Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

I got to try this out one night on tap, but the others I tried before ruined my palate. Now that I've had a 22 oz. bomber, I can say this is one fo the best wheat or pale ale, let alone wheat pale ale. Very very easy to consume. Nice balance of malts and hops, just one great beer to consume . . . over and over.

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Thanks to dvelcich (Dan) for this extra!

5.5% ABV
OG?
28 IBUs
12 oz bottle with no freshness date poured into a Samuel Adams "perfect pint" glass. I was assured of its freshness by Dan.

Appearance 3.5/5
Cloudy golden orange with tiny head that was almost a collar, and yet, left some lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Perfumy wheat malt and breadiness. A little weak, but inviting.

Taste 3/5
There's not much to taste and this one is certainly not complex at all: slightly sweet, slightly bitter, some flavor that's tough to name. Perhaps fruity and strangely enough, slightly astringent. It needs a drier finish.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Thin as it should be but not watery. I noted some astringency in taste which, frankly speaking, was not unpleasant. Very refreshing, but a drier finish will help this one.

Drinkability 4/5
Lower the alcohol by 1.5% ABV and we'll talk. Very good! Now that I am done singing praises, I have to say that 3 Floyds has done a pretty good job of making their mediocre beers look awesome. I have had Dark Lord on one occasion and that too is contributing towards my opinion.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

A light-colored orange brew with a small white topping of foam. Massive hops in the aroma as well as citrus notes. It definitely had the nose of a three floyds product.

Wheat? I am not so sure about that. It is a very crisp brew with nice refreshing qualities. The hops are in full order and every last sip gets a rich blast of hops. Citrus also plays a big role in this one. This is an interesting brew, and you should not miss out on it. Great for sessions IMHO. A wonderful outdoor working beer.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

3.86/5  rDev -8.3%

Got this bottle from hwwty4 and I am very grateful for his generousity on an unprompted package. Served this one up in my DFH shaped pint, seems all my pale ales, IPAs and DIPAs grace this glass.

A: Jesus Christ is this beer active. A very careful pour yielded a huge amount of head. This head is crisp white and is a good 3 fingers once I get this guy to calm down a bit so I can get the whole bottle in the glass. The head is incredible in the retention department. Takes forever to fall an has a wonderful rockiness to it. Lace all over the glass in big, foamy ass streaks that stick and don't let go. Now that we are past the head I will describe the beer in the glass. A really nice, golden honey color sits with a really nice haze to it. Held to the light it is a nice pale yellow. Lots of carbonation moving around in here, keeping this one moving slightly. This is a good start for this brew.

S: Smell is actually a decent amount of hops presence. Lots of citrusy, tropical fruity goodness in this aroma. Slight banana coming out from the wheat presence but it is pretty tame. The wheat really doesn't come over too well in the nose, but the look tells me its there. That hoppy goodness is just covering it up. Otherwise, very good in the aroma department.

T: There's my wheat. I knew it was there and what do you know, you can taste it. Nice wheaty, grainy taste that is damned good when combined with those hops flavors. Lots of lemon, lime and grapefruit coming out from those hops. Mixed with the ever so slight banana flavor, you get a nice tropical fruit salad type flavor coming out. There is a slight salt and pepper taste here in the background. Really nice beer.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin for me. Just seems a bit watery for the style and doesn't really have any stick to it. Aftertaste is pretty clean not leaving much in the mouth. The carbonation is nice and high, making this sucker crisp and easy drinking.

D: Overall, this beer is quite good. My only real gripe is that the nose doesn't have the balance between the wheat and the hops that I would like, but it makes up for it in the flavor for sure. The feel is a bit thin, but thats great if you need an easy drinking summer brew. The ABV is light and further adds to the drinkability of this sucker. Very nice.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

GF's sixer from brewery, drink one.

A&S: very pungent grapefruitty hops accompanied by some light and rye-like grains along with lemons and peaches. Very lively looking light copper transparent looking beer. Fizzy head the hangs on the surface.

T&M: Let me preface this by saying I would consider myself at least for the most part a hop head. So of course I liked this beer because it extremely hopped for the style, but I also think it works well with this beer. Slice of bitterness in the middle but fades to being very mild in the finish. Similar to the smell with the fruityness and light grains. Carbonation is high maybe a bit too much but hells its a summer beer, body is I believe medium but its hard to tell.

Overall: Good for the style, another great beer from Three Floyds have only tried like 5 or so of there beers but I would say they are still one of my favorite breweries. They are like Founders in the sense that they just dont make bad beer period.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours out to a bright and satin colored dark gold in the glass with a moderate head. The aroma is wonderful and gives of hints of pine, wheat and citrus. The taste is very good to near exceptional. It starts off like a Pale Ale, with hints of pine, spruce, citrus and hops and weaves its way into honey, wheat and spice. I've never experienced a wheat or summer beer with such a range of tastes. Excellent.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Review input from notes

Hazy orange colored body. Creamy two and a half finger white head is set atop. The head works its way back slowly leaving spotty but thick lacing stuck to the glass.

Hop forward aroma. Assertive tropical fruit backed by pleasant citrus and soft floral aroma. Wheat malt backs and balances the hops. Less of a grainy aroma than many American Pale Wheats, there is a rather pleasant sweetness.

