Join our email list →

Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

American Pale Wheat Ale | 5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,490 | Hads: 5,507
3.72/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a standard glass pint. Pours a cloudy golden straw color with a bunch o' carbonation. BIG, firm banana colored head. Foamy & fluffy with staying power that leaves clouds of lace that line the sides of the glass.

Smells of light lemon zest & hops.
The beer is malty smooth & light with a fizzy mouth & refreshing citrus finish. The hops could be a little strong through the swallow. Wheat & grain is very subtle & well concealed. In the mix...hops present better than the malts. NO bitter aftertaste. Easy to drink. Crisp & light. Not too complex or strong. A little weaker than I expected in the mouth. This is a nice "go to" beer on a summer day. While not one of my favorites from FFF, certainly worth drinking if you can get it fresh.
Recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer is very unusual for a wheat beer and probably doesn't fit the style guidelines at all. But that being said it is probably as good if not better than most 'wheat beers' out there.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with no head and little lace. Smells of citrus and pine trees. Taste is very lemony with a hint of honey and apricots. Doesn't have any of the clove and banana taste that most wheat beers seem to have. I'd say it resembles more an american pale ale in that the aroma and bittering hops hit you in the face but the subtleties of the wheat do come through. Extremely drinkable and a definitely a great summer brew. No wonder this beer is so sought after.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to PabstBlue for picking this bottle up for me!

Poured a hazy amber peach color with golden highlights. There was a finger of creamy eggshell-white head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving a very slight lacing on the side of the glass.

The nose is grapefruit and lemon citrus with bread dough and a light caramel sweetness coming through followed by a convincing pine hoppyness in the back of the nose.

The taste is wheat with lemon, grapefruit, and pine hops that come with a pleasantly absent bite. As it rolls down the sides of the tongue I get bubblegum and a floral yeast. Very smooth and balanced flavors. As the beer warmed a little I did pick up a hint of alcohol but not enough to overpower any of the other flavors. The mouthfeel is creamy but with an fresh effervescent crispness that makes it go down smooth.

Overall an amazing beer, not exactly what I expected from a summery wheat beer but very good nonetheless. I've never had a wheat beer with this level of complexity and excellent drinkability. I'm really glad that FFF has started brewing this year-round and I can't wait to get my hands on more of it!!

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

Golden in color with mild head that left a trace of lacing.
The nose is hoppy, piney, ctirusy (Grapefruit, lemon. orange).
Tastes of hops, wheat, malt, and your citrus flavors shine threw for this tasty brew, not to mention the almost honey like after taste. The carbonation was good, the mouthfeel was great and the drinkablilty excellent. I really enjoyed this wheat beer from 3F and I thank DOC Jordison from Tucson for sending it up to ames Iowa for me.

3.74/5  rDev -11.4%

This was an extra from d0b. My first trader and he really hooked me up. Thanks buddy. This was my first beer back after a horrible, horrible week.

I love the wackiness of the FFF labels. A perfect combination of playfulness, cubism and early '90's day glow.

Bottle undated. This was poured vigorously and did little. Barely any head formed and was shy to come back with some hearty swirling of the glass. Clear as day with a nice orange hued bronze color. With the slightest bit of husk particles clinging to the bottom of the head. A bit disappointing in this department. But looks aren't everything.

A bit different aromatically for a wheat beer. You really get more hops (Amarillo) than the grainy, banana, clove and estery notes you'd associate with a wheat beer. I like it but it caught me a bit off guard at first. The gets deeper and the dried fruitiness of the Amarillo hops really comes on strong as this warms.

On the palate this seems a bit light, transparent and ghost-ish. A kind of now you taste it now you don't beer. With all the hops in the nose you'd expect a carryover but they are barely there. With the wheat you'd expect the citrusy, grainy goodness, but alas there is little. The light lemon, rolled oat and cinnamon sugar spice is nice enough but very short of amazing.

I like the low carbonation and the broad feel to this beer. It lingers. It grows sip after sip, those light flavors grow and grow. And the brightness at the edges of the mouth is a nice touch.

Overall I think this may be a less than fresh bottle given the mildness of the Amarillo hops which I typically find to be very agressive when present and young. Why do people still not date the bottles they produce? Can't figure it out.

Bottom line not an "Extreme" beer but a well crafted one and one I would truly enjoy putting down a 6pk at a time. With the <5% ABV this also won't put a huge hurt on ya. Summer time fun!

Thanks again Dave for the great trade and the great beers. You are a champ!

