Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,460 | Hads: 5,250
4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

This is my favorite beer. Amarillo Hops gives it a Grapefruit smell and Citrus taste. Perfect amount of bubbles.The Malt and Wheat makes it Warm and fuzzy in the winter but light and very refreshing in summer. I realize now I am a lucky SOB living in the the land of 3 Floyds. (276 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

Light to medium gold, sediment in the bottom of the bottle, moderate head, lots of carbonation. Lemon, citrus grapefruit all in one, yum yum. Light crip, lemony grapefruit. finishes clean. Super summer beer. Full of flavor without any heaviness. I could really put these down. Edit: the more I drank this there were peach undertones that started to come out. (358 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Fresh bomber of Gumballhead is always a refreshing sight in my fridge. Pours a brilliant golden orange color with a creamy arid two finger head on top that leaves sticky lacing on my pint glass. Aroma is a blast of lovely tropical Amarillo hop goodness. Fresh cut, juicy pineapple slices, oranges, mangoes....herbal, oily, resinous. Underneath is a crisp, fresh wheaty lemony body. Still the most lush, aromatic American wheat beer that has ever graced my nostrils. Yum.

First sip brings a rush of vine ripened lovely hoppiness. Sublimely fruity with notes of pineapple, orange, lemon, and just a hint of herbal pine resin as well. A nicely creamy wheat grain background...sweet with a hint of astrigent husk on the back of the palate. Mellow bitterness throughout makes this the ultimate summer quencher. The best American wheat beer hands down...brilliantly hopped and just so damn tasty.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full. Rolls over the palate smoothly...being light enough to still be refreshing. This is probably my all time favorite summer brew as I could drink it by the case no problem. I wouldn't mind seeing this in six packs...as it would be a bit more convenient. All in all...this is a great wheat beer. (1,218 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a rich golden colour. Opaque and murky. Lots of yeast and some floaty sediment thingys. Moderate head, with nice lacing. The head stuck around for half the beer. Very hoppy aroma, high notes of citrus. Tastes of yummy hops and lemon hangings around for a little bit. Very tasty. Perfectly carbonated. Bites to the end. I could drink this all afternoon. (358 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

I said god damn, god damn. What have we here? It's a wheat & it is spectacular. Poured this bad boy into a glass & it was cloudy, straw colored, & held a perfect white bubbly head. Holy crap - the aroma is a regular thing of beauty. When 3 Floyd's writes that they add "a boatload of amarillo hops" on the bottle's label - they are telling the truth. Every sip is better than the one before it. Hops are everywhere, but the wheat flavor is still there to keep this brew clean & refreshing. The hop profile is wonderful - floral & citrus fruit (lemon, orange, grapefruit). Drinkability is absurd. If possible, I would drink this for breakfast, lunch, & dinner for the months of April through August for the rest of my life. To quote andre 3000, "I think I'm in love again...". (775 characters)

A- Golden Hue, big head that doesn't last too long
S- Insane Hops aromatics(but that is to be expected from FFF), maybe a bit of orange?

T- Big Hops, good wheat to balance the hops....nice and light, but hearty at the same time

M- Good body, nice and light-like a good summer beer should be

D- Awesome....once the 6rs come out it will be a staple... (359 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Brilliant golden color with a nice fluffy white head poured into a weizen glass. Nice fragrant, sweet and fruity citric hops. Some candy like sweetness in there, and a hint of wheat as it warms, but the hops are the star. Taste is smooth, balanced, yet hops play a big role in the taste as well and make the flavor pop unlike in any wheat beer I’ve ever had. Subtle, and slightly lingering wheat finish. The hops are so crisp, bright, and refreshingly flavorful with the perfect amount of bitterness. Wow, this is simply awesome. I wish this were available in Texas. Damn near perfect. One of my favorite beers, and FFF's hop profile is probably the cleanest, most citrusy and refreshing that I've ever had. (709 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

A: 12 oz. brown bottle with the Gumballhead the cat comic character well in focus in the center of the label. A solid 1/2" of frothy white head rests on top of a beautiful, slightly hazy, golden liquid and leaves excellent lace on the glass as it slowly fades.

S: Amazing! The Amarillo hops really come through as they lay down the typical citrus grapefruit aroma. The label doesn't mention it, but this beer screams dry-hopped. It just has that distinct hop aroma that can only come from dry-hopping... very sappy and tangy.

