Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,468 | Hads: 5,331
4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

I don't know where to begin with this brew. It is truly exceptional. There has been a bottle sitting at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank for God knows how long. i refused to buy it as I was not sure about the freshness and was warned off by reviewers on this site. When I saw this today in quanity at another local place - I was stunned and knew it was likely to be fresh. Soooo I Had to try it.

It did not disappoint.

Hazy golden sunshine colour, fluffy white crown, sticky lace and persistent carbonation.

Aroma - Citrus and sweet grass. Lemon and pine, green tomatoes and hints of sweetness.

Taste - Complex. Grapefruit, Ruby Red Sweetness, sour and sweet in alternating traunches. floral and fresh citrusy and piney hops. This is a complex and tasty brew. I will be going back to stock up on this baby. End of story. Buy a case and Into the fridge to wait for August at the Jersey Shore...Hazy, Hot and Humid. This will take the edge off the heat and make it bearable for sure. Worth every penny of the nearly 7 bucks I paid for it.

Amen. (1,056 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Pouring out a golden hue, with little head retention, some lacing though. Aroma of hops, spice, coriander, lemon, and some grapefruit. Taste of lemon, grapefruit, hops, hops, and hops. Some spice inthe begining but seems to fade quickly for me. the hop bitterness is exception. Although for being a wheat beer this is somewhat of the mark but for an interpretation this is excellent. Citrus overtones, with few hints of bread. Mouthfeel is some what dry and bitter, I find the appeal for IPA's, not so much for wheat beers. Overall this is great. Interpretation, by the Floyd family. Very much a great session beer low alcohol, with great taste. This is one of the Floyd family's best I beleive. Keep on brewing your interpretations. (733 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%

Bottle: Poured a slightly hazy gold color beer with a huge bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of citrusy hops is overpowering and I could not discern any wheat. Taste is also totally dominated by the hops and leave very little place for the wheat. Not bad overall, I just don’t see were the American wheat fits in because I could not detect any presence of wheat in this beer. (384 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Pale yellowish copper with about a finger of off-white head. Fruity aroma with citrusy and grassy hops. Also some fairly noticable clove notes. Maybe a touch of caramel too. Well rounded flavor with a nice bitterness up front with some citrus notes and a nice clean wheat finish.. A little caramel provides a nice backbone. Medium bodied. This is a very refeshing beer, I just wish this is something I could enjoy all summer! (425 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

2005 bomber.

This is one delicious beer. It had aged in the basement of Table Wine and Spirits for about 6 months, so it is possible that the hops has dissipated a bit. There was, nonetheless, a strong hoppiness. What makes this beer worderful is the way the wheat taste shines through. It is extremely drinkable, and I know it sounds ridiculous to say about a beer that's only 4.8 abv beer, but with an unlimited supply, it could be dangerously so. (452 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

22 oz. brown bomber bottle with an adventuresome and colorful label, a standard for 3F's packaging. I'm being glared at by Gumballhead himself as I write this. Beer served in a Weizen glass.

The beer enters the glass like liquid gold, widely spaced columns of bubbles rocket to the top of the glass to join forces with the two-finger frothy head.

Smells at first like an American Extra Pale Ale. Mildly earthy with big citrus sensations from the self-proclaimed "boat loads of Amarillo hops". After several minutes the wheat notes come through in the form of dried (wheat) grain and Mexican (woven wool) blanket.

Gumballhead delivers a solid puckering experience once in the mouth. Lots of hop character is evident without being overpowering. I would have suspected Chinook and Fuggle if Amarillo wasn't called out on the label. The only spiciness I detect in this beer is from the hops, and the presence of the wheat in the grain bill rounds that mild spicy flavor out beautifully.

An easy-drinker, this beer finishes well on the dry side. This brew would be great as a summertime session beverage, smooth and satisfying and sitting at under 5% ABV.

This is a beer that lives up to the hype. Recommended.

Props to hero27 for supplying. (1,254 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle Inspection: Brown bomber, 650ml, no abv or date, but red wheat and Amarillo hops noted.

