Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,152 | Reviews: 1,504
3.69/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Not what it used to be. Pretty average at this point.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1st FFF beer! Slightly hazy yellow with a small head. Smells awesome and hoppy. Wheat and hops dominate the taste. Very crisp and well carbonated. Awesome brew. Bonus points for the awesome cat artwork.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I had one of these before going to see Lynch Mob at Tailgaters this month & it's not too far from the 3Floyds brew house -this is the best wheat beer Ihave ever had & before I was turned on to ipa's & porters,wheat was my favorite of all the beers unless I was drinking a miller high life (I know,I know,come a long way)...anyway,when Igot to the bar,I thought 3floyds would be on tap,but no! Had to drink guiness from there on out...

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Asheville Beer Week 2015 slender pint glass. Bottleneck says 06/11/2015.

A- Pours a clean medium amber color with a 1/4 inch off-white head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Non-resilient lacing slides quickly down the glass.

S- The amarillo dry-hopping is very apparent and accentuates the sweetness of the wheat. Slight yeasty characteristic gives that bubble gum aspect.

T- Very mild flavor of light hops and substantial wheat malt. Very, very drinkable as it has that slight amount of bitterness that wears off quickly making you want to go back for more. Kind of soily mid-palate.

M- Crisp with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- A neat interpretation of a wheat beer. The hop presence gives it character while the complementary sweetness gives it drinkability. A pretty solid go-to I have to say.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Best wheat beer I have ever had. Not usually a fan of the style

This may be my favorite beer for all seasons. Zombie Dust may be the gold standard when it comes to 3 Floyds, but I like this one just as much. I typically buy this a case at a time. So good, so drinkable. Next time you are on I-80 near Munster, jump off and get yourself a case of Gumballhead and share with your friends.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My first craft beer purchase was a 6-pack of Gumballhead almost one year ago. Very solid beer and worth buying if you can find it.

3.64/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tastes very plain, A refresher thats for sure. A lot different than the other 3 Floyds brews

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unique. Fun. Lots of flavor. One of the best wheat beers I've ever tasted.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a lot of taste to this beer. More of a hot weather refresher.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

The strangest wheat beer I've ever tasted, but it's a very unique flavor and it is one worth trying for sure! It's very light, but full flavored at the same time. It has light flavors of a traditional wheat brew but with normal flavors of an IPA like light citrus and heavy hops. Very hoppy on the nose! Not sure what they used to pull off the sweet flavor, but I can see where they got the name from as I get a sweet candied taste reminding me of "juicy fruit" on the back end as if your literally chewing a gum ball in your mouth. VERY unique and a must try if you ever get the chance.

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

This opens and pours nicely, with a generous head and nice lacing It's hazy and yellow The aroma and look both said IPA, even though I knew that it was not. A very sweet, hoppy aroma.

The unique taste immediately changes gears from the smell. My bottle was nutty tasting at first, then more normal for the style. Perhaps I should have let it sit for a month or two - it was bottled a couple weeks ago. It has a mildly bitter, malty taste, and slightly yeasty taste too. It improves as it warms, but it does not leave me itching for another. The aftertaste is a sweet-bitter lingering.

This unique brew is recommended for a taste.

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the more flavorful wheat beers that I've had.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very good. I see why they call it gumball :)

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tons of citrus in the nose and up front, wheat taste prevalent, excellent brew

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A very good American Pale Ale that I will be making a road trip to Indiana to visit the brewery! A good scores across but the taste of this brew was very good!

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

bottle was a week old straight from brewery. the hop addition nicely complements the malt profile. I will always seek this out. a holy grail beer

4.42/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A very unique tasting wheat beer. Different than any other wheat beer I have had, in a good way.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

I have no words to truly describe this beer. What I can say is that I've been trying to track it down for 18 months. The best description I can give is that it takes the best parts of an IPA and mixes then with a Hefeweizen to result in one of the best beers that I've ever tasted! It's not perfect, the scent is a little pungent on the nose and the color does not quite fit the taste but this beer has to be tasted to be understood. As an added bonus, the packaging is very fun. Now, to hunt down more!

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best wheat beer i've ever tasted. Very drinkable and refreshing!

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into Snifter dated 4/10

A: light gold orange color with great clarity bubbly thick head

S: very hoppy citrusy has that overripe melon smell

T: very nice citrusy taste very similar to yum yum though

M: not bad a little creamy for a wheat it's thicker which is nice

O: this is a great wheat beer but with none of the wheat taste it's just a citrusy hoppy beer. Tastes a lot like Yum yum I tried earlier. The beers are quite similar in taste maybe a water thing this is a nice pale ale but kinda a shitty wheat if that makes sense

Defiantly Not for me ever !!

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My epiphany beer. Without this beer who knows what swill I'd be drinking.

not an american pale wheat guy but this ones as good as you get!

This wheat beer is as good as it gets! Very refreshing!

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.