Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,468 | Hads: 5,334

Poured from a 12oz bottle:

A: The beer poured a hazy golden color with a nice thick white head. Nothing special, but the color was a bit darker than other Pale Wheat Ales I have tried.

S: A little lemon with some grain and hops noticeable.

T: Better than I expected. I am not a big fan of the Pale Wheat, but this one was surprising. Most Pale Wheat Ales I have tried to date lack any real flavor. This one had a really nice balance of the grapefruit/lemon, hops and some wheat. Very well done for the style.

M/D: The beer was light and easy to drink. Overall, I was very surprised and I enjoyed the beer. I may have to give it another shot just to see if it will grow on me. Very good beer. (695 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz bottle (thx ChicagoJohn) into a tulip. Pours a pale golden color w/ a frothy bright white head, moderate carbonation, good lacing.

Aroma is perfumy and a little musty, floral hops and perhaps a Belgian yeast strain? Can't be sure where this wet basement smell is coming from.

Taste is hoppy up front, balanced by the soft wheat malt. Brassy Amarillo hops give it a sharp bitter punch and then the neutral malt washes it down. Easy to drink but not especially interesting.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, watery.

Overall... eh. Maybe a good lawnmower beer but nothing I'd seek out again. Good for what it is I guess but I don't get how this made #45 on the top 100 "beers of fame" list. It just isn't all that great. (721 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a weizen glass.

Many thanks to nisjer05 for picking this one up.
Very clear bright golden yellow color, with a one inch fluffy white head, that decipates quickly with lots of sticky lacing. Slight piney,citrusy smell with a hint of wheat and maybe lemon. This brew reminded me of lemon flavored ice tea, with a slight hopey bitterness at the end. A medium-light bodied feel with little carbonation.
I would consider this a good session brew. Low alcohol content and a light bodied feel makes for easy drinkin'. I will plan on heading to Toledo sometime soon to pick up some more of Three Floyds brews. (639 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured a cloudy yellow gold with an attractive white head. As the head dissipated, a small amount of sticky lace dotted the glass. The smell was that of sweet citrus fruits and mild hops. I really like the way this beer tastes...and I'm not a wheat beer fan. This is nothing like a wheat beer in my opinion. It's more like a hopped up, non-filtered pale ale. Very easy to drink, very easy to like. I would love to have this as a staple in my fridge but alas, FFF doesn't get this far south. (490 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Purchased a 6-pack and poured the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Transparent gold in color. Thin foamy head that doesn't stick around very long.

S: I instantly smelled piney hops which was surprising since it's listed as a wheat beer. Slight smell of citrus too.

T: Pine was the dominant flavor, but the wheat and citrus also came through. Bitter at the tail end and not as wheat flavored as expected.

M: Very refreshing and drinkable. Leaves the mouth somewhat dry which may account for why I found myself drinking this beer very quickly.

O: Another quality beer from FFF. This beer is a good session beer. Refreshing and enjoyable. (642 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

22oz bomber poured into a weizen glass. Thanks to demcorhip for getting this one for me!

Pours a hazey, unfiltered golden straw colour with a massive full 2 inches of frothy head off a vigorous pour, a bit of fizzy wet lace sticks around a bit after the head recedes. Carbonation is very mellow, and unfortunately after a few sips this beer just ends up looking a bit on the flat side. Aroma is more muted than I expected, but there's some resiny hops. Pine, grapefruit overtop of more typical wheat aromas, bready with some banana, clove, and surprise, bubblegum. Oddly enough as well, a bit of mustiness.