Aroma: Citric rind and hints of coriander. A very strong, unique floral and citric characteristic.

Appearance: Hazy dark gold glass with a faint amber core shows only a short lived head, no lace.

Flavor: Light spices make this wheat beer very interesting. Hop notes are present, but very little bitter, some wet wheat or grain taste, and again, the best I can do is coriander, but I’m not sure that’s it. Very unique.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, light-medium body, slick texture. A bit flat all in all.

Overall Impression: Not much to look at but a great flavor. 3F really shine in this one, a refreshing, intriguing beer. Recommended
Thanks to Rick & Betty for bringing this one back from the heartland. (818 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured a slightly hazy amber with a modest creamy head.

S: Aromas of pine needles, hops, and honey.

T: Very interesting taste with flavors of wheat, honey, and citrus. The taste is complimented by lots of hop flavor, but without much bitterness.

M: Silky smooth with a medium body.

D: Quite interesting. I don't think I would drink this all the time, especially at the price, but it would be a welcome diversion from my usual quaffs. (448 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

A 22 oz. bomber purchased at Fire Waters in Hackensack, NJ.

Pours an orangish color with a moderate head. Needs a little swirl of the glass at times to revitalize the head. Great aroma with lots of piney, citrusy hops coming through the nose. The flavor is enjoyable as well, but is not like any other wheat beer I've previously had. This is more along the lines of a pale ale or even an IPA. Not too harsh on the palate and definitely a very drinkable beer.

I'm guessing this beer is dry hopped from the large amount of hops in the aroma. If you blindfolded me and put it in front of me to smell, I'd probably guess it was an IPA. The beer bar that I was at (Fire Waters) sold this bomber for $16. A delicious brew this definitely is, but $16 it is definitely not worth. Seek this beer out, but avoid paying too much for it. (831 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a very nice golden color with a nice pillowy head that leaves a wonderful lacing on the glass, clearer than most wheat style beers. Smell is hoppy, opens with a floral bouquet and finishes with citrus smells (orange, lemon) and even has some pine in there as well. Taste is glorious, I swear I tasted some banana and bubblegum before the hops takeover mid-drink and hit you with a refreshing citrus burst. Light to medium bodied with a medium carbonation, it really could not be improved on for the style. Drinkability, umm, yeah I could have this wherever, whenever and plenty of it.

Additional information: My bottle was refridgerated since its summer release, and is still this good now, that's just crazy, I was afraid to buy it at first because of how long it was sitting there, but I'm so glad I did. (815 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

As a qualifier, I must first mention that it is currently February 1, and this beer was brewed this past summer, so the quality may be somewhat diminshed... I guess we shall see.

Pours a pale orangey-yellow hue with a monstrous fluffy head... lots of lacing and it appears to be moderately carbonated.

Smells hugely of hops... an interesting differentiator between this style and normal hefes. Some cloviness is apparent in the aroma, along with citrus zest... more orange than lemon. Also, a distinct yeasty aroma is present, most likely due to the bottle fermentation.

Fantastic explosion of flavour... so much more than I would have expected from a beer of this abv. This is definitely a hop smack to the palate, but in an oh so refreshing way. Loads of citrus in the flavour, along with some distinct banana (more like the hefes I'm used to). Wow is all I can say to the flavour of this one... hop burps throughout.

Light and crisp on the tongue, as this style should be... an absolutely perfect summer beer... moderate carbonation with a hop twinge on the tongue... so nice.

I could drink this beer all day long... I can't even imagine how nice this is in the summer months. To all you bastards who can get this beer on a regular basis (and more fresh), I am supremely jealous. I can see how this brewery is consistently talked about as one of the top 5 in the U.S. (1,385 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz
Pours a golden color with very small particles in suspension. Head tan with a slight yellow/green tint. Large bubbles can be seen in the head and through the beer. Smell hits you almost as soon as you open the bottle. Orange citrus and more orange. In the first sip, a smooth almost creamy mouthfeel is evident. Hop taste (orange, a bit of lemon…) is evident, but not overwhelming. Very pale ale-ish with more body and smoothness. Lingering dry bitterness in the aftertaste. Very smooth and easy to drink. Very enjoyable. Still kind of expensive, but one of the cheaper Three Floyds bombers as well. (606 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance - pours a slightly reddish orange and gold. The head is bubbly but not foamy, off-white, and lasts a minute or two before settling to a sparse covering. Clumpy ragged lace is left behind on the glass. Significant cloudiness introduced once the bottom few ounces are added.

