Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,511 | Ratings: 5,610
4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

If I hadn't read the label, I would have pegged this as a Pale Ale (wheat wouldn't have crossed my mind). Twelve ounce bottle from Binny's in Orland Park, IL.

Pours a clear golden color with a nice thick head and medium lacing. Smells fresh and fruity and hoppy -- strong bitterness without excessive piney-ness.

Tastes follows the nose -- well balanced bitterness to sweetness. In some ways, it reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but some of the details are different.

Feels light and good in the mouth. Extremely drinkable beer -- very refreshing, very tasty, very interesting. I could drink it all night long and be quite happy.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a clear bright golden color with a foamy white head that fades into a sticky lace. Nose is fresh pine and ripe grapefruit along with a bit of wheat. The key player in the taste is the zesty citrusy hop bitterness but there is also fruity lemon, some mint, and bubblegum flavors blended in. A bit of pine resin is present in the finish. This is a very refreshing and easy drinking beer. Sure wish this was available locally.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Big props to lightindarkness for throwing this in on a trade.

A: Pours a hazy yellowish gold with a single finger foamy off white head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a ring around the glass.

S: Oh man, what a sweet citrusy smell that consists of pink grapefruit... maybe some strawberries or other reddish/medium-dark fruits. There's some candy -- maybe bubble gum after all? Definitely some citrusy hops as well, that smells a little like Vicks when taken in a big whiff after it has had time to warm a bit.

T: Taste is sweet fruity malts, wheat, and bubblegum with a orange/lemmon zing on the semi-dry/semi-bitter finish.

M: This is light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation, slight bubbly sensation after each sip. Smooth baby, smooth.

D: Probably one of the most tasty session beer candidates I've had in a while. Could go through a few of these on a hot summer day. Loving the candy/sweet fruit aroma and taste on this one.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Received in a trade with McAllister (thanks, dude).

This is my first experience with Three Floyds since I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in Michigan. I'm glad I finally got to try one of their brews.

Poured into a pint glass - vibrant yellow like sunshine in a glass with a nice white & foamy head that sticks around for a while. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles are floating to surface as well. Smell is citrusy with a some floral character. Reminds me of summer - light and refreshing. Taste is crisp and refreshing - lemon and bread upfront with a hoppy kick in the back. Very complex and different from any other wheat beer I've tried. Mouthfeel is perfect and emphasizes the strong characteristics of this beer. I could drink this all night long. Perfect for a long summer day. Highly Recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance- golden in color a bit of haze, nice light fluffy head, good retention, crazy lacing.

Smell- citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, some wheat. grapefruit, Very effervesant. grapefruit, a hint of yeast, grapefruit.

Taste- See Aroma. The smell and the taste are the exact same (I'm pretty sure that means the brewer did a perfect job). great hopped up american wheat

Mouthfeel- crisp, refreshing, carbonation could be a tad higher

Overall- i could drink this all day every day. If i could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, without a doubt, it would be this!

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Three Floyd's staple.... I'm very lucky to live in an area where I can find this almost anytime I want. If only I could say the same for it's cousin Zombie Dust.... But no complaints, this beer is amazing in its own right.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

A huge thanks to Geonseh for getting me this as fresh as possible, straight from the brewery.

A- clear rich golden. Thin white head doesn't stick too long after it builds up. Bottle conditioned so there are some yeast floating in there.

S- The smell is all hops, and they smell super fresh. Citrus, melon, and a bit of greenery- pine maybe come out in the nose.

T- I don't know if I can detect any wheat in here but what it comes across as to me is just like a nicely hopped pale ale. The hops come across juicy with a big taste, but don't leave much bitterness so it finishes very clean. Just feels like a standard pale malt base behind it. Apparently they use a bunch of Amarillo hops in this and it does remind me of that, which I also find in the Alpine Duet IPA.

M/D- really light, but really good. This might have just become my standard of a "summer beer." I'm probably gonna need to arrange for another couple 6'rs of this before Summer is over.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of shrek806, thanks for this gem. Pours a clear, dark gold color with a bubbly white head. Not much for retention or lacing.

Smells woderful! Guava - agave nectar - grapefruit deliciousness. Biscuity, grainy malt back is strong ennough to just peek through the hops.

A nice wheat tang with a citrusy-tropical shitload of hop flavor. Not overly bitter, but just realy bright and fresh. I would absolutely love to have access to this all the time. I do get some of the gumball flavors I am assuming from the yeast melting together with hops. Juicy and thirst quenching as hell. Man, this is great!

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Okay, we in Columbus finally got this brew, and as is often the case with Three Floyds, I am somewhat confused, if pleasantly. This beer poured a light, clear golden color and fomred a small off white head the coated the glass with lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, citrus, caramel, some hint of pine and more hops. A flavor of hops, citrus, pine and more hops. The finish was bittersweet and refreshing. As you can see by my review, I was not expecting such hop influence in a supposedly wheat beer. But like so many other American craft brewers, Three Floyds continues to surprise me.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

I am a little partial to this brew. Gumballhead really pushed me over the edge on craft brews. It is available on tap at most bars and is now my go to when I'm out with friends.

A - Pours a golden hue very cloudy with a nice head.

S - Lots of hops!!! Mandarin, orange zest and bouquet of happiness!

T - Big on the hops. This is definitely the amarillo hops. Personally one of my favorites. You get a wheaty influence and it once to take over, but the hops are just too much to overwhelm.

M - Pretty good body to the taste.

D - This is my summer beer! It is perfect for a hot day hanging out by the pool...

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber bottle.

The appearance is a bright yellow/gold, straw-like color. It has about a 1/2 inch, bright white foamy head. The aroma is wonderfull. It is the clean, crisp, grapefruity smell of Amarillo hops. The scent is so strong that it was obviously dry-hopped.

The taste is also great - a light but hoppy flavor. The main taste is definitely grapefruit. It is somewhat bitter, but without being overpowering. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing with a somewhat dry finish.

This is an extremely drinkable beer, especially on hot summer days. Very enjoyable. It is the only beer I can think of where a little burp after drinking tasted as good as the beer did going down.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

This is something we need more of....breweries pushing the limits a little to come up with something outstanding...

American Wheats are one of my least favorite styles, but shit if you do it like this it is really something...The nose is all hops...blame it on the (ama)Rillos...One of my favorite hops and it provides a great nose....I figure I'm about to bite into a kickass IPA, but I am surpised with a very smooth, creamy almost, wheat beer...the body is light as it shoulds be...But the beauty in this one is the way they work the hops into this style without becoming too obtrusive...a great blend....highly drinkable...has just a hint of lemon grass....some solid wheat maltiness too...

Boy this hit it big with this....THE best American Wheat made and one that you could still drink a lot of. despite it's stronger characteristics....Great effort by 3 floyds with this one..

I am rating it per style...doesn't measure up as an IPA but as an American Wheat it blows things out of the water..

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Whhha? Pale wheat ale really? but... but I smell hops and its clear! I'm reviewing this as my second one of the night I had one earlier and this time is a little different...palate mighta got jacked!
But this is some nice stuff...like I said before pours a medium clear gold with a little bit a floaties not much though, has white head sticks around for a bit. The carbonation will stick to the sides of the glass a bit. Cool. Smells like grapfruit hops then if you sniff hard enough the clove and wheat smell you were expecting. Taste hops to start with gum bananna clove and to boot some wheat. Pretty nice indeed. (Indeed!) So I like this stuff k, But I will try not to buy much since I will drink it all in one night...and its not local...top notch overall

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Good wheat tastes with strong hops presence is not only a great idea, but a very refreshing beer. I had this previously, but I let it sit around too long. The hops were less dominant and the fruity wheat tastes more pronounced. Frankly, it was one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. This experience was very good, but not as good as that one. At least wheat-tast wise. Hops were better, which with greater freshness makes sense.

