1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

GumballheadGumballhead

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Ratings: 3,765 | Reviews: 1,381 | Show All Ratings:
BradtheGreat7

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growler filled at Cont. Liquors Ashland, Ky. I usually get awesome fills here, but today I was running short on time and the employee present really isn't experienced enough at this, so we will see. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - bright golden with some yellowish tones to it. Head was nice to start but quickly vanished into a small ring of white lace. This small ring left minimal if no stick to the glass.

S - lemony, fruity and somewhat floral hop aroma. Wheat character is faint with a pretty solid FFF style yeast aroma. Peach and marmalade? Maybe as I can hint the peach.

T - more odd ball fruitiness which is refreshing with a big note of lemon with softer notes of a somewhat sour peach. Flavor is slightly sweet though the malt never really gets a firm grip on anything as the hops take over middle to back yet the wheat and yeast do a nice job of keeping the bitterness crisp in the finish. This is definitely a wheat ale inspired by Amarillo hops and has a unique factor going on. Clean and crisp finish.

M - medium bodied and carries a good thickness to it. It's just what you get with a FFF brew. Great ale for summer

O - I've had this from a bottle and this review was taken off the 2nd time I had it from a growler poured fresh. I have to say this pour does not do this ale justice and ill have to track down a few bottles to get the review across. I'm not going to sit here and pound this ale as if I didn't enjoy it nor am I going to rip the girl that did the fill. But I'm not going to pretend like I loved it either bc its one of my go to breweries. This Is a very good pale wheat ale and one of the best. The problem is its a subpar style. It has all the right qualities to being the best pale wheat ale in the world as I'm sure a bottled version or a proper fill would have shined. I'm sure ill re-review this here soon with better results.

06-25-2013 20:25:59 | More by BradtheGreat7
deadonhisfeet

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from my growler into a Three Floyds pub glass. Appearance is clear with a nice pale gold color and a big rocky white head. Nose carries soft notes of flowers, pine, sweet oranges, and peaches.

The taste follows the nose. Nice, light grainy taste in the front of the palate like breakfast flakes, then at mid-palate the hops kick in and provides a fruity accompaniment, introducing flavors of tangerines and peaches. The combination of the hops and the wheat brings a nice dry, satisfying finish. Mouthfeel is thin to medium thin and is good for this style. I do wish there was a bit more carbonation.

Overall, this is a wonderful, tasty, refreshing beer. I'm not a huge fan of American wheat beers (I prefer the German variety), but 3F has taken what can be a boring style and made something really tasty out of it. This beer would definitely take the pain out of cutting the grass in the summertime. I wish I could get my hands on it more than just once or twice a year.

01-28-2012 20:10:37 | More by deadonhisfeet
Rob315

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Look: Clear golden color with a foamy white head that leaves lacing sticking all over the sides of the glass

Smell: Hops, piney citrus notes, sweet candied fruits, bready, wheat

Taste: Flowery hops fade into peach, apricots, wheat and breadiness, subtle piney notes show up. Crisp refreshing body and finish.

Overall: Refreshing and highly drinkable, this would be a great beer for spring and summer drinking.

01-28-2012 01:04:35 | More by Rob315
blastyaker

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Great anytime beer. Light yellow in color hoppy smell on pour citrus taste. Small head disapates rather quickly. Had it New Years Eve but would definitely drink anytime. Three Floyds hit the mark again for me. The store where I usually buy my growlers sells out of this very fast and I was lucky to get some this time cant wait to have some again real soon.

12-31-2011 23:35:37 | More by blastyaker
bobhits

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

There is something so zombie dust about this beer. Sure it as best I know isn't a one top beer and I really doubt it is all Circa, but damn if it doesn't have that same citrus one hop like note. The difference being wheat and a lot less malt and alcohol feel.

Pours crystal clear as most american wheat beers do, minimal carbonation but it leave a good bit of lacing. Pretty lively carbonation, but nothing like the explosive Belgian and German beers do.

The aromas are hops and more hops, the malt is nearly gone. Still nothing to bite you or over power, just citrus juicy melons pineapples and grapefruit.