The hops are allowed to take center stage upfront. Sweet pineapple flavor leads followed by subtle grapefruit and a general citrus sweetness. The bitterness is rather low, though there is enough to provide balance. Soft malt sweetness rounds out behind. The soft wheat provides a nearly perfect combination for the fruity hop flavor.

The bodied falls on the lighter side of medium. Fairly crisp carbonation. Moderate but refreshing finish.

Gumballhead is a fantastic beer. While it is not one I reach for often when it is available to me, I also enjoy it when I do. Great warm weather beer but then again I would not be opposed to enjoying a few in the comfort of my home while watching the snow fly. Very drinkable, easy to enjoy.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Very small head. Light golden color. Bit hazy.
S: Way hoppier than any wheat im used to(In a good way). Im getting grapfuit/ citrus aroma. Some cracked wheat.
T: For an American Wheat Ale it is outstanding, but, the bitternes is a little weak in comparison to the nose. Nice semi sweet citrus vibe overall.
M: Somewhat thin, nice carbination flowing from etched glass.
D: Super drinkable on a warm summer afternoon. A touch of bitterness is a nice touch in the wheat beer.

At first glance I was very dissapointed, little to no head or lacing. The hoppy smells got me excited again. This was a very solid Wheat for me, the extra hoppiness from the amirrilo hops is outstanding.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

First visit to Little Italy's favorite wine shop, Gentile's, net me a very interesting surprise. Four sixers of Gumballhead! Grabbed two for myself and have never thought twice about it. Great beer. Third one over a week I've had so I've decided to give it a review. Twelve ounce bottle poured into a brandy snifter on a Friday night.

Vision
An aggressive pour allows this very carbonated beverage to pull a full fingers worth of apple flesh head. It doesn't dissipate as fast as other similar beers, but when it does it leaves behind a faint lacing. Each sip rocking around in the glass cause a pattern to flow down the side leaving me to believe the mouth feel would be interesting at the least. Quite enjoyable to watch. A pencil thin column of carbon dioxide rises from the center of the beverage throughout its entire life. Its body is a yellow, almost amber, hue.

Bouquet
Deeply inhaling upon initial pour releases strong fruit odors. Pineapples, peaches... Mangoes? Faint apples? Its quite enjoyable and hard to pick apart. Beyond the crisp fruit smells is the wheat. Malty for sure. It reminds me of fresh dough. I close my eyes and can see myself rolling out a fresh loaf of bread. However letting this beer sit just twenty minutes causes all the fruity flavors to dim tremendously. Its almost like two different beers. The bread remains and overpowers, but it now is the front runner. Hops become cleverly incorporated. At the end, just because I had to, I waited for all carbonation to seemingly leave this beverage. I thought I detected sour notes as it became more and more flat. True enough, when all the bubbles have left the beer hits a third stage. There is sour flavors to dance with the wheat. The hops try to cut in on this routine, but are quickly pushed aside. They can roam the periphery for a different partner because the wheat demands to lead the sour flavors in a waltz. I feel like I'm a child again and just watched my brew 'evolve' like in my old video games ( Who am I kidding, I still play them ).

Flavor Profile
The first sips are delightful. Fresh and fruity. Nothing like the aroma of the brew, but they are there. However, just like the carbonation. Letting it sit too long or taking too long to enjoy will cause all these flavors to slip away leaving nothing to be mad at. It takes almost the entire bottle to be detected but the heat of the booze is felt in my throat and chest, not in my mouth. Throughout the entire tasting, the finish is wheat malt. Not strangling, but faint tones tickling random areas of my tongue. As the carbonation seeps away, the wheat and hops do battle like chess champions. Calm, calculated, and anything but predictable. Sometimes its the hops that claim first move, sometimes its the wheat. Either way, its a hell of a ride.

Oral Sensations
The body is great for a wheat beer. I've had some misconceptions about pale ales, and definitely about this pale wheat ale. It is highly carbonated, but you can only tell from the visual stimuli. Its thick enough without stepping outside of its boundaries. The other areas of tasting this beer push rules possibly, but it plays this one like a How-To manual.

Conclusions
The key component of this beer is the carbonation. I've never noted how critical it was in the tasting of craft beer before today. Its departure and arrival into my glass ring in different experiences. Hell, if you weren't careful you may ruin this beer by deflating it too fast. There is no doubt in my mind that this beer is perfect for drinking regularly. I'd buy it again and again if there wasn't so much more to try in the world. The hype of a beer lived up to my expectations for once.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden in color with a 1 finger head that has great retention.

Nose has really subtle straw malt with a big wheatbackbone and a fair amount of mango like hops. Smells pretty well balanced

Taste follows the nose, cracked wheat forward and is nice and bold followed by a sweet clean malt background. Hops also have a big presence are slightly fuity and balanced well. Very little bitterness, hops are all aroma and flavor.

Mouthfeel is great, hops leave this beer crisp clean and refreshing perfect summer beer. Remarkably smooth.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Bright crystal clear golden color with great lacing from a stark white frothy head

S - Overwhelming citrusy hop presence that drowns out anything else.

T - Lip puckering bitterness and sourness at first that gives way to the most brilliant grapefruit taste I've ever had. The finish is slightly more pine influenced.

M - Like the taste, super fun bitter time. Decently carbonated and light bodied - almost watery in texture. Finish is slightly dry with just a hint of aftertaste.

O - Glad i finally got a chance to try this one. It's clearly a classic and deserves to be distributed far and wide, as to give all American craft beer lovers a chance at having it at least once.

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.