Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

to view more.
Ratings: 5,103 | Reviews: 1,490
4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the more flavorful wheat beers that I've had.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very good. I see why they call it gumball :)

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tons of citrus in the nose and up front, wheat taste prevalent, excellent brew

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very good American Pale Ale that I will be making a road trip to Indiana to visit the brewery! A good scores across but the taste of this brew was very good!

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

bottle was a week old straight from brewery. the hop addition nicely complements the malt profile. I will always seek this out. a holy grail beer

4.42/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A very unique tasting wheat beer. Different than any other wheat beer I have had, in a good way.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

I have no words to truly describe this beer. What I can say is that I've been trying to track it down for 18 months. The best description I can give is that it takes the best parts of an IPA and mixes then with a Hefeweizen to result in one of the best beers that I've ever tasted! It's not perfect, the scent is a little pungent on the nose and the color does not quite fit the taste but this beer has to be tasted to be understood. As an added bonus, the packaging is very fun. Now, to hunt down more!

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best wheat beer i've ever tasted. Very drinkable and refreshing!

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into Snifter dated 4/10

A: light gold orange color with great clarity bubbly thick head

S: very hoppy citrusy has that overripe melon smell

T: very nice citrusy taste very similar to yum yum though

M: not bad a little creamy for a wheat it's thicker which is nice

O: this is a great wheat beer but with none of the wheat taste it's just a citrusy hoppy beer. Tastes a lot like Yum yum I tried earlier. The beers are quite similar in taste maybe a water thing this is a nice pale ale but kinda a shitty wheat if that makes sense

Defiantly Not for me ever !!

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My epiphany beer. Without this beer who knows what swill I'd be drinking.

not an american pale wheat guy but this ones as good as you get!

This wheat beer is as good as it gets! Very refreshing!

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - See through dull, light colored gold. White, medium head.

Smell - Has the dank hop aroma. There is malt as well. Not really "wheat."

Taste - Very good wheat (mellow), hop (slight bitter), and malt taste. There is a bread aftertaste. Not very floral or fruity.

Feel - Stings the tongue. Feels like water.

Overall - Drink this on a porch. This is a good wheat to ale transition beer.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 03/18/2015 on the bottleneck. It's been a long long time since I've last had this beer, so I figured it was time to revisit. Acquired a single bottle from the local beer store.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a crisp golden body with excellent clarity and just a bit of yeast sediment noticeable in the glass. About a finger of frothy white head that stays awhile and leaves good thin strands of lacing.

S - The aroma really isn't doing anything for me, slightly disappointing. Fruity, berry-ish, soapy, & floral from the Amarillo hops. A bit of an earthy / grainy sort of wheat presence is there I suppose, but not very pronounced. A flat, one-dimensional aroma. A bit swampy & herbal. I'm liking the smell less and less as it goes on.

T - The taste is more of the same: soapy, floral, and indistinctly fruity, with some almost berry-ish qualities imparted from the hopping.

M - The feel is dry and grainy on the end. Smooth & crisp, but very drying on the finish, with a strange yeasty aftertaste.

Overall, I'd call this one an unimpressive offering from Three Floyds, and definitely over-hyped. In the realm of American Pale Wheat Ales, I would choose Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale over this one any day.

Three Floyds Gumballhead -----3.5/5

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

Amazing flavor for such low abv.

3.64/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Just had this one at a funeral wake of all places. My pastor had some and brought it. Funny thing is, I think I'm the one who picked it up for him the last time I was in Indiana, where he's originally from.

Drank from the bottle. Could tell it was a pale ale from the smell/taste. Didn't realize it was a wheat variant at first, although subconsciously I knew it from the name. A little thinner than I would expect from either a pale ale or a wheat ale. Still, a good, drinkable beer. Wish I could say more, but wasn't really prepared to take notes or inclined to think about it really hard. And then, as I said, straight from the bottle, so not much for looks or aroma. Would like to try again some time so I can update my review.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%

Almost tastes like anise if you let it warm up.

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Just a damn good beer and great example of American Wheat.

One of those beers that you have to get your hands on.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

3.5/4.25/4.25/4.5/4.25
Served on tap at Mikkeller Bar Bangkok.
Malty soft nose with a generous dose fruit and hint of hop. The mouthfeel is smooth and sweet and really full, with pleasant mango hops and a clean, long candy finish.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Three Floyd's staple.... I'm very lucky to live in an area where I can find this almost anytime I want. If only I could say the same for it's cousin Zombie Dust.... But no complaints, this beer is amazing in its own right.

The staple of 3 Floyds....heaven in a bottle.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I love the car-wash-windshield-soap lace this leaves on the glass.

4.04/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Great pine aroma. Lemony hop flavor, but the malt bill seemed lacking. Not my favorite.

My favorite beer! Smooth taste. Good character.

to view more.
Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.