This one has citrus notes with a nice hop character from start to finish with late what drying effect that dies to the hop finish. To say this is the best American wheat beer is an understatement, this is actually good beer which no other American wheat I've had could ever dream of claiming.

Extremely drinkable though I personally like a touch more body. Still for a summer beer chaser look no further.

It isn't dreadnaught, panzer, alpha king, or zombie dust...it is lighter yet still packs such a wonderful hop profile and presence that I just can't say enough about what this beer does. I want to knock it for something but damn...just can't.

10-20-2011 23:27:00 | More by bobhits
Rampage1

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer has to be without a doubt my favorite session beer bar none out there. I believe this was my first beer I ever had from Three Floyds years and years ago but never gets old. I love the nose of this beer and how easy it goes down. Nothing like gumballhead in the summer.

Appearence: Has a golden,darker orange color to it with large bubbles of carbonation and pure white head.

Smell: Has lots of tropical smells-- mostly citrus-- orange peel and a little pineapple to the smell. No real malty smells at all.

Taste: Taste is all hops and pretty bitter. You get a lot of fruity flavors like the smell. You can taste an orange/grapefruit taste with a really dry finish to it. I can not detect much malt to this one at all. Mostly all hops and real dry and crisp on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation and pretty thin like a typical IPA.

Drinkability: I will be able to put this one away no problem. Easy drinking and not to heavy on the palate so far. Good stuff but you can tell its lower in alcohol and not alot of malt going on.

06-04-2011 05:41:27 | More by Rampage1
Lolli1315

A- Golden in color with a small white head composed of small bubbles. Lacing is apparent throughout the drinking of the beer.

S- Hops become very apparent from the get go, surprisingly so. They lend to an orange and lemon smell that goes with the hops quite well.

T- Once again, the hops take over in the taste from the very beginning. The grapefruit, orange, and lemon become apparent with the latter two being more dominate as the beer develops. There is an increase in a bready character of the beer towards the middle that settles down in the finish. The malt never really makes it through much with the hops dominating from the start to the finish.

M- Medium bodied and moderate, slightly prickly carbonation on the tongue.

D- I knew this was a hoppy taste for an American Pale Wheat, but the amount still surprised me a little. That being said, I think this would be a very refreshing beer for a warm day and would certainly get it again.

03-29-2011 15:20:45 | More by Lolli1315
tsatem

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Growler into a pint glass, thanks to calbertb2.

A: Big, creamy looking wheat-y head. The color is kind of a pale, quite clear yellow and really not all that appealing. Lacing is pretty great.

S: Lots of hops here! Not exactly what I was expecting. The wheat brings out the earthy notes in a really nice way - I get a lot of grass and pine, all with a grain-like backbone. Lots of citrus as well, mostly grapefruit - great balance between these two aroma groups. Smells like summer on a farm, which is really nice.

T: Everything is a little bit more muted here than it is on the nose. I generally don't love beers like this, but this is super refreshing on a really warm day. Everything is in the same order as the aroma - the bitterness is really subdued by the earthy notes, and the hop tastes are more earthy than citrusy, though the grapefruit flavor is still present.

M: A little bit thin. I was hoping for something more from the aroma. This makes for a really crisp, light beer however.

D: The drinkability of this is phenomenal. I'm enjoying it outside on a 75+ degree day and I'm sure I'm going to have no problem finishing the growler by myself. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this is really hitting the spot.

03-11-2011 21:11:34 | More by tsatem
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a growler from Chuck's a couple of weeks ago and I'm finally getting around to cracking this one open... Hope I didn't wait too long...

Pours an orangish golden with a very slow forming head of about 1/2 inch or so which fades pretty quickly.. good carbonation though so I don't think it's faded a whole lot just yet..

Very hop dominant aromas coming out of the glass with a big orange kick to it... Lots of citrus aromas along with the slightest breath of wheat to it... Definitely more hop forward then any other American Pale Wheat I've ever had... This could be interesting...

