Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,152 | Reviews: 1,504
4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Had this for the first time over the holidays and was blown away! This is an incredible beer. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers, but this beer changed my perception of what wheat beers can be.
In my Jever goblet (courtesy of Dan from the Buy-Rite on Oak Tree Rd. - Thanks!) this beer looks like a mild pilsener with a golden hue that flutters due to the intense carbonation. Aromas of grains, alcohol, tropical fruit, and lemons was just wonderful. The taste was incredible with a crisp lemon-lime like flavor that flows into a hop bitter finish. The smoothness of this beer lends itself to being had in the warmer months with a refreshing character that is absolutely addictive. I just wanted more and more of this beer after my first few sips.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

I poured this bomber into two tulips and observed a slight cloudy, light-golden body, with a small head. Very little carbonation, no sediment.
It had a wonderfully floral hoppy nose, with hints of honey, some wheat, alcohol and plenty of citrus; orange and mild lemon.
The taste was exceptionally complex, with a smack in the face of hops at first, piney, sweet, floral and clean, which faded into a wheaty dry aftertaste. It was only mildly carbonated, and left a clean, dry taste after each sip.
I know this is billed as a wheat, but I got a mostly hoppy ale feeling from this beer. Don't get me wrong, it was right up there with some of the best pale ales and IPAs I've had recently, but not much of a wheat. Overall, extremely complex and 100% unique.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz bottle, paid $5.99 for it down the road from the brewery in Munster. Brewed with red wheat and amarillo hops amongst many other things. Pours out to a beautifully hazy golden, having a frosted glass appearance. Forms a modest off-white head with average retention and sparse lacing. Carbonation is moderate-mild like most other 3F's brews. The aroma is full of orange, imparted from the citric nature of the amarillo, but I'm not getting much in the way of MJ resin that I typically do for this hop variety. Mouthfeel is puckery with a slight citric acidity imparted by the hops and I'm guessing the red wheat. The finish is slick and it's medium bodied. The taste begins with a distinct strong pang of mandarin oranges and pine sap, followed by a touch of cereal sweetness which is quickly overpowered by a firm citric bitterness towards the end. Lingering notes of burnt orange peel in the aftertaste.

Quite the interesting beer here. A wheat IPA of sorts with a ton of orange flavor. I bet this would be a great summer beer with brats on a hot sunny day.

Re-review 1/24/13-The carbonation seems much higher than my prior review, closer to 3.0 carbs. Although it says it's bottle conditioned on the label, my beer was very clear with no sediment in the bottle. The carbonation really helps with the head, forming a peaking, rocky light yellow head with awesome retention and great lacing. The nose is still full of grapefruit and mandarin oranges, like a fruit salad or biting into a grapefruit. Wonderful nose. Light bodied, easy to drink, clean, very crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. Finishes bone dry. Medium firm bitterness. A really nice brew. I wish we got 3F up here in northern michigan.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bomber purchased from Once upon a Vine

A: Pretty dark golden brew. 1" white head. Poured into a mini-hefe glass from nashoba valley.

S: As soon as i open the bottle, I was hit with a wave of floral hops. Typical citrus that you expect from a wheat beer.

T: This is one helluva hoppy wheat beer! Yeah, thats about it. Tasty.

M: Effervescent!! This dissipates quite quickly off your tongue - it is quite dry. Very intruiging.

D: My new favorite summertime brew. I could drink these all day long.

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

Found some singles at Blue Dog Lansdale.

Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy white head. Head left somepretty thick lacing after it disappeared.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. Very bright wheat, a little grass and citrus - Grapefruit. Lots of it. My nose would prefer I didn't drink this so it could keep smelling, but I have to drink it.

Tastes of a very flowery hopped wheat beer. very clean and very delicious. If it weren't so hazy and had that hint of sourdough, It could be an IPA. It is a great beer.

Drinkability: This is now one of my favorites. What a beer! A case is quite an investment, but if I get the chance to splurge - this will be on the list.

Note: Goes well with baked pork chops.

Edit: After drinking again on multiple occaisions, I had to bump the drinkability and taste up to 5. This beer is simply summer in a bottle - The best drinker I have had to date

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

I have got to hand it to 3F for this one. A big beutiful light amber with a good head that leaves lots of lace. Smells wheaty with traces of honey nicely blended with the big citrus and slight pine smell of Amarillo. The taste is damn close to perfect as the full wheat flavor is a touch sweet and well meet by the hops. A great mouthfeel full and direct even at such a low alcohol content. Very drinkable, just sorry to see this go until next year as this was my last bottle.

