Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,481 | Hads: 5,435
4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

A- Golden Hue, big head that doesn't last too long
S- Insane Hops aromatics(but that is to be expected from FFF), maybe a bit of orange?

T- Big Hops, good wheat to balance the hops....nice and light, but hearty at the same time

M- Good body, nice and light-like a good summer beer should be

D- Awesome....once the 6rs come out it will be a staple...

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours out a hazy golden orange, small head with light thin lacing as it dissipates. Smells of citrus and hops and i noticed a fruit juice aroma after a few drinks. Not a strong smell at all. Tastes very good with the hops dominant over the wheat and yeast in a nicely balanced presentation. Much hoppier than other wheat ales. Light, tart mouthfeel with an amazingly good drinkability. 3 Floyds has taken a wheat ale and kicked it up a notch! I am glad that this is readily available to me!

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

2012 12oz bottle

Thanks to a great trader, bauermj, for an extra.

A: gorgeous golden body, almost like a big ipa but without any typical caramel character. Very light white half-finger head which disappears with almost no lacing.

S and T: this is an ideal session beer, the complexities are not overstated but every sip leaves you with a different impression. Really cool application of amarillo hops. Slight bitterness but big taste with citrussy notes that come from elsewhere. The hops must've been FWH, because they are all taste and tiny aroma. Not too dry and not a sweet fluffy wheat beer.

M: perfect, more carbonation appears from each sip than the original pour.

O: i want more of this and would pay twice the listed price for a sixer.

2011 bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light caramel/golden yellow with a half finger thick white head. The head subsided rather quickly leaving only a thin layer on top. Good lacing.

Smell: The primary smell is a citrus hop flavor. It smells a little like a pale ale.

Taste: An initial sweet citrus taste is balanced out by a slightly bitter hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Goes down smooth and easy.

Overall: This is a solid easy to drink beer. The sweetness of the wheat is well balanced with the slight bitterness and citrus notes of the Amarillo hops. It is basically a wheat pale ale (WPA?). I mowed the lawn earlier this morning and craved this beer when I came in so it is definitely an above average lawnmower beer.

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a light yellow color, almost clear

S - Standard citrus note. Smell hoppy for a wheat beer

T - Taste more like a pale ale than a wheat beer.

M - Good balance of hops and the wheat makes it smooth. Real easy to drink.

O - Perfect beer for the summer

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a glowing, hazy gold, with a two-inch head that dissipates quickly. Smell is boatloads of grapefruit, orange rind, and lemon; really fantastic in the aroma department. Taste is brisk, with a light but flavorful hop attack, refreshing wheat tartness, and perfect carbonation. Mouthfeel is perhaps a bit thin, but this beer is extremely flavorful and refreshing.

3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured out gold with a little fluffy head. Smelled floral and citrusy. Tasted sweet and bitter, fairly hoppy aftertaste, a little malt. Smooth on the tounge, though the aftertaste lingers. Not bad for a Texas winter day (eg 72 and sunny out and I took down the christmas lights), but not one of my favorites.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Another beer just now getting around to rating.

This is such a cult beer which makes it even nicer to stop at the store on the way home from work and pick up a six pack of the stuff.

A- pours light golden with nice size head.

S- Nice light hops sweet citrus.

T- "Gentle" Hops. By that I mean a light hoppy taste with a refreshing aftertaste instead of the bashing over the head of its cousing Alpha King. So crazy refreshing, I forgot how good this stuff is.

M- Light feel, sharp carbonation.

D- 5.0 period. This may not be the most complex beer but as far as I'm concerned this should be the NUMBER ONE SESSION. Only 4 something percent alc. Only problem is the price. $12.50 a six pack is harsh.

4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

Found some singles at Blue Dog Lansdale.

Pours a hazy gold with a fluffy white head. Head left somepretty thick lacing after it disappeared.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. Very bright wheat, a little grass and citrus - Grapefruit. Lots of it. My nose would prefer I didn't drink this so it could keep smelling, but I have to drink it.

Tastes of a very flowery hopped wheat beer. very clean and very delicious. If it weren't so hazy and had that hint of sourdough, It could be an IPA. It is a great beer.

