Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,475 | Hads: 5,388

One of the best beers that I have had in my life. It is a very smooth beer that tastes good as well. I hope everyone gets to try this in their lifetime. It is hard to get as it is rare to see in many liquor stores except for maybe once a month in some. There is a really nice beer bar in my college town that cycles through most of these top 250 beers a lot, but it's still hard to come by.

Wow. Such a simple beer, but has to be one of my all-time favorites. I could drink this beer all day every day, and have traded for it twice already. I'm even considering brewing a clone of it.

Anyway, it's fresh, citrusy, slightly sweet (tropical fruit), piney, and not bitter at all. It's like all the best flavors of the (Amarillo) hop, with none of the bitterness. I'm thinking the wheat-backbone is what does it. I'd call this beer a gateway beer, as it could ease one into trying hops without being knocked over by acidity and bitterness.

Love love love Gumballhead. He's kinda cute too.

12 oz bottle. Superfresh.

As I've gotten older I've become less impressed with the Xtreme. Yeah a hop bomb is nice, here and again. But they're easier to brew than you might think, and there's really not much room to move and innovate when you're going overboard. And, really, who the hell can drink that much regularly? Sometimes I don't want to get plastered off of one beer.

So then what's the best beer in the world? Rogue's stouts, Chocolate and Shakespeare, both make good cases for themselves. But in spite of their perfection they're really rich. I mean, yeah, they're f'in perfect. But you can't picture yourself drinking them like water, can you? As regular as clockwork, as much of a nonevent as it is a beautiful, glorious affirmation of something or other?

What's more perfect, your wife or a supermodel? Honestly? Both are valid choices, I think. Different personalities will choose differently. There is in my opinion a miracle in regularity. If something can be super enjoyable on a regular basis then it's better that something that can be overwhelmingly enjoyable once or twice in your entire lifetime. I'd rather have a really nice job than get to go on an awesome vacation for one week a year, is what I'm saying.

And here comes Gumballhead, the best beer that's ever been brewed anywhere by anybody. The hop profile is perfect. The pour is perfect. The aroma is like an herb garden that fucked a flower and had a bunch of a cute little pink and green babies. It's not overwhelming. It's just... it's just perfect.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Served out of a bottle, into a small tupil glass. This beer pours nicely with a one-two finger head. Very nice!

A: awesome, love everything about it. From the packing to the bottle, to the color of the beer. A nice, slightly hazey orange/yellow.

S: Wow, not what you'd expect for a wheat beer. Smells more like a quality IPA. Very fruity/citrusy. You can smell the sweetness.

T: Amazing is all I can say. Amazingly drinkable and satisfying. Makes you wanna take another drink instantly. Great hoppy, citrusy, sweet profile that is incredibly smooth.

MF: Smooth, slightly oily and nice somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Very enjoyable, to say the least.

Overall, I drink this beer almost as much as I can - when I can find it! It's not an easy one to locate and I can see why. Another great offering from FFF.

22 oz. bomber served in a Pilsner glass 2006 release
Pours a surprising clear yellow-orange. I thought there would be cloudiness to it but there was none. Nice 1 inch white head that lasted a while and left great lacing. Slightly more carbonation than your average beer. Good pop on the nose. Great grassy aromas with a touch of citrus. Flavor was outstanding. Probably the best example of the style, at least that I've had. Grass and citrus with a yeasty, hoppy finish. AMAZING. Not heavy on the pallet making this very easy to drink. This is a great beer for the warmer season coming up.

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a hazy copper with a thin white head. Lacing is leaving thick bands on my glass.

Smell is very amarillo dominated. I thought for a second that I was sticking my face in a box of Fruity Pebbles, mmmm.

And the taste, holy crap is that stuff good. It's hop heavy with just tons of sweet smooth amarillos, but the balance is there most definitely. Citrus flavors move in and out on the tongue at different times.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and that sets it head and shoulders above all the other American wheat beers.

Drinkability is insane, one bottle was not enough, it is so good I and low abv and smoothness makes me just want to drink this all afternoon on the back porch. Summer beer of the year this year for sure!

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured 12oz bottle into a Guinness pint glass.

