Gumballhead - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours out to a bright and satin colored dark gold in the glass with a moderate head. The aroma is wonderful and gives of hints of pine, wheat and citrus. The taste is very good to near exceptional. It starts off like a Pale Ale, with hints of pine, spruce, citrus and hops and weaves its way into honey, wheat and spice. I've never experienced a wheat or summer beer with such a range of tastes. Excellent.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Review input from notes

Hazy orange colored body. Creamy two and a half finger white head is set atop. The head works its way back slowly leaving spotty but thick lacing stuck to the glass.

Hop forward aroma. Assertive tropical fruit backed by pleasant citrus and soft floral aroma. Wheat malt backs and balances the hops. Less of a grainy aroma than many American Pale Wheats, there is a rather pleasant sweetness.

The hops are allowed to take center stage upfront. Sweet pineapple flavor leads followed by subtle grapefruit and a general citrus sweetness. The bitterness is rather low, though there is enough to provide balance. Soft malt sweetness rounds out behind. The soft wheat provides a nearly perfect combination for the fruity hop flavor.

The bodied falls on the lighter side of medium. Fairly crisp carbonation. Moderate but refreshing finish.

Gumballhead is a fantastic beer. While it is not one I reach for often when it is available to me, I also enjoy it when I do. Great warm weather beer but then again I would not be opposed to enjoying a few in the comfort of my home while watching the snow fly. Very drinkable, easy to enjoy.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

First visit to Little Italy's favorite wine shop, Gentile's, net me a very interesting surprise. Four sixers of Gumballhead! Grabbed two for myself and have never thought twice about it. Great beer. Third one over a week I've had so I've decided to give it a review. Twelve ounce bottle poured into a brandy snifter on a Friday night.

Vision
An aggressive pour allows this very carbonated beverage to pull a full fingers worth of apple flesh head. It doesn't dissipate as fast as other similar beers, but when it does it leaves behind a faint lacing. Each sip rocking around in the glass cause a pattern to flow down the side leaving me to believe the mouth feel would be interesting at the least. Quite enjoyable to watch. A pencil thin column of carbon dioxide rises from the center of the beverage throughout its entire life. Its body is a yellow, almost amber, hue.

Bouquet
Deeply inhaling upon initial pour releases strong fruit odors. Pineapples, peaches... Mangoes? Faint apples? Its quite enjoyable and hard to pick apart. Beyond the crisp fruit smells is the wheat. Malty for sure. It reminds me of fresh dough. I close my eyes and can see myself rolling out a fresh loaf of bread. However letting this beer sit just twenty minutes causes all the fruity flavors to dim tremendously. Its almost like two different beers. The bread remains and overpowers, but it now is the front runner. Hops become cleverly incorporated. At the end, just because I had to, I waited for all carbonation to seemingly leave this beverage. I thought I detected sour notes as it became more and more flat. True enough, when all the bubbles have left the beer hits a third stage. There is sour flavors to dance with the wheat. The hops try to cut in on this routine, but are quickly pushed aside. They can roam the periphery for a different partner because the wheat demands to lead the sour flavors in a waltz. I feel like I'm a child again and just watched my brew 'evolve' like in my old video games ( Who am I kidding, I still play them ).

Flavor Profile
The first sips are delightful. Fresh and fruity. Nothing like the aroma of the brew, but they are there. However, just like the carbonation. Letting it sit too long or taking too long to enjoy will cause all these flavors to slip away leaving nothing to be mad at. It takes almost the entire bottle to be detected but the heat of the booze is felt in my throat and chest, not in my mouth. Throughout the entire tasting, the finish is wheat malt. Not strangling, but faint tones tickling random areas of my tongue. As the carbonation seeps away, the wheat and hops do battle like chess champions. Calm, calculated, and anything but predictable. Sometimes its the hops that claim first move, sometimes its the wheat. Either way, its a hell of a ride.

Oral Sensations
The body is great for a wheat beer. I've had some misconceptions about pale ales, and definitely about this pale wheat ale. It is highly carbonated, but you can only tell from the visual stimuli. Its thick enough without stepping outside of its boundaries. The other areas of tasting this beer push rules possibly, but it plays this one like a How-To manual.

Conclusions
The key component of this beer is the carbonation. I've never noted how critical it was in the tasting of craft beer before today. Its departure and arrival into my glass ring in different experiences. Hell, if you weren't careful you may ruin this beer by deflating it too fast. There is no doubt in my mind that this beer is perfect for drinking regularly. I'd buy it again and again if there wasn't so much more to try in the world. The hype of a beer lived up to my expectations for once.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

GF's sixer from brewery, drink one.

A&S: very pungent grapefruitty hops accompanied by some light and rye-like grains along with lemons and peaches. Very lively looking light copper transparent looking beer. Fizzy head the hangs on the surface.

T&M: Let me preface this by saying I would consider myself at least for the most part a hop head. So of course I liked this beer because it extremely hopped for the style, but I also think it works well with this beer. Slice of bitterness in the middle but fades to being very mild in the finish. Similar to the smell with the fruityness and light grains. Carbonation is high maybe a bit too much but hells its a summer beer, body is I believe medium but its hard to tell.

Overall: Good for the style, another great beer from Three Floyds have only tried like 5 or so of there beers but I would say they are still one of my favorite breweries. They are like Founders in the sense that they just dont make bad beer period.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a tulip glass. No date on the bottle.

A not-so-hazy copper color, with a white fluffy head that is about a finger's worth. Nice lacing left behind as it slowly fades.

Aroma is of light malt and citrusy hops. Flavor is malty with lots of citrus in the finish. The balance here between malt and hops is well done and appreciated. Impressive to say the least.

A light bodied wheat ale that is smooth and very drinkable. This bottle seems fresh and in it's prime.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%