Tiberian Inquisitor - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Tiberian InquisitorTiberian Inquisitor

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 04-16-2013

Want to have your most hidden secrets torn from the dark recesses of your soul? Tiberian Inquisitor will do just that. This Belgian-style ale aged for one year in French oak is a beer to be reckoned with.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.29/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour with malt, grain, yeast, and spice aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour brown sugar and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer with a slight sourness that is somewhat odd. (608 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This poured out as a golden colored brew with a good sized white head on top. The lacing and retention of this beer were good. The smell of this reminded me of a Sharpie Magic Marker. It smelled acidic and wooden, very pungent on the nose. The taste was also pretty harsh with the French oak and souring agents in there... I can't say I want to ever have this one again. The mouthfeel is pretty basic, nice carbonation that's about all. Overall it's not a great beer at all. This one took me a while to drink because of the flavors it had. It was fun to try At aleast (567 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now that's new...

Let's get the appearance part of this review out of the way: Dark gold, nearly bronze with strong haze. Firm ivory foam retains well and laces intricately on the glass- blah, blah, blah. Glad that's done, now...

Brandy, wine, port, and bourbon strike the nose with a seriously unexpected scent of vinous-soaked wood, wood spice, and savory, almost-meaty aromas. Cider, cedar and saw dust wrap around mild balsamic notes for a crazy melange of tart, mature, and distinct booze scents. Never experienced an aroma like this before- kinda nervous about the first sip...

Red wine, white wine and rose wine all inherit the taste buds. Even more so than beer- the taste is deeply vinous and ripe with concentrated port, sherry, maple and vermouth. Savory, salty and sweet, there's something of mesquite, fragrant wood, leather, and fresh-cut tobacco that throws a lot of intangible taste at the mouth. Peppery with wood spice, dry cider, sandalwood, and acetone- the flavors seem endless but the taste is effortless on the palate- Its an incredibly eccentric ale that stops just shy of souring.

Surprisingly light on the palate, the short-lived sweetness turns to tart vinous action in a hurry. Powdery, spicy and warm to finish- its easy to use more of the wine lexicon to describe this beer that that of actual beer. Strong wood tannin and mild astringency are more associated with oak-aged white wines than that of beer.

Its incredible flavor profile has gone away from the Belgian Pale Ale that's buried underneath and toward the long-lived barrel. I absolutely love the mature "aged" flavors of this ale but the barrel seems a bit much- at times I wonder, "where's the beer". Could they write an '80's style commercial about this? ...but the beer is kinda all-over-the-map. Gotta argue that when everything stands out, then nothing stands out. (1,864 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks Chris for sharing! Served in a small snifter glass.

Sanguine dark reddish amber color, a thin layer of parchment tinged foam on the surface. Okay clarity, looking straight down the meniscus of the glass is visible. Surface skim parts quickly, minimal spotty lace when swirled.

Fusel aroma at first, after awhile it becomes very sweet with a fig and plum character.

Tastes very sweet like a mead, honey, figs, plums, dessert wine. Booze is overt, there's a little bit of tartness that seems appropriate with the fruit character. Very potent in small doses... A little harsh and boozy. Seemed to improve slightly after sitting out for 15 minutes, allowing the fusels to dissipate. Glad this was shared a few ways. (722 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not sure who shared this at Aniela's birthday, but no thanks to you! Served in a taster glass, as I knew better.

A - White foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, and splotchy lacing. Hazy unfiltered amber body.

S - Big vinous notes, some green apple, a ton of dry oak. Quite rough, with very little of the base beer apparent; perhaps some nebulous fruity yeast. Odd, but not entirely terrible.

T - The taste is a weird mix of white wine and wood. There's some under ripe stone fruit in the mix suggesting that this was a beer at some point in time, but the barrel has pretty much overwhelmed Tiger Jelly (I believe that was the base?). Not good, but not at the gag-inducing level of Biggs' 'stache or Bully Guppy.

M - Medium body, pleasant carbonation, dry and tannic, with a surprisingly large amount of warming alcohol. I didn't get a ton of booze flavor-wise, but it's here in spades, particularly in the finish.