Pours a beautiful golden body with a bright white head that stays most of the way through. It leaves a nice white film on the glass with every drink. Smell is of hops and wheat. The smell is pretty straight-forward, nothing crazy going on there, but doesn't need to be. The taste is great, has good mellow hop taste with a wheat finish. Great balance between the two. Mouthful is what is to be expected of a great wheat beer, very thin, but that is a good thing. Overall this beer ranks up with my favorites. Believe it or not I'm not a huge wheat beer fan, but the blend of hops just makes this perfect. Great sessionable beer that you can drink on a hot summer day or a cold winters night.

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

I love this beer!! SO deliscious, I get it everytime I am in the Indiana Area. Just a great beer all around. I highly suggest you try it, it's much better on tap but I would never ever turn down a bottle! I suppose I have to make this review a bit longer. Let's see 3 Floyds is an awesome place to check out. One of my favorite breweries to visit. The only downside of it is their menu, not much to eat there

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured a 22oz bomber into a tall boy. The minute I took the first whiff I knew I was going to love this one. Nice golden haze with an inch of white head. Lacing follows all the way to the last sip. Hoppy citrus at the nose. Nice hop bittnerness rounded out with smooth citrus notes. Superb mouthfeel with a crisp, refreshing citrus finish. This is a fantastic beer. The best way to sum this up is a Corona commercial. A perfect summertime beer with all the refreshment one could ask for. No lime needed here folks. Three Floyd's does it again. For me this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. I probably love it so much because of the APA characteristics it has. If you didn't see wheat written on the bottle you would have no idea it was one. If you are a big fan of the wheat taste you may not be too impressed here. Glad I have a nice stash of these to enjoy over the winter. Very expensive for me though. The 22oz bombers were $5.99 each. Would I buy again? Without question....yes!

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

This was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a murky hazy peach coloration. The head was thick at first but resolved into a ring of foam. The head was a fluffy creamed honey coloration. Thick strands of lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: The beer is a hop explosion. There is a solid juicy grapefruit, lemon zest, pine resin assault. There is a huge spicy clove, bananna and cinnomon prescence in the beer.

Taste: This is a nearly perfect hop bomb. There is a load of juicy grapefruit, lemon zest and piney taste. The beer has a very pleasing spice component. There is a pleasing cloves and cinamon combo. This has a very nice malty bready compliment to the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a full bodied beer. The balance of the beer may be slightly off but it is a treat. This is a very drinkable and sessionable beer.

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

This is my favorite beer. Amarillo Hops gives it a Grapefruit smell and Citrus taste. Perfect amount of bubbles.The Malt and Wheat makes it Warm and fuzzy in the winter but light and very refreshing in summer. I realize now I am a lucky SOB living in the the land of 3 Floyds.

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

Light to medium gold, sediment in the bottom of the bottle, moderate head, lots of carbonation. Lemon, citrus grapefruit all in one, yum yum. Light crip, lemony grapefruit. finishes clean. Super summer beer. Full of flavor without any heaviness. I could really put these down. Edit: the more I drank this there were peach undertones that started to come out.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Fresh bomber of Gumballhead is always a refreshing sight in my fridge. Pours a brilliant golden orange color with a creamy arid two finger head on top that leaves sticky lacing on my pint glass. Aroma is a blast of lovely tropical Amarillo hop goodness. Fresh cut, juicy pineapple slices, oranges, mangoes....herbal, oily, resinous. Underneath is a crisp, fresh wheaty lemony body. Still the most lush, aromatic American wheat beer that has ever graced my nostrils. Yum.

First sip brings a rush of vine ripened lovely hoppiness. Sublimely fruity with notes of pineapple, orange, lemon, and just a hint of herbal pine resin as well. A nicely creamy wheat grain background...sweet with a hint of astrigent husk on the back of the palate. Mellow bitterness throughout makes this the ultimate summer quencher. The best American wheat beer hands down...brilliantly hopped and just so damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Rolls over the palate smoothly...being light enough to still be refreshing. This is probably my all time favorite summer brew as I could drink it by the case no problem. I wouldn't mind seeing this in six packs...as it would be a bit more convenient. All in all...this is a great wheat beer.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a rich golden colour. Opaque and murky. Lots of yeast and some floaty sediment thingys. Moderate head, with nice lacing. The head stuck around for half the beer. Very hoppy aroma, high notes of citrus. Tastes of yummy hops and lemon hangings around for a little bit. Very tasty. Perfectly carbonated. Bites to the end. I could drink this all afternoon.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

