all sorts of things going on in the background, but again, I got major apple cider flavors. In fact, if I was blind folded, I might have thought this was some kind of hard cider. The chardonnay barreling was quite noticeable, and when I didn't think I was drinking cider, I thought I was drinking wine. Unlike other reviewers, I thought the alcohol was actually masked very well.

M - There was nothing spectacular about the feel. It was quite smooth for me, but it probably could have used a bit more carbonation.

O - After reading all of the reviews on this beer, I was prepping for the worst. Maybe these low expectations actually made the beer enjoyable to me. I split it with 4 people, but I could easily have had all 22oz to myself. I wouldn't seek it out again, but it's definitely worth trying.

3.74/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chardonay nodes in beer always throw me off. I split this with a couple of fairly knowledgable beer dudes they swore up and down they tasted brett. Nope, I kept saying, that's just weirdly sour funky wine nodes, we just *want* to think that it's brett because then we don't have to be scared about what we're drinking.

Anyhow, it's a big messy bag of all sorts of nodes. Much more good than bad, but still some weird chemical wisps sneak their way in there, giving the drinker pause (the off nodes are much more present in the aroma than in the flavor). Mostly it's like a soured-up Belgian blonde with uncharacteristically fiery alcohol nodes. Neat, well worth trying, but nothing I feel the need to revisit.

3.69/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Is this meant to age? Waxed BPA?

A - Pours golden amber in color with an off white head. Everything seems normal.

S - Fruity sweetness with a dry wine character. Sour apple? Candied apple?

T - A little tart to start off that transforms into caramel and oak with a white grape finish.

M - Light bodied and high carbonation. Really lets you swish the flavors around to taste them.

O - Not one I'd want to seek out again, but it holds up to other sour/tart beers, IMO. Being 3F, people must have been expecting a hop bomb or something. I enjoyed it.

3.64/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I bought the beer first, then read the reviews and got scared. I thought this was going to be Bully Guppy all over again. It does remind me of that on the nose a little but not nearly the acetone scent from the Guppy. Fortunately, most of the reviewers were harsh. Definitely something odd and off about the beer, but much better than expected.

One review likened the smell to Carmel apples and I can see that. It has a sweet/fruity scent mixed with Chardonnay. Personally I kind of like it.

The taste is nowhere near what you'd expect from a pale ale. There is no hop feel or bitterness in is beer. It has a sour funky Belgian thing going on, but again not in a bad way.

Personally, I'm glad I bought a bomber and was able to try it. I would suggest aging something like this in a different type of barrel next time. But it was an interesting experience.

3.55/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a nice clean amber pour with a finger of white head which dissipated quickly. smells of belgian yeast, slight sourness to it, vanilla, caramel. a flavor profile mainly based off of vanilla and raisins, some charred notes giving a slight cocoa taste, caramel.. this is basically just a sweet treat! the more it warms up the more the charred flavor comes up, making this a very fun drinking experience. medium in body with moderate carbonation.. a sweet finish.

this isn't really a mindblowing beer or anything, compared to some of the other FFF beers i've had, but it is a decent BA beer.. not too strong on the barrel flavors, nice and sweet, with a high abv to get the job done!

3.42/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks Chris for sharing! Served in a small snifter glass.

Sanguine dark reddish amber color, a thin layer of parchment tinged foam on the surface. Okay clarity, looking straight down the meniscus of the glass is visible. Surface skim parts quickly, minimal spotty lace when swirled.

Fusel aroma at first, after awhile it becomes very sweet with a fig and plum character.

Tastes very sweet like a mead, honey, figs, plums, dessert wine. Booze is overt, there's a little bit of tartness that seems appropriate with the fruit character. Very potent in small doses... A little harsh and boozy. Seemed to improve slightly after sitting out for 15 minutes, allowing the fusels to dissipate. Glad this was shared a few ways.

3.31/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle, poured into a snifter

A - Pours a cloudy dark amber with a slight head that subsides into a lacy halo. Glows copper against the light.

S - Boozy waft, like a bourbon-aged ale. Maple, caramel, tofee, with an edge of pineapple. There's also a spicy overtone, like cinnamon and white pepper. A bit of apple.

T - Tangy and woody, with the sweet smokiness of a Belgian Pale Ale chased with a shot of whiskey. The sweet booziness is calmer than something like Doom, and the passion fruit and caramel is more pronounced. Still, the taste is sort of inconsistent, wavering between watered down fruit and sugar/spice.

