Follow our progress ...

Gumballhead | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

GumballheadGumballhead

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Reviews: 1,521 | Ratings: 5,636
4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Served from a 22oz bobmber graced with some interesting artwork of a punk ass cat or something like that. You can certainly count on 3F for interesting labels. Pours out a bright orange color, with just a hint of haze and wisps of swirling white head. Nose is shockingly hoppy for a wheat beer, smelling like a citrus orchard at picking time. No hint of bananas here. Slight wheatiness is also noticeable in the aroma. Very clean flavor, lightly wheaty and loaded with amarillo hop flavor. Highly bitter towards the finish, and just a bit lemony and sweet. Definitely different, nearly perfectly so. Body is medium but light enough to go down very easily, this is an eminently drinkable summer beer. Quite complex for a wheat beer, 3F does an excelent job with the hops as usual...mmmm, want more....

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

22 oz bottle, bought at the brewery on my journey from CT to OR. Pours a color somewhere between an orange and a yellow, light. Nice medium sized white head, leaves a decent covering over the top of the beer.
Bigger hop presence than initially expected, nice fruity, piney, slight citrusy hoppiness thats pretty pronounced with some sweet maltiness there too.
Slight hoppy bittering effect, mostly piney flavor with a nice wheat crispness that makes this beer pretty well balanced.
The mouthfeel is very nice, light and the adjective fluffy comes to mind and I would suggest appropriate. Carbonation is on the lighter side.
This beer is very very drinkable. A great beer to session with great flavor and is nice around the edges. An all around great beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The strangest wheat beer I've ever tasted, but it's a very unique flavor and it is one worth trying for sure! Now one of my new favorites! For sure the best 3 Floyds beer out there. It's very light, but full flavored at the same time. It has light flavors of a traditional wheat brew but with normal flavors of a session IPA like light citrus and slight hops. Very hoppy on the nose, but not as much on the palate even though it's referred to a "hoppy wheat" brew. Not sure what they used to pull off the sweet flavor, but I can see where they got the name from as I get a sweet candied taste reminding me of candy like flavor almost like a gumball on the back end. VERY unique and a must try if you ever get the chance.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Got this one as an extra from a generous trader! Drank from my CCB snifter.

A- Pours hazy gold in color. A big white head from a semi-aggressive pour. Nice retention and some moderate lacing left behind.

S- Piney hops up front with hints of citus that follows. A sweetnees is present, would almost guess honey. Very floral!!

T- MMM...nice mellow hops. Not overly aggressive or bitter! It's perfectly balanced with malts, slight citrus take, and what I'm guessing is honey. Not a big wheat presence. As in the nose, I'm def getting a strong floral presence, I believe it's lavander.

M- Nice and refreshing. A nice clean finish that leaves me wanting MORE and MORE of this beer.

D- Unlike any wheat brew I have ever tried. It's EASILY my favorite. Might not be the poster beer for the style, however, it's 10x better than any wheat I've had before. This would def be a go to brew for me! I could drink this all day!!! PERFECT 5 here!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

I have been really interested to try this beer in particular or just about anything from this brewery in general as they seem to be doing good things from what hear around. Packaging is a brown 22oz bomber with a cool crayon looking drawing of a comic book character.

Pours out a pale yellow with a tiny tinge of amber and just a smidge of haze. The head rolls up nicely and recedes somewhat quickly to a nice solid cap of foam resting on top of the brew. A few streamers of teeny-tiny carbonation bubbles roll steadily up to support the head.

Wow, the smell is a unique and very pleasant experience. The tartness of the wheat blends with the citrus of the hops which makes my first impression of the aroma that of a tart candy. Hints of sweeter fruits (banana) are present in the background, but eclipsed by the aroma of citrus and wheat.

The mouthfeel is noticeably more creamy than I would have thought, still light though, and lively with carbonation. The taste is very pleasant. The front is real light, with a taste of grain. The middle presents the “gumball” flavor, and a strong, hoppy, citrus tartness which dominates through-out the finish acquiring a resinous pine presence.

This beer is awesome, really refreshing as well. A great beer to have with lunch, lush and flavorful, but a few of them wouldn’t knock you on your ass. I only wish it were more available around here..

