Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros

Dignuup, Oct 23, 2014

TheHandsomeWeasel, Oct 14, 2012

m33lad, Jun 07, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -70.3%

Didn't care for this beer at all.

AuntBea, Nov 13, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -70.3%

Watery yellow with some small floaties & no head, reeks of wheat.

Nasty. The bitter, acrid aftertaste starts in the front of my tongue & works its way back into my throat.

Man. This is wheat beer at its unrefined. Little character, little taste, but a strong, unrelentingly battery-acid, macro aftertaste. I recently tasted the Weyerbacher Blanche & was very, very pleasantly surprised at the excellent wheat character & the lack of that...nasty aftertaste.

I hope I just rec'd a bad bottle after all the positive reviews. My first failing grade. Drain-pour.

maximum12, Jul 08, 2008

beercanman, Apr 02, 2013

Ferd577, Feb 07, 2013

RustyQ, Jul 13, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -51.8%

Tried to order a Budweiser at this hipster bar in downtown Chicago and was informed that "they do not carry bud products" This should have been a red flag given that bud is the most popular beer in the country. Waitress suggested gumballhead which was the featured beer. It came in some stupid ass wine glass but other than that looked fine with kind of a medium amber color. All downhill from there...it tasted like complete shit with an almost chemical after taste
I found myself forcing it down with my meal. Super hard to drink...and don't give me any of that "refined pallet" bullshit they should serve this beer in shot glasses with a chaser and no i don't live in a trailer or watch NASCAR I'm a normal person with
pretty normal tastebuds

blindpenguin, Jan 27, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

I have read a lot of good reports about this beer so I must have had a bad bottle. It was a 22 oz. from a local liquor store.

The brew smelled like grapefruit and tasted like it too. Carbonation was OK and mouthfeel was OK too but the taste was very harsh and on the extreme sour side.

Not one I was impressed with and probably need to try again.

skolwitz, Oct 23, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

TheNerve, Oct 30, 2014
2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured this 22 oz. bomber into a weizen glass. Body was a honey golden yellow color. Two fingers of chunky head subsided rather quickly.

Smelled fruity. Fresh hop aroma. As the beer warmed I began to smell the wheat.

Taste was a pleasant tart on the first swallow. Then the aspirin taste of the Amarillo hops kicked in. The hops really obscure the wheat flavor. Like sucking on an aspirin.

Not as smooth as most wheat beers. More raspy and hoppy with less wheat taste than one would expect. Mild carbonation.

Overall this beer is over-rated. I will not buy another. I have liked all other Three Floyds offerings but I would say that the FFF name may be skewing the ratings for this one. If the label said "BUD" I doubt this would rate so high.

Cresant, Jul 24, 2006

brpendergast85, Jun 30, 2014

Satan70, Feb 20, 2012

scarnold8, Jan 13, 2013
2.66/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Living in PA, I haven't had the chance to try 3F products, so on a recent trip to Chicago I was psyched to finally get the chance. Unfortunately, Gumballhead turned out to be a major disappointment.

It looked fine, but after that, things went downhill. I've rarely encountered such a well-regarded beer with so little aroma or flavor. Frankly, this reminded me more of dishwater than beer. There was a subtle hint of grassiness and a little lemon on the palate, but there was absolutely none of the fabled hop character,. at least that I could detect.

I'd say I had a bad bottle, but this was on tap at a busy restaurant with a beer menu that included only 3 draughts and 3 bottles, so I can't imagine it had been sitting for any extended period of time.

All in all, a bland, boring disappointment of a beer.

LCB_Hostage, Jun 27, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours into a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy brightish yellow color with a white head that produces a bit of lacing.

S - Light hops right away, some sugary sweetness and citrusy scents too.

T - Really light tastes of hops, lime zest, and water. Didn't know anything about this before I tried it, very light tasting beer.

M - Typical light beer mouthfeel.

D - This just doesn't have enough flavor for me, way to light tasting, it is nice and refreshing but definitely want more flavor.

semibaked, Apr 07, 2010