A tad hazy yellow-peach. White head, but not too much of it.

Smell is of strong pine needles. A lot of Amarillo hops. Taste has a lot of those piney notes as fruity wheat tastes. A nice combo indeed.

Mouthfeel is very creamy. Exceptional? Not sure about that yet.

Drinkable? A great summer beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Three Floyds is giving midwest Brewing one heck of a reputation. These guys are fearless much like their art work for their beers. Gumball Head is by far my favorite wheat beer. The appearance is a clear yellow/golden color with nice carbonation that provides good white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a wonderful bouquet spice and citrus formed by the Amarillo hops. The taste has a great citrus combo of lemon/grapefruit/apricot and touch of spice that I can't define. The mouthfeel is fine...session....no question. This wheat beer could be a pale ale easily. An absolute must try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WTF I thought I had reviewed this previously, but whatever. This review is transcribed from prior notes. On tap at FFF in Munster, IN.

Golden color with a white head and pretty good lacing.

Aroma of wheat, citrus, honey, and way more Amarillo hops than you expect.

Flavor is wheat, honey, lemon, and grapefruity hops - excellent choice of hop variety. You really get an insane amount of hop aroma and flavor without very much hop bitterness.

Medium-bodied, very nice for the style, somewhat light and crisp on the palate.

Not your grandma's wheat beer. I love this one, especially on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Light yellow/gold, very small carbonation bubbles, white head with decent retention.

Aroma: You can smell the wheat immediately, some light hop aroma with slight citrus notes

Taste: more hop flavor than I remembered, grapefruity, some hop bitterness in the back of the throat, aftertaste is of hop bitterness and dry

Mouthfeel: light body, highly carbonated with small bubbles

Overall: Such a tasty beer, I'm not usually a huge fan of American Wheats but Gumballhead is hopped up enough. These will be great once summer comes around again, perfect to bring to the beach or just drink sitting around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

presentation: 22oz. bomber with a brightly colored label. crayon colored oval with the comic character gumballhead the cat in the center. three floyds logo is at the bottom of the oval with gumballhead wheat beer around the top of the oval. three floyd's interpretation of their wheat beer is on the right of the label along with some basic info about the comic and a web link. a map to the brewery is below this explanation. no freshness date or abv displayed.

appearance: pours a bright yellow-orange with even brighter yellow highlights in a stein mug. nice 2 inch white fluffy head. good retention and lacing. very clear with bubbles rising methodically.

smell: lemony, orangey and grainy. floral and lightly spicy hops. excellent bouquet. faintest touch of bubblegum while sipping.

taste: nice citrus hops and bitters. oranges and lemons with a blurry flavor of lightly sweet wheat malts. hops are king here. finish is a touch dry with a light bitterness and a lingering touch of sourness.

mouthfeel: crisp clean medium body. there is a very light residual layer left on the tongue. very smooth rolling in your mouth and swallows just as smooth. excellent mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

drinkability: are you kidding me? excellent drinkability. perfect summer session brew. alcohol is nowhere to be found. bitterness isn't over the top. very aromatic and flavorful.

overall: this is what i'm talkin' about! a nice change of pace from traditional hefes, without the bananas and cloves. very drinkable, smooth, aromatic and flavorful. what more can you ask for? nice session brew. i'll take this any time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Into a tall weizen glass, pours a bubbly and slightly hazy bright gold, with a big ole starting head that shrink to a thin head, stringing lacing, quite lovely. Aroma is noticably hoppy, very floral and light. If I didn't know better I"d mistake it for an IPA. Oh, and oops there is some wheatness up in there too. I really like it, a whole lot, but doesn't get top notch marks for being too un-wheat like.

Taste is much like the nose, only even better. The hops are floral, a bit fruity and a little citric and clearly take center stage over the nicely wheaty malt blend, and while it seems at first overly hoppy, this is a very nicely balanced wheat.