Well... It's definitely hoppier than any other wheat ale I've ever had.. but it just doesn't seem as hoppy as the aromas would indicate.. It actually reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which I do love but it just doesn't feel right here.. I think I let this sit around longer than I should have so it could be my fault... It's not unpleasant in the least but I think I built this up so much in my mind after having a sample that I was expecting a hop monster which this isn't... Fairly straightforward pale ale taste with a wheat ale label...

I liked the beer... don't get me wrong... But there's no wow factor that made me immediately wish I'd bought another growler of it..

03-06-2011 02:15:07 | More by Tilley4
BeerLover99

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

A: yellow body, mild orange hue, 1 finger head, great lacing.

S: wheat, earthy pine, orange peel

T: sweet wheat and orange peel up front, bitter drawn out finish

M: med/light body, solid carbonation, slight prick on tongue

D: Three Floyds makes good beer, this has gateway potential for a newbie, but the bitter finish may turn people off. This is a good session/summer brew, but still highly prefer Alpha King over this.
Finally had this growler, freshly brewed from FFF.

THINK SESSIONABLE; TRY IT!

02-25-2011 19:46:12 | More by BeerLover99
hooliganlife

Missouri

HUGE thanks to sean9689!

pours was fairly clear bright yellow orange with a light head that held its place well.

very floral and sweet, like sweet citrus in the back ground

light wheat through out with a big floral amarillo hop flavor. the draft and freshness of this trumped the usual bottle. there was a bit more bitterness and less sweetness. that really made this stand out.

nice moderate carbonation and smoothness. medium body.

this was perfect. shared this with family and it was a hit. as noted above, this had a bit more bitterness that made this much much better than the bottle version im used to.

09-27-2009 23:02:34 | More by hooliganlife
ThirstyBird

Germany

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Popped this growler one week after it was poured and after a long road trip from Indiana.

Hazy light honey gold in color.
I get some grapefruit off the nose
Tastes of grapefruit, cane sugar
A very sooth beer
This beer was SO easy to drink. I can see why people rave about FFF beer.

10-18-2008 00:09:12 | More by ThirstyBird
tpd975

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Golden yellow in color with a solid one finger head. The head dies to a nice ring and left behind nice thin sheets of lace.

S: The hoptastic aroma is what always brings me back to this one. Nice citrus hops with light touches of sweet pine and earthy green grass notes.

T: Your typical wheat beer this is not. The taste of bold citrus hops is what this one is all about. It has the taste of a piece of fresh Florida grapefruit with a nice piney sweetness in the finish. This beer like most from 3 Floyd's is VERY aggressive for the style. This aggressiveness is what put them in a class of their own to us loyal following of HopHeads.

M: Nice crisp carbonation very smooth.

D: Very drinkable. I really like this beer. Three Floyd's never disappoints. I am glad I am back home in Indiana for a short stay. A growler of this delivered by my brother was the right way to kick off my trip.

10-10-2008 13:56:36 | More by tpd975
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for generously sharing this and thanks to Wes for carting it back from Indiana to Rhode Island. Served in a tumbler. Poured a murky yellow-gold. No head or lacing during the session. Nose is primarily grapefruit, but character was not at all sharp. Also picked up a mild hops presence towards the back. Taste is consistent with nose. Very smooth and balanced. Mouthfeel was light-bodied with even carbonation throughout. Drinkability was fantastic. So easy drinking; easily the best APA I've ever had.

09-19-2008 01:45:59 | More by Jwale73
SMark

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This beer was poured into a weizen glass with a nice white foamy head containing lots of bubbles. It was surprisingly clear and a bright golden yellow in color.

If I said there was a hint of hops in the aroma, it would be an understatement. They almost jumped out of the glass. There was some grassiness with the hops which I found to be enjoyable.

Taste was lively with all the hops and I could not get bubblegum out of my head. This was refreshing at its best with the light wheat flavors coming through after the initial hit of the hops.

The beer was well received and made me appreciate getting the growler. There was a slight, pleasing after taste which gave way and then invited another sip or two or three. This one was not all consuming but definitely fun.

My wife enjoyed a sip of this before she had to leave for the evening. I will stay in her good graces and not finish the entire growler by myself even though it is tempting. I am guessing she will ask if there is any left when she comes home. This is an enjoyable beer with a lot going on. Well enough of this, I'm going back to enjoying.