D - Not a very good beer, but not so terrible that it warrants mythical status like some other 3 Floyds 'experiments'. Hard to drink in any sort of meaningful volume and definitely not recommended. (1,121 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle received in trade from MeadMe, thanks for the opportunity. Shared with BFD at The Mohers house. Hazy medium gold with a smallish quickly dissipating head. Smells of leather oak vanilla caramel and a bit of funk. The flavor follows the aroma. Not what I expected and a bit out there with flavors. It grew on me as I sampled it, but its not really my cup of tea. (367 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chardonay nodes in beer always throw me off. I split this with a couple of fairly knowledgable beer dudes they swore up and down they tasted brett. Nope, I kept saying, that's just weirdly sour funky wine nodes, we just *want* to think that it's brett because then we don't have to be scared about what we're drinking.

Anyhow, it's a big messy bag of all sorts of nodes. Much more good than bad, but still some weird chemical wisps sneak their way in there, giving the drinker pause (the off nodes are much more present in the aroma than in the flavor). Mostly it's like a soured-up Belgian blonde with uncharacteristically fiery alcohol nodes. Neat, well worth trying, but nothing I feel the need to revisit. (711 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%

Bomber into a Ranger IPA pint glass. Wow booze, apples, grapes, caramel.

This shit intense. The booziness is very powerful. Seems more like a 12% cider.

Glad I tried this one, but I'm one and done. I love Three Floyds but this will knock you on your arse. (259 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -13%

A - Pours an opaque amber orange color with an off white and generously sticky lacing ring.

S - Tons of green apples, cider, white grapes, tart apple, green.

T - Lots of green apple, fusel alcohol, cider, mead, Chardonnay, and some oak.

M - Heavy light body with some puckering tartness.

O - As much as I love FFF's, it 's big, but avoid this beer. (Sorry to say.) (368 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a nice clean amber pour with a finger of white head which dissipated quickly. smells of belgian yeast, slight sourness to it, vanilla, caramel. a flavor profile mainly based off of vanilla and raisins, some charred notes giving a slight cocoa taste, caramel.. this is basically just a sweet treat! the more it warms up the more the charred flavor comes up, making this a very fun drinking experience. medium in body with moderate carbonation.. a sweet finish.

this isn't really a mindblowing beer or anything, compared to some of the other FFF beers i've had, but it is a decent BA beer.. not too strong on the barrel flavors, nice and sweet, with a high abv to get the job done! (680 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -55.3%

22oz bottle poured into FFF Teku.

A - Pours with a finger of white foam. Has a brownish/reddish hue to it. Looks unassuming of the horrors that lie next.

S - Smells like if someone took a glass of chardonnay and poured liquid cement into it. Smells very astringent, like Icy/Hot. Very off-putting.

T - I will not be finishing this. After this review, it will be drainpoured. Upon the sip, you get a faint belgian blonde taste, but that's very quickly washed out by rubbing alcohol. Lots of it. Perhaps more like moonshine. Either way, this isn't working. After that fades, it does leave a bit of wine-like sweetness that is pleasant after the train wreck I just tasted, but memories of what I just went through are keeping me from wanting another sip.

M - The alcohol is extremely present here. Pervasive almost, and this is to someone who loves big beers! Other then that, I guess I can give it credit for being true to "style" in texture.

O - I was warned by a couple BA's to not buy a bottle, but I didn't listen. This is not drinkable. If you are going to try it, split it with 10-12 people. (1,103 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle shared by Chainsaw. I would say "Thanks!" but I'm pretty sure sharing this was a malevolent act.

A. Light amber with a coarse white head.

S. Bacterial, burnt caramel, lightly acetic, acetone, raisiny, soapy, dried fruit.

T. Heavy chardonnay, leathery, white raisins, pineapple, astringent oak. The taste isn't quite as bad as the aroma, but it's not good either.

M. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O. Something went wrong with the barrel-aging, as there are a bunch of off-aromas and flavors here that are odd and unpleasant. Stay away. (563 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I bought the beer first, then read the reviews and got scared. I thought this was going to be Bully Guppy all over again. It does remind me of that on the nose a little but not nearly the acetone scent from the Guppy. Fortunately, most of the reviewers were harsh. Definitely something odd and off about the beer, but much better than expected.