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Hazen pale straw yellow color, small firm white top, loose collar remains after it resides, lacings in thick strings.

Aroma has a pleasant sweet Amarillo bouquet thats just lovely, some grassyness pursues as does some floral aspects in its hop profile and the back is of dullish, lightly sugary lemon sweetness and fresh wheat.

Ooh...and ahh...a very nice taster. Sweet wheat front, dullest of dull lemon, floating grasses, great sugary return. Finishes with a slight hop drying of nonbittering pine and floral traits, left over sugars and fresh wheaty sweetness and dulled fruit drifting off. Rich, giving, smooth, and crisp, with just the right amount of everything. One well balanced and easy goin' treat. I can see why gumball was intregated into the name as it has a candyish character about it.

Feel is of a perfectly drinkable medium body thats very well rounded in cabonation, smooth, lightly crisp while maintaining a certain thick and rich hold. Sweet, and a favorable fun finish of drying off dull fruity sweetness and floral hops. One hell of a tasty quencher! A sessionable ale it is true!
Yum, yum, I've got Gumballhead in my tum.

Great beer! Astounding Amarillo hop profile on display here.

A big crayon drawn cartoon bubble saying "Thanks!" is made by this kid at heart to silenius! You sir deserve one of those Bugs Bunny kisses often given to Elmer Fudd just after his gun blows off his own face. Or is it before his face gets all blackened?

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Many thanks to jpm30 for the opportunity to try this refreshing beverage. Pours a straw, golden color with some haze to it. Medium sized head with a great deal of carbonation but it faded somewhat quickly. The smell isn't too strong, some nice fruit scents are what come first and a small scent of hops. At first I was taking sips of this beer and it was too cold to make a good judgement. I thought bland and carbonated but as it warmed it became clear what this is all about. Lemon zest with other fruits intermingling. I can almost taste a little honey, melon type sweetness. It literally improved sip by sip and seemed pretty phenominal to me. Mouthfeel was a little light and a little too carbonated but nothing too serious to fuss about. Drinkability makes this one choice for a nice summer day. I could down these without hesitation and still remember to enjoy them in the meantime. When I'm playing golf this summer I'll pray to have obtained a case of this stuff beforehand. YUM!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

This is now one of my favorite ales. Thanks to cwguy5 for the taste!

A: Lovely golden straw color with a thick white head and nice lacing. Looks delicious.

S: This is where the fun starts to pick up. The most wonderful aromas of grapefruit and lemon zest overwhelm your senses in an extremely enjoyable fashion.

T: A very sweet blend of grapefruit, lemon and an almost "gumball" or candy like taste that makes it unique. Although it is a wheat ale, it could pass as a pale ale any day. Good carbonation and relatively light bodied. \

O: Truly wonderful. As stated before, now one of my favorites and cannot wait to try again!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Gumballhead, my favorite beer. Love that its brewed here in Indiana as well, which makes it readily available. Pours a light bronze color with a light head. Leaves a lacy trail. The taste is wonderful. The wheat is prevalent and delicious. A great beer overall, enjoyed year round. Really though, with FFF, you can't go wrong.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Got this as part of a beer trade recently.. There seems to be a lot of hype around it and understandably so. From the time this showed up in the mail I was hyped on the label, when I opened the bottle for pouring it radiated an amazing hoppy tropical scent. Poured in a standard pint glass. Crystal clear yellow/ golden color with frothy white head. Smell.. Lots of citrus.. mango and pineapple, and a little bit of hops coming through. Taste is mild.. Light Tropical fruits as mentioned above and some citrus hops. After taste has a touch of biter hops. I could drink these all day. I hate not being able to drink this beer regularly.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

If I hadn't read the label, I would have pegged this as a Pale Ale (wheat wouldn't have crossed my mind). Twelve ounce bottle from Binny's in Orland Park, IL.

Pours a clear golden color with a nice thick head and medium lacing. Smells fresh and fruity and hoppy -- strong bitterness without excessive piney-ness.

Tastes follows the nose -- well balanced bitterness to sweetness. In some ways, it reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but some of the details are different.

