Gumballhead - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

GumballheadGumballhead

good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gumballhead Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,460 | Hads: 5,248
4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a transparent deep golden color with a copper highlight, active carbonation visible. Tall ivory head falls but maintains a nice lacing on the glass, with solid retention.
Aroma is strongly citrus hop, woody or grassy undertones; smells like it's dry-hopped. very nice.
Flavor is refreshing; slight malt, good citrus hop flavor that's not overpowering; great balance here. the woody and grassy flavors there in the aroma present themselves in the flavor and kind of linger in the aftertaste, with a hint of the bitter on the back and sides of the tongue. Grapefruit and pine flavors hint themselves in as well.
Active carbonation persists, partnering with the crisp flavor for a tingling, refreshing mouthfeel. Highly drinkable, particularly for hot days and nights. Quintessential summer brew, in my opinion. (819 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.3%

From a 12oz bottle

Poured a light amber color with a nice white 1-finger head that lingered a wee bit before slightly dissipating. Looks like a very lightly clouded Pale Ale. In fact, it's classified as an American Pale Wheat Ale!

Smells like a hop bomb oddly enough. Pretty much a citrus scent the whole way through.

Tastes great! Big hop bite coming through strongly. Nice malty flavor towards the end. Nice grapefruit like character as well

Feels quite lively on the tongue and slightly chewy. Great carbonation as it jumps around your mouth.

Very drinkable brew. It's got a great hop character with some citrus like subtle flavors coming through. Great for summer, or anytime rather. Probably a fantastic session ale.

It's got the body of a wheat and everything else screams Pale Ale. (794 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Whhha? Pale wheat ale really? but... but I smell hops and its clear! I'm reviewing this as my second one of the night I had one earlier and this time is a little different...palate mighta got jacked!
But this is some nice stuff...like I said before pours a medium clear gold with a little bit a floaties not much though, has white head sticks around for a bit. The carbonation will stick to the sides of the glass a bit. Cool. Smells like grapfruit hops then if you sniff hard enough the clove and wheat smell you were expecting. Taste hops to start with gum bananna clove and to boot some wheat. Pretty nice indeed. (Indeed!) So I like this stuff k, But I will try not to buy much since I will drink it all in one night...and its not local...top notch overall (760 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Truly innovative, which is a rarity these days. Perfect blend of two perfectly good styles to creat a fantastic, original beer.

22oz bottle pours a golden color. Hoppy flavor/aroma sings alongside the wheat flavors without drowning them out. Wish I could find this one again, I only saw it once (when I had it).

A must try. (329 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle received via trade. about two months old
A: slightly Cloudy

S: Wheat, Hops, a little sweet bread

T: might have been a little off as it was Not super fresh when I had it so I will need to re rate at a later date.

F: had a light feel decent finish.

O: Good beer but I might be great when fresh, I will visit again when a fresh bottle or tap is available (369 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Its been long over due for me to review this beer

At first glance you can smell the hops, and I say?? American wheat beer with hop smell... But this is great. I am a big time wheat beer drinker but that little kick of hops is really different and add a complex taste to this style.

I prefer it in a weizen glass over a pint glass but it will do in both if the beer bar has no clue on correct glassware

I have had it in both Bottle and on tap and really enjoy both. Great job FFF... (485 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours hazey deep gold.. hazey.. one finger head dissapates to frothy white around inner edge of glass.. tiny bubbles continuously rising from bottom of the glass.. almost like ginger ale. or sparkling wine..

smells, sweet citrus.. lemon.. surprisingly hoppy

Light bodied.. excellent carbonation

Tastes of moderate bitterness from the amarillo hops, subtle spiciness .. leaves a lemon zest finish on the tongue.

I dont usually care for wheat beers.. But amarillo hops are kickin ass on this one.. First Three floyds brew..

Thanks Todd (Renegade Reps) (554 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this at a little spot in Chicago was on of my first Three Floyds Beer. It did not disappoint it poured a great golden color with a small head and noticeable carbonation.

The smell was good had a hoppy scent with some spice to follow.

The taste was good with hop and citrus flavors throughout. very light and quite refreshing. You can definitely tell this is a wheat ale though no doubt about that.

The mouthfeel was nice and smooth crisp and a little tingly.

This is a very drinkable beer with the low alcohol content and great for warm summer days when you dont want something to heavy i would highly recommend this beer. (632 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

I've had this beer numerous times because of my love for wheats, but I wanted to wait to do my review until I had another in my hands...lets go

(a)-brew pours in the mid-cloudy range, a lot lighter than most wheats. Pours with a good amount of head with decent lacing. Good carbonation. (4/5)

(s)- smell is excellent. Lemon, orange, grapefruit...in for a treat (4.5/5)

(t)- smell follows through for the taste, everything you expect from a great wheat but even more. I've had this on tap and the grapefruit taste is stronger than in bottle, but its still very apparent in this sweet brew. (4.5/5)

(m)- mouthfeel is a little lighter than what I look for in a great beer. Too much upfront and not enough follow through. Great on the tongue...just need a little more. (3.5/5)

(d) I could drink pint after pint growler after growler of this stuff. Find a place with it on draft and never leave. (5/5) (901 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer has to be without a doubt my favorite session beer bar none out there. I believe this was my first beer I ever had from Three Floyds years and years ago but never gets old. I love the nose of this beer and how easy it goes down. Nothing like gumballhead in the summer.