Drinkability: This is now one of my favorites. What a beer! A case is quite an investment, but if I get the chance to splurge - this will be on the list.

Note: Goes well with baked pork chops.

Edit: After drinking again on multiple occaisions, I had to bump the drinkability and taste up to 5. This beer is simply summer in a bottle - The best drinker I have had to date

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Great wheat ale

A - nice orange and decent head

S - nice fruity smell of a wheat ale and cirtus smell from hops

T - good fuity taste of wheat beers, with the citurs aftertaste ending in a slight bitterness of the hops

M - smooth taste ending in a slight bitterness could drink a lot of these

One of my favorite wheat beers when I want something slightly more bitter

Similar to Sweet Action, though doesn't taste as hoppy to me. I'm glad I can only seem to find it once a month as I'd probably drink it every day. Definitely my favorite in its style.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

This tasty treat pours a wonderful orange-pumpkin color with a slight haze. The pour resulted in a 1/2 inch head of foam which quickly dissipated into a very slender ring around the edge of the glass.

The scent of this beer can be characterized as very hoppy with lots of floral and citrus undertones. Not overpowering by any means, just different than what I was expecting from a wheat beer.

The taste of this beer is absolutely delicious, my only comment is that the mouth feel seemed just a bit thin.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I've probably only had this 50 times in the last 18 months. Served in a tulip glass in my brand new beer dungeon.

A - Light amber / golden / orange with white head. Very clear for a wheat. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Fruity (Passion, orange, citrus) hoppiness and a bit of wheat.

T - Very nice crisp wheat with fruity citrus tones. Finishes with a bit of pine hoppiness and more fruitiness.

M - The wheat brew makes for a very nice light mouthfeel. The finish is dry and fruity on the back end with lingering hop goodness.

O - An awesome summer beer that I will drink anytime of the year it turns up in my area (which is not often enough). A tossup for my favorite year-round FFF with Robert the Bruce.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite wheat beer because it is not your typical wheat beer. Excellent smells of fruit and wheat all at once, the taste is even better. Lots of wheat flavor, but with the attitude of a pale ale. Good head and lacing for a lighter offering. Highly recommend this one to any beer drinker.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Bright golden yellow, with little to no head. Lit up my weizen glass.

S: Light hops with plenty of fruit, apricots & a touch of citrus.

T: Nice hop presence with a touch of wheat and citrus.

M: A bit light on the carbonation, nice clean finish.

D: Refreshing and easy to drink. Quite the summer quencher.

When will I be able to buy it in PA???

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dennis: Three Floyd's is a very frustrating brewery for me. In many way I want to love them, but in other's they just exasperate me so much it's not funny. For example, I can get a bomber of Hog Heaven by Avery for $4.99, meanwhile I could drive to this brewery and I'm paying almost 6 bucks for this brew. That's the main reason we haven't tried so many of their other brands. That and, so far almost all of them have exhibited the same hop combination. Don't get me wrong, the first time I had dreadnaught or pride and joy I was exuberant, but i'm looking for a little diversity here. At 5%, this is a super, uber hoppy wheat beer. Tastes great, goes down super easy....but at the price I think it's just overrated.
Jen: From first whiff I knew that this was going to be different. I don't normally expect to smell hops, but that is all I could smell. Although shocked, I was looking forward to my first sip. All I could taste at first was the hops, but after I swallowed, I got a definite taste of wheat and a slight honey that was fun. This may be low in ABV, but it is definitely good. Light and crisp and it goes down smoothly.

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%

Consumed on 2/21/09

Poured a dark gold color, not the prettiest but it's not the color here I'm after. The aroma is sweet, smells of fruit and malt. The taste is also fruity as well as malty - I'm not going to rule out the possibility of gumballs - complemented by hops. The body is nice and medium with a great drinkability. This beer is a great option for a session beer due to the great flavor and low abv.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Light orange with a nice haze, some floaties, but nothing too dramatic

S: Lots of piny hop characteristic, orange, tangerine, and plenty of citrus going on here. Some slight maltiness comes through but is overpowered

M: Very smooth, as I was expecting it to be a bit more viscous and sticky. Finishes clean and a very clean, refreshing ending.