Aroma - fresh orange aroma with fragrant pine mixed in. Awesome.

Taste - mirroring the aroma to a tee, it starts out sweet and citrusy, then gives way to some mildly bitter and intensely tasty Amarillo hops. The swallow brings some sweetness back and then finishes with a brief twang of sharp bitterness. A very hoppy wheat beer, very tasty too. I think I prefer it without the yeast though.

Mouthfeel - refreshing crispness, medium body, somewhat gassy but even the burps taste good.

Drinkability - a very good wheat beer, with or without the yeast. (846 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

This poured a hazy deep straw yellow with hints of orange and a small white head. I get a big whiff of orange rind some lemon and not much else. The taste is good, fruity with a hint of bitterness. The fruit is like oranges with a hint of lemon. It has a medium body, low carbonation and has a mostly dry finish. This is very refreshing and very drinkable. I think the hops got attenuated a bit too much from sitting around, I would like to try this when it is fresh. (467 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Had this for the first time over the holidays and was blown away! This is an incredible beer. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, but this beer changed my perception of what wheat beers can be.
In my Jever goblet (courtesy of Dan from the Buy-Rite on Oak Tree Rd. - Thanks!) this beer looks like a mild pilsener with a golden hue that flutters due to the intense carbonation. Aromas of grains, alcohol, tropical fruit, and lemons was just wonderful. The taste was incredible with a crisp lemon-lime like flavor that flows into a hop bitter finish. The smoothness of this beer lends itself to being had in the warmer months with a refreshing character that is absolutely addictive. I just wanted more and more of this beer after my first few sips. (745 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

I poured this bomber into two tulips and observed a slight cloudy, light-golden body, with a small head. Very little carbonation, no sediment.
It had a wonderfully floral hoppy nose, with hints of honey, some wheat, alcohol and plenty of citrus; orange and mild lemon.
The taste was exceptionally complex, with a smack in the face of hops at first, piney, sweet, floral and clean, which faded into a wheaty dry aftertaste. It was only mildly carbonated, and left a clean, dry taste after each sip.
I know this is billed as a wheat, but I got a mostly hoppy ale feeling from this beer. Don't get me wrong, it was right up there with some of the best pale ales and IPAs I've had recently, but not much of a wheat. Overall, extremely complex and 100% unique. (759 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bottle, paid $5.99 for it down the road from the brewery in Munster. Brewed with red wheat and amarillo hops amongst many other things. Pours out to a beautifully hazy golden, having a frosted glass appearance. Forms a modest off-white head with average retention and sparse lacing. Carbonation is moderate-mild like most other 3F's brews. The aroma is full of orange, imparted from the citric nature of the amarillo, but I'm not getting much in the way of MJ resin that I typically do for this hop variety. Mouthfeel is puckery with a slight citric acidity imparted by the hops and I'm guessing the red wheat. The finish is slick and it's medium bodied. The taste begins with a distinct strong pang of mandarin oranges and pine sap, followed by a touch of cereal sweetness which is quickly overpowered by a firm citric bitterness towards the end. Lingering notes of burnt orange peel in the aftertaste.

Quite the interesting beer here. A wheat IPA of sorts with a ton of orange flavor. I bet this would be a great summer beer with brats on a hot sunny day.

