Tiberian Inquisitor - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Tiberian InquisitorTiberian Inquisitor

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

Want to have your most hidden secrets torn from the dark recesses of your soul? Tiberian Inquisitor will do just that. This Belgian-style ale aged for one year in French oak is a beer to be reckoned with.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 04-16-2013)
3.66/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I bought the beer first, then read the reviews and got scared. I thought this was going to be Bully Guppy all over again. It does remind me of that on the nose a little but not nearly the acetone scent from the Guppy. Fortunately, most of the reviewers were harsh. Definitely something odd and off about the beer, but much better than expected.

One review likened the smell to Carmel apples and I can see that. It has a sweet/fruity scent mixed with Chardonnay. Personally I kind of like it.

The taste is nowhere near what you'd expect from a pale ale. There is no hop feel or bitterness in is beer. It has a sour funky Belgian thing going on, but again not in a bad way.

Personally, I'm glad I bought a bomber and was able to try it. I would suggest aging something like this in a different type of barrel next time. But it was an interesting experience.

Ncpogs, May 09, 2013

WKole81, May 08, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

mjohnson17, May 07, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served on draft at Three Floyd's on 5/4/2013

A: Served in a tulip glass. A slightly murky copper color with a finger and a half white fluffy head. The head receeds fairly quickly leaving a white rim with a little lacing.

S: It literally smells like a caramel apple. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled. Loads and loads of apple and caramel aromas. Really interesting!!

T: The taste follows the smell very closely. I get tons of apple skin, dry oak barrel, a little vanilla, and lots of caramel on the finish. I can tell the wine barrels definitely dryed the beer out, but the sweet caramel kicks in on the back-end. For a 9.5% beer, I don't get any detectable alcohol. Again, very interesting and very unique.

M: A fairly standard Belgian mouthfeel, although it is definitely dry.

O: I don't see where all the hate comes from honestly. I told the server I'd try it out of "morbid curiosity" because I had heard so many bad reviews. But I was definitely pleasantly surprised. It is unlike anything I've ever had before, and I'm very happy I tried it. I can't stress it enough - it smells and tastes just like a caramel apple.

pmoney, May 07, 2013

otrejo, May 07, 2013
2.66/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle shared by Chainsaw. I would say "Thanks!" but I'm pretty sure sharing this was a malevolent act.

A. Light amber with a coarse white head.

S. Bacterial, burnt caramel, lightly acetic, acetone, raisiny, soapy, dried fruit.

T. Heavy chardonnay, leathery, white raisins, pineapple, astringent oak. The taste isn't quite as bad as the aroma, but it's not good either.

M. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O. Something went wrong with the barrel-aging, as there are a bunch of off-aromas and flavors here that are odd and unpleasant. Stay away.

Etan, May 07, 2013

JellyJacket, May 07, 2013

Arsenal0328, May 07, 2013
1.74/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Big thanks to mjohnson17 for this one! Just wanted to see what all the butthurt was about...

It's a beautiful looking beer. That's for sure. Sort of a burnt honey gold body stuffed with beading and capped with a frothy off-white to khaki head that exhibits a healthy amount of lace.

Not very beautiful on the nose. Certainly is aggressive... smells like it was aged in a Franzia barrel. Where did they find a Franzia barrel?

This is awful. Really, really awful. It tastes like it smells... it's like they took some sort of Belgian style beer and aged it in a used paint can with trace amounts of shampoo and Drano.

I'm actually a little embarrassed for the Floyds. I'm not sure how you could release this beer with a straight face.

yamar68, May 06, 2013

LinusBohman, May 05, 2013

KevinmusPrime, May 04, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

robwestcott, May 04, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured about 4oz out of a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - The color is a murky brown that neither looks inviting nor repulsing. Carbonation is average with a half inch of head.

S - The first thing that hit me was a woody smell follow by apple cider and then a faint hint of alcohol. I actually enjoyed the smell and was hoping the flavor would be as complex.

T - There are all sorts of things going on in the background, but again, I got major apple cider flavors. In fact, if I was blind folded, I might have thought this was some kind of hard cider. The chardonnay barreling was quite noticeable, and when I didn't think I was drinking cider, I thought I was drinking wine. Unlike other reviewers, I thought the alcohol was actually masked very well.

M - There was nothing spectacular about the feel. It was quite smooth for me, but it probably could have used a bit more carbonation.

O - After reading all of the reviews on this beer, I was prepping for the worst. Maybe these low expectations actually made the beer enjoyable to me. I split it with 4 people, but I could easily have had all 22oz to myself. I wouldn't seek it out again, but it's definitely worth trying.

nawpnawp, May 04, 2013

ObeMaltKinobee, May 03, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chardonay nodes in beer always throw me off. I split this with a couple of fairly knowledgable beer dudes they swore up and down they tasted brett. Nope, I kept saying, that's just weirdly sour funky wine nodes, we just *want* to think that it's brett because then we don't have to be scared about what we're drinking.

Anyhow, it's a big messy bag of all sorts of nodes. Much more good than bad, but still some weird chemical wisps sneak their way in there, giving the drinker pause (the off nodes are much more present in the aroma than in the flavor). Mostly it's like a soured-up Belgian blonde with uncharacteristically fiery alcohol nodes. Neat, well worth trying, but nothing I feel the need to revisit.

mynie, May 02, 2013