Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros

2.03/5  rDev -51.8%

Tried to order a Budweiser at this hipster bar in downtown Chicago and was informed that "they do not carry bud products" This should have been a red flag given that bud is the most popular beer in the country. Waitress suggested gumballhead which was the featured beer. It came in some stupid ass wine glass but other than that looked fine with kind of a medium amber color. All downhill from there...it tasted like complete shit with an almost chemical after taste
I found myself forcing it down with my meal. Super hard to drink...and don't give me any of that "refined pallet" bullshit they should serve this beer in shot glasses with a chaser and no i don't live in a trailer or watch NASCAR I'm a normal person with
pretty normal tastebuds

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

I have read a lot of good reports about this beer so I must have had a bad bottle. It was a 22 oz. from a local liquor store.

The brew smelled like grapefruit and tasted like it too. Carbonation was OK and mouthfeel was OK too but the taste was very harsh and on the extreme sour side.

Not one I was impressed with and probably need to try again.

2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured this 22 oz. bomber into a weizen glass. Body was a honey golden yellow color. Two fingers of chunky head subsided rather quickly.

Smelled fruity. Fresh hop aroma. As the beer warmed I began to smell the wheat.

Taste was a pleasant tart on the first swallow. Then the aspirin taste of the Amarillo hops kicked in. The hops really obscure the wheat flavor. Like sucking on an aspirin.

Not as smooth as most wheat beers. More raspy and hoppy with less wheat taste than one would expect. Mild carbonation.

Overall this beer is over-rated. I will not buy another. I have liked all other Three Floyds offerings but I would say that the FFF name may be skewing the ratings for this one. If the label said "BUD" I doubt this would rate so high.

2.66/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Living in PA, I haven't had the chance to try 3F products, so on a recent trip to Chicago I was psyched to finally get the chance. Unfortunately, Gumballhead turned out to be a major disappointment.

It looked fine, but after that, things went downhill. I've rarely encountered such a well-regarded beer with so little aroma or flavor. Frankly, this reminded me more of dishwater than beer. There was a subtle hint of grassiness and a little lemon on the palate, but there was absolutely none of the fabled hop character,. at least that I could detect.

I'd say I had a bad bottle, but this was on tap at a busy restaurant with a beer menu that included only 3 draughts and 3 bottles, so I can't imagine it had been sitting for any extended period of time.

All in all, a bland, boring disappointment of a beer.

2.73/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours into a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy brightish yellow color with a white head that produces a bit of lacing.

S - Light hops right away, some sugary sweetness and citrusy scents too.

T - Really light tastes of hops, lime zest, and water. Didn't know anything about this before I tried it, very light tasting beer.

M - Typical light beer mouthfeel.

D - This just doesn't have enough flavor for me, way to light tasting, it is nice and refreshing but definitely want more flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served into standard pint glass.

A: Hazy golden amber with 1 finger of off-white, large bubble head that simmers but stays put overall.

S: Pine and citrus hops, very potent and inviting, but not very wheat ale. Very light hint of wheat backbone as well as cloves. Nice lacing as the fluid level drops.

T: Heavy front hit of grapefruit from the hops, seems like it may be too much, but the underlying malts balance out fairly well before it nears an unpleasant bitter, well done. However, as I proceed through the pint, the malt begins to struggle to hold up its end of the bargain. Finishes up with a light lemon kick and touch of spice. Very refreshing, but missing the real character of the wheat.

M: Mild bodied overall, as appropriate, not at all watery. Carbonation is a good mid-high ground; contributes well to the crisp, semi-dry finish.

O: A very pleasant offering, once again, from FFF. I have to say, however, that the level of hops doesn't really say "wheat beer" to me but feels more like a blurring in IPA. In addition, I feel like the wheat is lost behind the potent, although balanced, hop flavors. Regardless, I did enjoy this beer and doubt it will be my last Gumballhead.

Note that my ratings are pulled down by my opinion that this blurs the line too much to be called a wheat beer.

Gumballhead from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub