Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,460 | Hads: 5,264

Appearance: Honey golden hue a huge massive off white cream in color big chunky mountainous texture very resilient leaves heavy streaks of random lacing. Aroma: Amazing absolutely one of the most pleasant and alluring hop profiles I've ever come across from an American wheat ale, who could have guessed that. Deep buttery pinecone scented hops as the label describes "loads of Amarillo hops" with a touch of banana ester, man this hop profile is kickin'. Taste: Heavenly, layer upon layer of this orgy of wheat, vanilla, and banana along with such a generous helping of Amarillo hops. Really hoppy flavored yet not that bitter extremely balanced, it's easy to say there's no other beer drinking experience like this out there. Mouthfeel: Creamy silky yet rediculously smooth going down, medium bodied with an even carbonation, a pure hop nectar. Drinkability: A dream come true for people who love both hoppy beers and wheat infused ales. If you don't like American wheats give this a try nothing like any other example of the style. Let me thank CRJMellor for this beauty I've been salivating to try this one. (1,111 characters)

This is the weaker lil' bro of Zombie Dust and I love it! Basically Zombie Dust light. The artwork is so raw it's fantastic. Did a child or mental patient design it, not an insult as I'm pretty much both. Very fun to track down in stores as well. This little brewery is something else. Yay-Yuhh!!! (297 characters)

This may be my favorite beer for all seasons. Zombie Dust may be the gold standard when it comes to 3 Floyds, but I like this one just as much. I typically buy this a case at a time. So good, so drinkable. Next time you are on I-80 near Munster, jump off and get yourself a case of Gumballhead and share with your friends. (326 characters)

Got get my Gumballhead. Simply incredible and if you are reading this wondering if you should buy it the answer is Yes, especially since it isn't distributed much. It's basically an IPA with wheat. The wheat (small amount detected) isn't prounounced and there isn't a wheat beer yeast character at all. I'm guessing the yeast is an IPA yeast or ale yeast and not a wheat ale yeast or hefe yeast. All the better. An elevation and transformation of styles. This beer is a classic. (478 characters)

Similar to Sweet Action, though doesn't taste as hoppy to me. I'm glad I can only seem to find it once a month as I'd probably drink it every day. Definitely my favorite in its style. (185 characters)

my on-tap standby at the local daily bar on lincoln. so glad i talked them into getting this long ago.
a: clear gold with a tinge of orange, nice white head and lacing.
s: has that signature fff smell...is it the house yeast that that adds that unique extra fruity note? kinda like juicy fruit gum for lack of a better descriptor. amarillo hops are beautifully showcased here-tropical fruit and citrus explode out of the glass.
t: i'd never guess there was wheat in here, which is good for me. not missing that wheatish soury twang. this is significantly better ontap than bottle, the taste and mouthfeel are fuller and rounder. beautifully balanced between the lightly sweet bready malts and smooth, juicy hops. finish is dryish with lingering fruity lemony hops.
m: this feels much, much bigger than 4.5%...still don't know why many places (including this site) have it at 5.5%. i love the carbonation level/feel ontap.
o: thank allah i can drink this ontap on a regular basis, the only thing better is zombie dust. both are perfection. (1,039 characters)

Well now. I am witnessing perfection. It is in a glass right in front of me. Not perfect in respect to beer guidelines, or style specifications. It’s just friggin’ perfect! Believe me, I know of FFFs’ propensity to over-hop anything that travels through their tanks, but this is working for me big time - The floral and piney hoppiness that comes out of this beer is so soft and matches so well with the rest of the beer. There's also touches of apricot and clover honey. This beer is very light in color – pale and golden, with a slight haziness making an appearance after the 2nd pour, due to the rousing of the yeast. The initial pour and tasting was from a perfectly lucid beer. The wheat malt lays a perfectly sweet foundation for those floral gummy hops. Not too sweet or too hoppy by any means. Any bitterness is beaten down with a sweet wheat malt stick. The finish is clean and has just the right amount of sour tang. It seems like most hefs’ have an abundance of sourness. It’s not a bad thing, but the tempered sourness in this beer, along with the hops, made drinking this beer an extremely enjoyable experience. Perfection… (1,143 characters)

I'm glad they are finally bottling this stuff...