One review likened the smell to Carmel apples and I can see that. It has a sweet/fruity scent mixed with Chardonnay. Personally I kind of like it.

The taste is nowhere near what you'd expect from a pale ale. There is no hop feel or bitterness in is beer. It has a sour funky Belgian thing going on, but again not in a bad way.

Personally, I'm glad I bought a bomber and was able to try it. I would suggest aging something like this in a different type of barrel next time. But it was an interesting experience. (858 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +23%

After hearing all of the negative reviews for this beer, I almost felt like I needed to write a review and defend it a little bit.

A - Pours a bronze color with very little head. It appears thick and syrupy as it pours into the glass too. Not a whole lot to look at...

S - Bread, caramel, and lots of oak

T - You're going to have to really like the taste of oak (in my opinion) to like this beer. The first thing that hits you is a ton of that oaky barrel flavor. There's also quite a bit of heat from the alcohol present. There's also a sweet flavor there that reminds me of caramel.

M - Thick and chewy

O - Was this beer worth the $20 price tag? Honestly, I was glad that I tried it once. It wasn't the most balanced beer I've ever had, but I really enjoyed the heavy oak flavor and I can't say that I've had another beer like this. (839 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Is this meant to age? Waxed BPA?

A - Pours golden amber in color with an off white head. Everything seems normal.

S - Fruity sweetness with a dry wine character. Sour apple? Candied apple?

T - A little tart to start off that transforms into caramel and oak with a white grape finish.

M - Light bodied and high carbonation. Really lets you swish the flavors around to taste them.

O - Not one I'd want to seek out again, but it holds up to other sour/tart beers, IMO. Being 3F, people must have been expecting a hop bomb or something. I enjoyed it. (552 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Big thanks to mjohnson17 for this one! Just wanted to see what all the butthurt was about...

It's a beautiful looking beer. That's for sure. Sort of a burnt honey gold body stuffed with beading and capped with a frothy off-white to khaki head that exhibits a healthy amount of lace.

Not very beautiful on the nose. Certainly is aggressive... smells like it was aged in a Franzia barrel. Where did they find a Franzia barrel?

This is awful. Really, really awful. It tastes like it smells... it's like they took some sort of Belgian style beer and aged it in a used paint can with trace amounts of shampoo and Drano.

I'm actually a little embarrassed for the Floyds. I'm not sure how you could release this beer with a straight face. (737 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Three Floyds does not make many dumpers, but this is a dumper that they should be ashamed to bottle. The appearance was nice enough with a golden copper color. The aroma was the first hint of a problem as it smell like rubbing alcohol. There was really nothing attractive about the smell. On the initial taste, I felt as though I were drinking nail polish. Trying to be more positive, I tried to start over and image what the brewers were going for. I noticed grape skin, tart apples, but the nail polish kept coming back. The mouthfeel was thick enough to make me believe that this once was a Belgian Strong before sitting in barrels and going wrong. I could not finish the glass. (681 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -39%

Pours amber in color with a slight red tint. 1 finger off white head that has decent retention.

Wow smells like something went horribly wrong. Smells similar to the cheap Marsala cooking wine that spoiled in my pantry. Slight oak and tons of funk.

Taste follows the smell. Funk and tons of booze. I don't know if this was intentional or what but it is not good. (365 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a dark burnt orange color.

S: Very boozy. Almost like a quad. Pick up a light hint of oak.

T: Better than expected flavor. The booze is hidden very well. Very dry. Not one of their better beers, but definitely a beer worth a taste in a sniffer glass.

M: Very light carbonation. Almost feels like a Goose Island Matilda.

O: Not a bad beer. If it happened to be brewed again and was on tap I would drink it again, but wouldn't actively seek it out. I think it is a bit better than overall rating it has now. (519 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served on draft at Three Floyd's on 5/4/2013

A: Served in a tulip glass. A slightly murky copper color with a finger and a half white fluffy head. The head receeds fairly quickly leaving a white rim with a little lacing.