Appearence: Has a golden,darker orange color to it with large bubbles of carbonation and pure white head.

Smell: Has lots of tropical smells-- mostly citrus-- orange peel and a little pineapple to the smell. No real malty smells at all.

Taste: Taste is all hops and pretty bitter. You get a lot of fruity flavors like the smell. You can taste an orange/grapefruit taste with a really dry finish to it. I can not detect much malt to this one at all. Mostly all hops and real dry and crisp on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation and pretty thin like a typical IPA.

Drinkability: I will be able to put this one away no problem. Easy drinking and not to heavy on the palate so far. Good stuff but you can tell its lower in alcohol and not alot of malt going on. (1,057 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3 Floyds comes up with something original. this is a very citrusy beer, but not in an over bearing way. A lovely pour with a nice rich head, very nice lacing, and a carby, clear golden view to relish.

I love the smell. A malty orange that seeps into your nose instead of overpowering it. The taste is much the same but with a dry bite at the end of the sip that hangs around on your tounge, causing a saliva revival for the next sip. In fact this ale gets your mouth juices flowing. Its a sensory delight while staying on the light side. Ok there is that citrus bite on the end of my tongue. A nice dry bite that makes one salivate.

If you like something different and also take the time to enjoy the experience by all means try this brew. A buddy gave me one bottle and I dont have a second. If I did IT would go down the hatch as well. Gymball pleases all the senses.

Kudus to 3 Floyds for taking a chance and winning with it. (931 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance
One finger white smooth head that unfortunately disippates quickly. Straw wheat golden body that is slightly hazy.

Smell
Oh boy. Resiny hops, grapefruit, lemon zest, and sweet malt. Fantastic smelling beer.

Flavor
Grapefruits, spritz of lemon. Light and sweet up front. Flavoring hops appear midtaste and ramp up in bitterness before the lemon/citrus finish dries the palate with ever so slight grassiness. This is a beautifully built beer.

Mouthfeel
Carbonation is pretty prevalent throughout. Light body. Very refreshing mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall Impression
This is about as drinkable of a beer as you can get. Light and refreshing on the palate and the flavors are so well crafted and played against each other that the glass doesn't spend much time on the table. Definitely a summer staple. Well done FFF. (831 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Favorite of the American Wheat Ales!! I've heard this many times and know for a fact My gf is not a beer lover but will easily take one of my Gumball Heads!!

The color is Golden with slight orange pours a 2 finger head that dissipates into a half rocky head that climbs down the glass!!

Taste is hops with some lemon breaks up the dryness you get from other wheats! Carbonation is great

I could easily drink a 6pack of this and love every drop! This is a great wheat ale but one of the hardest to find even though I work at a liquor store we only get a limited supply so if you fall in love, stock up!! (608 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bottle into a chalice. Thanks Dan!

Kind of hard to take style into account here, as this is a very one of a kind beer!

Appearance- Golden in color with minimal head or lacing. Love the label!

Smell- The aroma is similar to an American Pale Ale, as there is a prominent citrus hop presence.

Taste- I found this beer to be very balanced. The citrus hops flavor was very nicely complemented with the wheat malt flavor.

Mouthfeel- Very light on the tongue. Nothing exceptional to note, but I could easily drink a growler of this over the course of a night.

Overall- Three Floyds created another very different beer with this one. This is the wheat beer for the hophead! (687 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

The first thing you notice when you open this beer is the huge hop aroma. As you pour the beer it is even more evident. Mine poured a hazy yellow color with a really outstanding head that left lacing all the way down. The flavor was of the usual wheat character but, with the huge hop presence. I loved this beer; the best American wheat I have tried. Good mouthfeel and excellent drinkability. (394 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into a brandy snifter

A - Golden in color, fairly clear, white fizzy head that did not last long

S - Strong smell of citrus hops, subtle malts in the background, slight floral/piney smells, faint smell of wheat

T - An explosion of greatness! For a wheat beer taste plenty of citrus hops, but doesn't have the bite of an IPA. The citrus taste lasts well into the aftertaste, which is then followed by slight bitterness. Taste follows the nose

M - Medium carbonation and body

One of my favorites! Definitely a beer I look for when I am out. And the bottle label is pretty badass! (589 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

I love Gumballhead! Pours a light yellow with 1" head that dissipates fairly quickly. This is quite a hoppy American Pale Wheat, and it works very well for this beer. Smells like grapefruit and is very citrusy. I did not detect any scent of gum or gumballs as some reviewers have claimed, and I think that's just a by-product of the name. Get this beer if you can! (364 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Living in PA, I haven't had the chance to try 3F products, so on a recent trip to Chicago I was psyched to finally get the chance. Unfortunately, Gumballhead turned out to be a major disappointment.