Pours rich amber, slightly hazy. Leaves a very fluffy rocky white 1 finger head. It LOOKS like it has a lot of character.

Smells great. Crisp, hoppy, perhaps grapefruit rind, with a slight sweetness I can't place.

Mouthfeel: The epitome of what I think mouthfeel should be. Very dry and crisp and fizzy and creamy. It remains crisp throughout the drink.

Taste: I'm not a wheat fan, but I love this stuff. I'm not a hophead either, but this is very hoppy - but the hop is of a style that isn't bitter, but rather very dry. It gives it a very clean taste. The flavor then includes more grapefruit rind, other citrus. A few other hints I can't make out. Spice? Bread? Grass? I can't tell, but it is faint.

Finish: Clean. The bitterness fades into a dry sweetness that leaves no aftertaste, and a slight thirst (for more!).

I could drink this all day. If I could afford a kegerator, I would get it soley to have this beer on tap at my home. Yes, it is a summer beer, but I like it so much I would drink it year 'round. ....I guess it isn't available in the winter, though - so robert the bruce would have to fill in that gap.... I'll stop dreaming now.

If you are lucky enough to see this beer on the shelf, please try one. If you want more, hurry back because I understand the supply is limited. (1,362 characters)

I recently took a trip to Shangy's in Emmaus Pa. to pick up a few cases of Avery Eleven (a wonderful brew, btw). When I came across an unmarked case of Three Floyd's, I momentarily thought (or hoped) that I had found the Holy Grail -- Dreadnaught. What it was was Gumballhead, apparently the mocking opposite of what I was hoping for, in that it's a light summery wheat beer, not a hop monster. I bought the case (at a very steep $55) anyway. Why? I guess basically on the legendary reputation of Three Floyds. I was not disappointed.

Gumballhead is one of the most drinkable brews I've ever had. It has the look of a wheat beer -- light hazy and fluffy --and the creamy texture of a wheat beer -- but this has hops -- lots of hops. The citrussy yeasty wheat character is there too, but those delicious hops are upfront, and the combination is perfection. If this is Dreadnaught's little brother then ol' Dread deserves its reputation. I even like the weirdo cartoon label. Thumbs up! (987 characters)

This is one of my favorite wheat beers which says a lot because wheat beers do not excite me at all. Pours a beautiful golden color with a nice head. Smells of sweet candy and fruit.Taste is mildy sweet in the beginning almost like the shell of a gumball, but flows nicely into hoppy territory with a bombardment of amarillo hops. Definitely try this if you haven't. Its definitely the session wheat beer, for people who like an interesting twist. (447 characters)

One of the best beers that I have had in my life. It is a very smooth beer that tastes good as well. I hope everyone gets to try this in their lifetime. It is hard to get as it is rare to see in many liquor stores except for maybe once a month in some. There is a really nice beer bar in my college town that cycles through most of these top 250 beers a lot, but it's still hard to come by. (390 characters)

Wow. Such a simple beer, but has to be one of my all-time favorites. I could drink this beer all day every day, and have traded for it twice already. I'm even considering brewing a clone of it.

Anyway, it's fresh, citrusy, slightly sweet (tropical fruit), piney, and not bitter at all. It's like all the best flavors of the (Amarillo) hop, with none of the bitterness. I'm thinking the wheat-backbone is what does it. I'd call this beer a gateway beer, as it could ease one into trying hops without being knocked over by acidity and bitterness.

Love love love Gumballhead. He's kinda cute too. (595 characters)

12 oz bottle. Superfresh.

As I've gotten older I've become less impressed with the Xtreme. Yeah a hop bomb is nice, here and again. But they're easier to brew than you might think, and there's really not much room to move and innovate when you're going overboard. And, really, who the hell can drink that much regularly? Sometimes I don't want to get plastered off of one beer.