05-21-2008 23:47:46 | More by SMark
mynie

Indiana

12 oz bottle. Superfresh.

As I've gotten older I've become less impressed with the Xtreme. Yeah a hop bomb is nice, here and again. But they're easier to brew than you might think, and there's really not much room to move and innovate when you're going overboard. And, really, who the hell can drink that much regularly? Sometimes I don't want to get plastered off of one beer.

So then what's the best beer in the world? Rogue's stouts, Chocolate and Shakespeare, both make good cases for themselves. But in spite of their perfection they're really rich. I mean, yeah, they're f'in perfect. But you can't picture yourself drinking them like water, can you? As regular as clockwork, as much of a nonevent as it is a beautiful, glorious affirmation of something or other?

What's more perfect, your wife or a supermodel? Honestly? Both are valid choices, I think. Different personalities will choose differently. There is in my opinion a miracle in regularity. If something can be super enjoyable on a regular basis then it's better that something that can be overwhelmingly enjoyable once or twice in your entire lifetime. I'd rather have a really nice job than get to go on an awesome vacation for one week a year, is what I'm saying.

And here comes Gumballhead, the best beer that's ever been brewed anywhere by anybody. The hop profile is perfect. The pour is perfect. The aroma is like an herb garden that fucked a flower and had a bunch of a cute little pink and green babies. It's not overwhelming. It's just... it's just perfect.

03-18-2008 07:56:26 | More by mynie
yelterdow

What a score... thanks to the EPseja for the rare opportunity to get as close to the tap as possible here in NJ!

From a growler, served in a pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear gold, supporting a two-finger head sustaining well on the relatively light-bodied look of the beer.

Smell- Beautiful fresh Amarillo hops, exhibiting the wonderful aromas of sweet, honeyed grapefruit.

Taste- A good burst of honeyed grapefruit first, then it mellows out with a tangy bitterness in a smooth transition.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Easy and smooth, great for this style. I do prefer the bottled version over the draft, I think the bottle conditioning has a lot to do with the subtle complexities that really make this beer a standout.

08-30-2006 13:46:10 | More by yelterdow
karst

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

44 hrs after being filled to the brim 3F's 64 oz growler put a 3 finger head (with an easy pour!) in a Weisen glass over a light honey gold wheat that showed some impressive lace. This travels well, making the 400+ mi trip back to Mid Missouri with little loss of aroma from compared to the the Tap at 3F - some slight changes in the taste which could merely be due to the different enviornments of home and the brewery. I prefer the tap - it never runs out!

This wheat offer no clove or banna as usually expected in a wheat - correct for an American Pale wheat Ale. A little alcoholic aroma emerged about half glass as it warmed. very nice round mouth feel and those hops! The after taste offer a brief bitter send off in a very clean finish. With the taste suggesting a well hopped IPA, I am amazed that the malts balance the hop level so well. When you let this cat out of the growler your going to fight over the last highly drinkable drop.

06-19-2005 22:23:23 | More by karst
ajcuster89

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite wheat beer because it is not your typical wheat beer. Excellent smells of fruit and wheat all at once, the taste is even better. Lots of wheat flavor, but with the attitude of a pale ale. Good head and lacing for a lighter offering. Highly recommend this one to any beer drinker.

04-14-2014 23:30:31 | More by ajcuster89
sid240

4.51/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was my first try at American Hoppy Wheat beers. Wow, what an eye opener. The appearance is a very clear pale orange/yellow color, small white head. The smell is all fruit: orange, peach and tangerine. I really like the fact that those flavors are not the only thing you get, this is a well integrated wheat beer.

04-13-2014 14:07:36 | More by sid240
Beric

Indiana

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Serving: On-tap in a nonic pint
Served: 11 April 2014

Appearance: Crystal clear, which is somewhat weird for a wheat beer in my opinion. Good deep golden color. Small, foamy white head that leaves incredible lacing. The lacing is beautiful on this one.

Smell: Smells like fresh hops with a slight bit of lemongrass.