I said god damn, god damn. What have we here? It's a wheat & it is spectacular. Poured this bad boy into a glass & it was cloudy, straw colored, & held a perfect white bubbly head. Holy crap - the aroma is a regular thing of beauty. When 3 Floyd's writes that they add "a boatload of amarillo hops" on the bottle's label - they are telling the truth. Every sip is better than the one before it. Hops are everywhere, but the wheat flavor is still there to keep this brew clean & refreshing. The hop profile is wonderful - floral & citrus fruit (lemon, orange, grapefruit). Drinkability is absurd. If possible, I would drink this for breakfast, lunch, & dinner for the months of April through August for the rest of my life. To quote andre 3000, "I think I'm in love again...".

A- Golden Hue, big head that doesn't last too long
S- Insane Hops aromatics(but that is to be expected from FFF), maybe a bit of orange?

T- Big Hops, good wheat to balance the hops....nice and light, but hearty at the same time

M- Good body, nice and light-like a good summer beer should be

D- Awesome....once the 6rs come out it will be a staple...

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Brilliant golden color with a nice fluffy white head poured into a weizen glass. Nice fragrant, sweet and fruity citric hops. Some candy like sweetness in there, and a hint of wheat as it warms, but the hops are the star. Taste is smooth, balanced, yet hops play a big role in the taste as well and make the flavor pop unlike in any wheat beer I’ve ever had. Subtle, and slightly lingering wheat finish. The hops are so crisp, bright, and refreshingly flavorful with the perfect amount of bitterness. Wow, this is simply awesome. I wish this were available in Texas. Damn near perfect. One of my favorite beers, and FFF's hop profile is probably the cleanest, most citrusy and refreshing that I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

A: 12 oz. brown bottle with the Gumballhead the cat comic character well in focus in the center of the label. A solid 1/2" of frothy white head rests on top of a beautiful, slightly hazy, golden liquid and leaves excellent lace on the glass as it slowly fades.

S: Amazing! The Amarillo hops really come through as they lay down the typical citrus grapefruit aroma. The label doesn't mention it, but this beer screams dry-hopped. It just has that distinct hop aroma that can only come from dry-hopping... very sappy and tangy.

T: The sweetness from the wheat comes through at the beginning, but quickly vanishes and takes a backseat to the hops. Did I mention I think this beer is heavily dry-hopped? There's no mistaking that dry-hop flavor at this point. I LOVE IT! The hops aren't so much bitter at this point, as much as I would say tart (if that makes sense) being balanced by the tropical fruits and somewhat hidden malt profile. The lemony finish as stated on the bottle hits the nail on the head with more citrus on the back of the tongue. The hop flavor really lingers on the tongue after each swallow. You'll get no complaints from this hophead as far as that is concerned.

M: Light-Medium

D: With the low ABV and tremendous flavor, I would call this a very sessionable beer for a hophead. I'm drinking this as slow as I can to still be able to call myself a beer geek, but I feel like I'm damn near chugging it.

Notes: I'd say this is a shoe-in for my favorite wheat beer of all time.

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Another great beer from a local brewery 3 Floyds. The bottle displays a yellow dog with a black eye and cigarette hanging out of the right side of his mouth,

A- Golden yellow with a medium thick frothy head. Nice bubbles. Sticky lacing with good retention.

S- Hops. Hops. Hops. The floral hops dominate the nose, a true hop fans wheat style beer. Pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon zest.

T- Incredible, the hops are very apparent but not overwhelming. This brew is almost a cross between a pale and a wheat, beautifully done.

M- Kisses my tongue with delicious bitterness and floral hops.

D- Bring on some more!

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

22oz bomber, with the street-fighting cartoon cat "Gumballhead" on the label.

I figured it's about time for me to finally review this beer, as I've been drinking it all summer long. Graciously stocked (upon request) at HyVee Wine & Spirits locally..to my knowledge..it was the first place in Iowa to stock it. I'm quickly beginning to think that Three Floyds is the best craft brewery in America.

Hands-down, the best summer session beer I've ever had, and I really can't imagine it getting much better than this. While reading some other reviews, someone commented by saying this beer is a "delicate tribute to hops". I think that describes it just about perfectly. The hops are not overwhelming, but go so incredibly well with the pale, wheat flavor & aroma. Citrusy & delicious...one of the most well-crafted beers I've ever had, period.