Feels light and good in the mouth. Extremely drinkable beer -- very refreshing, very tasty, very interesting. I could drink it all night long and be quite happy.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a clear bright golden color with a foamy white head that fades into a sticky lace. Nose is fresh pine and ripe grapefruit along with a bit of wheat. The key player in the taste is the zesty citrusy hop bitterness but there is also fruity lemon, some mint, and bubblegum flavors blended in. A bit of pine resin is present in the finish. This is a very refreshing and easy drinking beer. Sure wish this was available locally.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Big props to lightindarkness for throwing this in on a trade.

A: Pours a hazy yellowish gold with a single finger foamy off white head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a ring around the glass.

S: Oh man, what a sweet citrusy smell that consists of pink grapefruit... maybe some strawberries or other reddish/medium-dark fruits. There's some candy -- maybe bubble gum after all? Definitely some citrusy hops as well, that smells a little like Vicks when taken in a big whiff after it has had time to warm a bit.

T: Taste is sweet fruity malts, wheat, and bubblegum with a orange/lemmon zing on the semi-dry/semi-bitter finish.

M: This is light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation, slight bubbly sensation after each sip. Smooth baby, smooth.

D: Probably one of the most tasty session beer candidates I've had in a while. Could go through a few of these on a hot summer day. Loving the candy/sweet fruit aroma and taste on this one.

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Received in a trade with McAllister (thanks, dude).

This is my first experience with Three Floyds since I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in Michigan. I'm glad I finally got to try one of their brews.

Poured into a pint glass - vibrant yellow like sunshine in a glass with a nice white & foamy head that sticks around for a while. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles are floating to surface as well. Smell is citrusy with a some floral character. Reminds me of summer - light and refreshing. Taste is crisp and refreshing - lemon and bread upfront with a hoppy kick in the back. Very complex and different from any other wheat beer I've tried. Mouthfeel is perfect and emphasizes the strong characteristics of this beer. I could drink this all night long. Perfect for a long summer day. Highly Recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance- golden in color a bit of haze, nice light fluffy head, good retention, crazy lacing.

Smell- citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, some wheat. grapefruit, Very effervesant. grapefruit, a hint of yeast, grapefruit.

Taste- See Aroma. The smell and the taste are the exact same (I'm pretty sure that means the brewer did a perfect job). great hopped up american wheat

Mouthfeel- crisp, refreshing, carbonation could be a tad higher

Overall- i could drink this all day every day. If i could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, without a doubt, it would be this!

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Three Floyd's staple.... I'm very lucky to live in an area where I can find this almost anytime I want. If only I could say the same for it's cousin Zombie Dust.... But no complaints, this beer is amazing in its own right.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

A huge thanks to Geonseh for getting me this as fresh as possible, straight from the brewery.

A- clear rich golden. Thin white head doesn't stick too long after it builds up. Bottle conditioned so there are some yeast floating in there.

S- The smell is all hops, and they smell super fresh. Citrus, melon, and a bit of greenery- pine maybe come out in the nose.

T- I don't know if I can detect any wheat in here but what it comes across as to me is just like a nicely hopped pale ale. The hops come across juicy with a big taste, but don't leave much bitterness so it finishes very clean. Just feels like a standard pale malt base behind it. Apparently they use a bunch of Amarillo hops in this and it does remind me of that, which I also find in the Alpine Duet IPA.

M/D- really light, but really good. This might have just become my standard of a "summer beer." I'm probably gonna need to arrange for another couple 6'rs of this before Summer is over.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of shrek806, thanks for this gem. Pours a clear, dark gold color with a bubbly white head. Not much for retention or lacing.

Smells woderful! Guava - agave nectar - grapefruit deliciousness. Biscuity, grainy malt back is strong ennough to just peek through the hops.

A nice wheat tang with a citrusy-tropical shitload of hop flavor. Not overly bitter, but just realy bright and fresh. I would absolutely love to have access to this all the time. I do get some of the gumball flavors I am assuming from the yeast melting together with hops. Juicy and thirst quenching as hell. Man, this is great!

