Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Reviews by LovingCup:
LovingCup

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%

I was gifted one of these about a years ago and I remember enjoying it immensely. I've kept an eye out for it but have yet to see it on the shelf. That is, until today, when I spotted a lone sixer sitting behind a couple packs of "Pride & Joy." Without hesitation I snatched it up. It's super fresh bottled less than two weeks ago...The artwork is sick...Looking forward to this one!

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow. Lots of carbonation, the fizzy bubbles persist. The head, is nearly snow white. unfortunately the head is nearly non existent and I don't get any lacing.

Smell: Being called gumballhead, I anticipated a hefe type sweet banana smell, with pronounced buble gum or candy esque smells. But I don't really get anything of the sort. Taking a whiff, it smells more like a ipa/apa. Juicy, citrusy, hoppy, with maybe a touch of spice. I wanted to smell bubblegum. But for what it's worth, it smells very good! It is rather faint however, the intensity level could have been raised a few notches.

Taste: Yep, tastes like an ipa/apa. I taste hops! Boatloads of them. Now I know what Amarillo hops taste like specifically. A hop bomb of a wheat beer. Not overly bitter. It does pack a little punch up front, but is smooth and refreshing on the back-end. The initial hop bite would lead me to guess the abv a percentage point or so higher than it is (5.6%) Still, this beer is extremely drinkable and a good choice to session with. Whatever wheat profile this beer has follows the hop intensity, proving the yang to the yin, the character mellows during part two. I do feel like the taste does lack a bit of complexity, which may seem a contradiction, considering I just pointed out the changing, two part nature of the taste profile. Hoppy, slightly bitter, grassy, a bit of spice, dry, fruity, citrus, grapefruit, lemon, i guess wheat? In short, this beer tastes satisfying.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat "oily," light to medium light, crisp and refreshing with a lot of bubbly carbonation, which I really dig with this beer. I'm almost reminded of a lager in the most endearing of ways. It makes me think "summertime." Ballgames, bbq, beaches, backyards, music fests, this beer says "session-able and intense.'

Overall: I am simultaneously impressed and ever so slightly let down. I think this beer is undoubtedly better than "good." I'm surprised the bros only gave it a 83. This beer is very good; great. arguably outstanding. TBH, i am slightly put off by these beers that seemed destined to hype from incarnation. Idk if FFF just doesn't have the resources meet their demand. It just sort of irritates me where breweries produce such a low volume of product so they can artificially jack up the price and the hype. This marketing strategy is nothing new or unique to this industry. My point is, if you can brew good shit, brew that shit for all to enjoy! Stop hoarding that shit like a blood diamond yo!
Anyway Gumballhead by Three Floyds. Very good, comes highly recommended by me. If you find yourself in the situation where you are able to procure, procure that shieet! You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it! Did I mention the sick artwork?

02-16-2014 06:27:30 | More by LovingCup
oberon

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a hazy peach with a thinner head than expected that was gone pretty quickly,oh man the aromas!Loads of Amarrilo hops give it a big piney aroma intermingled with some citrus and clove like wheatiness,man what a combination.The different refreshing flavors of this beer are just awesome, definent hop profile of grapefruit and pine along with a wheat beer -lemon and spice make this a one of a kind.Damn now I see why this beer is so highly regarded and Amarillo hops are a big favorite of mine.

05-18-2005 00:37:19 | More by oberon
RoyalT

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance – The body is a hazy yellow in color that’s kind of dirty and tinged with a slightly orangish hue. The head came up well enough after I worked the pour. It settles nicely though leaving some cool lava pits on top of the liquid.

Smell – Yeow! That is one sharp, hoppy nose. I wasn’t expecting that. The huge Amarillo and pine sap caught me completely off guard. I almost dropped my glass on the floor. I’m sure there’s some wheat in there that I’ll find at the taste, I just can’t get there from here.

Taste – Ah, there is a bit of bubblegum to this after all. The wheat flavor is light, but it manages to avoid getting stomped by the hops. The hops come out much smoother on the tongue. Nicely done.

Mouthfeel – I can’t believe how smooth this is after getting my first whiff. I thought this was going to be brutal, but they have expertly blended the flavors here. There’s some nice, light carbonation, a good dryness at the finish, and a fluffy character that keeps one entertained.

Drinkability – This is a class act. The style is kind of new to me, and it certainly is no German weizen, but this was a very refreshing offering by Three Floyds that left me wanting more.

Comments – Big thanks to feloniousmonk for sending this one all the way to Seattle. I’ve found a new standard.

07-10-2004 01:31:33 | More by RoyalT
DaPeculierDane

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Brassy pale orange under a thin white froth. Big Amarillo piney aroma, bits of yeast, and loads of citrus but no wheat. Tastes almost rye like, very spicy but perfectly balanced with grapefruit and other citrus. Drinkable in huge quantities. Wonderful mouthfeel has all the best qualities of an APA and a wheat beer. Does this fit the style? Does this fit any style? I don’t know but I do know that this is damn fine stuff. If it wasn’t so pricy I drink it by the barrel. As it is, I can’t justify drinking this more than once.