Taste is straight up intriguing, a hearty and full flavoured mix of hops (grapefruit, pine, herbs (medicinal), pepper, and maybe some juniper?) with bready malt with some tasty yeast flavours, bubblegum sweetness with a bit of banana, apple, pear, and clove. Lighter body keeps this really drinkable though, carbonation isn't too obnoxious either, which is nice. Nice balance, full of flavour, and certainly better than most beers I've had in this style. (1,064 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dennis: Three Floyd's is a very frustrating brewery for me. In many way I want to love them, but in other's they just exasperate me so much it's not funny. For example, I can get a bomber of Hog Heaven by Avery for $4.99, meanwhile I could drive to this brewery and I'm paying almost 6 bucks for this brew. That's the main reason we haven't tried so many of their other brands. That and, so far almost all of them have exhibited the same hop combination. Don't get me wrong, the first time I had dreadnaught or pride and joy I was exuberant, but i'm looking for a little diversity here. At 5%, this is a super, uber hoppy wheat beer. Tastes great, goes down super easy....but at the price I think it's just overrated.
Jen: From first whiff I knew that this was going to be different. I don't normally expect to smell hops, but that is all I could smell. Although shocked, I was looking forward to my first sip. All I could taste at first was the hops, but after I swallowed, I got a definite taste of wheat and a slight honey that was fun. This may be low in ABV, but it is definitely good. Light and crisp and it goes down smoothly. (1,134 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into pint glass. Bottled 5/30/14
*First GBH since lable change... flavor change too?

A- Light golden. Thin head with lacing
S- Big roasted malts, cracked wheat
T- Super light maltyness with a tiny bit of hops on the back.
M - Smooth and a bit thin, but ok for style

O- I may be going crazy, but this tastes a lot different than I remember. Gumballhead used to be a love it or hate it beer because of some big unique flavors. It seems like a watered down version of what it used to be... say it isn't always going to be like this. (543 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%

The beer pours slightly darker that traffic signal yellow, with a persistent head in keeping with the wheat, though it does not have that hefe cloudiness. The aroma is the real prize here, just overflowing with Amarillo hops, lemony and bright, just unstoppable. The flavor is more muted and even a little sweet. The hops come to the rescue, cutting a potentially saccharine beer down to size, and keeping the mouthfeel quite mild. A very drinkable brew. Certainly one of the stranger brews I've had, almost defying one to force-fit it into a BJCP category. (557 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via trade. about two months old
A: slightly Cloudy

S: Wheat, Hops, a little sweet bread

T: might have been a little off as it was Not super fresh when I had it so I will need to re rate at a later date.

F: had a light feel decent finish.

O: Good beer but I might be great when fresh, I will visit again when a fresh bottle or tap is available (369 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. The liquid is a bright, hazy orange with tons of bubbles rising through it, and the pour kicks up a generous off-white head with remarkable staying power, and nice lacing.

Aroma is bigtime oranges and citrus, with a noticeable bready malt presence. There's a kind of creamy note to the aroma as well that's kind of hard to pin down. Smells like a well-balanced, creamy IPA.

The taste backs up all the hops from the nose, and then some - lots of grass up front, followed by a citrus punch before the bready malt comes in mid-palate. The malt somehow takes over on the finish, leaving you with more sweetness than bitterness, and the aftertaste is a nice mixture of the two. Some spiciness from the wheat emerges as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is ultra-silky. Medium-bodied, with tons of carbonation. I think it would actually have been better with a little bit less carbonation though, to let the silkiness really come out.

Overall, really nice, non-boring wheat beer that drinks like an IPA with the silkiest mouthfeel you'll ever get in an IPA. (1,074 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

We pour a brew the color of clean goldenrod. It holds a two finger head of off-white bubbles. These are on the bigger side and leave sticky, patterned lacing around the glass, as they recede at a medium pace. There is a thin, chill haze to the liquid, with average carbonation. The aroma opens with sweet, nectary grapefruit hops. They are beautifully fresh, and somewhat tart. Floral hops also weave in and out, mixing with pale grain, and some obvious wheat with warmth. There is a sweeter clove, but it is not phenolic, and it comes with allspice and warmth of booze. As we sip, the wheat takes you by surprise. This is full, and dominates the grain bill, more so than any other type of malts. Pale malts are in there, but mild. There is a copper twang, giving some bitterness. The front also exhibits those citric, bitter hops, as well as some clean, fruity hops. These enhance towards the middle, with pineapple and apricot. At times it appears that bubblegum esters are in the mix, but these are faint and way at the back of the profile. The hops enhance further, pulling us to the end where there is a whirlwind of grass, pine, and grapefruit, with stark chalky, sour wheat, and wet lemony rind. The aftertaste breathes of salt, wheat, rye, and clean citric hops. The body is lighter, and the carbonation on the high end. The feel to each sip is actually a bit thin, appearing watery at times. There is decent slurp, and little pop. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the hops blending with the warmer spice in both the nose and the mouth. The hops were incredibly fresh, making for an inviting beverage. The flavor did not disappoint, and presented the wheat up front and with force, in a no-nonsense manner. With such a robust punch, however, we thought that the feel should have been fuller and creamier. (1,883 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Got this one in a trade with Mynie, thanks bro. Drank this one in a mini gathering session with fellow BAs chonyr and raider. Not much emphasis on wheat, best considered a mild wheat IPA?

