Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,481 | Hads: 5,431
3.84/5  rDev -9%

Hazy orange appearamce with a lot of yeast residue floating in the glass
Smelled pretty good. Hoppy and malty
Taste: Hops, malt, crisp wheat taste
Mouthfeel was pretty decent. Crisp and smooth with a nice hop bite
Drinkability was ok. Not great, but pretty damn good for a normally bland style

3.84/5  rDev -9%

A: Cloudy shade of golden yellow with a thin, short-lived white head.

S: Very nice fruity hops over a strong pale malt smell. Strong banana and pear aromas.

T: Nice bitter pale malt and hop interplay mingled with wheat and some fruity yeast. The flavor starts out a little on the sweeter side and finishes with a bitter, bready snap.

M: Seems a little thin and under-carbonated, but this seems to be pretty typical of the style. Still, I can think of several with better body (esp. Oberon).

This is a good APWA and easy to drink. Still the combination of sweetness and thin body prevent me from rating it higher, despite it being one of the better options within the style.

Thanks to Drew for tossing this in!

3.84/5  rDev -9%

poured into my alesmith pint glass. a rather aggressive pour produces a minimal half finger of off white fluffy head. the beer seems to glow a hazy pale gold. a moderate amount of lacing clings to the edges of my glass.

smell is solid. nice citrus nose. its hard for me to pin what im smelling with this but i like it. subtle sweetness. a slight whisper of hops.

taste is good. very smooth. i am picking up a subtle flavor of sweet/citrusy hops. lemon, some orange zest perhaps and to go completely cliche grapefruit. the flavor is balanced out well. the life of a wheat ale must be a good one.

mouth feel is ok. slightly overly carbonated. that would be my biggest gripe with this beer. my tongue is attacked by the fizziness. even near the bottom of the glass i can still conjure a half finger of head by giving it a bit of a spin.

overall this is a good beer. and i am not disappointed but im not sure this is what i was expecting the beer that i got. i would visit here again if i had the chance. maybe i just had a fizzy bottle. but other than that good job three floyds.

3.84/5  rDev -9%

No freshness date. I really love the packaging on this one, very unique.

Poured a crystal clear, straw/light orange color. Nice 1/4 head with minimal lacing in my traditional pint glass.

I have had fresh Gumballhead off the tap at the FFF brewery, but I have reason to believe this bottle was older (6+ months old). I didn't get alot off the nose on this pour. Light hops and malts, but nothing too distinguishible.

Taste is light, dry and crisp with dried hops. Well balanced and very enjoyable. This is an amazing session beer for me. Goes down very easily.

Very unique and definitely worth a try (Though, preferrably very fresh).

Three Floyd's ROCK.

3.84/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a straw golden color with a clingy head that starts at one finger and dissipates. Cloud is quite mild for a wheat.

Aroma is amarillos on the front. The hops dominate the aroma with no malt aromas present. Citrus hops really do dominate the nose.

Flavor opens with earthy hops. I say earthy because that is what I get from amarillo. Hop yield to citrus and grapefruit. Malt is lacking, there is nothing there for a wheat twang that I expect from a wheat beer. Lemon is the predominate flavor. Finishes sweet and hoppy, bitter and citrus.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with decent carbonation. Very refreshing with the lemony hop hit.

Overall a very refreshing hop forward beer that I would strain to call a wheat. That being said, it tastes good, and 3F has never been known for sticking to style.

3.84/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color with a small, bubbly, white colored head, that disappears fairly rapidly leaving a large bubbled, sudsy ring. Not really any lacing and no visible carbonation.

A fairly potent aroma, strong in Amarillo hops, consisting mostly of citrus notes and a bit of pineapple, but there is also a touch of caramel and maybe a hint of sweet grain.

Flavor-wise, I had high hopes considering the amazing aroma, however the flavor is considerably toned down comparatively speaking. Once again the Amarillo shines through, bringing a bouquet of citrus and pineapple flavors. Additionally I pick up the sweet grainy flavors from the wheat. The hops flavor and aromas are abundant, however the bitterness is perfectly balanced.

Gumballhead is pretty light on the tongue with a slightly watery texture and very subdued carbonation. I felt the beer was a decent representation of an American Wheat, but honestly it doesn't hold a candle to NG's Crack'd Wheat (which I consider an American Wheat even though it's fermented with Hefe yeast). I don't think I'll pick up anymore, not when I have a tastier and easier to find American Wheat option right in my own backyard. Not to mention there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON this should cost $11 a six-pack.