M - Medium light, pretty insubstantial.

O - Not awful, as many have attested. I'd not turn this away, but it's definitely the weakest 3 Floyds offering I've had. There's an occasional wiffs of wood-backed BPA assurance, but they are fleeting. Don't feel too bad if you miss this one.

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
Twitter: @TheCuriograph

3.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour with malt, grain, yeast, and spice aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour brown sugar and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer with a slight sourness that is somewhat odd.

3.28/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle received in trade from MeadMe, thanks for the opportunity. Shared with BFD at The Mohers house. Hazy medium gold with a smallish quickly dissipating head. Smells of leather oak vanilla caramel and a bit of funk. The flavor follows the aroma. Not what I expected and a bit out there with flavors. It grew on me as I sampled it, but its not really my cup of tea.

3.27/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown with a thin white head. Looks appropriate for chalice drinking.

Smells like a sour ale, and then a yeasty sweet smells lingers in your nostrils.

It does start like a sour ale, and then it goes almost to a mixture of dates and thick maple sweetness.

Carbonation is low, and the sweetness really coats your mouth heavy.

Not to say I would seek this beer again, but I am surprised at the hate levied towards this beer. It is worth a try, especially if your okay with sours.

3.24/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a dark burnt orange color.

S: Very boozy. Almost like a quad. Pick up a light hint of oak.

T: Better than expected flavor. The booze is hidden very well. Very dry. Not one of their better beers, but definitely a beer worth a taste in a sniffer glass.

M: Very light carbonation. Almost feels like a Goose Island Matilda.

O: Not a bad beer. If it happened to be brewed again and was on tap I would drink it again, but wouldn't actively seek it out. I think it is a bit better than overall rating it has now.

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22 oz. orange waxed bottle into a Three Floyds Brewing Company branded teku glass

Pours a hazy dark golden with heavy amber accents topped by a two finger off white head. Great retention, significant lacing. Oak and hints of wine on the nose. Plenty of oak, white wine, apple and pear, and Belgian yeast "juicy fruit." Finishes with oak and white wine accented booziness and a very mild tartness. Low carbonation, slick body. Lighter side of medium bodied. This brew certainly has improved with age. The barrel character was far too strong and dominating upon release last year, however it is much more balanced currently. Still not a stellar brew, but much more enjoyable with a little bit of age.

3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Starts innocuously enough. A dark, brownish gold color. Pleasant looking off-white head, thick but fades quickly. An inviting appearance.

Things start to get iffy on the nose. Slightly rotten caramel apples, a bit of the dreaded acetone of which I heard tell. The chardonnay comes through and is not altogether unpleasant.

The taste is a bit of a problem. A bitterness like cheap wine, and a bit of acetone in the aftertaste. Unique, not terrible, definitely not FFF caliber.

It feels alright on the tongue. A little bit of warmth, a light tingle of effervescence, a little drying overall.

Honestly, with everything I heard, I expected much much worse. However with a twenty dollar price tag and the tie-in to my first DLD experience, I really wanted to like this beer. Oh well. They experimented, which I valued, but the result is lackluster.

2.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Bomber into a Ranger IPA pint glass. Wow booze, apples, grapes, caramel.

This shit intense. The booziness is very powerful. Seems more like a 12% cider.

Glad I tried this one, but I'm one and done. I love Three Floyds but this will knock you on your arse.

2.93/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This poured out as a golden colored brew with a good sized white head on top. The lacing and retention of this beer were good. The smell of this reminded me of a Sharpie Magic Marker. It smelled acidic and wooden, very pungent on the nose. The taste was also pretty harsh with the French oak and souring agents in there... I can't say I want to ever have this one again. The mouthfeel is pretty basic, nice carbonation that's about all. Overall it's not a great beer at all. This one took me a while to drink because of the flavors it had. It was fun to try At aleast

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

A - Pours an opaque amber orange color with an off white and generously sticky lacing ring.

S - Tons of green apples, cider, white grapes, tart apple, green.

T - Lots of green apple, fusel alcohol, cider, mead, Chardonnay, and some oak.

M - Heavy light body with some puckering tartness.

O - As much as I love FFF's, it 's big, but avoid this beer. (Sorry to say.)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Tiberian Inquisitor from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.