Appearance
This ale poured a light golden amber with a thin creamy head. Nice this lacings present.

Aroma
Caramel, some wheat and some wheat nuttiness, with big grapefruit and piney hoppiness.

Taste
This is one hoppy wheat beer, emphasis definately more on the hops than the wheat. The wheat is present, as well as some sweeter caramel like maltiness, but the dominating flavours are the grapefruit and piney hops. Its unfortunate the wheat didnt take more of a role in this beer, as i really enjoy a wheaty wheat beer, perhaps growing up on a wheat farm in Saskatchewan has something to do with my opinions...

Mouthfeel
Good mouthfeel in this well carbonated light bodied beer, although balanced much more towards the hops than the wheat, with a big hop fullness.

Drinkability
This would make a great session brew for someone looking for big hops. It was a refreshing brew that would go great on a hot summer night. Would also be a great beer to introduce one to hoppier styles. Glad i tried this one, but wont be looking for this one to satisfy my cravings for a good wheat beer, and ill probably stick to Alpha King or IPAs when i have a hankering for hoppy beer.

For a good wheat beer thats full of wheat flavour and true wheat gumminess i will stick to Capital Island Wheat, its like chewing on wheat from a bottle. (1,531 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottle courtasy of d0b. This is my first three floyds beer.

Poured from a brow 12oz bottle into an oversized snifter. Nice 1 finger of white sudzy head sits there for a bit, settling with globby clump islands of bubbly retention.
Sticky bits of lace leave a few nice looking rings.
Color on this is a chill hazed golden darker yellow.

Lots of musty orange and grapefruit rind like hop aroma.A bit of a floral pedal kick and grassy hops as well. Somthing dusty.
Its sweet aswell, very nice for a wheat beer.

Crisp clean feel with a thin smoothly carbonated feel.
This isnt watery, its just so thin and easy drinking. The hops add another dimension with a dry bitter lingering of dust and sugar free grapefruit.
I get the faintest spice kick just into the swallow like most traditional wheat beers. Which then disappers just as quick.

I really dislike wheat beers. This is the first one that I would pay money for.
The hops make it drinkeable. Adding another dimension to the brew. (983 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to deepsouth for this one.

Poured into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a slightly hazy straw with a small half a finger head that left just a tiny bit of lacing. The aroma is slightly happy, a hint of oranges, and a bit of a wheat tang. The taste is wheat in nature, a bit of coriander, but the flavor was mostly a slight hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Slight effervescent. This would be a great summer beer, when its hot and humid outside. (480 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

First ever bottle of Gumballhead. Poured a bottle into a pint glass. Had but a whisper of a head. Very light, transparent color with the slightest clouding. Very clear for a wheat beer. Smell is nice and hoppy, although fairly subdued, I must admit. Very nice and mild taste. This is one that goes down way easy...the kind I could put down one after another. This is a nice departure from the higher ABV beers I find myself largely attracted to these days.
It's strange, this beer doesn't knock my socks off, but it's so smooth and easy drinking, this would be Three Floyds answer to Coors, Bud, Miller Lite etc. This is a genuine everyday, all occasions drinker. (663 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

A- Golden slightly seethrough with quater inche head

S- A strong floral smell with a very crisp note

T- Hoppy yet not to much the wheat sstill comes through giving a very nice blend

M- Very active

D- Goes down well for being so hoppy the 22oz if enough for one sitting IMHO. (286 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to HosP for sending this one my way.