T: The sweetness from the wheat comes through at the beginning, but quickly vanishes and takes a backseat to the hops. Did I mention I think this beer is heavily dry-hopped? There's no mistaking that dry-hop flavor at this point. I LOVE IT! The hops aren't so much bitter at this point, as much as I would say tart (if that makes sense) being balanced by the tropical fruits and somewhat hidden malt profile. The lemony finish as stated on the bottle hits the nail on the head with more citrus on the back of the tongue. The hop flavor really lingers on the tongue after each swallow. You'll get no complaints from this hophead as far as that is concerned.

M: Light-Medium

D: With the low ABV and tremendous flavor, I would call this a very sessionable beer for a hophead. I'm drinking this as slow as I can to still be able to call myself a beer geek, but I feel like I'm damn near chugging it.

Notes: I'd say this is a shoe-in for my favorite wheat beer of all time. (1,499 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Another great beer from a local brewery 3 Floyds. The bottle displays a yellow dog with a black eye and cigarette hanging out of the right side of his mouth,

A- Golden yellow with a medium thick frothy head. Nice bubbles. Sticky lacing with good retention.

S- Hops. Hops. Hops. The floral hops dominate the nose, a true hop fans wheat style beer. Pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon zest.

T- Incredible, the hops are very apparent but not overwhelming. This brew is almost a cross between a pale and a wheat, beautifully done.

M- Kisses my tongue with delicious bitterness and floral hops.

D- Bring on some more! (666 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

22oz bomber, with the street-fighting cartoon cat "Gumballhead" on the label.

I figured it's about time for me to finally review this beer, as I've been drinking it all summer long. Graciously stocked (upon request) at HyVee Wine & Spirits locally..to my knowledge..it was the first place in Iowa to stock it. I'm quickly beginning to think that Three Floyds is the best craft brewery in America.

Hands-down, the best summer session beer I've ever had, and I really can't imagine it getting much better than this. While reading some other reviews, someone commented by saying this beer is a "delicate tribute to hops". I think that describes it just about perfectly. The hops are not overwhelming, but go so incredibly well with the pale, wheat flavor & aroma. Citrusy & delicious...one of the most well-crafted beers I've ever had, period.

If the comic book is as good as the beer, I just might have to take up reading. (929 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Nice color, with a very nice head

S - Fruity and the pine from the hops

T - Citrus, lemon and hoppy, a bit of sweetness

M - High carbonation, the finish is dry

O - Another fine offering from Three Floyds, maybe my favorite so far, very highly drinkable, almost a 5. (273 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks Robwestcott!

Appearance: Pale gold color, slightly greenish. White head that dissipates to a thin layer, no lacing.

Smell: Juicy hops. Wheat comes through but far in the background.

Taste: Follows the nose. Low bitter taste and no sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Thin and good amount of carb. Dry finish. Drinkable.

Overall: Try this beer! Its great for drinking. I would love to have this on a hot summer day. Would trade pretty much anything for this beer. (461 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

22oz bottle poured into a 12oz pilsner glass.

Gumballhead's label portrays a pissed off cat smoking a cigarette and riding a bike. (His head is in the shape of a gumball.)

A violent cyclone of bubbles rush to the surface, each fighting for position to penetrate the smooth, delicate lacey head like molten lava from deep within this beer's delicious core. Pouring a light amber, this brew smells as good as it tastes with scents of hopped up peach and apricot. Hops? Yes hops! This isn't just any normal wheat beer.

And now for the first sip! Incredible! The master brewers at Three Floyds have clearly fused the hop vine and the peach tree in an evil lab experiment gone wrong (I mean, right)! These two flavours are perfectly balanced. A fruity sensation dominates the palate before the army of hops overtake everything in their path. Don't get me wrong -- this beer is not overwhelming, it's endlessly drinkable and I'd say damn near perfect, too.

I've been waiting for almost a year to write a beer review and tonight I came to the conclusion that Gumballhead would be fit for my first. I've recently moved to Chicago from Connecticut where we cannot find Three Floyds. Now that I'm here, I treat myself to a bomber or two of Gumball every week. I have even been considering driving the 900 miles back home so that I could stop at the brewery to pick up a keg to share with my friends. At almost $6.00 a bottle, this brew isn't cheap, but like they say -- you get what you pay for. I think I've found my favorite beer. (1,536 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Wow! What a beer. Why I passed this one up previously is beyond comprehension. Thanks to nlmartin for this bomber.

