Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Reviews by berley31:

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Three Floyds tulip shaped pint glass.

It pours a slightly hazy gold or honey with a disappointing 1 finger head that dies pretty quickly and doesn't leave much lace. Barely a cluster of bubbles remain on the beer surface.

The nose is an instant a reminder as anything of the power an beauty of the Amarillo hop. It's just bursting with juicy grapefruit hop goodness but still manages not to be too resiny or heavy. The only thing holding me back from a 5 is a tiny solvent smell at the back end.

The flavor start off with a moderate grapefruit hoppiness. It isn't nearly as strong as the nose would suggest. I'm also getting just a hint of peach as well. The flavor does seem to kind of drop off in the middle of the sip and ends with a void. It's kind of weird.

the bodi is light to medium with an aggressive carbonation level to make it seem lighter. The mouthfeel also has a texture of what I associate with a decent percentage of wheat malt used. It's kind of creamy and slick but not in a bad way, it's just what have recognized as a common trait in most beers with wheat. It's highly drinkable though and I can surely understand why there is such demand for this beer. Overall a really nice everyday beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a hazy peach with a thinner head than expected that was gone pretty quickly,oh man the aromas!Loads of Amarrilo hops give it a big piney aroma intermingled with some citrus and clove like wheatiness,man what a combination.The different refreshing flavors of this beer are just awesome, definent hop profile of grapefruit and pine along with a wheat beer -lemon and spice make this a one of a kind.Damn now I see why this beer is so highly regarded and Amarillo hops are a big favorite of mine.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance – The body is a hazy yellow in color that’s kind of dirty and tinged with a slightly orangish hue. The head came up well enough after I worked the pour. It settles nicely though leaving some cool lava pits on top of the liquid.

Smell – Yeow! That is one sharp, hoppy nose. I wasn’t expecting that. The huge Amarillo and pine sap caught me completely off guard. I almost dropped my glass on the floor. I’m sure there’s some wheat in there that I’ll find at the taste, I just can’t get there from here.

Taste – Ah, there is a bit of bubblegum to this after all. The wheat flavor is light, but it manages to avoid getting stomped by the hops. The hops come out much smoother on the tongue. Nicely done.

Mouthfeel – I can’t believe how smooth this is after getting my first whiff. I thought this was going to be brutal, but they have expertly blended the flavors here. There’s some nice, light carbonation, a good dryness at the finish, and a fluffy character that keeps one entertained.

Drinkability – This is a class act. The style is kind of new to me, and it certainly is no German weizen, but this was a very refreshing offering by Three Floyds that left me wanting more.

Comments – Big thanks to feloniousmonk for sending this one all the way to Seattle. I’ve found a new standard.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Brassy pale orange under a thin white froth. Big Amarillo piney aroma, bits of yeast, and loads of citrus but no wheat. Tastes almost rye like, very spicy but perfectly balanced with grapefruit and other citrus. Drinkable in huge quantities. Wonderful mouthfeel has all the best qualities of an APA and a wheat beer. Does this fit the style? Does this fit any style? I don’t know but I do know that this is damn fine stuff. If it wasn’t so pricy I drink it by the barrel. As it is, I can’t justify drinking this more than once.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to TCGoalie for the bottle. Reviewed from notes crafted on 11/17/10.

Gumballhead pours a bronzed-gold with a light khaki head into a sniffer. An ominous swirl of misty foam remains on top of the attractive brew as medium-sized carbonation bubbles rush to the surface. The lacing clings to the sides of the glass in the shape of small dots and streaks.

The Amarillo hops are the first noticed and biggest presence in the smell. Those combine with a slightly spicy wheat aroma and result in a very tangy citrus aroma of lemon, tangerine, and lime. There is a sourdough bread and biscuit scent supporting the hop and wheat aromas.

The wheat and hops marry so well in my mouth that I cannot separate the two flavors. The grainy, spicy wheat and the lemon-lime citrus hops arrive on my palate simultaneously and play all over my mouth. The finish is distinct hop bitterness and is a fitting palate cleanser. The lemon- lime flavor of the hops sticks with me as the bittering hops pucker the sides of my palate.

A combination of a medium- bodied creaminess and a zesty pucker constitute the mouthfeel. This is a fine and intriguing combo and makes my mouth quite happy. The carbonation is just right for this brew and rounds off a delightful mouthfeel.

Certainly one of the most interesting American wheat beers that I've had, Gumballhead is a beverage that I will certainly look for again. Maybe it's just because I like hops so much, but I'd say it's my favorite wheat beer that I've tried so far. Yet another winner from 3 Floyds.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A: Golden, clear, and lightly carbonated.

S: A lot of hops, a lot of yeast, beautiful all around.

T: Hoppy wheat heaven! Belgium meets Germany in the USA -- what else could be better?

M: Nice carbonation, very drinkably light body.

D: One of the most drinkable beers ever and one of my all time favorite session beers without a doubt!

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%