3.84/5  rDev -9%

Clear gold pour with a small white head. Nice juicy mango and grapefruit aroma with some grassy wheat maltiness. Estery citrus flavor with a fair amount of piny hop bitterness on the finish and a note of clover honey. Medium-thin body with lots of tingly carbonation. What an awesome summertime beer. I wish I could buy it locally. I would drink the crap out of this stuff!

3.84/5  rDev -9%

A: Lovely yellow/orange color, looks a bit like apple juice. Poured three quarters of an inch of head that settled to thin layer on top with lacing on sides.

S: My first instinct is hoppier than I expected, but the more I smell, the more it seems to smell like sparkling grape juice (the non-alcoholic stuff), which I really like.

T: Starts with some citrus and then the wheat completely dominates, but as it lingers you get some of the orange like citrus back. Very nice.

M: Maybe a bit thin, but not water by any stretch

D: I could definitely drink a sixer. There is no alcohol taste anywhere. I almost can't help but down this thing in a few minutes. The flavor just completely dominates the palate and leaves you with an almost dry mouth that needs something to wet it, oh and look I've got a beer in front of me, I'll use this.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Rereview after almost three years. I'm still not a big fan of highly hopped wheats or American pale wheats, but here goes. From one of the new 12 oz bottles, this pours a hazy canary yellow body with over an inch of creamy white head. Good retention and extravagant lacing make for an excellent appearance. Bold aroma of pine cones, grapefruit, and a hint of yeast. Medium to light medium body with strong carbonation. Taste is aggressively hopped. Pine cone and citrus rind run amok. Black pepper and lemon hints underneath. Granted, the hops elevate this above its mundane style but the hop bitterness seems somehow out of place. Still, a good summer thirst quencher.

Poured from a 12oz bottle:

A: The beer poured a hazy golden color with a nice thick white head. Nothing special, but the color was a bit darker than other Pale Wheat Ales I have tried.

S: A little lemon with some grain and hops noticeable.

T: Better than I expected. I am not a big fan of the Pale Wheat, but this one was surprising. Most Pale Wheat Ales I have tried to date lack any real flavor. This one had a really nice balance of the grapefruit/lemon, hops and some wheat. Very well done for the style.

M/D: The beer was light and easy to drink. Overall, I was very surprised and I enjoyed the beer. I may have to give it another shot just to see if it will grow on me. Very good beer.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle (thx ChicagoJohn) into a tulip. Pours a pale golden color w/ a frothy bright white head, moderate carbonation, good lacing.

Aroma is perfumy and a little musty, floral hops and perhaps a Belgian yeast strain? Can't be sure where this wet basement smell is coming from.

Taste is hoppy up front, balanced by the soft wheat malt. Brassy Amarillo hops give it a sharp bitter punch and then the neutral malt washes it down. Easy to drink but not especially interesting.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, watery.

Overall... eh. Maybe a good lawnmower beer but nothing I'd seek out again. Good for what it is I guess but I don't get how this made #45 on the top 100 "beers of fame" list. It just isn't all that great.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a weizen glass.

Many thanks to nisjer05 for picking this one up.
Very clear bright golden yellow color, with a one inch fluffy white head, that decipates quickly with lots of sticky lacing. Slight piney,citrusy smell with a hint of wheat and maybe lemon. This brew reminded me of lemon flavored ice tea, with a slight hopey bitterness at the end. A medium-light bodied feel with little carbonation.
I would consider this a good session brew. Low alcohol content and a light bodied feel makes for easy drinkin'. I will plan on heading to Toledo sometime soon to pick up some more of Three Floyds brews.

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured a cloudy yellow gold with an attractive white head. As the head dissipated, a small amount of sticky lace dotted the glass. The smell was that of sweet citrus fruits and mild hops. I really like the way this beer tastes...and I'm not a wheat beer fan. This is nothing like a wheat beer in my opinion. It's more like a hopped up, non-filtered pale ale. Very easy to drink, very easy to like. I would love to have this as a staple in my fridge but alas, FFF doesn't get this far south.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

Purchased a 6-pack and poured the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Transparent gold in color. Thin foamy head that doesn't stick around very long.

S: I instantly smelled piney hops which was surprising since it's listed as a wheat beer. Slight smell of citrus too.

T: Pine was the dominant flavor, but the wheat and citrus also came through. Bitter at the tail end and not as wheat flavored as expected.

M: Very refreshing and drinkable. Leaves the mouth somewhat dry which may account for why I found myself drinking this beer very quickly.