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a weizen glass.

Many thanks to nisjer05 for picking this one up.
Very clear bright golden yellow color, with a one inch fluffy white head, that decipates quickly with lots of sticky lacing. Slight piney,citrusy smell with a hint of wheat and maybe lemon. This brew reminded me of lemon flavored ice tea, with a slight hopey bitterness at the end. A medium-light bodied feel with little carbonation.
I would consider this a good session brew. Low alcohol content and a light bodied feel makes for easy drinkin'. I will plan on heading to Toledo sometime soon to pick up some more of Three Floyds brews.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Nice golden body filed with medium-sized CO² bubbles floating lazily toward the stark white collar of foam. Clarity is outstanding while the lacing clocks in 'round 10%.

This brew is an interesting and complex mixture of tastes which begin with a tart hop sting upon entry which eases into a smooth wheaty midtaste. While the label refers to the finish as "lemony", thisa taster finds it to be a wonderful juicy fruit hop bite instead.

As it warms the nose begins to take on a beautiful Belgian tone. Many thanks to Brewfan for this bomber!

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very cloudy golden, medium white head forms, lots of sticky lace. Smell is pine and citrus hops, some floral, wheat and caramel. Taste is caramel, some pine and citrus, grassy malt and a clean bitter finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, medium carbonation, very tasty and unique take on an American wheat, 3F style.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

into my weizen glass it pours a beautiful golden honey color with a nice two in pure foam head that leaves nice lacing down the sides of the glass. A beautiful looking beer. Smells of honey and wheat and mild fruit. A very nice taste as well. You can definatley tastet the honey and wheat. Mouthfeel is superb very light and crisp. I'm sorry i waited this long to crack this one open. I have to say one of my favorites

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

This beer pours a cloudy golden color, with a thin almost tan lace. The smell is of wheat, lemon, honey, some grass essence. The taste is very smooth, kind of sweet from the honey and a little tart from the lemons. It really goes well together. This is a great wheat ale one that I could drink all year around.

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

Serving temp: 45F Serving Glass: Weizen Glass

Aroma: Lots of hops in this brew. Strong floral & grassy notes with a sugary sweetness there too. I finally get that asprin like quality that some people have mentioned plague Amarillo hops. Doesn't really detract from the beer though.

Appearance: Cloudy blonde with a bone white head and great lacing. Just like a Wheat Beer should look, with the exception of what looks to be relatively low carbonation for the style.

Taste: The hops obviously hit me first and linger for a long time atferwards, too. Reminds me of several citrus fruits, most notably orange. The sweetness kicks in next and gives balance to the moderate bitterness of the beer. Sweet like sugary candy. Finally, I realize that this is indeed a Wheat Beer. A little bit of fruity yeastiness peeks through at the end and just a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and lively carbonation is here, along with a thicker feel to it than I expected out of a Wheat Beer. Still light and refreshing, however.

Drinkability: I really could drink this brew all day, Summer, Winter, Autumn, Spring.. Interesting (very hoppy) interpetation of this style.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

22oz bottle given to me by a friend from Indiana.

Poured a pale golden colour with a big white head that eventually settled down to a thin white layer of small bubbles. The aroma is all citrus and floral hops with a slight graininess. The hops is equally strong in the flavour with a hint of the wheat. A bit of a green, grassy finish that mellowed slightly as the beer warmed. You definitely need to be a big fan of Amarillo hops to enjoy this beer and fortunately, I am! A delicious and highly drinkable beer, particularly for the summer months.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Bombed poured into my Aventinus Weizen glass.

Appearance: Golden hazy yellow, lots of thick bubbles coming to the surface. Lacing's a bit spotty, and the head keeps recharing because this glass is so awesome, which helps.

Smell: Wonderful floral aromas of aromatic hops and citrus (acidic orange and grapefruit), along with some sweetness of the wheat malt. I'm having trouble getting my nose out, as it's pretty awesome.

Taste: An insanely well-done combination of wheat malt and hops. Like a hefeweizen versus an IPA? How were they able to do this? First a citrus-y touch of hops, balanced and delicious, then ending with the wheat malt sweetness, with a great aftaste of both of them melding well. Wowness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy at first, ending with moderate carbonation and some crisp bite at the end.