Got get my Gumballhead. Simply incredible and if you are reading this wondering if you should buy it the answer is Yes, especially since it isn't distributed much. It's basically an IPA with wheat. The wheat (small amount detected) isn't prounounced and there isn't a wheat beer yeast character at all. I'm guessing the yeast is an IPA yeast or ale yeast and not a wheat ale yeast or hefe yeast. All the better. An elevation and transformation of styles. This beer is a classic.

3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via trade. about two months old
A: slightly Cloudy

S: Wheat, Hops, a little sweet bread

T: might have been a little off as it was Not super fresh when I had it so I will need to re rate at a later date.

F: had a light feel decent finish.

O: Good beer but I might be great when fresh, I will visit again when a fresh bottle or tap is available

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

A- Golden Hue, big head that doesn't last too long
S- Insane Hops aromatics(but that is to be expected from FFF), maybe a bit of orange?

T- Big Hops, good wheat to balance the hops....nice and light, but hearty at the same time

M- Good body, nice and light-like a good summer beer should be

D- Awesome....once the 6rs come out it will be a staple...

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours out a hazy golden orange, small head with light thin lacing as it dissipates. Smells of citrus and hops and i noticed a fruit juice aroma after a few drinks. Not a strong smell at all. Tastes very good with the hops dominant over the wheat and yeast in a nicely balanced presentation. Much hoppier than other wheat ales. Light, tart mouthfeel with an amazingly good drinkability. 3 Floyds has taken a wheat ale and kicked it up a notch! I am glad that this is readily available to me!

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

2012 12oz bottle

Thanks to a great trader, bauermj, for an extra.

A: gorgeous golden body, almost like a big ipa but without any typical caramel character. Very light white half-finger head which disappears with almost no lacing.

S and T: this is an ideal session beer, the complexities are not overstated but every sip leaves you with a different impression. Really cool application of amarillo hops. Slight bitterness but big taste with citrussy notes that come from elsewhere. The hops must've been FWH, because they are all taste and tiny aroma. Not too dry and not a sweet fluffy wheat beer.

M: perfect, more carbonation appears from each sip than the original pour.

O: i want more of this and would pay twice the listed price for a sixer.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber poured into tulip glass:

Look: Pours a nice hazy orange with a nice amount of head with lacing present.

Smell: This beer smells more like an IPA or pale ale than a pale wheat ale. Tons of hints of citrus, grapefruit, hops, and some wheat coming thru.

Taste: Less hops come thru in the taste than on the nose but they are still present. Some wheat pokes its way thru along with some lemon/citrus. Very tasty brew!

Feel: Medium bodied.

Overall: This is probably the best pale wheat ale I have had to date. This would be a great summer beer that I could sip on all day long. Crisp and refreshing and would be great on a hot summery day. I will definately revisit if I can get my buddy to bring more of this back to PA the next time he comes home!

2011 bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light caramel/golden yellow with a half finger thick white head. The head subsided rather quickly leaving only a thin layer on top. Good lacing.

Smell: The primary smell is a citrus hop flavor. It smells a little like a pale ale.

Taste: An initial sweet citrus taste is balanced out by a slightly bitter hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall: This is a solid easy to drink beer. The sweetness of the wheat is well balanced with the slight bitterness and citrus notes of the Amarillo hops. It is basically a wheat pale ale (WPA?). I mowed the lawn earlier this morning and craved this beer when I came in so it is definitely an above average lawnmower beer.

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a light yellow color, almost clear

S - Standard citrus note. Smell hoppy for a wheat beer

T - Taste more like a pale ale than a wheat beer.

M - Good balance of hops and the wheat makes it smooth. Real easy to drink.

O - Perfect beer for the summer

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a glowing, hazy gold, with a two-inch head that dissipates quickly. Smell is boatloads of grapefruit, orange rind, and lemon; really fantastic in the aroma department. Taste is brisk, with a light but flavorful hop attack, refreshing wheat tartness, and perfect carbonation. Mouthfeel is perhaps a bit thin, but this beer is extremely flavorful and refreshing.

3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured out gold with a little fluffy head. Smelled floral and citrusy. Tasted sweet and bitter, fairly hoppy aftertaste, a little malt. Smooth on the tounge, though the aftertaste lingers. Not bad for a Texas winter day (eg 72 and sunny out and I took down the christmas lights), but not one of my favorites.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Another beer just now getting around to rating.

This is such a cult beer which makes it even nicer to stop at the store on the way home from work and pick up a six pack of the stuff.

A- pours light golden with nice size head.

S- Nice light hops sweet citrus.

T- "Gentle" Hops. By that I mean a light hoppy taste with a refreshing aftertaste instead of the bashing over the head of its cousing Alpha King. So crazy refreshing, I forgot how good this stuff is.

M- Light feel, sharp carbonation.