Taste: This one was a little weird, honestly. The front of the palate was dominated by juicy, fresh hoppiness and then there was an astringent, somewhat harsh finish. The wheat flavor added some grassy graininess to this without any of the characteristic soft banana tones usually found in this still. This made the taste mid-swallow and on the back of the tongue really unbalanced towards this strange taste note of weird bitter grassiness. The hop flavors were really most evident in the front of the palate and immediately disappeared.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, especially after sitting for a little while.

Overall: I was unimpressed with this one. The taste was very unbalanced and awkward, especially mid-swallow and after swallowing. The wheat seems to have thinned the beer and added weird astringent tastes rather than being used to build body and soft banana esters. I would like to see this one unfiltered and more like a hopped up Oberon, 312 Urban Wheat, or witbier. Disappointed.

04-12-2014 18:12:36 | More by Beric
Damian

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Drank from a 12 fl oz/355 ml bottle acquired in a trade with mps
Bottled 02/13/14
Served in a pint glass

Nearly clear, light golden-amber appearance. Just a touch of yeast sneaked into the glass on the pour, clouding the liquid ever-so-slightly. The beer was topped by a tight, creamy and bubbly, off-white crown that slowly dropped to a clingy film. Rings of dippy lacing coated much of the glass.

The aroma was interesting. Hoppy yet somewhat subtle initially. The hops were fruity and citrusy. Good amount of tangerine and orange peel. Some white grapefruit as well. Touch of lemony tartness. Really pleasant overall, but I was hoping for a bit more punchiness. Subtle tropical fruit notes came out as the beer warmed. Mango and papaya were detectible. Some sweet malt notes appeared as well. Impressive.

The flavor profile was also very hop forward but, unlike the nose, it was much more dry and bitter. Orange peel led things off. Loads of white grapefruit. Super lemony and tart in the center. A pale malt base hardly managed to keep the hops in check. Lemony tartness and bitter grapefruit rind carried into the bone dry, resiny finish. Pithy, bitter hop notes lingered on my palate long after every sip.

The mouthfeel was solid. Medium bodied for the style. The liquid contained a crisp, lively effervescence that turned slick, creamy and smooth on the palate.

Gumballhead definitely pushes the limits of an American pale wheat ale. Although I typically love all types of extreme beers, I wish that this one had more wheat character and was truer to the style.

04-11-2014 03:19:15 | More by Damian
BeerandWhiskeyHQ

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance
Pale golden with slight haze with a small/medium pure white head
Nose
Hops and lots of fruity notes and grapefruit. Smells “light”
Taste
Malt note stronger in the palate than the malt note in the nose. Crisp and light, mild alcohol taste. Grassy, mild bitter element. Bitter finish
Overall
Its reffered to as a wheat beer but in my opinion this isn’t your average wheat beer- its much better . In my neck of the woods this stuff sells like no other beer and my local beer suppliers can attest to this. Why? I’m not sure.. Its good don’t get me wrong but its not “Holy shit it’s here!? I’ll take 5 cases!” good. Get it if you can though, very interesting and refreshing beer.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

04-09-2014 14:09:51 | More by BeerandWhiskeyHQ
AC-Mivsek

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

I really don't care for wheat ales, but I will try any Three Floyds beer I can get my hands on. This is hands down the best wheat beer I've ever had. Nice and hoppy and it doesn't have that minty aroma/taste most wheat ales have. I would recommend this to anybody, but especially people like me who typically don't enjoy wheat ales. This one is truly a cut above the rest.

04-08-2014 20:13:09 | More by AC-Mivsek
chinchill

South Carolina

3.86/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

on tap at Pazzo's (Lexington, KY)

Clear golden body with excellent clarity; very durable, creamy white head leaves the glass well coated with sticky lacing.

Aroma: moderately strong but somehow gentle mix of hops.

Flavor: Some complexity from the hop (mix). Some bisquity malts in the background.

Feel: light bodied but not at all watery, thanks in part to the crisp, medium-high carbonation that seems just right

O: another excellent selection from FFF

04-04-2014 13:54:24 | More by chinchill