So then what's the best beer in the world? Rogue's stouts, Chocolate and Shakespeare, both make good cases for themselves. But in spite of their perfection they're really rich. I mean, yeah, they're f'in perfect. But you can't picture yourself drinking them like water, can you? As regular as clockwork, as much of a nonevent as it is a beautiful, glorious affirmation of something or other?

What's more perfect, your wife or a supermodel? Honestly? Both are valid choices, I think. Different personalities will choose differently. There is in my opinion a miracle in regularity. If something can be super enjoyable on a regular basis then it's better that something that can be overwhelmingly enjoyable once or twice in your entire lifetime. I'd rather have a really nice job than get to go on an awesome vacation for one week a year, is what I'm saying.

And here comes Gumballhead, the best beer that's ever been brewed anywhere by anybody. The hop profile is perfect. The pour is perfect. The aroma is like an herb garden that fucked a flower and had a bunch of a cute little pink and green babies. It's not overwhelming. It's just... it's just perfect. (1,540 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Served out of a bottle, into a small tupil glass. This beer pours nicely with a one-two finger head. Very nice!

A: awesome, love everything about it. From the packing to the bottle, to the color of the beer. A nice, slightly hazey orange/yellow.

S: Wow, not what you'd expect for a wheat beer. Smells more like a quality IPA. Very fruity/citrusy. You can smell the sweetness.

T: Amazing is all I can say. Amazingly drinkable and satisfying. Makes you wanna take another drink instantly. Great hoppy, citrusy, sweet profile that is incredibly smooth.

MF: Smooth, slightly oily and nice somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Very enjoyable, to say the least.

Overall, I drink this beer almost as much as I can - when I can find it! It's not an easy one to locate and I can see why. Another great offering from FFF. (810 characters)

22 oz. bomber served in a Pilsner glass 2006 release
Pours a surprising clear yellow-orange. I thought there would be cloudiness to it but there was none. Nice 1 inch white head that lasted a while and left great lacing. Slightly more carbonation than your average beer. Good pop on the nose. Great grassy aromas with a touch of citrus. Flavor was outstanding. Probably the best example of the style, at least that I've had. Grass and citrus with a yeasty, hoppy finish. AMAZING. Not heavy on the pallet making this very easy to drink. This is a great beer for the warmer season coming up. (590 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a hazy copper with a thin white head. Lacing is leaving thick bands on my glass.

Smell is very amarillo dominated. I thought for a second that I was sticking my face in a box of Fruity Pebbles, mmmm.

And the taste, holy crap is that stuff good. It's hop heavy with just tons of sweet smooth amarillos, but the balance is there most definitely. Citrus flavors move in and out on the tongue at different times.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and that sets it head and shoulders above all the other American wheat beers.

Drinkability is insane, one bottle was not enough, it is so good I and low abv and smoothness makes me just want to drink this all afternoon on the back porch. Summer beer of the year this year for sure! (740 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured 12oz bottle into a Guinness pint glass.

Pours a beautiful golden body with a bright white head that stays most of the way through. It leaves a nice white film on the glass with every drink. Smell is of hops and wheat. The smell is pretty straight-forward, nothing crazy going on there, but doesn't need to be. The taste is great, has good mellow hop taste with a wheat finish. Great balance between the two. Mouthful is what is to be expected of a great wheat beer, very thin, but that is a good thing. Overall this beer ranks up with my favorites. Believe it or not I'm not a huge wheat beer fan, but the blend of hops just makes this perfect. Great sessionable beer that you can drink on a hot summer day or a cold winters night. (739 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +17%

I love this beer!! SO deliscious, I get it everytime I am in the Indiana Area. Just a great beer all around. I highly suggest you try it, it's much better on tap but I would never ever turn down a bottle! I suppose I have to make this review a bit longer. Let's see 3 Floyds is an awesome place to check out. One of my favorite breweries to visit. The only downside of it is their menu, not much to eat there (408 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured a 22oz bomber into a tall boy. The minute I took the first whiff I knew I was going to love this one. Nice golden haze with an inch of white head. Lacing follows all the way to the last sip. Hoppy citrus at the nose. Nice hop bittnerness rounded out with smooth citrus notes. Superb mouthfeel with a crisp, refreshing citrus finish. This is a fantastic beer. The best way to sum this up is a Corona commercial. A perfect summertime beer with all the refreshment one could ask for. No lime needed here folks. Three Floyd's does it again. For me this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. I probably love it so much because of the APA characteristics it has. If you didn't see wheat written on the bottle you would have no idea it was one. If you are a big fan of the wheat taste you may not be too impressed here. Glad I have a nice stash of these to enjoy over the winter. Very expensive for me though. The 22oz bombers were $5.99 each. Would I buy again? Without question....yes! (994 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

