Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
StandardKelly13

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Sweet but never too hoppy, Gumball head is a great beer for those who want something full-bodied but don't want too be overwhelmed by hops. It's lighter in color and finishes well. Great on draught and very drinkable. The cool character on the tapper is a nice touch as well.

06-25-2013 16:45:43 | More by StandardKelly13
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.16/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

We landed this beer in a trade. Thanks to my boy Scott for living close to the brewery! If I miss anything from Indiana, it's the brewing companies we had access to. From Upload in the Indianapolis area, to Three Floyds near Chicago, Indiana is filled with some great breweries. This is our last beer from Three Floyds… sad. I do have two more bottles in the fridge thanks to Scott. I hope he is reading… this blog post pretty much makes him famous!

This beer is one of their more popular offerings, and is on tap pretty much everywhere in the Hoosier state. It is a good example of the style the way the style was supposed to be enjoyed. It's loaded with fruit and has a nice spicy finish. This is a great beer. I say that and I pretty much hate wheat beers. If you are ever in the Circle City, order a Gumballhead. You're welcome!

In the Glass: This looks like a typical wheat beer. It does have more carbonation than I remember. Oh, and the head was REALLY thick on this. I blame the travel this bottle had from Indiana. Beer trading has become so fun for us, I sometimes can't control myself. I will take a thick head over a spilt beer. Not much lace here, but the head, as it dwindles, remains thick and somewhat sticky. I could smell this as I was pouring it… let's drink!

Nose: Well, we will smell this first. It does smell like a wheat beer, but there is a subtle spiciness toward the finish. Spice if what I remember about this beer. The last time I had this beer was at Scotty's Brewhouse in Indianapolis. I miss their wings. Man they had good wings. The BBQ are the BOMB! Anyway, back to the beer.

Flavor: I don't like wheat beers, but I would drink this in a heartbeat. It has a nice fruity flavor with a drying finish leading to an almost cracked pepper finish. This does get better as it heats up, but nothing worth waiting for. The low ABV also helps this beer as I could drink a ton of this before I even realized it. Another great lawnmower beer.

Mouthfeel: I do think this beer was affected by travel, but not a bad thing. There are WAY too many bubbles going on here, but as it heats up and as it sits in the glass, the bubbles are backing down. Not much in terms of mouthfeel. Just a nice, cold, wet wheat beer. I would call this more pale than wheat, though. The hops are obvious. I would like to see a Stone Brewing Company take on this beer. They sure do love their hops in California.

Aftertaste: The hops really come out in the finish. They use Amarillo hops in this beer, but that doesn't mean much to me. I should take a class on hops so I know the main differences. I am sure that would help me in my journey to becoming a Certified Cicerone. Anyway, the beer is easy to drink and leaves a much better finish than most wheat beers. Bless you, hops!

I am going to miss you, Three Floyds. Or is it 3 Floyds? If you are ever in Chicago, the brewing company is only 20 minutes outside of the city. It is WELL worth your time. The brewery is small, located in an industrial park, and you would never know a place like this could produce such great beer… but they are worth it. Oh, and Dark Lord. The beer is good, but Dark Lord Day is HUGE. We haven't been, but ask anyone that knows craft beer. I am sure he or she has heard of Dark Lord and/or Dark Lord Day.

Cheers, people!

TargaFlorio

06-17-2013 16:22:15 | More by TargaFlorio
bomberboysk

4.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Serving: 12oz Bottle into pint glass.

A: Very transparent and medium to light gold in color. Medium lacing.

S: First thing that hits you are the hops, followed by a heavy citrus element reminiscent of orange zest and then some mild herbal undertones. Overall it's a spicy, yet very smooth smell.

T: The sweet, grassy taste of the beer is well balanced with the bitterness from the hops. Citrus is again present here as well, with the wheat element of the beer being somewhat overpowered by the hops. Clean, dry finish with some lingering citrus and bitterness.

M: Medium-light, Carbonation is spot on for my tastes, which may make it slightly flat for others as I prefer less carbonation. Overall it works well with the flavors of the beer.

O: Overall another great beer from 3 Floyds, and so far my favorite APWA...definitely a great beer to sit down with on a spring day or summer night. Reviewing this beer on it's own, however it seemed to pair quite well with a chicken Caesar salad last night.

06-17-2013 01:29:39 | More by bomberboysk