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Okay, we in Columbus finally got this brew, and as is often the case with Three Floyds, I am somewhat confused, if pleasantly. This beer poured a light, clear golden color and fomred a small off white head the coated the glass with lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, citrus, caramel, some hint of pine and more hops. A flavor of hops, citrus, pine and more hops. The finish was bittersweet and refreshing. As you can see by my review, I was not expecting such hop influence in a supposedly wheat beer. But like so many other American craft brewers, Three Floyds continues to surprise me.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

I am a little partial to this brew. Gumballhead really pushed me over the edge on craft brews. It is available on tap at most bars and is now my go to when I'm out with friends.

A - Pours a golden hue very cloudy with a nice head.

S - Lots of hops!!! Mandarin, orange zest and bouquet of happiness!

T - Big on the hops. This is definitely the amarillo hops. Personally one of my favorites. You get a wheaty influence and it once to take over, but the hops are just too much to overwhelm.

M - Pretty good body to the taste.

D - This is my summer beer! It is perfect for a hot day hanging out by the pool...

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber bottle.

The appearance is a bright yellow/gold, straw-like color. It has about a 1/2 inch, bright white foamy head. The aroma is wonderfull. It is the clean, crisp, grapefruity smell of Amarillo hops. The scent is so strong that it was obviously dry-hopped.

The taste is also great - a light but hoppy flavor. The main taste is definitely grapefruit. It is somewhat bitter, but without being overpowering. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing with a somewhat dry finish.

This is an extremely drinkable beer, especially on hot summer days. Very enjoyable. It is the only beer I can think of where a little burp after drinking tasted as good as the beer did going down.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

This is something we need more of....breweries pushing the limits a little to come up with something outstanding...

American Wheats are one of my least favorite styles, but shit if you do it like this it is really something...The nose is all hops...blame it on the (ama)Rillos...One of my favorite hops and it provides a great nose....I figure I'm about to bite into a kickass IPA, but I am surpised with a very smooth, creamy almost, wheat beer...the body is light as it shoulds be...But the beauty in this one is the way they work the hops into this style without becoming too obtrusive...a great blend....highly drinkable...has just a hint of lemon grass....some solid wheat maltiness too...

Boy this hit it big with this....THE best American Wheat made and one that you could still drink a lot of. despite it's stronger characteristics....Great effort by 3 floyds with this one..

I am rating it per style...doesn't measure up as an IPA but as an American Wheat it blows things out of the water..

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Whhha? Pale wheat ale really? but... but I smell hops and its clear! I'm reviewing this as my second one of the night I had one earlier and this time is a little different...palate mighta got jacked!
But this is some nice stuff...like I said before pours a medium clear gold with a little bit a floaties not much though, has white head sticks around for a bit. The carbonation will stick to the sides of the glass a bit. Cool. Smells like grapfruit hops then if you sniff hard enough the clove and wheat smell you were expecting. Taste hops to start with gum bananna clove and to boot some wheat. Pretty nice indeed. (Indeed!) So I like this stuff k, But I will try not to buy much since I will drink it all in one night...and its not local...top notch overall

4.59/5  rDev +9%

Good wheat tastes with strong hops presence is not only a great idea, but a very refreshing beer. I had this previously, but I let it sit around too long. The hops were less dominant and the fruity wheat tastes more pronounced. Frankly, it was one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. This experience was very good, but not as good as that one. At least wheat-tast wise. Hops were better, which with greater freshness makes sense.

A tad hazy yellow-peach. White head, but not too much of it.

Smell is of strong pine needles. A lot of Amarillo hops. Taste has a lot of those piney notes as fruity wheat tastes. A nice combo indeed.

Mouthfeel is very creamy. Exceptional? Not sure about that yet.

Drinkable? A great summer beer.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Three Floyds is giving midwest Brewing one heck of a reputation. These guys are fearless much like their art work for their beers. Gumball Head is by far my favorite wheat beer. The appearance is a clear yellow/golden color with nice carbonation that provides good white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a wonderful bouquet spice and citrus formed by the Amarillo hops. The taste has a great citrus combo of lemon/grapefruit/apricot and touch of spice that I can't define. The mouthfeel is fine...session....no question. This wheat beer could be a pale ale easily. An absolute must try.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.