This was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a murky hazy peach coloration. The head was thick at first but resolved into a ring of foam. The head was a fluffy creamed honey coloration. Thick strands of lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: The beer is a hop explosion. There is a solid juicy grapefruit, lemon zest, pine resin assault. There is a huge spicy clove, bananna and cinnomon prescence in the beer.

Taste: This is a nearly perfect hop bomb. There is a load of juicy grapefruit, lemon zest and piney taste. The beer has a very pleasing spice component. There is a pleasing cloves and cinamon combo. This has a very nice malty bready compliment to the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a full bodied beer. The balance of the beer may be slightly off but it is a treat. This is a very drinkable and sessionable beer. (856 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

This is my favorite beer. Amarillo Hops gives it a Grapefruit smell and Citrus taste. Perfect amount of bubbles.The Malt and Wheat makes it Warm and fuzzy in the winter but light and very refreshing in summer. I realize now I am a lucky SOB living in the the land of 3 Floyds. (276 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

Light to medium gold, sediment in the bottom of the bottle, moderate head, lots of carbonation. Lemon, citrus grapefruit all in one, yum yum. Light crip, lemony grapefruit. finishes clean. Super summer beer. Full of flavor without any heaviness. I could really put these down. Edit: the more I drank this there were peach undertones that started to come out. (358 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Fresh bomber of Gumballhead is always a refreshing sight in my fridge. Pours a brilliant golden orange color with a creamy arid two finger head on top that leaves sticky lacing on my pint glass. Aroma is a blast of lovely tropical Amarillo hop goodness. Fresh cut, juicy pineapple slices, oranges, mangoes....herbal, oily, resinous. Underneath is a crisp, fresh wheaty lemony body. Still the most lush, aromatic American wheat beer that has ever graced my nostrils. Yum.

First sip brings a rush of vine ripened lovely hoppiness. Sublimely fruity with notes of pineapple, orange, lemon, and just a hint of herbal pine resin as well. A nicely creamy wheat grain background...sweet with a hint of astrigent husk on the back of the palate. Mellow bitterness throughout makes this the ultimate summer quencher. The best American wheat beer hands down...brilliantly hopped and just so damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Rolls over the palate smoothly...being light enough to still be refreshing. This is probably my all time favorite summer brew as I could drink it by the case no problem. I wouldn't mind seeing this in six packs...as it would be a bit more convenient. All in all...this is a great wheat beer. (1,218 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a rich golden colour. Opaque and murky. Lots of yeast and some floaty sediment thingys. Moderate head, with nice lacing. The head stuck around for half the beer. Very hoppy aroma, high notes of citrus. Tastes of yummy hops and lemon hangings around for a little bit. Very tasty. Perfectly carbonated. Bites to the end. I could drink this all afternoon. (358 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

I said god damn, god damn. What have we here? It's a wheat & it is spectacular. Poured this bad boy into a glass & it was cloudy, straw colored, & held a perfect white bubbly head. Holy crap - the aroma is a regular thing of beauty. When 3 Floyd's writes that they add "a boatload of amarillo hops" on the bottle's label - they are telling the truth. Every sip is better than the one before it. Hops are everywhere, but the wheat flavor is still there to keep this brew clean & refreshing. The hop profile is wonderful - floral & citrus fruit (lemon, orange, grapefruit). Drinkability is absurd. If possible, I would drink this for breakfast, lunch, & dinner for the months of April through August for the rest of my life. To quote andre 3000, "I think I'm in love again...". (775 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.