This might be the most drinkable beer I've ever laid my hands on. High scores across the board, nice warm feeling and yet not even slightly buzzing after a 22oz'er.... Is it possible to get this in the keg? I want one, for my wedding. Not even kidding. Not in the slightest, this is so drinkable I'm almost wishing I live in Indiana. Almost.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

onto my second FFF beer this evening. I have my fingers crossed that I enjoy this as much as I did Alpha King

A- a ridiculously carbonated unfiltered golden yellow body that has a solid white head of foam on the top. There is some stickiness of lacing, but not overwhelming. The brew looks like the Gatorade of Craft Beer... thirst quenching for the warm weather

S- strong citrus hops and lemon zest are all over the nose of the brew. The hops are an explosion with the scent. There are some biscuity themes that no doubt highlight the wheat component of the brew

T- home run! The lemony taste is tied together with the citric hop bitterness. The brew is dry at the end and crisp at the same time at the end of the brew. Plain and simple... it's just tasty

M- good flavor that is crisp, carbonated, and good with coating on the mouth

D- Gumballhead is another unbelievable brew from FFF. I challenege anyone to find a better drinkable brew for a resfreshing drink. I will try to find more of these somehow, someway!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a golden yellow with little to no foam to speak of and no lacing to speak of.

S - The citrus and floral hops hit you like a ton of bricks and oh so sweet!

T - The taste is as expected, strong citrusy hop flavor throughout the experience

M/D - This one is mildly bitter, not over the top, but just right. Its perfectly carbonated to give you a refreshed feeling.

This is one of my top favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Soapy copper-orange liquid with a dense off-white 1/2" head that stays. Visible carbonation actively ascends from the bottom/sides of the pint glass. Thick lacework.

Very fresh scents of Vanilla Wafer cookies (serious) & damp leafy hops. No clove or banana notes.

Perfect combination of malty powdered sugar sweetness and a healthy handshake of fresh hops. Biscuit malt entwined with a smidgen of dryness (again) from the Amarillo hops. Beautifully balanced.

Mouthfeel is very much alive. Medium bodied, soft & fluffy, with a long sweet & faintly dry finish. Carbonation is perfect, as it doesn't interfere with the flavors.

Drinkability is superb. Truly would take center stage over my go-to summer favorite (Hoegaarden) if it were available in my area.

Overall surprisingly fantastic American wheat. VERY unconventional and masterful. I am amazed how lovely the softness and sweetness of the wheat dances with the Amarillo hops - genius. I think Jason (or maybe it was Todd) said it best...'Madness that I like'.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear straw gold with a tight white head that sits on top of a clear straw colored brew. The amarillo aroma is just wonderful. A citrisy, spicy flavor accompanies a grainy maltiness. The finish is a little dry and crisp with the amarillo featured in the end. A great warm weather drinker.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Nlmartin for the beer!!!

This pours with a crisp golden color that is tantalizing to look at. Head is about an inch thick. Nice bit of lacing.

Nose is a strange version of grapefruit. One that is more mild than what we find in most IPA's. I also get a bit of grain and pine. The nose rocks.

I usually dont find IPA's refreshing and even though this Wheat Ale shares many characteristics with IPA's I find it very refreshing. There's some pine, grapefruit, maltiness and other citrus flavors. This is really a winner.

Mouth is immense. Thick and creamy.

I would buy this again and again if I could. If I wanted a refreshing beer this would fit the bill. If I wanted a hoppy beer this would do the job.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear golden color with a large bubbly two finger head.

Aroma is earthy and hoppy. Lots of floral hops and a light malty aroma as well.

Taste is of wheat malts and big floral citrus hops. Lots of floral hops here give it a very earthy taste, really good tasting wheat beer.

Mouthfeel is light, smooth, creamy and bubbly. Medium carbonation with a lighter body. Very good.

Extremely drinkable, a world class example of the style.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.