Pours a nice, clear color with about an inch and a half of bright white head. Head last for about half of the glass leaving some light specks of lacing.

The aroma is more than enough to satisfy. Hops are abundant, which is something that sets this beer apart. Citrus and some wheat, but as it warms I get some .... wait, maybe I just looked at the label too much .... no, it is bubble gum. Sweet, sticky and chewy bubble gum. Wow.

And the flavor .... ahhh, the flavor. All of the above and then some. Citrusy hops, nice wheat backbone, some sweet candied sugar in the back. Love it. I can't believe I didn't buy this when I could get it. I will not make that mistake again.

Exceptionally smooth medium body. Nicely carbonated. Slight bitterness in the aftertaste reminds you about the hops. Drinkability .... you're kidding, right? I could drink this beer all afternoon and night and into the early morning. Or at least until I see those little green fairies I was looking for when I had that Absinthe. Amazing beer. Great job 3F's. (1,159 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Not enough can be said for this brew. When fresh, it is truly one of the best beers in the world.

A - Golden, radiant and translucent, with a lightly frothy head.

S - Huge Amarillo hop; orange-dank, citrus-resiny, like fruity cannabis. As the glass empties, the aromatic dominance subsides, but the flavor does not. It seems to work better that way; it keeps the hop from overwhelming.

T - The quality and level of fruity-bitter interplay is perhaps unparalleled in my beer drinking experience. The most delicious lingering hop... I really like this better than nearly any IPA, save for Jai Alai and Sculpin, for my hop fix. The pale malt is so deliciously dry and sharp, it really provides the perfect base for the exposition of humulus splendor. The Amarillo hop provides boundless orange-tangerine-dank-earthy bitterness, I really can't get enough. Nor can I adequately describe how delicious it really is.

M - Lighter-bodied and tremendously refreshing. Carbonation fades too fast, and that is probably the only flaw in this brew.

D - Beyond recommended. (1,063 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Big thanks to my neighbor Rob for bringing me back a six pack of this from South Bend!

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. Formed a single finger bone white head that receded quickly leaving behind a good amount of fluff on the sides of he glass. The body is crystal clear...the color of wet straw with golden orange hues.

The nose is phenomenal...big hops up front, citrus and piney, sit on top of a grainy, lemon frosted bread-like backbone.

Man...the taste is right up there with the nose...superb! A honey-like sweetness starts things off, combines with a lemon zest and slowly fades into a grassy middle before the bitter hops (resin) finish things off.

Thin mouth feel, oily with strong carbonation.

The great nose, flavors and thin mf make this one of the (if not the) most drinkable beers on the market today. I would rate this higher than a 5 if possible! (889 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a bomber into a Weizen Glass, the beer appeared a cloudy yellow copper, no head and sparse lacing. Smell is fruity hops, with a malt backing. Lemon zest. Taste is outstanding. Hoppy grapefruit, mellowed by malt and sweetness. Mouthful is exceptionally refreshing and crisp. I can't wait to sip one of these on a hot day. Very drinkable, a great wheat beer. (368 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Found some singles at Blue Dog Lansdale.

Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy white head. Head left somepretty thick lacing after it disappeared.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. Very bright wheat, a little grass and citrus - Grapefruit. Lots of it. My nose would prefer I didn't drink this so it could keep smelling, but I have to drink it.

Tastes of a very flowery hopped wheat beer. very clean and very delicious. If it weren't so hazy and had that hint of sourdough, It could be an IPA. It is a great beer.

Drinkability: This is now one of my favorites. What a beer! A case is quite an investment, but if I get the chance to splurge - this will be on the list.

Note: Goes well with baked pork chops.

Edit: After drinking again on multiple occaisions, I had to bump the drinkability and taste up to 5. This beer is simply summer in a bottle - The best drinker I have had to date (919 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to kickinthechalice for this awesome, awesome beer... would honestly drink it everyday if I could actually get my hands on it! (So maybe it's better that I can't.... lol)

Appearance: Yellowish straw color, cloudy with a very thin white head that dissipates quickly. Kind of looks like a Bud regular actually, haha...