S: It literally smells like a caramel apple. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled. Loads and loads of apple and caramel aromas. Really interesting!!

T: The taste follows the smell very closely. I get tons of apple skin, dry oak barrel, a little vanilla, and lots of caramel on the finish. I can tell the wine barrels definitely dryed the beer out, but the sweet caramel kicks in on the back-end. For a 9.5% beer, I don't get any detectable alcohol. Again, very interesting and very unique.

M: A fairly standard Belgian mouthfeel, although it is definitely dry.

O: I don't see where all the hate comes from honestly. I told the server I'd try it out of "morbid curiosity" because I had heard so many bad reviews. But I was definitely pleasantly surprised. It is unlike anything I've ever had before, and I'm very happy I tried it. I can't stress it enough - it smells and tastes just like a caramel apple. (1,128 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

NEW REVIEW!

I must say, adding age to this once barely mediocre beer, Tiberian Inquisitor; it is now quite good!! If you have one in the cellar, it is time (well, from where it once came from lol) Mild oak, mild oak, & more mild oak. Notes of toasted oats, some citrusy fruits and caramel now shine through and fit this brew great.

When I last had this brew I could not get past the mess of strong oak tones roughly a year ago. Now, the very strong oak tones that once were, have slowly become very subtle and no longer over power this brew. This is NOW a very enjoyable brew. (580 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22 oz. orange waxed bottle into a Three Floyds Brewing Company branded teku glass

Pours a hazy dark golden with heavy amber accents topped by a two finger off white head. Great retention, significant lacing. Oak and hints of wine on the nose. Plenty of oak, white wine, apple and pear, and Belgian yeast "juicy fruit." Finishes with oak and white wine accented booziness and a very mild tartness. Low carbonation, slick body. Lighter side of medium bodied. This brew certainly has improved with age. The barrel character was far too strong and dominating upon release last year, however it is much more balanced currently. Still not a stellar brew, but much more enjoyable with a little bit of age. (713 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had this on tap and from a bottle.

I swear i smell strong apple cider, but tastes nothing like apples. Very oak forward taste slightly alcoholic but good. I can understand why people criticize this one, the aroma is nothing like the taste and it just seems to tingle your taste buds, but something about it kept drawing me in! I still have a couple of bottles, I cant wait to try it with a little more age on it. (413 characters)

3.31/5  rDev 0%

Bottle, poured into a snifter

A - Pours a cloudy dark amber with a slight head that subsides into a lacy halo. Glows copper against the light.

S - Boozy waft, like a bourbon-aged ale. Maple, caramel, tofee, with an edge of pineapple. There's also a spicy overtone, like cinnamon and white pepper. A bit of apple.

T - Tangy and woody, with the sweet smokiness of a Belgian Pale Ale chased with a shot of whiskey. The sweet booziness is calmer than something like Doom, and the passion fruit and caramel is more pronounced. Still, the taste is sort of inconsistent, wavering between watered down fruit and sugar/spice.

M - Medium light, pretty insubstantial.

O - Not awful, as many have attested. I'd not turn this away, but it's definitely the weakest 3 Floyds offering I've had. There's an occasional wiffs of wood-backed BPA assurance, but they are fleeting. Don't feel too bad if you miss this one.

***

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
www.thecuriograph.com
Twitter: @TheCuriograph (1,023 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I tried to avoid reading much about this one, because initial impressions of this one were not going well. 10 oz. on-tap in Munster, poured into a tulip on May 30th, 2013.

A - Dark murky toffee coloring, with minimal head, lacing, and retention. Pretty close to bourbon Fred FtW's appearance.

S - Big time green apple, Belgian yeast, candied sugar, and dark resinous fruit. This smells... okay.

T - Spoiled espresso beans, raisins, band aid, and some other unappealing sweetness. I couldn't find the right verbage to describe how weird this tastes. It's so completely different than the aroma, like an entirely different style. I'm not sure how FFF even managed this disconnection.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, dry finish. Probably the best part of this.

D - This had to have been a fucked up recipe to begin with, so I can only assume they forced it into oak to try and salvage it. That really didn't work. (918 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Tiberian Inquisitor from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.