O: Another quality beer from FFF. This beer is a good session beer. Refreshing and enjoyable.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

22oz bomber poured into a weizen glass. Thanks to demcorhip for getting this one for me!

Pours a hazey, unfiltered golden straw colour with a massive full 2 inches of frothy head off a vigorous pour, a bit of fizzy wet lace sticks around a bit after the head recedes. Carbonation is very mellow, and unfortunately after a few sips this beer just ends up looking a bit on the flat side. Aroma is more muted than I expected, but there's some resiny hops. Pine, grapefruit overtop of more typical wheat aromas, bready with some banana, clove, and surprise, bubblegum. Oddly enough as well, a bit of mustiness.

Taste is straight up intriguing, a hearty and full flavoured mix of hops (grapefruit, pine, herbs (medicinal), pepper, and maybe some juniper?) with bready malt with some tasty yeast flavours, bubblegum sweetness with a bit of banana, apple, pear, and clove. Lighter body keeps this really drinkable though, carbonation isn't too obnoxious either, which is nice. Nice balance, full of flavour, and certainly better than most beers I've had in this style.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

poured from bottle into boulevard wheat glass.

Pours a translucent gold with mild carbonation visible. 1-finger/white head.

The nose contained lots of citrus, specifically lemon zestiness. I can pick up on the wheat as well. As some have said, I noticed some spiciness.

flavor goes along pretty well with the nose. Lots of lemon zest and the wheat comes through to balance. Its a pretty good, refreshing flavor, but not quite on par with the other FFF beers I have had.

Light bodied, with medium carbonation. Little spicy burn.

Above average beer. I would buy another 6-pack.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dennis: Three Floyd's is a very frustrating brewery for me. In many way I want to love them, but in other's they just exasperate me so much it's not funny. For example, I can get a bomber of Hog Heaven by Avery for $4.99, meanwhile I could drive to this brewery and I'm paying almost 6 bucks for this brew. That's the main reason we haven't tried so many of their other brands. That and, so far almost all of them have exhibited the same hop combination. Don't get me wrong, the first time I had dreadnaught or pride and joy I was exuberant, but i'm looking for a little diversity here. At 5%, this is a super, uber hoppy wheat beer. Tastes great, goes down super easy....but at the price I think it's just overrated.
Jen: From first whiff I knew that this was going to be different. I don't normally expect to smell hops, but that is all I could smell. Although shocked, I was looking forward to my first sip. All I could taste at first was the hops, but after I swallowed, I got a definite taste of wheat and a slight honey that was fun. This may be low in ABV, but it is definitely good. Light and crisp and it goes down smoothly.

3.81/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into pint glass. Bottled 5/30/14
*First GBH since lable change... flavor change too?

A- Light golden. Thin head with lacing
S- Big roasted malts, cracked wheat
T- Super light maltyness with a tiny bit of hops on the back.
M - Smooth and a bit thin, but ok for style

O- I may be going crazy, but this tastes a lot different than I remember. Gumballhead used to be a love it or hate it beer because of some big unique flavors. It seems like a watered down version of what it used to be... say it isn't always going to be like this.

3.81/5  rDev -9.7%

The beer pours slightly darker that traffic signal yellow, with a persistent head in keeping with the wheat, though it does not have that hefe cloudiness. The aroma is the real prize here, just overflowing with Amarillo hops, lemony and bright, just unstoppable. The flavor is more muted and even a little sweet. The hops come to the rescue, cutting a potentially saccharine beer down to size, and keeping the mouthfeel quite mild. A very drinkable brew. Certainly one of the stranger brews I've had, almost defying one to force-fit it into a BJCP category.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via trade. about two months old
A: slightly Cloudy

S: Wheat, Hops, a little sweet bread

T: might have been a little off as it was Not super fresh when I had it so I will need to re rate at a later date.

F: had a light feel decent finish.

O: Good beer but I might be great when fresh, I will visit again when a fresh bottle or tap is available

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Poured into a tulip glass. The liquid is a bright, hazy orange with tons of bubbles rising through it, and the pour kicks up a generous off-white head with remarkable staying power, and nice lacing.

Aroma is bigtime oranges and citrus, with a noticeable bready malt presence. There's a kind of creamy note to the aroma as well that's kind of hard to pin down. Smells like a well-balanced, creamy IPA.