Aroma: Smells great. Pineapple right up front , along with some tropical and citrusy hops. There are piney hops in the back, but they are much less pronounced than the fruity tropical hops in the front. I can smell a tiny bit of wheat, but the aroma is definitely dominated by that great pineappley hoppy goodness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pineapple mixed with pine, nice slightly bitter hoppy bite and some kind of toasted wheat to balance it out. This is really good, kind of reminds me of Ale Asylum Bedlam! which I absolutely love. The mouthfeel is thin and nicely carbonated - I think it fits the style well. Overall, this is a great tasting and feeling beer.

Notes: Drinkability is definitely good. I could drink several of these, I only wish that I had that many to enjoy! For everyone who can get their hands on Gumballhead on a regular basis.... I am extremely jealous of you! (1,206 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Clear bright gold with a nice off white head and subdued carbonation. Huge citrusy flowery hop aroma and flavor. A very nice American Pale Ale with lots of fruits: mostly apples with grapefruit and lemons. Light bodied and refreshing with a lightly bitter finish and a bit lemony.

An awesome hoppy wheat !!

Per label: "Red Wheat and boat loads of Amarillo hops"

(22 oz. bottle) (386 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance - Light gold in color, highly carbonated at first but then settles down, 1/4" head that is very light and fluffy. Sticks to the sides nicely as you drink. Very clear beer. Very inviting beer.

Smell - Very Fruity and Hoppy. Interesting for a wheat beer.

Taste - Hops, Grape Fruit, Wheat, Hops, Other citrus flavors. An awesome Wheat Beer! Very fruity!

Mouthfeel - This beer is near perfect. I think it could be a little heavier in body but, it's fine.

Drinkability - I'm going to pour my second glass now.

I flew to Chicago and drove to Munster, Indiana for this beer. After loading the rent-a-suv, I drove straight home, to Boston with it. This is really a great beer! AND a great Brewery/Brew Pub (725 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

22 oz. bombers purchased at Shangys last night. I heard great things about this beer so I am so anxious to try this.

Cool label. I never knew that Gumballhead was a cartoon character.

Pours a golden copper. Plenty of carbonation. Not hazy at all like the bottle says or light a wheat beer should be.

Nice big pure white, fluffy head. Great sticking on the glass.

Huge hops in the nose. Love that.

Great hop taste in the mouth. The sweetness of cotton candy follows as I swallow.

Like the bottle says, "It's not normal." Certainly not a normal wheat beer. You know what, though, who cares. This is just great beer. I am becoming a huge fan of 3F. I can't wait to try all their others. (701 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a fluted glass. Served ice cold.

This wheat beer poured a full 1 and 1/2 half to 2 fingers of frothy/eggnog like foam. I sometimes blame my pouring style but feel this head was intentional by the brewmasters.

The color was an almost clear honey/dark hued yellow. Slightly cloudy but that vanished rather quickly.

Despite the description written on the bottle I heartily digress that lemon is the key smell or taste dominant in this wheat beer. I attribute both the smell and taste as a harmonious blend of grapefruit and very filtered water. If you can imagine the old grapefruit juice cans (made of steel) with a steel foil tab. That's the aroma. Not to demean the beer--I find it to be excellent and delicious but was reminded of the old cans of grapefruit juice when I tasted it.

I found the beginning and the finish to be even. There was no change or crescendo in initial taste to swallow. This is odd to me as I find almost all beers to dramatically change in taste both during and after the drinking process. This quality combined with the fruity/wheat yumminess proves to be an excellent drinking beer. I will seek this out again with vigor. Highly recommend. (1,182 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

I have no words to truly describe this beer. What I can say is that I've been trying to track it down for 18 months. The best description I can give is that it takes the best parts of an IPA and mixes then with a Hefeweizen to result in one of the best beers that I've ever tasted! It's not perfect, the scent is a little pungent on the nose and the color does not quite fit the taste but this beer has to be tasted to be understood. As an added bonus, the packaging is very fun. Now, to hunt down more! (503 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

22 oz bomber...

Everything about this beer was simply awesome! The color was perfect, the smell was just a great blend of malty sweetness, fruity aromas, and hops. Its low alcohol content was apparent as no alcohol smell could be found. First sip and I was hooked. This is a damn good beer for the summer! its great tasting and low AC make this the premier BBQ session beer! I want more!

This is one of those beers that is just enjoyable to drink from first sip to the last. Gumballhead is a great tasting craft beer that doesnt need to be extreme in IBUs or AC to make it good, and I suspect if more BMC drinkers tried this one, they would be converted to craft beers for sure! (684 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.