It looked fine, but after that, things went downhill. I've rarely encountered such a well-regarded beer with so little aroma or flavor. Frankly, this reminded me more of dishwater than beer. There was a subtle hint of grassiness and a little lemon on the palate, but there was absolutely none of the fabled hop character,. at least that I could detect.

I'd say I had a bad bottle, but this was on tap at a busy restaurant with a beer menu that included only 3 draughts and 3 bottles, so I can't imagine it had been sitting for any extended period of time.

All in all, a bland, boring disappointment of a beer. (811 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: hazy yellow with frothy white head

S: A little fruit and sweet wheat a slight bitterness

T: Sweet wheat with a fair amount of hops bitterness, nice clean flavor

M: Highly carbonated but give the beer a good dry finish

O: Good wheat beer, very good use of hops, I enjoyed this but wouldn't go out of my way to trade for it. (375 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

I found this beer to be fantastic! However, my rating for this one is not comparing the beer to the style, but my opinion of the beer itself as is. It is not your typical Hefe, if at all. I'd call it an Ordinary Bitter-Weizen. The smell was very nice, with good malt and hop aroma, and a touch of the classic weizen yeast esters. Taste was a blast of interesting yet delightful flavors. Starts out malty sweet with a balanced hop flavor and bitterness. Gumball flavors actually came through, which suprise me, and a hint of banana was also there. Finish was smooth with a good overall mouthfeel, nice hoppy finish and lingering sweetness. Could drink this beer all day! (669 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Found at a local store that used to have little to no craft beer. Walked in there yesterday and about fell over! But that's for the BeerSpy report!

Poured into my new favorite Sam Adams glass, Gumballhead is vibrant gold with hints of orange. I think maize seems to be a fitting descriptor. Expected wheat induced haze only adds to the appearance. Little particles do swim around in the glass, but that's not always a bad thing. Light white head dissipates very quickly to almost nothing. Smells great! Hop nose is floral and seems to be perfect for the wheaty malt character. Tastes like I wish every wheat beer would taste. The wheats I have tasted seem to miss the hop character that FFF's has found with this beer. Of course, it is FFF's we're talking about here! Mouthfeel is hard to nail down. Seems a little watery, but at the same time I get the cloying feeling that most wheats leave on my tongue. This is an extremely drinkable beer and I don't think that these 6 are going to make it 24 hours in my fridge! Perfect Summer refreshment. And Spring... And Fall. (1,070 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Great hoppy summer quencher here.

Nice clear beer with a light yellow color and a creamy head.

Smell is slightly spicy from the wheat and a great amarillo hop aroma.

Taste is a little sharp upfront with a tang from the wheat. The hops kick in with a nice fruity flavor and the finish is nice and dry.

This is great version of a wheat beer, american style. It has inspired me to brew my own american wheat and do some dry hopping with amarillo. (447 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Very very good session beer. 5.5abv makes you think maybe I should keep this going at a moderate pace but that just makes you enjoy the drink more.

A: Pours a good golden color with an amazing head on it. Head goes quick and leaves a nice calm looking top to the beer.

S: This smells great! I love the smell of the citrus and the wheat of the beer, this beer is worth just smelling to enjoy!

T: I get a strong taste of grapefruit and floral notes to this beer, I'm not to big of fan of grapefruit but it is starting to grow on me mainly due to this beer.

M: Crisp and very clean mouthfeel but a little bit on the fizzy side of carbonation, but still very good after about 5 to 10 minutes of drinking.

D: Extremely drinkable very session-able a go to drink among many of the FFF brewing! Everything I've had I've loved! (823 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Crisp amber ale with a nice white snowcap head.

Smell: Beautiful. Full of hops with a sweet lingering aroma. The pine really is first on the nose followed by a plethora of fruity notes.

Taste: Good blend of malts and hops. Has a sweeter flavor than most American Wheats. Gumballhead has A LOT of fruity flavors that hit the tongue first. Very little bitterness to the bear.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated beer.

Overall: The beer is one of my favorites and hard to give an unbiased review. In the spirit of 3F's... It's not normal. It's unlike most wheat beers. Has a wonderful aroma and taste while lacking traditional bitterness. Another fantastic beer!

Serving type: Beer (689 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%

Serving temp: 45F Serving Glass: Weizen Glass

Aroma: Lots of hops in this brew. Strong floral & grassy notes with a sugary sweetness there too. I finally get that asprin like quality that some people have mentioned plague Amarillo hops. Doesn't really detract from the beer though.

Appearance: Cloudy blonde with a bone white head and great lacing. Just like a Wheat Beer should look, with the exception of what looks to be relatively low carbonation for the style.

Taste: The hops obviously hit me first and linger for a long time atferwards, too. Reminds me of several citrus fruits, most notably orange. The sweetness kicks in next and gives balance to the moderate bitterness of the beer. Sweet like sugary candy. Finally, I realize that this is indeed a Wheat Beer. A little bit of fruity yeastiness peeks through at the end and just a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and lively carbonation is here, along with a thicker feel to it than I expected out of a Wheat Beer. Still light and refreshing, however.

Drinkability: I really could drink this brew all day, Summer, Winter, Autumn, Spring.. Interesting (very hoppy) interpetation of this style. (1,171 characters)

Gumballhead from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.