Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,475 | Hads: 5,379
3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured out gold with a little fluffy head. Smelled floral and citrusy. Tasted sweet and bitter, fairly hoppy aftertaste, a little malt. Smooth on the tounge, though the aftertaste lingers. Not bad for a Texas winter day (eg 72 and sunny out and I took down the christmas lights), but not one of my favorites.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Another beer just now getting around to rating.

This is such a cult beer which makes it even nicer to stop at the store on the way home from work and pick up a six pack of the stuff.

A- pours light golden with nice size head.

S- Nice light hops sweet citrus.

T- "Gentle" Hops. By that I mean a light hoppy taste with a refreshing aftertaste instead of the bashing over the head of its cousing Alpha King. So crazy refreshing, I forgot how good this stuff is.

M- Light feel, sharp carbonation.

D- 5.0 period. This may not be the most complex beer but as far as I'm concerned this should be the NUMBER ONE SESSION. Only 4 something percent alc. Only problem is the price. $12.50 a six pack is harsh.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

Found some singles at Blue Dog Lansdale.

Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy white head. Head left somepretty thick lacing after it disappeared.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. Very bright wheat, a little grass and citrus - Grapefruit. Lots of it. My nose would prefer I didn't drink this so it could keep smelling, but I have to drink it.

Tastes of a very flowery hopped wheat beer. very clean and very delicious. If it weren't so hazy and had that hint of sourdough, It could be an IPA. It is a great beer.

Drinkability: This is now one of my favorites. What a beer! A case is quite an investment, but if I get the chance to splurge - this will be on the list.

Note: Goes well with baked pork chops.

Edit: After drinking again on multiple occaisions, I had to bump the drinkability and taste up to 5. This beer is simply summer in a bottle - The best drinker I have had to date

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Great wheat ale

A - nice orange and decent head

S - nice fruity smell of a wheat ale and cirtus smell from hops

T - good fuity taste of wheat beers, with the citurs aftertaste ending in a slight bitterness of the hops

M - smooth taste ending in a slight bitterness could drink a lot of these

One of my favorite wheat beers when I want something slightly more bitter

Similar to Sweet Action, though doesn't taste as hoppy to me. I'm glad I can only seem to find it once a month as I'd probably drink it every day. Definitely my favorite in its style.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

This tasty treat pours a wonderful orange-pumpkin color with a slight haze. The pour resulted in a 1/2 inch head of foam which quickly dissipated into a very slender ring around the edge of the glass.

The scent of this beer can be characterized as very hoppy with lots of floral and citrus undertones. Not overpowering by any means, just different than what I was expecting from a wheat beer.

The taste of this beer is absolutely delicious, my only comment is that the mouth feel seemed just a bit thin.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I've probably only had this 50 times in the last 18 months. Served in a tulip glass in my brand new beer dungeon.

A - Light amber / golden / orange with white head. Very clear for a wheat. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Fruity (Passion, orange, citrus) hoppiness and a bit of wheat.

T - Very nice crisp wheat with fruity citrus tones. Finishes with a bit of pine hoppiness and more fruitiness.

M - The wheat brew makes for a very nice light mouthfeel. The finish is dry and fruity on the back end with lingering hop goodness.

O - An awesome summer beer that I will drink anytime of the year it turns up in my area (which is not often enough). A tossup for my favorite year-round FFF with Robert the Bruce.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite wheat beer because it is not your typical wheat beer. Excellent smells of fruit and wheat all at once, the taste is even better. Lots of wheat flavor, but with the attitude of a pale ale. Good head and lacing for a lighter offering. Highly recommend this one to any beer drinker.

3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via trade. about two months old
A: slightly Cloudy

S: Wheat, Hops, a little sweet bread

T: might have been a little off as it was Not super fresh when I had it so I will need to re rate at a later date.

F: had a light feel decent finish.

O: Good beer but I might be great when fresh, I will visit again when a fresh bottle or tap is available

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Bright golden yellow, with little to no head. Lit up my weizen glass.

S: Light hops with plenty of fruit, apricots & a touch of citrus.

T: Nice hop presence with a touch of wheat and citrus.

M: A bit light on the carbonation, nice clean finish.

D: Refreshing and easy to drink. Quite the summer quencher.

When will I be able to buy it in PA???