Pours an nice golden orange colour with little head, well carbonated. Smells like grapefruit and lemon very citrusy with a little hop aroma behind it all. Tastes really good lots of citrus there with a sweet hop on the palate, very refreshing. Left almost no aftertaste probably the only downside of this beer, but that might be just my personal taste. Drinks really well overall. Would love to drink this again. (457 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

A- pours a hazey golden color with a solid finger and a half of white sticky head. The head retention is great with some coating lacing.

S- Man this is on hoppy mother of a wheat brew. The Amarillo lends a citrus lemon peel and green leafy hop aromas. The wheat has a touch of spice and a dry cracked grain aroma. Finishes with an earthy tone.

T- starts off with a malt foundation with the wheat bringing a dry character. The hops add a great flourish of lemon and leafy cut grass flavors. Slight dusty character on the back end with the wheat adding a heft on the dry finish.

MF- smooth creamy mouthfeel with a medium body and average carbonation.

D- very drinkable with an assertive hop character. Bravo on breathing some life into a simple style. (754 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner hourglass

A- Deep hazy straw with a medium white head that dissipates to a thin film. Good lacing.

S- Light citrus and pineapple and a heavier cracker wheat aroma come through.

T- Getting less of the citrus and pineapple and more of the malt and bitterness. Some slight gumball flavor, not as much as expected. Has a nice residual citrus note.

M- Medium, not too much carbonation

O- A solid beer but was a bit let down. With a name like Gumballhead and being a wheat beer, I expected more of a hefe-weizen quality to it. (566 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz. bottle courtesy of Harpreet of Perry's....

Pours a very light pale color and just slightly hazy...I was expecting more from a wheat ale. The smell was definitely the highlight of this beer for me...A hopped up wheat is something new for me, but I love amarillo hops, and the smell is quite enjoyable. For all the good things I've heard about this beer, I was kind of let down by the taste. I was expecting alot of flavor, but got just a dry wheat flavor with little hop taste... Too light for my tastes. This beer is drinkable for sure, but I'm looking for a little more flavor in my wheat beers. (603 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Very white one finger head. Body has light haze and is a light amber and yellow/orange color. Very light lacing.

S - Not bitter at all. Definitely some wheat but also some slight sweet pineapple or red apple. Now I'm picking up some nice sweet hops.

T - Pretty average and a letdown after the aroma. Slight hops and rye flavors. There is some sourness to this, but it is light and I would say like a sour milk or sourdough.

M - Not as full as I would like. A light beer that doesn't do much in your mouth. You can feel the sourness in the back, bottom of your mouth.

O - Decent but I was expecting more. Probably a style I need to try more of to get a better understanding of what it should be. It is very drinkable and could be a great Sunday beer or something to share with the non-nerdy beer drinkers. Definitely growing on me as I drink it. I have never played with the scores as much as I have with this beer but recommend everyone should try. (958 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.
A: Poured a nice clear amber with constant bubbles and a two-finger sticky white head.
S: Honey wheat, green leafy and rosemary hops, a hint of vanilla, and slightly metallic.
T: The rosemary hops are a little unbalanced, the bready yeast lingers, creamy and floral, and again, slightly metallic crispness. OK.
M: Starts off milky and frothy and turns into a crisp metallic-clean finish. This fits the flavor profile pretty well.
O: This is decent, but nothing mind-blowing. (505 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this one.

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Pours a slight cloudy golden honey color with a slight white head.

Aroma is of citrus and grainy malts.

Taste is of citrus at first with a slight hint of spice. Malty grains can also be tasted. Very light tasting great for the summer time and hot weather.

Mouthfeel is very light with some good carbonation. Very drinkable. This would be a good session beer on a hot summer day while doing some BBQing and relaxing with freinds and family. (506 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

The name is fitting, as it is a bit reminiscent of gum. Also hoppy for a wheat beer, which is not uncommon for US versions. Give 'em credit for doing something unique, and definitely worth trying. Overall, it can't hold a candle to the real thing, but a good brew nonetheless. Thanks to the BeirReise for the sample. (316 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.