T: Hoppy, piny, citrusy with some malt characteristics that, as advertised, aren't found in most summer wheat beers that I can remember.

Had this on tap the night before DLD 2009. I remember it having a bit better flavor profile and highly suggest you have it at the brewery if you can. Overall, a great summer beer that I could drink all day.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Nonic glass

A: Super clear gold capped with a heft two finger head that settles into a thick fluffy cap. Leaves moderate lacing down the glass.

S: Citrusy Grapefruit at the forefront with very little of the graininess you usually smell in wheat beers. Hops are the main show here.

T: Crisp grain quickly going into grapefruit and orange hoppiness. Finishes real clean.

M: Light-bodied and well-carbonated, making it super refreshing.

My favorite American-style Wheat, although admittedly for it's combination of nontraditional aspects with the wheat character.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a transparent deep golden color with a copper highlight, active carbonation visible. Tall ivory head falls but maintains a nice lacing on the glass, with solid retention.
Aroma is strongly citrus hop, woody or grassy undertones; smells like it's dry-hopped. very nice.
Flavor is refreshing; slight malt, good citrus hop flavor that's not overpowering; great balance here. the woody and grassy flavors there in the aroma present themselves in the flavor and kind of linger in the aftertaste, with a hint of the bitter on the back and sides of the tongue. Grapefruit and pine flavors hint themselves in as well.
Active carbonation persists, partnering with the crisp flavor for a tingling, refreshing mouthfeel. Highly drinkable, particularly for hot days and nights. Quintessential summer brew, in my opinion.

4.09/5  rDev -3.1%

From a 12oz bottle

Poured a light amber color with a nice white 1-finger head that lingered a wee bit before slightly dissipating. Looks like a very lightly clouded Pale Ale. In fact, it's classified as an American Pale Wheat Ale!

Smells like a hop bomb oddly enough. Pretty much a citrus scent the whole way through.

Tastes great! Big hop bite coming through strongly. Nice malty flavor towards the end. Nice grapefruit like character as well

Feels quite lively on the tongue and slightly chewy. Great carbonation as it jumps around your mouth.

Very drinkable brew. It's got a great hop character with some citrus like subtle flavors coming through. Great for summer, or anytime rather. Probably a fantastic session ale.

It's got the body of a wheat and everything else screams Pale Ale.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%

Whhha? Pale wheat ale really? but... but I smell hops and its clear! I'm reviewing this as my second one of the night I had one earlier and this time is a little different...palate mighta got jacked!
But this is some nice stuff...like I said before pours a medium clear gold with a little bit a floaties not much though, has white head sticks around for a bit. The carbonation will stick to the sides of the glass a bit. Cool. Smells like grapfruit hops then if you sniff hard enough the clove and wheat smell you were expecting. Taste hops to start with gum bananna clove and to boot some wheat. Pretty nice indeed. (Indeed!) So I like this stuff k, But I will try not to buy much since I will drink it all in one night...and its not local...top notch overall

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Truly innovative, which is a rarity these days. Perfect blend of two perfectly good styles to creat a fantastic, original beer.

22oz bottle pours a golden color. Hoppy flavor/aroma sings alongside the wheat flavors without drowning them out. Wish I could find this one again, I only saw it once (when I had it).

A must try.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Its been long over due for me to review this beer

At first glance you can smell the hops, and I say?? American wheat beer with hop smell... But this is great. I am a big time wheat beer drinker but that little kick of hops is really different and add a complex taste to this style.

I prefer it in a weizen glass over a pint glass but it will do in both if the beer bar has no clue on correct glassware

I have had it in both Bottle and on tap and really enjoy both. Great job FFF...

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours hazey deep gold.. hazey.. one finger head dissapates to frothy white around inner edge of glass.. tiny bubbles continuously rising from bottom of the glass.. almost like ginger ale. or sparkling wine..

smells, sweet citrus.. lemon.. surprisingly hoppy

Light bodied.. excellent carbonation

Tastes of moderate bitterness from the amarillo hops, subtle spiciness .. leaves a lemon zest finish on the tongue.

I dont usually care for wheat beers.. But amarillo hops are kickin ass on this one.. First Three floyds brew..

Thanks Todd (Renegade Reps)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.