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dennis: Three Floyd's is a very frustrating brewery for me. In many way I want to love them, but in other's they just exasperate me so much it's not funny. For example, I can get a bomber of Hog Heaven by Avery for $4.99, meanwhile I could drive to this brewery and I'm paying almost 6 bucks for this brew. That's the main reason we haven't tried so many of their other brands. That and, so far almost all of them have exhibited the same hop combination. Don't get me wrong, the first time I had dreadnaught or pride and joy I was exuberant, but i'm looking for a little diversity here. At 5%, this is a super, uber hoppy wheat beer. Tastes great, goes down super easy....but at the price I think it's just overrated.
Jen: From first whiff I knew that this was going to be different. I don't normally expect to smell hops, but that is all I could smell. Although shocked, I was looking forward to my first sip. All I could taste at first was the hops, but after I swallowed, I got a definite taste of wheat and a slight honey that was fun. This may be low in ABV, but it is definitely good. Light and crisp and it goes down smoothly.

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%

Consumed on 2/21/09

Poured a dark gold color, not the prettiest but it's not the color here I'm after. The aroma is sweet, smells of fruit and malt. The taste is also fruity as well as malty - I'm not going to rule out the possibility of gumballs - complemented by hops. The body is nice and medium with a great drinkability. This beer is a great option for a session beer due to the great flavor and low abv.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Light orange with a nice haze, some floaties, but nothing too dramatic

S: Lots of piny hop characteristic, orange, tangerine, and plenty of citrus going on here. Some slight maltiness comes through but is overpowered

M: Very smooth, as I was expecting it to be a bit more viscous and sticky. Finishes clean and a very clean, refreshing ending.

T: Hoppy, piny, citrusy with some malt characteristics that, as advertised, aren't found in most summer wheat beers that I can remember.

Had this on tap the night before DLD 2009. I remember it having a bit better flavor profile and highly suggest you have it at the brewery if you can. Overall, a great summer beer that I could drink all day.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Nonic glass

A: Super clear gold capped with a heft two finger head that settles into a thick fluffy cap. Leaves moderate lacing down the glass.

S: Citrusy Grapefruit at the forefront with very little of the graininess you usually smell in wheat beers. Hops are the main show here.

T: Crisp grain quickly going into grapefruit and orange hoppiness. Finishes real clean.

M: Light-bodied and well-carbonated, making it super refreshing.

My favorite American-style Wheat, although admittedly for it's combination of nontraditional aspects with the wheat character.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a transparent deep golden color with a copper highlight, active carbonation visible. Tall ivory head falls but maintains a nice lacing on the glass, with solid retention.
Aroma is strongly citrus hop, woody or grassy undertones; smells like it's dry-hopped. very nice.
Flavor is refreshing; slight malt, good citrus hop flavor that's not overpowering; great balance here. the woody and grassy flavors there in the aroma present themselves in the flavor and kind of linger in the aftertaste, with a hint of the bitter on the back and sides of the tongue. Grapefruit and pine flavors hint themselves in as well.
Active carbonation persists, partnering with the crisp flavor for a tingling, refreshing mouthfeel. Highly drinkable, particularly for hot days and nights. Quintessential summer brew, in my opinion.

4.09/5  rDev -3.1%

From a 12oz bottle

Poured a light amber color with a nice white 1-finger head that lingered a wee bit before slightly dissipating. Looks like a very lightly clouded Pale Ale. In fact, it's classified as an American Pale Wheat Ale!

Smells like a hop bomb oddly enough. Pretty much a citrus scent the whole way through.

Tastes great! Big hop bite coming through strongly. Nice malty flavor towards the end. Nice grapefruit like character as well

Feels quite lively on the tongue and slightly chewy. Great carbonation as it jumps around your mouth.

Very drinkable brew. It's got a great hop character with some citrus like subtle flavors coming through. Great for summer, or anytime rather. Probably a fantastic session ale.

It's got the body of a wheat and everything else screams Pale Ale.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%

Whhha? Pale wheat ale really? but... but I smell hops and its clear! I'm reviewing this as my second one of the night I had one earlier and this time is a little different...palate mighta got jacked!
But this is some nice I said before pours a medium clear gold with a little bit a floaties not much though, has white head sticks around for a bit. The carbonation will stick to the sides of the glass a bit. Cool. Smells like grapfruit hops then if you sniff hard enough the clove and wheat smell you were expecting. Taste hops to start with gum bananna clove and to boot some wheat. Pretty nice indeed. (Indeed!) So I like this stuff k, But I will try not to buy much since I will drink it all in one night...and its not notch overall

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Truly innovative, which is a rarity these days. Perfect blend of two perfectly good styles to creat a fantastic, original beer.

22oz bottle pours a golden color. Hoppy flavor/aroma sings alongside the wheat flavors without drowning them out. Wish I could find this one again, I only saw it once (when I had it).