D- 5.0 period. This may not be the most complex beer but as far as I'm concerned this should be the NUMBER ONE SESSION. Only 4 something percent alc. Only problem is the price. $12.50 a six pack is harsh.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

Found some singles at Blue Dog Lansdale.

Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy white head. Head left somepretty thick lacing after it disappeared.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. Very bright wheat, a little grass and citrus - Grapefruit. Lots of it. My nose would prefer I didn't drink this so it could keep smelling, but I have to drink it.

Tastes of a very flowery hopped wheat beer. very clean and very delicious. If it weren't so hazy and had that hint of sourdough, It could be an IPA. It is a great beer.

Drinkability: This is now one of my favorites. What a beer! A case is quite an investment, but if I get the chance to splurge - this will be on the list.

Note: Goes well with baked pork chops.

Edit: After drinking again on multiple occaisions, I had to bump the drinkability and taste up to 5. This beer is simply summer in a bottle - The best drinker I have had to date

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Great wheat ale

A - nice orange and decent head

S - nice fruity smell of a wheat ale and cirtus smell from hops

T - good fuity taste of wheat beers, with the citurs aftertaste ending in a slight bitterness of the hops

M - smooth taste ending in a slight bitterness could drink a lot of these

One of my favorite wheat beers when I want something slightly more bitter

Similar to Sweet Action, though doesn't taste as hoppy to me. I'm glad I can only seem to find it once a month as I'd probably drink it every day. Definitely my favorite in its style.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

This tasty treat pours a wonderful orange-pumpkin color with a slight haze. The pour resulted in a 1/2 inch head of foam which quickly dissipated into a very slender ring around the edge of the glass.

The scent of this beer can be characterized as very hoppy with lots of floral and citrus undertones. Not overpowering by any means, just different than what I was expecting from a wheat beer.

The taste of this beer is absolutely delicious, my only comment is that the mouth feel seemed just a bit thin.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I've probably only had this 50 times in the last 18 months. Served in a tulip glass in my brand new beer dungeon.

A - Light amber / golden / orange with white head. Very clear for a wheat. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Fruity (Passion, orange, citrus) hoppiness and a bit of wheat.

T - Very nice crisp wheat with fruity citrus tones. Finishes with a bit of pine hoppiness and more fruitiness.

M - The wheat brew makes for a very nice light mouthfeel. The finish is dry and fruity on the back end with lingering hop goodness.

O - An awesome summer beer that I will drink anytime of the year it turns up in my area (which is not often enough). A tossup for my favorite year-round FFF with Robert the Bruce.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite wheat beer because it is not your typical wheat beer. Excellent smells of fruit and wheat all at once, the taste is even better. Lots of wheat flavor, but with the attitude of a pale ale. Good head and lacing for a lighter offering. Highly recommend this one to any beer drinker.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Bright golden yellow, with little to no head. Lit up my weizen glass.

S: Light hops with plenty of fruit, apricots & a touch of citrus.

T: Nice hop presence with a touch of wheat and citrus.

M: A bit light on the carbonation, nice clean finish.

D: Refreshing and easy to drink. Quite the summer quencher.

When will I be able to buy it in PA???

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The strangest wheat beer I've ever tasted, but it's a very unique flavor and it is one worth trying for sure! Now one of my new favorites! For sure the best 3 Floyds beer out there. It's very light, but full flavored at the same time. It has light flavors of a traditional wheat brew but with normal flavors of a session IPA like light citrus and slight hops. Very hoppy on the nose, but not as much on the palate even though it's referred to a "hoppy wheat" brew. Not sure what they used to pull off the sweet flavor, but I can see where they got the name from as I get a sweet candied taste reminding me of candy like flavor almost like a gumball on the back end. VERY unique and a must try if you ever get the chance.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dennis: Three Floyd's is a very frustrating brewery for me. In many way I want to love them, but in other's they just exasperate me so much it's not funny. For example, I can get a bomber of Hog Heaven by Avery for $4.99, meanwhile I could drive to this brewery and I'm paying almost 6 bucks for this brew. That's the main reason we haven't tried so many of their other brands. That and, so far almost all of them have exhibited the same hop combination. Don't get me wrong, the first time I had dreadnaught or pride and joy I was exuberant, but i'm looking for a little diversity here. At 5%, this is a super, uber hoppy wheat beer. Tastes great, goes down super easy....but at the price I think it's just overrated.
Jen: From first whiff I knew that this was going to be different. I don't normally expect to smell hops, but that is all I could smell. Although shocked, I was looking forward to my first sip. All I could taste at first was the hops, but after I swallowed, I got a definite taste of wheat and a slight honey that was fun. This may be low in ABV, but it is definitely good. Light and crisp and it goes down smoothly.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.