If the comic book is as good as the beer, I just might have to take up reading.

4.91/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Nice color, with a very nice head

S - Fruity and the pine from the hops

T - Citrus, lemon and hoppy, a bit of sweetness

M - High carbonation, the finish is dry

O - Another fine offering from Three Floyds, maybe my favorite so far, very highly drinkable, almost a 5.

4.91/5  rDev +16.4%

Thanks Robwestcott!

Appearance: Pale gold color, slightly greenish. White head that dissipates to a thin layer, no lacing.

Smell: Juicy hops. Wheat comes through but far in the background.

Taste: Follows the nose. Low bitter taste and no sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Thin and good amount of carb. Dry finish. Drinkable.

Overall: Try this beer! Its great for drinking. I would love to have this on a hot summer day. Would trade pretty much anything for this beer.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

22oz bottle poured into a 12oz pilsner glass.

Gumballhead's label portrays a pissed off cat smoking a cigarette and riding a bike. (His head is in the shape of a gumball.)

A violent cyclone of bubbles rush to the surface, each fighting for position to penetrate the smooth, delicate lacey head like molten lava from deep within this beer's delicious core. Pouring a light amber, this brew smells as good as it tastes with scents of hopped up peach and apricot. Hops? Yes hops! This isn't just any normal wheat beer.

And now for the first sip! Incredible! The master brewers at Three Floyds have clearly fused the hop vine and the peach tree in an evil lab experiment gone wrong (I mean, right)! These two flavours are perfectly balanced. A fruity sensation dominates the palate before the army of hops overtake everything in their path. Don't get me wrong -- this beer is not overwhelming, it's endlessly drinkable and I'd say damn near perfect, too.

I've been waiting for almost a year to write a beer review and tonight I came to the conclusion that Gumballhead would be fit for my first. I've recently moved to Chicago from Connecticut where we cannot find Three Floyds. Now that I'm here, I treat myself to a bomber or two of Gumball every week. I have even been considering driving the 900 miles back home so that I could stop at the brewery to pick up a keg to share with my friends. At almost $6.00 a bottle, this brew isn't cheap, but like they say -- you get what you pay for. I think I've found my favorite beer.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

Wow! What a beer. Why I passed this one up previously is beyond comprehension. Thanks to nlmartin for this bomber.

Pours a nice, clear color with about an inch and a half of bright white head. Head last for about half of the glass leaving some light specks of lacing.

The aroma is more than enough to satisfy. Hops are abundant, which is something that sets this beer apart. Citrus and some wheat, but as it warms I get some .... wait, maybe I just looked at the label too much .... no, it is bubble gum. Sweet, sticky and chewy bubble gum. Wow.

And the flavor .... ahhh, the flavor. All of the above and then some. Citrusy hops, nice wheat backbone, some sweet candied sugar in the back. Love it. I can't believe I didn't buy this when I could get it. I will not make that mistake again.

Exceptionally smooth medium body. Nicely carbonated. Slight bitterness in the aftertaste reminds you about the hops. Drinkability .... you're kidding, right? I could drink this beer all afternoon and night and into the early morning. Or at least until I see those little green fairies I was looking for when I had that Absinthe. Amazing beer. Great job 3F's.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

Not enough can be said for this brew. When fresh, it is truly one of the best beers in the world.

A - Golden, radiant and translucent, with a lightly frothy head.

S - Huge Amarillo hop; orange-dank, citrus-resiny, like fruity cannabis. As the glass empties, the aromatic dominance subsides, but the flavor does not. It seems to work better that way; it keeps the hop from overwhelming.

T - The quality and level of fruity-bitter interplay is perhaps unparalleled in my beer drinking experience. The most delicious lingering hop... I really like this better than nearly any IPA, save for Jai Alai and Sculpin, for my hop fix. The pale malt is so deliciously dry and sharp, it really provides the perfect base for the exposition of humulus splendor. The Amarillo hop provides boundless orange-tangerine-dank-earthy bitterness, I really can't get enough. Nor can I adequately describe how delicious it really is.

M - Lighter-bodied and tremendously refreshing. Carbonation fades too fast, and that is probably the only flaw in this brew.

D - Beyond recommended.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.