Re-review 1/24/13-The carbonation seems much higher than my prior review, closer to 3.0 carbs. Although it says it's bottle conditioned on the label, my beer was very clear with no sediment in the bottle. The carbonation really helps with the head, forming a peaking, rocky light yellow head with awesome retention and great lacing. The nose is still full of grapefruit and mandarin oranges, like a fruit salad or biting into a grapefruit. Wonderful nose. Light bodied, easy to drink, clean, very crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. Finishes bone dry. Medium firm bitterness. A really nice brew. I wish we got 3F up here in northern michigan. (1,703 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

22oz bomber purchased from Once upon a Vine

A: Pretty dark golden brew. 1" white head. Poured into a mini-hefe glass from nashoba valley.

S: As soon as i open the bottle, I was hit with a wave of floral hops. Typical citrus that you expect from a wheat beer.

T: This is one helluva hoppy wheat beer! Yeah, thats about it. Tasty.

M: Effervescent!! This dissipates quite quickly off your tongue - it is quite dry. Very intruiging.

D: My new favorite summertime brew. I could drink these all day long. (515 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

Found some singles at Blue Dog Lansdale.

Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy white head. Head left somepretty thick lacing after it disappeared.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. Very bright wheat, a little grass and citrus - Grapefruit. Lots of it. My nose would prefer I didn't drink this so it could keep smelling, but I have to drink it.

Tastes of a very flowery hopped wheat beer. very clean and very delicious. If it weren't so hazy and had that hint of sourdough, It could be an IPA. It is a great beer.

Drinkability: This is now one of my favorites. What a beer! A case is quite an investment, but if I get the chance to splurge - this will be on the list.

Note: Goes well with baked pork chops.

Edit: After drinking again on multiple occaisions, I had to bump the drinkability and taste up to 5. This beer is simply summer in a bottle - The best drinker I have had to date (919 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

I have got to hand it to 3F for this one. A big beutiful light amber with a good head that leaves lots of lace. Smells wheaty with traces of honey nicely blended with the big citrus and slight pine smell of Amarillo. The taste is damn close to perfect as the full wheat flavor is a touch sweet and well meet by the hops. A great mouthfeel full and direct even at such a low alcohol content. Very drinkable, just sorry to see this go until next year as this was my last bottle. (476 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a weizen glass.

Many thanks to nisjer05 for picking this one up.
Very clear bright golden yellow color, with a one inch fluffy white head, that decipates quickly with lots of sticky lacing. Slight piney,citrusy smell with a hint of wheat and maybe lemon. This brew reminded me of lemon flavored ice tea, with a slight hopey bitterness at the end. A medium-light bodied feel with little carbonation.
I would consider this a good session brew. Low alcohol content and a light bodied feel makes for easy drinkin'. I will plan on heading to Toledo sometime soon to pick up some more of Three Floyds brews. (639 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice golden body filed with medium-sized CO² bubbles floating lazily toward the stark white collar of foam. Clarity is outstanding while the lacing clocks in 'round 10%.

This brew is an interesting and complex mixture of tastes which begin with a tart hop sting upon entry which eases into a smooth wheaty midtaste. While the label refers to the finish as "lemony", thisa taster finds it to be a wonderful juicy fruit hop bite instead.

As it warms the nose begins to take on a beautiful Belgian tone. Many thanks to Brewfan for this bomber! (547 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a very cloudy golden, medium white head forms, lots of sticky lace. Smell is pine and citrus hops, some floral, wheat and caramel. Taste is caramel, some pine and citrus, grassy malt and a clean bitter finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, medium carbonation, very tasty and unique take on an American wheat, 3F style. (331 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

into my weizen glass it pours a beautiful golden honey color with a nice two in pure foam head that leaves nice lacing down the sides of the glass. A beautiful looking beer. Smells of honey and wheat and mild fruit. A very nice taste as well. You can definatley tastet the honey and wheat. Mouthfeel is superb very light and crisp. I'm sorry i waited this long to crack this one open. I have to say one of my favorites (418 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer pours a cloudy golden color, with a thin almost tan lace. The smell is of wheat, lemon, honey, some grass essence. The taste is very smooth, kind of sweet from the honey and a little tart from the lemons. It really goes well together. This is a great wheat ale one that I could drink all year around. (310 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.