Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
2.66/5  rDev -36.8%

Living in PA, I haven't had the chance to try 3F products, so on a recent trip to Chicago I was psyched to finally get the chance. Unfortunately, Gumballhead turned out to be a major disappointment.

It looked fine, but after that, things went downhill. I've rarely encountered such a well-regarded beer with so little aroma or flavor. Frankly, this reminded me more of dishwater than beer. There was a subtle hint of grassiness and a little lemon on the palate, but there was absolutely none of the fabled hop character,. at least that I could detect.

I'd say I had a bad bottle, but this was on tap at a busy restaurant with a beer menu that included only 3 draughts and 3 bottles, so I can't imagine it had been sitting for any extended period of time.

All in all, a bland, boring disappointment of a beer.

LCB_Hostage, Jun 27, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours into a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy brightish yellow color with a white head that produces a bit of lacing.

S - Light hops right away, some sugary sweetness and citrusy scents too.

T - Really light tastes of hops, lime zest, and water. Didn't know anything about this before I tried it, very light tasting beer.

M - Typical light beer mouthfeel.

D - This just doesn't have enough flavor for me, way to light tasting, it is nice and refreshing but definitely want more flavor.

semibaked, Apr 06, 2010

TheMarose, May 27, 2014

3agle87, Oct 12, 2012

Golgamor, Oct 17, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Served into standard pint glass.

A: Hazy golden amber with 1 finger of off-white, large bubble head that simmers but stays put overall.

S: Pine and citrus hops, very potent and inviting, but not very wheat ale. Very light hint of wheat backbone as well as cloves. Nice lacing as the fluid level drops.

T: Heavy front hit of grapefruit from the hops, seems like it may be too much, but the underlying malts balance out fairly well before it nears an unpleasant bitter, well done. However, as I proceed through the pint, the malt begins to struggle to hold up its end of the bargain. Finishes up with a light lemon kick and touch of spice. Very refreshing, but missing the real character of the wheat.

M: Mild bodied overall, as appropriate, not at all watery. Carbonation is a good mid-high ground; contributes well to the crisp, semi-dry finish.

O: A very pleasant offering, once again, from FFF. I have to say, however, that the level of hops doesn't really say "wheat beer" to me but feels more like a blurring in IPA. In addition, I feel like the wheat is lost behind the potent, although balanced, hop flavors. Regardless, I did enjoy this beer and doubt it will be my last Gumballhead.

Note that my ratings are pulled down by my opinion that this blurs the line too much to be called a wheat beer.

HopZen, Jan 26, 2012

shade13, Jul 25, 2012

thedifferencemaker, Dec 07, 2013

fullmoonbeer, Apr 26, 2014

dazanas, Jun 02, 2013

TonyTalon, Jul 09, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -34%

Bottle: Poured a slightly hazy gold color beer with a huge bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of citrusy hops is overpowering and I could not discern any wheat. Taste is also totally dominated by the hops and leave very little place for the wheat. Not bad overall, I just don’t see were the American wheat fits in because I could not detect any presence of wheat in this beer.

Phyl21ca, Feb 20, 2006

IBU –
DATE – 2 June 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle
GLASSWARE – Goblet
APPEARANCE – Golden and clear with a nice stream of bubbles coming up right in the center of the glass, very thin head.
AROMA- Very hoppy and hints of sweet fruit
TASTE – a light citrus hop flavor, a little bitter as well, but in a refreshing way
MOUTHFEEL – Good carbonation, in fact maybe a bit too much. This is a very gassy beer.
CONCLUSION – For a wheat beer this taste more like an IPA. It is not bad, but when you are expecting a good wheat flavor and instead you get a hoppy flavor, well it just throws off the whole thing. I would drink this again now that I know what to expect.
-JH-

Heischman, Jun 02, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -32.8%

a- golden yellow/orange with a thick frothy white head that fades fairly quickly. nice amount of carbonation with some floaties and minimal lacing.

s- kinda turns me off and almost taints the beer for me, its very light amounts of citrus and easy on pine. smells quite hay and straw with a certain funk that is not too appealing to me.

t&m- not too much going on here. i taste hints of orange, apples, pears and some grapefruit but nothing that sticks out and really challenges the taste buds. it seems quite watered down with lots of grains, wheat and corn? if i were blindfolded and had no idea what this was i would say its a better than average, very drinkable macro lager.

d- this reminds me a lot of sam adams summer ale. take that as you may... thats not a bad thing, BUT i was expecting a little bit more from three floyds. pretty average and thats about it.

caresville, Jan 04, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -32.8%

I guess I can sum up my experience of this bier in just a few words. "I don't get it" I have had this bier a few times and find the subtlty of it's flavor a real put off. Basically, except for the hops, there is little flavor to work with. Likewise the aroma.

And as a wheat ale, I don't think this bier could stand on it's own. In other words, remove the ridiculous hopping of this bier and sell it as a wheat, and no one would buy it.

The idea is interesting and I realize I am in the minority here so try it and form your own opinion.

BierManVA, May 26, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip:

Appearance: aggressive pour yeilds almost no head and has poor head retention. Thought this was a wheat beer? Sunset orange color with almost crystal clear visability. Odd.

Smell: Smells hoppy, surprizing. Also has a faint cheerios wheat aroma. actually quite nice given its a wheat beer and it smells like an APA

Taste: Taste is going to be average on this one. Too hoppy for a wheat beer for me. No balance and almost tastes like its gone bad. Nothing desirable about this on a wheat beer level. Has a bitter aftertaste. Some wheat characteristics like grassy undertones.

Mouthfeel: Undercarbonated and flat almost. Has little characteristics of a wheat beer to me. leaaves a bitter astrigency on the finish.

Drinkability: Its alright. Basically this is your average brewpubs pale ale being called a american pale wheat ale. Nothing great.

Augustiner719, Jun 29, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

Wheat ale my arse ! This was a weak IPA. Good lookin’ pour – hazy orange with sticky ivory laces. But the aroma and taste, wow, strong kick of florals! Not near enough wheat barley in this one – but the bottle does say "boat loads of Amarillo hops." Well, yeah. Tangy, crisp & tart. OK to drink – if you’re ready for an IPA.

Side: awfully high priced ($5.20 for 22oz) – I’d rather spent $6 on a sixer of Sammy/Schalfly wheat ales.

Vancer, Sep 21, 2005