The taste backs up all the hops from the nose, and then some - lots of grass up front, followed by a citrus punch before the bready malt comes in mid-palate. The malt somehow takes over on the finish, leaving you with more sweetness than bitterness, and the aftertaste is a nice mixture of the two. Some spiciness from the wheat emerges as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is ultra-silky. Medium-bodied, with tons of carbonation. I think it would actually have been better with a little bit less carbonation though, to let the silkiness really come out.

Overall, really nice, non-boring wheat beer that drinks like an IPA with the silkiest mouthfeel you'll ever get in an IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

We pour a brew the color of clean goldenrod. It holds a two finger head of off-white bubbles. These are on the bigger side and leave sticky, patterned lacing around the glass, as they recede at a medium pace. There is a thin, chill haze to the liquid, with average carbonation. The aroma opens with sweet, nectary grapefruit hops. They are beautifully fresh, and somewhat tart. Floral hops also weave in and out, mixing with pale grain, and some obvious wheat with warmth. There is a sweeter clove, but it is not phenolic, and it comes with allspice and warmth of booze. As we sip, the wheat takes you by surprise. This is full, and dominates the grain bill, more so than any other type of malts. Pale malts are in there, but mild. There is a copper twang, giving some bitterness. The front also exhibits those citric, bitter hops, as well as some clean, fruity hops. These enhance towards the middle, with pineapple and apricot. At times it appears that bubblegum esters are in the mix, but these are faint and way at the back of the profile. The hops enhance further, pulling us to the end where there is a whirlwind of grass, pine, and grapefruit, with stark chalky, sour wheat, and wet lemony rind. The aftertaste breathes of salt, wheat, rye, and clean citric hops. The body is lighter, and the carbonation on the high end. The feel to each sip is actually a bit thin, appearing watery at times. There is decent slurp, and little pop. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the hops blending with the warmer spice in both the nose and the mouth. The hops were incredibly fresh, making for an inviting beverage. The flavor did not disappoint, and presented the wheat up front and with force, in a no-nonsense manner. With such a robust punch, however, we thought that the feel should have been fuller and creamier.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Got this one in a trade with Mynie, thanks bro. Drank this one in a mini gathering session with fellow BAs chonyr and raider. Not much emphasis on wheat, best considered a mild wheat IPA?

This ale poured a light golden amber with a thin creamy head. Nice this lacings present.

Caramel, some wheat and some wheat nuttiness, with big grapefruit and piney hoppiness.

This is one hoppy wheat beer, emphasis definately more on the hops than the wheat. The wheat is present, as well as some sweeter caramel like maltiness, but the dominating flavours are the grapefruit and piney hops. Its unfortunate the wheat didnt take more of a role in this beer, as i really enjoy a wheaty wheat beer, perhaps growing up on a wheat farm in Saskatchewan has something to do with my opinions...

Good mouthfeel in this well carbonated light bodied beer, although balanced much more towards the hops than the wheat, with a big hop fullness.

This would make a great session brew for someone looking for big hops. It was a refreshing brew that would go great on a hot summer night. Would also be a great beer to introduce one to hoppier styles. Glad i tried this one, but wont be looking for this one to satisfy my cravings for a good wheat beer, and ill probably stick to Alpha King or IPAs when i have a hankering for hoppy beer.

For a good wheat beer thats full of wheat flavour and true wheat gumminess i will stick to Capital Island Wheat, its like chewing on wheat from a bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Bottle courtasy of d0b. This is my first three floyds beer.

Poured from a brow 12oz bottle into an oversized snifter. Nice 1 finger of white sudzy head sits there for a bit, settling with globby clump islands of bubbly retention.
Sticky bits of lace leave a few nice looking rings.
Color on this is a chill hazed golden darker yellow.

Lots of musty orange and grapefruit rind like hop aroma.A bit of a floral pedal kick and grassy hops as well. Somthing dusty.
Its sweet aswell, very nice for a wheat beer.

Crisp clean feel with a thin smoothly carbonated feel.
This isnt watery, its just so thin and easy drinking. The hops add another dimension with a dry bitter lingering of dust and sugar free grapefruit.
I get the faintest spice kick just into the swallow like most traditional wheat beers. Which then disappers just as quick.

I really dislike wheat beers. This is the first one that I would pay money for.
The hops make it drinkeable. Adding another dimension to the brew.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to deepsouth for this one.

Poured into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a slightly hazy straw with a small half a finger head that left just a tiny bit of lacing. The aroma is slightly happy, a hint of oranges, and a bit of a wheat tang. The taste is wheat in nature, a bit of coriander, but the flavor was mostly a slight hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Slight effervescent. This would be a great summer beer, when its hot and humid outside.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.