Drinkability: I paid about $6 for the bomber, and this is going down quickly because it's damn tasty and easy to drink. But overall a pretty incredible beer, and surely worth a try. Pretty complex and simultaneously easy and pleasurable to drink.

4.84/5  rDev +15%

I have heard a lot of good things about this beer, so I was excited to try it. It is fantastic! Aroma is tons of Amarillo hops (which I can't get enough of) with just a little bit of sweetness. Taste is fanatastic as well, lots of flavor from the Amarillo. Good amount of bitterness, but malt characteristics still come through. Mouthfeel is great, and this is really the only place that I can tell it is a wheat beer. Very smooth feel. This beer has held up to the hype. It sure isn't what I'd normally expect from a wheat beer, but other than that, it's hard to criticize this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

I was at the Harmon Brewing Co. in Tacoma last year for a Brewmaster's Dinner. It was the night they released their Harmon's Killer Brew (very bad pun in that for all you Twins fans), but the courses for the evening were paired with their beers starting at the lightest (their Blonde) and moving all the way up to their porter, finishing up with the very malty Killer Brew. The beer that accompanied the second course that evening was their Wollochet Point Wheat Ale, a beer that was so hoppy I was weirded out by the whole thing. It was delicious, mind you, and exceptionally well done, I simply didn't expect it. Gumballhead is also quite hoppy, but this time I'm prepared for it.

Appearance: Pours a deep gold with a pale white headhead that doesn't stick around long enough for me to get its phone number. Minimal lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Truth be known, I think the aroma hops are actually stronger than the bittering hops themselves. That may contribute to some of the legend this beer has for wheaty hoppiness (or whatever). I don't know if they are using Amarillos for aroma as well as bittering, but they are very strong and oh so lemony smelling. And they completely obliterate any malt nose that might be present.

Taste: That wheat malt makes a very quick appearance in between the bittering and the finishing hops, leaving a very smooth, almost creamy malt trail down the back of the tongue. It's different, but I like it. Unfortunately, the finish just isn't as hoppy as the nose would lead you to believe it will be. In that, it's a little disappointing.

Mouthfeel: I couldn't tell you why, but it's not quite right to me. It feels just a bit thin, even though I know this beer is only rolling in at 4.8%. I think it's the hop levels that lead me to want a little more body out of the beer, and maybe a slightly higher ABV. Perhaps my expectations are completely whack.

Drinkability: I have to give this a 3.5 based solely on price. This is a very good, very refreshing beer. But I bought this at Beverage Warehouse in Cleveland Heights, OH for $6.99. That's just too damn much for a bomber of a light summer wheat ale. Next time I'm in Tacoma, I'm going to stop in at Harmon (because I just HATE doing that) and pick up a bomber of their wheat and see how it stands up to the Gumballhead. I'm going to make the wild-ass guess that it will hold up very, very nicely, at $3 less per bomber..

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Picked this one up in New Jersey of all places on my swing through the northern states last month. Pours a hazy golden color without a whole lot of visible carbonation. A whispy white creamy head recedes to just a bit of lace after a few minutes. Aroma is hops, hops, and more amarillo hops, with a subtle sweetness mixed in (almost honey, but not quite). The palate is an enjoyable blend of an unfiltered wheat character with some assertive, sharp hop flavor. Bitterness comes through mid-palate, but smooths out on the finish. A bit of an astringent character strikes somewhere along the line, too, providing a bracing effect. Body is nice, crispy and not too light, with decent carbonation. Very drinkable, even during a cool fall evening. Wish I could score some more of this stuff here in NC.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Very light cloudy straw-yellow in color, with a foamy but short lived yellow-whilte head. Smells grassy/hoppy, with hint of some good yeast. Taste is fairly complex, with wheat up front, followed quickly by lingering herbal hops, a little baking soda taste of carbonation, and some bitter lemon peel aftertaste. It is odd how the hop taste just hangs on, and then the odd soda taste chimes in. The mouthfeel is nice, and it has refreshing light carbonation.

It's good, but it has an extemely long lasting flavor, almost to the point of being cloying. It is like an odd combination of a summer brew and a winter warmer. Personaly, I would go for something either more refreshing or more potent.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance is very good, despite a very small head... a hazy straw/golden wheat. Looks great.

Smell is wonderful. Sweet hops abound. Some spicy cinnamon-like notes in the whiff as well. A touch of lemon and citrus. Sweet.