05-01-2006 02:16:11 | More by DaPeculierDane
DanGeo

07-06-2013 00:06:57 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

03-19-2014 13:22:43 | More by tectactoe
TCHopCraver

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to TCGoalie for the bottle. Reviewed from notes crafted on 11/17/10.

Gumballhead pours a bronzed-gold with a light khaki head into a sniffer. An ominous swirl of misty foam remains on top of the attractive brew as medium-sized carbonation bubbles rush to the surface. The lacing clings to the sides of the glass in the shape of small dots and streaks.

The Amarillo hops are the first noticed and biggest presence in the smell. Those combine with a slightly spicy wheat aroma and result in a very tangy citrus aroma of lemon, tangerine, and lime. There is a sourdough bread and biscuit scent supporting the hop and wheat aromas.

The wheat and hops marry so well in my mouth that I cannot separate the two flavors. The grainy, spicy wheat and the lemon-lime citrus hops arrive on my palate simultaneously and play all over my mouth. The finish is distinct hop bitterness and is a fitting palate cleanser. The lemon- lime flavor of the hops sticks with me as the bittering hops pucker the sides of my palate.

A combination of a medium- bodied creaminess and a zesty pucker constitute the mouthfeel. This is a fine and intriguing combo and makes my mouth quite happy. The carbonation is just right for this brew and rounds off a delightful mouthfeel.

Certainly one of the most interesting American wheat beers that I've had, Gumballhead is a beverage that I will certainly look for again. Maybe it's just because I like hops so much, but I'd say it's my favorite wheat beer that I've tried so far. Yet another winner from 3 Floyds.

12-09-2010 00:05:02 | More by TCHopCraver
brewdogmrb

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A: Golden, clear, and lightly carbonated.

S: A lot of hops, a lot of yeast, beautiful all around.

T: Hoppy wheat heaven! Belgium meets Germany in the USA -- what else could be better?

M: Nice carbonation, very drinkably light body.

D: One of the most drinkable beers ever and one of my all time favorite session beers without a doubt!

09-07-2008 16:20:25 | More by brewdogmrb

Schlais

12-02-2011 03:57:10 | More by Schlais
weatherdog

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Three Floyds tulip shaped pint glass.

It pours a slightly hazy gold or honey with a disappointing 1 finger head that dies pretty quickly and doesn't leave much lace. Barely a cluster of bubbles remain on the beer surface.

The nose is an instant a reminder as anything of the power an beauty of the Amarillo hop. It's just bursting with juicy grapefruit hop goodness but still manages not to be too resiny or heavy. The only thing holding me back from a 5 is a tiny solvent smell at the back end.

The flavor start off with a moderate grapefruit hoppiness. It isn't nearly as strong as the nose would suggest. I'm also getting just a hint of peach as well. The flavor does seem to kind of drop off in the middle of the sip and ends with a void. It's kind of weird.

the bodi is light to medium with an aggressive carbonation level to make it seem lighter. The mouthfeel also has a texture of what I associate with a decent percentage of wheat malt used. It's kind of creamy and slick but not in a bad way, it's just what have recognized as a common trait in most beers with wheat. It's highly drinkable though and I can surely understand why there is such demand for this beer. Overall a really nice everyday beer.

10-26-2010 03:06:07 | More by weatherdog

Cuvie62

05-27-2013 06:14:58 | More by Cuvie62
blackearth

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Purchased at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee, WI. Pours a hazy, golden body with a thin white head. Aroma is of spicy citrus hops. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a spicy high carbonation level. The hop flavors dominate and really cover up the wheat flavors for me. Very good, but a not very balanced. I'd have this one again though.

11-27-2009 21:27:22 | More by blackearth
orbitalr0x

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

Fresh bomber of Gumballhead is always a refreshing sight in my fridge. Pours a brilliant golden orange color with a creamy arid two finger head on top that leaves sticky lacing on my pint glass. Aroma is a blast of lovely tropical Amarillo hop goodness. Fresh cut, juicy pineapple slices, oranges, mangoes....herbal, oily, resinous. Underneath is a crisp, fresh wheaty lemony body. Still the most lush, aromatic American wheat beer that has ever graced my nostrils. Yum.

First sip brings a rush of vine ripened lovely hoppiness. Sublimely fruity with notes of pineapple, orange, lemon, and just a hint of herbal pine resin as well. A nicely creamy wheat grain background...sweet with a hint of astrigent husk on the back of the palate. Mellow bitterness throughout makes this the ultimate summer quencher. The best American wheat beer hands down...brilliantly hopped and just so damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Rolls over the palate smoothly...being light enough to still be refreshing. This is probably my all time favorite summer brew as I could drink it by the case no problem. I wouldn't mind seeing this in six packs...as it would be a bit more convenient. All in all...this is a great wheat beer.

08-19-2005 21:14:15 | More by orbitalr0x