A must try.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Its been long over due for me to review this beer

At first glance you can smell the hops, and I say?? American wheat beer with hop smell... But this is great. I am a big time wheat beer drinker but that little kick of hops is really different and add a complex taste to this style.

I prefer it in a weizen glass over a pint glass but it will do in both if the beer bar has no clue on correct glassware

I have had it in both Bottle and on tap and really enjoy both. Great job FFF...

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours hazey deep gold.. hazey.. one finger head dissapates to frothy white around inner edge of glass.. tiny bubbles continuously rising from bottom of the glass.. almost like ginger ale. or sparkling wine..

smells, sweet citrus.. lemon.. surprisingly hoppy

Light bodied.. excellent carbonation

Tastes of moderate bitterness from the amarillo hops, subtle spiciness .. leaves a lemon zest finish on the tongue.

I dont usually care for wheat beers.. But amarillo hops are kickin ass on this one.. First Three floyds brew..

Thanks Todd (Renegade Reps)

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this at a little spot in Chicago was on of my first Three Floyds Beer. It did not disappoint it poured a great golden color with a small head and noticeable carbonation.

The smell was good had a hoppy scent with some spice to follow.

The taste was good with hop and citrus flavors throughout. very light and quite refreshing. You can definitely tell this is a wheat ale though no doubt about that.

The mouthfeel was nice and smooth crisp and a little tingly.

This is a very drinkable beer with the low alcohol content and great for warm summer days when you dont want something to heavy i would highly recommend this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

I've had this beer numerous times because of my love for wheats, but I wanted to wait to do my review until I had another in my hands...lets go

(a)-brew pours in the mid-cloudy range, a lot lighter than most wheats. Pours with a good amount of head with decent lacing. Good carbonation. (4/5)

(s)- smell is excellent. Lemon, orange, for a treat (4.5/5)

(t)- smell follows through for the taste, everything you expect from a great wheat but even more. I've had this on tap and the grapefruit taste is stronger than in bottle, but its still very apparent in this sweet brew. (4.5/5)

(m)- mouthfeel is a little lighter than what I look for in a great beer. Too much upfront and not enough follow through. Great on the tongue...just need a little more. (3.5/5)

(d) I could drink pint after pint growler after growler of this stuff. Find a place with it on draft and never leave. (5/5)

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer has to be without a doubt my favorite session beer bar none out there. I believe this was my first beer I ever had from Three Floyds years and years ago but never gets old. I love the nose of this beer and how easy it goes down. Nothing like gumballhead in the summer.

Appearence: Has a golden,darker orange color to it with large bubbles of carbonation and pure white head.

Smell: Has lots of tropical smells-- mostly citrus-- orange peel and a little pineapple to the smell. No real malty smells at all.

Taste: Taste is all hops and pretty bitter. You get a lot of fruity flavors like the smell. You can taste an orange/grapefruit taste with a really dry finish to it. I can not detect much malt to this one at all. Mostly all hops and real dry and crisp on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation and pretty thin like a typical IPA.

Drinkability: I will be able to put this one away no problem. Easy drinking and not to heavy on the palate so far. Good stuff but you can tell its lower in alcohol and not alot of malt going on.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3 Floyds comes up with something original. this is a very citrusy beer, but not in an over bearing way. A lovely pour with a nice rich head, very nice lacing, and a carby, clear golden view to relish.

I love the smell. A malty orange that seeps into your nose instead of overpowering it. The taste is much the same but with a dry bite at the end of the sip that hangs around on your tounge, causing a saliva revival for the next sip. In fact this ale gets your mouth juices flowing. Its a sensory delight while staying on the light side. Ok there is that citrus bite on the end of my tongue. A nice dry bite that makes one salivate.

If you like something different and also take the time to enjoy the experience by all means try this brew. A buddy gave me one bottle and I dont have a second. If I did IT would go down the hatch as well. Gymball pleases all the senses.

Kudus to 3 Floyds for taking a chance and winning with it.

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

One finger white smooth head that unfortunately disippates quickly. Straw wheat golden body that is slightly hazy.

Oh boy. Resiny hops, grapefruit, lemon zest, and sweet malt. Fantastic smelling beer.

Grapefruits, spritz of lemon. Light and sweet up front. Flavoring hops appear midtaste and ramp up in bitterness before the lemon/citrus finish dries the palate with ever so slight grassiness. This is a beautifully built beer.

Carbonation is pretty prevalent throughout. Light body. Very refreshing mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall Impression
This is about as drinkable of a beer as you can get. Light and refreshing on the palate and the flavors are so well crafted and played against each other that the glass doesn't spend much time on the table. Definitely a summer staple. Well done FFF.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.