Flavor is right on. A subtle hoppiness at first that flares up at the back of the tongue into a very nice hoppy flavor. Citrusy. Smooth. Excellent.

Finishes very dry. Very good.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I’ve had this beer in my beer closet for most of the summer, I might as well take it a taste of it. The color is a hazy darker yellow with some cloudiness but you still are able to gaze through the glass. A frothy head that disappears quickly and limited lacing. The aroma is strong in the hops especially for a wheat beer. A slight citrus orange smell with some pine action going on.

The taste is strong hopped for a wheat. Not a big surprise from Three Flyods. A piney somewhat grassy taste at the top and then blends with a sweeter orangey malt backing. Hint of lemongrass and grapefruit are good descriptive words for the taste. The tang of the hops remains throughout the aftertaste and leaves a metallic or chalky taste. The body is light with limited carbonation, which is ok per style.

To me, wheat beers are supposed to be smooth and easy drinking. This is hoppy with bite. A like that it is very unique in taste, but I think per style it’s off, so thus down on the drinkability.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

22 oz. bomber

Pours a a hazy sunset yellow. Slight head that fades fast with some lacing. Looks like a nice wheat beer.

Smell is pure amarillo hops. From using them myself, I can spot them a mile away. Smells more like an IPA than a wheat. Making me drool.

Taste is very unique! The refreshing citrus of the Amarillo followed by a very lemony aftertaste. This is absolutely delicious and very refreshing.

This is one smooth beer. It just feels good in my mouth.

I could drink this a lot. I wish I had been able to find more than 1 bomber. What a treat!

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

22 oz. Bomber poured into traditional pint glass. No freshness date.

A - Rich, cloudy orange color. Not too much head when properly poured. Most of it faded quickly but a nice thin layer stayed caked on top.

S - Florals, citrus fruit (lemon, orange), hoppy spices

T - Mostly hoppy bitterness, tastes more like a pale ale than a wheat. Florals predominate, with presence of fruit, spice and a hint of bubblegum (especially in the head)

M - Full, smooth as floods your palate, then bitterness attacks and almost overpowers. Ever so lightly carbonated.

D - Nice summer session beer, but a bit too bitter for my taste.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

presentation: 22oz. bomber with a brightly colored label. crayon colored oval with the comic character gumballhead the cat in the center. three floyds logo is at the bottom of the oval with gumballhead wheat beer around the top of the oval. three floyd's interpretation of their wheat beer is on the right of the label along with some basic info about the comic and a web link. a map to the brewery is below this explanation. no freshness date or abv displayed.

appearance: pours a bright yellow-orange with even brighter yellow highlights in a stein mug. nice 2 inch white fluffy head. good retention and lacing. very clear with bubbles rising methodically.

smell: lemony, orangey and grainy. floral and lightly spicy hops. excellent bouquet. faintest touch of bubblegum while sipping.

taste: nice citrus hops and bitters. oranges and lemons with a blurry flavor of lightly sweet wheat malts. hops are king here. finish is a touch dry with a light bitterness and a lingering touch of sourness.

mouthfeel: crisp clean medium body. there is a very light residual layer left on the tongue. very smooth rolling in your mouth and swallows just as smooth. excellent mouthfeel for a wheat beer.

drinkability: are you kidding me? excellent drinkability. perfect summer session brew. alcohol is nowhere to be found. bitterness isn't over the top. very aromatic and flavorful.

overall: this is what i'm talkin' about! a nice change of pace from traditional hefes, without the bananas and cloves. very drinkable, smooth, aromatic and flavorful. what more can you ask for? nice session brew. i'll take this any time.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a wonderful hop scent that really refreshes along with a good malt aroma. It has wheat, pale, and some light crystal malts; very complex aroma. The taste is great. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor with loads of hops all the way through. This is probably the most hops I've ever had in a wheat beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is best American wheat beer I've ever had. I love a hoppy wheat ale.

2.89/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wheat ale my arse ! This was a weak IPA. Good lookin’ pour – hazy orange with sticky ivory laces. But the aroma and taste, wow, strong kick of florals! Not near enough wheat barley in this one – but the bottle does say "boat loads of Amarillo hops." Well, yeah. Tangy, crisp & tart. OK to drink – if you’re ready for an IPA.

Side: awfully high priced ($5.20 for 22oz) – I’d rather spent $6 on a sixer of Sammy/Schalfly wheat ales.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.