Tiberian Inquisitor - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Tiberian InquisitorTiberian Inquisitor

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

Want to have your most hidden secrets torn from the dark recesses of your soul? Tiberian Inquisitor will do just that. This Belgian-style ale aged for one year in French oak is a beer to be reckoned with.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 04-16-2013)

showie773, May 28, 2013

Appearance: Gorgeous Carmine/Auburn body with an Isabelline/Beige head.

Aroma: Caramel and toffee with hints of sweet berries and a strong cognac/bermet-esque backbone.

Flavor: Sour grapes and toasted wood siphoned through an old, rusty pipe that was lacquered with moonshine on the inside; notes of dark fruit and deep wood with a high-alcohol finish. Aftertaste settles into what I can best describe as 'rusty wine'.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, yet with a substantial amount of carbonation.

Overall: While this may not be one of Three Floyds' most popular beers, I absolutely love it, and I can say with unwavering certainty that hands-down, this is my favorite from 3F. Above, I have described it in terms which would make the average person (beer connoisseur or not) avoid this beer entirely, but these descriptions are what I love about this beer: dark, woodsy, and fruity with an overwhelming alcohol finish which makes it acrid to the point of thinking that this came from a ruined batch...and yet, I want more. In short, I love it and would recommend that everyone try this if possible.

MV_CHI-NS, Mar 09, 2014

mvdillman, Apr 17, 2013

rcdt76, May 17, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip at 3floyds.

Smell of oak with a lot of caramel apple.

Darker ruby red in color with a light head that holds up.

Tastes of oak with a lot of apple and chardonnay. I see many people in the site giving it poor reviews but in my opinion, the beer tastes fantastic. It's so different that it's addicting. I expected a lot of oak and got it. Overall I've been to the brewpub 6 times and made sure to get it every time. Its so addicting. And delicious.

Pidzik12, Jun 09, 2013

Thishops4u, May 09, 2014

threedaggers, Jan 13, 2014

Slopes44, Jun 21, 2014

Dogoatus, Apr 29, 2014

tsauce2, Oct 19, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served on draft at Three Floyd's on 5/4/2013

A: Served in a tulip glass. A slightly murky copper color with a finger and a half white fluffy head. The head receeds fairly quickly leaving a white rim with a little lacing.

S: It literally smells like a caramel apple. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled. Loads and loads of apple and caramel aromas. Really interesting!!

T: The taste follows the smell very closely. I get tons of apple skin, dry oak barrel, a little vanilla, and lots of caramel on the finish. I can tell the wine barrels definitely dryed the beer out, but the sweet caramel kicks in on the back-end. For a 9.5% beer, I don't get any detectable alcohol. Again, very interesting and very unique.

M: A fairly standard Belgian mouthfeel, although it is definitely dry.

O: I don't see where all the hate comes from honestly. I told the server I'd try it out of "morbid curiosity" because I had heard so many bad reviews. But I was definitely pleasantly surprised. It is unlike anything I've ever had before, and I'm very happy I tried it. I can't stress it enough - it smells and tastes just like a caramel apple.

pmoney, May 07, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had this on tap and from a bottle.

I swear i smell strong apple cider, but tastes nothing like apples. Very oak forward taste slightly alcoholic but good. I can understand why people criticize this one, the aroma is nothing like the taste and it just seems to tingle your taste buds, but something about it kept drawing me in! I still have a couple of bottles, I cant wait to try it with a little more age on it.

Chibeerguy1, Aug 14, 2013
4.09/5  rDev +30.3%

After hearing all of the negative reviews for this beer, I almost felt like I needed to write a review and defend it a little bit.

A - Pours a bronze color with very little head. It appears thick and syrupy as it pours into the glass too. Not a whole lot to look at...

S - Bread, caramel, and lots of oak

T - You're going to have to really like the taste of oak (in my opinion) to like this beer. The first thing that hits you is a ton of that oaky barrel flavor. There's also quite a bit of heat from the alcohol present. There's also a sweet flavor there that reminds me of caramel.

M - Thick and chewy

O - Was this beer worth the $20 price tag? Honestly, I was glad that I tried it once. It wasn't the most balanced beer I've ever had, but I really enjoyed the heavy oak flavor and I can't say that I've had another beer like this.

cnbrown313, Sep 04, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle opened 11/12/14
I usually don't do reviews, honestly this is my first for this site but I feel like this beer deserves a higher rating than what it has. When this beer was fresh it was oaky as all hell which is why I think most people did not care for it. A little over a year and a half later and this beer has taken a turn for the better, glad I put a few bottles down. The smell is still caramel apples and the taste follows suite but it has this almost tart taste/smell that has developed that actually works well.

Immutable_Dusk, Nov 13, 2014
4.01/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now that's new...

Let's get the appearance part of this review out of the way: Dark gold, nearly bronze with strong haze. Firm ivory foam retains well and laces intricately on the glass- blah, blah, blah. Glad that's done, now...

Brandy, wine, port, and bourbon strike the nose with a seriously unexpected scent of vinous-soaked wood, wood spice, and savory, almost-meaty aromas. Cider, cedar and saw dust wrap around mild balsamic notes for a crazy melange of tart, mature, and distinct booze scents. Never experienced an aroma like this before- kinda nervous about the first sip...

Red wine, white wine and rose wine all inherit the taste buds. Even more so than beer- the taste is deeply vinous and ripe with concentrated port, sherry, maple and vermouth. Savory, salty and sweet, there's something of mesquite, fragrant wood, leather, and fresh-cut tobacco that throws a lot of intangible taste at the mouth. Peppery with wood spice, dry cider, sandalwood, and acetone- the flavors seem endless but the taste is effortless on the palate- Its an incredibly eccentric ale that stops just shy of souring.

Surprisingly light on the palate, the short-lived sweetness turns to tart vinous action in a hurry. Powdery, spicy and warm to finish- its easy to use more of the wine lexicon to describe this beer that that of actual beer. Strong wood tannin and mild astringency are more associated with oak-aged white wines than that of beer.

Its incredible flavor profile has gone away from the Belgian Pale Ale that's buried underneath and toward the long-lived barrel. I absolutely love the mature "aged" flavors of this ale but the barrel seems a bit much- at times I wonder, "where's the beer". Could they write an '80's style commercial about this? ...but the beer is kinda all-over-the-map. Gotta argue that when everything stands out, then nothing stands out.

BEERchitect, Jun 20, 2013
4.01/5  rDev +27.7%

NEW REVIEW!

I must say, adding age to this once barely mediocre beer, Tiberian Inquisitor; it is now quite good!! If you have one in the cellar, it is time (well, from where it once came from lol) Mild oak, mild oak, & more mild oak. Notes of toasted oats, some citrusy fruits and caramel now shine through and fit this brew great.

When I last had this brew I could not get past the mess of strong oak tones roughly a year ago. Now, the very strong oak tones that once were, have slowly become very subtle and no longer over power this brew. This is NOW a very enjoyable brew.

briiguy, Apr 17, 2013